Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup - Sports (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (84047 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / 2015 Women's Afrobasket: D'Tigress On The March / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 27, 2015
terzurum5:

Am not too comfortable with Chinwendu Ihezuo's development. Despite the fact that she was the highest goal scorer in the 2012 FIFA Women U20 World Cup. I espected the same girl to be the hit of town during the last Women U20 World Cup, which she didn't. All the goals dried. It was Asisat that made the difference. Now Chinwendu Ihezue has fallen below the perking order. She will not be in this World Cup. Why?
She played at the 2012 u-17 WC, not the U-20. I also noticed her slump in form, as she also fired blanks at last year's U-17 WC. So it wasn't entirely surprising that she was left out of the WC party.
But her and Igbinovia could get their opportunity at the AAG.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:35pm On May 27, 2015
CFCfan:

She played at the 2012 u-17 WC, not the U-20. I also noticed her slump in form, as she also fired blanks at last year's U-17 WC. So it wasn't entirely surprising that she was left out of the WC party.
But her and Igbinovia could get their opportunity at the AAG.
Thanks bro.
I got that wrong actually.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 8:46pm On May 27, 2015
CFCfan:
Lmao at 9 forwards grin

Seriously, the squad contained a few surprises. I never expected Loveth Ayila to make the squad; and Gloria Ofoegbu was dropped!

Anyway, I believe Nkwocha and Okobi will be used in the midfield. The inclusion of Umotong, Esther, and Courtmey Dike was done to satisfy folks on this thread grin

I did not expect Loveth Ayila to make the team too. She is the weak spot on this team, Also she lacks the fundamentals of the game. I had included Chinwendu Ihezuo instead. Anyway, the coaches knew the players and their current forms more than I do. By the way Gloria Ofoegbu was not included in the team that arrived Canada. I guess Mariam Ibrahim was the defender dropped from the team.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 12:48am On May 28, 2015
Lovely final list. Now I am more confident. The starting 11 has picked itself. A solid bench too.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by humberjade: 11:01am On May 28, 2015
This just came to mind, though it is medicine after death.

If Faith Ikidi was recently nominated as one of d best defenders in d Swedish League, then why did she miss d plane to Canada?
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 11:32am On May 28, 2015
humberjade:
This just came to mind, though it is medicine after death.

If Faith Ikidi was recently nominated as one of d best defenders in d Swedish League, then why did she miss d plane to Canada?

#scratcheshead#..
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by OtunbaJega: 11:37am On May 28, 2015
1) Precious DEDE (Goalkeeper)
35 years old
170 cm

2) Blessing EDOHO (Defender)
22 years old
160 cm

3) Osinachi OHALE (Defender)
23 years old
173 cm

4) Perpetua NKWOCHA (Forward)
39 years old
180 cm

5) Onome EBI (Defender)
32 years old
175 cm

6) Josephine CHUKWUNONYE (Defender)
23 years old
173 cm

7) Ukpong SUNDAY (Forward)
23 years old
158 cm

cool Asisat OSHOALA (Forward)
20 years old
169 cm

9) Desire OPARANOZIE (Forward)
21 years old
165 cm

10) Courtney DIKE (Forward)
20 years old
156 cm

11) Ini-Abasi UMOTONG (Forward)
21 years old
165 cm

12) Halimatu AYINDE (Midfielder)
20 years old
165 cm

13) Ngozi OKOBI (Forward)
21 years old
165 cm

14) Evelyn NWABUOKU (Midfielder)
29 years old
167 cm

15) Ugo NJOKU (Defender)
20 years old
172 cm

16) Ibubeleye WHYTE (Goalkeeper)
23 years old
171 cm

17) Francisca ORDEGA (Forward)
21 years old
155 cm

18) Loveth AYILA (Forward)
20 years old
159 cm

19) Martina OHADUGHA (Midfielder)
24 years old
162 cm

20) Cecilia NKU (Midfielder)
22 years old
153 cm

21) Christy OHIAERIAKU (Goalkeeper)
18 years old
176 cm

22) Sarah NNODIM (Defender)
19 years old
159 cm

23) Ngozi EBERE (Defender)
23 years old
175 cm

OKON Edwin (NGA)Coach
44 years old
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 4:39pm On May 28, 2015
There are five players that should have been included in this team. They are Faith Ikidi, Uchechi Sunday, Chinwendu Ihezuo, Osarenamo Igbinovia and Mariam Ibrahim. The coaches could have tweaked the team to include these players. The team is down for serious hustle at the midfield which shall be occupied by players lacking in size and the game’s intellect. The players such as Ayila, Nku and Esther may have ton of skills but lacked the size and concentration to scare players away from the middle of the field.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 10:16pm On May 28, 2015
Duru1:
There are five players that should have been included in this team. They are Faith Ikidi, Uchechi Sunday, Chinwendu Ihezuo, Osarenamo Igbinovia and Mariam Ibrahim. The coaches could have tweaked the team to include these players. The team is down for serious hustle at the midfield which shall be occupied by players lacking in size and the game’s intellect. The players such as Ayila, Nku and Esther may have ton of skills but lacked the size and concentration to scare players away from the middle of the field.

I totally agree Uchechi and Ikidi should have been included in the final squad,but we have to trust Oga Okon,I really dont think our midfielders are going to be overwhelmed bearing in mind that the players you mentioned are mostly going to be benchwarmers.Our regulars in the midfield position are Okobi,Nwabuoku,Ayinde,Nku and Ohadugha.I also believe Perpetua will play a role as a midfielder too.

Among these players i think there is enough experience and skills to hold their own against formidable opposition.Nwabuoku is a rugged holding midfielder and wont easily be shaken off,same for Ohadugha.I dont need to talk about the qualities of Perpetua

Okobi might be a bit light weight but she is quite nimble and gets away from her markers pretty quickly,her size shouldnt count against her that much,her low center of gravity helps her game a lot.

Ayinde also has got some grit and she is a good passer of the ball.She is quite calm and one who is not afraid to receive the ball always.

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 3:34am On May 29, 2015
Standing at 1.87m (6'1"), France defender Wendie Renard is the tallest player at this year's world cup.

Our likely back four - Ebere, Ebi, Onome, and Chukwunonye are all 5'8".
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 3:53am On May 29, 2015
The two highest-capped Super Falcons players in the list are Precious Dede (96) and Nkwocha (98).

The most capped SF player is former midfielder Maureen Mmadu (101 caps).
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 5:05am On May 29, 2015
Goalkeeper Christy Ohiaeriaku (18yrs old) is the youngest on the squad, while Nkwocha (39yrs old) is the oldest.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 7:38am On May 29, 2015
CFCfan:
Standing at 1.87m (6'1"wink, France defender Wendie Renard is the tallest player at this year's world cup.

Did u mean to say Ebi and Ohale?

2 Likes

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 8:49am On May 29, 2015
dodobytes:

Did u mean to say Ebi and Ohale?
Yes. That was a silly error, lol.
Thanks
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by greatwaters: 9:09am On May 29, 2015
www.nairaland.com/2343916/fifa-16-video-game-include#34200543

Just read that FIFA16 will include womens soccer
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 1:03pm On May 29, 2015
CFCfan:
Standing at 1.87m (6'1"wink, France defender Wendie Renard is the tallest player at this year's world cup.

Ebi and Ohale are, at least, 5'9" or 5'10". The team will definitely have tough times in aerial battles. It is the reasons I emphasized size.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:58pm On May 29, 2015
Duru1:

Ebi and Ohale are, at least, 5'9" or 5'10". The team will definitely have tough times in aerial battles. It is the reasons I emphasized size.
That might also make them grow tired so easily as the game goes on. Because it is not always easy for you to time ahead of your partners especially when they have superior height than you in aerial balls. I expected the coach to have this at the back of his mind before selecting his final squard but here are we. Hope he fashions out a plan B for this though.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:08pm On May 29, 2015
World Cup Excites Umotong, Dike.
SuperFalcons duo of Iniabasi Umotong and Courtney Dike have expressed happiness over being selected by Nigeria for next month’s FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada.
Dike represented Nigeria at the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup held in Canada last year but both players say playing at the senior competition is the biggest thing in any player’s career.
Courtney said: “It’s a massive honour playing for my country and it’s like something you have worked for your whole life; this opportunity is amazing. To be honest, it’s a great feeling right now.”
“I am hoping to bring the experience from the U-20 World Cup to the senior team and hopefully, we will go further than the last team did in Germany four years ago, because we can do it. I am sure we can. Any player knows that the World Cup is the pinnacle of your career, so I definitely cherish this. I will do my best and hopefully, we will get a good result for Nigeria.”
On her part, Umotong said: “I am so happy I can’t stop smiling because it’s so amazing. I am really excited about playing against the best players in the world; it motivates me to be the best that I can be and I am really looking forward to it.
“I am very ready for the task at the World Cup and will relish every opportunity to do my best for my country. I’m bringing my hustle, passion and enthusiasm to the team and hope for the best because this is a golden chance for us.”
dailyindependentnig.com/2015/05/world-cup-excites-umotong-dike/

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 6:18pm On May 29, 2015
Oh boy, courtney dike x just to cute nd meaty(chubby) 4 football
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 9:14pm On May 29, 2015
Danycrusoe:

Crusoe,I am reading deeper meanings into ur statement..hehehehehehe
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 2:57am On May 30, 2015
dodobytes:

Crusoe,I am reading deeper meanings into ur statement..hehehehehehe
Bros ee..... hehehehehe, no mind me jare, buh d gal x pleasing 2 d eye nd she stil has d feminine stature n traits compared to oda naija female playas wu don turn to man finish bkz say dem dy play ball. I hope she kips d feminine stature truout ha career

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 8:39am On May 30, 2015
Just to put in perspective, the Canadian team just beat England in a totally dominant display. Nigeria dominated Canada, but ended with a draw. I think the girls are ready after today's friendly.

2 Likes

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 9:27am On May 30, 2015
Super Falcons will later this Saturday take on WoodBridge, a league 1 Women's team in their second friendly match of the training tour,time for the match is 6pm local time which is 11pm Nigerian time.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:08am On May 30, 2015
Danycrusoe:
At times I just feel she is too beautiful to play football. Hope will not be easily carried away by her male admirers.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:10am On May 30, 2015
Okon To Name Strong Starting XI Against Woodbridge.
Asisat Oshoala, Desire Oparanozie, Josephine Chukwunonye, Onome Ebi, Evelyn Nwabuoku, Halimatu Ayinde and Ebere Ngozi are set to start in Super Falcons' friendly match against Woodbridge Soccer Club on Saturday morning - but veteran goalkeeper Precious Dede might likely make way for Ibubeleye Whyte.
The coach won't drop most of his key players in a bid to perfect strategies ahead of the FIFA Women's World Cup due to get underway on 6th June 2015 in Canada writes SL10 reporter Ademetan Abayomi.
The Nigerians, ranked 33rd in the world and seven-time African champions, drew 0-0 with Canada at the Downsview Park on Monday.
It was a good result considering the poor preparation put together for the team by the Nigeria Football Federation and Okon will keep faith with majority of the girls that prosecuted the match.
Super Falcons cannot afford anything else but a win as they look to qualifying from a World Cup group comprising of Sweden, Australia and USA.
“We are confident ahead of the friendly match and will try as much as possible to win,” coach Okon told SL10.
“Lapses noticed in the game against Canada have been corrected.”
“What we want from our fans is total support. Our people totally believe in us. We have demonstrated in the past few years, we know how to get out of tight situations. We won't disappoint the trust our people have in us,” the coach added.
Probable Super Falcons Starters Vs Woodbridge: Whyte Ibubeleye, Ugo Njoku, Ebere Ngozi, Ebi Onome, Josephine Chukwunonye, Evelyn Nwabuoku, Halimatu Ayinde, Ngozi Okobi, Esther Sunday, Asisat Oshoala, Desire Oparanozie.
www.sl10.ng/news/articles/Category/super-falcons/edwin-okon-to-name-strong-starting-xi-against-woodbridge/210878?next=true

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 11:55am On May 30, 2015
Orkpekyandega:
At times I just feel she is too beautiful to play football. Hope will not be easily carried away by her male admirers.
She cnt get distractd by male admires, if sum1 lyk Francesca Ordega cn remain focused den she too cn do it

2 Likes

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Bowaley17(m): 12:44pm On May 30, 2015
Atleast a win against Sweden and Australia and luckily a draw against USA will see us through to the knockout stages. May God help our girls.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:11pm On May 30, 2015
Anyone have news about the friendly?
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 30, 2015
BascoVanVeli:
Anyone have news about the friendly?
It starts at 11pm Naija time
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Lilboots(m): 11:05pm On May 30, 2015
No Links? I am watching USA play Korea. 0-0 at half time. USA isnt as good as i thought they would be

http://cricfree.sx/watch/live/usa-vs-korea-republic-live-streaming
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Lilboots(m): 11:43pm On May 30, 2015
Super Falcons XI Vs Woodbridge FC: Whyte, Ebi, Ebere, Chukwunonye, Ohale, Ohadugha, Nku, Oparanozie, Nwabuoku, Asisat, Okobi,
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Lilboots(m): 11:59pm On May 30, 2015
Update: 21' Super Falcons 1-0 Woodbridge FC. Ngozi Okobi connects with Ebere Ngozi's cross from the left flank to give Falcons the lead.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (35) (Reply)

Mikel Obi , Alex Iwobi And William ‏react After Today's Match - Read / Nigeria Vs Swaziland : World Cup Qualifier 2 - 0 On 17th November 2015 / Eto’o Is The Father Of Erika Do Rosario Nieves, 22-year-old Spanish - Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.