Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian (43113 Views)

Integrity Made PMB Strong At 70,corruption Made GEJ Weak At 50(photo) / 5 Major Reason That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian / The Speech That Made GEJ President In 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Chigold101(m): 6:48am On Apr 02, 2015
GboyegaD:
I think 2, 3, 4, and 5 nailed it. Crossing the boss in my opinion shouldn't be seen as a reason why he lost the election.
do you really think some girls where abducted in Chibok last April? Humn... Okay oh

Thank GOD GMB/APC will soon be in power. Am so happy because by May 29th of 2016 our unemployed youths & graduates would have gotten jobs.

And by May 29th 2017 there will be no single unemployed graduate unless the fresh ones.

POWER will be so stable By 29th May 2016... Am so so happy.

From May 29th 2015 it will be El Dorado for Nigerians...

Thanks to GMB. Sai BABA

3 Likes

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Sodiumdawg: 6:50am On Apr 02, 2015
OK.

How dis one go give our youths job naa?
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 6:50am On Apr 02, 2015
Sanusi. In February
2014 Sanusi alleged that $20bn of Nigerian oil
revenue was unaccounted for. Rather than
investigating the claims Jonathan fired Sanusi for
his impertinence at publicly hinting of government fraud

Imagine... Som1 drew U̶̲̥̅̊® aTtention to irregularity tht surface instead of yhu to take a good look @ wht he said,,, U̶̲̥̅̊ fired him instead
IS THAT LIFE?
WHAT A LIFE SELF

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by nagoma(m): 6:50am On Apr 02, 2015
thefakestan:
In my opinion

1.GEJ is a minority.
2. The Majority. Failed him.
3. He was too good.
4. He saw the future of the baboons and dogs getting soaked in blood and he conceeded
5. Was not assertive enough
6. He was out rigged by GEJ and the APC, better planning.

Stay in denial, keep on dreaming. Don't wake up to truth and reality.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by drake2(m): 6:50am On Apr 02, 2015
cramjones:
Goodluck Jonathan has earned the dubious distinction of being the first president in Nigerian history to lose an election. In many ways, Jonathan was the architect of his own downfall. He made critical mistakes that turned the public and allies against him, and led them to gravitate towards the opposition. Here’s where it all went wrong:

1. Don’t cross the boss

When Nigeria emerged from 15 years of military rule in 1999, Jonathan’s Peoples Democratic party (PDP) was formed by wealthy retired generals to inherit power from the military. One of the godfathers was General Olusegun Obasanjo, who has governed Nigeria twice (between 1976-1979 and 1999-2007). Jonathan made the mistake of alienating Obasanjo; leading the general to write a public 18-page letter containing lacerating criticism of the president in December 2013. A party member likened Obasanjo’s hectoring of Jonathan to a father’s disappointment with his son.

Getting on the wrong side of Obasanjo is the political equivalent of crossing a mafia don
Rather than make peace with the 77-year-old, Jonathan’s office retaliated.

Getting on the wrong side of Obasanjo is the political equivalent of crossing a mafia don. You will pay. Obasanjo’s attacks on Jonathan intensified. In February, an irate Obasanjo quit the PDP and dramatically ripped up his party membership card on television.

Jonathan was naïve to think he could remain president without the support of PDP godfathers like Obasanjo. Although Nigeria is no longer under military rule, many retired millionaire generals call the shots from behind the scenes.

2. Playing fair
Previous Nigerian presidents were too cynical to expose themselves to the unpredictable risk of a fair election. The election victories of PDP presidents during the past 16 years have been partially “assisted” by electoral malpractice. That changed when Jonathan nominated Professor Attahiru Jega as the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (Inec) in 2010. Jega vowed to reform Nigeria’s electoral process to ensure free and fair elections.

The former university lecturer exuded calm authority and integrity. He has painstakingly prepared for the task over the past four years by studying the rigging methods used in previous elections, implementing an elaborate system of voter registration, training thousands of electoral staff, and introducing biometric readers to identify voters by reading their thumbprint.

Jonathan created the environment for the emergence of these changes and gave Jega the freedom and authority to conduct reforms that led to a credible election. But by giving Jega a free hand to play fair, he allowed Jega to craft the weapons that were used to oust him from power.

3. Boko Haram and the Chibok kidnaps

Jonathan’s relations with party members at times resembled a football coach antagonising his star players
When Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok in northern Nigeria, Jonathan failed to realise how much this would capture the public’s attention, both locally and internationally. His failure to speak about the kidnap for several weeks made him appear uncaring. These shortcomings were exacerbated by the behaviour of his wife, Patience, when she met the mothers of the kidnapped girls. Her ostentatious display and over-the-top emotions were mercilessly parodied.

Jonathan’s perceived casual indifference to the suffering of his people was compounded when he was photographed celebrating his niece’s lavish wedding just a few days after Boko Haram had killed 2,000 people in the town of Baga.

4. Bad management

Jonathan’s relations with party members at times resembled a football coach antagonising his star players into leaving for rival teams. His tendency to fall out with colleagues simultaneously weakened his party and strengthened the opposition. He quarrelled with one after another; leading several of them to leave the party in frustration and join the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC). The alliance between these and the opposition shoved Jonathan out of power.

5. Corruption and cronyism
Nigerians refer to their country’s resources as the “national cake” which must be shared by its citizens. There was a perception that Jonathan gave slices of the cake largely to members of his own community. Many powerful members of his government were from Jonathan’s region in the deep south of the country. Even Jonathan’s wife was appointed as a senior civil servant in his home state of Bayelsa.

There was a perception that Jonathan gave slices of the cake largely to members of his own community
Under Jonathan’s presidency many militant leaders from the oil producing Niger Delta area in the south have become very rich from government patronage and contracts. Some of them have been awarded security contracts to guard the oil installations they once protested against and attacked.

Jonathan has also pardoned a former ally accused of fraud and money laundering, increasing the cloud of suspicion hanging over his government.

These events caused deep resentment in other parts of Nigeria and created the impression that Jonathan ran a government that benefits those from his part of the country, the south, but not many others.

Jonathan even managed to get into a public feud with the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, the respected Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. In February 2014 Sanusi alleged that $20bn of Nigerian oil revenue was unaccounted for. Rather than investigating the claims Jonathan fired Sanusi for his impertinence at publicly hinting of government fraud.

Buhari’s victory is historic and unprecedented. However Jonathan was responsible almost as much as Buhari was.

Sorry for my impatience, only read number 1point.

Who was Obasanjor before 1999? Remember the giraffe neck fellow who wanted the job of UN secretary general? who was even jailed sef.

Which influence he get? I be wan type something about the Yorubas, but I have never been a bigot in my life.

I love my University though, it's in Ibadan
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by ak4God(m): 6:53am On Apr 02, 2015
Redoil:
All thanks to gej the hero of our time who in all honesty and humilty chose not to rig the election as it was been done by OBJ and tinubu so that nigeria will not divide. Yet the gworo chewing master and their perpetual slaves still voted him out. Cramjones ur gurlfriend berem has deactivated her account what about you old troll

Hide YOUR face in shame.After all ur ranting GEJ till 2078 but no results,you still have the guts to called other sophisticated region slaves,gworo masters?People like you are the major problem we have in Nigeria.A tree can never make a forest and if truly you people want to have a stake in Nigeria,its better you form an alliance with other region e.g North,SW.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by nagoma(m): 6:54am On Apr 02, 2015
OP what do you mean by loose? Was Jonathan loose? He probably was , but we seem to be discussing something different - his loss.

Please try to know the difference between LOSE and LOOSE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by danla44(m): 6:55am On Apr 02, 2015
CLUELESSNESS AND EDIOT WIFE AS FIRST LADY.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by skak(m): 6:57am On Apr 02, 2015
Another Coincidence

GMB the 4th president, in the 4th republic, was declared in the 4th month, after contesting for the 4th time.

God has a plan for GMB since

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by jaybee3(m): 6:58am On Apr 02, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Being a good man does not equate to being a good leader. This is politics. There are no permanent friends but permanent interests. If GEJ wants to appear friendly without the permanent interests of Nigerians, then he is a very bad leader. Q.E.D. Leadership is not a morality or friendship contest.
/

GBAM
GBAM
GBAM

So on point
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by kristisking(m): 6:58am On Apr 02, 2015
danla44:
CLUELESSNESS AND IDIOT WIFE AS FIRST LADY.
And we now have Illiterate president,right?Ode.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Obrafour(m): 6:59am On Apr 02, 2015
cc: iamord, gbawe and Londoner.
InvertedHammer:

What GEJ did was in his best interest. If he fights the election, he may lose it all including his life. People are angry. The Northerners have been looking for excuses to strike and such would have been a convenient excuse.

With a video evidence of Patience inciting violence against agents of change, Gbagbo's treatment would not have been far fetched.

The worst fight is fighting against everyone. Just about anyone that matters locally and internationally were against GEJ especially on the issue of Chibok girls. He would have stood no chance. His advisers did a good job this time. No more committees on committees ad infinitum.

Good riddance to rubbish. Being a good man does not equate to being a good leader.This is politics. There are no permanent friends but permanent interests. If GEJ wants to appear friendly without the permanent interests of Nigerians, then he is a very bad leader. Q.E.D. Leadership is not a morality or friendship contest.

Former president Rawlings is however hopeful
that the Boko Haram menance will be tackled
once and for all adding that “the image of
President Jonathan, a Nigerian Head of State
climbing up the stairs to go and complain about
Boko Haram to a French President is an image I
hope I will not see again.”

http://citifmonline.com/2015/04/01/electing-buhari-puts-nigeria-ahead-in-fight-against-corruption-rawlings/#sthash.zkilk6bq.dpbs

3 Likes

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by jaybee3(m): 7:00am On Apr 02, 2015
nagoma:
OP what do you mean by loose? Was Jonathan loose? He probably was , but we seem to be discussing something different - his loss.

Please try to know the difference between LOSE and LOOSE.
Badt guy

Lol

1 Like

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by CORNELPY(m): 7:01am On Apr 02, 2015
the those reason Ar so Guinness n pure correct let every Nigerian politician learn from dere
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by boyt1: 7:02am On Apr 02, 2015
finally GEJ will be celebrated in africa as a HERO. his name is already there where you find Mandela & co.
congrat.GMB pls.carry on the good legacy
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 7:02am On Apr 02, 2015
Did he really loose or lose?
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Yeeyo: 7:04am On Apr 02, 2015
Bifwoli:
GEJ lost simply bcoz the muslims wanted "one of their own" and not bcoz of all that hogwash.

GEJ did pretty well in all areas given the circumstance.
wise, inteligent n pure heart, 1 day nigerians will cry n look 4 him.

1 Like

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by primateayoola(m): 7:04am On Apr 02, 2015
[quote author=GboyegaD post=32259166]I think 2, 3, 4, and 5 nailed it. Crossing the boss in my opinion shouldn't be seen as a reason why he lost the election.[/quote

48 laws of power.

Law #1. Never outshine the master.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by greall12(m): 7:05am On Apr 02, 2015
Funny grin

So only Muslim vote for GMB. I'm Muslim i vote for GEJ 2011.

quote author=Bifwoli post=32260338]GEJ lost simply bcoz the muslims wanted "one of their own" and not bcoz of all that hogwash.

GEJ did pretty well in all areas given the circumstance.[/quote]
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 7:12am On Apr 02, 2015
baby124:
Corruption
Nepotism and impunity
Tribalism
Lack of jobs, which made more people have time for election.
Hunger in the land
u have no single, i mean zero idea of what goes on in politics, so just bcaus u read a sss1 gorvernment textbook abt bad govt, u dnt cm here n start saying rubbish, anyways ure a lady so pls go 2 romance n celeb session or d marycae n pamcake session..
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by kristisking(m): 7:13am On Apr 02, 2015
Bifwoli:
GEJ lost simply bcoz the muslims wanted "one of their own" and not bcoz of all that hogwash.

Thank you my brother.It is not everyone that reasons like you.Like what one of my neighbours said,he clearly and boldly said that they are happy because a christian will longer rule over them,and I began to wonder what is actually wrong with these people.

1 Like

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Ilaje44(m): 7:13am On Apr 02, 2015
RockMaxi:
No 2 should not have been a weakness but the real strength of Jonathan. It will take us many years to see any leader with such ability.

I really don't think Jonathan played fair at all. The main downfall of his regime is his pettiness i.e. fighting with everyone including the bosses, nepotistic and croynistic tendecies, as well as his don't give a damn attitude while thousands are being slaughtered. Anyone that think Jega was able to stop the rigging must be living on Mars. The chief riggers just changed their allegiance. The voting results in the Northwest, South east, and the South south remind me of elections in a communistic and totalitarian one party system, and they are never fair nor free.

Goodluck is far from being a good man as some people want us to believe. What a good man will be partying while people are dying?

3 Likes

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by abysirius(m): 7:15am On Apr 02, 2015
Redoil:
All thanks to gej the hero of our time who in all honesty and humilty chose not to rig the election as it was been done by OBJ and tinubu so that nigeria will not divide. Yet the gworo chewing master and their perpetual slaves still voted him out. Cramjones ur gurlfriend berem has deactivated her account what about you old troll
Let me quickly correct u. GEJ is not a saint when it comes to election rigging. The case of Ekitigate can be mentioned as an example. GEJ's mistake was actually appointing a Jega that has alwys been looking for a medium of stop rigging. Jega couldn't have achieved dt in 2011 becos he just came in. So now d question is whether pdp rigged in 2011 election or not? The answer YES, pdp rigged.

I was a presiding officer in one of d aba north polling units in 2011 as a serving corps member. We were contracted to massively rig for pdp by ochendo even though there was really no serious opppsition. Even in this very election of last week, there was rigging.. Just that it's been well managed to the bearest minimum. If jega had introduced card reader and pvc in ekiti, jega definitely would have lost his job long ago. Because every pdp member would have seen him as a threat.

My verdict:in election malpractice, gej is as guilty as every other politicians. if not worst, he's not different. In fact, Obj never rigged before the way GEJ did(edo, akwa ibom, rivers etc). Jega only outplayed him in d last election.

6 Likes

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by harmeyd: 7:15am On Apr 02, 2015
He knws his nt going to win d 2nd term cause of what he has done
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by InvertedHammer: 7:15am On Apr 02, 2015
/
GEJ performed very well in the easy aspects of leadership--spending money that is already there. How difficult is it to award a contract? By the way such contracts are easy ways of looting the treasury through over invoicing as well as patronizing one's acolytes.

But in other aspects that matter a lot, he failed woefully. A president that cannot control his underlings is useless. FFK and Okupe were all over the place insulting and denigrating anyone with diverse opinions from the presidency. GEJ remained mute. Who is the boss?

On the issue of corruption, he appeared indifferent. How can a president go on national tv to say that stealing is not corruption? And to crown it all, he rubbed it in with the pardon of Alamieghesa. FFK with all the corruption charges over his head became his campaign spokesperson and all charges were dropped. SMH. Kashamu? Oh well. It comes down to perception. The public opinion is that GEJ is in bed with corruption.
Decision making? GEJ will.take the cake as the president with the most excuses on issues of national.importance. instead of being a leader, he found comfort in blaming the opposition.for all.misgivings of his government. Is it Boko Haram? A PC! Ekitigate? A PC! Missing $20bn? A PC. GEJ single handedly made A PC very powerful by ascribing to them powers that they don't possess. He turned himself into.a victim instead of a leader.
All in all, GEJ is not a leader.

/

2 Likes

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by lexsals4real(m): 7:15am On Apr 02, 2015
Redoil:
who told u Jonathan didn't rig did election.. he did seriously bt but couldn't successful to counter the real votes of Progressive Nigerians ..so u can see Jonathan has no choice than to accept defeat in order for d peace to reign..
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Hayurdayle(m): 7:17am On Apr 02, 2015
I think I heard someone say, GEJ is not a politician, check his history, he has been in government since 1999 has vice-governor in bayelsa(since when our democracy started).
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by del5545(m): 7:18am On Apr 02, 2015
GEJ lose dis election rite 4rm d day he increased fuel 4rm 65n per litre to 140n per litre,dere was national strike ova it n he hardened his heart 4 five days lik pharaoh in d bible b4 later reduced it 2 97n per litre.dt was wen pple start loosin interest in him cos it was a new year of whc pple were xpection somtin gud 4rm him.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by double0seven(m): 7:18am On Apr 02, 2015
ignis:
I think in summary, GEJ is a good man surrounded with wicked and clueless advisers. GEJ really meant good for Nigeria, but the problem is his cabinets and his wife. They are always taking advantage of GEJ's calm nature

People should stop saying this nonsense. His Jonathan a kid, a small baby? He surrounded himself with exactly the kind of people he was attracted to, that he wished for. Those people were doing exactly what Jonathan told them to do. Did you hear anytime that he called any of them to order?

Jonathan is a pretender; a green snake under the green grass who likes to act through proxies while he pretends to hold a contrary opinion.

Even as at yesterday, policemen in Ekiti still teargas APC assembly men. Tell me again that Jonathan is unaware of this.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by isbish(m): 7:19am On Apr 02, 2015
Bifwoli:

GEJ lost beyond religious factors. Many Xtians voted Buhari...the Xtians who think beyond religion and know that development and progress in terms of economic productivity and social welfare isn't a thing of religion. Take it or leave it, Buhari is a good great man. GEJ messed up big time. He allowed his government creat more glaring division along religious line. Who goes to churches to campaign more? GEJ...it shows he is a president more for the Xtians than Nigerians. He took Muslims for granted. As a leader, never take people for granted. Be just and fair cos great leaders lead for all not for sections.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by obailala(m): 7:20am On Apr 02, 2015
cramjones:

3. Boko Haram and the Chibok kidnaps
...These shortcomings were exacerbated by the behaviour of his wife, Patience, when she met the mothers of the kidnapped girls. [size=14pt]Her ostentatious display and over-the-top emotions were mercilessly parodied...[/size].
Chai!! grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 7:20am On Apr 02, 2015
Obasanjo obviously have been the one destroying Nigeria. he was the one rigging all Nigerian elections. God will pay him back soon.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Air Force Troops Celebrate Sallah In Maiduguri. Photos / Activist Worried About Peter Obi's Letterhead (Photo) / NLC: Labour Suspends Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.