Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,872 members, 7,817,569 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (248715 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:46pm On Aug 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria Premier League 2015 Nigeria U17 Ifeanyi Matthew
Manu tips Ifeanyi Matthew to shine in Eagles
[/size]
by Samm Audu
Coach Manu Garba has tipped El Kanemi Warriors midfielder Ifeanyi Matthew to take his chance with the Super Eagles.
Flying Eagles midfielder Matthew has been named on a 23-man squad of players from the domestic league ahead of next month’s AFCON qualifier in Tanzania.
Manu said the player could well bring the creativity that has been lacking in the Eagles midfield for a long time now.
“The Eagles handlers were spot-on in inviting Ifeanyi Matthew because he is a very creative player whose wide-range vision and long balls will remind you of Sunday Oliseh in his playing days,” he said.
“I was even a bit surprised that the U23s have not considered the player even though they very much know what he is capable of.
“God’s willing he will prove himself in the Super Eagles now.”
Manu added: “The good thing too is that he will now work with a coach (Eagles assistant coach Salisu Yusuf) who knows him even before he played for the Golden Eaglets.
“It was even Salisu who gave him his breakthrough in the premier league with El Kanemi and so he will know how best to use the boy.”
Matthew featured at the 2013 African U17 Championship in Morocco and also played at the 2015 African Youth Championship in Senegal, which Nigeria won with the versatile midfielder scoring three goals and providing several assists to Taiwo Awoniyi.
A serious foot injury he suffered in an opening game against Brazil ended his campaign at the 2015 FIFA U20 World Cup in New Zealand.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/558910/Manu-tips-Ifeanyi-Matthew-to-shine-in-Eagles
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:47pm On Aug 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: FIFA Presidency - NFF Meets Over Kalu's Ambition
[/size]
Orji Uzor Kalu's ambition to become the next FIFA president is generating excitement as Nigeria Football Federation appears reluctant to be drawn into declaring support for the former Abia State governor.
Uzor-Kalu, declared his intention to replace Sepp Blatter in the February 2016 elections, but that move is now a subject of discussion among top football enthusiasts. Nigeria Football Federation president, Amaju Pinnick stated yesterday that the matter will be discussed by the executive committee of the NFF and its position will be made known.
"All I can say is that every decision regarding who to support for the FIFA election will be taken by the executive committee.
"But let me also add that there is this eligibility clause to run for the FIFA election. Article 13 sub-section 1. States that you must be in active football for the last five years as a referee, chairman of a club, president of a federation, member of executive committee and you must be actively connected to running of football in the last five years. The NFF executive committee will surely take a decision on the matter. We appreciate his contributions to Nigeria football and we will support him in any capacity.
"Orji Uzor Kalu has done well for Nigerian football. The history of the game will not be complete without mentioning his name. He was instrumental to Enyimba's winning of the champions league back to back in 2003 and 2004. But that was a long time ago," Pinnick said.
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201508121284.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:49pm On Aug 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: We'll Swim, Sink With Oliseh - NFF
[/size]
By Ben Efe
Nigeria Football Federation president, Amaju Pinnick affirmed yesterday that the appointment of former Super Eagles captain Sunday Oliseh was not a mistake. He added that the NFF has full confidence Oliseh will deliver results.
Oliseh, was appointed in July after coach Stephen Keshi was fired for job hunting. The appointment of Oliseh attracted mixed reactions, but Pinnick insisted that Oliseh was Nigeria's own version of Pep Guardiola.
"People are talking about experience. Experience is the accumulation of knowledge over a period of time. Football today is driven by technology and Oliseh is quite up to date. He is like Pep Guardiola," said Mr. Pinnick while speaking on AIT to mark his 11 months in office.
He argued that Oliseh has proved that he was worthy of his appointment as coach of the national team.
"We don't have any regrets selecting Oliseh. If you know what he has done in the last one month you will know that he is a true professional.
"He is not just a coach, he is a manager. He manages the confidence of the players. A lot of countries in Africa wanted him, but he held back for Nigeria. He has so much capacity and we have so much confidence in him. He will deliver."
He submitted that the NFF was bent on hiring a foreign coach after Keshi was shown the exit door, but it was a news article on Oliseh that informed the decision to bring him on board.
"We were already in touch with a world class coach. As we were talking one of our members drew my attention to an article about Oliseh. Amazing article it was."
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201508121169.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:53pm On Aug 12, 2015
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria African Football Nigeria
Ghana FA yet to receive offer for Nigeria friendly
[/size]
by Ameenu Shardow
The Ghana Football Association insists it had no offer to play a friendly match against rivals Nigeria.
Reports are rife the Nigerian FA decided against playing the Black Stars in an international friendly next month in favour of a date with Niger.
The proposed friendly match between the West African giants was to be played in London.
But GFA spokesman Ibrahim Sannie Daara says no offer was received about a friendly with Nigeria.
"We had no offer from Nigeria," he said. "We heard nothing from them."
Ghana are likely to play Congo early next month in a friendly before traveling away to face Rwanda on 06 September in Kigali in a 2017 AFCON qualifier.

africanfootball.com//news/559042/Ghana-FA-yet-to-receive-offer-for-Nigeria-friendly
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:54pm On Aug 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Pinnick - No Regrets Contracting Oliseh for Eagles Job
[/size]
By Duro Ikhazuagbe
President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick, insisted yesterday that the federation has no regrets contracting former Nigerian international, Sunday Oliseh, as Super Eagles head coach.
Speaking on KAAKAKI programme on Africa Independent Television (AIT), yesterday morning, Pinnick said Oliseh's track record as both a former player and member of FIFA's Technical Study Group put him in frame to do a good job coaching the Nigerian senior national team.
He dismissed statements by some persons about Oliseh being inexperienced for the job. "We have no regrets appointing Sunday Oliseh. Other African countries were gunning for him, but he opted for his country. Oliseh's stock in international football is high because apart from his work with FIFA, he has a company that trains and grades coaches all over the world," observed the NFF chief.
Pinnick stressed that instead of looking for loopholes to criticize the new Eagles coach, Nigerians should put heads together to support him.
"What the NFF, Oliseh, the LMC and other aspects of Nigeria football need is support from everyone, and patience, so that we can put in place our development programmes that will take the country's game to a new height," stressed the Glass House leadership.
He emphasised that Nigeria has the quality and quantity of population, and the wherewithal, to be a strong voice in the international sphere.
"Instead of simply castigating those at the helm of affairs, we should have tendency to offer what we believe are better solutions for specific issues. It is not about one person; it is about our dear country, Nigeria.
"When myself and other persons at the helm of Nigeria football travel out of the country, we go out there to project the Nigeria game, to seek partners for Nigeria football in order that we can actualise our development plans," he explained.
Pinnick expressed delight at the impact of the federation's capacity-building programmes, which has seen referees and coaches going to the United Kingdom for some interesting education.
"We can all see the impact of the new orientation in our referees who handle League matches, and everyone is now talking about the League again. We will soon begin to see the impact of the coaches' training in match analysis, and we also have plans to send some administrators for similar programmes.
"The present NFF leadership is driven by passion to make a difference, and we have that capacity to make the difference in administration of Nigeria football," concludes Pinnick on high note yesterday on the television programme monitored in Lagos.
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201508120068.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:03pm On Aug 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Other countries wanted Oliseh – Pinnick
[/size]

Oliseh (left) and Pinnick after their meeting in London on Wednesday
Pius Ayinor
The Nigeria Football Federation president, Amaju Pinnick, has insisted that new Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh, remains the best option for the team. He stated that Nigeria got the former Eagles captain even as other African countries lined up to recruit him.
Pinnick reiterated the position of the NFF on Tuesday via Twitter and the federation’s website as he defended some decisions of the FA that had taken public scrutiny.
He said, “We have no regrets appointing Sunday Oliseh. Other African countries were gunning for him, but he opted for his country. Oliseh’s stock in international football is high because apart from his work with FIFA, he has a company that trains and grades coaches all over the world.
“What the NFF, Oliseh, the League Management Company and other aspects of Nigerian football need is support from everyone, and patience, so that we can put in place our developmental programmes that will take the country’s game to a new height.”
Former Eagles coach Stephen Keshi had said many times that he was wanted by many African countries.
In response to the regular criticisms of Oliseh due to his lack of experience, Pinnick responded that his national team playing career, which saw him winning the Africa Cup of Nations’ gold, silver and bronze, Olympic gold and working with the FIFA Technical Study Group, would take care of that area.
“Experience is accumulation of knowledge over time to be used in a given situation. Technology provides immediate solution.
“Oliseh won’t be only a coach; he will be manager of the Super Eagles.”

Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh
The NFF president added that Nigeria had the quality, population, and the wherewithal to be a strong voice internationally.
Pinnick then urged critics of Nigerian football to be constructive and not destructive, and to cultivate the habit of proffering alternative solutions whenever they feel that the federation’s decisions were not good enough.
“Instead of simply castigating those at the helm of affairs, we should have tendency to offer what we believe are better solutions for specific issues. It is not about one person; it is about our dear country, Nigeria.
“When I and other persons at the helm of Nigerian football travel out of the country, we go out there to project the Nigerian game, to seek for partners for Nigerian football so that we can actualise our developmental plans.”
The NFF boss expressed delight at the impact of the federation’s capacity-building programmes, which has seen referees and coaches going to the United Kingdom for training.
“We can all see the impact of the new orientation in our referees who handle league matches, and everyone is now talking about the league again. We will soon begin to see the impact of the coaches’ training in match analysis, and we also have plans to send some administrators for similar programmes.”
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/other-countries-wanted-oliseh-pinnick/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:08pm On Aug 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: FIFA - Toro Faults Adamu, Warns Against Misleading Kalu
[/size]
By Solomon Nwoke
Former Secretary General of the Nigeria Football Association, NFA, Sani Ahmed Toro has laughed off Dr Orji Uzo Kalu's dream of replacing Sepp Blatter as FIFA's next president.
Toro who called our hotline yesterday said that he found it more ridiculous that former executive member of FIFA, Dr Amos Adamu backed the former Governor's ambition.
Toro said that Nigerians in high positions should be careful not to mislead Kalu and make Nigeria a laughing stock in the world.
"With due respect to Kalu, his credentials with Enyimba is not enough to catapult him to FIFA. He did well with the club but he should be told about the rules and guidelines. Nobody wakes up to join the queue to become FIFA President overnight", Toro said.
He faulted Dr Adamu for not telling Kalu the truth on FIFA. " I don't think Dr Adamu that I know can make that statement credited to him by a section of the media. If he actually made that statement, then I am disappointed.
"The former Bauchi State Sports Commissioner and former House of Representatives member said that Kalu does not have the platform to contest for that exalted position. "People should not deceive Kalu", Toro emphasised.
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201508120049.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:20pm On Aug 12, 2015
[size=14pt]
Home Based Players’ll Gain From Oliseh –Kwambe
[/size]
[img]http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/08/home-based-playersll-gain-oliseh-kwambe/[/img]
Super Eagles defender, Solomon Kwambe, has revealed that the domestic players would have a chance to prove their worth under Sunday Oliseh.
Oliseh had invited 23 NPFL players for early preparations ahead of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Tanzania, with another list of foreign based players expected sometime soon.
Kwambe who has racked up 10 international caps said that he was glad he would be joined in the August 5-match camp by teammates Gbolahan Salami, Oghenekaro Etebor and newcomer Lordson Ichull all of Warri Wolves.

dailyindependentnig.com/2015/08/home-based-playersll-gain-oliseh-kwambe/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:53am On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo admits luck in Everton goal
[/size]
Odion Ighalo has admitted that he was a bit lucky with the goal he scored against Everton at Goodison Park on the opening weekend of the 2015/16 Barclays English Premier League season.
The striker netted in the 83rd minute in exemplary fashion to temporarily give Watford a 2-1 lead over Everton before Aruna Kone rescued a point for theToffeeswith a late strike.
Ighalo has now taken the time to discuss his goals as well as share his sentiments on Watford’s prospects in the new season.
“As a striker I want to score goals, so (the goal I scored against Everton) will give me confidence to fight on and score more,” Ighalo said, speaking exclusively toHornets PlayerHD.
Ighalo took highly-rated defender, John Stones to the cleaners enroute the goal but insisted that apart from endeavor and intelligence, luck also had a great part to play in the actions leading to the exhilarating strike.
“I saw John Stones come towards me so I had to cut in, and I saw another defender coming in, so I knew if I took the shot then it would be blocked. I was lucky I did what I did, and I was happy to see the ball go in.
“We could have come away with the three points, but we were unlucky and we must learn that when we are playing in the Premier League you have to fight to the end,” he reflected.
“I’m happy with the performance of the team, it will give us more confidence going forward to help us do well. It is encouraging because you could see that we fought from the first minute to the last, especially playing against a good time like Everton, and a point we can be happy with.
“We just have to learn from this, and try not to concede late on next time, but we really worked hard,” Ighalo said.
Ighalo’s form in 2015 is fearsome as has scored the most goals (17) of any player in England’s top four tiers in the calendar year.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/ighalo-admits-luck-in-everton-goal/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:55am On Aug 14, 2015
[size=14pt]
Joel Obi back
[/size]
Nigeria midfielder, Joel Obi has returned to action for his Serie A side, Torino after a knee complaint kept him out for several weeks.
Obi has been out for a while due to knee inflammation, but showed he is fully back to fitness as he featured in a friendly Tuesday in which Torino beat Mondovi 2-0.
He now looks set and ready to play for Torino in an Italian Cup game on Sunday against Pescara.
The former Inter Milan midfielder was excellent in the midfield for his new team.
The talented Obi has endured several long-term injuries, which limited his appearances for Inter as well as the Super Eagles.

thenationonlineng.net/joel-obi-back/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:59am On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
WBA boss hints at Ideye, Anichebe’s exit
[/size]
The days of Nigeria strikers Victor Anichebe and Brown Ideye at West Bromwich Albion are numbered if the words of manager Tony Pulis are taken into consideration.
Pulis told Express and Star in the United Kingdom that both strikers could move after the team signed Rickie Lambert and Salomon Rondon.
Anichebe and Ideye have struggled to hold down regular starting places at “The Hawthorns” and the manager has hinted that the pair could be allowed to find other clubs, africanFootball.com reports.
“People will look at Victor and Browny and think they have to move on, but they have wanted to play more regular football anyway,” africanFootball.com quoted Pulis as saying to the Express and Star.
“Bringing Salomon in, does it hasten their move from the club? We’ll have to wait and see.”
Anichebe joined WBA from Everton in 2013, while Ideye moved from Dynamo Kiev last summer on a then club record fee of 10 million pounds.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/wba-boss-hints-at-ideye-anichebes-exit/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:02am On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Team selection: Lawal warns Oliseh
[/size]
Former Nigeria international, Garba Lawal has advised Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh to avoid making a wholesale change to the team, as he gets set to announce the list of invited overseas based players for next month’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Tanzania.
Speaking toNews24, Lawal advised Oliseh to make a gradual change to the team, as the current crop of players are all important.
“I don’t think he should be in a hurry to make a change to the team,” Lawal said.
“It’s not possible to just sack all the players, it’s not possible. He has to make a gradual change because I believe everybody in the team now is important. Whether the new or the old players, all are important so I will advise a gradual change if he wants, and nothing wholesale.”
Lawal, who played alongside Oliseh in the Super Eagles, and both players were on the score sheet in the 3-2 win over Spain at the France ’98 World Cup, says he expects to still see some of the regular faces when Oliseh eventually names the list of overseas based players.
“I do expect we will see some of the regular faces we know because he can’t remove all the players at once,” he added.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/team-selection-lawal-warns-oliseh/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:17am On Aug 14, 2015
[size=14pt]
Osaze ruled out
[/size]
MARK HUGHES has confirmed that Nigeria international Peter Osaze Odemwingie, is set for a two-week spell on the sidelines after sustaining a hamstring injury in training.
The news is a blow to the Nigerian international who endured a frustrating 2014/15 campaign after suffering knee ligament damage in the 1-0 triumph over Manchester City last August.
He did however make a full recovery back from that to feature in the latter stages of last season, and built upon that during the Potters’ hectic pre-season schedule.
Odemwingie stepped off the bench against Liverpool in last Sunday’s 2015/16 curtain-raiser, but will take no part in Saturday’s trip to White Hart Lane.
“Unfortunately Peter has got a hamstring strain and is likely to miss the next couple of weeks,” Hughes said at the pre-match press conference.
“It’s disappointing for him because he has worked tremendously hard throughout pre-season.”

thenationonlineng.net/osaze-ruled-out/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:18am On Aug 14, 2015
[size=14pt]
Joel Obi back
[/size]
Nigeria midfielder, Joel Obi has returned to action for his Serie A side, Torino after a knee complaint kept him out for several weeks.
Obi has been out for a while due to knee inflammation, but showed he is fully back to fitness as he featured in a friendly Tuesday in which Torino beat Mondovi 2-0.
He now looks set and ready to play for Torino in an Italian Cup game on Sunday against Pescara.
The former Inter Milan midfielder was excellent in the midfield for his new team.
The talented Obi has endured several long-term injuries, which limited his appearances for Inter as well as the Super Eagles.

thenationonlineng.net/joel-obi-back/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:20am On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Dnipro’s new signing: Babatunde to play against Donesk today
[/size]
The Super Eagles midfielder, Michael Babatunde who signed a three year deal with last season’s Europa League finalists Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk after quitting Volyn at the end of his contract will lace boots for his new club against Shaktar Donetsk in Ukraine’s elite league today.
The player’s Agent/guardian, Nureni Makanjuola disclosed this in Abuja yesterday after personally breaking the news of the deal to SportingLife.
“Yes I am happy to tell you that Michael Babatunde has signed a three year deal with Ukraine’s top club Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk. Its a juicy contract better than any one he has ever signed. I will not disclose the contractual details for reasons best known to me and my player.
“But we thank God that Michael left Volyn for a more better team and one of the best in Europe. Here we all believe and sincerely pray that his football career will blossom”, Makanjuola disclosed.
The player’s agent also said that Babatunde has been wooed by Dnipro’s Manager Bohgdanovych Markevych for a long time and they had no choice than to give in since the coach stated clearly that the player will feature prominently in his programs.
“You won’t believe it that Michael did medical this (yesterday) and the coach has listed him to play against Shaktar Donetsk in today’s league match. That is how important the player is to Dnipro and the manager is not hiding this fact”, Makanjuola also toldSportingLife.
The player’s Agent also mentioned some of the0 benefits Babatunde will enjoy as Dnipro’s player.
“Michael is entitled to bring his family to come and live with him in Ukraine at the expense of Dnipro. He has already been given a befitting accomondation with a choiced car to go with it. He is also allowed to go on holiday in Nigeria or elsewhere also at the expense of the club. I think my player has come to a good club where he would enjoy himself, improve as a player and also pay the club back with good performances every week”, Makanjuola disclosed.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/dnipros-new-signing-babatunde-to-play-against-donesk-today/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:22am On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ogu confirms readiness for Israeli league season
[/size]
Hapoel Beer Sheva of Israel midfielder, John Ogu has toldSportingLifethat he is in top shape for the start of the Ligat HaAl season and has dispelled injury rumour against him.
Ogu, a Super Eagles’ player was reported to have sustained an injury that kept him out of the start of the season but the former Portugal based player has told SportingLife that he is fit and raring to go ahead of their league tie at Hapoel Ironi Kiryat Shmona on August 23.
Ogu revealed toSportingLifethat he only sustained a knock and that he had since resumed training and was even in the thick of action in his club’s latest friendly game win on Wednesday which they won 4-0.
“I am not injured as being peddled in the media. I am fine and in top shape now. I was only advised to rest from the knock I received but I
am fine now. I even played 90 minutes in my club’s last pre season game on Wednesday,” Ogu disclosed toSportingLifeyesterday from his base.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/ogu-confirms-readiness-for-israeli-league-season/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:24am On Aug 14, 2015
[size=14pt]
Ejide offered to Galatasaray
[/size]
Super Eagles goalkeeper, Austin Ejide has been offered to Turkish Superlig champions Galatasaray.
At the end of last season, Ejide chose not to extend his contract with Israeli side Hapoel Beer Sheva, and has since failed to find a new team.
During preliminary discussions, the shot – stopper’s intermediaries told Galatasaray suits that he will be back up to Uruguay international Fernando Muslera.
Super Lig trio Antalyaspor, Akhisar Belediyespor and Eskisehirspor have all been credited with an interest for Austin Ejide in the summer transfer market.
A product of Enugu Rangers, Ejide has represented a number of teams in France, Israel and Tunisia.

thenationonlineng.net/ejide-offered-to-galatasaray/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:26am On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo eagers to seek Ideye’s scalp in EPL clash
[/size]
Watford striker, Odion Jude Ighalo has toldSportingLifethat he is looking forward to the reunion between him and West Bromwich Albion’s Brown Ideye when the two clash on Saturday in the Matchday 2 of the English Premier League (EPL).
Ighalo and his Watford side held Everton to a draw at the Goodison Park last week and they will be seeking their first home win of the season at the Vicarage Road on Saturday.
The Super Eagles’ forward will face his other two Nigerian compatriots, Peter Anichebe and Ideye and he has toldSportingLife
that brotherhood and friendship would be secondary when both teams clash and that he would be as professional as possible throughout the
duration of the encounter.
Ighalo recalled he and Ideye’s frolics at the Ajegunle’s Maracana
Stadium but he said ensuring that Watford beat West Brom would be uppermost on his mind when the game kicks off and that at the end of the game their friendship would be rekindled.
“I am eagerly looking forward to the game with West Brom this weekend.
Ideye is my very good friend and we grew up together and played at the Ajegunje popular pitch called Maracana Stadium.
“There won’t be friendship on Saturday till after the game when we will see to recall old memories. We are eager to play the first competitive match before our fans and we are hoping that it ends in a win.
“It will be a difficult match but we won’t be intimidated at all as we
are hoping to record a win and make bold statement that our draw at Everton was no fluke,” Ighalo toldSportingLife.
The former U23 captain started the EPL season with a bang when he netted one of his club’s two goals at the Goodison Park against Everton where they picked a draw on their return game to the English top flight.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/ighalo-eagers-to-seek-ideyes-scalp-in-epl-clash/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:53am On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria stars aim to shine in 'new home' Turkey
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/559711/Nigeria-stars-aim-to-shine-in-new-home-Turkey[/img]
Omeruo will hope for more game time at Kasimpasa.
Football action will restart this weekend in Turkey with a clutch of Nigeria players fighting to win games and laurels for their respective clubs.
There are a handful of them in the Turkish top-flight league, the Super League, while a good number will feature in the second division called League 1.
AfricanFootball.com looks at the prospects of the Nigerians in the new home of Turkey as the new season kicks off.
Kenneth Omeruo (Defender/Kasimpasa)
The Nigeria international has joined Kasimpasa on a season-long loan from Chelsea. The central defender is one of the shining lights of the Eagles and will be looking forward to doing greater things in the heart of defence for Kasimpasa.
He told AfricanFootball.com his main target is to get regular playing time at the club.
"I am really excited about my deal to Kasimpasa. I am looking forward to play a lot of game and also help the team achieve success," he said.
Raheem Lawal (Midfielder/ Eskisheirspor
The midfielder is one of the most underrated Nigeria players as he can play as a defensive and attacking midfielder.
The 25-year-old Lawal has been an important part of Eskisheirspor since joining them and has been linked to a move away to the likes of Besiktas and Roma.
If he remained at Eskishirspor beyond this summer, he will be one of the players the coach will be relying on for great performance.
He was the most consistent Nigeria in Turkey Super league last season, playing 28 league games and scoring two goals.
Godfrey Oboabona (Defender/Rizespor)
The former Sunshine Stars captain will be looking forward to have a better season than last term by getting more playing time.
He is a solid central defender and will want his team do better than last season when they battle for survival in the top flight.
He played 19 league games with a goal for Rizespor last season.
Michael Eneramo (Striker/Sivasspor)
The striker will lead the Sivasspor attack when the new season begins this weekend. He was there last season, but injury was his bane – he managed just three league games last season - and will be looking forward to be fit for the season so has to bang in goals as expected for the team.
He is well known in Sivasspor and they are trusting him to get the goals to keep them afloat this season.
Aminu Umar (Striker/Osmanlispor)
The U23 striker was part of the squad who helped Osmanlispor to the Super League and he is one of the players they will be counting on for goals when the league kicks off.
The former Wikki Tourists striker, 20, will be tested at the top flight and must prove himself.
But his potentials are not in doubt after he scored four goals in 17 games last season.
John Chibuike (Striker/Gaziantepspor)
The Gaziantepspor forward had a good season last term with his team in the top flight, scoring six goals in 27 games and will be hoping for a better performance this season. He is a strong forward with great skills too.
Gbenga Arokoyo (Defender/Gaziantepspor)
The defender will be looking forward to get more playing time after featuring for Gaziantepspor 20 times last season. He is a strong defender who will want to go step further this season after settling down in Turkey after his time in Sweden.
Musa Mohammed (Defender/Basaksehir)
The Flying Eagles skipper enjoyed a superb pre-season with his new Istanbul club and he is expected to soon to get his chance in the first team.
He is disciplined and ready to fight for his place at a club who finished fourth last season in the Super League.
There are also a good number of Nigerians in the Turkish second division, who will hope to lift their teams to the Super League by the end of the season.
Sunday Mba, Okechukwu Azubuike and George Akpabio will feature for Yeni Matalyaspor,
Nnamdi Oduamadi is on a season-long loan to Sanliurfaspor from AC Milan, while Samsunspor will rely on goals from Nigeria strikers Chikeluba Ofoedu and Ekigho Ehiosun.
Simon Zenke will feature for Karabukspor and David Abwo will star for Giresunspor.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/559711/Nigeria-stars-aim-to-shine-in-new-home-Turkey

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:00am On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Sammy Ameobi has big dreams with Cardiff
[/size]

Sammy Ameobi - Cardiff City new boy.
Sammy Ameobi has revealed his ambition with Cardiff City is to help his team secure promotion to the English Premier League.
He expressed his delight for making debut for Cardiff City in Capital One cup game, which they won 1-0 against AFC Wimbledon as he looks set to do more for the team as the season progresses.
“I came down and saw the beautiful city and the great facilities here. It’s a Premier League club really, and it’s where they’re heading – back in that direction,” he said.
“Obviously the big thing for me is joining a club who have ambition. Cardiff’s ambition is to get to the Premier League, and that’s what I’m here to help do, so hopefully I can help that dream.”
He also spoke on his impressions from the match against AFC Wimbledon.
“I really enjoyed it,” said the forward. “It was a tough game and they were a very competitive side. I think we had a bit of a slow start, but in the second half we pushed on and took control of the game, it was a good start for my season.”
He said he wants more good results for Cardiff.
“A big part of my game is my pace, but I can always get quicker, always get stronger. Last season at Newcastle I worked a lot on my body to get stronger, and I want to do it even more. We’ve got great staff and I have a good regime going – hopefully we’ll see some results soon,” he said.
Ameobi, who made 25 appearances for Newcastle United last season, also spoke about the move away from his boyhood club and the reasons he chose to spend a season in the Welsh capital.
“I just wanted to play football, wherever that may be,” he admitted. “When the opportunity arose for me to come out on loan, I snatched at it. I want to play football, I love the game and it’s not nice to be on the bench for most games,” he reasoned.
“Newcastle’s obviously my home town, I’ve got love for Newcastle of course, but this is a moment in my career I feel I’ve needed to do. I needed to get out and kind of grow up.
“Obviously being the local kid on the block, I wanted to come and put my stamp on a new Club. Newcastle are monitoring all of my games too – keeping a tight tab on me. Steve McClaren has been in touch and he wants me to make a massive impact with goals and assists.”
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/559692/Sammy-Ameobi-has-big-dreams-with-Cardiff
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:01am On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Akpeyi says work permit out soon to star for Chippa
[/size]

Akpeyi
Former Warri Wolves and Super Eagles goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi has told AfricanFootball.com his work permit will be out this week so he could feature for new South African club Chippa United.
Akpeyi, who has signed for the South African PSL side, will now team up with fellow Nigerian James Okuosah.
Akpeyi told AfricanFootball.com: "I am just awaiting the release of my work permit which would be out in two days all things being equal.
"I have done every other thing that is needed, it's just for me to start playing that is left.
"I am very excited to have completed my move to Chippa. I am eager to get to action for them and do what I love doing."
He added: "And I am looking forward to bettering and improving myself as the South African league is very competitive."
By Arafat Aliu
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/559686/Akpeyi-says-work-permit-out-soon-to-star-for-Chippa
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:08am On Aug 14, 2015
[size=14pt]
Ahly boot out Nigerian flop Ebimobowei
[/size]

Ebimobowei - Released by Al Ahly
Egyptian giants Al Ahly have released Nigerian striker Peter Ebimobowei after he failed to impress in the six months he was at the club.
The Cairo giants announced their 25-man squad for the new season on Thursday and left out Ebimobowei so as to make way for their new summer signings.
The former Bayelsa United star failed to live up to the expectations and made only a few appearances.
Ebimobowei, 21, struggled with injuries throughout the past season, scoring only a goal in a handful of games.

africanfootball.com/news/559626/Ahly-boot-out-Nigerian-flop-Ebimobowei
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:59am On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Chelsea Fans: Sell Mikel Now!
[/size]

By James Agberebi:
Some fans of Chelsea have asked for Super Eagles midfielder Mikel Obi to be sold following the sale of Oriol Romeu to Southampton on Wednesday.
According to talksport.com, the fans took to Twitter to express their displeasure over the sale of Romeu, positing that instead Mikel should have been the one to be shown the door.
One of the fans, @_flemzeey, praised Romeu while wondering how Mikel is still at the club. He wrote: "Mikel is still at Chelsea but Chelsea is selling Romeu….. Watch that boy become a big name in EPL in 2 years time #CFC."
Another fan, @CFC__Talk, added: "Good move for Romeu hopefully can get his form back, personally I prefer him over Ramires and Mikel but I'm not manager #CFC."
A rather disappointed @jescfc was blunt, writing: "Rather have kept Oriol Romeu and sold Mikel instead. Astute purchase by #SaintsFC. Nevertheless, reported £7m is decent business for #CFC."
Unhappy @HarryHail moaned: "The saints get a great talent in Romeu and we are stuck with Mikel for another season #CFC #saintsfc."
Romeu joined Chelsea from Bracelona in 2011 but injuries and loan spells restricted his appearances for the Blues to just 33.
He was on the bench for Chelsea's 2012 Champions League final win, but spent the last two seasons on loan at Valencia and then Stuttgart.
Mikel has been at Chelsea since joining as a teenager in 2006.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/chelsea-fans-sell-mikel-now/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:08pm On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Tanzania Coach: We Can Beat Super Eagles
[/size]

—Taifa Stars Head To Turkey For Preparation
By James Agberebi:
Tanzania interim coach, Boniface Mkwasa, has stated that they will be targeting a win against the Super Eagles in next month’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Dar Es Salam.
Mkwasa who replaced Mart Noorj, made this known in an interview with Sports Radio, 88.9, Brila FM on Wednesday.
“We know we have a very big game coming up against Nigeria. We respect Nigeria, we are a small team when compared to Nigeria because we look like the underdog,” Mkwasa said.
“But as we all know in football anything can happen. So we are looking forward to winning the game because we believe we can achieve it and we are preparing towards that.”
Meanwhile, comple tesportsnigeria.com reports that the Taifa Stars of Tanzania will be heading to Istanbul, Turkey to intensify preparation ahead of the AFCON clash against the Super Eagles on September 5th.
They are currently bottom of the group after they lost 3-0 to Egypt in their first group game.
The Eagles occupy the second spot in the group following their 2-0 win against Chad in Kaduna.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/tanzania-coach-we-can-beat-super-eagles/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:12pm On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
African Team Of The Week In Europe
[/size]

The European leagues kicked off in some countries last weekend and it was particularly a good weekend for some African stars.
These players, especially the offensive ones, were in goal scoring form.
They helped their clubs achieve positive results against their rivals and will be hoping to continue in such fine fettle this weekend.
The German Bundesliga begins this Friday, though the Spanish La Liga and the Serie A still have a week left before they kick off.
Of course there is a huge African presence in the major leagues in Europe and African football fans are keen to know how their exports perform every week.
Comple tesportsnigeria.com looks back at the African players who were in form last weekend for their European clubs and found their names in our ‘African Best XI in European Leagues’.
The 3-4-3 is the tactical formation we have gone for.
Presented By IZUCHUKWU OKOSI
……………………………………….
GOALKEEPER
VINCENT ENYEAMA
Nigeria captain Vincent Enyeama is the only top-rated African goalkeeper in the major European leagues that played last weekend.
Despite conceding a goal against PSG in a 1-0 defeat, Enyeama is expected to churn great performances in Ligue 1 this season.
For lack of competition this weekend, Enyeama takes the gloves for the opening weekend of games across Europe.
……………….
WILFRED NDIDI
Nigerian defender Wilfred Ndidi was in action on Friday night when his Pro Belgian side Genk played a goalless draw against Chuks Aneke’s Zulte Waregem.
The Flying Eagles star at the 2015 FIFA U20 World Cup rarely put a foot wrong though was lucky not to have been adjudged to bring down an opponent in the penalty box as early as the 14th minute of the game.
CHEICKOU KOUYATE
West Ham United defeated Arsenal 2-0 on Sunday with Senegal’s Cheickou Kouyate scoring the first goal of the game when he nodded the ball past an off-form Petr Cech.
Kouyate is deployed in our African XI of the week in the defence and he has made a total of three tackles, two interceptions, made one blocked shot but did not commit any foul or made any clearances.
The Hammers’ victory was their first in the last seven meetings against the Gunners.
ABDUL RAHMAN BABA
Black Stars of Ghana left back Abdul Rahman Baba was in action last weekend as his German side Augsburg defeated lower division outfit, Elversberg 3-0 in the DFB Pokal tournament.
The defender who has reportedly agreed a deal to join Chelsea in the English Premier League played for 90 minutes and was strong in the tackle.
…………………………………………………
MIDFIELDERS
VICTOR WANYAMA
Southampton held Newcastle United to a 2-2 draw at Saint James’ Park on Sunday and Victor Wanyama was key in the Saints’ impressive outing.
The Kenyan midfielder made three interceptions and four clearances in the game.
Wanyama also surged forward a couple of times especially when his team went for corners.
YAYA TOURE
African Footballer of the Year Yaya Toure scored one goal in Man City’s 3-0 victory over West Bromwich Albion on Monday night.
Toure goals was a powerful shot from about 25 yards while what would have been his second was later awarded to David Silva.
Toure had 96.5% pass accuracy in the game and had 91 touches of the ball. He made one key pass and had two shots on target.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/african-team-of-the-week-in-europe/
.....continue in the next post
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:13pm On Aug 14, 2015
.....continue from the last post
[b][size=14pt]
African Team Of The Week In Europe
[/size]

ANDRE DEDE AYEW
The Ghana forward who left French Ligue 1 side Olympique Marseilles to sign for Swansea City this summer makes our African Team of Week 1 after his impressive debut performance in the game against defending champions, Chelsea.
The Swans’ new buy scored a brilliant goal thus sending out a message that he will be a source of trouble for all defences.
The son of Ghana football legend Abedi Pele Ayew had 80% Pass Accuracy and had 44 touches of the ball in the game.
RIYAD MAHREZ
The 24-year-old Algerian midfielder was in fine form in Leicester City’s 4-2 win over Sunderland on Saturday.
Mahrez scored a brace which included a penalty in the game. He had 3 Shots on Target from a total of 6. Mahrez’s Pass Accuracy was 80%.
STRIKERS
……………………………..
ODION IGHALO
Super Eagles of Nigeria striker Jude Odion Ighalo became the outright leading scorer in England with 17 goals after finding the net during his side’s 2-2 draw at Everton on the opening weekend of the Premier League season.
Ighalo came off the bench in the 75th minute of the game in place of Jurado to score Watford’s second goal of the game, a composed finish that seemed to have won it for his team before Everton equalised.
AROUNA KONE
Ivorian striker Arouna Kone like Odion came off the bench in Everton’s 2-2 draw against Watford.
Kone who came on in the 62nd minute of the game had 17 touches of the ball and 91.7% Pass Accuracy.
ANTHONY UJAH
Super Eagles striker Anthony Ujah was one of the African, and particularly Nigerian stars that scored last weekend.
Ujah scored Weder Bremen’s first goal in their 2-0 win over Wuerzburger Kickers in the German DFB Pokal last weekend and is expected to lead the club’s line on Saturday in their Bundesliga opener against Schalke 04.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/african-team-of-the-week-in-europe/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:15pm On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Babangida Appointed Oliseh’s Adviser, On N600k Monthly
[/size]

By Richard Jideaka, Abuja:
Former Super Eagles winger Tijjani Babangida has expressed appreciation to the Nigeria Football Federation over his appointment as the Special Adviser on technical matters to Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh.
Babangida told Complete Sports on Thursday soon after picking up his appointment letter that it was a great honour to be considered worthy to serve his country adding that he will discharge his duties with all his heart like he did as a player.
Although, Babangida would not disclose the fInancial aspect of his appointment but feelers from the NFF secretariat revealed that the former Ajax Amsterdam star will be paid N600,000 every month.
“The job entails to serve, work, advise and guide Oliseh,” Babangida said. “We are very close friends and mates in our playing days with the national team. I think our combination with other backroom staff will see the return of the Eagles to the top.”
He revealed that Oliseh will meet with his assistant coaches and back room staff on Monday before he formally presents them to the players when the camp opens on August 17 in Abuja.
Babangida who is also the chairman of Nigeria Premier league side FC Taraba of Jalingo said that Oliseh is very capable of taking Super Eagles to greatness again, assuring he as SA will only support hIm with advice.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/babangida-appointed-olisehs-adviser-on-n600k-monthly/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:41pm On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Footballers Losing First Team Opportunities in Europe
[/size]
[img]http://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/football/188299-nigerian-footballers-losing-first-team-opportunities-in-europe.html[/img]
By Jide Alaka
Clubs in the various European leagues still have more than fourteen days to strengthen their squads. However, this strengthening will be at the expense of some players. We look at four Nigerian players who have may have lost their places to new acquisitions.
Efe Ambrose at Celtic
The Super Eagles defender is not finding things easy at Celtic this season. Even though he played his second 90- minutes in the League on Wednesday in a 2-2 draw with Kilmarnock, he did not feature in the first two matches of the new league season. The main reason he could become a perpetual bench warmer is the acquisition from Manchester City of Belgian defender, Dedrick Boyata. Boyata is already a crowd darling having scored twice in the Champions League - you may recall his the late goal against Qarabag in the last round. Ambrose has been shuffled from the centre of the defence to the right, depending on the availability of Boyata and he is going to have to do much more now to convince his manager, Ronny Deila, that he merits time on the pitch.
Osaze Odemwingie at Stoke City
There is no way that Stoke manager, Mark Hughes, will leave £12million purchase, Xherdan Shaqiri, on the bench for the Nigerian. Also, the addition of Ibrahim Afellay will severely limit the Nigerian's appearances for the Potters this season. There is also Marko Arnautovic and Jan Walters to contend with for the wide slots in attack. Odemwingie has a one-year extension at the Britannia and it could be his toughest test yet.
Brown Ideye at West Brom
Ideye has always had doubts concerning his ability to put the ball in the net consistently. Tony Pulis has shelled out a club record fee for Salomon Rondon and the loanee, Serge Gnabry from Arsenal. There is also his compatriot, Victor Anichebe, and Rickie Lambert. The path seems finally clear for the Nigerian to depart. In the forward slots, West Brom now have six players jostling for at best two places with Saido Berahino being almost guaranteed one of the spots.
Victor Anichebe at West Brom
The acquisition of burly forward, Rickie Lambert, from Liverpool is an indication that Anichebe would be at best a second choice as was shown on the first day of the season when they lost 3-0 to Manchester City. With a paltry return of just six goals in 46 league appearances, the striker should be looking for pastures anew.
In football, everything is not black and white. There are grey areas too. Anything can happen between now and the end of the transfer window but the situation looks uncertain for these players at the moment.
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201508131534.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:45pm On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Tanzania/Nigeria: Stars Warned Ahead of Nigeria Tie
[/size]
[img]http://afrine.ws/TQpz9n[/img]
Tanzania/Nigeria: Stars Warned Ahead of Nigeria Tie
The national soccer team, Taifa Stars, should carefully plot their battle ahead of the forthcoming African Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier against the Super Eagles of Nigeria, who are apparently desperate to fetch maximum points when the two sides face off early next month.
Taifa Stars under coach Charles Boniface Mkwasa are currently training at the Karume Memorial Stadium as they prepare for a crunch Group D encounter against the Super Eagles scheduled for September 5 at the National Stadium in Dar es Salaam.
Ahead of the match, Nigerian striker Gbolahan Salami warned the Taifa Stars, insisting that the Super Eagles were determined to take all three points from the game and boost their chances of qualifying to the next round.
The Warri Wolves goal poacher said that playing for the Eagles has always been very exciting and ensuring that the maximum points is secured against the Taifa Stars would be the ideal tonic for the Eagles' quest to qualify for the 2017 AFCON after the team's failure to play in the 2015 edition held in Equatorial Guinea.
"We are condemned to beat Tanzania away from home to stand a good chance of qualifying for the 2017 Afcon," Salami said.
"Everyone is still pained at our inability to play in Equatorial Guinea this year and we must do everything possible to qualify ahead of our opponents," he added. Salami was a prominent figure under former coach Stephen Keshi and scored the opening goal in June's 2-0 victory over Chad in Kaduna.
He expressed happiness at being invited by the new coach of the senior national team and promised to deliver if included in the final squad for the game, adding that he is more than ready to play under newly appointed Super Eagles head coach Sunday Oliseh.
"I am always happy to be invited to the national team and another call up to the Super Eagles won't be an exception," Salami told the goalkeeper.
The Wolves goal sensation promised Nigerians that the Eagles would be competitive and be poised to record an impressive result in Dar es Salam.
He has scored nine goals from 22 games this season and also added five goals in the 2015 Caf Confederation Cup before the Seasiders crashed out. He netted over 15 goals in the top plight last season.
Nigeria will visit the Stars seeking to maintain their winning start following a 2-0 triumph over Chad on match-day one, while for the Taifa Stars, the match presents a chance to bounce back from a 3-0 opening defeat away to Egypt.
The Stars moved into camp in Dar es Salaam on Sunday, where they will stay together for one week before departing for Istanbul, Turkey on August 23 this year, to set up a ten-day camp to prepare for their second match of the qualifiers.
In Turkey, Taifa Stars will play two friendly matches against Libya and Kuwait before returning back in the country to face the 'Super Eagles' of Nigeria.
With Agencies
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201508140824.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:51pm On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Imenger Says Oliseh's Home-Based List Short of Expectations
[/size]
[img]http://allafrica.com/view/group/main/main/id/00038093.html[/img]
The Super Eagles of Nigeria
By David Ngobua
Former Super Eagles player, Barnabas Imenger has picked holes in the recent list of 23 Home-based professionals released by newly appointed Technical Adviser Sunday Oliseh to begin preparations for the 2017 AFCON qualifying match against Tanzania.
Speaking to Daily Trust on Monday, the General Manager of Lobi Stars of Makurdi said he is not questioning the abilities of the players invited but they are certainly not the best the domestic league has to offer.
He said having been away for so many years, Oliseh does not know much about the league and had to depend on other coaches who helped him with the list of players.
"When I saw the list of players Oliseh has invited to kick-start preparations for the 2017 AFCON qualifiers, I knew immediately that he was not properly guided.
"What I know is that those who suggested the names to him brought in sentiments. They did not recommend some of the best legs we have in the domestic league.
"Some of us have been around for a long time so we know who is who in the league. If he wants to get the best on the local scene, he knows what to do," he said.
Imenger however said he is not out to run down any player saying he wants the coach to know that there are still some players who are far better than those he has invited.
"Some of the players deserve the invitation but I cannot say all of them are good enough for the invitation.
"Oliseh should visit league venues where he would identify more talented players for the Super Eagles," he said.
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201508131082.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:58pm On Aug 14, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria/Tanzania: S'eagles'll Beat Taifa Stars - Aikhomogbe
[/size]
By Augustine Akhilomen
Lagos — Ex international, Andrew Aikhomogbe ha revealed that the Super Eagles would overcome the threat been posed by the Taifas Stars of Tanzania ahead of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier.
Nigeria sits second behind the Pharaoh of Egypt on the same points but with goal diference separating both teams. The Super Eagles defeated La Sao of Chad 2-0 in Kaduna while Egypt walloped Tanzania 3-0 in the opening qualifying matches played in June.
Knowing fully that the top team from each group would qualify automatically for the bi-annual tournament, Aikhomogbe revealed to Daily Independent Correspondent that the team must beat Taifas Stars silly in Dar es Salaam on Saturday September 5.
"I personally believe the team has what it takes to qualify for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon. However, it will be too bad if the players or technical crew headed by coach Sunday Oliseh decide to underestimate Tanzania. They may not be in the same rank with the Super Eagles but then, they play as a team.
"Oliseh must ensure he gets a good result in Dar es Salaam to really prove to Nigerians that he's capable of handling the team. Yes, he can do it but he must have to take care of his own part to avoid any element of upset. I don't see Tanzania stopping the Super Eagles from qualifying for the Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon.
[/b]

allafrica.com/stories/201508140572.html
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:09pm On Aug 14, 2015
[size=14pt]
CSKA match winner pleases Ahmed Musa
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/559917/CSKA-match-winner-pleases-Ahmed-Musa[/img]
Ahmed Musa CSKA match winner again.
Nigeria international Ahmed Musa has told AfricanFootball.com he is delighted to score the winner for CSKA Moscow in a Moscow derby against Spartak.
CSKA won 2-1 with the Nigeria forward netting the winning goal.
CSKA Moscow lead the league table in Russia with 15 points from five games.
"I am very happy to score the goal that gave us victory. It was a derby and wasn't easy, we put in our best and were rewarded with victory,” Ahmed Musa told AfricanFootball.com
“I will keep working hard to get better every time."
Musa scored in the 35th minute to give his team a 2-0 lead.
He has now scored two goals in five games.

africanfootball.com/news/559917/CSKA-match-winner-pleases-Ahmed-Musa

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 182
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.