Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,908 members, 7,821,157 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (249031 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:26pm On Jul 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
World Cup Draw: Mutiu Warns Super Eagles
[/size]
Following Saturday’s FIFA World Cup draws, former Nigeria international, Mutiu Adepoju, has warned the Super Eagles not to get complacent when they meet either Swaziland or Djibouti.
Swaziland and Djibouti will square off against each other in the first round, with the winner to face the Eagles for a place in the group phase of the Russia 2018 qualifiers.
Speaking with comple tesportsnigeria.com, Adepoju stated that the team should focus on their preparation and be ready to take on which ever team emerges.
“It looks like an easy draw on paper, but no country is easy now,” he said. “We just need to focus on our own preparation and get ready for whoever we get to play.
“Let’s wait until both legs of the qualifiers have been played before we will know if it is indeed easy or not.”
He however expressed confidence in the ability of the new coaching crew to get the team set for the qualifier.
“The technical crew led by Sunday Oliseh know what they are supposed to do, they know the players to invite and how to prepare the team against either of this teams,” Adepoju told comple tesportsnigeria.com.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/world-cup-draw-mutiu-warns-super-eagles/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:18pm On Jul 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh amends Eagles selection process
[/size]

Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh
By Pius Ayinor
Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh, has amended his original stance that only Nigerian players in the top division clubs will be invited to the team during his tenure.
“We need those who are used to playing at top tempo to serve and play for Nigeria. That is why we took that decision. And of course this applies only to field players but doesn’t really apply to goalkeepers because goalkeepers are made of a different breed,” he said in a new Oliseh Tv video uploaded to YouTube on Monday and which he personally sent out via Twitter.
Oliseh’s statement at his unveiling on July 13 to the effect that “Only first division players are the ones that we find eligible to serve our country” generated a lot debate with many critics insisting that the policy could not work as many of the Nigerians abroad had dropped to lesser clubs.
“And this doesn’t also apply to players that are already in the national teams. By this I mean players that have excelled in the national U-17, U-20 or U-23 team as they are also eligible to play for the Super Eagles. We will also accept a player who has excelled for the Eagles in his career but who for no fault of his goes down to the second division with his club. We will keep monitoring such a player. If a club refuses to sell a player and he is tied down with them, then we will have to look in at those players and monitor their shape. We want only the best to play for Nigeria and that’s we have to keep to the standard.”
The former Eagles captain, like his predecessor Stephen Keshi did several times, explained that he was going to rebuild the national side from the scratch. He added that the first national camp would hold in August as he and his assistants continue the search for the best players across the world.
He said, “We have split the search into two phases of home-based and foreign-based players. And for the European beat, we have visited some players and contacted others by phone – those we feel can help the team as we prepare to face Tanzania.
“We will assemble by mid August and the training starts. It will end up with the trip to Tanzania.”
The coach also made reference to the 2018 World Cup qualifying match billed against Djibouti or Swaziland. He said that the schedule could make the job psychologically easier for the Eagles.
He said, “We are delighted to play away first to Djibouti or Swaziland as it will mean playing the last game at home in Nigeria. And so we are happy by that arrangement even though that won’t guarantee us qualification.”
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/oliseh-amends-eagles-selection-process/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:37pm On Jul 28, 2015
[size=14pt]
5 Awesome Facts About Nigerian Football
Biyi Akangbe
[/size]
1.Nigeria is the most successful nation in the FIFA U17 tournament's history, with four titles and three runner ups
2.The Super Falcons of Nigeria won the first seven African women’s championship (1991, 1995, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004 & 2006) and also won it in 2010 and 2014. They lifted the trophy nine times out of eleven appearances.
3.Nigeria and Liverpool forward Asisat Oshoala is the first footballer in the world to have been named the BBC Women's Footballer of the Year.
4.The Nigerian senior football team, Super Eagles, was originally called the Red Devils by the British who brought football to Nigeria. The name was then changed to the Super Eagles after the team won its first Nations Cup in 1980.
5.Nigeria has been the most consistent team in the African Cup of Nations, wining three wins and four runner-ups.

www.soccernet.com.ng/2015/07/5-awesome-facts-about-nigerian-football.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:50pm On Jul 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: If I Were Keshi, I Would Sue NFF for N10 Billion - Nnaji
[/size]
By David Ngobua
Former board member of the Nigeria Premier League, Barrister Ray Nnaji has supported former Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi's decision to sue the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, for N1billion for defamation.
Keshi is reported to have sued the NFF for N1billion for allegedly defaming his character in the process of sacking him.
Speaking to Daily Trust on Monday, the founder of now defunct Football Referees Association of Nigeria, FRAN, a parallel referee's body, said if he were Keshi he would have sued the NFF for at least N10 billion.
He said since the NFF did not treat the Keshi issue as a family affair, nobody should blame the former Super Eagles captain for taking the NFF to court.
"If they said anything defamatory, Keshi has the right to go to court. So if anybody is talking about family affair, he is not being fair to Keshi. If he keeps quiet, it is assumed that that was the correct position of things.
"He has the right to protect his image. It is expensive and you cannot allow somebody to just tarnish your image and get away with it.
"If I were him, I would ask for N10billion. If you ask for N1billion, court will not give you all, unless there was no defence. If there is defence, court will not give you all.
"Keshi should have asked for more so that by the time they measure his statue and the weight of what was said against him, it would have come to more than N1billion.
Nnaji said if it is eventually established that a defamatory statement was made, court does not take lightly issues of defamation and so Keshi will surely get judgement.
Nnaji said he is backing Keshi because as a lawyer, he knows that character is priceless and whoever defames another person's character should face the full weight of the law.
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201507281607.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:51pm On Jul 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Swaziland or Djibouti Could Shock Eagles - Sadi
[/size]
By Mansur Abubakar
Former Super Eagles midfielder Dahiru Sadi says Nigeria would be making a grave mistake to underrate either Swaziland or Djibouti who are drawn to face the three time African champions in the second round of the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
The 'Saudi 89' star in a chat with Daily Trust yesterday, added the players should assume the two minnow footballing countries are 'Brazil and Spain' if they are to avoid getting a catastrophic result in the tie.
"As we all know, football is known for unpredictable results, sometimes when you underrate this kind of teams you might be in for a shocker, so my advice is for Eagles is to assume Djibouti is Brazil while Swaziland is Spain, that way they'll be very focused for the game."
Meanwhile, World Cup 2010 host South Africa have been handed a tough draw in the second round as they clash with Angola, while African champions Cote D'Ivoire will face the winner between Liberia and Guinea Bissau. West African giants Ghana will take on the winner between Comoros Island and Lesotho.
The winners after the second round will be paired into five groups consisting of four countries each and they will face each other in a home and away ties from October 3, 2016 to November 14, 2017, with each group winner automatically qualifying to the 2018 Fifa World Cup in Russia.
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201507281387.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:55pm On Jul 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: 2018 W'cup a Must for Eagles - Green
[/size]
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) is determined to ensure that Super Eagles qualifies for the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
Shortly after the draws were conducted in Russai last Saturday, an executive committee member of the NFF, Chris Green, believes that Nigeria's absence in Russia would adversely affect the biggest football showpiece on earth.
Consequently, he promised that NFF would "do everything it takes" to guarantee Super Eagles qualification for the World Cup.
Nigeria will play the winner of the first round tie between Djibouti and Swaziland in the second round of qualifying in November. A win for Nigeria will see the Super Eagles progress to the third round which will consist of five groups of four teams each.
The five group winners automatically qualify for the 2018 World Cup and the NFF insists the three-time African champions would be among Africa's five flag bearers in Russia.
"A World Cup without Nigeria is not complete and as a federation, we will do everything it takes to see that the Super Eagles qualify for the tournament," Green was quoted to have said shortly after the draw.
According to him, Sunday Oliseh would be given every required support to guide the Eagles to a place at the finals.
He said: "We will continue to give the necessary support to (Sunday) Oliseh to enable him succeed. The Super Eagles owes Nigerians the obligation of playing well, winning matches and getting to play at every edition of the World Cup. "We want to ensure that Nigeria becomes a great force in international football again."
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201507280821.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:57pm On Jul 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
We’ll floor Keshi in court –NFF
[/size]
From ROMANUS UGWU, Abuja
TheOrganisation and Disciplinary Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has warned former Super Eagles head coach, Stephen Keshi to quickly withdraw the legal action he instituted against the federation or be ready for monumental disgrace, stating that the federation has incriminating evidences to floor him in court.
Reacting to the next line of action for the NFF, the Deputy Chairman of the Committee, Barrister Iyke Igbokwe stressed that Keshi’s advisers only want to extort money from him, stressing that he would resign as a lawyer if Keshi wins the case in court.
While insisting that Keshi would have sued the Cote d’Ivoire football federation for shortlisting wrongly or rightly among the 29 applicants for the then vacant job, Igbokwe said they have overwhelming evidence to win Keshi in court, warning: “We will meet Keshi in court.”
His words: “The Disciplinary Committee was very meticulous in handling the case. I can conveniently tell you that Keshi breached almost five to six clauses in his contract.
“Don’t forget that we intercepted his proceedings because we want to give him the opportunity to tackle the Ivorien FA for including his name among the applicants for the job and for us to travel to Cote d’Ivoire to confirm first hand if he actually applied for the job.
“But after the two weeks period, Keshi did not query the Ivoriens and of course, our Chairman, Barrister Green that went to Cote d’Ivoire, brought evidences, where Keshi along with other applicants were published.”
It was so bad that Keshi applied for the job on June 11, when Nigeria played Chad in Kaduna.
“Let me tell you confidently that the court will throw away the N1 billion compensation Keshi demanded from the federation. It is obvious that the people advising him to institute this litigation want to extort money from him. I want to warn Keshi that the court is for everybody not Keshi alone. The federation will be going to equity with clean hands as far as this case is concerned.
“We are going to match Keshi in court with the overwhelming materials in our possession. Barrister Green, Barr Majeoku and myself are battle ready for Keshi. I assure you that Keshi’s case is not going to go the way of Sylvanus Okpala because Okpala’s case was very clear.
“We are going to meet Keshi in court and if Keshi wins that case in court, I will resign as a lawyer and I am serious about it. I am telling you with all sense of sincerity that Keshi will not win the case. If he wants my advice, I would tell him to sue the Ivoirien FA instead of the NFF.
“It is not the federation that included his name in the list of applicants as number 20. We are going to meet him in court. I repeat that the advisers want to extort money from him,” he said.
[/b]

sunnewsonline.com/new/well-floor-keshi-in-court-nff/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:01pm On Jul 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
NFF officials not sincere – Keshi’s aide
[/size]

Keshi
By Kazeem Busari
A source close to former Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi, has revealed how the Nigeria Football Federation breached the contract it had with the former national team captain, insisting that the football body was not sincere in its relationship with the coach.
Keshi, who was dismissed by the NFF on July 5 after it was claimed that he applied for a vacant Ivory Coast coaching job, has written to the football body through his lawyer, demanding an apology and compensation for defamation of character.
The source told our correspondent on Monday that contrary to reports that the NFF got the letter on Friday, Keshi’s lawyer actually delivered the letter to the NFF on July 15, the day Sunday Oliseh was unveiled as replacement for Keshi.
“They are full of lies; very insincere people. We gave them the letter on the day they unveiled Oliseh but they didn’t respond,” the source, who did not want his name in print, said.
“Keshi was embarrassed and intimidated by the NFF; he was not given a fair hearing before he was dismissed for an offence he did not commit. He did not apply for the Ivory Coast job, his agent did that without informing him at that time.
“They said he invited a non-league player, but they forget that his job description stated that he could invite any player to the Super Eagles as long as he is a Nigerian. The player in question was a former Flying Eagles invitee and had played in Malta before returning to Nigeria.”
The source said Keshi’s lawyer had not decided whether to take the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sports or file it at a Nigerian court.
“The lawyer will decide on that soon. We ask for an apology and damages for defamation of Keshi’s character to the tune of N1bn,” he said.
“Keshi is an African legend who has the fourth highest honour that could be bestowed on any Nigerian; he has the highest honour a civilian could have in Togo; he won the AFCON as a player and as a coach, so he does not deserve the ill treatment meted out to him.”
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/nff-officials-not-sincere-keshis-aide/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:07pm On Jul 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
A world of pains, despair for ex-Eagles goalie, Fregene
[/size]

By Alexander Okere
Former goalkeeper Peter Fregene
ALEXANDER OKERE writes on the life of pain, poverty and dejection of a former Nigeria goalkeeper, Peter Fregene, who represented contry at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico and Libya ’82 Africa Cup of Nations
He was regarded as one of the safest hands in Nigeria’s football history and was nicknamed the Flying Cat by his colleagues and fans, due to his quality as a goalkeeper when he manned the post for the Green Eagles in the late 1960s, 70s and early 1980s. But that Flying Cat, Peter Fregene, has become a shadow of himself and may be living his proverbial ‘ninth life’.
Fregene started his football career with Leventis Football Club and ECN, after winning the Mar Anthony Gold Cup with the Midwest team in the 1960s. But he began his professional career and came into limelight when he joined the national team as the first-choice goalkeeper and participated in the 1968 Olympics in Mexico.
He featured in the national team till 1971 and later joined Stationery Stores of Lagos before he was recalled in 1982 for the Africa Cup of Nations.
Fregene, now 68, revealed with despair on his sick bed, which he had been pinned to since he suffered a stroke five years ago, how his passion and joy were cut short and replaced with unending pain by the seemingly mysterious sickness.
He said, “I did not have any accident. In October, 2002, one of my cousins had a similar problem so I decided to bring him in. Some people asked why I took responsibility of him, since they perceived him as not being a good man but I decided to give him a chance. During the period in which I nursed him, I took him to the bathroom, bathed him and brought him back to the room where he was staying then I went in to take my bath. But after my bath, I realised I could not come out of the bathroom.
“When I called out to my wife for help, she initially thought I was joking. But when she saw that I really could not move my legs, she aided me to the sitting room. I was taken to Aragba, a village in Delta, and later moved to the University College Hospital, Ibadan, but its workers were on strike. One Dr. Griffield, who was a consultant at the hospital, took me to his clinic. However, after spending seven months in the clinic, undergoing several scans, I was admitted to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Edo State, based on the response to a letter written by my daughter to the Delta State Government.”
But despite several interventions by well-meaning Nigerians, including the immediate past Governor of Lagos State, Babatunde Fashola, whom he said had sponsored a surgical operation for a diagnosed spinal cord injury in 2009, he has remained paralysed from the waist to his feet, and bedridden ever since.
He said that he feels recurring “peppery sensation” in his legs and back after a fall that caused one of his ribs to protrude from his stomach. He also experiences difficulty in breathing, speaking and excretion.
He said, “Governor Fashola, being a man who has the good spirit and passion for sports, instructed that I should be taken to Lagos. I was taken straight to Reddington Hospital, Victoria Island, where they diagnosed that my spinal cord was broken and I did a major operation. I was later placed in intensive care in his guest house where I was attended to by nurses and physiotherapists, from February to October 2009.
“Although I was not better after the surgery, I was just discharged by one Dr. Aleshinloye, who was the Chief Medical Director then, with many drugs that I could not afford. When I asked them to allow me to thank the Governor for his hospitality, he refused, saying that he would relay the message to him. But Segun Odegbami came with the doctor and gave me N500,000 and that was all.”
Although Fregene featured in one of the episodes of the Who Wants to be a Millionaire television game show, he only managed to win a N500,000 prize on compassionate ground, which he said was spent on the payment of huge debts and medical bills.
[/b]

Read more.........
www.punchng.com/sports/a-world-of-pains-despair-for-ex-eagles-goalie-fregene/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:53am On Jul 29, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Champions League: Kehinde Fatai outshines Ahmed Musa
[/size]

Kehinde Fatai scored for Czech club at CSKA Moscow in Tuesday's 2-2 draw in the Champions League.

Lesser known Nigeria striker Kehinde Fatai scored to outshine compatriot Ahmed Musa in a UEFA Champions League third qualifying round tie Tuesday.
Ahmed Musa leads Nigeria stars in Champions League
Fatai’s Czech club Sparta Prague must now fancy their chances to advancing to the group stage of the Champions League after they forced their hosts to a 2-2 draw inside Arena Khimki.
CSKA took a 14th minute lead, before former Nigeria U20 and U23 striker Fatai netted the equaliser a minute after.
Sparta Prague were the more daring, recording five shots on target against none by the home team and played two corners, while CSKA managed only one.
Fatai was then replaced in the 57thminute possibly to ensure he was sent off after he was booked in first half stoppage time.
Super Eagles star Ahmed Musa played the entire duration of the clash.
Both players started their careers for the now defunct JUTH FC of Jos.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/555240/Champions-League-Kehinde-Fatai-outshines-Ahmed-Musa
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:55am On Jul 29, 2015
[size=14pt]
Emenike posts losing debut for Al Ain
[/size]

Al Ain new star Emenike.

Nigeria international striker Emmanuel Emenike fired blanks on a losing debut for United Arab Emirates club Al Ain on Tuesday.
Al Ain lost 1-0 to Uzbek Locomotiv in a pre-season game in Austria.
Emenike played the first 45 minutes of the game alongside Ryan Babel, but could not get a goal for his team.
The former Spartak Moscow of Russia forward is on a year’s loan to the Dubai-based team from Turkish club Fenerbahce
He was a direct replacement for Ghana skipper Asamoah Gyan.

africanfootball.com/news/555232/Emenike-posts-losing-debut-for-Al-Ain
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Kayode satisfied with winning Austria Wien start
[/size]

Kayode (right) off to winning start in Austria.

Austria Wien striker Olanrewaju Kayode has told AfricanFootball.com he is satisfied to be part of his team's 2-0 win in the opening game of the season at Wolfsberger AC at the weekend.
"I am so delighted with my performance in the league opener and that of the entire team,” Kayode told AfricanFootball.com
“I didn't feel bad not getting a goal on my league debut, but I am happy to have contributed well to the victory. I was fouled for the penalty which was converted for our first goal.
“My goals will surely come without stress."
Kayode was involved in his team’s opening goal in the 37th minute when he was brought down by the opposing goalkeeper for the penalty that was converted by Alexander Gorgon.
He was also denied a goal by the goalkeeper in the 88th minute
By Olusola Alao
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/555102/Kayode-satisfied-with-winning-Austria-Wien-start
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:03pm On Jul 30, 2015
[size=14pt]
Moses scores again
[/size]
For the second straight pre – season game, Chelsea ran out winners on penalties against Barcelona after normal time ended 2 – 2 in Washington DC.
As per team news, there was no place in the starting XI for the four Nigerian players that travelled with the squad to North America, however, Mikel and Moses were introduced on the hour mark, replacing Matic and Fabregas respectively.
Moses was a handful for the Barcelona defenders, with several runs and crosses from the left wing but his offensive partners Remy and Willian failed to convert.
The winger capped off a fine performance by scoring from the spot to give Chelsea a 2 – 1 lead after Barcelona’s Halilovic had missed while attempting a panenka.
Both Mikel and Moses have featured in all three games played by Chelsea in the pre – season so far.

thenationonlineng.net/moses-scores-again/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:04pm On Jul 30, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ibe better than Sterling -Liverpool legend
[/size]
When a Liverpool legend like Mark Lawrenson speaks then it is worth listening and he rates Jordan Ibe as a greater talent than Raheem Sterling.
Lawrenson suggests that Liverpool youngster Jordon Ibe may even be a greater talent than the recently departed Raheem Sterling who has joined Manchester City.
In his column for theLiverpool Echo, Lawrenson said: “Jordon Ibe’s impressive form this summer has prompted some fans to suggest Liverpool should be happy in selling Raheem Sterling because Ibe is a better player.
“Sadly, such matters don’t work like that. But I do feel as though Ibe has the greater ability. He has the capacity to beat a man in a short space which, for me, Sterling was unable to do on a regular basis.
“Sterling didn’t have a ‘trick’ whereas Ibe has a few, most notably his ability to cut inside off the flank. As a winger, that quality can’t be overstated enough. It’s massive.
“Young players who grow up as wingers generally learn how to take players on down the outside and get to the byline. The ability to also beat a man coming inside and play a pass or shot is more difficult.
“Simply remember the way he announced himself last season in the Goodison derby by cutting inside off the right wing and then smashing a blistering shot against the woodwork.
“Look, I’m not saying he’s the new John Barnes. Far from it. But I can see a sameness in terms of their physicality. And if he ends up being half the player, then Liverpool will have a real success on their hands.
You have to think Ibe’s going to start the season. And that puts the onus on him to help provide service for Christian Benteke, who is also likely to be first choice.”
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/ibe-better-than-sterling-liverpool-legend/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:07pm On Jul 30, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh insists on selection policy
[/size]
Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh, insisted he has not backtracked on his promise of selecting only Nigerian footballers plying their trade in first division clubs, for the Super Eagles.
Reports in the media on Tuesday had indicated that the coach had made a U-turn from his initial pledge, but the trainers dismissed the insinuation as untrue.
“Only 1st Division Players are eligible to play for the Super Eagles. Only exceptions (are) U23, U20 players (and) Goalkeepers! No U turn as some claim!,” supersport.com quoted the ex-Super Eagles captain as saying on his Twitter handle – @SundayOOliseh.
He then went on to post a video on his timeline noting that, “This Video was made just for you my dear followers to avoid people misquoting and you getting authentic Information.”
In the video, Oliseh revealed that preparations are in top gear for the upcoming World Cup and Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
“At the moment, we are assembling a team, in fact we are trying to start up from the scratch.
“And in getting the players that we think are the best in playing the style that we want to play, we have split our search (for such players) into two phases.
“The (two phases include that of) the home-based (players) and (that of) the foreign-based (players).
“At the moment, we have visited some players at their clubs and even watched them play.
“We have also made contact with several of the potential players that we hope to assemble as we play out first AFCON qualifying game against Tanzania in Tanzania,” he said.
He also added that training for the game against the Taifa Stars will commence in August.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/oliseh-insists-on-selection-policy/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:29pm On Aug 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AGALI REVEALS: Don’t drop Emenike
[/size]
Ex-international Victor Agali says Emmanuel Emenike is still reliable, insisting he should not be thrown out of the senior national team.
The 28-year-old forward was shipped to United Arab Emirates’ Pro League side Al-Ain on loan until the end of the season by Fenerbahçe.
With new Eagles’ handler, Sunday Oliseh hoping to rebuild the national team to a formidable force again, the striker famous for his aerial prowess noted that the ex-Spartak Moscow man still has a lot to offer the national team despite barrage of criticisms that greeted his transfer to Al Zaeem.
“He has made a move which is best to him, and if he still has the interest of playing for the Super Eagles, I think he should be given a chance because he has done tremendously well for [Nigeria] in the past,” Agali toldGoal.
“Aside from this, he is still within the age range and his football is still okay, so I don’t see any reason why he should be shut out of the senior national team despite his move to the Emirates.
“Ghana for instance boasts of Asamoah Gyan who played at the Emirates for over two years and still an active member of theBlack Stars.”
However, he noted that the move would not help improve his game owing to the kind of teams he would be playing against.
“Individually, we have our style and target,” he continued.
“I don’t know what he is aiming at. In my playing days, my target was to build on my profile and to play regularly in a competitive league. Maybe he has chosen otherwise and I know that will definitely affect his football because he would not be playing against quality oppositions and that won’t improve his game,” he concluded.
Emenike made 27 appearances with four goals for the Yellow Canaries last season but is now looking for more first-team experience with the Hazza Bin Zayed Stadium lords.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/agali-reveals-dont-drop-emenike/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:29pm On Aug 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh will succeed with Eagles – Peterside
[/size]
Former Nigeria goalkeeper, Idah Peterside, believes Super Eagles manager, Sunday Oliseh, will succeed in his latest assignment “because he’s a very intelligent man.”
Peterside believes the ex-Juventus midfielder will not fail as his cerebral disposition puts him in good stead to become a successful national team coach.
“Sunny (Oliseh) will do well because he’s an intelligent man.
“We have always had coaches that coach football but have hardly ever had intelligent people that read the game,” Peterside told supersport.com.
The Supersport pundit added that “the game has changed” with coaches in the ilk of Oliseh required in the national team set up.
“Football has changed. People like (Jose) Mourinho did not play football but they are successful coaches because they are extremely intelligent.
“Most coaches collapse when there is pressure but intelligent people call on their wisdom when they are in a very tight spot,” Peterside declared.
He concluded by praising the new coach over his stance on inviting to his team, only footballers plying their trade in top divisions across the globe.
“The coach has started well in that regard. In my time, you sweated before you got a call up but these days things are so different and players from mundane leagues get invited.
“You cannot just walk into the German, Spanish or Brazilian national teams if you don’t play in a recognized team in a recognized league.
“Sunny is bringing that back to the Nigeria national team and he should be commended for that,” he said.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/oliseh-will-succeed-with-eagles-peterside/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:32pm On Aug 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh must get Ibe, Iwobi – Babalade
[/size]

Sunday Oliseh
By Festus Abu
Ajibade Babalade has urged Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh to try to persuade England-based duo Jordon Ibe and Alex Iwobi to play for the Super Eagles.
Nineteen-year-old Ibe, who was born in London to Nigerian parents, has represented England at Under-18 and Under-19 level. However, the teenager is still eligible to play for Nigeria at the senior level.
Arsenal forward Iwobi, who is the nephew of former Eagles captain Austin Okocha, has represented England at Under-16, 17 and 18 level.
Like Ibe, the 18-year-old Arsenal Under-21 team captain Iwobi, who was born in Lagos, is eligible to play for Nigeria.
Ibe, who was one of Liverpool’s best players last season, has been promised first team action by the Premier League club manager Brendan Rodgers in the new season following his impressive performances in the team’s pre-season tour of the Far East and Australia.
Scoring his first goal for the Gunners in their 6-0 victory over Lyon in London on July 25 earned Iwobi plaudits from Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger.
Reports last month claimed Oliseh was planning to meet with Ibe to persuade him to commit his international future to Nigeria, and former Eagles defender Babalade hailed the move.
Although Iwobi in January pledged his international allegiance to Nigeria, Babalade says there is a need for the new Eagles manager to meet with the player to assure him of regular playing time if he works hard to justify his invitation for the Gabon 2017 Africa Cup of Nations and Russia 2018 World Cup qualifiers.
“I’m happy with Oliseh’s appointment as Nigeria coach,” the Senegal ’92 Africa Cup of Nations bronze medallist told our correspondent on the telephone during the week.
“He was my teammate in the national team – and I believe he is the right man for the job.
“He said he would give our best plays a chance to play for the national team. I’m glad.
“Our team need quality players at the moment, because we have been lacking quality in every department.
“Ibe and Iwobi are quality players. There are other good young European-born players of Nigerian descent we can persuade to play for us.
“But Oliseh must get Ibe and Iwobi. They will help the Eagles a lot, because they are quality players.”
The former Shooting Stars strongman maintains Oliseh needs time to resurrect the fortunes of the Eagles, who missed out of place in the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations – after winning the 2013 tournament in South Africa.
The former Austria-based defender, popularly called Kunde, said, “We need a team that will instill fear into our opponents like the Eagles of the 90s. Many teams were afraid to play us because we played good football. We had quality players and everybody worked their socks off to help the team win games.
“Oliseh should work hard to build a strong team for us. We need players who are hungry for success. We need players who are ready to fight for the ball.”
Babalade added, “I believe Oliseh will succeed. But it will take him a year to build a solid team.
“He needs time. We just need to be patient with him. We shouldn’t expect miracles, because Oliseh is no magician.
“I love the way the Nigeria Football Federation is supporting him. I pray they continue to support him.
“A win against Tanzania (in their 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on September 5) will help the Eagles regain their confidence.
“A draw won’t be a bad result for the team in the encounter.
“Many people will lose interest in the team if we rae beaten by Tanzania. Oliseh will come under pressure from the media and fans. I pray for a good start for him.”
He says Oliseh should not bow to pressure from some sections of the media to exclude the likes of Mikel Obi, Emmanuel Emenike and Brown Ideye from his plans, saying the players still have a lot to offer the national team.
“They are good players and they should be invited to prove themselves,” the Shooting Stars team manager said.
“We need their experience to win games. We shouldn’t write them off because they struggled to regain their best form last season.”
Babalade urged former Nigeria coach Stephen Keshi to drop his plan to sue the NFF for “wrongful dismissal and defamation”.
He said, “Keshi should forget about the NFF and move on. He should be proud to have won the Africa Cup of Nations and taking the country to the second round of the 2014 World Cup.”
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/oliseh-must-get-ibe-iwobi-babalade/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:39pm On Aug 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Liverpool to make Ibe ‘top performer’
[/size]

Jordon Ibe
Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says teenage winger Jordon Ibe will be given time to develop into a ‘top-class performer’.
The 19-year-old, who has been at Anfield since December 2011, has been used sparingly in the first team since his debut in a 1-0 home victory over QPR in May 2013.
After making only 12 Premier League appearances over the past three years, the England U20 international, who was loaned out to Birmingham City and Derby County, was handed a new long-term contract at the end of last season.
He scored one goal in 11 games during his time at St Andrews in 2014 and followed that with five in 20 while under the tutelage of Steve McClaren at the iPro Stadium the following year.
Now Rodgers expects the Londoner to ‘feature heavily next season’, saying, “We must not forget that Jordon is only 19.
“He broke into the team as a young lad and had some appearances but we felt he needed time out on loan where he did really well. When he came back last season he was exceptional in his performances. I think he really excites the supporters.
“He’s definitely a player that we want to really create into a top-class performer, but we’ve got to give him that time and we’re creating the environment for him to do that.”
Ibe featured prominently on Liverpool’s pre-season tour of Asia and Australia, the highlight a stunning equaliser in the 1-1 draw with a Malaysia XI in Kuala Lumpur last week.
Rogers acknowledges he is far from the finished article but expects him to continue his development in the coming seasons.
“It’s a year-on-year improvement with Jordon,” he added. “He still has a lot of potential and work to do but he is one that will certainly feature heavily this year.”
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/liverpool-to-make-ibe-top-performer/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:46pm On Aug 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Shorunmu backs Enaholo’s Enyimba move
[/size]

Joshua Enaholo
By Idris Adesina
Former Nigeria goalkeeper, Ike Shorunmu, has said the signing of Flying Eagles goalkeeper, Joshua Enaholo, by Enyimba would impact positively on the player’s career.
Enyimba on Wednesday announced the signing of Enaholo from MFM FC for an undisclosed fee. They also announced the signing of former Rangers player Musa Najere and Burkina Faso international Ahmed Kone.
Shorunmu said the move will enable the keeper grow his potentials and become one of Nigeria’s most sought-after keepers.
He said, “The Enyimba move for Enaholo is a good one for him because it is better to build his career from the home front before travelling outside the shores of the country.
“The experience gotten at home is one that cannot be compared to that abroad. It provides the basics for the players and when he goes abroad he won’t get lost in the scheme of things.
“Enaholo is a good keeper and Enyimba too is a big club here in the country so it is a good one for both parties but the player will learn more from the club and his career as a keeper will be the better for it.”
The former Super Eagles assistant coach also believes that the U-23 team would beat Congo in Sunday’s African U-23 Championships qualifier.
Nigeria won the first leg of the encounter 2-1 in Port Harcourt but will face the hosts in Pointe Noire. Shorunmu said the tactics of the Congolese would not stop them from being defeated at home.
“The victory we had in the first leg will spur the players to a win in Congo on Sunday,” he said.
“It does not matter if the win is slim. Nigeria is aware of the way they play and the tactics they may use. They would be the one to fear us because they do not know what the team would be bringing to them in front of their fans.
“So Nigeria is at an advantage because they are ahead and have what it takes to win the match.”
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/shorunmu-backs-enaholos-enyimba-move/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:49pm On Aug 01, 2015
[size=14pt]
Troost – Ekong debuts for Norwegian club
[/size]
Super Eagles defender, William Troost – Ekong, made his debut for Haugesund on Friday, few days after completing his transfer to the Norwegian top flight club.
In the Tippeligaen 18th round of matches, the central defender completed the full 90 minutes as Haugesund won its fifth game of the season, defeating Viking 1 – 0 in Stavanger, a llnigeriasoccer.com reports.
Troost – Ekong was not the only Nigerian player in action at the Viking Stadium, with Samuel Adegbenro and Flying Eagles striker Suleiman Abdullahi making the starting XI for the home team.
Interestingly, Abdullahi and Adegbenro struck the post in the first and second half respectively, as Haugesund ran out winners thanks to an own goal by Karol Mets in the 69th minute.

thenationonlineng.net/troost-ekong-debuts-for-norwegian-club/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:46pm On Aug 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Anichebe, Igboun On Target As Simon Shines
[/size]
By Johnny Edward:
West Brom forward Victor Anichebe was on target for West Brom in their 4-0 thumping of Bristol Rovers in their final pre-season game at the Memorial Ground on Friday.
The Nigerian striker, who replaced Saido Berahino in the 56th minute, scored his side’s fourth goal after Craig Gardner‘s 34th minute goal was sandwiched by a brace from Baggies new signing Rickie Lambert.
It was Anichebe’s third strike of pre-season.
His compatriot Brown Ideye also replaced brace hero Rickie Lambert in the encounter.
In Belgium, Super Eagles winger Moses Simon helped his Belgian side Gent win maximum points in Friday’s 1-0 win over Genk, who paraded another Nigerian defender Wilfred Ndidi for 45 minutes.
Simon who lasted 66 minutes in the encounter was fouled in the box in the 43rd minute and the resultant spot kick was converted by Sven Kums.
While Simon received a standing ovation when he was replaced by Kenneth Saief, Bryan Heynen substituted Ndidi at half time.
Also in Norway, William Troost Ekong made a winning debut for FK Haugesund in their 1-0 win away to Vikings.
In Russia, Sylvester Igboun earned his Russian side FC UFA a point when he scored his first goal for the club their 1-1 draw against Kuban Krasnodar.
Igboun leveled scores in the 51st minute after Vladislav Ignatiev had handed the hosts the lead in the 35th minute.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/anichebe-igboun-on-target-as-simon-shines/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:48pm On Aug 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Odemwingie In Stoke Squad For Porto Clash
[/size]
By James Agberebi:
Nigerian forward, Osaze Odemwingie, has been included in Stoke City’s squad that will take part in the Colonia Cup in Koln, Germany, which starts on Saturday, according to the club’s official website.
Odemwingie who missed most part of last season due to injury, is one of 33 players who are making the trip to Germany.
The tournament which will represent Stoke’s final pre-season outing before the EPL kick-off next weekend, will also feature Valencia and FC Porto.
The Potters who took part in the Barclays Asia Trophy in Singapore some days back, will face host club FC Koln Saturday, before taking on FC Porto on Sunday.
The club’s other close season signings – Glen Johnson, Shay Given, Joselu, Moha, Jakob Haugaard, Marco van Ginkel and Philipp Wollscheid – are also included in the travelling party, along with several Under-21 squad members.
Stoke City’s full Colonia Cup squad: Charlie Adam, Ibrahim Afellay, Marko Arnautovic, Phil Bardsley, Jack Butland, Geoff Cameron, Peter Crouch, Liam Edwards, Moha, Shay Given, Daniel Gyollai, Jakob Haugaard, Stephen Ireland, Glen Johnson, Bojan, Joselu, Bobby Moseley, Marc Muniesa, Peter Odemwingie, Erik Pieters, Ryan Shawcross, Oliver Shenton, Steve Sidwell, Dionatan Teixeira, Dominic Telford, Marco van Ginkel, Mark Waddington, Jon Walters, Glenn Whelan, Marc Wilson and Philipp Wollscheid.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/odemwingie-in-stoke-squad-for-porto-clash/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:54pm On Aug 01, 2015
[size=14pt]
Ighalo Targets EPL Goals
[/size]
By Johnny Edward:
Watford striker Odion Ighalo is raring to go for the start of the new Premier League season after bagging six goals in pre-season.
The 26-year-old forward is targetting an opening day goal against Everton at Goodison Park as well as goals in other games in his debut EPL season.
“I did well in the Championship and now it the time to prove myself again by scoring goals in the EPL,” Ighalo told comple tesportsnigeria.com.
“Our first game is against a good side in Everton and scoring won’t be bad.”
Ighalo who is expected to lead the Hornets attack in their final pre-season game tonight against Europa League champions Seviila admits that a win against the Spanish side will boost confidence after Watford slumped to a 2-1 defeat to Cardiff City.
“We must keep the momentum going and ensure we try to win for our home fans,” he added.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ighalo-targets-epl-goals/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:57pm On Aug 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oshaniwa Finally Seals Hearts Move
[/size]
By James Agberebi:
Nigeria international, Juwon Oshaniwa, has finally sealed his move to the Scottish Premier League after joining Hearts.
Oshaniwa who joined Hearts from relegated Israeli side, Ashdod FC, signed a three-year contract.
Speaking with Hearts TV, Oshaniwa gave his reasons why he joined the newly promoted side.
“I want to tell you how happy I am, despite all the delays and all the hitches, finally I am in the family of Hearts.
“I’ve been following the progress of the club. It’s a big club with achievements. With the connection of the young talented players I thought this is a club where I’ve got a future ahead of myself. I must be frank with you, I said ‘I must come and play’.
“Anything is possible in the world of football. It depends on the mentality that you’ve got and what you’ve got upstairs and the target that you’ve placed ahead of yourself.
“My target is to come and do what I know how to do best. Alongside with our collective experience, technical crew and everything we’ve got here, we can achieve greater stuff, even at the end of the 2015/2016 season.”
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/oshaniwa-finally-seals-hearts-move/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:09pm On Aug 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Tech-savvy Oliseh changes the media rules of engagement
[/size]
The new Nigeria coach has modified the media game with the handling of the criticism of his proposed policy on first division-only players for the Super Eagles

By Lolade Adewuyi
In 2002, a group of Nigerian footballers became public enemy after the Super Eagles’ failure to win the Africa Cup of Nations in Mali.
Alongside the team’s captain and some of the older players in the squad who demanded for better welfare from the administrators of the Nigeria Football Federation, they were hounded out and left to the wolf pack to decimate as the media dealt with and the public turned against them.
Sunday Oliseh was that captain. Alongside key players like Finidi George, he was dropped from the trip to the 2002 World Cup in Japan/South Korea as they both went into early retirement.
In a June 2015 post on his personal website while analyzing the imminent crucifixion of national team goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, Oliseh disapproved of the manner in which the media and the NFF went about it as he likened it to the situation in which he found himself 13 years ago.
It would never have happened, he wrote, if not for “the absence of social media” with which he could have told his own story and fought back the bloodthirsty goons, whose misinformation sent him out of the national team at 27, as he was just reaching his peak.
This Monday, Oliseh showed the media what he has learned and the shape of things to come as he took to YouTube to dispel criticism of his plan to call up only Nigerian footballers playing in top division clubs.
As the storm gathered early, with many writers and analysts claiming that the 40-year-old had made a wrong first move, the former defensive midfielder changed the narrative with a masterstroke five minutes video aptly titled “Periodic update from the horse’s mouth on the Super Eagles’ evolution” where he discussed his reasons.
“At the moment there has been a lot of talk as regards the fact that we have decided that first division players are the players that we found eligible to serve our country,” Oliseh said. “We feel the best has to play for us and the best in any country play in the first division.”
With that recording, the former Juventus and Borussia Dortmund man took the game away from the media and established his own rules of engagement.
The media was quick to lap it up: websites transcribed the speech and made news of it, newspapers ran it verbatim while radio stations played it over and over as listeners called in approval.
If his predecessors were left at the mercy of the rumours in the media many times during their reign which eventually led to their sacking, Oliseh’s social media savvy has shown he would not be caught unawares.
In fact, he shows will play the media as an equal.
Having had enough time after football to get more education than many of his peers, Oliseh brings to the Nigeria role a new sense of optimism and understanding of the modern media space which would see him able to push his own agenda as he sees fit.
With the social media tools available – Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, YouTube and Instagram as well as his personal website, the new Nigeria coach does not have to wait for organized press conferences to address fans about the progress of his work.
He will neither be at the mercy of journalists to speak for him when problems eventually crop up with the federation.
With Twitter, where he now has a verified account, it means he can also easily reach out to old and potential players across the world at a click. He does not have to be in the same room to have a healthy conversation with his players. He can appraise their game and retweet their achievements.
Think of it, he will not complain of not having phone numbers of star players. And potential players can send links of their YouTube highlights straight to him with the knowledge that he received it.
However, his ability to circumvent the media boys to get his message out could breed contempt on the long run.
Journalists have always seen themselves as the gateway between the coach, the team and the fans, but with Oliseh’s new deal, this could all change.
Relegating the media to transcribing his vlogs and tweets could mean trouble on the long run. Oliseh would need to strike a balance. There will be no use alienating them.
Still, his media savvy promises a whole new experience for all. Young coaches across the country and all over the world would be learning from this debonair young man who is not letting anyone control his personal narrative.
It is a new era. Sit back, relax, welcome to the Sunday Oliseh Show.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/14061572

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 4:21pm On Aug 01, 2015
why is there no news on michael olaitan's loan move to fc twente?

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:34pm On Aug 01, 2015
[size=14pt]
Moses Gets Chelsea No.20, Mikel Retains No.12
[/size]
—Solanke, Aina Also Get Squad Numbers
By James Agberebi
Nigeria internationals, John Mikel Obi and Vcitor Moses, have been handed Chelsea squad numbers ahead of the 2015/2016 season.
According to the club’s official website, the numbers were released on Saturday with Mikel maintaining his jersey No.12 while Moses gets No.20.
Also handed jersey numbers are Nigerian youngsters, Dominic Solanke with number 35 and Ola Aina with number 34.
A total of 27 players got squad numbers, an indication that they will form the core of the senior squad.
Meanwhile, among the major changes made by Chelsea concerning jersey numbers, Juan Cuadrado switches from number 23 to number 11 previously worn by Didier Drogba.
Also, new signing, Asmir Begovic, has been handed number one and Radamel Falcao the number nine.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/moses-gets-chelsea-no-20-mikel-retains-no-12/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:38pm On Aug 01, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Okpala: No regrets taking NFF to CAS
[/size]
Ex-international, Sylvanus Okpala holds no punches when it comes to football discourse. He was made the assistant Super Eagles coach under Stephen Keshi. But he was summarily disengaged by Nigeria Football Federation administration of Aminu Maigari after the national team won the 2013 Nations Cup in South Africa and it seems the hornets’ nest was stirred. In this round-table interview withJACOB AJOM and BEN EFE,Okpala who says he has no regrets taking NFF to the Court of Arbitration for Sports bares his mind on burning football matters.
How has it been so far since you left the Super Eagles?
I thank God, today I am alive in the land of the living, I am healthy and very happy with myself.
Did you miss the team at all?
[img]http://www.vanguardngr.com/?attachment_id=546121[/img]
Okpala
Oh yes! I did as a football coach. To be in the Nigerian national team is something that is very special being an ex international who played for the national teams. I was the first captain of the Flying Eagles, once captain of the Super Eagles and the first Nigerian player from home to sign a professional contract in Europe. That was in 1982, when Nigerian players were still in darkness. I am part of Nigerian football history.
You have made it clear to us that football is like the air you breath. Why is it only the national team the ex-internationals like yourself, are ever eager to coach; why not the clubs?
No I don’t think so. Have you forgotten? I was a coach with Enyimba, I was a coach with Rangers
before joining the national team. I started with the clubs before the national team.
When you were with the national team what kind of relationship did you have with the other coaches especially Keshi?
We were very united and we handled the job professionally. For some reasons we were asked to go. If we had remained intact without the distractions after we won the Nations Cup in 2013 Nigerian football would have been in a very good position today especially the Super Eagles.
So, is that why the team is struggling to qualify for the Nations Cup 2017?
No, the team is not struggling, but playing to qualify. We haven’t reached the point of struggling and God will not make us struggle. A new coach has been appointed. I hope he does well.
What is your opinion on Sunday Oliseh’s appointment?
Well, I knew him as a player. I don’t know him as a coach. I have no doubt he may do a very good job.
You took the NFF to the Court of Sports Arbitration over your unpaid allowances after you were removed from the Eagles bench. Do you have any regrets about your action?
I have no regrets about it all. It was my money. I was fighting for it and I went to the appropriate quarters to seek redress. I didn’t go out of FIFA to seek justice. And you know that there are rules governing the game of football and any nation affiliated to FIFA must obey these laws and rules. It was a very simple thing. I was hurt and I needed redress, I wanted to get my money and I went to the right place.
Has the NFF settled you?
They paid me the first instalment. I am still waiting for the outstanding. They said they are going to pay, so I am still waiting.
At the moment Stephen Keshi has filed a suit against the NFF over his sack. NFF seems confident that Keshi does not have any case against it. Is it that the officials of the NFF did not learn any lesson from your own case?
If you ask me for advise; I will tell the NFF to seek mediation. Because if they go for mediation, they will give out less money. If they allow the case to get to court, they may end up spending more money. There are laws governing football. For example, in the FIFA statutes there isn’t any law that stops football federations from sacking coaches, but only that you need to fulfil certain obligations… call the man involved and do the needful. Just like when Ghana sacked Kwesi Appiah, they called him and they mutually parted with him. I read in the papers that Keshi wants to go to CAS, I haven’t spoken with him.
There is no rule stopping a coach from seeking another job while he is holding one. For instance, I read in the newspapers that Pep Guardiola has had an agreement with Manchester City, while still with Bayern Munich. The German club have not sacked him. This is one of the excuses the NFF gave for sacking Keshi. The other was that he called someone to camp without the authorisation of the NFF technical committee. It was the same NFF that paid the player’s airfare and camp allowances. If they didn’t like him, they would not have paid such allowances. The truth is that they were in a hurry to get rid of Keshi. They would have allowed Keshi to finish his contract. They had Oliseh in mind for a long time.
[/b]

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/okpala-no-regrets-taking-nff-to-cas/
.....continue in the next post

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:47pm On Aug 01, 2015
.....continue from the last post
[b][size=14pt]
Okpala: No regrets taking NFF to CAS
[/size]
But considering the obvious breakdown in relationship between Keshi and the NFF do you think he could have walked away in the long run?
No! No coach has walked away from his job. Because if he walks away, he will lose money. Remember Jose Mourinho during his first spell with Chelsea, he had a strained relationship with the owner, but he never walked away, the same with David Moyes who was subjected to abuse during his time with Manchester United. He stayed until the club called him and let him go after he was amicably settled.
Recently Carlo Ancelotti, they never allowed him near the bench in their last five games, but he waited until he was eventually asked to leave. Nobody walks away. Even if Keshi had gone to Ivory Coast, the NFF should have allowed him to stay instead of making all that trouble going to Ivory Coast to investigate. Had Keshi gotten the job, the NFF would have held him for breach of contract and then asked for compensation from him and the Ivorian federation. And if they refuse to pay, NFF will take Keshi and Ivory Coast to CAS. And if they get redress they can use that money to hire Oliseh for one year. There are rules governing the game and you cannot bend the rules.
It is like you are very sympathetic to Keshi?
I worked with him for a year and half. From what I observed he is a very good coach. Other people can have their own opinions about him. I cannot say, if he did anything wrong.
You were an ex-international who knows about the sentiments attached to the jersey number 10. Yet Keshi invited a player nobody knew about to play for Nigeria in that jersey?
There is nothing wrong with that. I know of some big stars in jersey number 10 invited by their country and they were put on the bench. I don’t think that is an issue. It was not all the professionals invited that played the game.
We have heard of stories about Football agents putting pressure on the national team coaches. What is your say on this issue?
I don’t know if this is true, because I have not experienced that kind of a thing. Nobody has ever approached me so I don’t know about it.
Do you think that the NFF will give Oliseh ample room to do his job?
I wouldn’t know. All I know is that we have to give him the support he needs to succeed. Not just the NFF, but all Nigerians.
What do you make of Oliseh’s stand of inviting only players who are in big clubs only?
I don’t know how he’ll do that. How many players in the squad of 94 were playing with big clubs in Europe? Oliseh was playing in Belgium, Uche Okechwukwu was playing in a lower division club. Also take for instance the Cameroon squad at Italian ’90; most of their players were in the second division clubs, but they went there and performed. So I don’t think Oliseh meant to say that. Is he saying that, if he sees a good player in the amateur ranks he won’t invite him? People misunderstood what he said.
[img]http://www.vanguardngr.com/?attachment_id=546122[/img]
Okpala
You were once part of the national team. You will agree that we don’t have outstanding players again.
Once in a country’s football life there will always be a downturn. Look at Brazil, they are not what they used to be. Those kind of players you are talking about come once in a while. But in another two or three years you will see them springing up again. The national team is not a club
and no country has been able to maintain a stable team. Germany, they were down when they hosted the world in 2006, they were beaten in the quarter-finals. But after four years or more they are back to the top. It is normal, but we have to work hard on our team. I agree we had exceptional players in the past, but now we don’t have.
Were you pained that we didn’t qualify for the Nations Cup 2015?
Of course. I felt so bad as a Nigerian that we failed to defend the Nations Cup in 2015. But then there was a lot of distraction and confusion. There were fears that FIFA was going to ban Nigeria. The players were confused, everybody was confused. It was hard for the players and coaches to concentrate. You read everyday in the newspapers that Nigeria would be suspended. There was even a letter from FIFA to that effect. No player or coach would be settled; that was what primarily caused our failure to qualify.
Where are you coaching presently?
I am coaching my family. But I have had offers. I am not interested because there is a lot of discomfort in Nigerian club football and the money has to be good for me to get involved. I am not asking for too much money. Money is not everything, but you have to be able to get money to take care of your needs.
[/b]

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/okpala-no-regrets-taking-nff-to-cas/
.....continue in the next post

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.