Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. (67415 Views)

Bola Tinubu:"Unseating Jonathan,An Incumbent President,My Most Difficult Battle" / Why I Conceded Defeat To Buhari – Jonathan / I’ll Accept Defeat In Good Faith ─ Agbaje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by JiggamanGh: 3:45pm On Apr 02, 2015
ferhyntorlah:
John Kuffor of Ghana should be in the list. He conceded defeat to the late John Atta Mills.

No he did not, his two term was over and he wasn't on the ballot.

Why are you guys so adamant on making Goodluck look like a bad man. I felt that he wasn't the right man for the job and nigeria needed a change, but the guy has shown that he cares about nigeria and the lives of Nigerians.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 3:46pm On Apr 02, 2015
ceejayluv:
There are civil ways to go about grievances, which Jonathan has shown. Not talking about dogs and blood-soaked baboons... Knowing the kind of followers one has.... Not calling for the heads of "riggers" which ended up misconstrued as NYSC members and any other "sai buhari" unbeliever....

Once again:

I repeat:

How does NOT doing the WRONG thing merit praise? Are Nigerians such savages that any glimpse of civility must be coddled and petted the way you're doing to GEJ? And you want the world to respect you.

There is a very typical Nigerian reaction to criticism, which is to find the nearest offender to compare with: "Is he the only one?"

You need to raise your standards if you ever want to progress.

This quote says much more than I ever could:

Gracyel:

Oh please, what crimes did he commit that other politicians havent done worse??...Please free the guy jare. Whether you like it or not, GEJ has made Nigeria proud. He has gained the respect of great personalities over the world and a lot of countries. He has proven them all wrong that Nigeria is not the violent country its been painted as, by letting sleeping dogs lie. He has shown maturity and a meek spirit.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by KMJY(f): 3:48pm On Apr 02, 2015
luvmijeje:
Imagine that! He's not even the first....... and you people are spamming everywhere while also rewriting history that happen recently as though it's a big deal.
It's not a big deal? Yet your selfish grandpa OBJ wanted 2 remain in power for the third term? Why dnt u ppl wanna giv credit to those who deserve it simply because of your parochial interest? Considering the delicate nature of our country n the uncertainty that surrounds the 2015 presidential polls, it is a decisive step GEJ took just 2 keep d country. We probably wudnt be here on this platform making this analysis if GEJ had rejected d result of the polls. Can't u see? If this post is meant to discredit the praises GEJ is receiving, I no dey!

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Bifwoli: 3:49pm On Apr 02, 2015
Misogynist2014:
Jonathan has done well. At least we have something to remember him for.

GEJ will be a big contender for the next year's $5m Mo Ibrahim prize for excellent governance.

GEJ is an exemplary leader in an exclusive club.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by KMJY(f): 3:50pm On Apr 02, 2015
luvmijeje:
Imagine that! He's not even the first....... and you people are spamming everywhere while also rewriting history that happen recently as though it's a big deal.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by richidinho(m): 3:52pm On Apr 02, 2015
luvmijeje:

What is this ashy saying
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 3:53pm On Apr 02, 2015
senatorbayor:

@ OP, permission to share this on my FB wall for some 5th columnist who said GEJ is the first in Africa to concede defeats. This may be an eye opener and enlightenment to broaden their narrow thinking. Friends of GEJ (which am one) have been disturbing my FB walls with GEJ the HERO of Africa. Thanks in anticipation of request granted.
Permission granted.

But you are really funny, why do you need permission before copying and posting this elsewhere. I don't have a blog and this is not my website. Their is no copyright on it.

But thanks for it, I 'm really flattered.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by richidinho(m): 3:58pm On Apr 02, 2015
kalindaminda:

Once again:

I repeat:

How does NOT doing the WRONG thing merit praise? Are Nigerians such savages that any glimpse of civility must be coddled and petted the way you're doing to GEJ? And you want the world to respect you.

There is a very typical Nigerian reaction to criticism, which is to find the nearest offender to compare with: "Is he the only one?"

May be u are more civilize than the Obama Et al that congratulate him

You graduated from one of these half baked universities, nobody will talk again because of you
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by themodernman: 4:01pm On Apr 02, 2015
bobcharly:
That's really commendable if them..
meanwhile
Sani Abacha & wife went to Aso Rock
together............ Only his wife came back
Olusegun Obasanjo & wife went together.......
...only Obasanjo returned
Umaru Musa Ya'adua & wife went
together.......
....Only his wife returned Goodluck Ebele
Jonathan & wife went
together..............Now,,both of them are
coming back together.
GEJ is indeed lucky to break that curse in Aso
Rock! ! !
Change is really here!!!

What of IBB & Abdulsalami?
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by ddjay: 4:09pm On Apr 02, 2015
What of joyce banda
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 02, 2015
richidinho:

May be u are more civilize than the Obama Et al that congratulate him

You graduated from one of these half baked universities, nobody will talk again because of you

Are you so dull that you can't comprehend what I said? The fact that "Obama et al" are congratulating Jonathan for not throwing a tantrum is an insult to any mature Nigerian. Jesus, you are so slow.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 02, 2015
PAINGAIN:
o boy eh, mugabe no send anybody o. Nobody gives less of Bleep than mugabe. If u actually see d man u go know say the niccur no send. He's over 90 now so d dude no go even fit go prison sef. I've even heard he's planning to have his wife become presido after him. Wish comedy central can do the ROAST of mugabe. Lol

That guy though.
I heard his daughter is a minister and possible aspirant of the seat when he leaves.

Okk oo let us keep hearing and watching
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 5:05pm On Apr 02, 2015
XBLadez:

And u had to add the said scandal on GEJ's profile. What's the relationship with the topic? Shame on you!
I guess their is a link below....... Blame the link please.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by ferhyntorlah(f): 5:07pm On Apr 02, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Why are you guys so adamant on making Goodluck look like a bad man. I felt that he wasn't the right man for the job and nigeria needed a change, but the guy has shown that he cares about nigeria and the lives of Nigerians.
Points noted. Thanks!
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 5:07pm On Apr 02, 2015
PapaOyoyo:

Hahahaha. I dey pity Buhari,make him fail to perform,him go hear am
Na sharp sharp we go commot am for 2019......
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Jamaticulus(m): 5:09pm On Apr 02, 2015
There are no medals for conceding
defeat. Nothing heroic about it. If dem flog you
for FIFA, you pass the pad. No more, no less.
*Gbam*

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by crownprince102: 5:11pm On Apr 02, 2015
cmoneke:

What is wrong with u guys he step down accept defet still u guys won't to kill him with bitter minds hmmm he wil still be a president of d fed rep of nigeria support him its u duty as an indigen of dis gerrn n white country ok all dis past leaders in african posted here did dsame tin but look at d years dat spent on power its quit diff ok give respect to who respect is due God speed nigeria
Does this looks like an attack on GEJ to you?

GEJ spent 6 year, Aden Daar spent 7 years. Also, the thread listed leaders who conceded defeat. It has nothing to do with how long they spent on the seat.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by cooljude(m): 5:21pm On Apr 02, 2015
Johnpaul88:
Had he insisted on staying tight, we would have Gbagboed him outta Aso Rock!

No sentiment attached!
If na dat one, u no reach at all.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by iamord(m): 5:22pm On Apr 02, 2015
JiggamanGh:

I just hope Ghanaians are geared up for 2016... we as a country don't deserve to be in this present position. It's uncalled for
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by toronto10(m): 5:33pm On Apr 02, 2015
you forgot mrs joyce banda of malawi
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nicepoker(m): 5:36pm On Apr 02, 2015
Johnpaul88:
Had he insisted on staying tight, we would have Gbagboed him outta Aso Rock!

No sentiment attached!
the question for u is. Have u ever been to Abuja b4? Do u even know where aso rock is located. Mumu.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nicepoker(m): 5:38pm On Apr 02, 2015
luvmijeje:
compression is ur problem. Someone on seat for 27yrs is that democracy?
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Misogynist2014(m): 5:57pm On Apr 02, 2015
Bifwoli:

GEJ will be a big contender for the next year's $5m Mo Ibrahim prize for excellent governance.

GEJ is an exemplary leader in an exclusive club.
hmm
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by godspeed: 6:00pm On Apr 02, 2015
kalindaminda:

Once again:

I repeat:

if you want to know exactly 'how not doing the wrong thing merits praise' you need not look further than the actions and utterances of your president-elect when he lost the 2011 elections even after failing to achieve 25% of total votes in 24 states and failing to win in any southern state and middle belt save for niger.

whether doing the right thing or not doing the wrong thing; it is highly commendable when somebody takes the right path even when taking the wrong options seems easier and obvious.

Desperate politicians of time past would have invited the military to take over instead of handing over or conceding defeat.

gej has set a precedent with this gesture which no doubt will become a reference point for years to come.
and if you think not doing the wrong thing is no big deal ask parents why they pat their children and buy them gifts when they come top of their class or why corporations pay huge bonuses to their employees for meeting targets or why we even give awards of any kind to people for any ordinary or extra ordinary achievements.

following your line of reason nobody should even be celebebrated since all- yes-all people celebrated by history are people who didn't do the wrong thing

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Phonon: 6:22pm On Apr 02, 2015
Where is Joyce Banda of Malawi?
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by flickers72(m): 6:28pm On Apr 02, 2015
What difference will Buhari bring? Nigeria politicians are all same, we all have to wait and see what he can offer. We all glamouring for change and change, is all same, old wine in a new bottle, who are APC same politicians that wants Money, I'm happy the election went on smoothly without serious violence.One thing I'll tell all Nigerians is that Burhari does not deserve to be a president, no matter how many sai buhari, God have Mercy my colleagues at the office asking me if that is the new president elect, I said yes, his English is so poor,how can an Illiterate lead millions of intelligent Nigerians and you all are happy and screaming yes for change,fingers crossed,but honestly i never supported either of the candidate but come on guys GEJ can still speak fluently compare to this Northerner..
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by Nobody: 6:42pm On Apr 02, 2015
godspeed:

if you want to know exactly 'how not doing the wrong thing merits praise' you need not look further than the actions and utterances of your president-elect when he lost the 2011 elections even after failing to achieve 25% of total votes in 24 states and failing to win in any southern state and middle belt save for niger.

whether doing the right thing or not doing the wrong thing; it is highly commendable when somebody takes the right path even when taking the wrong options seems easier and obvious.

Desperate politicians of time past would have invited the military to take over instead of handing over or conceding defeat.

gej has set a precedent with this gesture which no doubt will become a reference point for years to come.
and if you think not doing the wrong thing is no big deal ask parents why they pat their children and buy them gifts when they come top of their class or why corporations pay huge bonuses to their employees for meeting targets or why we even give awards of any kind to people for any ordinary or extra ordinary achievements.

following your line of reason nobody should even be celebebrated since all- yes-all people celebrated by history are people who didn't do the wrong thing

Sorry, doing the right thing and NOT doing the WRONG thing are NOT THE SAME.

Learn the difference.
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by favourelisha(m): 8:31pm On Apr 02, 2015
This man is so much blessed an he's fearful and wonderfully made, Oh God of Elijah please bless me like goodluck and his lifestyle,Amen
Keneking:
FP please...kindly update with the remaining four so that we shall know that it is not only Otuokeans that has achieved such loss in the past. grin
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by gists: 8:40pm On Apr 02, 2015
Just Keeping Tab
JKT
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by santuse: 9:02pm On Apr 02, 2015
crownprince102:
[b] 5.GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN: NIGERIA
Goodluck Ebele Azikiwe Jonathan is a Nigerian politician who was President of Nigeria from 2010 to 2015, Jonathan was born in what is now Bayelsa State to a family of canoe makers. Jonathan holds a B.Sc. degree in Zoology in which he attained Second Class Honours. He holds an M.Sc.degree in Hydrobiology and Fisheries biology, and a PhDdegree in Zoology from the University of Port Harcourt, which he did not finish according to Olusegun Obasanjo. Before he entered politics in 1998, he worked as an education inspector, lecturer, and environmental-protection officer.
He is a Christian, and he comes from the Ijawethnic group. In 2007, President Jonathan declared his assets worth a total of ₦ 295,304,420 Naira ($1,845,652 USD). However on 9 October 2014, the r ichestlifestyle.com website ranked Mr Jonathan sixth on its list, claiming his net worth was about $100m (£62m). He threatened to sue the website, claiming it "was an attempt to portray him as corrupt." The page was removed, but was then published by another website which estimated Jonathan's net wealth at $10 million. He contested for Nigerian 2015 presidential election which he eventually lost to former dictator, General Muhammadu Buhari. He conceded defeat in a competitive election and became the first sitting Nigerian president to do so. Prior to his role as President, he served as Governor of Bayelsa Statefrom 2005 to 2007 and as Vice-President of Nigeriafrom 2007 to 2010. [/b]
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodluck_Jonathan

Noted
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by godspeed: 9:48pm On Apr 02, 2015
kalindaminda:

Sorry, doing the right thing and NOT doing the WRONG thing are NOT THE SAME.

Learn the differenceq.

why don't u tell me?

just told u that all the people celebrated by history today are people who didn't do the wrong thing.

Take it or leave it, all those celebrated today are people who refused to do the wrong thing

'The only thing necessary for the
triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing.' Edmund burke
Re: Top 5 Incumbent President Who Conceded Defeat In Africa. by ChiSun27(m): 9:53pm On Apr 02, 2015
obi4eze:
And they keep telling us that GEJ is the first person to do it in Africa. I reserve my praise for him till he hands over. Even at that I don't trust him. We have seen his height of desperation and deceit.
He should just do and hand over because his administration leaves bad memories.

May God bless and protect our President-elect.

You must be an ungrateful n unpatriotic Nigerian.....d man don komot yet you won't let him rest....how can humans be possibly be pleased.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of General Buhari In A Heated Discussion With Gen. IBB c.1985 / Patrick Obahiagbon Reacts To The Presidential Election Results From Enugu / Moment Tinubu Stopped To Exchange Pleasantries With Oshiomhole At ICC (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.