Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (34921 Views)

Da Fvck Is South South? Why No North North Or West West Or East East? / School Kids Referred To Buhari. As President Buhari / Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by manny4life(m): 3:48am On Mar 15, 2015
LoveDecay:

Some people talking can't spell foreign policy.

Perhaps you have done a great deal by spelling it, I can see anything Biafra gives you a nightmare... cheesy cheesy

Lmao at foreign policy and this supposedly will be from hostile entities. People and their delusions. undecided
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by naijaking1: 4:41am On Mar 15, 2015
This thread is about celebration of illiteracy.
Why is Nigeria called a West African country
And to think it made front page is an even bigger joke!
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 4:43am On Mar 15, 2015
FreeGlobe:

you're an illiterate. Stop mentioning me. You are only useful as a housewife

Chei!
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by LoveDecay(m): 4:53am On Mar 15, 2015
manny4life:

Perhaps you have done a great deal by spelling it, I can see anything Biafra gives you a nightmare... cheesy cheesy

Lmao at foreign policy and this supposedly will be from hostile entities. People and their delusions. undecided

Please use Wikipedia and get informed - I know you won't understand the detailed literature in this case. I bet you never new The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli was in part foreign policy. Each country has a foreign policy ..... Blah blah.blah my fingers are tire
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by LoveDecay(m): 5:05am On Mar 15, 2015
class0247:
Igbo people want us to be part of them..lol..Some Nigerians are superior to some.I can believe Igbo people really envy us but guess what we don't want to associate or be part of you.take it or leave it,map or no map.it stand as south south and we love every bit of it

Becareful now that some eastern state produce oil, they won't only want to be part of the Niger-delta, which they don't understand isn't just a name but a symbol. They want to be called south south of ibo extraction.

For the OP , asking what SS means lemme school you , am sure your one of those Wikipedia users.

SS has little to the with geography but more with geopolitics, which is about power and resources identified with a particular location. Its about power rotation, resource allocation and stability. Its about federal character which is what you Wikipedia wankers, are crying against. The same federal character that ensured we had only ibo senate presidents in OBJ regime.

The same federal character that ensured Stella and Ngozi and co are part of the fec, the same federal character that babtized GEJ for his previous election.
The same concept that gave legitimacy to Asari and his militants.

This very federal character and geopolitics is the very bone of contention of the east because from the time of

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by jackpot(f): 5:47am On Mar 15, 2015
FreeGlobe:
@firstEVA
you're an illiterate. Stop mentioning me. You are only useful as a housewife
see finishing! Chei!! shocked
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by jackpot(f): 5:58am On Mar 15, 2015
firstEVA:
I am not interested in your igbo argument, my point is South South should not be referred to as Eastern Nigeria, it used to be peroid.
your ignorance is absolutely phenomenal and astonishing shocked
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by owobokiri(m): 6:23am On Mar 15, 2015
jackpot:
see finishing! Chei!! shocked

Ruthlessly done too. . .
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Tekzyflex(m): 6:24am On Mar 15, 2015
firstEVA:
Only an unenlightened person would call South South Nigeria, east.

Thank u my dear... Am a core Ijaw boy from the southern part of Nigeria but where I did my youth service the Yorubas were calling me Omo ibo. I just laff but I no say Dem dey Jonze

3 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by allcomage: 6:33am On Mar 15, 2015
[quote author=udeh3 post=31622296]

Who told you that Rivers are Ibos? The only tribe out of all d tribes in Rivers that speaks like the ibos are the Ikwere people. So Rivers are no

Did you listen to your self? The only tribe that speaks like Ibo is ikwerre. It took you time to explain to them you are not Ibo that you are from south south. Why are you explaining?you should have told them your ethnicity if you are ijaw,efic,kalabari,anang,Benin,urobo,Ibo etc because that was what they wanted to know. Okay,which state and tribe are because south south is not recognized in our constitution.

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by cheruv: 6:44am On Mar 15, 2015
scholes0:

that is the point of the whole thread discussion.
leave the Niger deltans alone...shebi we are not useful to you guyz...
stop trying to bully around with your number.... Niger Deltans are wiser now.
something tells me you're very petty! angry
as long as those tribes are Igbo and Igboid in outlook and character,they'd be incorporated into the realm kiss another nation we'd give a free pass is Mmoño or present AKS.apart from them,the other SS tribes should find their square root√
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 6:46am On Mar 15, 2015
class0247:
Igbo people want us to be part of them..lol..Some Nigerians are superior to some.I can believe Igbo people really envy us but guess what we don't want to associate or be part of you.take it or leave it,map or no map.it stand as south south and we love every bit of it
which part of the southsouth re u from...
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by cheruv: 7:02am On Mar 15, 2015
jazzydee:

where are they which local government. stop lying
ika LG of AKS with HQ at uruan
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Masturbation(f): 7:06am On Mar 15, 2015
Rivers State is one of the 36 states of Nigeria. According to census data released in 2006, the state has a population of 5,185,400, making it the sixth-most populous state in the country.[3] Its capital, Port Harcourt is the largest city and is economically significant as the centre of Nigeria's oil industry. Rivers State is bounded on the South by the Atlantic Ocean, to the North by Imo, Abia and Anambra States, to the East by Akwa Ibom State and to the West by Bayelsa and Delta states. It is home to many indigenous ethnic groups: Ikwerre, Ibani, Opobo, Okrika, and Kalabari, Etche, Ogba, Ogoni, Engenni and others.[4]

The inland part of Rivers state consists of tropical rainforest; towards the coast the typical Niger Delta environment features many mangrove swamps.

Rivers state, named after the many rivers that border its territory, was part of the Oil Rivers Protectorate from 1885 till 1893, when it became part of the Niger Coast Protectorate. In 1900 the region was merged with the chartered territories of the Royal Niger Company to form the colony of Southern Nigeria. The state was formed in 1967 with the split of the Eastern Region of Nigeria. Until 1996 the state contained the area which is now in Bayelsa
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Masturbation(f): 7:09am On Mar 15, 2015
'Southeastern Nigeria was one of the initial Nigerian twelve states that were created during the Nigerian civil war. It was later divided into the present Akwa Ibom State and Cross River State. In the 1990s, Southeast became the name of one of the six geo-polictical zones consisting of the Abia State, Anambra State, Ebonyi State, Enugu State, Imo State.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by cheruv: 7:09am On Mar 15, 2015
class0247:
we'd love to see what you'd do when Igbos come to incorporate those Igboid areas lying in the SS grin yes you love the SS,but its clear you detest the Igbo parts of the SS angry
enjoy the waving flag smiley

6 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by owobokiri(m): 7:10am On Mar 15, 2015
cheruv:

something tells me you're very petty! angry
as long as those tribes are Igbo and Igboid in outlook and character,they'd be incorporated into the realm kiss another nation we'd give a free pass is Mmoño or present AKS.apart from them,the other SS tribes should find their square root√

Sto wasting your time with that fake "south southerner". . He is just goading you into some sort of confrontation with folks from the eastern minority areass here. . We know where he is from. .
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by tonychristopher: 7:51am On Mar 15, 2015
I am taking pains to reply you this...I have seen that your idiotic attribute is high but know that wise men have a way of coming from east

xtervaganza:
yes, like the famous zero ojukwu

We remember his wisdom in sacrificing his people's blood
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by ezioyi(m): 8:02am On Mar 15, 2015
This people will never change or reason it is a pity igbos are shouting goodluck goodluck hm u can't force one to be ur brother. Igbos, learn from history, i trust buhari more than any ijaw man or so called south-south person. Igbos wake up wake up. I weep for my people

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by tonychristopher: 8:06am On Mar 15, 2015
When they created south south they tought that they are dealing with igbo but they dont know that they offer us double

We take from south east and south south

3 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by safarigirl(f): 8:07am On Mar 15, 2015
Scholes007:
OP raised this issue because of deep rooted hatred against the Igbos who in his/her mind is east as long as Nigeria is concernedgrin grin
Don't be offended eastern Nigeria include those places you mentioned
lol....sorry, I can't hate Igbos. I'm partly Deltan(Aniocha) and partly from Abia, so I have links to both South South and South East and I'm fully Igbo

9 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by 867Y5309(m): 8:52am On Mar 15, 2015
size38:
Those who say that are still living in the past. We have gone past that stage in life. As it is today, I see myself first as a Nigerian. Second, a Rivers and south-south man. South East is a word used during, before Naija civil war and during independence too. As it is today, am a south-south man. Am a Rivers man. Am a Nigerian. South- East are the Igbos.
GOD BLESS YOU..

ARE THE IGBOS PLANNING TO SEIZE SS?
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by 867Y5309(m): 8:56am On Mar 15, 2015
safarigirl:
Whenever I read ceertain articles or watch adverts, movies or even doccies, I've noticed that S/South is called the east.

Even in government or commerce you find that Port Harcourt especially is referred to as the Eastern Region so certain companies with branches in PH call it the regional HQ for the East. I was watching an advert on Nigerian tourism and it was said that "Tinapa is located in the state of Cross River, Eastern Nigeria"

I just want to know why S/South and more specifically the States of Rivers, Cross river and Akwa-Ibom are called East in formal parlance and then South South/Niher Delta when revenue sharing is brought up
YOU'RE JUST AN IBO GIRL LOOKING FOR MORE TERRITORIES.. HISTORY CAN NEVA BE REWRITTEN... THESE WERE THE EXACT REASONS WHY IBOS WERE MASSACRED IN KANO IN 1953, 1966 AND 2012.. YOU GUYS ARE TOO DOMINEERING
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by 867Y5309(m): 8:59am On Mar 15, 2015
Masturbation:
Rivers State is one of the 36 states of Nigeria. According to census data released in 2006, the state has a population of 5,185,400, making it the sixth-most populous state in the country.[3] Its capital, Port Harcourt is the largest city and is economically significant as the centre of Nigeria's oil industry. Rivers State is bounded on the South by the Atlantic Ocean, to the North by Imo, Abia and Anambra States, to the East by Akwa Ibom State and to the West by Bayelsa and Delta states. It is home to many indigenous ethnic groups: Ikwerre, Ibani, Opobo, Okrika, and Kalabari, Etche, Ogba, Ogoni, Engenni and others .[4]

The inland part of Rivers state consists of tropical rainforest; towards the coast the typical Niger Delta environment features many mangrove swamps.

Rivers state, named after the many rivers that border its territory, was part of the Oil Rivers Protectorate from 1885 till 1893, when it became part of the Niger Coast Protectorate. In 1900 the region was merged with the chartered territories of the Royal Niger Company to form the colony of Southern Nigeria. The state was formed in 1967 with the split of the Eastern Region of Nigeria. Until 1996 the state contained the area which is now in Bayelsa
WHY CAN'T THESE IBOS READ THIS?
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by phenol33(m): 9:16am On Mar 15, 2015
firstEVA:
you are not only unenlightened but very ignorant, how many geopolitical zones do we have in Nigeria? Can you pls name them if you aren't unenlightened?
u er the real unenlightened person here... do u not remember the Dim odimegwu Ojukwu was the governor general of the eastern region? where is south south then?
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Okeikpu(m): 9:21am On Mar 15, 2015
udeh3:

Who told you that Rivers are Ibos? The only tribe out of all d tribes in Rivers that speaks like the ibos are the Ikwere people. So Rivers are not ibos!

I remember the first time I came to the West, anybody that refers to me uses the word 'omo ibo ni'. It takes some level of explanation to actually let them know that I'm not an Ibo person that I'm from the south-south
Mumu (・∀・)һє єνєň Ԁєʏ ѧňsɰєяs Mя UԀє , єɢһu!
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by xtervaganza(m): 9:24am On Mar 15, 2015
tonychristopher:
I am taking pains to reply you this...I have seen that your idiotic attribute is high but know that wise men have a way of coming from east

a man with idiotic attributes is one who fights a war he has no chance of winning.

A tribe without idiotic attributes is one that follows a foolish leader to their certain death blindly only for their zero coward leader to elope grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by NigerMan1: 9:28am On Mar 15, 2015
safarigirl:
Whenever I read ceertain articles or watch adverts, movies or even doccies, I've noticed that S/South is called the east.

Even in government or commerce you find that Port Harcourt especially is referred to as the Eastern Region so certain companies with branches in PH call it the regional HQ for the East. I was watching an advert on Nigerian tourism and it was said that "Tinapa is located in the state of Cross River, Eastern Nigeria"

I just want to know why S/South and more specifically the States of Rivers, Cross river and Akwa-Ibom are called East in formal parlance and then South South/Niher Delta when revenue sharing is brought up

My dear you should not be surprised at all.
The word: East, West, South, North are perfect geographical appellations of an area - whether big or small.

So if you check the map of Nigeria those areas fall within the Eastern side of Nigeria.

It seems you're confused because of the tribal attachment we hold to such terms? For example Igbo calling themselves 'Easterners', Yorubas calling themselves 'Westerners' and so on.

We created this quagmire due to political domination in the 60s - which unfortunately has created many identity crisis.

First my dear, no single tribe on earth exist on one geographical axis. People do migrate, immigrate, re-establishes domains.

For example Igbo are found in present day Delta, Rivers. Yoruba are in present day Kogi, Kwara.

So do not worry, those places are Eastern part of Nigeria map. And if you're Igbo from the East, you are simply an Igbo from the Eastern part of Nigeria. (You are not 'Easterner' or owner of the East)

Same for the Yoruba, Ijaws, Hausas etc. But unfortunately political hegemonic bias has created wrong mindset in our subconsciousness.

The South South Region.

Do you know why it was created and gazetted? To correct the imbalance the earlier problems I talked about above. And also to pacify the oil bearing communities to have a semblance of independent region.

But in reality this creation was a fraud because geographically is difficult to call most of the states as South South.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 10:16am On Mar 15, 2015
867Y5309:

WHY CAN'T THESE IBOS READ THIS?
what tribe does Etche fall under?... so wen saying y can't igbos read dz... wat do u mean?

1 Like

Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by zebra(m): 10:18am On Mar 15, 2015
safarigirl:
I know all about that angle, I was a history student in secondary school (A plus even till WAEC grin) ....I just want to know why there is double speak in Nigeria

There is no such term as South South in Geography, only Nigeria uses that word
U're right. There is no cardinal point called south south in geography, just the same way there is no north north. Thanx.
Re: Why Is South-south Often Referred To As 'the East'? by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 15, 2015
Look at em, them just carry igbos for head like gala... sm1 said earlier dat he was trying hard to convince a yoruba man dat he is not Igbo dat he is from the southsouth, then imagine how it wud be in d north... tomorrow these same ediots here making noise shouting southsouth wud go to either d north or the west and look for trouble, d ppl wudnt want to hear explainaton dat time all u wud start hearing is OmoIgbo or Inyanmiri.... once it involves sth bad the entire southsouth dats not Benin or Itsekiri becomes Igbo but the moment it involves anything good, they wud know ur region more than u do.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Ambode At APC Presidential Primary In Epe / Reno Omokri Reacts To Buhari’s 'My Credentials Still With Military' / Buhari To Receive 18-seater Innoson Motors Bus Built By Niger Delta Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.