Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,060 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (84046 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / 2015 Women's Afrobasket: D'Tigress On The March / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 10:34pm On May 20, 2015
CFCfan:

Nice. The ladies were also featured in a vine video posted on NFF's twitter handle.
Im very happy with the team bro. Youthful, fearless, and gutsy. Only thing lacking is quality friendlies, but we should get a taste of the level after they play Canada.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 10:38pm On May 20, 2015
olapluto:

Im very happy with the team bro. Youthful, fearless, and gutsy. Only thing lacking is quality friendlies, but we should get a taste of the level after they play Canada.
I like that too. It seems most of the media reports failed to include Uchechi's name in the list of 26.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 11:05pm On May 20, 2015
CFCfan:

I like that too. It seems most of the media reports failed to include Uchechi's name in the list of 26.
I am 95% sure that Uchechi has been dropped. Only the captain and Ordega are going to join in Canada. I think its enough risk having Ini and Courtney in the team already, same style as Uchechi.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 11:36pm On May 20, 2015
olapluto:

I am 95% sure that Uchechi has been dropped. Only the captain and Ordega are going to join in Canada. I think its enough risk having Ini and Courtney in the team already, same style as Uchechi.
Ok. But who is the 26th player? The lists only include 25 players.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 11:50pm On May 20, 2015
CFCfan:

Ok. But who is the 26th player? The lists only include 25 players.
I think there are 25 players. Nwabuoku was named twice by NFF.
BTW. USA beat Mexico 5-1 in a friendly. They seem to be good at set pieces, with Abby Wambach scoring a powerful header, and a penalty.
I hope Okon realises the stage is world cup, and not Rivers angel.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 12:03am On May 21, 2015
olapluto:

I think there are 25 players. Nwabuoku was named twice by NFF.
BTW. USA beat Mexico 5-1 in a friendly. They seem to be good at set pieces, with Abby Wambach scoring a powerful header, and a penalty.
I hope Okon realises the stage is world cup, and not Rivers angel.
I see.
Yeah, I watched highlights of the US friendly. The American wingers - Tobin Heath, Rapinoe, and Christen Press - should be caged be our fullbacks and DMs. Nwabuoku will have to mark out Carli Lloyd in midfield.

I think the two players that will be dropped are Sandra Chiichi, and one defender. 7 defenders should be adequate for the tourney.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 12:21am On May 21, 2015
CFCfan:

I see.
Yeah, I watched highlights of the US friendly. The American wingers - Tobin Heath, Rapinoe, and Christen Press - should be caged be our fullbacks and DMs. Nwabuoku will have to mark out Carli Lloyd in midfield.

I think the two players that will be dropped are Sandra Chiichi, and one defender. 7 defenders should be adequate for the tourney.
Actually, Perpetua Nkwocha landed with the team in Canada. Confirmed by one of the receiving party.

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 12:23am On May 21, 2015
Sandra ChiChi is a goalie right? We cannot have less than 3 goalies in the final team.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 4:34am On May 21, 2015
Seeing Perpetua there is so cool.....Coach Okon your head dey there jare!!

4th world cup loading....legend Perpetua!!

I think we got our facts mixed up CFCfan was right the list released by the NFF had Perpetua's name on it.

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 5:24am On May 21, 2015
Last training session before they left.

can u spot them out?

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 5:23pm On May 21, 2015
It is very good to note that Perpetua Nkwocha was included in the Nigerian Falcons squad for Canada 2015 World Cup. Therefore the likely standby players are Sandra Chi-Chi, Blessing Edoho and Loveth Ayila.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 7:13pm On May 21, 2015
The ladies

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 9:42pm On May 21, 2015
First Training in Toronto

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 10:18pm On May 21, 2015
Whyte looks pregnant

The ladies are looking nice in that outfit.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 10:30pm On May 21, 2015
CFCfan:
Whyte looks pregnant

The ladies are looking nice in that outfit.

grin grin grin grin grin

I think we must give it to Nike,they be making our ladies look dapper.. wink

in my opinion,Okon actually did well in his selection,you definitely cant please everyone.I would have loved to see Uchechi,but i think he wants to give Dike n Umotong exposure at this level,seeing that Uchechi has featured before.

Team is looking good,preparation hasnt been the best,but i am supporting them 100%...the midfield n attack looks pretty solid,still having doubts at the back though.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 10:43pm On May 21, 2015
^^
I like their camaraderie though. The togetherness ma propel them to the knockout rounds.

I recall last year's world cup where the supposed "whipping boys" of a goup - Costa Rica - won a tough-looking group comprising England, Italy, and Uruguay. The SF could get inspiration from the feat of the Costa Ricans.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 10:56pm On May 21, 2015
Our first 11 will look sharp,but i fear that we dont have like-for-like replacements,which could cost us dearly.If a player like Okobi picks up an injury or a suspension who can slot in for her,i dont even wanna think of Oshoala missing a crunch tie.

We seem to have a weakened bench somewhat,please correct me if i am wrong.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 1:40am On May 22, 2015
dodobytes:
Our first 11 will look sharp,but i fear that we dont have like-for-like replacements,which could cost us dearly.If a player like Okobi picks up an injury or a suspension who can slot in for her,i dont even wanna think of Oshoala missing a crunch tie.

We seem to have a weakened bench somewhat,please correct me if i am wrong.

It is hard to speculate at this moment since the Falcon’s coach has not penned the final list. However, Chinwendu Ihezuo can play as an attacking midfielder, a duty she performed admirably during the U-20 tournament. However I do believe that Falcons will miss a hard tackling midfielder such as Igbinovia.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 1:45am On May 22, 2015
well done girls ....we r. solidly behind you
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 2:18am On May 22, 2015
londongal03:
well done girls ....we r. solidly behind you
cool
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:43am On May 22, 2015
Falcons Upbeat Ahead World Cup.
Super Falcons are in high hopes ahead of the 2015 Fifa Women’s World Cup in Canada from June 06 – July 05.
Falcons landed in Toronto after five-hour transit of the Charles de Gaulle airport for connecting flight to their training tour venue.
The nation’s campaigners were welcomed upon arrival in Toronto by Nigeria Deputy High Commissioner, Charles Onianwa who charged the reigning African champions to make the nation proud.
“I must first and foremost welcome you to Canada because the tournament we are all looking forward to is a very important one.
“Last year, the Falconets did us proud here and now we have the Super Falcons, so expectations are high and we have no doubt that you are going to clinch the cup,” said Onianwa.
Falcons head coach, Edwin Okon said the side’s arrival heralds the coming of the champions.
“Our arrival is that of champions. We are ready and I look forward to the finals and getting the cup here in Canada,” said Okon.
Team captain, Evelyn Nwabuoku and Francisca Ordega who were already in Toronto received their teammates at the Novotel Hotel lodge. The team is expected to commence training on Thursday.
The African champions will campaign in Group D together with former champions, USA, Sweden and Australia.
Source: thenationonlineng.net>Home>sports>Sports
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by greatwaters: 7:41am On May 22, 2015
I thought the Falcons were supposed to play a friendly with Canada's NT. When is it? No one seems to be talking about it.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 8:34am On May 22, 2015
greatwaters:
I thought the Falcons were supposed to play a friendly with Canada's NT. When is it? No one seems to be talking about it.
On the 25th
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:21pm On May 22, 2015
American Website Alerts: Oshoala’s Greatest Young Talent To Watch At Canada 2015.
United States' football (soccer) top website, Soccer America has sensationally featured Nigeria's Asisat Oshola among their highly rated world women football superstars billed to set the 2015 women's World Cup in Canada aglow, Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports.
Soccer America on Thursday continued its countdown to the 2015 Women's World Cup with the 11th of their top 20 profiles of the women to watch in Canada.
The US soccer online publication monitored by Complet espoortsnigeria.com writes that Super Falcons striker Asisat Oshoala will be one of the stars to watch at the Women's World Cup this summer.
The website remarks: "Asisat Oshoala is being tipped as the greatest young female player to ever come out of Africa.
"Her transfer from Nigeria's top club, the Rivers Angels, to Liverpool Ladies for the 2015 Women’s Super League season was big news back home.
"A year after starring at the Under-20 Women's World Cup, Oshoala is back in Canada with the Super Falcons, who will face the USA in Group D (alongside Sweden and Australia)."
The website's praises for the MVP of the 2014 African Women's Championship reads further:
"She was named the top player at the 2014 U-20 Women's World Cup and led the tournament with seven goals in six games, including four goals in the 6-2 win over North Korea in the semi-finals."
The Liverpool striker jetted out with the Super Falcons on Tuesday night for Toronto Canada, via France where they are expected to play two test matches before the World Cup begins in June.
Source: www.completesportsnigeria.com/american-website-alerts-oshoalas-greatest-young-talent-to-watch-at-canada-2015/

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:37pm On May 22, 2015
Nigeria: Mbachu Reminds GEJ of AWC Promise
Super Falcons forward Stella Mbachu has pleaded with the incumbent president, Dr Goodluck Jonathan, to fulfill his promised grand reception for the side before leaving office on May 29.
The president promised to host the Super Falcons for emerging winners of the ninth Africa Women Championship (AWC) in Namibia.
The Falcons edged perennial rivals Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon 2-0 in the final to claim their seventh title of the biennial football showpiece at the Sam Nujoma Stadium in Windhoek, Namibia.
Seven months after the heroic performance and barely 10 days to the termination date of the current regime, the nation's heroines are yet to be received by the sitting president, Dr Jonathan.
Mbachu said it will be a huge discouragement and disincentive on the side's quest for honour at the upcoming FIFA Women's World Cup in Canada should Mr President leave office on May 29 without the promised reception seeing the light of the day.
"I just want to remind the president, Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, in case he has forgotten that he is yet to fulfill his promise to host us for winning the 9th Africa Women Championship in Namibia.
"I understand that efforts have been made in the past months to no avail to host us due to his tight schedules but the president would've etched his name in gold and in our minds by finding time to host us as a befitting parting gift.
"Failure to host us before quitting office on May 29 will be a discouragement and setback on the side's determination to excel at the World Cup in Canada.
"It'll further send a strong wrong signal to the side that no one can be held or trusted on his/her promises.
"I'm passionately begging the president to reconsider his stand to host the side as such act will go a long way to motivate the team at the World Cup," said the Rivers Angels winger and 300 level sociology student of University of Port Harcourt.
Falcons will compete for honour at the World Cup in Group D alongside former champions, USA, Sweden and Australia. Source: allafrica.com/stories/201505211566.html?viewall=1

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:01pm On May 22, 2015
Duru1:

It is hard to speculate at this moment since the Falcon’s coach has not penned the final list. However, Chinwendu Ihezuo can play as an attacking midfielder, a duty she performed admirably during the U-20 tournament. However I do believe that Falcons will miss a hard tackling midfielder such as Igbinovia.

O Igbinovia real better player! Okon has alot explanation to do o.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:05pm On May 22, 2015
Falcons will reach World Cup knockout stage - Uche Eucharia
The former Nigeria women coach, who led the country to the 2012 African Women Championship victory, insists coach Edwin Okon's ladies will survive the group stage in Canada.
Former Nigeria women senior national team coach Uche Eucharia is confident that the Super Falcons can qualify for the knockout stages of the 2015 Fifa Women’s World Cup in New Zealand. The reigning African queens have been placed in Group D against two-time world champions, the United States of America, 2007 runners-up Sweden and Australia in what has been tagged the ‘Group of Death’, but the ex-international thinks they can progress for the first time since 1999 banking on their wealth of experience.
“I can assure you that the Super Falcons will qualify from that group because we have come of age and there is no team in this world that is unbeatable,” Eucharia toldGoal.
“The Super Falcons have an array of experienced players and almost all of them have featured in one Fifa tournament or the other.
“I think we have experience, exposure on our side and players who are determined to make a namea for themselves. No doubt we will surely move to the next round of the tournament.”
The American ladies defeated Mexico 5-1 in one of their build up games for the competition but Eucharia feels coach Edwin Okon's team will bring down Jillian Ellis’s side when they meet on June 16 at the BC Place, Vancouver.
“Mexico is not a team to rate the US with, and as I have always said, every country in this world fears Nigeria because we boast of rugged players who can turn the table at any time,” she continued.
“I can bet you the [United States of America] are scared of us.
“I would advise them to remain focused as well as listen to advice and criticisms. The technical crew should take the relevant ones and shut their ears to the ones that are not important,” she concluded.
The Super Falcons began their training tour in Toronto on Thursday to perfect strategies towards a great outing at the World Cup as they chase their first ticket to the knockout stages since 1999.
Source: m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/11948752
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 1:48pm On May 22, 2015
greatwaters:

It will not be a match but scrimmage. I honestly believed that Nigeria’s preparation toward this world cup sucks as usual.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 1:51pm On May 22, 2015
Orkpekyandega:
Falcons will reach World Cup knockout stage - Uche Eucharia
The former Nigeria women coach, who led the country to the 2012 African Women Championship victory, insists coach Edwin Okon's ladies will survive the group stage in Canada.
Former Nigeria women senior national team coach Uche Eucharia is confident that the Super Falcons can qualify for the knockout stages of the 2015 Fifa Women’s World Cup in New Zealand. The reigning African queens have been placed in Group D against two-time world champions, the United States of America, 2007 runners-up Sweden and Australia in what has been tagged the ‘Group of Death’, but the ex-international thinks they can progress for the first time since 1999 banking on their wealth of experience.
“I can assure you that the Super Falcons will qualify from that group because we have come of age and there is no team in this world that is unbeatable,” Eucharia toldGoal.
“The Super Falcons have an array of experienced players and almost all of them have featured in one Fifa tournament or the other.
“I think we have experience, exposure on our side and players who are determined to make a namea for themselves. No doubt we will surely move to the next round of the tournament.”
The American ladies defeated Mexico 5-1 in one of their build up games for the competition but Eucharia feels coach Edwin Okon's team will bring down Jillian Ellis’s side when they meet on June 16 at the BC Place, Vancouver.
“Mexico is not a team to rate the US with, and as I have always said, every country in this world fears Nigeria because we boast of rugged players who can turn the table at any time,” she continued.
“I can bet you the [United States of America] are scared of us.
“I would advise them to remain focused as well as listen to advice and criticisms. The technical crew should take the relevant ones and shut their ears to the ones that are not important,” she concluded.
The Super Falcons began their training tour in Toronto on Thursday to perfect strategies towards a great outing at the World Cup as they chase their first ticket to the knockout stages since 1999.
Source: m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/11948752

Are you real on the bolded statement? Nigerians are full of it indeed.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:57pm On May 22, 2015
Duru1:

Are you real on the bolded statement? Nigerians are full of it indeed.

Bro I have to have confidence in the SF. And wish them good. However, this is the opinion of their former coach. I did not bold any thing.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by greatwaters: 2:35pm On May 22, 2015
Duru1:

It will not be a match but scrimmage. I honestly believed that Nigeria’s preparation toward this world cup sucks as usual.
U cant just write off the Falcons till we see their performance aginst Canada
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by greatwaters: 2:37pm On May 22, 2015
Duru1:

U cant just write off the Falcons till we see their performance aginst Canada. Dats only when we can know what to expect in the tournament proper

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (35) (Reply)

Mikel Obi , Alex Iwobi And William ‏react After Today's Match - Read / Nigeria Vs Swaziland : World Cup Qualifier 2 - 0 On 17th November 2015 / Eto’o Is The Father Of Erika Do Rosario Nieves, 22-year-old Spanish - Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.