Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? (25365 Views)

Zimbabwean Woman Married To Another Woman For 3 Years Just Found Out (pic) / No Girl Should Be Married Before 17 –aisha Buhari / 10 Signs The Man Wooing You Has Another Woman/ May Be Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by juman(m): 8:14am On Apr 22, 2015
Yes, mostly.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Bibol(f): 8:14am On Apr 22, 2015
jcmaiah:

But she need to answer Mrs to belong to certain groups.

Certain groups? Kindly expantiate
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by quivah(f): 8:17am On Apr 22, 2015
Onyiridike:

Do you call them mothers? ONLY those who were raped deserve to be called mothers.

Any woman who gives birth deliberately outside marriage is an irresponsible woman and NOT a mother.

Do you call every young man who goes about impregnating women outside marriage a father?

Motherhood goes beyond giving birth to a child.
yeah.. your marriage has given you the ultimate right to judge..

through rape, fornication or any other means.. a mother is : A (human) female who (a) parents a child or (b) gives birth to a baby... and they are celebrated in the same line as married mothers: p..
mother hood start from giving birth and goes beyond how the child came about.

a married woman is a WIFE not MOTHER.

yes he's a father so far, those ladies give birth..

8 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Caracta(f): 8:20am On Apr 22, 2015
M4gunners:
Accomplishment gose with the money you have.If you like read from Oxford university to Akmadu bello university without you making it in life, your studies are in vain dear.

Maybe I'm just different. I don't measure accomplishments by the amount of money. By your standard, armed robbers, fraudsters and corrupt politicians have a place in your respect frame.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Bonchila(m): 8:21am On Apr 22, 2015
Genevieve nnaji deep inside remains unhappy no matter how she pretend to be okay on pix n stuff. Back in her village she is termed 'Nwa mgboto' in their native mbaise. or better still "oto na ata nne ya".. There are amount of respect for both 'Nwaada' n 'nwunye anyi". so if husband no dey ur own siddon inside bedroom d pip for window when there is a gathering cos you dnt hv a group.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Bibol(f): 8:21am On Apr 22, 2015
Caracta:

Maybe I'm just different. I don't measure accomplishments by the amount of money. By your standard, armed robbers, fraudsters and corrupt politicians have a place in your respect frame.

Babe its been a while
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Migurl: 8:22am On Apr 22, 2015
Wow people really know how to blow matters out of proportion. The keyword here is RESPECT. And like I previously stated, it can be accorded to a person who has been admired for their achievement or actions. That being said, it cancels out the statement that proposes that a woman must be married to get respect because marriage is not the only thing that a woman can accomplish in her life time.

PS. I respect married women because it sure cannot be easy to co-exist with another human being for life (as it should be).
I respect Genevieve Nnaji because she became pregnant at a very young age and she didn't go for the easy option of termination or giving the baby away, I can imagine that it could not have been easy for her to live in Nigeria with all the stigma that would have been put on her, but she stood firm against all odds. Delivered her baby, and made sure she worked hard to feed her child and give her child the best. Today, her hardwork has paid off and she is respected also because she is a great actress and some people admire that achievement and respect her for it.
Let us understand what respect means and not be sentimental about it. RESPECT is what it is. Please do not add "salt and pepper".
Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by LastProphet: 8:28am On Apr 22, 2015
missdebs:
lets be realistic, a woman shuld not be defined by the word 'marriage' buh this is Africa and you might be miss world, buh the day you go to your village you will be asked, where is your husband

That is if u go to the village or even have one, dont assume everybody has a village - that is a common misconception of most nigerian peeps

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 8:30am On Apr 22, 2015
quivah:

yeah.. your marriage has given you the ultimate right to judge..

through rape, fornication or any other means.. a mother is : A (human) female who (a) parents a child or (b) gives birth to a baby... and they are celebrated in the same line as married mothers: p..
mother hood start from giving birth and goes beyond how the child came about.

a married woman is a WIFE not MOTHER.

yes he's a father so far, those ladies give birth..

If you didn't nuture up your child in a family setting then you are NOT a mother.

You are simply illogical. Go to motherless baby's home and tell me why those children are called motherless.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Ihuomadinihu: 8:41am On Apr 22, 2015
Certain women on this thread are simply backward. A child had outside the confines of marriage cannot and should not be thrown away. Any woman that has a child outside marriage is a Mother.
Some women find themselves in strange circumstances such as birthing a child out of rape or sexual violation. Are we going to crucify the innocent girl or call the innocent child a bastard?
My goodness!

6 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 8:48am On Apr 22, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Certain women on this thread are simply backward. A child had outside the confines of marriage cannot and should not be thrown away. Any woman that has a child outside marriage is a Mother.
Some women find themselves in strange circumstances such as birthing a child out of rape or sexual violation. Are we going to crucify the innocent girl or call the innocent child a bastard?
My goodness!

That has been sorted out if you actually read the 'certain women' comments.

Rape is not actually her fault.

We referred to women who deliberately refused to marry and went ahead and started having children.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Edusouls(m): 8:51am On Apr 22, 2015
emirp:
QUESTION: MUST A WOMAN GET MARRIED TO GAIN RESPECT?

Oya, let's get everyone's thoughts................

I'm listening!!!
what a stupid question? Why did ur mother marry, she should have been single for life, a woman is a totaly incomplete and faulty being that must ,i repeat must attach to a man to gain some level of stability, respect, worth, and happiness..an unmarried woman no matter how educated or rich, will end up unfilled and unhappy in life, this is natural laws,and they are just perfect and inevitable they guide God's creations and the entire universe.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 8:53am On Apr 22, 2015
LastProphet:

That is if u go to the village or even have one, dont assume everybody has a village - that is a common misconception of most nigerian peeps

Everybody that has a root has a village.

Your parents didn't fall from the sky.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Edusouls(m): 8:54am On Apr 22, 2015
Cutehector:
No..
hahaha then why did ur mother got married nahh? Maybe one of ur sister could not, thats why u re defending it..
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Edusouls(m): 8:59am On Apr 22, 2015
Dheartless:
NO
if you respect yourself you will be respected
if you do anyhow you see anyhow

respect is reciprocal
irrespective of your marital status.

but I tend to get the first intention of showing more respect to a married woman, until I see if she deserves it or not.
when she does not deserve it I treat her accordingly.

and when a single lady deserves my respect, I hold it not back but deliver unto her the respect she has earned

thank you
all these ones na long english, make ur daughter no marry nahh or ur sisters,persuade them to go and marry ooo b4 its too late.a woman can only be a bit worthy and respected if she called mrs.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 22, 2015
M
klark3:
Yes...

Nature made it so, a man can remain single & still earn respect, but a woman will be disregarded & unfulfilled... Have u ever asked urself why a woman answers d man's name after marriage.... Because a woman's crown is her husband, they are glorified slaves, they were gotten from just one rib of a man, yet u see dem dragging territories with men...

adam had already been surviving without eve, & would have continued to survive without her... But eve wouldn't have survived a day without adam.

No husband = no respect..

Most unmarried women are whores, dey have no self respect, & no sane man is willing to condone their nasty attitude. If u're a lady, single & u're above 30, sorry for u. But a man can be single & above 60, he will still earn respect...

Thank God am a man, not a glorified slave(woman)...

Goodness gracious me, I would like to think you are just trolling

I hope so, otherwise you are absolutely disgusting angry

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Edusouls(m): 9:05am On Apr 22, 2015
Caracta:
Depends on what the woman has achieved so far. I respect hardworking ladies with great accomplishments. Ladies that have achieved what older and married folks couldn't.

I don't care if you have a ring on your finger or not. Show me what you've got and earn my respect.
dont go and pray to ur God, change ur bad and western orientated views,ur filthy habits that chase men away from you and get married b4 its too late, all you modern women with destructive views about women,caused by education and feminism thats why most of u are out there lavishing in misery of being single and unhappy,covered in pretence...go and ask ur mother why she got married at the first place..
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Edusouls(m): 9:12am On Apr 22, 2015
stinggy:
Backward mentality angry

The mere fact that she picks her bills all by herself is enough a reason to respect her. cool
eehh, then why did u mum get married..?
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by goodgood2(m): 9:18am On Apr 22, 2015
Cutehector:
I believ respect comes from character, fame and wealth. If a woman has these, den she doesn't need to answr mrs to earn respect frm people
Do you live in Nigeria?
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:18am On Apr 22, 2015
Lol,it's even absurd for people to say they can't respect a single woman. Do you honestly think that all married women have happy marriages. Some of them are suffering and smiling just to be called a Mrs Somebody.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Pamcrest(f): 9:18am On Apr 22, 2015
Respect is not marital-status sensitive. Respect should be earned n it is reciprocal. But here in our neck of d woods, showing respect is a sign of good upbringing n it's compulsory to show respect to someone higher than u in age, in status, in position, etc. For us, if u see a single woman and a married one, d first inclination is to show respect to d married one because marriage confers a sense of responsibility on a woman. It doesn't mean single ladies are not worthy of respect, it's just our way of doing things here. Every woman notices d change once u change your marital status. But I reiterate respect is reciprocal. Show respect to everyone u meet n u will be respected in return.
My humble submission
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by princechurchill(m): 9:25am On Apr 22, 2015
the difference between Omotala,Ashwray rai and Genevieve is simple they are married women with kids,while the later was an irresponsible girl that got pregnanted at her early age and now refuse to marry, Genevieve can never be a role model to teenagers who wants to be like a true woman.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Dheartless: 9:32am On Apr 22, 2015
Edusouls:
all these ones na long english, make ur daughter no marry nahh or ur sisters,persuade them to go and marry ooo b4 its too late.a woman can only be a bit worthy and respected if she called mrs.
all this are broken-English

tell your daughters or sisters to accomplish good things ( big positions, wealth.......) , to be humble and also respect themselves.
only when respect will come.

also tell them that when they accomplish nothing except for marriage, even their very husband's will be the ones to lead the disrespect against them, they will become beggars in their own home.

and if you still think marriage is the only key to respect for women, no problem.
but just remember to tell them that if a man has not found them at marriageable age, they should start dressing like harlot to attract men and any type of man that comes their way they should just accept him or they should start begging men to marry them, because if they don't marry they can never become important and won't be respected.

cheers bro

5 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:32am On Apr 22, 2015
princechurchill:
the difference between Omotala,Ashwray rai and Genevieve is simple they are married women with kids,while the later was an irresponsible girl that got pregnanted at her early age and now refuse to marry, Genevieve can never be a role model to teenagers who wants to be like a true woman.
How did you know she was irresponsible? Where was it written that she was irresponsible? At a tender age, girls can easily fall into the hands of bad men who will only take advantage of their naivety. We should appalaud her for not aborting her child like other young girls.

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Edusouls(m): 9:41am On Apr 22, 2015
TooNoisy:
Silly topic.

What is this respect? Are you implying Oprah is not respected. Several single woman out there who have achieved a lot on their own without being married, and they are very much respected by all.

Bros, if you boss is a single woman, please don't respect her ok. Talk down on her and you will be where you end up!

Silly topic for unenlightened souls.
stay there and run ur dirty mouth, oprah upon all her riches she is still underrepected, hilary clinton runs for american president becos she is married and respected,oprah winfrey should come and contest nahh? You girls are deceived by feminism and western education so much that,u u live blindly, why did ur mum get married? U think u re more intelligent than her? Stay here and run mouth,till u get old, single and miserable..and its like u could not get a man into ur unhappy life,due to ur filthy karacters, so move fast a help urself b4 its too late..miss most educated girl in the world...

1 Like

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Migurl: 9:42am On Apr 22, 2015
[quote author=princechurchill post=32981774]the difference between Omotala,Ashwray rai and Genevieve is simple they are married women with kids,while the later was an irresponsible girl that got pregnanted at her early age and now refuse to marry, Genevieve can never be a role model to teenagers who wants to be like a true

Never judge a person my dear. I do not know the story behind her pregnancy at a tender age but I will not judge her because nobody is perfect. Most of us hide our imperfections from the world. Even though no teenager who wants to be a true woman will like her, I will. As a teenager I started to respect her when I heard of her story and how she kept that child (which a lot of men and women could not do). I am also certain that her daughter respects her for her strength.

3 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 9:43am On Apr 22, 2015
Pamcrest:
Respect is not marital-status sensitive. Respect should be earned n it is reciprocal. But here in our neck of d woods, showing respect is a sign of good upbringing n it's compulsory to show respect to someone higher than u in age, in status, in position, etc. For us, if u see a single woman and a married one, d first inclination is to show respect to d married one because marriage confers a sense of responsibility on a woman. It doesn't mean single ladies are not worthy of respect, it's just our way of doing things here. Every woman notices d change once u change your marital status. But I reiterate respect is reciprocal. Show respect to everyone u meet n u will be respected in return.
My humble submission

My sister, I agree with you but know this:

1. Respect goes beyond greeting.

2. Some cultures confer on married women a lot of respect that single ladies will never get.

Examples:

1. A man cannot beat a married woman in some culture no matter her offence. However, a single lady can be beaten mercilessly.

2. It is a big taboo to harrass a married woman sexually. In fact you don't touch her or say certain things to her.

3. Married woman has a say in the affairs of her community. Nobody listens to a single lady.

4. Even in the church, married couple enjoy some special respect and treatment.

5. No right thinking person disrespects a mother (in marriage).
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:45am On Apr 22, 2015
Bonchila:
Genevieve nnaji deep inside remains unhappy no matter how she pretend to be okay on pix n stuff. Back in her village she is termed 'Nwa mgboto' in their native mbaise. or better still "oto na ata nne ya".. There are amount of respect for both 'Nwaada' n 'nwunye anyi". so if husband no dey ur own siddon inside bedroom d pip for window when there is a gathering cos you dnt hv a group.
At the end of the day,Genevive does not care for you or your opinions. Do you think her marital status is deliberate and intentional?
If she has not found that special man willing to tolerate her and love her,does it make her less woman? What if the men going close to her are golddiggers and plagued with inferiority complex. Do you expect her to settle down with them because she wants to join Umuada group?
Why do we make it seem like an unmarried woman is responsible for her single status?
SMH.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by stinggy(m): 9:46am On Apr 22, 2015
Edusouls:
eehh, then why did u mum get married..?
She didn't marry to be respected, she married to procreate.
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Ihuomadinihu: 9:49am On Apr 22, 2015
Onyiridike:

My sister, I agree with you but know this:

1. Respect goes beyond greeting.

2. Some cultures confer on married women a lot of respect that single ladies will never get.

Examples:

1. A man cannot beat a married woman in some culture no matter her offence. However, a single lady can be beaten mercilessly.

2. It is a big taboo to harrass a married woman sexually. In fact you don't touch her or say certain things to her.

3. Married woman has a say in the affairs of her community. Nobody listens to a single lady.

4. Even in the church, married couple enjoy some special respect and treatment.

5. No right thinking person disrespects a mother (in marriage).
All the things you have listed here are for useless and irresponsible men. Which man in his senses would want to disrespect a woman regardless of her marital status. Haven't you heard of married women being assaulted by irresponsible men?
A gentleman knows he shouldn't hurt a single or married woman. Those reasons are insignificant.
Did you just write that nobody listens to single women?
Wrong! I have seen single women donate to and build communities.
Can someone like the former DG of SEC talk and people wouldn't listen? Lol.

8 Likes

Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by remirez07(m): 9:55am On Apr 22, 2015
Cutehector:
I believ respect comes from character, fame and wealth. If a woman has these, den she doesn't need to answr mrs to earn respect frm people
Re: Must A Woman Be Married To Get Respect? by Onyiridike(f): 9:58am On Apr 22, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

All the things you have listed here are for useless and irresponsible men. Which man in his senses would want to disrespect a woman regardless of her marital status. Haven't you heard of married women being assaulted by irresponsible men?
A gentleman knows he shouldn't hurt a single or married woman. Those reasons are insignificant.
Did you just write that nobody listens to single women?
Wrong! I have seen single women donate to and build communities.
Can someone like the former DG of SEC talk and people wouldn't listen? Lol.

What is your definition of respect?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Who Married 2 Wives In Order To Have A Male Child Now Has 6 Daughters. Photo / "I Prefer My Man Beating Me To Cheating On Me" - Nigerian Lady / The Most Suitable Job For A Married Woman?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.