Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,140 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! (23255 Views)

Female Jehovah's Witness Knocks At Man's House, He Opens The Door While Naked / What Death Looks Like. Though Alive, I Went There. / Diary Of A Jehovah's Witness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by johnw74: 1:39pm On May 01, 2015
http://www.jwfacts.com/

How 1919 is Derived

Portentous emphasis is placed on 1919, this being the year that Jesus is said to have chosen Watchtower and its Governing Body to represent him on earth. Yet, the minimal Scriptural backing Watchtower uses to support this year is both flimsy and illogical.
"Similarly, starting in 1919, Jehovah brought forth the seed of the woman as a spiritual nation." Revelation - It's Grand Climax p.184
"Jehovah has shown much compassion toward his remnant of spiritual Israel and their sheeplike companions. His eye has been upon them constantly since their spiritual deliverance in 1919." Watchtower 1994 Mar 1 p.17
How solid is the doctrine that supports this year?

Following are the steps used to arrive at 1919, based largely on Revelation 11. Each step is a failure in logic, as shown by bullet point. (Note that some of this reasoning changed in 2013, which will be discussed later.)
Continue reading...http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1919-derived.php

1 Like

Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by johnw74: 1:12am On May 02, 2015
http://www.jwfacts.com/

Governing Body

The Watchtower claims to structure its leadership hierarchy after a model set by a first century, Christian governing body. However, the term "governing body" does not appear in the New Testament. Neither does the concept of a small, centralised group of leaders.
Watchtower Jehovah's Witness Governing Body 2007
Governing Body 2007

First Century Governing Body?

Jehovah's Witnesses are strongly controlled by a central leadership, known as the Governing Body. They are said to be appointed by holy spirit, and pass on instructions from Jehovah and Jesus.

"However, the Governing Body are appointed through the holy spirit under the direction of Jehovah God and Jesus Christ." Watchtower 1990 Mar 15 p.18
"These overseers faithfully seek to apply instructions received from Jehovah God and Jesus Christ by means of the faithful and discreet slave and its Governing Body." Watchtower 1990 Mar 15 p.20
"Christ thus leads the congregation by means of the spirit-anointed "faithful and discreet slave" and its Governing Body." Examining the Scriptures Daily 2007 p.34
Continue reading...http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/governing-body.php

Below is Governing body 2007

1 Like

Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by johnw74: 6:05am On May 02, 2015
JMAN05:

Just ignore them with there lies.

The lies are yours,

"This culminated in 2012 with the case Candice Jane Doe vs Watchtower, with Watchtower losing a record judgement of $28 million dollars.",

read the article.

Watchtower Child Abuse Policies
http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/about-jwfacts.php
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by Deiok(m): 9:09pm On May 02, 2015
fellis:
I want to visit Igieduma....sad
Any Jehova witness on Nairaland willing to be my tour guide?
Is that their national headquarter here in nigeria, cause that place is realy big.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by honeychild(f): 7:39pm On May 03, 2015
fellis:
its in Edo state, JWs call it Bethel.
Its like a JW Mecca, very lovely place, neat, beautiful and serene, or at least that's how pple described it to me.
You need a JW member to accompany you if you want to visit. They'll have to act as your tourguide, you can't just walk in on your own.

Actually you can. The Bethel is open for tours to the public Monday to Friday
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by honeychild(f): 7:54pm On May 03, 2015
onila:
Jehovah Witness believe in the Trinity

"The doctrine of the Trinity — that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are each equally and eternally the one true God "

so how can you say undecided they dont see Jesus as God

they are not Jewish

No we don't.

For I will have you know that the head of every man is the Christ, in turn the head of the woman is the man, In turn the head of Christ is God.
1 Cor. 11:3

"You heard that I said to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I am." - Jesus John 14:28
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by honeychild(f): 8:19pm On May 03, 2015
paulGrundy:

^^ are these quotes correct? Yes or no?

note: quotes can be verified @ wol.jw.org or jw.org

If yes, (off-course its correct) then stop making excuses for the watchtower. Has a woman ever been an elder? Has a woman ever been a governing body member?

Keep on decieving yourself. Mtcheeew

Was a woman one of the apostles? Was a woman ever High Priestess in Israel? Was a woman ever used in writing any of the inspired books of the Bible?

You have left aside true doctrine and are now seeking out false teachers to "tickle your ears". That is why you now believe that women's liberation reaches the church.
2nd Tim 4:3,4
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by paulGrundy(m): 8:43pm On May 03, 2015
honeychild:

Was a woman one of the apostles? Was a woman ever High Priestess in Israel? Was a woman ever used in writing any of the inspired books of the Bible?

You have left aside true doctrine and are now seeking out false teachers to "tickle your ears". That is why you now believe that women's liberation reaches the church.

The bone of contention here is not if a woman has authority in the church or not. Its about how rikkodueosenile, subtely gives the wrong impression that the watchtower liberates woman in their rank and file. Which of course he is doing it to save face. I had to state two examples in order to remind him that they still hold conservative view of women.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by honeychild(f): 8:51pm On May 03, 2015
paulGrundy:

The bone of contention here is not if a woman has authority in the church or not. Its about how rikkodueosenile, subtely gives the wrong impression that the watchtower liberates woman in their rank and file. Which of course he is doing it to save face. I had to state two examples in order to remind him that they still hold conservative view of women.

The Bible holds a conservative view of women. We will not change it just to please modern society or to answer "progressive" church.

1 Like

Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by paulGrundy(m): 10:35pm On May 03, 2015
RikoduoSennin:

@bold Section :

Name one Serious JW you know who is a paedophile

Here is one : his profile is below, his case aired in prominent american networks, BBC, CNN and co.

J. Manuel Cano was a member of the Walkill Bethel Family for sixteen years. He was a Bethel Elder until the arrangement was discarded last year and simply remained an elder as were all elders at Bethel.   He was a book Study Conductor and assisted in the Kingdom Ministry School in the Newburg Spanish Congregation.  He was regarded as a very studious man and spiritual leader that was very active in the door to door work of Jehovah's Witnesses. Cano was arrested by police for passing out nude pictures of himself that were sexually suggestive to minors that included his telephone number. The enclosed news stories provide the details of the case

http://www.silentlambs.org/bethelitechildmolester.htm

JW is among the few organisation that disciples people for Fornication not to mention paedophilia

Very correct. smiley

But the problem is that they created a policy that covers up peadophilia in order to save their reputation.

Such DISHONEST does not merit any further response- continue with your misconceptions about JW. Carry on as you wish.

Thank you for derailing this thread! I'm out!

I think you are angry because he spoke negatively of the watchtower. All the points he made are factually and accurate.

Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by paulGrundy(m): 10:50pm On May 03, 2015
honeychild:

The Bible holds a conservative view of women. We will not change it just to please modern society or to answer "progressive" church.

The bible does not and can NEVER change. It is mans interprepation of Gods word that changes.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by Nobody: 6:28am On Jun 08, 2015
Deiok:

Is that their national headquarter here in nigeria, cause that place is realy big.

Its properly known as bethel, our branch office. Our headquarter is in New York, US. But we have branch offices in different countries.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by Nobody: 6:36am On Jun 08, 2015
honeychild:

Fine one. My observation is that people go to the extent of lying to themselves, while some now resort to popular beliefs to be accepted by the majority. They thus bury the truth so as to feel 'better'.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by Nobody: 6:44am On Jun 08, 2015
johnw74:

The lies are yours,

"This culminated in 2012 with the case Candice Jane Doe vs Watchtower, with Watchtower losing a record judgement of $28 million dollars.",

read the article.

Watchtower Child Abuse Policies
http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/about-jwfacts.php

When u quote a good reference material, we shall see it and then see what the bible says with regards to our policy. By then , we shall see if the bible's policy is a child abuse policy.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by Nobody: 8:52am On Jun 08, 2015
Jwfacts.com does not have the truth about JWs.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by ingenuity2014: 4:48pm On Jun 08, 2015
OP, I understand you perfectly. I have been to their meetings severally. Loved reading the Awake series, and still buy/recommend "Young People Ask, Questions that work" for some youths. But whenever I'm in their midst, I dont feel the presence of God, rather, I just feel i'm in the midst of nice religious people. This always take my mind to that scripture 2Tim3:5 ..."having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof". My problem with the organisation is that they underestimate the power of God. They dont believe in Christ's healing power, the gifts of the Holyspirit etc, and underrate the Holyspirit which they dont see as a person, despite the fact that whenever the Holyspirit was referred to in the bible. Christ used human qualifications, such as 'Him', 'Comforter', 'Helper', 'Teacher' etc. Rather, they say 'It' is a 'force'. That is a fundamental error, and you know what the bible says about one that underestimates or grieves the Holyspirit.

Also, Christ said it in several places that the Last day would be worse than what happened in Noah's days and to Sodom and Gomorrah, and specifically said that unbelievers will have a part in the lake that burneth with fire and brimstone which is the second death (Rev 21:8 ), yet they say there is no second death. That once one dies, if the person was a believer (i.e, Jehova's witness), then he would reign on earth/paradise after armageddon, and only 144 people will reign with Christ in heaven. Then for the unbelievers, nothing happens to them, just that they wont resurrect to reign on earth or heaven. That is another fundamental error. If Christ could destroy the whole world with flood then, is it now the world has turned upside down that he cant destroy the unbelievers with eternal damnation. My prayer is that God should help each and everyone of us to understand his word and at last, to make heaven; and that God should help my Jehovah witness' friends to see the Light themselves, cos no amount of preaching can change their belief, just God's divine help.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by johnw74: 6:20am On Jun 09, 2015
JMAN05:

jwfacts.com quote from jw articles,
but I agree with you and jwfacts.com, that those jw articles that jwfacts.com publish, are not the truth.
www.jwfacts.com

1 Like

Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by photographer: 9:18am On Jun 09, 2015
igeduma is in benin right its the Nigerian head quarters of JW. am you dont really need a witness to tour the place just go there and tell them at the gate that you want a tour of the place go in the morning hours so you will meet the time when the tour takes place you will also see other people they that came for tour.

it is not a sacred thing like u insinuated when you referd to it as JW mecca. its not so. a jw can stil attain spiritual growth without even going to bethel. so its just the Nigerian branch nothing more.

fellis:
its in Edo state, JWs call it Bethel.
Its like a JW Mecca, very lovely place, neat, beautiful and serene, or at least that's how pple described it to me.
You need a JW member to accompany you if you want to visit. They'll have to act as your tourguide, you can't just walk in on your own.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by dolphinheart(m): 10:57am On Jun 09, 2015
ingenuity2014:
OP, I understand you perfectly. I have been to their meetings severally. Loved reading the Awake series, and still buy/recommend "Young People Ask, Questions that work" for some youths. But whenever I'm in their midst, I dont feel the presence of God, rather, I just feel i'm in the midst of nice religious people. This always take my mind to that scripture 2Tim3:5 ..."having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof". My problem with the organisation is that they underestimate the power of God. They dont believe in Christ's healing power, the gifts of the Holyspirit etc, and underrate the Holyspirit which they dont see as a person, despite the fact that whenever the Holyspirit was referred to in the bible. Christ used human qualifications, such as 'Him', 'Comforter', 'Helper', 'Teacher' etc. Rather, they say 'It' is a 'force'. That is a fundamental error, and you know what the bible says about one that underestimates or grieves the Holyspirit.

Also, Christ said it in several places that the Last day would be worse than what happened in Noah's days and to Sodom and Gomorrah, and specifically said that unbelievers will have a part in the lake that burneth with fire and brimstone which is the second death (Rev 21:cool, yet they say there is no second death. That once one dies, if the person was a believer (i.e, Jehova's witness), then he would reign on earth/paradise after armageddon, and only 144 people will reign with Christ in heaven. Then for the unbelievers, nothing happens to them, just that they wont resurrect to reign on earth or heaven. That is another fundamental error. If Christ could destroy the whole world with flood then, is it now the world has turned upside down that he cant destroy the unbelievers with eternal damnation. My prayer is that God should help each and everyone of us to understand his word and at last, to make heaven; and that God should help my Jehovah witness' friends to see the Light themselves, cos no amount of preaching can change their belief, just God's divine help.

You have a wrong understanding of their believes leading to wrong statements .
Visit www.jw.org to fully understand what they believe in . Also have ur bible at hand to crosscheck .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by ingenuity2014: 11:32am On Jun 09, 2015
dolphinheart:

You have a wrong understanding of their believes leading to wrong statements .
Visit www.jw.org to fully understand what they believe in . Also have ur bible at hand to crosscheck .

Please state in clear terms (yes/no)
1) Do you believe that there is a lake that burneth with fire and brimstone meant for unbelievers after the end of time?
2) Do you believe that the holyspirit is not a force?
3) Then, the fact that you underrate my Jesus, and say that He is angel Michael. That is a terrible blasphemy. Forgetting that in Genesis, the Godhead said, "Let us make man in our own image". You say that the conversation was between God and the heavenly beings, but, remember that in John 1:1-3, it was written, "In the beginning was the Word(Jesus) and the Word was with God and the WORD WAS GOD, Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made." So, are you implying that Angel Michael created the world with God?

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free. I dont need to check www.jw.org cos I cant go checking/reading up all the doctrines in the world, that would only lead to vexation of my soul and deviation from the real truth. All I need to do is to study my bible, arm myself with the truth and if a particular doctrine/religion has a fundamental deviation from the truth, I move away from it.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by dolphinheart(m): 11:56am On Jun 09, 2015
ingenuity2014:

1) Do you believe that there is a lake that burneth with fire and brimstone meant for unbelievers after the end of time?
3) Then, the fact that you underrate my Jesus, and say that He is angel Michael. That is a terrible blasphemy. Forgetting that in Genesis, the Godhead said, "Let us make man in our own image". You say that the conversation was between God and the heavenly beings, but, remember that in John 1:1-3, it was written, "In the beginning was the Word(Jesus) and the Word was with God and the WORD WAS GOD, Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made." So, are you implying that Angel Michael created the world with God?

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free. I dont need to check www.jw.org cos I cant go checking/reading up all the doctrines in the world, that would only lead to vexation of my soul and deviation from the real truth. All I need to do is to study my bible, arm myself with the truth and if a particular doctrine/religion has a fundamental deviation from the truth, I move away from it.

I believe you should have asked , "what statement did I make concerning their doctrines that is wrong?." the issue is not what they believe in, but ur understanding of what they believe in which you wrongly understood in ur previous post.

The issue is not what they believe in , and I do not want to encourage that discussion on these thread as it will derail it. The op is talking about what one experiences when he/she attends thier gatherings and most have turned it to attacking what they believe in with their own wrong understanding of what they are really teaching.

U say you have the bible, use it to examine ur beliefs.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by ingenuity2014: 1:47pm On Jun 09, 2015
dolphinheart:

I believe you should have asked , "what statement did I make concerning their doctrines that is wrong?." the issue is not what they believe in, but ur understanding of what they believe in which you wrongly understood in ur previous post.

The issue is not what they believe in , and I do not want to encourage that discussion on these thread as it will derail it. The op is talking about what one experiences when he/she attends thier gatherings and most have turned it to attacking what they believe in with their own wrong understanding of what they are really teaching.

Dear Dolphinheart, be kind enough to say yes or no to my three questions. That's all I ask from you. Thanks.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by ingenuity2014: 1:49pm On Jun 09, 2015
dolphinheart:

Dear Dolphinheart, be kind enough to say yes or no to my three questions, that's how I would understand what statement I made concerning their doctrine that was wrong. Thanks.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jun 09, 2015
ingenuity2014:

Dear Dolphinheart, be kind enough to say yes or no to my three questions, that's how I would understand what statement I made concerning their doctrine that was wrong. Thanks.

Maybe u should form anither thread and invite him. It won't be good to derail this thread.

I agree with him, there are some things u stated about us that isn't true. Better still, go to wol.jw.org or www.jw.org and search about us using the search engine.

You can still invite a witness to have a one on one bible study about our beliefs. That environment is better for bible discussion than here where anyone can interfere with the discussion and derail the thread at will.

Another option, you can e-mail him or any witness here for a private bible discussion either thru whatsapp, video call, Facebook messenger etc. I think that would be more mature.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by paulGrundy(m): 2:16pm On Jun 09, 2015
ingenuity2014:

Also try and visit www.jwfacts.com

It'll expose more of the lies and misinformation in jw.org
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by dolphinheart(m): 2:17pm On Jun 09, 2015
ingenuity2014:

These has a simple solution , pls create a thread and invite me . Ill gladly use the scriptures to tell you what I believe in. I wunt do it on this thread.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by johnw74: 5:50am On Jun 11, 2015
ingenuity2014:

I'm not jw, but your three questions are easy to answer,

To question one, YES, it is Bibical
Rev_20:15 And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire.

To question two, The Holy Spirit is not just a force, He is powerful, yes, for He is God.

To question three, an angel didn't create the world, God did, and there are plenty of verses on that.
Here is verses on God and the Word, before even the creation of the World:

Pro 8:22 Jehovah possessed me from the beginning of His way, before His works of old.
Pro 8:23 I was anointed from everlasting, from the beginning, before the earth ever was.
Pro 8:24 When there were no depths, I was brought forth; when there were no springs heavy with water.
Pro 8:25 Before the mountains were settled, before the hills, I was brought forth.
Pro 8:26 before He had made the earth, or the fields or the highest part of the dust of the world.
Pro 8:27 When He prepared the heavens, I was there; when He set a circle upon the face of the deep;
Pro 8:28 when He set the clouds above; when He made the strong fountains of the deep;
Pro 8:29 when He gave to the sea its limit that the waters should not pass His command; when He appointed the foundations of the earth;
Pro 8:30 even I was a workman at His side; and I was daily His delight, rejoicing always before Him;

Jehovah posessed the Word and bought Him forth to create the World
He created all that exists, which includes angels.
Joh 1:3 All things came into being through Him, and without Him not even one thing came into being that has come into being.

Pro 8:22 Jehovah possessed me from the beginning
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, ...

The Word existed in Eternity with God, before there was anything but God.

1 Like

Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by paulGrundy(m): 11:54am On Jun 11, 2015
JMAN05:

Please kindly point out the lies about JWs in jwfacts.com.
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by atoleybaba(m): 9:10pm On Jun 11, 2015
since1914:

Though am not exactly very big on religion, but I must confess I was pleasantly surprised, the first time I attended a Jehova's Witness service in Scandicci, Florence. I first went there out of curiosity, after one of their members pestered me relentlessly. The services were very simple and short, and consisted mainly of a few prayers, short talk and hymns sang by every one. I had a nice experience there, and I met very nice people too, I also loved the environment, it had well manicured lawns with beautiful flowers. I ended up attending three more services. But I don't know if their services follow the same pattern here in Nigeria, considering that our approach to religion here is usually different.
they actually follow the same pattern all over the world be it the USA India Nigeria even to Madagascar and to all remote part of the world. There service are all short and simple making them united. A white can easily call a black from Africa his brother and even treat him like his blood more then his fellow white who is not a witness. The religion is unique
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by atoleybaba(m): 9:18pm On Jun 11, 2015
fellis:
I want to visit Igieduma....sad
Any Jehova witness on Nairaland willing to be my tour guide?
you could visit jw.org in that way u can make enquiry on how to visit bethel(igeduma) I bet u will av a good experience and see one of the most beautiful if not d most beautiful compound in Nigeria with great machines for printing of the magazines we place
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by atoleybaba(m): 9:27pm On Jun 11, 2015
johnw74:

Jesus was not liked because satan inspired people against Him, he still does.

Jw's are not liked because they are self righteous,
they even believe that they are saved by their own works.

Jesus is not liked because He made himself out to be God, which He is.

jw's are not liked because they make Him out to be "a god", and of course with
there only being one True God, then all others are false gods.

jw makes Jesus Christ out to be a false god.
sir that is a one big fallacy created by u...jw don't see Jesus has a false god,they see him as the king to God(his father who is greater than him) kingdom. They see Jesus has the one God,Jehovah the only true God sent to deliver mankind from Satan d devil....they are hated because they don't follow the world's thinking and they prefer to obey God Jehovah has ruler rather then men. That is why they are called Jehovah's Witnesses always ready to witness about Jehovah's good deeds in words and action even tho they are not perfect
Re: I Went To A Jehovah Witness Church! by atoleybaba(m): 10:00pm On Jun 11, 2015
To all jw in this thread...in as much as the fact DT u want to reply all this apostate trying to say wrong things bbawt your belief. I. Want u to remember what d bible says "time to speak...time to keep quiet" u av tried ur best trying to make them know they can only find the truth bawt us on jw.org. leave d rest to them what u should do now is to pray that God touches their heart and get rid of satan curtain that he has used to cloud their heart....remember this thread is bawt d op experience on is visit to our place of worship. All we need do is cont to encourage him and every other person who is interested to come and worship our grand creator, d one who causes to become, the merciful kind and loving God JehovahJehovah wink

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Have No Successor Yet ― Enoch Adeboye / 10 Reasons Why You Should Start Attending Sunday Schools This 2016 / Some Inspirational Bible Characters You Should Model Yourself After Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.