Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,067 members, 7,953,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:06 PM

She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. - Career (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. (76080 Views)

How Should I Respond To My Boss Who Fired Me Via Email? / My Boss Asked Me To Go Back To School. Before I Slip Into Depression, Help Me. / Why I Refused To Confirm Four Trainees After Their Assessment Centre. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by frisky2good(m): 5:24am On Apr 04, 2015
What is so difficult about carrying a handbag? If it was a male boss that asked you to carry his briefcase, won't you carry it? Most guys think it is an insult to carry a lady's handbag but they don't understand that it takes a lot of trust for a lady to even allow you to carry her handbag. 9 out of 10 times, you will get sacked if you continue to have the African mentality that a man should never carry a lady's handbag. Swallow your pride and give her a call. Give her one excuse for not carrying the bag and apologise for your behavior. Once she sees that she has humbled you, she will take you back. Goodluck.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Empiree: 5:26am On Apr 04, 2015
[quote author=CityNG post=32329639]

In California, if you are terminated for just cause then it's an automatic denial and the employee can appeal, without the benefit of a lawyer.
Same in NY actually

I was terminated once for not attending a mandatory staff meeting. I simply told the judge that I was delayed at a clients meeting and thought it was better for my employers business if I satisfied the client. I had proof and I won.
You had a nice claim. So straight forward

It's not easy to collect unemployment though it's there else folks will just be getting themselves fired and sit at home.
Folks here get themselves fired to get it. But i think the law is tough now due to economy. They are forced to work but they still have right to ask for 1-4 months extension with valid proof

[b]The money is not as much as your regular salary also.[/b]Yea, a Ghanaian friend told me this. He was getting it after he was unjustly fired.

No one likes to claim UI but I'm glad it's there as a benefit and as s cushion for wrong termination.
A responsible , hardworking man should only use it justly, briefly without abuse

OP here would never get to claim UI because he was insubordinate to his boss. It wasn't as if she asked him to go wash her car. It's not unreasonable to ask for him to carry a bag after a meeting.
He deserved no unemployment benefit.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by frisky2good(m): 5:27am On Apr 04, 2015
Sleep with her? You don think this matter go far o grin
duni04:

Today you're carrying her hand bag to "put food on the table", tomorrow you're sleeping with her to "put food on the table".What is wrong is wrong! If you don't draw the line when it starts, you'll end up doing the most demeaning things to "Put food on the table"
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by dammytosh: 6:19am On Apr 04, 2015
drfk001:
dude you are wrong...she ain't your girlfriend who you can form alpha male for. Dust your cv and include carrying of bags as your special skill
Damn it.

You wikid.

Best advice.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by RikoduoSennin(m): 6:50am On Apr 04, 2015
klark3:
I was employed as an architect in a medium size architectural firm, my boss happens to be a lady.

I hitched a ride in her car after a meeting with a client on site, It's was even my first time of hitching a ride in her car, as I have always eschewed it, on getting to the office she asked me to carry her hand bag along, but I turned deaf ear to her request and swiftly went straight to the office, but she came to my office and gave me a sullen glare.

I thought the malice won't last long, but unfortunately for me, she fired me this morning for a no cogent reason.

I'm downcast and bewildered, she's just privilege to be the manager because it's her dad firm, she's my contemporary, and I was on the verge of supervising a gigantic project.

Was I wrong?

You were not wrong!

You are a PROFESSIONAL, and I am sure that is why you were hired (for your professional service), carrying her bag is not part of your Job description. She can only ask you to do that if both of you are cosy with each other otherwise it is inappropriate- She brought the bag to the meeting herself, took it to the car herself, what is wrong with her hands that she decides to asked you to take to to the office under the watchful eyes of your colleagues? She did not asked you to 'HELP' take it to the car but instead she wants you to take it to her office (I smile ulterior motives- something fishy).

Take her to court for wrongful termination of employment (after reviewing the terms of appointment with your Lawyer friend). She must provide a legal reason to fire you (review the termination of employment letter given to you to see if it is in accordance with the Law).

Her supposed defence insubordination is groundless since carrying her handbag is not included in your job description hence not an official request/order- so its up to you to HELP her or not as it turns out to be the case.

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by sfx9ja(m): 7:45am On Apr 04, 2015
JayKaba:
Yes, you are wrong. As long you are not working for yourself, you need to learn to 'suck up' to your boss, especially in our kind of environment (Nigeria). Sorry man, goodluck at your next job.
I agree and also disagree with you... His action of turning a deaf ear is the wrong part.the nonresponse was what incubated the sack. ppl should learn to be politely confrontational. He should have spoken with her immediately on why he thinks he should not do it. Their age parity, non professional, blah blah blah. I am positive he would have even gained the respect or even admiration of the boss. He should learn!
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 04, 2015
drfk001:
dude you are wrong...she ain't your girlfriend who you can form alpha male for. Dust your cv and include carrying of bags as your special skill
gringringrin
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by bufness(m): 8:04am On Apr 04, 2015
U see y wee lawyers have an edge grin , i'll immediately sue her silly arse for breach of contractual agreement,before u can fire sum1 u nid to ve given him or her three months notice or pay one month salary in advance
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by blakky97(m): 8:40am On Apr 04, 2015
pcguru1:

Actually this is the right move, its not in your job requirement to carry her bag. I would never carry my MD's Bag if instructed unless he'd asked me to help assist.
she can tell you she didnt sack you because of the bag. She'll name another offence that cant be argued.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 8:55am On Apr 04, 2015
problem with Nigerian employees is the fact that they always forget to know about their right once offered a job ,they get engulfed and sits on a time bomb. there are laws guiding ur hiring and firing both in public and private sector, get a hold of this law/firm bye law and sue their sorry ass for wrongful dismissal without substantial basis, sue them in monetary value, goto Legal aid council to get a free lawyer, gone are the days when men perish because of ignorance Bro. I wish u lv,luck and success

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by pickabeau1: 9:23am On Apr 04, 2015
klark3:

That's the point, it's her personal make up bag, my male sensibilities wouldn't permit me to do it. if it were to be another thing, like a model, design proposal, I would have graciously oblige her request.

I guess she was beginning to perceive me as a rival, and was scared of my chances of taking over, because I was highly commended by her dad for a project I executed recently. She was supposed to handle the architectural drawings and specifications, but the layout wasn't working and the project was transferred to my desk.

You know women, her dad compelled her to study architecture, so she could take over from him. she is the lazy type and wouldn't have willingly go for architecture.

Guess she did it deliberately to get me out of her way. But she didn't know I wouldn't have accepted to be the manager, because it's her dad firm.

Just wanted to build my clientele.

It's all good though, thanks man for your concern.

If you are as good as you say u are, you are also an asset to the firm.
Contact the dad and apologize for insubordination
No need to give details of the 'offence'

Why should see be envious of you
Her dad had done the job gifting her a coy
You r d one coming up

Eat humble pie
Get back in do your job
Lay low
Wait for a better opportunity
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by pickabeau1: 9:23am On Apr 04, 2015
klark3:

That's the point, it's her personal make up bag, my male sensibilities wouldn't permit me to do it. if it were to be another thing, like a model, design proposal, I would have graciously oblige her request.

I guess she was beginning to perceive me as a rival, and was scared of my chances of taking over, because I was highly commended by her dad for a project I executed recently. She was supposed to handle the architectural drawings and specifications, but the layout wasn't working and the project was transferred to my desk.

You know women, her dad compelled her to study architecture, so she could take over from him. she is the lazy type and wouldn't have willingly go for architecture.

Guess she did it deliberately to get me out of her way. But she didn't know I wouldn't have accepted to be the manager, because it's her dad firm.

Just wanted to build my clientele.

It's all good though, thanks man for your concern.

If you are as good as you say u are, you are also an asset to the firm.
Contact the dad and apologize for insubordination
No need to give details of the 'offence'

Why should see be envious of you
Her dad had done the job gifting her a coy
You r d one coming up in d industry

Eat humble pie
Get back in do your job
Lay low
Wait for a better opportunity
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by NosoChic: 10:12am On Apr 04, 2015
Carry her bag then what next .....go to the market to buy ingredients for her soup

then go to do her laundry. ....et al.

please jare ....go on with your life. Unfortunately, this is Nigeria where the employer can hire and fire at will.

Our labour laws just don't work......

5 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Simplymeah: 10:37am On Apr 04, 2015
Personally, I feel u were neither wrong nor right,fyn bag carrying is nt part of ur job but u found ursef in dat situatn probably cos she gave u a ride. So,u shud av simply carried d bag dat day n guide against a re occurrence by setting limits n creating boundaries.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by leofab(f): 10:48am On Apr 04, 2015
frisky2good:
What is so difficult about carrying a handbag? If it was a male boss that asked you to carry his briefcase, won't you carry it? Most guys think it is an insult to carry a lady's handbag but they don't understand that it takes a lot of trust for a lady to even allow you to carry her handbag. 9 out of 10 times, you will get sacked if you continue to have the African mentality that a man should never carry a lady's handbag. Swallow your pride and give her a call. Give her one excuse for not carrying the bag and apologise for your behavior. Once she sees that she has humbled you, she will take you back. Goodluck.
OP is not her driver.

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by forexprophet(m): 11:31am On Apr 04, 2015
klark3:
I was employed as an architect in a medium size architectural firm, my boss happens to be a lady.

I hitched a ride in her car after a meeting with a client on site, It's was even my first time of hitching a ride in her car, as I have always eschewed it, on getting to the office she asked me to carry her hand bag along, but I turned deaf ear to her request and swiftly went straight to the office, but she came to my office and gave me a sullen glare.

I thought the malice won't last long, but unfortunately for me, she fired me this morning for a no cogent reason.

I'm downcast and bewildered, she's just privilege to be the manager because it's her dad firm, she's my contemporary, and I was on the verge of supervising a gigantic project.

Was I wrong?

YOU ARE VERY PROUD. work on your pride or it will keep u out of any job in d future. Even if u hv ur own firm, u will nt b able to kip employee. Pride has many manifestations including d one u just manifested(u feel she is not suppose to ur boss or because she is female) Know this, that as far as u ar in this world, u will alway hv a boss. u must submit to someone even if u hv ur own firm. The worse part of pride is dat its carriers will not know dat they are proud, so they kip giving reasons for their actions. pls accept dat u hv problem wit pride and stat workn on it. I will advice dat u get a tape by Sam Adeyemi title PRIDE CHECK 101.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nelrulez(m): 11:39am On Apr 04, 2015
klark3:

Was I wrong?
it could have been a humility test for you but you failed and she had no choice rather than to fire you.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by laytoshtwo: 11:52am On Apr 04, 2015
klark3:

You are proud.(2) Go and start your own company,you will have client that will ask you to carry their bags.

Was I wrong?
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by SHOCK7(m): 11:52am On Apr 04, 2015
JayKaba:
Yes, you are wrong. As long you are not working for yourself, you need to learn to 'suck up' to your boss, especially in our kind of environment (Nigeria). Sorry man, goodluck at your next job.
u gave d most frivolous comment,so he should her PA?is dat in his job description."op" I applaud u a million times,u can actually sue 2 her 2 couurt

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by wtfCode: 11:56am On Apr 04, 2015
guy u fvck up big time.
Use ur brain in everything u do...
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Honesty007(m): 12:33pm On Apr 04, 2015
You have to stop saying yes all d time ,m,esp in Nigeria.You are not wrong for refusing her.

Ladies and all their crap sha!!!
I wont even answer her,like taking people for Granted sha.if it is d first time,dat is bad!! Coming from her

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by XKZ(m): 1:58pm On Apr 04, 2015
It's shocking the number of people who say the op is wrong. It just goes to show how much the psyches of Nigerians have been brutalised. sad
Buhari faces a herculean task if he thinks he can change these people.
However on a positive note, Chinua Achebe said Nigerians suddenly remembered how to queue a day after Buhari took over (in 1983), so maybe these ones too will remember proper ethics.

5 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 3:14pm On Apr 04, 2015
Chizzy20:
my dear...at tyms one has to bend to d wishes of odas...in other to acheive ones goal...so u were wrng...

Seconded

dude was wrong...she ain't his girlfriend who he can form alpha male for. He should just Dust his cv and include carrying of bags as special skill
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by armadeo(m): 3:47pm On Apr 04, 2015
Viciyus:
Abeg somebody help me.

Who get that username "by nobody"
I no fit torch he profile

The individual has deactivated his account. It doesn't exist again. I remember how that stuff had me thinking sometime ago.

Mostly people deactivate on anger while a large percentageade a fool of themselves on some thread and couldn't live with the shame. We call it e-sepukku. grin
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by Nobody: 4:08pm On Apr 04, 2015
armadeo:

The individual has deactivated his account. It doesn't exist again. I remember how that stuff had me thinking sometime ago.

Mostly people deactivate on anger while a large percentageade a fool of themselves on some thread and couldn't live with the shame. We call it e-sepukku. grin

Heheheh now I don understandgrin grin
No wonder.

I to say na magic ohh
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by SenatorJames(m): 4:13pm On Apr 04, 2015
Wisdom is profitable to direct.

You are not wrong, but you could have applied wisdom to it, why didn't you carry it that day and later express your dissatisfaction about it, she may change. Anyway goodluck in your future endeavour.
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by bigfrancis21: 4:40pm On Apr 04, 2015
frisky2good:

Why can't she carry her own handbag? What happened to her hands and legs?

A gbajili ya aka na okpa o ji ebu akpa nke ya?

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by franksam2009: 4:56pm On Apr 04, 2015
rokiatu:
Good radiance to bad rubbish abi. You are better of not working to such a place.
I already cum while looking at ya d.p, I need more vasline
Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by 0ldirtybastard(m): 5:13pm On Apr 04, 2015
You did the right thing, man. Only in nigeria do employers regard their employees as personal servants. Very backward.

3 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by 0ldirtybastard(m): 5:55pm On Apr 04, 2015
forexprophet:

YOU ARE VERY PROUD. work on your pride or it will keep u out of any job in d future. Even if u hv ur own firm, u will nt b able to kip employee. Pride has many manifestations including d one u just manifested(u feel she is not suppose to ur boss or because she is female) Know this, that as far as u ar in this world, u will alway hv a boss. u must submit to someone even if u hv ur own firm. The worse part of pride is dat its carriers will not know dat they are proud, so they kip giving reasons for their actions. pls accept dat u hv problem wit pride and stat workn on it. I will advice dat u get a tape by Sam Adeyemi title PRIDE CHECK 101.

You have a very low self-esteem.

2 Likes

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by iyknaz(m): 10:03pm On Apr 04, 2015
eyeview:
You weren't wrong. It was never stated in the offer letter that you job description included carrying her hand bag. She has inferiority complex and she could only overcome it by seeing you do attend to her domestic needs. She wanted to cross the line and you didn't let her. That's the same way some people get to start doing uncomplimentary things to keep their jobs. You were a man.
Don't feel bad,other jobs will turn up.
God will really bless u 4 dis post. U spoke my mind. Who d Bleep is she 2 order a staff 2 carry her bag? Is he a houseboy? I don' t even know how we Nigerians even think sef? Y would ppl call him proud and having a big ego because he refused 2 be berated by an unprofessional bitch. Well, I think d op did d right thin. She was just trying 2 belittle him. Once again, tanx 4 dis post...it's gud 2 know that there are still real men out thr. THIS MY OPINION IS NOT PRIDE, IT'S A SIMPLE PRINCIPLE.

1 Like

Re: She Asked Me To Carry Her Hand Bag, I Refused And She Fired Me. by frisky2good(m): 10:34pm On Apr 04, 2015
Ok o. Continue to life in a world of illusion. I still stand by my point. Carrying that handbag would have saved him a lot of trouble.

bigfrancis21:

Why can't she carry her own handbag? What happened to her hands and legs?

A gbajili ya aka na okpa o ji ebu akpa nke ya?

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

I Caught My Boss Pants Down With The Organization's Secretary / Apostle Chibuzor Offer Sacked Chicken Republic Staff Scholarships Abroad / A Month After I Was Sacked, I Was Mistakenly Credited With ₦40,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.