Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,292 members, 7,954,166 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:32 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (257716 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:58pm On Aug 15, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Babatunde Delighted With Debut Win With Dnipro
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Super Eagles forward Michael Babatunde came off the substitutes’ bench to make his official debut for Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk in Friday night’s 2-0 win over Shakhtar Donetsk at the Donbass Arena.
The Nigerian international who completed his move on Thursday replaced Valeriy Luchkevych in the 64th minute but had to give way in the 82nd minute for Bruno Gama due to a muscle pain in the ill-tempered game that saw nine yellow cards and one red card issued by Anatoliy Zhabchenko.
He however rued his missed chance on goal in the encounter.
“I’m very happy with my debut and should have scored but I was unlucky my header was deflected,” the Super Eagles 2014 World Cup star told comple tesportsnigeria.com moments after thr match.
“The coach had to replace me because we were under immense pressure from Shaktar but luckily we had a counter-attack which resulted in a goal two minutes when I was being treated on the side line.
“I’m fine and ready for the next game.”
Dnipro are now fourth on the log with eight points from five games. They face Balkany in the Ukrainan Cup before hosting Karpaty in their next league game.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/babatunde-delighted-with-debut-win-with-dnipro/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:01pm On Aug 15, 2015
[size=14pt]
Chat With Oliseh Live On Google+ Hangout!
[/size]

Nigerian fans have been presented with an awesome opportunity to chat with new Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh on social media platform, Google+ Hangout as sponsored by the Nigeria Football Federation – the organisers, Femi and the Gang, have hinted Comple tesportsnigeria.com
The online forum with Oliseh will kick off at 4pm on Monday, August 17 2015. Fans interested in talking football with the Eagles boss, face- to-face, should visit www.thenff.com/han gout for online registration. Femi and The Gang are the moderators of the Monday’s epoch-making online event.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/chat-with-oliseh-live-on-google-hangout/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:32pm On Aug 15, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Kurzawa Fate Stalls Echiejile’s Lille, Valencia Move
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Comple tesportsnigeria.com can exclusively report that the impending exit of Layvin Kurzawa from Monaco is stalling the departure of Elderson Echiejile from the club.
Kurzawa has been preferred to the Nigerian at left-back, leaving Echiejile looking elsewhere for regular football.
Echiejile is said to be wanted on loan by Lille and has attracted the interest of Valencia and Bundesliga runners-up Wolfsburg.
“Monaco are not prepared to allow both of them (Kurzawa and Echiejile) leave despite concrete interest in them,” a source close to Echiejile told comple tesportsnigeria.com.
“They’ll prefer to sell Kurzawa who they feel will command a huge fee.
“But Echiejile isn’t short of offers and will move in search of first team football if Kurzawa stays.”
Echiejile who is yet to feature in a competitive game for Monaco this season joined from SC Braga.
Kurzawa has been heavily linked with a summer move to Juventus and Paris Saint Germain.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/kurzawa-fate-stalls-echiejiles-lille-valencia-move/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:41pm On Aug 15, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Jordon Ibe: Still Struggling to Make up His Mind for Nigeria
[/size]

Jordon Ibe
When on his appointment as Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh declared that only players playing in the top divisions in Europe would henceforth be eligible to play for the senior national team, some of us knew it was a fallacy, considering that the number of Nigerian players plying their trade in top flight European leagues could be counted on our finger tips. Good a thing, the chief coach had since rescinded his decision.
One of the players on the mind of the man the Nigeria Football Federation boss, Amaju Pinnick, described as Nigeria’s version of ‘Pep Guardiola’, to prosecute his Africa Cup of Nations and World Cup qualifiers campaign is Liverpool winger, Jordon Ibe and he had since gone to Anfield in an attempt to convince the Reds winger. However, the England U-21 star wants up till next year to make up his mind. Kunle Adewale in this report asks if Ibe would not be another John Fashanu, whom after an initial green light showed that he would don the green-white-green of Nigeria opted to play for the Three Lions at the end of the day. That England eventually dumped him and Fash regretted his move is another argument entirely
Rumble at the Etihad as City, Chelsea Go for Broke
The Barclays Premier League kicked off last weekend with lots of astonishing results, with the top two London clubs -Chelsea and Arsenal surprising drawing and losing respectively at home. The battle for supremacy continues this weekend with many juicy fixtures and undoubtedly, the most scintillating would be the clash between defending champions and last season’s runners-up, Manchester City at the Emirate Stadium on Sunday.
The Citizens kick-started the season on a very inspiring note, beating West Bromwich Albion 3-0 at the Hawthorns. With Yaya Toure now back to the form he left two seasons ago, the Blues are definitely in for a tough time in their visit to the Eithad. Another interesting angle to the encounter is the animosity between the two managers, Manuel Pellegini and Jose Mourinho. Whichever way the tide turns, it is an encounter for the neutrals to enjoy
Manchester City’s Super Sunday showdown with reigning champions Chelsea is an early opportunity for Manuel Pellegrini to strike the first blow in the title race. City lagged eight points behind Chelsea as Jose Mourinho’s side eased to the title last season, but Sunday’s clash at the Etihad Stadium gives them the opportunity to open up an early five-point advantage.
"We can't go into the game thinking it's about winning the league but it will matter. We need to put in a great performance. I don’t think we’ll be looking at points too much but we want to beat them. It will be a good game. it's a big game so early on,” said City captain Vincent Kompany.
If City are to close last season’s gap on Chelsea this year, taking points off them directly would be a good way to start. After all, the difference between the Premier League winners and runners-up has been four points or less in five of the last 10 years.
Taking points off Mourinho’s Chelsea, however, is easier said than done. The Portuguese is the master of grinding out results, and his record against Chelsea’s title rivals since returning to the club two years ago is formidable.
He was unbeaten in 12 Premier League meetings against the rest of the top four since 2013. Against City last season there were 1-1 draws at the Etihad and Stamford Bridge, and in 2013/14 the Blues won both of their meetings with Pellegrini’s men.
Chelsea’s superior head-to-head record helped them clinch the title last season, but how do City’s results against the rest of the top four under Pellegrini compare?
Last season, City’s big-game struggles cost them dearly. While Chelsea won two and drew four of their six games against City, Arsenal and Manchester United, City only won once, drawing three times and losing twice. That record left them bottom of the head-to-head rankings, and it is certainly an area of improvement for Pellegrini.
Indeed, even when City did win the title in 2013/14, they only took seven points against Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal, nine fewer than Mourinho’s men. It was only thanks to Chelsea’s repeated slip-ups against lesser teams that City were able to make up the difference.
City did fare better back in 2012/13, taking 11 points from a possible 18, and victory over Chelsea on Sunday would give them an important head start in this fledgling campaign.
[/b]

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jordon-ibe-still-struggling-to-make-up-his-mind-for-nigeria/217547/
.....continue in the post
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:43pm On Aug 15, 2015
.....continue from the last post
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]

Chelsea’s failure to win the title in 2013/14 shows that winning the big games is not always decisive, but the stats indicate the perils of a poor record against your title rivals. In each of the last five Premier League seasons, the title-winning side has ranked at least second in the top four head-to-head rankings.
The title will not be won or lost at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday, but recent history shows the importance of a good head-to-head record against your title rivals. The possibility is there for City or Chelsea to gain what could eventually prove to be a significant advantage.
However, the Premier League season might be only a week old but Raheem Sterling already feels a win for Manchester City against Chelsea is 'vital' as he prepares to face the champions. The £49million signing and his new teammates look to build on an impressive start to the campaign after their 3-0 win at West Bromwich Albion on Monday night.
And while it's only early days yet, the visit of Chelsea to the Etihad Stadium on Sunday will represent an opportunity for both sides to throw down a marker in the title race.
Chelsea and City held the top two spots in the table last season but Sterling predicts the fight for supremacy will be more unpredictable this time around.
'It's going to be a really tough season. Everyone has strengthened their squads and the Premier League is always hard to second guess,” Sterling said.
Sterling predicts the Portuguese coach's side will be hard to beat on a big-game occasion once again, although he is looking forward to the challenge having netted against Chelsea for Liverpool in their Capital One Cup semi-final clash last season.
“Chelsea are very strong in every department, from their defence and midfield to their attack. It should be a good game and I'm really looking forward to playing in this match. I've done alright against them in the past and, results-wise, I think it's been pretty even overall so far in the matches I've played in. But I'm hoping this one will go our way and it's vital that it does. We're on our own ground and with it being our first home game of the season; we want to get off on the right foot,” the 20-year-old said.
Despite missing an excellent chance to open his account for Pellegrini's side at the Hawthorns, Sterling impressed on his full debut in the face of loud boos from home supporters unimpressed with his efforts to engineer an exit from Anfield this summer.
In addition to the pressures of arriving at a new club for a huge fee, Sterling has imposed his own targets on himself for the season, and he intends to start moving towards them on Sunday.
“The only promise I will make is that I will try my best at all times. I will aim to create and score as many goals as I can for the team and work really hard every week. I've set myself targets for goals and assists and I know where I want to be but I don't really want to reveal what they are because I'll put myself under massive pressure - but I've got personal goals that I want to reach this season for City and hopefully I can meet them,” he added.
Meanwhile, opening day flops Tottenham Hotspur and Stoke City go head –to-head at the White Hart Lane today. Spurs were the victim of an own goal loss to Manchester United, 0-1, during their opener last week as defender Kyle Walker accidentally bounced to ball to his own net after trying to guard Red Devils captain Wayne Rooney at the 22nd minute mark of their match in sunny Old Trafford.
Surprisingly, the Lilywhites were the more aggressive that day as Louis van Gaal's new acquisitions are still adapting to an league game. Still, the Manchester side escaped with a win as Tottenham failed to capitalize on their relentless attacks.
Interestingly, the Potters were also out of luck as they surrendered a 0-1 decision to Liverpool FC via a late winner by Brazilian winger Philippe Coutinho at the 86th minute. It was just an unfortunate break for Mark Hughes' men as they have kept their highly favoured opponents in check until the last four minutes of regulation time.
Both teams will be looking to come back from their opening day debacles, but Mauricio Pochettino's side is more determined and prepared besides being at home. The Spurs are also out to avenge their 1-2 loss the last time these two teams met on the same field in November of last year.
[/b]

www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jordon-ibe-still-struggling-to-make-up-his-mind-for-nigeria/217547/
.....continue in the next post
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:47pm On Aug 15, 2015
.....continue from the last post
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]

Meanwhile, former Liverpool and England defender, Jamie Carragher thinks that if Arsene Wenger's side is to be considered as serious title challengers this season, then they cannot afford to slip up again at Selhurst Park this weekend, saying however that the atmosphere at Palace over the last few seasons, ever since Tony Pulis did well with them, has made it a very difficult place for teams to go.
It is not the end of the world, Arsenal losing their first game, but they would not want to lose two out of two, and certainly not against teams we would not call giants of the Premier League in West Ham and Palace.
So it would be a really poor start for them if they did but they will be desperate to get three points on the board. But with players like Yohan Cabaye, Wilfried Zaha and Yannick Bolasie coming in, it is very difficult for teams to go there now.
Palace, over the last few years, have been built on energy within the team and from the crowd as well, which transmits itself to the players on the pitch in home games. And they have created that great atmosphere and made Selhurst Park a difficult place to go through high energy, enthusiasm, aggression, and making it difficult for teams.
But when you bring someone like Cabaye in, it just adds that extra bit of class that maybe was lacking at Palace. And I think that with the Premier League and the money involved, teams in the middle of the table can now go and buy players of this quality and add them to the team.
Credit to Alan Pardew, who had a relationship with him at Newcastle. There is no doubt he is a top-class player. And for Palace to get a player from PSG, just shows how far they have come and also the Premier League.
If Arsenal are entertaining any ideas of winning the league - which they should have, with the squad that they have got then you can probably only lose four or five games. Now if you lose two out of two, it puts you under massive pressure to go the next 36 games only losing two or three games, considering they still have all the big boys to play.
So it is a very important game for Arsenal, and it is vital they do not lose.
[/b]

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:58pm On Aug 15, 2015
[size=14pt]
Aggreh ready for Eagles test
[/size]

Prince Aggreh
By: Ojeikere Aikhoje
Sunshine Stars’ goalscoring winger Prince Aggreh wants to maximise his first invitation to the Super Eagles.
Aggreh has put his omission from the Flying Eagles squad that participated at the 2015 African Youth Championship and the Fifa Under-20 World Cup behind him to become one of the most entertaining players in the Glo Premier League this term.
“It’s a challenge for me and I’m ready for it. I’ve to maintain my form and I have to continue to do well for my club, Sunshine Stars.
“I know this is different from the Flying Eagles and calls for dedication to duty,” Aggreh told supersport.com.
A move from Bendel Insurance to Heartland in 2013 earned him a chance to play top flight football.

mobi.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/150814/Aggreh_ready_for_Eagles_test
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:02pm On Aug 15, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Adepoju: Why Top European Clubs Ignore Nigerian Players
[/size]
By James Agberebi:
Former Nigeria international, Mutiu Adepoju, has stated that the current state of the Super Eagles may not be unconnected to reasons why tops clubs are not keen on Nigerian players.
“I don’t think there has been a lot of movement on the part of Nigerian players,” Adepoju told comple tesportsnigeria.com.
“There are some that have moved but it hasn’t been that much.
“But for me, I feel one of the reasons why we don’t get to see much of Nigerian players moving to big clubs during the transfer market has to do with the current state of the national team.
“We’ve not been doing well and that I believe is why big clubs don’t show interest in Nigerian players.”
Meanwhile, Nigerian players who have moved during this transfer market include Anthony Ujah from Mainz 05 to Werder Bremen, Leon Balogun who switched from newly promoted Darmsdart to Mainz 05, Michael Babatunde crossing over to Dnipro from Volyn.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/adepoju-why-top-european-clubs-ignore-nigerian-players/

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:53pm On Aug 15, 2015
[size=14pt]
Emenike brace gives Al Ain Super Cup
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/560047/Emenike-brace-gives-Al-Ain-Super-Cup[/img]
Emenike brace gives Al Ain Super Cup.
Emmanuel Emenike scored twice as Al Ain beat Al Nasr 4-2 to win this year’s UAE Super Cup.
Nigeria striker Emenike, who is on loan from Turkish club Fenerbache, was on target in the fourth minute for the opening goal and he completed his brace in the 72ndminute.
Al Nasr drew level in the 50thminute through Jamal Ibrahim Moroof and scored a late goal in stoppage time to put some respectability in the scoreline.
Last week, Emenike helped his team clinch another trophy in Morocco.
It is now left to be seen if new Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh will pick Emenike for next month's AFCON qualifier in Tanzania.

africanfootball.com/news/560047/Emenike-brace-gives-Al-Ain-Super-Cup
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:55pm On Aug 15, 2015
[size=14pt]
2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria
Injury scare for Babatunde on Dnipro debut
[/size]

Babatunde Michael - Injury scare on Dnipro debut.
Nigeria international Michael Babatunde debuted for his new Ukrainian club Dnipro on Friday in a 2-0 win at Shakhtar Donetsk.
The former Volyn forward, who signed a year’s deal with Dnipro Thursday, had an injury scare in the game as he was substituted after just 18 minutes on the pitch due to kicks from Shakhtar Donetsk players.
He was a 64th minute substitute for Valeriy Luchkevysh, but had to give way to Bruno Vilela in the 82nd minute.
He almost made it a goal-scoring debut, but his effort at goal via a header was blocked away from goal.

africanfootball.com/news/559919/Injury-scare-for-Babatunde-on-Dnipro-debut
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:02pm On Aug 15, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Dele Alli eager for EPL home debut
[/size]

Dele Alli eager for EPL debut at White Hart Lane
Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli is eager to experience the White Hart Lane atmosphere for the first time as Spurs host Stoke City on Saturday.
The Nigerian-born ace made his debut during last weekend in 1-0 loss to Manchester United at Old Trafford as a late substitute.
“I can’t wait for my first home game! It will be amazing to experience the atmosphere created by all the Tottenham fans - obviously they were great at Old Trafford last week but I’m really excited to finally go out and play at home with everyone right behind the team," the 19-year-old told the club's official website.
“I’ve been to a few games at White Hart Lane before to watch matches, but it’d be amazing to play there. It’s up to the gaffer if I play or not, but I’ll be working as hard as I can on and off the pitch so that if he calls upon me I’m ready.”
Alli also revealed that he has spoken to several of his colleagues about last season's disappointing results against Stoke and vowed to do everything in his power to ensure that Spurs can secure all three points this weekend.
“A couple of the boys have spoken about the previous results against Stoke so we want to make that right this weekend,” he said.
“We’ll take each game as it comes and we’re going to work hard, put our all into it and do as well as we can.”
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/559921/Dele-Alli-eager-for-EPL-home-debut
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:47am On Aug 17, 2015
[size=14pt]
Ezenwa bullish of his chances with Eagles
[/size]
Sunshine Stars shot stopper and former youth international Ikechukwu Ezenwa has told AfricanFootball.comhe will make his latest invitation to the Super Eagles camp count.
Twenty-three players from the domestic league will begin a training camp in Abuja today ahead of next month’s AFCON qualifier in Tanzania.
Ezenwa said he was elated by his latest form that has seen him make the starting position for title-chasing Sunshine Stars a permanent one and hope to carry such form to the camp of the Eagles to convince the national team selectors pick him ahead of others.
“I have been there before and by the grace of God, I hope that this invitation will count for me in the eye of the selectors,” he told AfricanFootball.com.
“It is my desire to be the best between the sticks for the Super Eagles and I am on the form of my life to achieve this.”

thenationonlineng.net/ezenwa-bullish-of-his-chances-with-eagles/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:47am On Aug 17, 2015
[size=14pt]
Ezenwa bullish of his chances with Eagles
[/size]
Sunshine Stars shot stopper and former youth international Ikechukwu Ezenwa has told AfricanFootball.comhe will make his latest invitation to the Super Eagles camp count.
Twenty-three players from the domestic league will begin a training camp in Abuja today ahead of next month’s AFCON qualifier in Tanzania.
Ezenwa said he was elated by his latest form that has seen him make the starting position for title-chasing Sunshine Stars a permanent one and hope to carry such form to the camp of the Eagles to convince the national team selectors pick him ahead of others.
“I have been there before and by the grace of God, I hope that this invitation will count for me in the eye of the selectors,” he told AfricanFootball.com.
“It is my desire to be the best between the sticks for the Super Eagles and I am on the form of my life to achieve this.”

thenationonlineng.net/ezenwa-bullish-of-his-chances-with-eagles/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:52pm On Aug 17, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria plan 4-nation tourney for CHAN
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/560460/Nigeria-plan-4-nation-tourney-for-CHAN[/img]
Nigeria vs Zambia at the ABS in November 2011.
NFF match agent Ebi Egbe has revealed plans are underway for a four-nation tourney that could include Zambia and Angola ahead of next year’s CHAN in Rwanda.
Egbe after a meeting, with top NFF officials in Abuja disclosed that though arrangements for the tourney are not yet concluded countries like Zambia, Cape Verde and Angola are likely to feature at the tourney.
"We have begun talks with countries like Zambia, Cape Verde, Angola to see how we can organise a four nation tourney," Egbe told AfricanFootball.com
"The essence is to help the home Eagles prepare for the CHAN championship next year and for Nigerians to have a feel of what Sunday Oliseh has in store for the national team.
"Although we are yet to pick a date and a host venue, the tourney would happen before the CHAN championship in Rwanda next year."
In October, Nigeria will take on Burkina Faso for a place in the 2016 CHAN.
Nigeria placed third on their CHAN debut appearance last year in South Africa.
By Arafat Aliu
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/560460/Nigeria-plan-4-nation-tourney-for-CHAN
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:53pm On Aug 17, 2015
[size=14pt]
Martins Scores Twice In Sounders Return
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Nigerian striker Obafemi Martins capped his return to action after almost three months with a bang when he scored twice as Seattle Sounders ended their six-game winless streak with a 4-0 mauling of Orlando City at the CenturyLink Field on Sunday night.
The forward suffered a serious injury in Seattle’s US Open Cup loss to the Portland Timbers in June and returned to the Seattle Sounders starting line-up for the first time in ten weeks.
He gave his side a deserved lead in the 17th minute.
He then sealed the win in the 62nd minute after debutant Nelson Haedo Valdez had doubled the advantage ten minutes earlier.
Martins has now scored nine goals in 13 MLS games this season.
Sounders’ next game is against Olimpia in the CONCACAF Champions League on Thursday.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/martins-scores-twice-in-sounders-return/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 17, 2015
List of Super Eagles Invited Players by Sunday Oliseh
Keepers
Vicent Enyeama (Lille, France)
Carl Ikeme (Wolves England)

Defenders
Leon Balogun (Mainz 05, Germany)
Kingsley Madu (AS Trencin, Slovakia)
Godfrey Oboabona (Caykur Rizespor, Turkey)
Williams Troost Ekong (FK Haugesung, Norway)
Kenneth Omeruo (Kasimpasa SK, Turkey)

Midfielders
Joel Obi (Torino, Italy)
Izunna Ernest Uzochukwu (FC Amkar Perm, Russia)
Obiora Nwankwo (Coimbra FC, Portugal) Lukman Haruna (Anzhi Russia)
Rabiu Ibrahim (AS Trencin, Slovakia)

Forward
Ahmed Musa (CSKA Moscow, Russia)
Emem Oduok (Esperance, Tunisia)
Emmanuel Emenike (Al - Ain, UAE)
Anthony Ujah (Werder Bremen, Germany)
Sylvester Igboun ( FC UFA, Russia)
Moses Simon (KAA Gent, Belgium)

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:27pm On Aug 17, 2015
adeyemi2015:
Keepers

Defenders

Midfielders
Joel Obi (Torino, Italy)

Forward

Im not sure NFF didn't just erase Keshi's name from the heading.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:50pm On Aug 19, 2015
adeyemi2015:
Keepers

Defenders

Midfielders
Joel Obi (Torino, Italy)

Forward
Adeyemi2015 and Vascovanveli what do you think about Odion Ighalo's absence from this list? I see him currently as our best striker.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:52pm On Aug 19, 2015
As in?
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh blasts NPFL clubs over non-release of players
[/size]
Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh, has lashed out at Nigeria league clubs for keeping away their players from the team training camp in Abuja.
Oliseh invited 23 players from the domestic league, but only 14 outfield players attended the first training session held on Tuesday morning.
“Those who are commenting or laying emphasis on the fact that we rely mainly on foreign players to play should start asking questions because we are back home to train and we don’t have people to train,” africanFootball.com quoted the Eagles’ coach as saying after Tuesday’s training session.
“The clubs are trying to hold on to their players. So, how do we now want them to learn and catch up with the ones that are in front of them?
“You can see that it affected our training, we have to change our training programme. We had invited 23 and we ended up with 14 field players. So, I will leave you to judge from this.”
Oliseh has said he will draft five players from this training camp to join the 18 foreign players he called up for next month’s African Nations Cup qualifier in Tanzania.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/oliseh-blasts-npfl-clubs-over-non-release-of-players/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:54pm On Aug 19, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

Im not sure NFF didn't just erase Keshi's name from the heading.
As in?
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:15pm On Aug 19, 2015
Orkpekyandega:

Adeyemi2015 and Vascovanveli what do you think about Odion Ighalo's absence from this list? I see him currently as our best striker.

It was actually a shock to me also because the guy was raining goals this pre-season plus he can also play behind the striker which he did for his club last year, but at the same time Oliseh is on a rescue mission with Eminike sort of like Colombia is with Falcoa and either Ujah or Ighalo had to go. I personally cannot give any logical reason for dropping our best player in our last game -1 goal 1 assist-but alltogether i don't care who plays i just want to see good football being played and if im not asking too much can we go into half time with a lead just once.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:44pm On Aug 19, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

It was actually a shock to me also because the guy was raining goals this pre-season plus he can also play behind the striker which he did for his club last year, but at the same time Oliseh is on a rescue mission with Eminike sort of like Colombia is with Falcoa and either Ujah or Ighalo had to go. I personally cannot give any logical reason for dropping our best player in our last game -1 goal 1 assist-but alltogether i don't care who plays i just want to see good football being played and if im not asking too much can we go into half time with a lead just once.
And to remember that Sunday Oliseh was always a torn in the flesh of Stephen Keshi. Whenever Keshi released his list of players, Oliseh was always one of the first Ex-Internationals to query Keshi.
Imaging Oliseh telling Keshi to manage the ego of some stubborn player, telling Keshi that players like Micheal Olaitan and Iheanacho were ripe for World Cup. Now he has left one of our best strikers out of this make or mar match against Tanzania.
Now that he is there, very soon he will start hearing from impatient Nigerian fans.
I have nothing against Oliseh, I respect his technical prowress as far as football analysis is concerned. Now is time to put it to good use and put a big smile on our faces. We have been starved of good football and good winnings.
Go Eagles Go.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:58pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh defends Ighalo’s omission from Eagles squad
[/size]
Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh, has insisted he cannot call up all the country’s top stars at once and asked Watford striker Odion Ighalo to wait for his turn in the team.
Ighalo was a major omission from an 18-man list of foreign-based players invited by Oliseh for next month’s African Nations Cup qualifier in Tanzania, africanFootball.com reports.
Ighalo scored his first Eagles goal in a 2-0 home win over Chad in June AFCON qualifier and he got off to a flying start in the English Premier League with a goal on the opening day of the season.
“We can only play 11 players at once. We have two other strikers we want to try out,” africanFootball.com quoted the Super Eagles coach as saying in response to questions over Ighalo’s exclusion.
Russia-based Sylvester Igboun and Esperance striker Emem Eduok have been considered ahead of the former Flying Eagles skipper.
Ighalo told africanFootball.com he was disappointed not be called up, but hopes to continue working hard at his English club.
Oliseh also restated his resolve to adopt “a winning style of play.”
“We are starting from the scratch, but with time I hope for a winning style of play,” he promised.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/oliseh-defends-ighalos-omission-from-eagles-squad/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:03pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh releases NPFL players for league matches
• Federation Cup ties too • Players expected in camp Thursday
[/size]
Super Eagles’ technical crew has released the duo of Samson Gbadebo (Lobi Stars) and Orji Kalu(Enugu Rangers) to feature for their respective clubs in the semi-final of the Federation Cup which holds today in Katsina’s Karkanda International Stadium.
Lobi Stars and Enugu Rangers will slug it out for the sole ticket to the final of the Federation Cup and the two players who only reported to camp on Monday evening were allowed to reunite with their team mates after they were permitted to travel yesterday for today’s tie.
Gbadebo has been one of the outstanding players for Lobi since he joined the team last season while Orji performed creditably with Heartland before he crossed over to Enugu Rangers at the beginning of the season.
The Media Officer of the Super Eagles who briefed SportingLife on the development revealed that the players and other ones that were held back by their clubs because of today’s league matches are expected to return to camp in Abuja before the end of activities on Thursday.
Presently 16 players are in camp and they trained under the watchful eyes of Sunday Oliseh, the Eagles boss and his assistants yesterday.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/oliseh-releases-npfl-players-for-league-matches/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:05pm On Aug 19, 2015
[size=14pt]
Gbolahan to captain Home Eagles
[/size]
The Chief Coach of the Super Eagles, Sunday Oliseh who had a full training session with Nigeria’s national team at the main bowl of the national team is gradually relying on the Warri Wolves Football Club striker Gbolahan Dada Salami to captain the home boys in the team while on national duty.
Although the coach has not made it public but feelers from the team pointed to the fact that Salami is favoured to guide the Nigeria based players in the team under the supervision of the team’s Chief Coach.
“The popular thinking in camp now is that Salami is the right man to captain the Nigeria based Super Eagles’ players since he is arguably one of the senior players in camp. Oliseh also likes the boy and relates with him very well in the two training sessions the team had yesterday”, the impeccable source disclosed.

thenationonlineng.net/gbolahan-to-captain-home-eagles/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:30pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
POLL: Ighalo, not Mikel, most surprising exclusion by Oliseh
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/cb/1d/nigeria-chad-150613_1xone4xb32dmr1oy5smbgyfm2r.jpg?t=-278338659&w=620&h=430[/img]
Fans have expressed their views about the excluded players from the first list of foreign-based players called up by the Super Eagles coach on Monday
In a sign of changing fortunes for Nigerian players, readers of Goal have declared the exclusion of Odion Ighaloas the most surprising among all major names left out by coach Sunday Oliseh.
The Watford striker was voted far ahead of the Chelsea duo of John Obi Mikel and Victor Moses as well as Manchester City youngster Kelechi Iheanacho.
A massive52.1per cent of Goal readers named Ighalo as their most surprising exclusion from Oliseh’s 18-man list of Europe-based players, which included recalls for strikers Emmanuel Emenike and Anthony Ujah.

The voting stats show just how much Ighalo’s stock has risen since he scored his first goal for the Super Eagles against Chad in June, as well as his blistering start to the English Premier League season where he has scored once after two matches.
Coach Oliseh has explained the decision not to invite the forward.
“Well, Odion Ighalo is in our plans but for this first game against Tanzania, we are only inviting two players for each position,” Oliseh told media on Tuesday.
"We are trying to get competition into positions. It is useless bringing in three professional players for the same position, paying their flight tickets and everything, bringing strikers and not being able to use one or two of them.”
Meanwhile, confidence in midfielder Mikel’s abilities has continued to dip as he has failed to start a game with the Blues this season, and it was responsible for him coming second with17.3per cent of votes in the Goal poll.
His team mate Victor Moses also polled14.3per cent while youngster Iheanacho finished surprisingly fourth with12.5per cent as many await his first call up to the Super Eagles.
Find below the full voting results:
17.3% John Obi Mikel
52.1% Odion Ighalo
14.3% Victor Moses
12.5% Kelechi Iheanacho
0.5% John Ogu
2.8% Babatunde Michael
0% Anderson Esiti
0.5% Aaron Samuel
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4093/nigeria/2015/08/19/14568532/poll-ighalo-not-mikel-most-surprising-exclusion-by-oliseh
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:38pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo is in my plans for Afcon qualifiers, insists Oliseh
[/size]

The Watford forward’s exclusion from the list of foreign-based professionals for the Eagles game against Tanzania has generated mixed reaction
Nigeria head coach Sunday Oliseh insists Odion Ighalo is still in his plans for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers despite not inviting him for next month's game against Tanzania.
The 26-year-old, who was on target in the Super Eagles’ 2-0 victory against Chad in June, made a goal scoring debut in the English Premier League in Watford’s 2-2 draw against Everton at Goodison Park.
There was no place for him in the 18-man list of foreign-based pros for the game against the Taifa Stars, and Oliseh, while responding to questions after his first training with the senior team, said Ighalo’s exclusion doesn’t mean he is not in his plans.
“Well, Odion Ighalo is in our plans but for this first game against Tanzania, we are only inviting two players for each position,” Oliseh told the media.
"We are trying to get competition into positions. It is useless bringing in three professional players for the same position, paying their flight tickets and everything, bringing strikers and not being able to use one or two of them.
"So, in that also we have to take time. Also, I think we have some heavy weights in [Emmanuel] Emenike and [Anthony] Ujah for that position and if need be, we might play the two of them.
“But if we want the best in our players we have to give them some respect. Emenike is a Nations Cup winner, a strong player, Ujah scored ten goals in the German League. We are talking about a league that hosts the world champions.
Oliseh also hit out at local clubs for not releasing players to the national team for the camp which kicked off on Tuesday.
"Those who are commenting or laying emphasis on the fact that we rely mainly on foreign players to play should start asking questions because we are back home to train and we don't have people to train because every club is trying to hold on to them," he said.
"So, how do we now want them to learn and catch up with the ones that are in front of them. You can see that it affected our training today, we have to change our training from the beginning. We had invited 23 and we ended up with 14 players. So, I will leave you to judge from this,” he concluded.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4093/nigeria/2015/08/18/14553812/ighalo-is-in-my-plans-for-afcon-qualifiers-insists-oliseh
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:02pm On Aug 19, 2015
[size=14pt]
Emenike major doubt for Al Ain opening game
[/size]

Emenike is injured
Nigeria international Emmanuel Emenike is a major doubt for the Arabian Gulf League opener for Al Ain when they start their title defence on Friday at home to Al Dhafra.
The Nigeria striker, who is on a season-long loan deal from Fenerbahce, suffered muscle injury in the Super Cup game in which they beat Al Nasr 4-2 with Emenike getting a brace.
Croatian coach Zlatko Dalic has dropped Emenike from the starting squad based on team's doctor recommendation on the player in order not to aggravate the muscle injury to the player, who the team believe is important to the team throughout the season.
It is now left to be seen if this injury will stop Emenike from next month’s AFCON qualifier in Tanzania.

africanfootball.com/news/561065/Emenike-major-doubt-for-Al-Ain-opening-game
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:11pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
I am active only on Instagram – Enyeama
[/size]
Vincent Enyeama has denied owning any other social media account.
He did this on Monday evening via his Instagram handle (vinny2908) after being notified of such phony accounts.
He claimed to be recently aware of accounts created in his name and used for extortion and informed that he was not active on any other social media except Instagram.
“It just got to my notice that people are using my name on Facebook and other social media sites to make promises or extort money from people. I am not active on any other social media network except here on Instagram”.
He also advised his fans to be careful of whom they interact with on social media.
It just got to my notice that people are using my name on Facebook and other social media sites to make promises or extort money from people.i am not active on any other social media network except here on INSTAGRAM.please be careful of who you chat with and give out your details to.the only handle to meet and chat with VINCENT ENYEAMA is here @vinny2908.thank you and God bless.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/i-am-active-only-on-instagram-enyeama/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:22pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria
FIFA will commend Nigeria for staging Sierra Leone matches - NFF
[/size]

NFF president Pinnick
President of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Amaju Pinnick, has said he expects the country to get a pat on the back from FIFA and CAF for agreeing for Ebola-affected Sierra Leone to stage their AFCON qualifiers in the country.
Nigeria have agreed to stage an AFCON qualifying match between the reigning African champions Cote d’Ivoire and Sierra Leone.
The game will be played at either the Teslim Balogun Stadium in Lagos or the Adokiye Amiesiamaka Stadium in Port Harcourt on Sunday, September 6.
“Once more, our country has an opportunity to underscore its leadership role on the African continent, nay global sphere (by allowing Sierra Leone to play in Nigeria), “ Pinnick said.
“We are talking of hosting the African champion team, with the likes of African Player of the Year Yaya Toure and others, and this will certainly earn us commendation from CAF and FIFA.”
Sierra Leone will be in Nigeria with a delegation of 32, made up of mostly overseas –based professionals, coaches and officials of the SLFA, to be led by president Isha Johansen.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/561028/FIFA-will-commend-Nigeria-for-staging-Sierra-Leone-matches-NFF
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:42pm On Aug 19, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh Offers Hope To Martins, IK Uche.
[/size]

—Super Eagles Coach To Scout North America For Players
By James Agberebi:
Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh, has offered some hope to the likes of Obafemi Martins, Bright Dike and Ikechukwu Uche by stating that invitation to the senior national team is not going to be focused mainly on European-based players, as he plans to explore North America for Nigerian players.
Oliseh made this known during a Google Hangout session, which was monitored by comple tesportsnigeria.com.
“We have our own little scouting network and I personally I am in charge of the European arm of it,” Oliseh said.
“But we are still looking out to try and see how we can get some people into the North American scene to see what is available for us there.”
Martins was out injured for almost three months but returned over the weekend to score twice for Seattle Sounders, while Uche is yet to gain full fitness since joining Mexican top flight side Tigres, Copa Libertadores losing finalists.
Former Eagles skipper Oliseh pointed out that he will be working with a number of players who can play the creative position which has been problematic for the team for years now.
He added: “Concerning the play-maker role, we have some players already. We cannot give it out to just one player because of the modern football evolution. But we have certain players in the team who can share that responsibility.
“We are going to start working on them in training especially from the home-based and then we will migrate them into the foreign-based that will be coming in some weeks time.”
He also said that the introduction of young players will be done gradually, as he will still be banking on some experienced players.
“Introducing young players into the team, for me it is a gradual process, we have to take it step by step,” he said.
“But it doesn’t matter whether young or old, what is important is that there are certain positions that you also need some degree of experience. So we have to see what is available to us.”
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.mobi/readNewsItem1.php?nid=13428
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:46pm On Aug 19, 2015
.....continue in the next post
[b][size=14pt]
Q&A with defender William Troost-Ekong – What he loves most about the Super Eagles
[/size]

By Lolade Adewuyi
When you made your debut for the Eagles in June, the team had just come together for its first game after the Afcon debacle, was there disappointment among the squad and how did they gather together to defeat Chad?
I didn't experience that like they did, but there was a real focus to look forward to the opening game of the new campaign against Chad and the games that followed in order to restore Nigeria's reputation.
You played well with Kenneth Omeruo in central defense, it was the first time both of you combined, how was it comfortable reading him and do you think you can continue to build on this partnership?
It is up to coach Oliseh who he wants to play. I think my first outing with Kenneth went well, he is a good player and having both played in Holland and England at certain levels it made it easier to read each others style. I will be competing for my place in the starting team again.
Who made it easiest for you to settle into camp when you arrived in June and how were you received by the bulk of players?
The bulk, like I mentioned earlier everyone from the players to the technical staff were welcoming and you earn the respect on the pitch.
The most experienced player in the squad is goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama who spoke to the younger players about forgetting the debacle of the Afcon crash, how were you able to play in front of him without getting jitters during your debut?
That was an important factor. Vincent is a great keeper and leader so having that kind of experience behind you during a game gives you the confidence to excel and execute my task within the team well.
You have played in three matches for Haugesund, starting well you won two and lost one, how important is it that you have a good season at the Norwegian side before returning to Gent?
It is always important to have a good season. I ended last season in Holland well which earned me my move to Gent, now I want to continue to build on that in Norway. I think I am making a good impression here too. Playing time in a top flight is most important for any player to progress in their career.
How important is it to get three points in Dar es Salam next month? Do you think this Nigeria team has overcome the shock of missing the last Afcon?
It is very important. We plan to build on the start against Chad and I think the right mindset, hard work and quality is there to qualify for the next Afcon.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4078/exclusives/2015/08/22/14649762/qa-with-defender-william-troost-ekong-what-he-loves-most

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (161) (Reply)

Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting? / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.