Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,827 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (83916 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / 2015 Women's Afrobasket: D'Tigress On The March / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by humberjade: 12:51pm On May 10, 2015
CFCfan:

Yeah, she's been on fire in the English Southern League. And she even scored in a practice game against the Confluence Queens.

Okon is gonna have a hard time choosing amongst her, Uchechi Sunday, Ihezuo, and Courtney Dike for the remaining 1 or 2 slots in the attack. Already, the likes of Oshoala, Ordega, Oparanozie, and Esther Sunday are sure bankers for the 23-woman squad.

Unlike Ordega and Oparanozie, Esther hasn't improved much; she lacks d stamina to play at d biggest stage, she plays to d gallery a times, and her final pass/ cross is usually suspect. So I'll rather see another on-form striker take her place.

But if d coach wants to play from d wings, then Esther shld make it as a midfielder.

The coach shldn't have a tough time if he chooses his team based on current form, and d style of play he's working towards.

If I am d coach and I hv d luxury of choosing 5 strikers, I'll go with Oshoala, Ordega, Oparanozie and Ini Umotong.

As for d fifth slot, I'll give it to Uchechi because she's tall and strong.

Courtney Dike is a good player, but not strong enough to play against those huge defenders 4rm Sweden and USA (remember she struggled against bigger defenders at d under 20 World Cup). She's 4 d future, maybe d Olympics.

Ihezuo who couldn't score a goal at d last Under 17 World Cup? I don't see her making d list.

Mama Perpetual should also make it as a midfielder...when Okobi is getting it all wrong, bring mama on; she's got all those defence splitting passes in her feet...her deft touches are 2nd to non in dat team.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 3:03pm On May 10, 2015
make somebody nack humberjade one can of cold orijin,he has spoken well jare.. grin grin grin

you are seeing what i am "saw" in Mama Perpetua,we need that lady in that team she still has the magic juice.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by humberjade: 3:50pm On May 10, 2015
dodobytes:
make somebody nack humberjade one can of cold orijin,he has spoken well jare.. grin grin grin

you are seeing what i am "saw" in Mama Perpetua,we need that lady in that team she still has the magic juice.

Abi now... grin

I'll be surprised if she fails to make d final cut.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 10:52pm On May 10, 2015
humberjade:

Abi now... grin

I'll be surprised if she fails to make d final cut.

I made a case for d inclusion of perpetua earlier in this thread,and I strongly advocated dat she be given a midfield role,because mama has got ball sense for days (like my brothers in d hood will say)..lol

2 Likes

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 11:56pm On May 10, 2015
Esther Sunday will surely make the team, and she will be in the starting line up most times. I dont know what the fuss is about Ihezuo. Apart from her energy, she's pretty average as a striker.
The front 3 will almost always be Esther or Ordega, Oparanozie and oshoala.
Goalkeeper? Dede anyday over Whyte. Faith Ikidi should also be in the starting line up. She's the best defender in Swedish league. Same as Sarah Micheal, though she hasnt played for Nigeria in a long time
watch the final of the AWC and I believe the starting 11 is close to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX2GpmZ7Rt0
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 5:24pm On May 12, 2015
Superzee and Courtney Dike have arrived at the team's camp.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 12, 2015
olapluto:
Esther Sunday will surely make the team, and she will be in the starting line up most times. I dont know what the fuss is about Ihezuo. Apart from her energy, she's pretty average as a striker.
Goalkeeper? Dede anyday over Whyte. Faith Ikidi should also be in the starting line up. She's the best defender in Swedish league. Same as Sarah Micheal, though she hasnt played for Nigeria in a long time

I've always thought that Okon's decision to field Whyte over the past few months was only to give her some competitive experience, albeit against weaker African teams.
There were lots of occasions when she fumbled set-pieces which would have been punished by superior technical opposition.

I won't be surprised if Dede starts at the WC. Her relative calmness in goal and experience will be handy at the tourney.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 6:57pm On May 12, 2015
olapluto:

Esther Sunday may likely be included in d final squad.But her place on d bench is reserved.No chance in hell she will be starting ahead of d likes of Ordega n Umotong.

I personally feel in d interest of the team,Esther Sunday shld b dropped,we have better quality options.Much has been said already on this issue.

With concerns about our central defence,it is good to know dat we have Faith Ikidi to give Onome n Ohale a run for their money.

In other news ahead of d world cup I read dat a psychologist has been employed for d team.Good move by NFF,now let's get top friendly games for d girls.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 12, 2015
Hopefully, the 2 proposed friendlies against Canada and New Zealand will materialize. Ideally, at least one of the games should be played before Edwin Okon submits his final 23-woman list to FIFA.

It would be a good gauge of who would perform at the tourney. The good thing about Okon is that he probably knows 95% of the players that would make his WC squad. He is just trying to see which players can make the squad in the event of a serious injury to another player.

However, I still think Peter Dedevbo, the Falconets coach, should be drafted to the Falcons technical crew. He is a better tactician than Okon.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 8:37pm On May 12, 2015
dodobytes:

Esther Sunday may likely be included in d final squad.But her place on d bench is reserved.No chance in hell she will be starting ahead of d likes of Ordega n Umotong.

I personally feel in d interest of the team,Esther Sunday shld b dropped,we have better quality options.Much has been said already on this issue.

With concerns about our central defence,it is good to know dat we have Faith Ikidi to give Onome n Ohale a run for their money.

In other news ahead of d world cup I read dat a psychologist has been employed for d team.Good move by NFF,now let's get top friendly games for d girls.
You underestimate Esther Sunday a lot. Umotong is new, and believe me, Sunday is much better than her. Ordega was being benched for Sunday at the start of the AWC.
As for Ikidi, I believe she will make the team, though Ohale will most likely not be in the starting 11.
CFCfan:

I've always thought that Okon's decision to field Whyte over the past few months was only to give her some competitive experience, albeit against weaker African teams.
There were lots of occasions when she fumbled set-pieces which would have been punished by superior technical opposition.
I won't be surprised if Dede starts at the WC. Her relative calmness in goal and experience will be handy at the tourney.
Dede is miles ahead of Whyte in terms of calmness and even agility. Whyte cannot read the game properly.
Also agree that Okon is tactically poor. He has only one plan, and sticks to that for 90 minutes. Against Sweden, our girls will play with heart and zero tactical input from the bench.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 9:38pm On May 12, 2015
olapluto:

You underestimate Esther Sunday a lot. Umotong is new, and believe me, Sunday is much better than her. Ordega was being benched for Sunday at the start of the AWC.
As for Ikidi, I believe she will make the team, though Ohale will most likely not be in the starting 11.

Bro i aint underestimating Esther Sunday,she is a very average player and i dont know why we should keep faith with her when we have others that can get the job done.

Umotong is new,but is she better than Esther Sunday?..will u honestly drop Umotong and field Esther Sunday?

Esther Sunday failed to deliver at AWC and Ordega perpetually banished her to the bench,lets remove sentiments Esther Sunday cant measure up to Superzee,Oparanozie,Ordega,Uchechi,Umotong and Dike.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by DerideGull(m): 9:51pm On May 12, 2015
olapluto:

Chinwedu Ihezuo is an accomplished striker and attacking midfielder. Most teams Nigeria will face in the world cup have good size and skilled players. Ihezuo is needed in the midfield and can equally sub as a attacker.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by DerideGull(m): 9:54pm On May 12, 2015
humberjade:

Unlike Ordega and Oparanozie, Esther hasn't improved much; she lacks d stamina to play at d biggest stage, she plays to d gallery a times, and her final pass/ cross is usually suspect. So I'll rather see another on-form striker take her place.

But if d coach wants to play from d wings, then Esther shld make it as a midfielder.

The coach shldn't have a tough time if he chooses his team based on current form, and d style of play he's working towards.

If I am d coach and I hv d luxury of choosing 5 strikers, I'll go with Oshoala, Ordega, Oparanozie and Ini Umotong.

As for d fifth slot, I'll give it to Uchechi because she's tall and strong.

Courtney Dike is a good player, but not strong enough to play against those huge defenders 4rm Sweden and USA (remember she struggled against bigger defenders at d under 20 World Cup). She's 4 d future, maybe d Olympics.

Ihezuo who couldn't score a goal at d last Under 17 World Cup? I don't see her making d list.

Mama Perpetual should also make it as a midfielder...when Okobi is getting it all wrong, bring mama on; she's got all those defence splitting passes in her feet...her deft touches are 2nd to non in dat team.

Please can you give us your preferable Nigerian falcon squad?
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by DerideGull(m): 9:58pm On May 12, 2015
dodobytes:

The team must consider the age of the players too. This is a world cup so Nigeria should field the fittest players with skills. Faith Ikidi and Perpetua Nkwocha have been around for long. Although I had had both players as long as there is correct mixture of experience and youth.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 11:21pm On May 12, 2015
DerideGull:

The team must consider the age of the players too. This is a world cup so Nigeria should field the fittest players with skills. Faith Ikidi and Perpetua Nkwocha have been around for long. Although I had had both players as long as there is correct mixture of experience and youth.

you have spoken well..
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:57am On May 13, 2015
Canada 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup: NFF lines , Cameroon Tests for Falcons.
The Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, has lined up Grade A international friendly matches for the Super Falcons to test the team’s readiness for the upcoming FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada.
Daily Sun Sports gathered from SL10.ng that the reigning African Women football champions will face either the Black Queens of Ghana or the Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon or both of them in potential testy duels before departing for Canada.
The Edwin Okon-tutored Falcons were billed to clash with their Malian counterparts at the Abuja National Stadium last weekend in an Olympic Games qualifier, but the Mali withdrew from the race at the last minute.
And with no competitive game in sight to get the team in shape before the World Cup, the NFF, according to SL10.ng, reached out to Cameroon and Ghana Football Associations for possible friendly matches before they leave for their Canada camp.
Although both countries are yet to respond to the NFF’s request as at the time of filing this report, it is believed that the responses would be positive.
The Falcons are expected to leave for Canada in seven days and arrangements are almost concluded for them to play a few friendly matches in Canada against yet to be determined opponents, for their final preparation for the World Cup which kicks off next month.
Nigeria is drawn in a tough group that includes the USA, Sweden and North Korea.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 10:34am On May 13, 2015
This NFF is shaming itself. Plenty teams will jump at playing Nigeria. This doesnt really bother me though. Playing U23 men is enough physical test for the ladies. Ghana and Cameroon however offer no technical add up.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:23pm On May 13, 2015
Yo why is this tourney starting the same time as the under 20 it takes the spotlight off of the women they should have at least made it July august
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 1:01pm On May 13, 2015
BascoVanVeli:
Yo why is this tourney starting the same time as the under 20 it takes the spotlight off of the women they should have at least made it July august
FIFA is run by a man closer to his grave than to the future.

2 Likes

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 2:03pm On May 13, 2015
BascoVanVeli:
I actually scoffed when I saw that on fifa website. U-20 men's world cup is slated to end on the 20th of June while the women world cup starts 6th of June. Not an impressive one from fifa.

Anyways, i still think the women might get the spot-light you are angling for since their tourney will run into july a little after the U-20 men world cup must have ended.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 4:26pm On May 13, 2015
olapluto:

FIFA is run by a man closer to his grave than to the future.
Lmao. Blather is even sane compared to a certain candidate for FIFA presidency that is proposing to hold both the senior men's and women's world cups concurrently grin

The situation is similar to that of 2005, when the Confed cup and the U-20 WC were held simultaneously. Of course the former took most of the shine of the latter.

Next time, FIFA should only run the U-20 WC, say as from a week to the women's World Cup
final.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 4:43pm On May 13, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

For die hard soccer lovers its gonna b a period of soccer overdose...bring it on FIFA nothing do una.

Poor planning by FIFA shaa...
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by DerideGull(m): 5:02pm On May 13, 2015
terzurum5:
Canada 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup: NFF lines , Cameroon Tests for Falcons.
The Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, has lined up Grade A international friendly matches for the Super Falcons to test the team’s readiness for the upcoming FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada.
Daily Sun Sports gathered from SL10.ng that the reigning African Women football champions will face either the Black Queens of Ghana or the Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon or both of them in potential testy duels before departing for Canada.
The Edwin Okon-tutored Falcons were billed to clash with their Malian counterparts at the Abuja National Stadium last weekend in an Olympic Games qualifier, but the Mali withdrew from the race at the last minute.
And with no competitive game in sight to get the team in shape before the World Cup, the NFF, according to SL10.ng, reached out to Cameroon and Ghana Football Associations for possible friendly matches before they leave for their Canada camp.
Although both countries are yet to respond to the NFF’s request as at the time of filing this report, it is believed that the responses would be positive.
The Falcons are expected to leave for Canada in seven days and arrangements are almost concluded for them to play a few friendly matches in Canada against yet to be determined opponents, for their final preparation for the World Cup which kicks off next month.
Nigeria is drawn in a tough group that includes the USA, Sweden and North Korea.

Nigerians will never disappoint in their silly idiosyncrasy. Few days to the women World Cup tournament in Cananda yet the jackasses are still talking about preparatory match before leaving for Canada. Did these jokers consider the possibility of injuries and time it will take for such player to recover? I guess real countries are in the touch-up mode instead of the so-called stinking "Grade A international friendly matches" for Falcons. When will the goons in Nigeria learn a thing about human nature?

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 5:11pm On May 13, 2015
DerideGull:

Nigerians will never disappoint in their silly idiosyncrasy. Few days to the women World Cup tournament in Cananda yet the jackasses are still talking about preparatory match before leaving for Canada. Did these jokers consider the possibility of injuries and time it will take for such player to recover? I guess real countries are in the touch-up mode instead of the so-called stinking "Grade A international friendly matches" for Falcons. When will the goons in Nigeria learn a thing about human nature?

Bro..I understand the case you made about the girls picking up injuries,that is always a possibility in football d world over.

Truth b told I have nothing against NFA organising friendly matches if dey r truly grade A.I personally would love to have a glimpse of d complexion of the team,and the coaches can actually test players in positions,try out tactics and appraise their physical n mental conditioning.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by DerideGull(m): 5:15pm On May 13, 2015
dodobytes:

Bro..I understand the case you made about the girls picking up injuries,that is always a possibility in football d world over.

Truth b told I have nothing against NFA organising friendly matches if dey r truly grade A.I personally would love to have a glimpse of d complexion of the team,and the coaches can actually test players in positions,try out tactics and appraise their physical n mental conditioning.

The so-called grade A match would have been in the bags a month or two weeks ago since the team has been billed to play practice matches in Canada with teams also participating in the tourney.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 13, 2015
DerideGull:

The US played a friendly game against Ireland on Sunday. However, for the US, it's all about fine-tuning tactics for the main event as they've named their WC squad since last month.

I think the NFF should stick to the Canada and New Zealand friendlies, but Okon should mainly use the reserves to prosecute both games. Our star players could have 15-20 minute cameo appearances in order to avoid injuries.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by DerideGull(m): 5:29pm On May 13, 2015
CFCfan:

The US played a friendly game against Ireland on Sunday. However, for the US, it's all about fine-tuning tactics for the main event as they've named their WC squad since last month.

I think the NFF should stick to the Canada and New Zealand friendlies, but Okon should mainly use the reserves to prosecute both games. Our star players could have 15-20 minute cameo appearances in order to avoid injuries.

Bros I am glad you pointed out that USA has already named 23 player squad and now working on tactical nuances. On the other hand, Nigeria never had one preparatory match, has not named the squad and certainly will not have to work on the tactical aspect of the game. Yet they will expect to win a match by hopelessly hoping in God.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 13, 2015
DerideGull:

Bros I am glad you pointed out that USA has already named 23 player squad and now working on tactical nuances. On the other hand, Nigeria never had one preparatory match, has not named the squad and certainly will not have to work on the tactical aspect of the game. Yet they will expect to win a match by hopelessly hoping in God.
To be fair, the AAG qualifiers and the botched Olympic qualifiers made it difficult for the NFF to organize friendlies within the last 2 months.

If the Malians had communicated their withdrawal a lot earlier, who knows whether the FA would have scheduled friendlies last Saturday and this weekend?

The invitation of the Falcons to the Algarve cup, held earlier this year, would have helped the coaching crew in selecting the WC squad. But I suspect Okon already knows 16-17 players that would make his WC squad. He may only be seeking to give the fringe players a chance to show their stuff.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 5:59pm On May 13, 2015
CFCfan:

To be fair, the AAG qualifiers and the botched Olympic qualifiers made it difficult for the NFF to organize friendlies within the last 2 months.

If the Malians had communicated their withdrawal a lot earlier, who knows whether the FA would have scheduled friendlies last Saturday and this weekend?

The invitation of the Falcons to the Algarve cup, held earlier this year, would have helped the coaching crew in selecting the WC squad. But I suspect Okon already knows 16-17 players that would make his WC squad. He may only be seeking to give the fringe players a chance to show their stuff.

The team already selected itself,the core of the AWC winning team remains untouched.The midfield will b "copy n paste",no surprises.

Okon doesn't have a selection headache,he should just fit in Umotong,Uchechi and d likes and drop some AWC under performers.

And lastly,let him stop wasting everybodys time..OKON,RELEASE THE DAMN TEAM LIST!!
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by DerideGull(m): 6:57pm On May 13, 2015
CFCfan:

I guess Nigeria's Falcon team has already been assembled in the coach’s mind. No wonder Nigeria is always behind the curve of success if all their human endeavors were pre-determined by a drunken mind.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 9:13pm On May 13, 2015
DerideGull:

I guess Nigeria's Falcon team has already been assembled in the coach’s mind. No wonder Nigeria is always behind the curve of success if all their human endeavors were pre-determined by a drunken mind.

Guy,I had to read n re-read to understand ur point.Still can't grasp it quite clearly.

Firstly this team we talking about cruised to d cup at d AWC..qualified for d AAG,looking good for d Olympics and is looking like one of d best female teams we have assembled in a while.

Why shldnt d coach have his team already sorted,do u overhaul a winning team? You don't,u only tweak it for greater efficiency.

Nigeria is currently blazing in age grade competitions last time I checked,save for super eagles,our football is still respected.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:59am On May 14, 2015
Falcons Promised $250,000 World Cup Final Bonus.
Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) president Amaju Pinnick has promised African champions Super Falcons an additional $250,000 bonus if they reached the final of the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup in Canada.
Amaju made the pledge when he visited the team in company of NFF first vice-president Seyi Akinwunmi and League Management Company (LMC) chairman Shehu Dikko.
Amaju urged the team to believe in themselves as they have the quality to reach the final.
The Super Falcons have featured at six World Cup and their best performance was achieved in 1999 when they reached the quarterfinals in the United States of America.
Stand-in captain Osinachi Ohale pledged the Falcons “will go all the way in Canada."
The Falcons are set to fly to Toronto for a pre-World Cup training camp on Tuesday, May 19.
Nigeria are drawn against USA, Sweden and Australia in the first round of the World Cup in New Zealand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Swaziland : World Cup Qualifier 2 - 0 On 17th November 2015 / Mikel Obi , Alex Iwobi And William ‏react After Today's Match - Read / Eto’o Is The Father Of Erika Do Rosario Nieves, 22-year-old Spanish - Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.