Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,896 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian (43109 Views)

Integrity Made PMB Strong At 70,corruption Made GEJ Weak At 50(photo) / 5 Major Reason That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian / The Speech That Made GEJ President In 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by SirShymexx: 8:07am On Apr 02, 2015
shinejackie:

It was part of it, that book he released few months ago where he castigated Jonathan and went to the west to make several comments against the government was a big negative to Jonathan, recall that the west hold him in high esteem, although, he appears like a saint but he is not.....anyways, l respect your opinion.. cool

OBJ's book had nothing to do with apathy/dislike in western capitals for GEJ's government. They never liked the guy. Nigeria is a massive basket case, in an egg shell - and any little thing can trigger something grave enough to destabilise a whole region in Africa. Their policy towards naija is containment, till they have time to implement what they think is the solution to the country (Balkanisation) - and GEJ just wasn't the guy.

Buhari got anointed as the next president in the UK as far back as 2013. Heck, he even met the Archbishop of Canterbury. Ditto when Hillary Clinton was the US SOS - she did say a lot of things that pointed to regime change, and both UK/US showed a lot of pro-North sentiments by alluding to the wealth disparities and how extreme poverty was more rife there than in the South. Thus making the two countries open Consulars in Kano.

Obama visited Africa twice but never went near Nigeria. And David Cameron visited only Lagos and didn't go anywhere Abuja. That is the message right there.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by mainman7(m): 8:14am On Apr 02, 2015
[b]Everybody knows that the ever myopic self-centered igbo pple are why Jona lost. They hijacked him and made sure that 85% of Capital Projects and Contracts are awarded in the East for the East. e.g Google new road projects, new Contracts during Jona regime. Jonathan single handedly used Nigerian money to fund Innoson. As Government vehicles, bought thousands of the fragile vehicles at 15 times the actual prices, yet those fools are posing as if innoson is igbo's hardwork; we are not deceived by these fools.
Like all parasitic igbo infested Ministries and establishments, a guy that went to TAN office complained bitterly that they ensured that his solid proposal to help Jonathan campaign was dished for inferior igbo ones, the even referred to him as being from "ejoo family" The ever myhopic igbos are so power hungry that they pushed the Govt to buy an extremely expensive spying tech, to spy pples emails, fb inboxes, forum accounts etc, just to manipulate, intimidate and dominate other Nigerians. igbos are truely Evil! We would have done a great disservice to the Unity of this Great Nation if we voted Jona in. [/b]
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by ceejayluv(m): 8:18am On Apr 02, 2015
All in all, Jonathan is a true democrat by accepting defeat. Buhari's supporters caused mayhem four years ago even when he didn't get the required 25% in 24 states ...
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by porka: 8:20am On Apr 02, 2015
It's all looking like everyone is regretting the lose of the president in the elections.

Now we know that it has nothing to do with performance or lack of it.

We are also knowing now that it has nothing to do with Buhari's alleged credibility.

An neither is it because of alleged corruption. No government has ever invited an international audit firm to look into its books in Nigeria. None has been that transparent. In spite of the alleged multi-million dollars Harlibuton scandal, Obasanjo still got re-elected.

Analysis by analysis, President Jonathan is being vindicated that his administration was excellent in doing public good more than other administrations.

These UK, US and other analysts can write whatever they want but the main reason he lost is the gang-up between 2 major tribes in Nigeria against a minority president.

If he was Hausa or Yoruba, 2 million Obasanjos cannot stop him from getting re-elected. We recall that late Umaru Yaradua was assisted into office by Obasanjo and we witnessed the utter ruthlessness in decimating his legacies. He even went after his daughter with the EFCC and was going to jail her.

We also recall how Bola Tinubu took on Obasanjo even as a governor and heaven did not fall.

No one wrote about Mafia Don in the above circumstances, no one called them to order nor blamed the actors for doing such to a 'Mafia Don'. Instead, Obasanjo's public perception took a nosedive; he was seen as a meddler in the case of Yaradua and as a bully in the case of Tinubu.

Note that it had nothing to do with the abysmal performance of these two guys in office.

The disdain for minority by the majority tribes is the a serious problem. Deep inside the majority's mind, any other person who is not from them is not presidential.

Jonathan's support in 2011 by the South West is nothing more than a sympathy support and a proxy war with the North. In any case, he was already a sitting president on the account of Yaradua's demise in office, it's not like they purposely voted for him.

His few supporters like Fayose, Odumakin etc were tongued lashed and literally cursed. The Lagos State governor openly castigated a group of Yoruba elder statesmen who were not part of the conspiracy as betrayers.

How can anyone explain why South West did not bother about the low collection of PVCs in its region; to the extent of planning to go into an election with 30% collection rate on February 14th. What is the explanation behind seeing evidence of underage voters across the North and the traditional media turning a blind eye?

Update:
You can check the post by mainman7 above for evidence of my theory.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by babamadiba(m): 8:23am On Apr 02, 2015
double0seven:

People should stop saying this nonsense. His Jonathan a kid, a small baby? He surrounded himself with exactly the kind of people he was attracted to, that he wished for. Those people were doing exactly what Jonathan told them to do. Did you hear anytime that he called any of them to order?

Jonathan is a pretender; a green snake under the green grass who likes to act through proxies while he pretends to hold a contrary opinion.

Even as at yesterday, policemen in Ekiti still teargas APC assembly men. Tell me again that Jonathan is unaware of this.

comment of the month! I wonder how some of this peeps reason? Cos he is a good man and surrounded by bad peeps, he no longer knows the difference between good and bad?
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by babamadiba(m): 8:28am On Apr 02, 2015
isbish:

GEJ lost beyond religious factors. Many Xtians voted Buhari...the Xtians who think beyond religion and know that development and progress in terms of economic productivity and social welfare isn't a thing of religion. Take it or leave it, Buhari is a good great man. GEJ messed up big time. He allowed his government creat more glaring division along religious line. Who goes to churches to campaign more? GEJ...it shows he is a president more for the Xtians than Nigerians. He took Muslims for granted. As a leader, never take people for granted. Be just and fair cos great leaders lead for all not for sections.
I'm a christian, I and my family voted buhari. My friends are xtains, and dey all voted buhari. All those gej till 2019 idiots are now making lame excuses for his loss. Smh
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by dammytosh: 8:30am On Apr 02, 2015
GboyegaD:
I think 2, 3, 4, and 5 nailed it. Crossing the boss in my opinion shouldn't be seen as a reason why he lost the election.

It is.

You know Obasanjo is a genius when it comes to negotiating with the NORTH to vote for outsiders. He would have negotiated something out the way he did in 2011 where he took Jonathan to the North and begged them to vote him for one single term as agreed and promising to support them in the next general election.

Having some one like Obasanjo around could have pave way for another magical negotiation but his fooolish advisers said it is just 1 vote.

1 Like

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 8:31am On Apr 02, 2015
RockMaxi:
No 2 should not have been a weakness but the real strength of Jonathan. It will take us many years to see any leader with such ability.

I hope the mag isn't promoting electoral fraud.
It was the inec that played fairness.
So no2 ought not to.be included
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by dammytosh: 8:31am On Apr 02, 2015
babamadiba:
I'm a christian, I and my family voted buhari. My friends are xtains, and dey all voted buhari. All those gej till 2019 idiots are now making lame excuses for his loss. Smh

You dey mind them.

I am a Christian and at the heat of the election, I will rather name my child Buhari instead of GoodLuck. That is how bad it is.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by babamadiba(m): 8:33am On Apr 02, 2015
dammytosh:

You dey mind them.

I am a Christian and at the heat of the election, I will rather name my child Buhari instead of GoodLuck. That is how bad it is.
hahahaha
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by mainman7(m): 8:33am On Apr 02, 2015
isbish:

Well said bro. Nigerians never seize to amaze me. They think GEJ didn't try to rig? Funny. He just couldn't cos we masses prayed to God to make our choice count. Videos of rigging are all over the net espcially in Akwa Ibom and Rivers. These are PDP riggers. They undermined the power of God. Many people speak with wanton arrogance that God will never allow GMB to lead Nigeria as if they are God...pathetic. GEJ was a bad leader who allowed midiocre people to sail his government. Ur followers are a reflection of who and what u are. He isn't much different from those clowns that ran his government down.

Don't mind those senseless scallyswags thinking they are the wisest. I laugh hard at their deception, same useless igbo pple that OUTRIGHTLY rigged all the elections in the east for Jonathan in order to perpetuate their greedy squandering of Nigerians' money are telling us gej is a saint. We ain't buying, fools. I swear, one igbo contractor on my street hard heart attack immediately they said Jona called Buhari to Congratulate him, he cried and complained bitterly saying Jona is a fool, that he shouldn't have conceded. I tell u if they had their way, the bastard igbos with dead conscience whose god is blood money, were much prepared to push Jonathan to use the military to shed innocent blood and perpetuate himself in power; that was their outright Plan actually but GOD pass them fools.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 8:37am On Apr 02, 2015
SirShymexx:

OBJ's book had nothing to do with apathy/dislike in western capitals for GEJ's government. They never liked the guy. Nigeria is a massive basket case, in an egg shell - and any little thing can trigger something grave enough to destabilise a whole region in Africa. Their policy towards naija is containment, till they have time to implement what they think is the solution to the country (Balkanisation) - and GEJ just wasn't the guy.

Buhari got anointed as the next president in the UK as far back as 2013. Heck, he even met the Archbishop of Canterbury. Ditto when Hillary Clinton was the US SOS - she did say a lot of things that pointed to regime change, and both UK/US showed a lot of pro-North sentiments by alluding to the wealth disparities and how extreme poverty was more rife there than in the South. Thus making the two countries open Consulars in Kano.

Obama visited Africa twice but never went near Nigeria. And David Cameron visited only Lagos and didn't go anywhere Abuja. That is the message right there.

Good points from your end cool

1 Like

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Moheat(m): 8:38am On Apr 02, 2015
GEJ a victim of sectional majority!
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by macof(m): 8:52am On Apr 02, 2015
He failed because he trusted the wrong people and His party marginalised the wrong people
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by IbokUtoroh(m): 8:52am On Apr 02, 2015
jonathan lost not because of boko haram or corruption but because the northerners n wasterners didnt want him. the opposition was too much n his advisers messed things up for him. opposition capitalised on the freedom of info n cause jona's downfall. the propaganda was too much, even the way the reported baga attack u wonder hw such number of people would hv been killed in that empty town. obasanjo did worst during his tenure, political killings, the police institution was demonised n extremely corrupt BODE GEORGE N SUNDAY EHINDERO comes to mind, corruption in a wide scale level, abused of power, impugnity n all what not, even we lost the most fertile land to anoda country without firing one shot BAKASSI, !But he was re-elected not based on his antecedent but because he had the numbers HAUSA due to atiku in his favour. mind you yoruba never liked him even his own backyard neighbours.

oh are we saying jonathan's reform in the power sector, auto policy, restructuring n rebuilding of decayed infracstructures, youth empowerment thru YOUWIN N SURE P, AGRICULTRE REFORMS etc were wrong?

tIME WILL TELL!

ONCE AGAIN GOODLUCK N PATIENCE TO BUHARI cos i know nigerians aint patient.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by abysirius(m): 8:53am On Apr 02, 2015
kristisking:
Thank you my brother.It is not everyone that reasons like you.Like what one of my neighbours said,he clearly and boldly said that they are happy because a christian will longer rule over them,and I began to wonder what is actually wrong with these people.

Bifwoli:
GEJ lost simply bcoz the muslims wanted "one of their own" and not bcoz of all that hogwash.

GEJ did pretty well in all areas given the circumstance.

Are u guys for real? GEJ has done nothing excellent as a president apart from him conceding defeat to Buhari. He will do down as one of d worst presidents we've had. He devalued naira, he failed to protect his citizens thereby leading to scores dying under his watch, he failed to fight corruption, a judge was slapped in d court of law with GEJ as d president and d culprit is still a free man with no trial. Too many abnormalities to mention. AIG Mbu's cse is another not to forget so soon. His utterances are crazy, IG's actions and attitude are unethica.. D list can go on and on.

U guys should stop reasoning like kids. Religious & ethnic sentiments shouldn't be allowed to reign. Like u guys, it' obvious there're no genuine reasons u wanted GEJ becos u didn't mention any in ur post. You asked for his re-election because he's Jonathan (christian name) and maybe also from ur region.
Jonahan is not a christian becos he sets no good examples that I can follow. Christians are pple that behave like Christ. They're not bias, they're not selfish. In their service, they selfless.

Guys, pls think.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by porka: 8:54am On Apr 02, 2015
shinejackie:

It was part of it, whether we agree on it or not, u don't bite the finger that feeds you, Obasanjo cannot be ruled out in the whole scheme of things, he still commands respect in the North and all serving and retired military generals operate like a cult, they support themselves, look at the first letter he wrote to congratulate Buhari, he hammered on the military institution that nurtured him and others that has been ridiculed by the Jonathan administration, forget all the disagreement u see they display outwardly in the media, they respect each other and operate like a cult, l am not a fan of OBJ but he does command respect in the Nigeria political horizon.......fact!!!

The same Obasanjo reduced the military to a toothless dog by refusing them funds for weapons and combat training.

During Obasanjo's time, the only training he allowed were the ones subjecting the military to civilian authority. The military was funded for operation last in the '80s during Shagari's administration.

Successive governments beginning from Buhari's have been decimating the capacity of the military to prevent them from military take-over even though Buhari himself came in through a coup d'etat.

On one hand these actions are positive for Nigeria since it has prevented the military from disturbing the civilian governments since 1999, nevertheless, it's the main reason the military has been having difficulty in battling the insurgencies, first in the Niger Delta and then Boko Haram in the North.

A combination of the two will be good for Nigeria. I.e. continue re-orientation to prevent military incursion into politics and training for operations, combat and acquisition of first grade weapons to quell internal aggression and repel external challenge. This has been started by Jonathan, let Buhari not come and be playing to the gallery.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 9:03am On Apr 02, 2015
porka:

The same Obasanjo reduced the military to a toothless dog by refusing them funds for weapons and combat training.

During Obasanjo's time, the only training he allowed were the ones subjecting the military to civilian authority. The military was funded for operation last in the '80s during Shagari's administration.

Successive governments beginning from Buhari's have been decimating the capacity of the military to prevent them from military take-over even though Buhari himself came in through a coup d'etat.

On one hand these actions are positive for Nigeria since it has prevented the military from disturbing the civilian governments since 1999, nevertheless, it's the main reason the military has been having difficulty in battling the insurgencies, first in the Niger Delta and then Boko Haram in the North.

A combination of the two will be good for Nigeria. I.e. continue re-orientation to prevent military incursion into politics and training for operations, combat and acquisition of first grade weapons to quell internal aggression and repel external challenge. This has been started by Jonathan, let Buhari not come and be playing to the gallery.

l agree with the bold cool
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by mainman7(m): 9:05am On Apr 02, 2015
[b]One igbo guy told me that they are intentionally manipulating BokoHaram to ensure that they continue killing pple in the North to reduce their Numbers; voters. Are the truly innocent Northerners being massacred not Nigerians? Did they tell GOD that they wanted to be born in the Northern? Those born as igbos, did they tell GOD that they wanted to be born into igbo family? I wonder why igbo are so SENSELESSLY Myopic! I was so negatively wowed that I couldn't close my mouth for a while. So, they encouraged and ensured the lackadaisical and lassivaire tackling of BokoHaram then, to encourage the killing of Northerners just to perpetuate their stealing is not corruption? Also, they were controlling the military and making so much Blood Money by ensuring that enormous money and massive security votes are constantly being chunked out by the Govt. igbos controlled the military then and were profiting so much from BokoHaram slaughtering of innocent pple; GOD punish all of u making blood money, thunder fire and strike u all to pieces. [/b]
Suddenly just before election and because they wanted to convince Nigerians, they started defeating the hitherto "invincible" BokoHaram and taking back territories. I've always wondered why the mighty Nigerian Military has pretended to be unable to crush the Boko boys all THESE WHILE. Simple, igbos are the most evil people on planet earth!
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by lonelydora: 9:11am On Apr 02, 2015
MKO4ever:
Confirmed
The vice president and mama peace were also opposition to Jonathan.
VP--No contribution
Mama peace--negative contribution

You took it out of my mouth.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by pariski(m): 9:17am On Apr 02, 2015
Jonathan has a good heart corrupted by those around him. Through out his campaign no mention how was going to fight corruption, boost the economics, solve unemployment and security issues. Mingle with corrupt politicians, protect and pardon them. He never takes issues affecting the country serious. He always believes they are hand work of his opponents to castigate him. No self appraisal of his achievement on quarterly base. He was made to believe everything is okay when the masses are crying and poverty is ravaging the country. He does not believe the electorate voting count but rigging is the rule of the day. All past elections were all rigged in favour of ruling party according to him. His administration favour few from his region. He divides Nigeria along ethnicity and religion. Bribe wrong groups for election that won't appear at voting post. He only start performing his job 6wks to election which buttress I don't care attitude of him. People are tired of his government and want change. They detest news of billions dollar missing in federation acct. and no body to give full acct. ,1billion naira allocated for feeding for presidency while majority of citizens are wallowing in penury. Offensive statement of his cronies instead of addressing the issue raised. Buhari may not be the saviour but the country need change to correct anomalies in the system I.e corruption, insecurity, impunity, unemployment. I believe it is high time for PDP should come together to rebuild their party and learn from their mistakes. it is time to disregard false hope that they are biggest party in Nigeria. I don't believe that frosty relationship with your estranged politcal father lead to downfall of mr. president but the love of majority of Nigerians for you has evaporated.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Sagamite(m): 9:21am On Apr 02, 2015
ignis:
I think in summary, GEJ is a good man surrounded with wicked and clueless advisers. GEJ really meant good for Nigeria, but the problem is his cabinets and his wife. They are always taking advantage of GEJ's calm nature

What good did he mean for Nigeria by making looting a culture?

How is he a good man when he was looting?

How is he a good man when he does not give a hoot about 14 year old girls being kidnapped by murderous terrorists and facing eternal raape?

How is he a good man when people were being slaughtered in Borno, he never went there but rushed there to campaign for elections?

Please don't fcking mis-write history.

Never refer to qualities that are weakness, lack of strongwill and pure foolishness as qualities of a "good" man.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by awelemma: 9:33am On Apr 02, 2015
jona is the highest man of peace and wisdom, which we may not see the reality now but in years to come. ask UNITED STATE OF AMERICA this thing I just said now. wink
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by DollyParton1(f): 9:44am On Apr 02, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. You mean Vito Corleone got rid of the useless mofo? There are power-brokers and kingmakers...but this went against all of them and the people, despite having a terrible international image.

There was actually no way he would have won and the handwriting was on the wall time ago. And it was a choice between leaving peacefully or in a coffin. However, most thought his advisers were going to make him commit suicide. But they acted smart by conceding defeat cos ....... (Fill in the gap) loool.

He made his first major political mistake when he shunned Obj. That was the beginning of his end.

Thank God for the North. If not for them, dude might have won, with the kind of voting pattern in the southwest coupled with the south-south and south-east voting almost totally for him.
Damn the Almajiris saved us.

My cousin just told me your Ijebu people voted mainly for GEJ because he promised them a state of their own- Ijebu state.

1 Like

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by DollyParton1(f): 9:53am On Apr 02, 2015
GboyegaD:

If he had done so well, there were high chances he would have won unless you are seeing it from the karma perspective.
If he hadn't shunned Obj, I believe he might have done a little better. I don't think Obj had to do an active work in bringing GEJ down, GEJ did all the work himself. But so far, from what I have noticed, those who were stupid enough to cross that man, ended up in political oblivion.

1 Like

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Eljay24(m): 9:55am On Apr 02, 2015
"Don't Cross the Boss(PuppetMaster). .. He pulls the Strings"

. ..
"48 laws of power
"Art Of War
"Mafia manager

cool

1 Like

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by maysimsimple(m): 9:57am On Apr 02, 2015
cramjones:
Goodluck Jonathan has earned the dubious distinction of being the first president in Nigerian history to lose an election. In many ways, Jonathan was the architect of his own downfall. He made critical mistakes that turned the public and allies against him, and led them to gravitate towards the opposition. Here’s where it all went wrong:

1. Don’t cross the boss

When Nigeria emerged from 15 years of military rule in 1999, Jonathan’s Peoples Democratic party (PDP) was formed by wealthy retired generals to inherit power from the military. One of the godfathers was General Olusegun Obasanjo, who has governed Nigeria twice (between 1976-1979 and 1999-2007). Jonathan made the mistake of alienating Obasanjo; leading the general to write a public 18-page letter containing lacerating criticism of the president in December 2013. A party member likened Obasanjo’s hectoring of Jonathan to a father’s disappointment with his son.

Getting on the wrong side of Obasanjo is the political equivalent of crossing a mafia don
Rather than make peace with the 77-year-old, Jonathan’s office retaliated.

Getting on the wrong side of Obasanjo is the political equivalent of crossing a mafia don. You will pay. Obasanjo’s attacks on Jonathan intensified. In February, an irate Obasanjo quit the PDP and dramatically ripped up his party membership card on television.

Jonathan was naïve to think he could remain president without the support of PDP godfathers like Obasanjo. Although Nigeria is no longer under military rule, many retired millionaire generals call the shots from behind the scenes.

2. Playing fair
Previous Nigerian presidents were too cynical to expose themselves to the unpredictable risk of a fair election. The election victories of PDP presidents during the past 16 years have been partially “assisted” by electoral malpractice. That changed when Jonathan nominated Professor Attahiru Jega as the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (Inec) in 2010. Jega vowed to reform Nigeria’s electoral process to ensure free and fair elections.

The former university lecturer exuded calm authority and integrity. He has painstakingly prepared for the task over the past four years by studying the rigging methods used in previous elections, implementing an elaborate system of voter registration, training thousands of electoral staff, and introducing biometric readers to identify voters by reading their thumbprint.

Jonathan created the environment for the emergence of these changes and gave Jega the freedom and authority to conduct reforms that led to a credible election. But by giving Jega a free hand to play fair, he allowed Jega to craft the weapons that were used to oust him from power.

3. Boko Haram and the Chibok kidnaps

Jonathan’s relations with party members at times resembled a football coach antagonising his star players
When Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok in northern Nigeria, Jonathan failed to realise how much this would capture the public’s attention, both locally and internationally. His failure to speak about the kidnap for several weeks made him appear uncaring. These shortcomings were exacerbated by the behaviour of his wife, Patience, when she met the mothers of the kidnapped girls. Her ostentatious display and over-the-top emotions were mercilessly parodied.

Jonathan’s perceived casual indifference to the suffering of his people was compounded when he was photographed celebrating his niece’s lavish wedding just a few days after Boko Haram had killed 2,000 people in the town of Baga.

4. Bad management

Jonathan’s relations with party members at times resembled a football coach antagonising his star players into leaving for rival teams. His tendency to fall out with colleagues simultaneously weakened his party and strengthened the opposition. He quarrelled with one after another; leading several of them to leave the party in frustration and join the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC). The alliance between these and the opposition shoved Jonathan out of power.

5. Corruption and cronyism
Nigerians refer to their country’s resources as the “national cake” which must be shared by its citizens. There was a perception that Jonathan gave slices of the cake largely to members of his own community. Many powerful members of his government were from Jonathan’s region in the deep south of the country. Even Jonathan’s wife was appointed as a senior civil servant in his home state of Bayelsa.

There was a perception that Jonathan gave slices of the cake largely to members of his own community
Under Jonathan’s presidency many militant leaders from the oil producing Niger Delta area in the south have become very rich from government patronage and contracts. Some of them have been awarded security contracts to guard the oil installations they once protested against and attacked.

Jonathan has also pardoned a former ally accused of fraud and money laundering, increasing the cloud of suspicion hanging over his government.

These events caused deep resentment in other parts of Nigeria and created the impression that Jonathan ran a government that benefits those from his part of the country, the south, but not many others.

Jonathan even managed to get into a public feud with the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, the respected Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. In February 2014 Sanusi alleged that $20bn of Nigerian oil revenue was unaccounted for. Rather than investigating the claims Jonathan fired Sanusi for his impertinence at publicly hinting of government fraud.

Buhari’s victory is historic and unprecedented. However Jonathan was responsible almost as much as Buhari was.

U need to add Mama PEj to it. She is one of the reason He lost.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Eljay24(m): 10:03am On Apr 02, 2015
This is the kinda thread you read with
"Classic music"

smiley
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by NighttWalker(m): 10:04am On Apr 02, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Is this the topic of discussion?
Kinda
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by dharamanil(m): 10:10am On Apr 02, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
The issue is that in their delusion and paranoia, the so-called supporters of GEJ (none of them can point to how GEJ affected their lives positively) fail to acknowledge that people were fed up with the inactions and redundant-committees forming tendencies of GEJ.

They should compare 2011 and 2015 results and ask themselves,"what went wrong?". I am not a Muslim and I fully supported GMB from day one because the center was not holding.

I can only pray that Aisha bring sanity and class into "First Lady"
Some said Patience is a good wife. How? Any woman who flies presidential jets, enjoys perks of the presidency, gets N1bn in refreshments annually yet fails to support the husband as well as campaign for continuity deserves to be barbecued. She was protecting her interests. Some people misconstrue that as being a "supporting and a dutiful wife". Yea right. Let GEJ end up in face me and face you after. Then we shall see how dutiful she really is as a wife. Some people just don't get it.

\

Bro it seems you r unemployed cos if u are, you wouldn't ask the effect of his tenure... Last four years I had no job, but withing his tenure, I have been able to pay my way through the university.... Except u got fired in your place of work during his time u anit got no word
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by akpanbaba: 10:15am On Apr 02, 2015
The sixth reason and indeed the main is his reliance on Akpabio.Infact AKPABIO is badluck
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by virgin14(m): 10:20am On Apr 02, 2015
Jonathan congratulate Buhari, mama
peace congratulate Buhari, Sambo
congratulate Buhari, Fayose cogratulate
Buhari, Fani kayode congratulate Buhari,
Aliyu Babagida also congratulate Buhari,
Asari dakubo congratulate Buhari!! . haaaaaha them never know say congratulations no dey stop my guy from sending them to jail as him don get the plan already.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Gunmen Burn Main Market In Imo State Community Enforcing Sit At Home Order / Zuriel Oduwole With US Top Executives - Photos / Photos Of Nigerian Soldiers Praying With Their Guns In The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.