Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,152 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (34912 Views)

Da Fvck Is South South? Why No North North Or West West Or East East? / School Kids Referred To Buhari. As President Buhari / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by tonychristopher: 6:46am On Feb 08, 2015
firstEVA:
I am not interested in your igbo argument, my point is South South should not be referred to as Eastern Nigeria, it used to be peroid.
Another girl they graduated with Toto has spoken

4 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 08, 2015
tonychristopher:

Another girl they graduated with Toto has spoken
they say you are a common thief why? Must you steal? Whatever happened to hard work?

The next time you go to Aba market to steal again, you will meet your end, don't say you were not told, thief.

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by tonychristopher: 8:50am On Feb 08, 2015
firstEVA:
they say you are a common thief why? Must you steal? Whatever happened to hard work?

The next time you go to Aba market to steal again, you will meet your end, don't say you were not told, thief.

She has gone off the hook

Look at her semantics and analogy

What is wrong with girls of your type making and intelligent submission

5 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 9:49am On Feb 08, 2015
tonychristopher:

She has gone off the hook

Look at her semantics and analogy

What is wrong with girls of your type making and intelligent submission
change that and to an, thief.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by tonychristopher: 10:04am On Feb 08, 2015
firstEVA:
change that and to an, thief.

Is this English or patua

Maybe you know a thief because your father was burned as a thief

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 10:10am On Feb 08, 2015
tonychristopher:

Is this English or patua

Maybe you know a thief because your father was burned as a thief
your problem is strong headedness, you never listen, don't worry, every day for the thief one day for the owner.

By the way, your English sucks, it's burnt.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by tonychristopher: 10:56am On Feb 08, 2015
firstEVA:
your problem is strong headedness, you never listen, don't worry, every day for the thief one day for the owner.

By the way, your English sucks, it's burnt.

Oh my english is cookie and its burnt

Why don't you go back to the basics

You father must be a thief for you to know one

2 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by iconize(m): 11:46am On Feb 08, 2015
firstEVA:
geo political zone
firstEVA:
even though south south is a Nigerian political creation, it has become a geographical zone.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Feb 08, 2015
firstEVA:
your mama tongue
Ko ni dafun iya e!! Oloshi. Oloriburuku •

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Feb 08, 2015
mhizenugu:
Ko ni dafun iya e!! Oloshi. Oloriburuku •
did I ask you for you mum's two names? Sighs.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by MadCow1: 9:18pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
Whenever I read ceertain articles or watch adverts, movies or even doccies, I've noticed that S/South is called the east.

Even in government or commerce you find that Port Harcourt especially is referred to as the Eastern Region so certain companies with branches in PH call it the regional HQ for the East. I was watching an advert on Nigerian tourism and it was said that "Tinapa is located in the state of Cross River, Eastern Nigeria"

I just want to know why S/South and more specifically the States of Rivers, Cross river and Akwa-Ibom are called East in formal parlance and then South South/Niher Delta when revenue sharing is brought up

Because it lies East of the Niger River..
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Deltagiant: 9:22pm On Mar 14, 2015
The reason is that "south south" is mostly an adminstrative expression and less of a geographical entity. 70 percent of the "south south" was in the former geographical EASTERN NIGERIA. It was an idea fashioned by Dr. Ekwueme and was accepted by the government of the day to group the Southern minorities in a political Union.

Therefore, the concept of "South south" is a geographical fraud as ABA in Abia state for example is more geographically southerly than BENIN or OGOJA which is in the "south south". It is all politics.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by jreyez(m): 9:22pm On Mar 14, 2015
I don't have anything useful to contribute.. Just..

DOWNLOAD and listen to this cool rap song by me...
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/7dd88312
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Adiwana: 9:23pm On Mar 14, 2015
I dont know about that stuff but i think its rather west.due geographical position of the earth in which its divided into East(includes RUSSIA,BULGARIA,UKRAINE..Etc) and West(USA,FRANCE,UK,CANADA,AUSTRALIA.etc) in which SA is part of west
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Optional2(f): 9:23pm On Mar 14, 2015
Ask GEJ dat question
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by lomprico(m): 9:24pm On Mar 14, 2015
firstEVA:
you are not only unenlightened but very ignorant, how many geopolitical zones do we have in Nigeria? Can you pls name them if you aren't unenlightened?
Shut up! And stop disgracing urself on a national forum. Freeglobe is right, there is nothing like south-south. If it is south, it is south.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 14, 2015
Y' all brain-dead! South South is a geopolitical term used in referring to collective minority regions in the Southern part of Nigeria not a cardinal point. Big heads! wink cool

6 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by angelo5uk(m): 9:25pm On Mar 14, 2015
Chai... See Ibos wan claim South South by force because of Oye

4 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 14, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:
There is no such thing as south south in geographical cardinal points. Only in the demented minds of nigerian "elites" would such terms get coined up to divide Igbo people. I went to Akwa Ibom the other day and was surprised to see Igbo communities speaking Igbo like me and telling me they are south south.

Look at google map of akwa ibom. You'll see "Nwaigwe", "Obete Ukwu" and other Igbo towns.
I just wish this Ohaneze will unite all Igbos only under one state and start fighting for real autonomy.

That one state called biafra is an old eastern fraud.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Chrisx1x(m): 9:26pm On Mar 14, 2015
So this made fp?
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by brandmix: 9:27pm On Mar 14, 2015
as in ehh. especially here in the west.
I remember spending hours trying to explain to a Yoruba friend of mine that Enugu and calabar have virtually nothing in common.
people need to travel more

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Mar 14, 2015
Nigeria is a contraption. We do not even know the cardinal point of the compass.

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by valmunich(m): 9:27pm On Mar 14, 2015
tonychristopher:
Wise men always come from the east
grin grin

How is that related to the topic ¿

3 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
Whenever I read ceertain articles or watch adverts, movies or even doccies, I've noticed that S/South is called the east.

Even in government or commerce you find that Port Harcourt especially is referred to as the Eastern Region so certain companies with branches in PH call it the regional HQ for the East. I was watching an advert on Nigerian tourism and it was said that "Tinapa is located in the state of Cross River, Eastern Nigeria"

I just want to know why S/South and more specifically the States of Rivers, Cross river and Akwa-Ibom are called East in formal parlance and then South South/Niher Delta when revenue sharing is brought up

How old r u?...until ibb created the six geopolitical zones...it used to be north east and west

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by lomprico(m): 9:28pm On Mar 14, 2015
FreeGlobe:

grin grin grin

get out my way olodo
She be real olodo chai! Lol

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by IYANGBALI: 9:29pm On Mar 14, 2015
Omi eko,eko ni,same ni
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by udeh3(m): 9:30pm On Mar 14, 2015
cheruv:
the SS was created by ohaneze during the '95 constitutional conference.that creation was the basis of abacha's six state creation the next year.
the SS also has 40% of the Igbo landmass which are in these states
1]Anioma
2]Rivers
3]AKS
4]CRS
ohaneze should integrate Anioma into the SE and demand that rivers return oyigbo and ONELGA to Abia and Imo respectively.
Igbos are always their brother's keeper

Who told you that Rivers are Ibos? The only tribe out of all d tribes in Rivers that speaks like the ibos are the Ikwere people. So Rivers are not ibos!

I remember the first time I came to the West, anybody that refers to me uses the word 'omo ibo ni'. It takes some level of explanation to actually let them know that I'm not an Ibo person that I'm from the south-south

5 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Mar 14, 2015
That type of classification only exists in Nigeria. Gowon formulated this type of classification so as to make the minority posses a voice which would put a stop to the threat of the nation Biafra to the oil wells at the beginning of the civil war.......i.e by giving them a voice, they could decide to join either party.......initially we simply had a northen region, eastern region and western region.......It was a war strategy, a psycological one though......(ask questions they have never killed no one)
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by mmsen: 9:31pm On Mar 14, 2015
East is more accurate geographically than "south-south" which is a nonsensical term in the first place, a true indication of the level of English proficiency at a governmental level.

I get that they wish to differentiate themselves from Igboland but something that sounds less ignorant would be better.

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by HopeAtHand: 9:31pm On Mar 14, 2015
Freeglobe, forget all the talk about geography and level of intelligence bla bla bla.

In the federal republic of Nigeria, there are six geopolitical zones which includes Souhsouth .It is structured that way as to cater for southern minorities..It wasn't created for fun.

The smaller tribes and nationalities of Southern Nigeria if left in Southwest or Southeast Nigeria will forever be suppressed by Yoruba or Igbo.It was necessary that they be recognized by way of creating that geopolitical region so as to ensure their voices be heard at all levels of government.

So Southeast is Igboland.
Southwest is Yorubaland.
Southsouth or preferably Southernmost south for minirities of the south.

I want Igbos to realise that 'what was',' how it used to be' is simply past tense, forget about the past and move on..minorities are alot more smarter and appreciate the 'freedom' from Eastern region and will do absolutely anything to maintain our freedom..The earlier the better.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by scholes0(m): 9:32pm On Mar 14, 2015
Talking purely from a geographical point of view, Some parts of the SS are actually South Western (Edo, Delta, Bayelsa), while the other three are South Eastern (Rivers, Cross River, Akwa Ibom)
But since SW and SE are already associated strongly with yorubas and igbos respectively, it became "imperative" to coin out a name to represent the southern minorities and their zone, into a geopolitical region that is neither yoruba nor igbo in nature.
If you all remember well, the SS states of Edo, Delta were once in the Yoruba dominated Western region, while others like Akwa Ibom and Cross river, were once in the Igbo dominated Eastern region---- the Niger Delta people wanted none of that anymore, and wanted to assert their own independence, so they all coalesced into a separate southern region.
In the correct terms, the South West is properly termed, but the so called "South East" of today, should actually be East Central, and the so called "south-south" should be just South.

7 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by lovat(m): 9:33pm On Mar 14, 2015
daben1:
You go school at all?
yes, she is a law student so shut ur trap and face front

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Abubakar Shekau Appears In New Year Video / Ongoing Construction Of Nsukka Township Stadium In Enugu (Photos) / “Underwear Bomber” Abdulmuttalab Remorseful — Father

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.