Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,654 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (34863 Views)

Da Fvck Is South South? Why No North North Or West West Or East East? / School Kids Referred To Buhari. As President Buhari / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by safarigirl(f): 8:32am On Feb 07, 2015
Whenever I read ceertain articles or watch adverts, movies or even doccies, I've noticed that S/South is called the east.

Even in government or commerce you find that Port Harcourt especially is referred to as the Eastern Region so certain companies with branches in PH call it the regional HQ for the East. I was watching an advert on Nigerian tourism and it was said that "Tinapa is located in the state of Cross River, Eastern Nigeria"

I just want to know why S/South and more specifically the States of Rivers, Cross river and Akwa-Ibom are called East in formal parlance and then South South/Niher Delta when revenue sharing is brought up

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by mancanoe: 8:45am On Feb 07, 2015
Old Eastern Nigeria, go read ur history about your country.

60 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Huffington: 9:08am On Feb 07, 2015
Look at the Map of Nigeria and you will know why.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by fuckerholic(m): 9:09am On Feb 07, 2015
They are pure and core eastern states don't mind this south south name..it was shared just for constituencies and resource sharing and development. But they are easterners

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by daben1(m): 9:14am On Feb 07, 2015
You go school at all?

7 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 9:45am On Feb 07, 2015
Only an unenlightened person would call South South Nigeria, east.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by safarigirl(f): 10:15am On Feb 07, 2015
mancanoe:
I know all about that angle, I was a history student in secondary school (A plus even till WAEC grin) ....I just want to know why there is double speak in Nigeria

There is no such term as South South in Geography, only Nigeria uses that word

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Abagworo(m): 10:20am On Feb 07, 2015
If you take a look at this map you will notice the area I marked
with red line covering Akwa Ibom and Cross River States. That
area is geographicaly Southeast. Igboland could either be East
central or South central as against wrongly termed Southeast.
Niger Delta consists mainly Rivers,Bayelsa and Delta States with
small fractions of Imo and Abia States. South-South is a wrong
coinage for Southern minorities or more precisely parts of the
South outside Igbo and Yoruba area.
So in essence none of the terms used represents reality.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Ngwakwe: 10:33am On Feb 07, 2015
Abagworo:

Please look for a better map and not this politically doctored map where Borno State is geographically equal to South-west or 3 times larger than South-East.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by FreeGlobe(f): 10:33am On Feb 07, 2015
firstEVA:
Only an unenlightened person would call South South Nigeria, east.
what is South South? What of North North? You are the unenlightened person here

90 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:42am On Feb 07, 2015
There is no such thing as south south in geographical cardinal points. Only in the demented minds of nigerian "elites" would such terms get coined up to divide Igbo people. I went to Akwa Ibom the other day and was surprised to see Igbo communities speaking Igbo like me and telling me they are south south.

Look at google map of akwa ibom. You'll see "Nwaigwe", "Obete Ukwu" and other Igbo towns.
I just wish this Ohaneze will unite all Igbos only under one state and start fighting for real autonomy.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 07, 2015
FreeGlobe:

what is South South? What of North North? You are the unenlightened person here
you are not only unenlightened but very ignorant, how many geopolitical zones do we have in Nigeria? Can you pls name them if you aren't unenlightened?

6 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by nzeadachie: 11:03am On Feb 07, 2015
mancanoe:
WHAT THEY'RE DOING IS DIVIDE AND RULE CREATING ENEMY BETWEEN BROTHER AND BROTHER

9 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Activity77(m): 11:09am On Feb 07, 2015
firstEVA:
you are not only unenlightened but very ignorant, how many geopolitical zones do we have in Nigeria? Can you pls name them if you aren't unenlightened?

Smh for unintelligent shouting in public sphere as if dey are intelligent,I advice u 2 read with meaning were d OP is coming 4rm

30 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by FreeGlobe(f): 11:10am On Feb 07, 2015
firstEVA:
you are not intelligent. Go and study geography and come back and tell us what is south south and why there is no north north

38 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:11am On Feb 07, 2015
nzeadachie:
WHAT THEY'RE DOING IS DIVIDE AND RULE CREATING ENEMY BETWEEN BROTHER AND BROTHER

I tell you. There are Igbo towns in Kogi, Benue etc but they just dey deny.

13 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by tonychristopher: 11:13am On Feb 07, 2015
Wise men always come from the east

23 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by tonychristopher: 11:15am On Feb 07, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:
There is no such thing as south south in geographical cardinal points. Only in the demented minds of nigerian "elites" would such terms get coined up to divide Igbo people. I went to Akwa Ibom the other day and was surprised to see Igbo communities speaking Igbo like me and telling me they are south south.

Look at google map of akwa ibom. You'll see "Nwaigwe", "Obete Ukwu" and other Igbo towns.
I just wish this Ohaneze will unite all Igbos only under one state and start fighting for real autonomy.

We Igbo know ourselves be it in south whatever ..udo di nwanne

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by tonychristopher: 11:17am On Feb 07, 2015
safarigirl:
Whenever I read ceertain articles or watch adverts, movies or even doccies, I've noticed that S/South is called the east.

Even in government or commerce you find that Port Harcourt especially is referred to as the Eastern Region so certain companies with branches in PH call it the regional HQ for the East. I was watching an advert on Nigerian tourism and it was said that "Tinapa is located in the state of Cross River, Eastern Nigeria"

I just want to know why S/South and more specifically the States of Rivers, Cross river and Akwa-Ibom are called East in formal parlance and then South South/Niher Delta when revenue sharing is brought up

I doubt if you ever did geography in school ...what sort if educated monkeys are we churning out

How many cardinal points do we have

Consult www.Google.com

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 07, 2015
FreeGlobe:

you are not intelligent. Go and study geography and come back and tell us what is south south and why there is no north north
you are the dullard here, look Nigeria Map carefully and you will see why there is nothing like North North.

8 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by FreeGlobe(f): 11:44am On Feb 07, 2015
firstEVA:
you are the dullard here, look Nigeria Map carefully and you will see why there is nothing like North North.
grin grin grin

get out my way olodo

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by size38: 11:53am On Feb 07, 2015
Those who say that are still living in the past. We have gone past that stage in life. As it is today, I see myself first as a Nigerian. Second, a Rivers and south-south man. South East is a word used during, before Naija civil war and during independence too. As it is today, am a south-south man. Am a Rivers man. Am a Nigerian. South- East are the Igbos.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Feb 07, 2015
FreeGlobe:

grin grin grin

get out my way olodo
the dunce has realised how stu.pid she is cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Ojiofor: 12:10pm On Feb 07, 2015
size38:
Those who say that are still living in the past. We have gone past that stage in life. As it is today, I see myself first as a Nigerian. Second, a Rivers and south-south man. South East is a word used during, before Naija civil war and during independence too. As it is today, am a south-south man. Am a Rivers man. Am a Nigerian. South- East are the Igbos.
what we have before and after independence was eastern region not south east.

26 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by cheruv: 12:14pm On Feb 07, 2015
the SS was created by ohaneze during the '95 constitutional conference.that creation was the basis of abacha's six state creation the next year.
the SS also has 40% of the Igbo landmass which are in these states
1]Anioma
2]Rivers
3]AKS
4]CRS
ohaneze should integrate Anioma into the SE and demand that rivers return oyigbo and ONELGA to Abia and Imo respectively.
Igbos are always their brother's keeper

11 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by kettykin: 12:14pm On Feb 07, 2015
size38:

Are you not yoruba again

49 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Feb 07, 2015
size38:

SS people ignore this jobless yoruba boy. Very shameless thing..!

33 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Feb 07, 2015
size38:

SS and SE people ignore this jobless yoruba man.

35 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by FreeGlobe(f): 12:26pm On Feb 07, 2015
firstEVA:
you're an illiterate. Stop mentioning me. You are only useful as a housewife

45 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Feb 07, 2015
FreeGlobe:

you're an illiterate. Stop mentioning me. You are only useful as a housewife
you are a retärd, a Möron like you will not do well in anything, too slow cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by neenar: 1:07pm On Feb 07, 2015
firstEVA:
He is. Free globe is a gay dude.

5 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Feb 07, 2015
neenar:
He is. Free globe is a gay dude.
oh, he must also be a raving lunatic.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Pete Edochie & Obiano At The Commissioning Of Stanel World In Awka (Photos) / Army Reveals Why Shiite Members Were Attacked Again In Abuja. Photos / Leaked Tape: Amaechi’s Wife Begs Nigerians To Pray For Her Husband, Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.