Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,933 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (83921 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / 2015 Women's Afrobasket: D'Tigress On The March / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 15, 2015
In the US game, you're spot on with 3 central midfielders. That would restrict the US to wings. Any crosses from there should be comfortably dealt with by both Onome and Ohale/Ikidi.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 8:38pm On May 15, 2015
dodobytes:

Guy,I had to read n re-read to understand ur point.Still can't grasp it quite clearly.

Firstly this team we talking about cruised to d cup at d AWC..qualified for d AAG,looking good for d Olympics and is looking like one of d best female teams we have assembled in a while.

Why shldnt d coach have his team already sorted,do u overhaul a winning team? You don't,u only tweak it for greater efficiency.

Nigeria is currently blazing in age grade competitions last time I checked,save for super eagles,our football is still respected.

This sounds typically Africans as resting on their oars. The teams the Falcons played in AWC and AAG qualifier are no the teams the Falcons will meet at the world cup. In fact, most the teams willing demolish the Nigerian Falcons are not from the African continent. If I say that Nigerian team is predictable, it is not far from the truth.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 8:48pm On May 15, 2015
Duru1:

This sounds typically Africans as resting on their oars. The teams the Falcons played in AWC and AAG qualifier are no the teams the Falcons will meet at the world cup. In fact, most the teams willing demolish the Nigerian Falcons are not from the African continent. If I say that Nigerian team is predictable, it is not far from the truth.

My boss,i am still yet to get ur logic.I can close my eyes and tell you how team Barca,Bayern Munich and other successful teams line out week in week out.Does it make them weak?...when you have discovered a set of players who can interprete the handler's ideas on the field of play and get results,you stick with them.

Arjen Robben is a one dimensional player,and fairly predictable as he always beats you to his left side,but even at that world class defenders still find it hard to stop him.Predictability in itself isn't always a weakness.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 8:48pm On May 15, 2015
The American wingers - Rapinoe and Christen Press - prefer 'hugging' the touch line than cutting inside. So our full backs would have their full that day.
Nwabuoku would have to curtail the runs of Lauren Holiday in the midfield.
When the US have possession of the ball in the Falcons half, 3 players (Superzee, Umotong/Oparanozie, and Ordega) up front to utilize a potential counter-attack.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 8:49pm On May 15, 2015
CFCfan:
In the US game, you're spot on with 3 central midfielders. That would restrict the US to wings. Any crosses from there should be comfortably dealt with by both Onome and Ohale/Ikidi.

If the aforementioned lineup is billed against USAWNT, Nigeria will regret coming to Canada. Ayinde is weak and small. I do not know if Ofoegbu is even invited. However Nigerian Falcons have a big disconnect at the left-back position. Ikidi should be played in any back field except center-back against a team like the USAWNT.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 8:51pm On May 15, 2015
CFCfan:
The American wingers - Rapinoe and Christen Press - prefer 'hugging' the touch line than cutting inside. So our full backs would have their full that day.
Nwabuoku would have to curtail the runs of Lauren Holiday in the midfield.
When the US have possession of the ball in the Falcons half, 3 players (Superzee, Umotong/Oparanozie, and Ordega) up front to utilize a potential counter-attack.

Well spoken,i think Nwobuoku has her work cut out in that game,she would also help our full backs too when they go forward and fail to recover on time.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 8:54pm On May 15, 2015
Duru1:

If the aforementioned lineup is billed against USAWNT, Nigeria will regret coming to Canada. Ayinde is weak and small. I do not know if Ofoegbu is even invited. However Nigerian Falcons have a big disconnect at the left-back position. Ikidi should be played in any back field except center-back against a team like the USAWNT.

Bro,this thread is for brainstorming,with our available players make ur permutations/formations to stop the USAWNT on the day.I am waiting for your input,nobody claims to know it all.

Which other player in the midfield recycles the ball more than Ayinde?..i dont know what you mean by weak and small,because that girl has shown that she has got heart.Would you rather have Ikidi as a full-back?..thats a big no-no.Ikidi should be at the heart of that defence thats her natural position

If you were Okon will you tell the team to just give up without a fight?
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 8:57pm On May 15, 2015
Duru1:

Ikidi may be slower, but I disagree that the Ebere is a weak link at left-back. She's pretty solid.
I see the sense in playing Ikidi at centre-back. Her height (and that of Onome) should keep the 5'11" Abby Wambach in check in aerial duels. And Wambach isn't exactly the quickest centre forward in the women's game.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 9:21pm On May 15, 2015
CFCfan:

Ikidi may be slower, but I disagree that the Ebere is a weak link at left-back. She's pretty solid.
I see the sense in playing Ikidi at centre-back. Her height (and that of Onome) should keep the 5'11" Abby Wambach in check in aerial duels. And Wambach isn't exactly the quickest centre forward in the women's game.
The USA is not as fearsome as it was many years ago. Sweden is actually the strongest team in our group, and Im happy we play them first.
The starting 11 will def resemble that at the AWC.
I have my reservations about Ikidi's speed. Age is catching up with her, but defenders read games better at old age.
My back 4 will be Njoku, Ohale, Ebi, Ofoegbu
Midfield will be Okobi, Nku, nwabuoku
Forward is pretty fixed: Oshoala, Oparanozie and Esther or Ordega.
Nku starts over Ayinde because we need to get a defensive shape at the start. Against Australia, Ayinde can start ahead of Nku.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 9:35pm On May 15, 2015
Let us remember that the SF conceded only 2 goals (1 goal from open play) at the last World Cup.
The problem with the 2011 team was the almost non-existent link-up play between the midfield and the attack. Hopefully, with Okobi and Ayinde in the side, the midfield creativity will improve.

It looks like u guys rate Ofoegbu as the better full-back.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 12:53am On May 16, 2015
CFCfan:

Do you mean Ikidi listed at 5'-7" as having height? In fact, Ohale or Maryam Ibrahim, if she makes the team, should pair with Ebi at the center back. Ebi is not even athletic and may have issues checking USAWNT attackers. I may want Ikidi at the back line but center back.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 1:02am On May 16, 2015
dodobytes:

Bro,this thread is for brainstorming,with our available players make ur permutations/formations to stop the USAWNT on the day.I am waiting for your input,nobody claims to know it all.

Which other player in the midfield recycles the ball more than Ayinde?..i dont know what you mean by weak and small,because that girl has shown that she has got heart.Would you rather have Ikidi as a full-back?..thats a big no-no.Ikidi should be at the heart of that defence thats her natural position

If you were Okon will you tell the team to just give up without a fight?

The Nigerian Falcons handlers have not released the team squad for Canada 2015 World Cup and it will amount to waste of the time to postulate. However, I watched the matches Nigeria played during the U-20 tournament in Canada and Ayinde was not impressive. I had rather have Osaranoma Igbinovia in her place. I would also employ the services of Chinwendu Ihezuo at the midfield.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:57am On May 16, 2015
Anybody can go with Oshoala except that number 7 girl from the under 20s i still don't know why she kicked an already goal bound ball, she cost us that trophy
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 2:22am On May 16, 2015
BascoVanVeli:
Anybody can go with Oshoala except that number 7 girl from the under 20s i still don't know why she kicked an already goal bound ball, she cost us that trophy

The number 7 from U-20 is Loveth Ayila. In fact, I found her in the same picture as Halimat Ayinde.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:40am On May 17, 2015
FIFA Women W/Cup: Tandoh Predicts Good Outing for Falcons.
FORMERcaptain of defunct NEPA FC of Lagos, Francis Tandoh, has tipped the Super Falcons of Nigeria to go far in this year’s FIFA Women World Cup finals in Canada in June.
Speaking in Lagos, the former attacking midfielder expressed confidence that the Super Falcons would be one of two teams to emerge from their preliminary group games, pointing out that both U.S.A. Sweden and Australia were no more as strong as they used to be some years ago. “Though I expect them to face a tough time going through rough road because of the high contest at that level, yet Super Falcons will shock the world,” he said, adding,”
“Nigeria is a force to reckon with in women football, hence the country is highly rated by FIFA. Nigeria had come close to FIFA Women World Cup glory on many occasions only to be eluded by the element of luck. The Super Falcons showed good stuff in Germany in the 2010 final. Now that they have fresh blood, young players who proved themselves playing in the U-20 finals still in Canada, I expect them to do the same this year.”
Last year, the Falconets were on the ascendancy from the commencement of the championship held in Canada scoring the fastest goal and the second fastest goal in the history of the series.
They created another record by walloping Korea DPR team 6 – 2 in the semi final and then faced Germany in the final only to lose again by an odd goal.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 9:15pm On May 17, 2015
Nigeria would have been world champions in female football before now if such accomplishment depended on empty promises and silly postulations. Cameroon is already in Canada while Nigerians are still talking about organizing A-grade friendly match for the Falcons. I had to be very happy if Nigerian Falcons should emerge out of the group stage however I cannot knowingly bet my cent on such outcome.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 9:24pm On May 17, 2015
Duru1:
Nigeria would have been world champions in football before now if such accomplishment depended on empty promises and silly postulations. Cameroon is already in Canada while Nigerians are still talking about organizing A-grade friendly match for the Falcons. I should be very happy if Nigeria Falcons can make it out of the group stage however I cannot knowingly bet my cent on such outcome.
cry cry
God help us
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by olapluto(m): 11:37pm On May 17, 2015
Confirmed. Nigeria vs Canada (Closed door match) friendly on May 21st. super falcons are due to travel to Canada tomorrow (Tuesday), get few hours rest, then play Canada (in Toronto) on Thursday.
The match will most likely be the last match for the coaches to decide on the final list. I think final list must be submitted Friday.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:03am On May 18, 2015
CFCfan:
cry cry God help us
Amen o
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 1:40am On May 18, 2015
Nkwocha has scored 41 goals for the Super Falcons.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:21am On May 18, 2015
olapluto:
Confirmed. Nigeria vs Canada (Closed door match) friendly on May 21st. super falcons are due to travel to Canada tomorrow (Tuesday), get few hours rest, then play Canada (in Toronto) on Thursday.
The match will most likely be the last match for the coaches to decide on the final list. I think final list must be submitted Friday.

This is a very good development that will put our girls in a proper shape and further boost their confidence.
I have so much confidence in these girls. They will surely surpass all expectations.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:13am On May 18, 2015
Guest Blog: The 'Killer Instinct' in Asisat Oshoala.
Whenever the media celebrate Nigerian players, it gets into their head, they start bluffing when perfectly created by the media, girls will roll their eyes and flick their braids while the guys pierce their ears and paint their hair, sag their trousers, forgetting that sagging originally starts from prison.
No doubt a lot has been written about Asisat Lamina Oshoala AKA SuperZee or Seedorf whom I met physically for the first time this year at the National stadium in Abuja having admired her prowess from TV and Youtube.
As a Liverpool Football Club ardent Fan, I want to say this 20 year old striker is skillful, lucky and a record maker, being the first African player to ever play in the English women league. She is a goal net killer with her skill, talents and team spirit which I hope she can sustain and not get carried away by fame.
Her success story is a great one for women football in Africa, she has on several occasions professed her love and commitment to football and it apparently worked for her. Nightmare, tormentor and destroyer of defenders and goalkeepers.
Oshoala in her unique way knows how to always find the back of the net and she always smash it. She has built herself into a brand in the mode of a ferocious, furious and prolific striker within a short period of time. A made in Nigeria, conquering Europe.
A young achiever, savvy, strong, black and beautiful were the words amongst others to describe the African finest Female Footballer, she however was nominated for the inaugural BBC Women Footballer of the year.
Born and Bred in Lagos, and started playing football on the streets of Lagos, the highly talented 'tomboy' was discovered at an early age for her uniqueness, and was recently nominated for the prestigious BBC Womens footballer of the year, 2014 was indeed her year.
Having won the African Women's Footballer of the Year in 2014, African Women's Youth Player of the Year in 2014 and African Women's Championship, Golden ball and Golden boot at the FIFA U-20 Women's World in 2014, she will be the synosure of all eyes as she plans to rule the world.
Focus, concentration is all she needs I think she should take a clue from Cynthia Uwak who got distracted and fell out of her career, Perpetual Nkwocha is someone she should look up to as a model in the Falcons.
She needs to think of having kids and becoming a wife some day if she so wish, as someone who respect everyones' sexual orientation, I think Asisat may as well overcome lesbianism challenges which is the bane of women's football, however, the last thing she need is any form of distraction while planning for bigger years ahead.
Asisat said she dropped out of school for football, of course it can never be too late to enroll in some courses in UK, if there is no much time, why not grab an online course which is more flexible, she should make the money now, spend and also save for the raining days because nothing last forever.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:00am On May 18, 2015
Ordega's Goal Secures Victory For Washington Spirit.
Super Falcons forward, Francisca Ordega was on hand to help her team, Washington Spirit take all three points when she scored a 92nd minute goal in a National Women Soccer League (NWSL) match against Sky Blue FC at Maureen Hendricks Field on Saturday night after a twenty-five minute weather delay.
It looked as though Washington Spirit and Sky Blue FC will share points after both teams failed to convert chances that came their way but Nigeria international, Francisca Ordega made the most of an opportunity late in the match.
With just two minutes to stoppage time, Crystal Dunn benefited from a timely tackle in the midfield by team mate,Tori Huster which allowed the ball drop in her direction and Dunn sends a pass to Gboko born striker, Ordega who out smart her defender.
Ordega then rounded Sky Blue FC goal keeper, Brittany Cameron before releasing a volley that hit the back of the net in the 92nd minute to secure maximum point for the Spirit.
The Washington Spirit will play their next match away at Western New York Flash on Saturday May 23rd 2015.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:22pm On May 18, 2015
Falcons Get New Nike Kits In Toronto.

Super Falcons of Nigeria will take delivery of their new kits from Nike in Toronto, Canada, where they will train prior to the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup, officials said.
“We will ship most of their kits for the World Cup from our Memphis plant to Toronto,” disclosed Nike regional marketing director of Africa Tina Salminen.
“Everything has been worked out and we do not envisage any problems.”
The Women’s World Cup kicks off on June 6 and they are drawn against USA, Sweden and Australia.
The country’s U20, the Flying Eagles, have already received their own consignment of Nike kits for the World Cup in New Zealand.

1 Like

Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 3:33pm On May 18, 2015
Coach Okon should drop his team list jare,we already know about 85% of his team so why d drama.

If he jets out with all the invited players to Canada then he is contributing to corruption in this country and has a date with Buhari... grin
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 18, 2015
dodobytes:
Coach Okon should drop his team list jare,we already know about 85% of his team so why d drama.
If he jets out with all the invited players to Canada then he is contributing to corruption in this country and has a date with Buhari...
He maybe looking out for potential injuries to his established players, or finding out if the new invitees are good enough to displace his AWC squad.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 6:11pm On May 18, 2015
Orkpekyandega:
Guest Blog: The 'Killer Instinct' in Asisat Oshoala.
Whenever the media celebrate Nigerian players, it gets into their head, they start bluffing when perfectly created by the media, girls will roll their eyes and flick their braids while the guys pierce their ears and paint their hair, sag their trousers, forgetting that sagging originally starts from prison.
No doubt a lot has been written about Asisat Lamina Oshoala AKA SuperZee or Seedorf whom I met physically for the first time this year at the National stadium in Abuja having admired her prowess from TV and Youtube.
As a Liverpool Football Club ardent Fan, I want to say this 20 year old striker is skillful, lucky and a record maker, being the first African player to ever play in the English women league. She is a goal net killer with her skill, talents and team spirit which I hope she can sustain and not get carried away by fame.
Her success story is a great one for women football in Africa, she has on several occasions professed her love and commitment to football and it apparently worked for her. Nightmare, tormentor and destroyer of defenders and goalkeepers.
Oshoala in her unique way knows how to always find the back of the net and she always smash it. She has built herself into a brand in the mode of a ferocious, furious and prolific striker within a short period of time. A made in Nigeria, conquering Europe.
A young achiever, savvy, strong, black and beautiful were the words amongst others to describe the African finest Female Footballer, she however was nominated for the inaugural BBC Women Footballer of the year.
Born and Bred in Lagos, and started playing football on the streets of Lagos, the highly talented 'tomboy' was discovered at an early age for her uniqueness, and was recently nominated for the prestigious BBC Womens footballer of the year, 2014 was indeed her year.
Having won the African Women's Footballer of the Year in 2014, African Women's Youth Player of the Year in 2014 and African Women's Championship, Golden ball and Golden boot at the FIFA U-20 Women's World in 2014, she will be the synosure of all eyes as she plans to rule the world.
Focus, concentration is all she needs I think she should take a clue from Cynthia Uwak who got distracted and fell out of her career, Perpetual Nkwocha is someone she should look up to as a model in the Falcons.
She needs to think of having kids and becoming a wife some day if she so wish, as someone who respect everyones' sexual orientation, I think Asisat may as well overcome lesbianism challenges which is the bane of women's football, however, the last thing she need is any form of distraction while planning for bigger years ahead.
Asisat said she dropped out of school for football, of course it can never be too late to enroll in some courses in UK, if there is no much time, why not grab an online course which is more flexible, she should make the money now, spend and also save for the raining days because nothing last forever.

The part of the bolded in the above post is totally irresponsible and a shameful falsehood only capable of coming from deluded Nigerian.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by dodobytes: 7:18pm On May 18, 2015
Duru1:

The part of the bolded in the above post is totally irresponsible and a shameful falsehood only capable of coming from deluded Nigerian.

contribute to knowledge by setting the records straight...dont just criticise.

I also frown at dumping stuffs on d thread with no mention of the source of information.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:05pm On May 18, 2015
Why?

Duru1:

and how?
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:07pm On May 18, 2015
dodobytes:

I also frown at dumping stuffs on d thread with no mention of the source of information.
That is a good observation bro
Duly noted.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 11:04pm On May 18, 2015
terzurum5:
Why?

and how?

Eniola Aluko has been in English Women Super league before Asisat Oshoala was discovered at Rivers Angels. Also Chioma Ubogagu, although born in USA, has been playing in league when Asisat Oshoala was a local player. These two players have more goals to their credit than Oshoala. Also, IniObasi Umotong, has been playing in English Women FA League before Asisat Oshoala flew to Liverpool.
Re: Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup by Duru1(m): 11:11pm On May 18, 2015
dodobytes:

Bros criticism is part of human endeavors. It appears Nigerians do not take such human endeavor in a light note.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (35) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Swaziland : World Cup Qualifier 2 - 0 On 17th November 2015 / Mikel Obi , Alex Iwobi And William ‏react After Today's Match - Read / Eto’o Is The Father Of Erika Do Rosario Nieves, 22-year-old Spanish - Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.