Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,885 members, 7,817,603 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (144) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3028009 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by chinese8107: 9:46pm On Aug 07, 2016
bidexiii:

These is true bro. As you can see the statement was released by the NA spokesman Colonel SK Usman.

It's like the troops underrated those bandits and caught unguard.

losing 2 air men , that's big lost just to fight some bandit.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stephandeswardt: 9:49pm On Aug 07, 2016
I just saw a pic.....of shekau.....with him flanked by two people with manpads. ......shit has gotten real.....
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stephandeswardt: 9:52pm On Aug 07, 2016
giles14:
pls is dat d igla SAM.

www.nairaland.com/3274669/abubakar-shekau-still-alive-aye

Yes it is......shit has gotten real....
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:20pm On Aug 07, 2016
Stephandeswardt:
I just saw a pic.....of shekau.....with him flanked by two people with manpads. ......shit has gotten real.....

It's getting serious now.

Hope how top brass's are seeing these.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by giles14(m): 11:21pm On Aug 07, 2016
I think it's real time does A-jet are retired cause real threat has arrived.
just hop d jf17 enter service ASAP
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 2:25am On Aug 08, 2016
M14A1:

Here
thanks man

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 2:26am On Aug 08, 2016
giles14:
I think it's real time does A-jet are retired cause real threat has arrived.

just hop d jf17 enter service ASAP
err...what does jf-17 have to do with boko?
Boko air force embarassed?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 2:26am On Aug 08, 2016
Oga bidexii...take one shot from dz to step down tongue

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:41am On Aug 08, 2016
Who is Abu Musab al-Barnawi? the new Boko Haram leader

Abu Musab al-Barnawi was declared “governor” of the Nigerian organization in an Islamic State magazine. He is the son of Yusuf, who founded Boko Haram in 2002 and was killed by police in 2009, CNN reported Friday, citing an unidentified source.

The man named by the Islamic State as Boko Haram’s new leader is the son of the latter group’s founder, Mohammed Yusuf.

Boko Haram’s former spokesman Abu Musab al-Barnawi has been named as the Nigerian militant organization’s new leader, the Islamic State group, also known as ISIS, announced Wednesday. Al-Barnawi replaced the Nigerian terror outfit’s long-time leader Abubakar Shekau after much speculation.

Barnawi has maintained a low profile within Boko Haram, a contrast to the fiery and hot-tempered Shekau,

Brief Profile of Abu Mus’ab al-Barnawi

Little is known about Abu Mus’ab al-Barnawi, who appeared in a Boko Haram video in January 2015 as the group’s spokesman
He wore a turban and his face was blurred out and it was filmed as a sit-down studio interview
Unlike Abubakar Shekau his delivery in the Hausa language was considered and softly spoken
Mr Shekau was often filmed in the open, surrounded by fighters, loudly proclaiming his threats, victories and giving rambling ideological lectures
However, Mr Barnawi pulled no punches, warning that towns which resisted Boko Haram in its mission to create an Islamic state would be flattened
He also spoke of being against democracy and foreign education
In his most recent magazine interview, he again objected to the name Boko Haram, by which local people call the group, as it means “Western education is forbidden” in Hausa
He maintained IS was still strong in the region and promised to continue fighting West African governments.
ISIS announced the new appointment in al-Naba, its Arabic weekly newspaper, in which al-Barnawi was identified as “Wali” or governor of its so-called West African Province, according to SITE Intelligence Group’s translation of the report. In an interview with the newspaper, he threatened to kill Christians and bomb churches.

Al-Barnawi accused the West of spreading Christianity to the African region and also said that charities are helping them to do that.

“They strongly seek to Christianize the society. … They exploit the condition of those who are displaced under the raging war, providing them with food and shelter and then Christianizing their children,” al-Barnawi reportedly said.

Furthermore, al-Barnawi said that Boko Haram “remained a force to be reckoned with” and that it had been bringing in new recruits. He called the group’s attack on West African states as a war fought by Muslims against “apostates” and “crusaders.”

The ISIS newspaper did not say about Boko Haram’s former leader Shekau, who was last heard in an audio recording in August last year. At the time, he criticized rivals from spreading rumors of his death stemmed from Nigerian army’s claims that he had been killed. Shekau has consistently mocked Nigerian authorities and other countries, with increasing attacks since more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls were kidnapped in April 2014.

Following a leadership split in the sect last month, which saw the rise of Boko Haram spokesman Abu Barnawi at the expense of longtime acknowledged leader Abubakar Shekau, Barnawi spoke in an interview of a change in direction. Christians, and not Muslims, will be Boko Haram’s target, he said.

He told the magazine the plan is now to “blow up every church that we are able to reach” instead of sectarian violence against other Muslims.

“[Westerners] strongly seek to Christianize the society … they exploit the condition of those who are displaced under the raging war, providing them with food and shelter and then Christianizing their children,” Barnawi said in an interview translated by SITE Intelligence Group.

He added Boko Haram would strike back by “booby-trapping and blowing up every church that we are able to reach and kill all those who we find from the citizens of the cross.”

Brief profile on Shekau

Shekau still maintains some power, with loyal soldiers and crucially, control of schoolgirls abducted in Nigeria’s Chibok forest in 2014. The kidnapping of the girls brought global condemnation and attention to Boko Haram, and the abductees are seen as a powerful bargaining chip, CNN said. .

Mr Shekau took over as the group’s leader after its founder, Muhammad Yusuf, died in Nigerian police custody in July 2009.

Under his leadership Boko Haram became more radical, carried out more killings and swore allegiance to IS in March 2015.

In numerous videos, Mr Shekau taunted the Nigerian authorities, celebrating the group’s violent acts including the abduction of the more than 200 Chibok schoolgirls in April 2014.

Nigeria’s army has claimed to have killed him on several occasions, and he has not appeared in a video since joining IS.

Boko Haram declared allegiance to the Islamic State in 2015, as its power waned. A concerted effort by Nigerian military and police forces, as well as by a coalition of troops from neighboring countries, has taken back most of the territory the group formerly held in northeastern, and predominately Muslim, Nigeria.

The oil-rich nation of about 182 million people is roughly half Christian and half Muslim

Boko Haram is fighting to oust the Nigerian government. However, it had lost majority of its territory it controlled 18 months ago to the country’s army. The group’s seven-year insurgency resulted in deaths of at least 20,000 people, mostly in the country’s north-east.

History of Boko Haram

Founded in 2002, initially focused on opposing Western-style education
Launched military operations in 2009
Thousands killed, mostly in north-eastern Nigeria, hundreds abducted, including at least 200 schoolgirls
Joined so-called Islamic State, calls itself IS’s “West African province”
Seized large area in north-east, where it declared caliphate
Regional force has retaken most territory last year
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:42am On Aug 08, 2016
Odunayaw:
Oga bidexii...take one shot from dz to step down tongue

Reminds me of some oldies way back....... grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 6:44am On Aug 08, 2016
#REVA MRAP'S

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Katyusha(m): 7:48am On Aug 08, 2016
Saw this photo online...and its quite disturbing. How on earth did BH acquire SA-7 MANPADS? This just justifies my belief that BH has been receiving tacit support from the Chadian Government.
The DSS clearly isn't doing enough.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Stephandeswardt: 8:17am On Aug 08, 2016
Katyusha:
Saw this photo online...and its quite disturbing. How on earth did BH acquire SA-7 MANPADS? This just justifies my belief that BH has been receiving tacit support from the Chadian Government.

I agree there is foreign influence, buy the main backers. ....is what am not sure about
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 8:32am On Aug 08, 2016
Katyusha:

What is the role of our DSS, i mean asides been mere political hacks for any government in power, what do they even do everyday?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:36am On Aug 08, 2016
Katyusha:

First of all the military intellegence said Shekau is dead, how come these new video materials are now coming up. I av a feeling that these materials are just propaganda.

Let's wait for the military's take on the issue.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by persius555(m): 8:45am On Aug 08, 2016
Stephandeswardt:

I agree there is foreign influence, buy the main backers. ....is what am not sure about
I hope Oga bidexii is now convinced that the present BH (post Mohammed Yusuf) has strong foreign backing.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 8:53am On Aug 08, 2016
persius555:
I hope Oga bidexii is now convinced that the present BH (post Mohammed Yusuf) has strong foreign backing.

Hahahahah...... grin

Of course BHT terrorist has local & foreign support. What I have always kicked against is the believe that BHT group was intentionally created to fight or destabilize past government efforts.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Katyusha(m): 9:27am On Aug 08, 2016
Henry240:

What is the role of our DSS, i mean asides been mere political hacks for any government in power, what do they even do everyday?
Its so sad how succcessive Governments have "Gestapolized" (For lack of a better term), the DSS. The DSS has no business arresting and detaining political dissenters. These 1st generation Soviet MANPADS, though extremely inaccurate, can be lethal against helics and other low flying aircraft. I just hope these things won't be smuggled into centres like Lagos and Abuja as they may be used against passenger aircrafts which have no counter-measures.

The DSS has done quite well within the last 2 years or thereabout...The fact that terrorist attacks have drastically reduced in civilian centres shows that a lot has been going on behind the scenes.

The fall of the Libyan regime in 2011 led to a uncontrollable "free for all" looting of Libyan armouries. Conventional weapons siezed from Gaddafi's huge stocks have fueled insurgencies not only in Syria, but also in Somalia and Nigeria and most of these weapons are unaccounted for till today. I have no doubt that the Chadian Government served as middlemen in the purchase of these weapons by Boko Haram.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:14am On Aug 08, 2016
Katyusha:
Its so sad how succcessive Governments have "Gestapolized" (For lack of a better term), the DSS. The DSS has no business arresting and detaining political dissenters. These 1st generation Soviet MANPADS, though extremely inaccurate, can be lethal against helics and other low flying aircraft. I just hope these things won't be smuggled into centres like Lagos and Abuja as they may be used against passenger aircrafts which have no counter-measures.

The DSS has done quite well within the last 2 years or thereabout...The fact that terrorist attacks have drastically reduced in civilian centres shows that a lot has been going on behind the scenes.

The fall of the Libyan regime in 2011 led to a uncontrollable "free for all" looting of Libyan armouries. Conventional weapons siezed from Gaddafi's huge stocks have fueled insurgencies not only in Syria, but also in Somalia and Nigeria and most of these weapons are unaccounted for till today. I have no doubt that the Chadian Government served as middlemen in the purchase of these weapons by Boko Haram.

I hope they would not bring these into our urban cities.
And also I hope our belo's in the N.E theatre are equipped with counter measures, if they are not they better start upgrading/equiping them any time from now.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by persius555(m): 10:14am On Aug 08, 2016
Katyusha:

We would be deceiving ourselves to think BH was not working tirelessly to acquire these technologies all these while.
Forget all the cross border attack on Countries that share border with us, Nigeria remains BH's ultimate target.
There is no doubt that the manpads were smuggled into Nigeria from Chad or Niger. If there is a syndicate out there beyond our borders that is getting paid to bring in these weapons, we might as well go after them covertly. Only god knows how many are within our territory as we speak and how many these su**ckers are willing to buy.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 10:57am On Aug 08, 2016
#AFSF

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Katyusha(m): 11:39am On Aug 08, 2016
persius555:
We would be deceiving ourselves to think BH was not working tirelessly to acquire these technologies all these while.
Forget all the cross border attack on Countries that share border with us, Nigeria remains BH's ultimate target.
There is no doubt that the manpads were smuggled into Nigeria from Chad or Niger. If there is a syndicate out there beyond our borders that is getting paid to bring in these weapons, we might as well go after them covertly. Only god knows how many are within our territory as we speak and how many these su**ckers are willing to buy.
Not only are the helos at risk, the Alpha Jets also have something to worry about. I won't be suprised if BH manages to acquire ATGMs..Then, the war will take a drastic turn.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:54am On Aug 08, 2016
Katyusha:
Not only are the helos at risk, the Alpha Jets also have something to worry about. I won't be suprised if BH manages to acquire ATGMs..Then, the war will take a drastic turn.

Then we av no option to turn to russia for counter measures for MBT & IFV.

Either the federal government likes it or not they will av to spend big time for state of the art equipments or else we get back to those days where by soldiers will start deserting..... grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by persius555(m): 2:25pm On Aug 08, 2016
Katyusha:
I would expect that by now the FG would have by now be liasing with the Libyan govt to find out how many more of these pads are most likely in circulation and who is responsible for shipping across our borders.As for the ATGM, let's hope our worst fears are just a dream.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 2:26pm On Aug 08, 2016
Military raids on Arepo and ikorodu creeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjs9kN3Rd_k
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 7:26pm On Aug 08, 2016
NA.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by tsdarkside(m): 8:14pm On Aug 08, 2016
bidexiii:

I hope they would not bring these into our urban cities.
And also I hope our belo's in the N.E theatre are equipped with counter measures, if they are not they better start upgrading/equiping them any time from now.

ohh my my.......we are buying weapons than buying food.....oyeeeeeeee!...we are finished!... cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 08, 2016
x
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 08, 2016
Improvised (& Rechargeable) Batteries for SA-7 MANPADS undecided

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 11:25pm On Aug 08, 2016
nemesis2u:

Improvised (& Rechargeable) Batteries for SA-7 MANPADS undecided

Please she'd more light on these rechargeable batteries proff.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Adminisher: 1:05am On Aug 09, 2016
rugged7:
No army is capable of fighting and winning a war on multiple fronts.

Certainly not the Nigerian army

It is not prudent.

You can't bomb your way out of the problems in the niger delta-You create more collateral damage

It just creates more resentment and widespread disaffection

The nigerdelta problems are deep issues of marginalization that won't go away with bombs

There is no army that does not fight in multiple fronts. It is uninformed civilian thinking that does not understand this. Every army tights on multiple fronts. LICs are even more likely to be multiple front wars. Peru, Colombia, Mexico, India, Saudi Arabia, US, UK, Russia. Every one of them is fighting on multiple fronts

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:00am On Aug 09, 2016
bidexiii:

Please she'd more light on these rechargeable batteries proff.

The SA-7a and SA-7b thermal battery unit is a so-called thermally activated chemical battery, even though molten-salt battery would be a more accurate term . Like a conventional battery, it consists of an electrolyte and two electrodes. Unlike a conventional battery, however, the electrolyte is in solid state at room temperature and the battery is inert until the electrolyte is melted by a pyrotechnic device situated between the electrodes . These batteries provides for high reliability and long storage.

The thermal battery is activated by turning the externally mounted friction switch. Upon activation, the battery generates heat as a byproduct of the chemical reaction, leading to temperatures of more than 200°C at the surface . It provides the IR homing device with current until its detectors have acquired the thermal radiation of the aircraft.From that point on, the internal power source of the missile takes over the supplying of power. Since the external power source functions about 40 seconds.

The factory made SA-7 batteries lasts only 40 seconds once the missile system is switched on just long enough to lock on a target and fire a missile. if the missile is not launched then you will have to change it and these are hard to come by for terrorists.

what the terrorist did was simply measure the output current of a activated thermal battery through out its 40 seconds operational life , and take down the readings. Now he looked for conventional battery sources whose output matched closely with the readings.

Most plausible source is Lithium ion batteries, these are available everywhere like in laptops, high end torches etc and are also rechargeable.
Now he took an old missile thermal battery and extracted the coupling connector.
Then he joined the Lithium ion batteries to the coupling connector so that the whole assembly will fit in to the thermal battery receptacle of the missile launcher. he now packages all these into a U shaped plastic tube for integrity and also adds bare minimum electronics needed for recharging the Lithium ion batteries without removing them (basically copied the recharging scheme implemented in a rechargeable torch).

voila !!!!!
we have a terrorist designed battery for SA-7a and SA-7b only.

however , i know there will be instances where this replica will fail, sometimes it will work but more often it will fail.
the reasons are best not debated in a open forum.

(1) (2) (3) ... (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.