Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,865 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. (67423 Views)

Bola Tinubu:"Unseating Jonathan,An Incumbent President,My Most Difficult Battle" / Why I Conceded Defeat To Buhari – Jonathan / I’ll Accept Defeat In Good Faith ─ Agbaje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 10:11pm On Apr 02, 2015
godspeed:

why don't u tell me?

just told u that all the people celebrated by history today are people who didn't do the wrong thing.

Take it or leave it, all those celebrated today are people who refused to do the wrong thing

'The only thing necessary for the
triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing.' Edmund burke

That quote has nothing to do with this.

Once again:
Not doing the WRONG thing
Is not the same thing as doing the RIGHT thing.

Sigh. Let me break it down for you:

Not killing someone

Is not the same as

Saving someone's life.

Not stealing

Is not the same as

Finding and prosecuting a thief.

If you don't get it after this, I'm done.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 12:28am On Apr 03, 2015
crownprince102:
[b]1. ADEN ABDULLAH OSMAN DAAR: SOMALIA
Aden Daar is a Somali politician popularly known as Aden Adde. He was the first Presidentof Somalia, serving from July 1, 1960 to June 10, 1967. Daar was born in 1908 in the town of Beledweyne, situated in the south-central Hiranregion of the former Italian Somaliland. His family hailed from the Hawiyeclan. Daar joined the incipient Somali Youth League (SYL) political party in 1944, a nationalist organization that campaigned for an independent Somalia. Quickly rising through the ranks, he became the local secretary of the SYL's Beledweyne branch in 1946. A decade later, he became Chairman of the National Legislative Assembly, and would eventually lead the SYL itself two years afterwards. By the time Somalia gained its independence in 1960, Daar had attained widespread prominence as a nationalist figure. In short order, he was elected the country's first President, a position he would assume from 1960 to 1967. Fellow SYL member Haji Bashir Ismail Yusufwould serve as the first President of the Somali National Assembly on 1 July 1960. In the 1967 presidential election, Daar was defeated by Abdirashid Ali Shermarke, his former Prime Minister. His term as president ended on June 10, 1967. Daar accepted the loss graciously, making history as the first head of state in Africa to peacefully hand over power to a democratically elected successor[/b]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aden_Abdullah_Osman_Daar

Wow, I didn't know he was the first. Our family knows his.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by ArtanK(m): 12:31am On Apr 03, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

shocked shocked then again you're not from Somalia...
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 12:33am On Apr 03, 2015
ArtanK:

shocked shocked then again you're not from Somalia...

Lol. One of his daughters (a grandmother now) lives in our state. Or rather, she used to.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by ArtanK(m): 12:41am On Apr 03, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Lol. One of his daughters (a grandmother now) lives in our state. Or rather, she used to.

Do you know her personally?
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 12:45am On Apr 03, 2015
ArtanK:

Do you know her personally?

I've met her. My folks know her personally better than I do. She's back in Africa now. I remember my mom telling me her health improves when she leaves the US. Her husband passed away here, and most of her kids have left the state, married off, etc. Scratch that (she's in Africa), she's back!

Do you?!
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by ArtanK(m): 12:50am On Apr 03, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

I've met her. My folks know her personally better than I do. She's back in Africa now. I remember my mom telling me her health improves when she leaves the US. Her husband passed away here, and most of her kids have left the state, married off, etc. Scratch that (she's in Africa), she's back!

Do you?!

I wish I knew her so I could sit beside her and listen to stories about the 1960s, when her father became a president and so on.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 1:10am On Apr 03, 2015
ArtanK:

I wish I knew her so I could sit beside her and listen to stories about the 1960s, when her father became a president and so on.

Yh, for sure. For a second there, I thought you might know her too, Twilight Zone.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by ArtanK(m): 1:16am On Apr 03, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Yh, for sure. For a second there, I thought you might know her too, Twilight Zone.

LOL I should have said yes just to confuse you grin

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 1:19am On Apr 03, 2015
ArtanK:

LOL I should have said yes just to confuse you grin

Wallahi, I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised. Well, maybe a little tongue
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by ArtanK(m): 1:28am On Apr 03, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Wallahi, I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised. Well, maybe a little tongue

I'm sure you mean a lot tongue

I know the 2nd president, Abderrasheed Ali Sharmarke's family though. We're kind of related.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 1:34am On Apr 03, 2015
ArtanK:

I'm sure you mean a lot tongue

I know the 2nd president, Abderrasheed Ali Sharmarke's family though. We're kind of related.

I see. I thought along the same lines for the Aden's, but then wrong clan, lol! Besides, affluent people tend cast a wider net, so I wouldn't have been all that surprised.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by ArtanK(m): 1:42am On Apr 03, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

I see. I thought along the same lines for the Aden's, but then wrong clan, lol! Besides, affluent people tend cast a wider net so I wouldn't have been all that surprised.

That is so true, especially with Somalis. While I was in London, I noticed that many of the people I met bragged about being 'related' to the current SL pres. Silanyo lol.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 1:51am On Apr 03, 2015
ArtanK:

That is so true, especially with Somalis. While I was in London, I noticed that many of the people I met bragged about being 'related' to the current SL pres. Silanyo lol.

And I'm related to Guelleh.

Not! grin

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by ArtanK(m): 2:01am On Apr 03, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

And I'm related to Guelleh.

Not! grin

LOL well all Issas are related somewhere down the line so you are right about that. cheesy
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 3:56am On Apr 03, 2015
ArtanK:

LOL well all Issas are related somewhere down the line so you are right about that. cheesy

Nah. Thas cabsi if you think about it, forreal.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by owoh00(m): 4:39am On Apr 03, 2015
Good job op, but not totally correct in my own opinion. Except
#1. Aden Abdullah Osman Daar of Somalia
#4. Rupiah Bwezani Banda of Zambia
Let the idea of a 21 century Zambia rule the nation
#5. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan of Nigeria
My ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian

The rest of the past leaders are full of controversies of which one of them spent 27 years in power almost seven tenure in office and not letting anyone to hold the post, that wasn't a Democrat!!.... It's a dictatorship
pattern of rule

Secondly the president from Senegal want to come back for third tenure even when he lost in the preliminary he left the party to join another party to enable him contest and come back as a president for the third time. Is that the right mindset of a true Democrats??....

Let give honor to those honor are accorded to, and for once in our life respect our leaders past and present, refrain from supporting some past leaders in disrespectfuly disgrasing the seat of the Presidency. The country and some of her past leaders has disrespected, and has no atom of pride for the nation, and we should learn not to repeat such event again. Buhari might not be the kind of change we desire and hoped for, but let's respect him till the day he leaves office. You might chose not to respect the man but respect the office he holds.

I shall forever hold GEJ in high esteem!!
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by owoh00(m): 4:42am On Apr 03, 2015
Good job op, but not totally correct in my own opinion. Except
#1. Aden Abdullah Osman Daar of Somalia
#4. Rupiah Bwezani Banda of Zambia
Let the idea of a 21 century Zambia rule the nation
#5. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan of Nigeria
My ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian

The rest of the past leaders are full of controversies of which one of them spent 27 years in power almost seven tenure in office and not letting anyone to hold the post, that wasn't a Democrat!!.... It's a dictatorship
pattern of rule

Secondly the president from Senegal want to come back for third tenure even when he lost in the preliminary he left the party to join another party to enable him contest and come back as a president for the third time. Is that the right mindset of a true Democrats??....

Let give honor to those honor are accorded to, and for once in our life respect our leaders past and present, refrain from supporting some past leaders in disrespectfuly disgrasing the seat of the Presidency. The country and some of her past leaders has disrespected, and has no atom of pride for the nation, and we should learn not to repeat such event again. Buhari might not be the kind of change we desire and hoped for, but let's respect him till the day he leaves office. You might chose not to respect the man but respect the office he holds.

I shall forever hold GEJ in high esteem!!
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by totorimi: 5:26am On Apr 03, 2015
THE BIGGEST MISTAKW GEJ MADE WAS NOT TO HAVE USED THE GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY BOKO PRESENTED TO WIPE OFF BOKO AND THEIR APPOLOGIST FROM THE SURFACE OF PLANET EARTH. I AM SURE GMB WOULD HAVE BEEN SWEPT OFF WITH BOKO, BUT HE RATHER ALLOWED THEM NOW SEE THE RESULT. THEY DONT LIKE YOU WHY SHOULD YOU LIKE THEM. EXTERMINATE THEM BEFORE THEY GET NEAR YOU. LESSON FOR THE REST OF US.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by plendil: 7:45am On Apr 03, 2015
what os nelson mandela
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by godspeed: 7:51am On Apr 03, 2015
kalindaminda:

That quote has nothing to do with this.

Once again:
Not doing the WRONG thing
Is not the same thing as doing the RIGHT thing.

Sigh. Let me break it down for you:

Not killing someone

Is not the same as

Saving someone's life.

Not stealing

Is not the same as

Finding and prosecuting a thief.

If you don't get it after this, I'm done.

once again; u need no look further than the actions and utterances of ur president elect in 2011 if u really want to know why not doing the wrong thing is commendable
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 8:03am On Apr 03, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Lol....Your family know his? Are you from Somalia? Do you know Aden Abdullah Daar is dead. He died in 2007 at the age of 99. Please explain how you guys cross path.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by toluleke(m): 8:11am On Apr 03, 2015
crownprince102:
[b] 5.GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN: NIGERIA
Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan is a Nigerian politician who was President of Nigeria from 2010 to 2015, Jonathan was born in what is now Bayelsa State to a family of canoe makers. Jonathan holds a B.Sc. degree in Zoology in which he attained Second Class Honours. He holds an M.Sc.degree in Hydrobiology and Fisheries biology, and a PhDdegree in Zoology from the University of Port Harcourt, which he did not finish according to Olusegun Obasanjo. Before he entered politics in 1998, he worked as an education inspector, lecturer, and environmental-protection officer.
He is a Christian, and he comes from the Ijawethnic group. In 2007, President Jonathan declared his assets worth a total of ₦ 295,304,420 Naira ($1,845,652 USD). However on 9 October 2014, the r ichestlifestyle.com website ranked Mr Jonathan sixth on its list, claiming his net worth was about $100m (£62m). He threatened to sue the website, claiming it "was an attempt to portray him as corrupt." The page was removed, but was then published by another website which estimated Jonathan's net wealth at $10 million. He contested for Nigerian 2015 presidential election which he eventually lost to former dictator, General Muhammadu Buhari. He conceded defeat in a competitive election and became the first sitting Nigerian president to do so. Prior to his role as President, he served as Governor of Bayelsa Statefrom 2005 to 2007 and as Vice-President of Nigeriafrom 2007 to 2010. [/b]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodluck_Jonathan
has he handed over..he shouldn't be on the list until may 28
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 8:15am On Apr 03, 2015
toluleke:
has he handed over..he shouldn't be on the list until may 28
Atleast he has conceded........ Make he no leave on May 29. Gbagbo treatment dey for him.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by toluleke(m): 8:18am On Apr 03, 2015
We end up celebrating non sense in Nigeria. The right thing is to step than when you defeat..so what the big deal he has done the right thing..the other day a woman saw money @the airport and return it back everybody were shouting and praising her..when that was the right thing to do...THE RIGHT THINGS IN NIGERIA always look abnormal to us..

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Abumadea: 10:20am On Apr 03, 2015
9jatriot:
What of the Ghanian president, I thought a ruling party also lost there except my memory fails me.
Yeah, its true. it happened few years back. The president later died on the throne. I can't remember his name.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Mhomies: 10:37am On Apr 03, 2015
@OP; you didn't mention Frederik de Klerk of South Africa who congratulated Nelson Mandela even before the final collation of results.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by ASL33: 12:57pm On Apr 03, 2015
bobcharly:
That's really commendable if them..
meanwhile
Sani Abacha & wife went to Aso Rock
together............ Only his wife came back
Olusegun Obasanjo & wife went together.......
...only Obasanjo returned
Umaru Musa Ya'adua & wife went
together.......
....Only his wife returned Goodluck Ebele
Jonathan & wife went
together..............Now,,both of them are
coming back together.
GEJ is indeed lucky to break that curse in Aso
Rock! ! !
Change is really here!!!
They are not out yet. Post this after 29 may
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by bobcharly(m): 1:13pm On Apr 03, 2015
ASL33:
They are not out yet. Post this after 29 may
hmmmm...what are you insinuating? ...that of 'em may still die before then? ...fear God na...haba
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 9:18am On Apr 06, 2015
crownprince102:

Lol....Your family know his? Are you from Somalia? Do you know Aden Abdullah Daar is dead. He died in 2007 at the age of 99. Please explain how you guys cross path.

Yes.
No.
The answer to that burning question is located directly beneath the post you quoted. Besides, I never claimed to have met him personally. His daughter, yes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Kenneth Okonkwo Disqualified By APC Over Failure To Buy N22M Nomination Form / Imo Youths Destroying Ihedioha Billboards (SEE PHOTOS) / Boko Haram Members Catching Fun - VOA (Throwback Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.