Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian (43112 Views)

Integrity Made PMB Strong At 70,corruption Made GEJ Weak At 50(photo) / 5 Major Reason That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian / The Speech That Made GEJ President In 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by highmood(m): 7:22am On Apr 02, 2015
1. Jonathan relied solely on the north but they ended up betraying him.
2. Jonathan never used the EFCC effectively. He didn't bark at, neither did he bit any corrupt official to serve as a deterrent to others.
3. Jonathan received false information about the improvement in the power sector. A single agenda that would have won him millions of votes.
4. Jonathan failed to check the activities of jega. He so much trusted him that he crafted what destroyed him. Some ministers he later appointed never helped at all.
5. Jonathan was scared and was intimidated by the propaganda of the opposition
6. The advisers both from the north and south never did much for him. They gave him wrong feedbacks.
7. Jonathan failed to meet the masses to hear from them. If he had spent at least one day in every month in a town hall meeting in every state of the federation, he would have gotten a firsthand information about the true state of affairs. But of recent, we noticed he has not flown out but has been visiting states. Its too late and quite unfortunate

1 Like

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by todayguest(m): 7:24am On Apr 02, 2015
He lost because, the politics down south, is different from the one up north. While, in the south, we been obsessed with performance, policies and programmes. Sadly, in the north, none of the above factors are considered,it's all about religion. Before any body speaks, he must first proclaim "ALLAHU AKBAR!!! three times.PDP supporters and GEJ were labelled pagans.

1 Like

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 7:25am On Apr 02, 2015
[size=20pt]In Summary:

GEJ lost because he performed worse than all his predecessors[/size]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 7:26am On Apr 02, 2015
GboyegaD:
I think 2, 3, 4, and 5 nailed it. Crossing the boss in my opinion shouldn't be seen as a reason why he lost the election.
obviouslyyou won't see the truth in Obasanjo's own. its obvious he is Nigerian enemy
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by SirShymexx: 7:27am On Apr 02, 2015
DollyParton1:

You need to study the political aftermath of those who had ever crossed Obj . They become politically useless.

Lol. You mean Vito Corleone got rid of the useless mofo? There are power-brokers and kingmakers...but this went against all of them and the people, despite having a terrible international image.

There was actually no way he would have won and the handwriting was on the wall time ago. And it was a choice between leaving peacefully or in a coffin. However, most thought his advisers were going to make him commit suicide. But they acted smart by conceding defeat cos ....... (Fill in the gap) loool.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by GboyegaD(m): 7:28am On Apr 02, 2015
Chigold101:
do you really think some girls where abducted in Chibok last April? Humn... Okay oh

Thank GOD GMB/APC will soon be in power. Am so happy because by May 29th of 2016 our unemployed youths & graduates would have gotten jobs.

And by May 29th 2017 there will be no single unemployed graduate unless the fresh ones.

POWER will be so stable By 29th May 2016... Am so so happy.

From May 29th 2015 it will be El Dorado for Nigerians...

Thanks to GMB. Sai BABA

You're trying too hard to be sarcastic Oga. Even in the advanced economies, unemployment rate is never zero. Let them resume then you can stay grading them against your rubrics.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by isbish(m): 7:28am On Apr 02, 2015
InvertedHammer:
/
GEJ performed very well in the easy aspects of leadership--spending money that is already there. How difficult is it to award a contract? By the way such contracts are easy ways of looting the treasury through over invoicing as well as patronizing one's acolytes.

But in other aspects that matter a lot, he failed woefully. A president that cannot control his underlings is useless. FFK and Okupe were all over the place insulting and denigrating anyone with diverse opinions from the presidency. GEJ remained mute. Who is the boss?

On the issue of corruption, he appeared indifferent. How can a president go on national tv to say that stealing is not corruption? And to crown it all, he rubbed it in with the pardon of Alamieghesa. FFK with all the corruption charges over his head became his campaign spokesperson and all charges were dropped. SMH. Kashamu? Oh well. It comes down to perception. The public opinion is that GEJ is in bed with corruption.
Decision making? GEJ will.take the cake as the president with the most excuses on issues of national.importance. instead of being a leader, he found comfort in blaming the opposition.for all.misgivings of his government. Is it Boko Haram? A PC! Ekitigate? A PC! Missing $20bn? A PC. GEJ single handedly made A PC very powerful by ascribing to them powers that they don't possess. He turned himself into.a victim instead of a leader.
All in all, GEJ is not a leader.

/

Well said bro. Nigerians never seize to amaze me. They think GEJ didn't try to rig? Funny. He just couldn't cos we masses prayed to God to make our choice count. Videos of rigging are all over the net espcially in Akwa Ibom and Rivers. These are PDP riggers. They undermined the power of God. Many people speak with wanton arrogance that God will never allow GMB to lead Nigeria as if they are God...pathetic. GEJ was a bad leader who allowed midiocre people to sail his government. Ur followers are a reflection of who and what u are. He isn't much different from those clowns that ran his government down.

1 Like

Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 7:28am On Apr 02, 2015
GboyegaD:
I think 2, 3, 4, and 5 nailed it. Crossing the boss in my opinion shouldn't be seen as a reason why he lost the election.

It was part of it, whether we agree on it or not, u don't bite the finger that feeds you, Obasanjo cannot be ruled out in the whole scheme of things, he still commands respect in the North and all serving and retired military generals operate like a cult, they support themselves, look at the first letter he wrote to congratulate Buhari, he hammered on the military institution that nurtured him and others that has been ridiculed by the Jonathan administration, forget all the disagreement u see they display outwardly in the media, they respect each other and operate like a cult, l am not a fan of OBJ but he does command respect in the Nigeria political horizon.......fact!!!
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by musicwriter(m): 7:29am On Apr 02, 2015
Jonathan lost because he's not a tactician. He's not a diplomatic person or someone that have many dishonest tactics he can pull from his sleeves. I don't know exactly how to put it. He's a blunt person, someone that can tell you yes or no and he will mean it. He don't have so many tricks up in his sleeves to unleash. I remember someone said long time ago here on Nairaland that "Jonathan will be a catalyst for change". This prediction have come to reality. Just as a the catalyst in chemistry Jonathan have been consumed by the free and fair electoral structures he put in place. Though he's not a saint but Jonathan might be the most honest president we'll have for a very long time
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Filmewell(f): 7:29am On Apr 02, 2015
someone pls direct me to another forum like this am tired of all this analysis, will be back when this the debate is over.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by GboyegaD(m): 7:29am On Apr 02, 2015
DollyParton1:

You need to study the political aftermath of those who had ever crossed Obj . They become politically useless.

If he had done so well, there were high chances he would have won unless you are seeing it from the karma perspective.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by trillville(m): 7:30am On Apr 02, 2015
dearpreye:

How long shall we continue with that?

The question you should be asking is "why is obj so powerful?"

Nigeria consist of over 280 different tribes with three tribes trying to dictate to the rest of the country.

To win an election in Nigeria, you need to have most of these minority tribes also on your side. To get their support, they must perceive you to be just and fair, that is you make decisions based on merit giving every Nigerian the opportunity to aspire for greatness. With Jonathan, only the connected could get anything. He even admitted this on several occasions.

Obj understands this so even though connections still mattered during his regime, he always left a good amount of positions for merit.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by GboyegaD(m): 7:31am On Apr 02, 2015
shinejackie:

It was part of it, whether we agree on it or not, u don't bite the finger that feeds you, Obasanjo cannot be ruled out in the whole scheme of things, he still commands respect in the North and all serving and retired military generals operate like a cult, they support themselves, look at the first letter he wrote to congratulate Buhari, he hammered on the military institution that nurtured him and others that has been ridiculed by the Jonathan administration, forget all the disagreement u see they display outwardly in the media, they respect each other and operate like a cult, l am not a fan of OBJ but he does command respect in the Nigeria political horizon.......fact!!!

If you are discussing from the karma perspective, you may be correct however, taking his issues with Obasanjo add the reason he lost for me is a NO!
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by leofric2014(m): 7:33am On Apr 02, 2015
The GEJ. Government is a complete sham. From all the corrupt cases flying all around,how the devalued our naira,how he increase fuel to 147 naira at the beginning of his tenure only to reduce it to 87 naira at the peak of leaving office, how so many lives lost and business crumbled during nationwide strike, immigration scam that killed a lot of jobseekers, how about 15000 Nigerians lost their live to Boko haram. Just to mention a few, the one wen con pain me pass, the SURE internship program, I was made to do frog jump for about 3 Hours just because I want to benefit from my brother's government.

I give thanks to God because all my fasting and prayers have to been in vain.

Thanks Nigerians for ousting the clueless and the confused.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by olasoji1: 7:33am On Apr 02, 2015
Prof.Soyinka: GMB Victory Is A Test

Read more here===>> http://www.abisoj.com/2015/04/profsoyinka-gmb-victory-is-test.html
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 7:37am On Apr 02, 2015
GboyegaD:

If you are discussing from the karma perspective, you may be correct however, taking his issues with Obasanjo add the reason he lost for me is a NO!

It was part of it, that book he released few months ago where he castigated Jonathan and went to the west to make several comments against the government was a big negative to Jonathan, recall that the west hold him in high esteem, although, he appears like a saint but he is not.....anyways, l respect your opinion.. cool
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by double0seven(m): 7:37am On Apr 02, 2015
Redoil:
All thanks to gej the hero of our time who in all honesty and humilty chose not to rig the election as it was been done by OBJ and tinubu so that nigeria will not divide. Yet the gworo chewing master and their perpetual slaves still voted him out. Cramjones ur gurlfriend berem has deactivated her account what about you old troll

Please stop saying nonsense and stop insulting people's intelligence. The elections were massively rigged by GEJ and his cronies in Akwa ibom, Delta, Rivers, etc.

stop deluding yourself. PDP tried to rigg Jonathan in, just that the number of collected PVCs prevented PDP from being able to add enough numbers to overcome the massive voting for Buhari.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by SomebodyLovesMe: 7:40am On Apr 02, 2015
Lalasticlala, Cramjones, please change 'loose' to 'lose' on the title of this post, so people are not misled as to the correct spelling.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by InvertedHammer: 7:41am On Apr 02, 2015
isbish:

Well said bro. Nigerians never seize to amaze me. They think GEJ didn't try to rig? Funny. He just couldn't cos we masses prayed to God to make our choice count. Videos of rigging are all over the net espcially in Akwa Ibom and Rivers. These are PDP riggers. They undermined the power of God. Many people speak with wanton arrogance that God will never allow GMB to lead Nigeria as if they are God...pathetic. GEJ was a bad leader who allowed midiocre people to sail his government. Ur followers are a reflection of who and what u are. He isn't much different from those clowns that ran his government down.
/
The issue is that in their delusion and paranoia, the so-called supporters of GEJ (none of them can point to how GEJ affected their lives positively) fail to acknowledge that people were fed up with the inactions and redundant-committees forming tendencies of GEJ.

They should compare 2011 and 2015 results and ask themselves,"what went wrong?". I am not a Muslim and I fully supported GMB from day one because the center was not holding.

I can only pray that Aisha bring sanity and class into "First Lady"
Some said Patience is a good wife. How? Any woman who flies presidential jets, enjoys perks of the presidency, gets N1bn in refreshments annually yet fails to support the husband as well as campaign for continuity deserves to be barbecued. She was protecting her interests. Some people misconstrue that as being a "supporting and a dutiful wife". Yea right. Let GEJ end up in face me and face you after. Then we shall see how dutiful she really is as a wife. Some people just don't get it.

\
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by double0seven(m): 7:42am On Apr 02, 2015
musicwriter:
Jonathan lost because he's not a tactician. He's not a diplomatic person or someone that have many dishonest tactics he can pull from his sleeves. I don't know exactly how to put it. He's a blunt person, someone that can tell you yes or no and he will mean it. He don't have so many tricks up in his sleeves to unleash. I remember someone said long time ago here on Nairaland that "Jonathan will be a catalyst for change". This prediction have come to reality. Just as a the catalyst in chemistry Jonathan have been consumed by the free and fair electoral structures he put in place. Though he's not a saint but Jonathan might be the most honest president we'll have for a very long time

Where do you people get all this balderdash from. Are you living in an alternate universe?

please stop this grandeur of self delusion .
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by House24(m): 7:42am On Apr 02, 2015
No 3, was the greatest of allllll., all d same we are all 1 NIGERIA., 1 HEART, 1♡. God bless this nation
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by GboyegaD(m): 7:49am On Apr 02, 2015
shinejackie:

It was part of it, that book he released few months ago where he castigated Jonathan and went to the west to make several comments against the government was a big negative to Jonathan, recall that the west hold him in high esteem, although, he appears like a saint but he is not.....anyways, l respect your opinion.. cool

I think one thing that is key is the fact that Jonathan never took responsibility for anything. That alone tells more to anybody around the globe.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by conscript1967: 7:50am On Apr 02, 2015
kristisking:
Thank you my brother.It is not everyone that reasons like you.Like what one of my neighbours said,he clearly and boldly said that they are happy because a christian will longer rule over them,and I began to wonder what is actually wrong with these people.

And to prove boko is a northern agenda war machine,as soon as GMB won they dropped their guns and bombs instantly and joined in the jubilation. Don't they desire heavenly virgins again? GMB's war effort has paid off.

GMB has been overhyped too much. I hope he is the messiah we need after all.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by uchenna08(m): 7:51am On Apr 02, 2015
OP, u have no idea of what you are saying....I will say it till tomorrow, gej's only failure during his administration is the area of 'corruption'. He failed to hault corruption among the people surrounding his office. I put it clear that a president with a good heart such as GEJ will never be experienced in 9ja again until dis country is disintegrated as it will be very soon. He lost because Muslims wanted him out in all totality, a great sabotage after all he did for them without doing much in south and east for them to allow him anoda 4yrs....their argument is not hidden. obj, a Christian ruled for 8yrs, yar'Adua a Muslim ruled for only 2yrs, gej a Christian after ruling for 6yrs can't go on to 10yrs.....the say it in their various mosque that, it is their turn to rule and they are always one-minded unlike Christians....when an Hausa man marries 5wives without training even 1 out of 35 children(gej built alamajiri schools for them) what do u expect in population, rather they paid him back in such manner. I have a friend in east, a family of 6 adults, no one came out to vote, but in north u see their goats, cows, children of 10, 11yrs cueing to vote. If elections is to be free and fair, I can't see an eastern or southern ruling this country again!
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 02, 2015
GboyegaD:

I think one thing that is key is the fact that Jonathan never took responsibility for anything. That alone tells more to anybody around the globe.

True, and all those hawks and kitchen cabinet members didn't help him as well but as it is now the bulk of failure rest on his desk...""Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown""... cool
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by GboyegaD(m): 7:53am On Apr 02, 2015
shinejackie:

True, and all those hawks and kitchen cabinet members didn't help him as well but as it is now the bulk of failure rest on his desk...""Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown""... cool

So true!
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by Nobody: 7:55am On Apr 02, 2015
GboyegaD:

So true!
cool
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by otokx(m): 7:59am On Apr 02, 2015
eleko1:
wink Thanks to Pa Clark,FFK,FAYOSE,Mama FAKA,APA-IBO,Gani OPC,OKU-Igbe,Sambo and all thieves for making it possible wink

E.K. Clark thought he was a don, where is he now? As for Uduaghan - it is a great pity.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by otokx(m): 8:02am On Apr 02, 2015
double0seven:

Where do you people get all this balderdash from. Are you living in an alternate universe?

please stop this grandeur of self delusion .

Don't mind them
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by PastorOla1: 8:03am On Apr 02, 2015
GboyegaD:
IF YOU GO INTO POLITICS YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED. THE FIRST POINT IS THE MAIN REASON.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by ThimmyWood(m): 8:07am On Apr 02, 2015
Redoil:
All thanks to gej the hero of our time who in all honesty and humilty chose not to rig the election as it was been done by OBJ and tinubu so that nigeria will not divide. Yet the gworo chewing master and their perpetual slaves still voted him out. Cramjones ur gurlfriend berem has deactivated her account what about you old troll

He be like say the election result they pain you. If you like abuse all the tribes in the land excluding the Igbos and Niger delta..... nothing they do us.
Re: 5 Major Reasons That Made GEJ Loose - UK Guardian by maestroz: 8:07am On Apr 02, 2015
cramjones:
Goodluck Jonathan has earned the dubious distinction of being the first president in Nigerian history to lose an election. In many ways, Jonathan was the architect of his own downfall. He made critical mistakes that turned the public and allies against him, and led them to gravitate towards the opposition. Here’s where it all went wrong:

1. Don’t cross the boss

When Nigeria emerged from 15 years of military rule in 1999, Jonathan’s Peoples Democratic party (PDP) was formed by wealthy retired generals to inherit power from the military. One of the godfathers was General Olusegun Obasanjo, who has governed Nigeria twice (between 1976-1979 and 1999-2007). Jonathan made the mistake of alienating Obasanjo; leading the general to write a public 18-page letter containing lacerating criticism of the president in December 2013. A party member likened Obasanjo’s hectoring of Jonathan to a father’s disappointment with his son.

Getting on the wrong side of Obasanjo is the political equivalent of crossing a mafia don
Rather than make peace with the 77-year-old, Jonathan’s office retaliated.

Getting on the wrong side of Obasanjo is the political equivalent of crossing a mafia don. You will pay. Obasanjo’s attacks on Jonathan intensified. In February, an irate Obasanjo quit the PDP and dramatically ripped up his party membership card on television.

Jonathan was naïve to think he could remain president without the support of PDP godfathers like Obasanjo. Although Nigeria is no longer under military rule, many retired millionaire generals call the shots from behind the scenes.

2. Playing fair
Previous Nigerian presidents were too cynical to expose themselves to the unpredictable risk of a fair election. The election victories of PDP presidents during the past 16 years have been partially “assisted” by electoral malpractice. That changed when Jonathan nominated Professor Attahiru Jega as the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (Inec) in 2010. Jega vowed to reform Nigeria’s electoral process to ensure free and fair elections.

The former university lecturer exuded calm authority and integrity. He has painstakingly prepared for the task over the past four years by studying the rigging methods used in previous elections, implementing an elaborate system of voter registration, training thousands of electoral staff, and introducing biometric readers to identify voters by reading their thumbprint.

Jonathan created the environment for the emergence of these changes and gave Jega the freedom and authority to conduct reforms that led to a credible election. But by giving Jega a free hand to play fair, he allowed Jega to craft the weapons that were used to oust him from power.

3. Boko Haram and the Chibok kidnaps

Jonathan’s relations with party members at times resembled a football coach antagonising his star players
When Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls from the town of Chibok in northern Nigeria, Jonathan failed to realise how much this would capture the public’s attention, both locally and internationally. His failure to speak about the kidnap for several weeks made him appear uncaring. These shortcomings were exacerbated by the behaviour of his wife, Patience, when she met the mothers of the kidnapped girls. Her ostentatious display and over-the-top emotions were mercilessly parodied.

Jonathan’s perceived casual indifference to the suffering of his people was compounded when he was photographed celebrating his niece’s lavish wedding just a few days after Boko Haram had killed 2,000 people in the town of Baga.

4. Bad management

Jonathan’s relations with party members at times resembled a football coach antagonising his star players into leaving for rival teams. His tendency to fall out with colleagues simultaneously weakened his party and strengthened the opposition. He quarrelled with one after another; leading several of them to leave the party in frustration and join the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC). The alliance between these and the opposition shoved Jonathan out of power.

5. Corruption and cronyism
Nigerians refer to their country’s resources as the “national cake” which must be shared by its citizens. There was a perception that Jonathan gave slices of the cake largely to members of his own community. Many powerful members of his government were from Jonathan’s region in the deep south of the country. Even Jonathan’s wife was appointed as a senior civil servant in his home state of Bayelsa.

There was a perception that Jonathan gave slices of the cake largely to members of his own community
Under Jonathan’s presidency many militant leaders from the oil producing Niger Delta area in the south have become very rich from government patronage and contracts. Some of them have been awarded security contracts to guard the oil installations they once protested against and attacked.

Jonathan has also pardoned a former ally accused of fraud and money laundering, increasing the cloud of suspicion hanging over his government.

These events caused deep resentment in other parts of Nigeria and created the impression that Jonathan ran a government that benefits those from his part of the country, the south, but not many others.

Jonathan even managed to get into a public feud with the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, the respected Sanusi Lamido Sanusi. In February 2014 Sanusi alleged that $20bn of Nigerian oil revenue was unaccounted for. Rather than investigating the claims Jonathan fired Sanusi for his impertinence at publicly hinting of government fraud.

Buhari’s victory is historic and unprecedented. However Jonathan was responsible almost as much as Buhari was.

Jonathan did all this and some people are clamouring for him to be given a nobel award?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zuriel Oduwole With US Top Executives - Photos / Desmond Elliot Campaigns For Ize-Iyamu In Edo (Photos) / Air Force Troops Celebrate Sallah In Maiduguri. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.