Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,150 members, 7,953,556 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:56 PM

Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? (25693 Views)

Zimbabwean Woman Married To Another Woman For 3 Years Just Found Out (pic) / No Girl Should Be Married Before 17 –aisha Buhari / 10 Signs The Man Wooing You Has Another Woman/ May Be Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by 4LAMMY(m): 6:22pm On Apr 22, 2015
It's the kind of environment we live in, people place so much value on marital status like the whole world depend on it. It's just a status for heaven's sake. A lot of people are married and aren't happy in the marriage, I bet they wish they had remained single.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 6:45pm On Apr 22, 2015
LastProphet:

Anyway my London man, there is no small village in Isale Eko, its a massive urbanity down there

small section of a town is what a village is even if it has all the social amenities in the world.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Owliver(m): 6:55pm On Apr 22, 2015
Wow this thread is f^cking interesting. although many people derailed it but it was fun reading through the thread. Af for the topic hmmmm Let me keep my opinion to myself lolz grin *walks out of thread**
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by aderonila18: 7:12pm On Apr 22, 2015
So many small minded people. Chai

Respect has nothing to do with if you are married or single(for sensible people)

There are many single women that I respect just like there are many married women I respect( not the ones that are slaves in the name of marriage undecided)

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by aderonila18: 7:12pm On Apr 22, 2015
4LAMMY:
It's the kind of environment we live in, people place so much value on marital status like the whole world depend on it. It's just a status for heaven's sake. A lot of people are married and aren't happy in the marriage, I bet they wish they had remained single.

Very true
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Pamcrest(f): 7:46pm On Apr 22, 2015
Onyiridike:

My sister, I agree with you but know this:

1. Respect goes beyond greeting.

2. Some cultures confer on married women a lot of respect that single ladies will never get.

Examples:

1. A man cannot beat a married woman in some culture no matter her offence. However, a single lady can be beaten mercilessly.

2. It is a big taboo to harrass a married woman sexually. In fact you don't touch her or say certain things to her.

3. Married woman has a say in the affairs of her community. Nobody listens to a single lady.

4. Even in the church, married couple enjoy some special respect and treatment.

5. No right thinking person disrespects a mother (in marriage).

Oh really, in Africa....that's great. Which African culture incorporates points 1,2,3 above?

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by manny4life(m): 8:27pm On Apr 22, 2015
@Onyiridike,

I am disappointed.. With your self acclaimed intelligence and exposure, it's shocking to see how you reason. You argued that marriage is a command by God. Huh? A command to who? Men or women? Where did God command ALL women to get married? And also, makes it an abomination if they don't? After which you dropped the bombshell that a woman who has a child outside wedlock is irresponsible? Irresponsible because your culture says so? I ask because people have different cultures: some cultures encourage it, through one means or another. So by who's standard is it an irresponsible act? You even said the woman is not a MOTHER. Wonderful!

I would imagine you'd understand who a "MOTHER" is, if she isn't a mother, then what is she? Then you began to compare successful women: married vs unmarried, and asking who's got more respect? You're all over the place. Nne, I don't know what world you live in... Respect is reciprocal and it's earned. You don't get respect because you're married. For all I care, marriage is ONLY but a status, a mere appendage, which is admirable. To earn respect, there must be an underlying achievement not a status. Please shine your eyes wella... If your position is deemed intelligent, then our country Nigeria has a LONG WAY to go.

6 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 8:39pm On Apr 22, 2015
manny4life:
@Onyiridike,

I am disappointed.. With your self acclaimed intelligence and exposure, it's shocking to see how you reason. You argued that marriage is a command by God. Huh? A command to who? Men or women? Where did God command ALL women to get married? And also, makes it an abomination if they don't? After which you dropped the bombshell that a woman who has a child outside wedlock is irresponsible? Irresponsible because your culture says so? I ask because people have different cultures: some cultures encourage it, through one means or another. So by who's standard is it an irresponsible act? You even said the woman is not a MOTHER. Wonderful!

I would imagine you'd understand who a "MOTHER" is, if she isn't a mother, then what is she? Then you began to compare successful women: married vs unmarried, and asking who's got more respect? You're all over the place. Nne, I don't know what world you live in... Respect is reciprocal and it's earned. You don't get respect because you're married. For all I care, marriage is ONLY but a status, a mere appendage, which is admirable. To earn respect, there must be an underlying achievement not a status. Please shine your eyes wella... If your position is deemed intelligent, then our country Nigeria has a LONG WAY to go.

go and find out the meaning of the word "opinion".

Respect people's opinion because you can't force your opinion down my throat.

Meanwhile, don't quote me again.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by manny4life(m): 8:53pm On Apr 22, 2015
Onyiridike:

go and find out the meaning of the word "opinion".

Respect people's opinion because you can't force your opinion down my throat.

Meanwhile, don't quote me again.

Respect people's opinion? Lmao... You haven't done much of that on this thread, have you? cheesy cheesy

I called you out because you tried forcing you vain beliefs on folks that disagreed with your "opinion"... I am glad it's ONLY your opinion and thank goodness, your opinion is not generally accepted. On that note, next time you quote wrongly the Bible in particular, people like me will ALWAYS call you out. Don't state what the holy book did not say just to justify your "opinion". It's a SIN and not so "respectful" of the book you quote.

cool cool cool cool

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by tpiadotcom: 10:57pm On Apr 23, 2015
nlers and this matter of opinion.

gives rise to so many d.umb threads like this one.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ireneidiva(f): 4:57am On Apr 24, 2015
Edusouls:
eehh, then why did u mum get married..?
Out of choice! We all have unmarried relatives that we respect so don't be silly.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Edusouls(m): 11:45pm On May 09, 2015
ireneidiva:

Out of choice! We all have unmarried relatives that we respect so don't be silly.
continue to deceive ur self, you are very difficult and a proud woman, ur husband go hear am,
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Edusouls(m): 12:05am On May 10, 2015
Caracta:

I get really upset when I find men that are not smart at all. Not even a tiny bit.

Nobody condemned getting married. We are talking about respect here. You don't need to be married before you earn respect. Simple. Just like you just displayed. Same way someone can be married and extremely foolish.

If you are an example of a true Christian, I would rather remain the opposite. And what makes you think I'm single or searching? What makes you think I am against marriage?

Jeez!!! Common sense. It's not that hard.
stop covering up, u re single and searching, u re not married, Pretender, but u re an intelligent shir..
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Edusouls(m): 12:08am On May 10, 2015
TooNoisy:

You stupidity is legendary. You just hear names like Hilary Clinton and Oprah Winfrey and morons like you just type them. Oprah has no interest is politics and is worth 20 times Hilary Clinton. They are two different women who have chosen different paths and both are respected. Married or not.

Oya go and continue drinking your ogogoro.
u love money too much., and u will end up poor..
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Edusouls(m): 12:09am On May 10, 2015
stinggy:

She didn't marry to be respected, she married to procreate.
u re so wrong, why talk this way...
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Edusouls(m): 12:11am On May 10, 2015
Dheartless:

all this are broken-English

tell your daughters or sisters to accomplish good things ( big positions, wealth.......) , to be humble and also respect themselves.
only when respect will come.

also tell them that when they accomplish nothing except for marriage, even their very husband's will be the ones to lead the disrespect against them, they will become beggars in their own home.

and if you still think marriage is the only key to respect for women, no problem.
but just remember to tell them that if a man has not found them at marriageable age, they should start dressing like harlot to attract men and any type of man that comes their way they should just accept him or they should start begging men to marry them, because if they don't marry they can never become important and won't be respected.

cheers bro

is like ur sisters couldnt get married!
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by stinggy(m): 4:40am On May 10, 2015
Edusouls:
u re so wrong, why talk this way...
Then you must know her than me undecided
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by ireneidiva(f): 5:14am On May 10, 2015
Edusouls:
continue to deceive ur self, you are very difficult and a proud woman, ur husband go hear am,
I'm a difficult and proud woman because I refuse to think like you, huh? Smh
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by funlord(m): 4:53pm On May 10, 2015
NO! Now stop asking stupid questions!
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Dheartless: 5:10pm On May 10, 2015
Edusouls:
is like ur sisters couldnt get married!
on the contrary
I think you don't have a good discerning sense

and try to teach yourself and your sisters the right way, you/they may get close to the level of my sisters

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

~Sweet Mother: Say Something Nice To your Mum~ / Wife Gifts Her Husband A Bag Of Flour And Sugar On Valentine Day (video) / A Call To Change "My Children Will Not Suffer What I Suffered" Syndrome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.