Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. - Career (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. (75033 Views)

How Should I Respond To My Boss Who Fired Me Via Email? / My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. / Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Filmdirect: 9:51pm On Apr 03, 2015
Thomsbuky:

Where in everywhere in the world? Its only in Africans and some Asia countries .... In Europe, America, Manager, officer, operative knows their right and responsibility, boundary are respected in western world. However, should any ones overstep or trample one another person...Union, Arbitration court in position to mediate and award compensation to victim of industrial or work related dispute.

In the western world, it depends on the job. No, a boss here will not tell you to carry their purse in a corporate setting but they might ask you to make them coffee.
In some jobs though, for example the art world where progression is less conventional, you will do anything from walk the dog, pick up the dry cleaning, clean the floor, etc in order to progress, or make the creative director or the boss like you. Not saying everyone will, if they can't they will not work there, but generally a lot of "demeaning" things are ordered in an industry with less conventionality. Same with politics.

The word "kiss ass" was invented for a reason.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by HizMissy(f): 9:51pm On Apr 03, 2015
As a lady, her handbag = briefcase. You should have carried it.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by duni04(m): 9:57pm On Apr 03, 2015
HizMissy:
As a lady, her handbag = briefcase. You should have carried it.
A guy your age whose father just happens to own the company you work with and who does the exact same thing you do for the company, but only outranks you cos his father owns the company, would ask you to carry his briefcase for him and you would gladly oblige?
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by mmsen: 9:58pm On Apr 03, 2015
Thomsbuky:

Where in everywhere in the world? Its only in Africans and some Asia countries .... In Europe, America, Manager, officer, operative knows their right and responsibility, boundary are respected in western world. However, should any ones overstep or trample one another person...Union, Arbitration court in position to mediate and award compensation to victim of industrial or work related dispute.

Chinese workers are notorious for taking abuse from their bosses.

Indian workers do not leave the office until after their boss has left - which can often mean staying in the office from 8am to 10pm. The workers are not compensated for the extra hours. I've noticed that this mentality of willful slavery has caused tension in the Gulf States between Arabs who have more self-respect and their Indian colleagues who are seen as bootlickers who will tolerate anything for money.

Such practices should not be tolerated in any civil society or one where the social welfare of the individual is important. Abuse should be stamped out at all levels as soon as possible, otherwise it becomes a way of life.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by kelvyn7: 10:01pm On Apr 03, 2015
duni04:

Pele. I understand you, its in your stars undecided

see, the level I am today, how much I earn and how much I generate from investments won't have been possible if I wasn't humble to my different bosses.

some bosses will show u some key tins if u are humble.

but if u carry ur pride and wear it like a gown, u will never get it. they will just figure it out and keep u at d normal level.

I m talking from experience.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Thomsbuky(m): 10:02pm On Apr 03, 2015
Filmdirect:

In the western world, it depends on the job. No, a boss here will not tell you to carry their purse in a corporate setting but they might ask you to make them coffee.
In some jobs though, for example the art world where progression is less conventional, you will do anything from walk the dog, pick up the dry cleaning, clean the floor, etc in order to progress, or make the creative director or the boss like you. Not saying everyone will, if they can't they will not work there, but generally a lot of "demeaning" things are ordered in an industry with less conventionality. Same with politics.

The word "kiss ass" was invented for a reason.

But working in office or skilled job, where your responsibility is clear stated in yr job description and person responsibility your Manager would not asked you to fetch bag from car and got sacked in the process.. The company that employed that manger better prepared surely will pay heavy fine for unfair dismissal..... However, working in office environment employees need to have flexible attitude and approach to work, as you may be asked to help out in some cases if their is shortage of staff or during busy period.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by sunnshyn(f): 10:02pm On Apr 03, 2015
Tricky situation...

It's not only in Nigeria this sort of things happen, even in saner climes u'd be shocked.

I remember I was a victim to this too in a firm, in fact my own was so horrible that during lunch I'd see my manager(White) come to my table, hand over some bills rudely to me and ask me to buy not just her lunch but several people...when she and others could easily have used the vending machine or a cleaner..

This episode remains the most humbling and annoying part in all my years of working.

What did I do? I was buying...lol....until....

One day, I was fed up and pretended to be engrossed in a particular task and decided not to have lunch and saw her coming as usual...before she could ask me, I just told started talking about how tasking the assignment was and if she could help me with lunch this time around. She looked up at me very surprised, murmured something and walked away taking my money with her..

Next day, I walked up to her table before she came to mine and asked her what she wanted...she smiled and told me. I went.

Next day, I did the same and before you know it we all started going out for lunch together...

It was one of the HARDEST things I have done!! But I needed the job, so to keep sane I just had to apply wisdom...

Wisdom the bible says is profitable to direct.

In your case OP, you would have carried. Compliment the bag sef. And anytime you ride together, do it even before being asked(that way it doesn't look like u are being used) and compliment again if u can...then after a while, as soon as you arrive at d office u jump off quickly even before she asks. By so doing it wouldn't be seen as been rude or proud...

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Opey4luv(m): 10:03pm On Apr 03, 2015
Viciyus:

Who made that book?
Robert greene

Is he a human?

Yes

In some cases of life, you outshine your master sometimes

Brother.
Go and understands life

Have you read the book?
No

Have you ever written anything on power?
No

Then you're not qualified to fault the book.

Robert said "When you know your boss is on his way down, you can even hasten that process by out shinning him"

The case of GEJ and Amaechi is an example!
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by duni04(m): 10:07pm On Apr 03, 2015
sunnshyn:
Tricky situation...

It's not only in Nigeria this sort of things happen, even in saner climes u'd be shocked.

I remember I was a victim to this too in a firm, in fact my own was so horrible that during lunch I'd see my manager(White) come to my table, hand over some bills rudely to me and ask me to buy not just her lunch but several people...when she and others could easily have used the vending machine or a cleaner..

This episode remains the most humbling and annoying part in all my years of working.

What did I do? I was buying...lol....until....

One day, I was fed up and pretended to be engrossed in a particular task and decided not to have lunch and saw her coming as usual...before she could ask me, I just told started talking about how tasking the assignment was and if she could help me with lunch this time around. She looked up at me very surprised, murmured something and walked away taking my money with her..

Next day, I walked up to her table before she came to mine and asked her what she wanted...she smiled and told me. I went.

Next day, I did the same and before you know it we all started going out for lunch together...

It was one of the HARDEST things I have done!! But I needed the job, so to keep sane I just had to apply wisdom...

Wisdom the bible says is profitable to direct.

In your case OP, you would have carried. Compliment the bag sef. And anytime you ride together, do it even before being asked(that way it doesn't look like u are being used) and compliment again if u can...then after a while, as soon as you arrive at d office u jump off quickly even before she asks. By so doing it wouldn't be seen as been rude or proud...

No way!
God forbid bad thing! For my age mate? And I'm a man? And we do exactly the same thing in the company?
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by cronsberg: 10:09pm On Apr 03, 2015
Imaging the same fired employee grabbed his secretary's aszz, if she quickly pushed his hands away he fires her. Tell me if that secretary will not immediately sue the guy in court. Thats the same as your female boss asking you to carry her bags. WTH? in a formal office environment? women have problem i swear. They want to feel they are in control of everything, if possible, women will want to be worshiped. Take that bitch to court asap for unlawful termination of employment. Now you know why women should rarely be allowed in leadership positions. their emotions are messed up infact "women should especially not be allowed in the military, the police force, or inside a male prison cuz look what you get, doctor sweet chicks leaves the door open for scofield and his gang" grin (brad bellick)
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by xtervaganza(m): 10:16pm On Apr 03, 2015
Thomsbuky:

I'm not denying the existence of all you listed above, but if you're telling me there's no workplace abuse in Europe and America then u need to speak with people you know who live there
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by sunnshyn(f): 10:19pm On Apr 03, 2015
duni04:

No way!
God forbid bad thing! For my age mate? And I'm a man? And we do exactly the same thing in the company?

Your age mate but she's your boss remember? As for being a man, just pocket it. See darling, it all has to do with how you handle the situation...light-heartnedness...it's hard I know 'cos during my time there were days I cried on getting home...

Don't let people fool you. As we journey through life and climb the ladder in our careers we'll encounter situations that are not palatable....but wisdom will take us far far...

Do u know that even if u have gone to say HR or her superior(maybe her dad) to report the treatment you may also be blamed and called proud?

Let's put it in perspective:

1) It's her father's firm
2) She's your boss
3) You need the job

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Filmdirect: 10:19pm On Apr 03, 2015
cronsberg:
Imaging the same fired employee grabbed his secretary's aszz, if she quickly pushed his hands away he fires her. Tell me if that secretary will not immediately sue the guy in court. Thats the same as your female boss asking you to carry her bags. WTH? in a formal office environment? women have problem i swear. They want to feel they are in control of everything, if possible, women will want to be worshiped. Take that bitch to court asap for unlawful termination of employment. Now you know why women should rarely be allowed in leadership positions. their emotions are messed up infact "women should especially not be allowed in the military, the police force, or inside a male prison cuz look what you get, doctor sweet chicks leaves the door open for scofield and his gang" grin (brad bellick)

Oh please! No one with an objective POV will take your comments as sensible, because we all know that men do the same. See you CAN NOT see past her gender. Men in leadership position oppress, demean, belittle, and abuse their employees all the time. Just that you are used to it and accept it as the norm. When a woman does it, you throw all women under the bus.

Well that is the pecking order in humans. Just like you peck on the female, someone else will peck on you or your kind. For example, "look at that black man, they are all thugs, childish, indisciplined, aggressive, stupid etc." sound familiar? Oh but that would hurt because it is now personal.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by kaboninc(m): 10:20pm On Apr 03, 2015
bukatyne:

OK, now the picture is clearer

1. The father is akin a very big mistake, that girl will run his sweat to the ground. She might not be lazy buy she is not doing What she likes.

2. The OP would not have gone far however he would have learnt a lot as the father had already seen his potentials.

He let simple bag carrying ruin his chance of learning from the master free of charge

He better go back and beg the lady If possible.

Am telsing you!

I trust he will
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by kubrat(f): 10:22pm On Apr 03, 2015
wristwatch:
It is not in the company's rules and regulation u shud carry your boss handbag.

U have not done anything wrong. She needs a puppet and she thought that puppet can be you.

I appreciate d fact dat u turn down her request.

U neva carry your mama bag let alone your wife/gf. Nah one arrogant bi*ch u wan do boi boi for. Ur head correct OP.
I'm sure if he asks for a loan of 2000 u LL not give,his pride has cost him this mud pay.meanwhile,ever heard of stoop to conquer? U no fit call cow brother because u wan eat beef abi.better luck next time.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 10:22pm On Apr 03, 2015
kelvyn7:

hmmmmn, u forget say na naija u dey, no work available. the country is hard! if u get alternative, u fit make yanga. but the situation of s country is not helping matters. Oya find work 4 d guy nau.

The guy may not find another job too quickly. Hw abt if he get family? Hw dem go take feed? loose job becos of pride. not be say na ur junior officer, nah ur boss!! if she talk say make d guy wash her cloth now, I for understand. or say make d guy clean her shoes , I for understand. they went for a meeting and she asked him to help with her bag, and the guy dey form big boy. Big boy my foot!!! if na babe wen him dey pursue b4, and she ask, he no go carry am?? or if na man ßoss nko?

make he go home go tell him family say dey sack am because of dat reason nau.

in fact, I personally feel he had no regards for d lady boss. or mayb cos she is small or young. that's bull sh!t

Brother, there are some key times u swallow ur pride!!! it's not like she does it always, just dat time!

#the way to the top is from the bottom.

#pride kills faster than Ebola
This your comments put light to the matter shall.

Na true shall for naija, work na gold now.

Base on his writing, I dey feel say na pride he put for this matter.
But he for use wisdom. Or say OK make I carry your load.
You just carry your bag. Peace go dey.

This same thing happened to me.

But my own be say she want me make I go carry her bag for car. I just said "ma, I no fit go carry your bag. I dey do work ohh"

Since then she never ask me make I carry any of her thins

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Thomsbuky(m): 10:23pm On Apr 03, 2015
mmsen:

Chinese workers are notorious for taking abuse from their bosses.

Indian workers do not leave the office until after their boss has left - which can often mean staying in the office from 8am to 10pm. The workers are not compensated for the extra hours. I've noticed that this mentality of willful slavery has caused tension in the Gulf States between Arabs who have more self-respect and their Indian colleagues who are seen as bootlickers who will tolerate anything for money.

Such practices should not be tolerated in any civil society or one where the social welfare of the individual is important. Abuse should be stamped out at all levels as soon as possible, otherwise it becomes a way of life.

What is your point quoting me? I mentioned African and Asia countries. Asia cover China, indian Malaysia Korea etc...I said not in Western countries were boundary between workers, management and employers are respected.

However, Asia are improving as European and America keep asking them to respect workers right and threatening to boycott their goods should worker right and condition does not improve.

African still have long way to go most of those mechanisms are not in place, where in place not effective To be effective worker need free access to courts, union (effective one) industrial tribunal courts, to help fight abuse of power in work place. It needs total overhaul and modernise and given investigative powers to protect workers.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Tijay90(m): 10:24pm On Apr 03, 2015
May I not sell my dignity for whatever amount...if the bag was so heavy for her to carry,she shouldn't ve taken it out of her house...& then,I doubt if she included "carrying bag" in ur job description,or if you would 've accepted the job if she did...If you're good at what you do,you're gonna get another job soon...or better still,a project of your own...Carrying bags at work is for half-baked graduates who dunno what they're doing,or "employed"office boys or girls...my opinion though.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by duni04(m): 10:27pm On Apr 03, 2015
sunnshyn:

Your age mate but she's your boss remember? As for being a man, just pocket it. See darling, it all has to do with how you handle the situation...light-heartnedness...it's hard I know 'cos during my time there were days I cried on getting home...

Don't let people fool you. As we journey through life and climb the ladder in our careers we'll encounter situations that are not palatable....but wisdom will take us far far...

Do u know that even if u have gone to say HR or her superior(maybe her dad) to report the treatment you may also be blamed and called proud?

Let's put it in perspective:

1) It's her father's firm
2) She's your boss
3) You need the job

We're never going to agree cos our perceptions of self worth and dignity are miles apart! I respect your position though.
Plus there are things a man should not do to keep his "manliness" intact. You do not, never ever, carry the handbag of a woman that's the same age with you for any reason! Except shes crippled.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Apr 03, 2015
Opey4luv:

Have you read the book?
No

Have you ever written anything on power?
No

Then you're not qualified to fault the book.

Robert said "When you know your boss is on his way down, you can even hasten that process by out shinning him"

The case of GEJ and Amaechi is an example!
Your formal post, contradict this one.

If only you put "unless" unless when he is on his way down, you can hasten that process by out shinning him.

I read that book too
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by mmsen: 10:28pm On Apr 03, 2015
Thomsbuky:

What is your point quoting me? I mentioned African and Asia countries. Asia cover China, indian Malaysia Korea etc...I said not in Western countries were boundary between workers, management and employers are respected.

However, Asia are improving as European and America keep asking them to respect workers right and threatening to boycott their goods should worker right and condition does not improve.

African still have long way to go most of those mechanisms are not in place, where in place not effective To be effective worker need free access to courts, union (effective one) industrial tribunal courts, to help fight abuse of power in work place. It needs total overhaul and modernise and given investigative powers to protect workers.

I am not disputing your comments, it was an addendum to what you wrote.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Apr 03, 2015
klark3:
I was employed as an architect in a medium size architectural firm, my boss happens to be a lady.

I hitched a ride in her car after a meeting with a client on site, It's was even my first time of hitching a ride in her car, as I have always eschewed it, on getting to the office she asked me to carry her hand bag along, but I turned deaf ear to her request and swiftly went straight to the office, but she came to my office and gave me a sullen glare.

I thought the malice won't last long, but unfortunately for me, she fired me this morning for a no cogent reason.

I'm downcast and bewildered, she's just privilege to be the manager because it's her dad firm, she's my contemporary, and I was on the verge of supervising a gigantic project.

Was I wrong?
Dem dey pursue u for village
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Arnoldfish(m): 10:32pm On Apr 03, 2015
eyeview:
You weren't wrong. It was never stated in the offer letter that you job description included carrying her hand bag. She has inferiority complex and she could only overcome it by seeing you do attend to her domestic needs. She wanted to cross the line and you didn't let her. That's the same way some people get to start doing uncomplimentary things to keep their jobs. You were a man.
Don't feel bad,other jobs will turn up.
funny response, tell the guy say em Bleep up. ah if na me be you, i will write an apology letter and ask her for me to stay and carry the bag as long as she wants me to, even if na to carry am dey sleep. you dont like the job i guess

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by JustCare: 10:32pm On Apr 03, 2015
Viciyus:

Na seun get that username
I know he has many though
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by sunnshyn(f): 10:32pm On Apr 03, 2015
duni04:

We're never going to agree cos our perceptions of self worth and dignity are miles apart! I respect your position though.
Plus there are things a man should not do to keep his "manliness" intact. You do not, never ever, carry the handbag of a woman that's the same age with you for any reason! Except shes crippled.

Hahahahahah!! You keep going about your 'man-ness'...that's where I have a bit of a problem now...

Maybe you shouldn't be an employee then. Just start up your own business dear.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 10:37pm On Apr 03, 2015
Calebosko:
ekpe,u dull,u for cary am na,u for form mugu for am,u fit get luck she cal u cum do d tin,wen she dey huny,if u dey do am like dat always u fit get luck she mary u

I pity Nigerian youth...
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by olareed(m): 10:39pm On Apr 03, 2015
Ur next boss may ask u wash her panties...who knws?...so go back to ur ex and be a good bag carrier...
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by IDEApro(m): 10:39pm On Apr 03, 2015
Op, carrying female bag is it in your job description? Write a letter to the director reminding him you have your expectations and was willingly to build a career professionally and ask for reinstatement or better still a good recommendation letter for future reference.

Women love testing their little power on their subordinates. Good a thing you call bluff her insensitivity. Had you done it, she would have continued until you end up even buying sanitary pads for her.

Talk to her father. Most men don't mix work ethics with emotional tantrums
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by duni04(m): 10:42pm On Apr 03, 2015
sunnshyn:

Hahahahahah!! You keep going about your 'man-ness'...that's where I have a bit of a problem now...

Maybe you shouldn't be an employee then. Just start up your own business dear.
Funny thing is men that know what self respect and dignity mean command more respect from people like you. No one likes a man that'll do anything to keep his job, carry her handbag today or sleep with her tomorrowundecided
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Solozzo(m): 10:43pm On Apr 03, 2015
In my opinion you were wrong. Although not in your job description to carry your boss bag, it enhances human relationship if your oblige your colleagues and bosses at work. She just helped you in her car from the site. Is it her duty to pick you in her car? Some things we do at work are overlooked by our bosses because of good relationships. Say for instance coming to work at 835am instead of official 800am. She just asked for help probably her hands were full and u snubbed her because she was a lady. If she were a male boss would you not have helped him. "Hell knows no furry like a woman scorned" says Shakespeare.

Hood luck in your job search!
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
duni04:
From the posts I've seen, its very obvious that slavery is in the stars of some people. Some people were born slaves! They can't help it undecided
If you're a man and you've condemned the OP, you ain't going far in life. You have zero self worth and are a disgrace to your kind.

Brother!!!

Go read the comment well.

He dey suffer from superior complex or weti them call am self.

I no dey in support of carrying the bag.

But he dey feel say he dey bigger than the girl

Forget na she get the company.

Sometimes. You have to use wisdom. Carry the load make she carry her bag. Simple

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by stainlink(m): 10:44pm On Apr 03, 2015
rokiatu:
Good radiance to bad rubbish abi. You are better of not working to such a place.
rokiatu:
Good radiance to bad rubbish abi. You are better of not working to such a place.
What the hell are u talking about?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply)

I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr / A Month After I Was Sacked, I Was Mistakenly Credited With ₦40,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.