Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE (14306 Views)

Nigeria Failed To Harness Massive Biafra Technological Inventions - Garba Shehu / We Need Good Leadership In The SE Not Biafra. / In One Year, Obiano Has Carried Out Silent Revolution In Anambra –bianca Ojukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 10:27am On May 22, 2015
The Governors of the SE should come together and see how they could make Obuaku seaport a reality. This will ensure direct access to the sea from the SE and should be able to berth large ocean liners. let us see how we can achieve this with or without the support of the FG.

What can our Governors/leaders do to completely unlock and harness the potentials of our people in the SE. Can we select one of our states to act as a centre to drive massive economic & technological revolution in the SE?

I am calling on my Igbo brothers & sisters on nairaland to come contribute meaningfully on this thread. I want us to create a model such that the SE will be like another country in Nigeria. How can we work this out? This is a time to make sacrifices and think outside the box.

Umu nwanem, aname kene unu. Udo diri anyi. cool

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 10:28am On May 22, 2015
Sunnybobo3

Babyosisi

Tonychristopher

GenIgrigi

Customized07

BuddahMonk

Ozoigbondu
Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 10:56am On May 22, 2015
we have a seaport already in onitsha. Buhari should dreg that river and expand the port.

udo diri gi

2 Likes

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 10:58am On May 22, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

The Governors of the SE should come together and see how they could make Obuaku seaport a reality. This will ensure direct access to the sea from the SE and should be able to berth large ocean liners. let us see how we can achieve this with or without the support of the FG.

What can our Governors/leaders do to completely unlock and harness the potentials of our people in the SE. Can we select one of our states to act as a centre to drive massive economic & technological revolution in the SE?

I am calling on my Igbo brothers & sisters on nairaland to come contribute meaningfully on this thread. I want us to create a model such that the SE will be like another country in Nigeria. How can we work this out? This is a time to make sacrifices and think outside the box.

Umu nwanem, aname kene unu. Udo diri anyi. cool

and you cannot do with out the support of FG on this one. that is Why we would need the services of seasoned igbo political negotiators like Owelle Rochas

6 Likes

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 11:00am On May 22, 2015
shachris03:

and you cannot do with out the support of FG on this one. that is Why we would need the services of seasoned igbo political negotiators like Owelle Rochas

That is welcome then. Whatever it takes, let's just get this done.

1 Like

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 11:01am On May 22, 2015
shachris03:
we have a seaport already in onitsha. Buhari should dreg that river and expand the port.

udo diri gi

Will the expansion and dredging give us direct access to the sea such that large ocean liners can berth there?

2 Likes

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by OduaVanguard: 11:01am On May 22, 2015
shachris03:

udo diri gi

Nna, why couldn't/didn't Ndigbo agitate for such dredging during Ebele Azikiwe's tenure? Or were the leaders then drinking palm wine in Abuja all that while? ?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 11:07am On May 22, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

Will the expansion and dredging give us direct access to the sea such that large ocean liners can berth there?

of course. river niger links directly to the Atlantic ocean. once it's dregged So that heavier vessels can dock, it would open the area up to accept heavy liners.

1 Like

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 11:08am On May 22, 2015
OduaVanguard:

Nna, why couldn't/didn't Ndigbo agitate for such dredging during Ebele Azikiwe's tenure? Or were the leaders then drinking palm wine in Abuja all that while? ?

this thread is for Ndi igbos and not some perverted child abusers

10 Likes

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by socialmediaman: 11:11am On May 22, 2015
You made a lot of sense here, I would suggest the south east governors come together, get the best technology technocrats available, draw a proposal and Masterplan for development and investment recoup, then sell the idea to billionaires from the south east all over the world, or approach foreign partners like Chinese or Israelis for a joint venture partnership deal.

2 Likes

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 11:12am On May 22, 2015
socialmediaman:
You made a lot of sense here, I would suggest the south east governors come together, get the best technology technocrats available, draw a proposal and Masterplan for development and investment recoup, then sell the idea to billionaires from the south east all over the world, or approach foreign partners like Chinese or Israelis for a joint venture partnership deal.

billionaires Don't build seaports. it's the government that has to do that.
Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 11:13am On May 22, 2015
shachris03:

of course. river niger links directly to the Atlantic ocean. once it's dregged So that heavier vessels can dock, it would open the area up to accept heavy liners.

Let us make that a priority in the SE. All our Governors and leaders should join hands and ensure that we have direct access to the Atlantic. That would be a major game changer.
Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 11:14am On May 22, 2015
shachris03:

Read my article again. Government or no Government, let us take our destiny in our hands and get this done. Remember the goal is to try and create a sort of country inside Nigeria.
Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by truefact: 11:15am On May 22, 2015
OduaVanguard:

Irrespective of anything, you are right. .. I wonder what was wrong too

3 Likes

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by socialmediaman: 11:15am On May 22, 2015
shachris03:

I'm talking about funding here. The south east governors don't have such financial capacity at the moment, they need investors and partners
Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 11:15am On May 22, 2015
OduaVanguard:

Did you read my article at all? We are not taking our agitation to Buhari. I am saying that all Igbo leaders should join hands/resources and whatever it takes to make this happen. If Buhari decides to help, then fine.

1 Like

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Utchgirl(f): 11:18am On May 22, 2015
OduaVanguard:

Tribalism is nt allowed in dis thread.

1 Like

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 11:19am On May 22, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

Did you read my article at all? We are not taking our agitation to Buhari. I am saying that all Igbo leaders should join hands/resources and whatever it takes to make this happen. If Buhari decides to help, then fine.

you can't do without the federal government on this. they have to give their approval first. A project as big as what you are proposing must have the federal government approval.
Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 11:21am On May 22, 2015
socialmediaman:

I'm talking about funding here. The south east governors don't have such financial capacity at the moment, they need investors and partners

Yes they do. But it must be a PPP before any sane investor would agree to set down his money. you need the FG

1 Like

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by omonnakoda: 11:22am On May 22, 2015
I think some people like to engage in fantasy.
What is the international politics of the River Niger?
Where is its origin?
Which countries have the right to dam the Niger?
Who is doing so currently and who has future plans to do so?
Will the River Niger always be there as we know it?

Assuming that is the case and it can be dredged by the FG to allow large ships( an unrealistic feat technically) what would be the enviromental impact or do we assume we can do what we like without consequences upstream even outside Nigeria?

How many international ships will agree to enter Nigeria and be permitted to do so by their insurers
Is Onitsha the only town along the Niger that needs to have the so called port why is it the most deserving ?
Why not Niger,Kogi,Kwara states?
They voted for Buhari and they also want their own "Niger bridges" too .The river Niger is not River Onitsha.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by OduaVanguard: 11:24am On May 22, 2015
Utchgirl:

Tribalism is nt allowed in dis thread.

There is nothing tribalistic in what I said. If anything I support the idea BUT isn't it valid to also ask why they didn't make such an ambition a priority when at the corridors of power? They could have perhaps prodded GEJ to act or endorse the idea. That coulda went a long way in at least kick start something in that direction.

2 Likes

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 11:26am On May 22, 2015
omonnakoda:
Where is its origin?

Assuming that is the case and it can be dredged by the FG to allow large ships( an unrealistic feat technically) what would be the enviromental impact or do we assume we can do what we like without consequences upstream even outside Nigeria?

How many international ships will agree to enter Nigeria and be permitted to do so by their insurers
Is Onitsha the only town along the Niger that needs to have the so called port why is it the most deserving ?
They voted for Buhari and they also want their own "Niger bridges" too .The river Niger is not River Onitsha.

noted. do you know any other water channels in the east that can be upped to allow a port to be built? we need constructive criticisms here.
Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Schematics: 11:28am On May 22, 2015
Why are you always crying over issues that is not even remotely affecting you and leaving those ones that is destroying you and your people? I have been viewing to see you on the below thread but NO you have suddenly gone to Jamaica only returned on seeing the Igbos your nightmares!

https://www.nairaland.com/2329770/salaries-strike-imminent-18-states

My friend get a life or this your pervasive state of mind will destroy you!

omonnakoda:
Where is its origin?

7 Likes

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Utchgirl(f): 11:28am On May 22, 2015
OduaVanguard:

There is nothing tribalistic in what I said. If anything I support the idea BUT isn't it valid to also ask why they didn't make such an ambition a priority when at the corridors of power? They could have perhaps prodded GEJ to act or endorse the idea. That coulda went a long way in at least kick start something in that direction.

plz let us be

1 Like

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by zimoni(f): 11:28am On May 22, 2015
That's a very good idea.

Obiaku can be accessed through a river from Akwa-Ibom State to Abia State.

It'll be a successful project if they could unite, plan and present the proposal to FG for approval. Even though they should have done this in Jonathan's era yet I believe it shall be approved by the incoming President.

I wish them best of luck.

Nigeria shall be better.

But OP, I have a question oooooo. Most of Nigeria's importers are Igbos, why is it so hard for them to patronize Warri, Onne or Calabar seaports? (Big ships can berth successfully at the seaports). Could it be because they are not situated at SE or what?

It is well.

1 Like

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by omonnakoda: 11:31am On May 22, 2015
shachris03:

noted. do you know any other water channels in the east that can be upped to allow a port to be built? we need constructive criticisms here.
I will ask a simple question that challenges the premise. Why must there be a seaport in the SE when the SE is not by the sea. If there is to be one then why not one also for NC NW and NE how do we respond when they agitate for one. What is the reason or motivation for this?
Why not establish rail links with existing ports or any other new ports that will be built in the SS.
There is a very good case for at least two ports in the SS in the region becomes peaceful and less hostile IN THE EYES of investors
Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Nobody: 11:35am On May 22, 2015
omonnakoda:
I will ask a simple question that challenges the premise. Why must there be a seaport in the SE when the SE is not by the sea. If there is to be one then why not one also for NC NW and NE how do we respond when they agitate for one. What is the reason or motivation for this?
Why not establish rail links with existing ports or any other new ports that will be built in the SS.
There is a very good case for at least two ports in the SS in the region becomes peaceful and less hostile IN THE EYES of investors

the reason? many south easterners are big time business men and we have a lot of local industries in the SE like the aba shoe manufacturing.

no region engages in international business transaction more than the SE.

1 Like

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by omonnakoda: 11:37am On May 22, 2015
Schematics:
Why are you always crying over issues that is not even remotely affecting you and leaving those ones that is destroying you and your people? I have been viewing to see you on the below thread but NO you have suddenly gone to Jamaica only returned on seeing the Igbos your nightmares!

https://www.nairaland.com/2329770/salaries-strike-imminent-18-states

My friend get a life or this your pervasive state of mind will destroy you!

Any attempt to dredge the Niger River is the concern of all Nigerians because we will all have to deal with the environmental consequences but not just Nigerians all other countries through which it flows. Dredging a river for hundreds of kilometres is not a joke

2 Likes

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Schematics: 11:40am On May 22, 2015
Is omonokoda equal to Nigeria? Why not leave Nigerian government and policy makers to worry about that! My main concern is that you worry so much about issues that has to do with the Igbos, very much less as you worry about issues plaguing you and your people!

omonnakoda:

Any attempt to dredge the Niger River is the concern of all Nigerians because we will all have to deal with the environmental consequences but not just Nigerians all other countries through which it flows. Dredging a river for hundreds of kilometres is not a joke

2 Likes

Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by omonnakoda: 11:48am On May 22, 2015
Schematics:
Is omonokoda equal to Nigeria? Why not leave Nigerian government and policy makers to worry about that! My main concern is that you worry so much about issues that has to do with the Igbos, very much less as you worry about issues plaguing you and your people!

My main concern is that you worry so much about what omonnakoda worries about, very much less as you worry about issues plaguing you and family!
Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by omonnakoda: 11:50am On May 22, 2015
shachris03:

the reason? many south easterners are big time business men and we have a lot of local industries in the SE like the aba shoe manufacturing.

no region engages in international business transaction more than the SE.
But you are not by the sea. how is this different from the endless agitation to continue exploring for oil the the North?
Re: A Functioning Seaport And Economic/technological Revolution In The SE by Schematics: 11:51am On May 22, 2015
This thread was created by a Southeasterner to discuss on the way forward for his region's prosperity, why not focus on your region and how it can get better instead sleeping 24/7 on NL looking out for any thread that has something to do with the Igbos! My friend get a life!

omonnakoda:
My main concern is that you worry so much about what omonnakoda worries about, very much less as you worry about issues plaguing you and family!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ekiti Begins N20,000 Payment To The Elderly As Monthly Stipend / Wike: Nobody Can Rig Edo Governorship Election / Soldiers Of Kwara Political Freedom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.