Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,812 members, 7,810,115 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:59 PM

Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) (55270 Views)

EFCC Seals Unoma Akpabio's School In Uyo. Photos / Gov.akpabio Opens The Ibom Tropicana Shopping Complex (pictures) / Akpabio Opens The Abak River Bridge Constructed By Julius Berger Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by slydey(m): 5:00pm On May 23, 2015
peleson:
Abia state should stone that useless ta orji. And fashoa should explain why lagos has the highest state depth in africa and where 1.3Triion Naira each year generated In lagos goes to for 8years

[/color]You want to know pls tell me how many state in Africa built 4 power stations, built school, Road and are not owing there staffs in Africa. Pls am waiting [color=#006600]
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 23, 2015
welcome to biafra .
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Reference(m): 5:01pm On May 23, 2015
JN1:
Akpaio is a legend, I just wish the man will be the president of Nigeria one day.
Kudos to our our Akwa-Ibom brothers and sister, they are very lucky to have such a great man as their governors.

But unfortunately it won't happen. The Hausa-Fulani/Yoruba hegemony of the old Nigeria hitherto thought dead is back alive and kicking. It will ensure that a President will never again emerge from the minorities no matter how competent or credible he or she is. That's our lot in Nigeria. Moving in circles. No progress....except to the owners of Nigeria.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 23, 2015
kenedy175:

I'm not saying that akwaibom isn't richer than majority of the states. But that anything a state gets either from Federal allocation or IGR should be used wisely. Much more development will be seen. Enugu dey try sef compared to other states

Enugu had 2 good governors on the average over the last 16 years n also we were once the capital of eastern region, these are the reasons we are as developed as we are for now.

Giving some states 500 billion n others 100 billion as budget is bull crap sha, its best every governor is allowed to harness n use the resources in their States. or else every single president Will still fail
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Abagworo(m): 5:06pm On May 23, 2015
atinukedam:
bad belle children of hatred unna don start

I have been seeing that building in Uyo since 2012 and people even go there to see subsidised movies. Or is that building different from Uyo Silverbird?
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Reference(m): 5:12pm On May 23, 2015
chuna1985:

other States should use their wealth wisely

I come from Enugu and our 2015 budget is 93 billion naira...

Akwaibom state budget for 2015 is 462 billion naira...

That's 370 billion dollars more than my state n u expect us to use our wealth wisely!!!

What's happening in Akwaibom ain't magic or hard work.

It is not the quantum but what the money is used for. Poverty is caused by misappropriated wealth at some stage in the life of a man, family, community, State or Nation. Give Dangote that 93 billion and watch how he will create wealth and opportunity. That is what governors should be doing, running their states like businesses with a human face but I'm sure his convoys and entourages are as big and flamboyant as Akpabio's. In things like that he will conveniently ignore his smaller budget.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Reference(m): 5:14pm On May 23, 2015
Plus234:

have you seen N300m before ? or are u among those that use mouth to put fish in a soup, i hope i got the proverb correct , lol

300m is a big money and can build this mall more than 1

Oga. It can't, period. Just order 1, just 1 escalator and report back. Oya, jog along.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Nobody: 5:18pm On May 23, 2015
Reference:

It is not the quantum but what the money is used for. Poverty is caused by misappropriated wealth at some stage in the life of a man, family, community, State or Nation. Give Dangote that 93 billion and watch how he will create wealth and opportunity. That is what governors should be doing, running their states like businesses with a human face but I'm sure his convoys and entourages are as big and flamboyant as Akpabio's. In things like that he will conveniently ignore his smaller budget.

U don't expect a governor who has been a lawyer, doctor or engineer all his life to turn n become like dangote in terms of business skills.

Fact is that our present system of government encourages governors to be very lazy.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by babestella: 5:18pm On May 23, 2015
Hahahahaha, good one from Apkabio. Lagos state government will build this same kind of mall, same size and facilities with 1.2 Billion Naira.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by sutst: 5:24pm On May 23, 2015
[b][/b][color=#000000][/color]UYO (Sundiata Post) – The Akwa Ibom State commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Elder Ufot Toby Nkangude has assured that the incoming administration of Mr. Udom Gabriel Emmanuel would replicate the industrial renaissance in other world countries, by using his well established contacts in the global market to attract investments to the state. In an interview programme in Uyo, Nkangude thanked Chief Godswill Akpabio for laying a solid infrastructural foundation for the smooth take-off of the industrial plan of the incoming government. He said that Akpabio created the enablers for industrial boom in the state by establishing world class infrastructure such as roads network, the airport, international hospitals, five star hotels, tourism and leisure facilities and free medicare and qualitative education. He cited the gas plant in Esit Eket and the methanol plant at Ibeno which were set in motion by Akpabio, as foundations of the impending industrial revolution. “You see he has gone beyond that to create another legacy as the man who is taking over from him is a man with a private sector understanding who is just coming into a familiar terrain and he is going to deliver”, the commissioner said. Nkangude stressed that Udom is the right man to steer the wheels of leadership of the state as he has the knowledge of the private sector at his finger tips. He assured Akwa Ibom people that with the massive, gigantic plans of the governor-elect, unemployment would become a thing of the past as all the youths would be gainfully employed either through the special employment intervention programme or the industrialisation programme. Nkangude explained that the Ibaka deep seaport project would employ thousands of Akwa Ibom people and noted that the SEAPORT PROJECT has been approved by the Federal Executive Council and construction would begin immediately. “The seaport and other support industries will help us generate our own revenue which will enable us to comfortably develop our own economy. He noted that all world developed economies got to that point through industrialisation and Akwa Ibom is heading towards that. In his words, “The enablers are already on ground, we needed a man who has the understanding and capacity to attract investors and fast track development.”
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by matrixme(m): 5:25pm On May 23, 2015
Impressive project there! Living in Akwa ibom state currently, I will advise the citizens not to forget that their mother state, Cross River at a point in time too, was rapidly transformed into a massive pleasure centre.
Today, all we hear of Calabar are it's dirty streets and unoccupied Tinapa shopping malls. Let's face it, Nigeria is not going to be popular for tourism and entertainment till the next couple of years. This is not East Africa with its lions and cool weather, so foreigners are not expected to start trooping in to shop in Nigeria and watch movies in Uyo.
Hence, the fate of projects like this rests on Nigerians to support them. Sadly however, we are not known for exploring the outdoors much, no matter our tribe.
I only hope the incoming Government will put more citizen development projects in place like power, education, health and industrial development which are at an all time low down here.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by fashiajones(m): 5:28pm On May 23, 2015
Flets:
The Lower Niger just missed a massive opportunity by a hair strand.

Uyo has been upgraded and positioned the next economic hub in West Africa. Akpabio succeded in putting up all major infrastructures required for a thriving metropolis..... and just one more thing was required......... sign the Ibaka seaport project and concession and Akwaibom would have taken Africa by storm.

GEJ was playing it cool not to offend the south west who believes the port business is their resource. He was just waiting to get back in 2nd term to kick start the project. The south west and North saw this and had to fight as hard as they could.

However common sense can only be delayed and not denied.
Why does Nigeria despite having over 700km coastline still operate only one Port only in the Lagos the south west?

Why was Atiku allowed a concession on Intels port in rivers state with import rates way higher than Lagos and only economical for oil and gas businesses?

Why has NPA refused to renew the dredging contracts for the ports in delta and crossriver state?

Why was a yoruba man few weeks back complaining that the NPA chairman position was the birthright of the southwest.

Nigeria remains a zoo and cesspit. Just because of the interest of a few yorubas, the economic potentials of a region is sidelined against common sense..... which will also help decongest lagos.

Some day that port will ressurect and population of lagos will be halved.
lol...So it because of d seaport that is while their is much population in lagos? let me remind you that kano is the largest when it comes to population according to npc.. secondly, not only akwa ibom is agitating for seaport also ondo state is also wanting that do, pls do your research and pls get facts And desist from been tribalistic, the failure of the pdp administration in this election was because of failure in governance,corruption, etc and the merger of the newly emerge apc...a question for you pls, pardon my ignorance probably the yorubas and hausas caused these...can u please please explain while their is no functioning refinery in Nigeria? y their is poor power supply? y corruption as become the order of the day? And terrorism?
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by aduje(m): 5:36pm On May 23, 2015
Flets:
The Lower Niger just missed a massive opportunity by a hair strand.

Uyo has been upgraded and positioned the next economic hub in West Africa. Akpabio succeded in putting up all major infrastructures required for a thriving metropolis..... and just one more thing was required......... sign the Ibaka seaport project and concession and Akwaibom would have taken Africa by storm.

GEJ was playing it cool not to offend the south west who believes the port business is their resource. He was just waiting to get back in 2nd term to kick start the project. The south west and North saw this and had to fight as hard as they could.

However common sense can only be delayed and not denied.
Why does Nigeria despite having over 700km coastline still operate only one Port only in the Lagos the south west?

Why was Atiku allowed a concession on Intels port in rivers state with import rates way higher than Lagos and only economical for oil and gas businesses?

Why has NPA refused to renew the dredging contracts for the ports in delta and crossriver state?

Why was a yoruba man few weeks back complaining that the NPA chairman position was the birthright of the southwest.

Nigeria remains a zoo and cesspit. Just because of the interest of a few yorubas, the economic potentials of a region is sidelined against common sense..... which will also help decongest lagos.

Some day that port will ressurect and population of lagos will be halved.

God bless you for this insightful write up...God bless Godswill Akpabio for all he did in Akwa Ibom state. I feel like claiming that as my home state.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by OteDOLLAR(m): 5:42pm On May 23, 2015
lorbah001:
Dat common man wey dey sell onions fit rent am?

If yes den I rest my case

Ask someone from Osun state about their own Ayegbaju market built buy Aregbe...
1. It was built and managed by a private company "Edward consults"
2. It hasn't been completed yet it was opened last year
3. Stalls sell for as much as 250K

NB: that "International Market" is not yet completed and not quarter has beautiful as this, yet it was said to av been built with billions

Moral: learn to appreciate a working Government above party lines. Thank You

2 Likes

Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by fashiajones(m): 5:44pm On May 23, 2015
we Nigerians should endeavour to reduce ourselves from making clamorous statement But rather challenge others or implore others not only governors, senators, reps, ministers, chairman n counselors too to discharge governance at various levels not by building roads after 4yrs or 8yrs of service or by building infrastructures or by idolizing one over the others...it is their right and that the only job they got
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Blizzy9ja: 5:45pm On May 23, 2015
adanny01:

I can go there right now and take pictures of what they dont want you to see. Am sure the door to this mall is under lock and key right now not because it is closed but it was never opened.

Some of us spend good time there at least once a week, since the movie theatre which has been operating for more than 3years shares same building. Tropicana is not a place we cant have access to so if i say it is not complete its not just mere pictures someone shared.
At least Akpabio has been going around commissioning projects whether they are completed or not at least they are close 2 completion... In Rivers state Amaechi has been running up and down causing chaos, making inciting statements and instead of commisioning projects he is spending money conducting an unnecessary LG election when there is a backlog of unpaid salaries owed workers... You should appreciate good things when u see dem
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by eromspete(m): 5:48pm On May 23, 2015
That's GREAT... grin

Next thing is to attract BIG Brands to open outlet stores in the mall. Make it attractive so that Nigerians will reduce their spending in the MALLS of DUBAI and UK.. Chaiii the money we as Nigerians are spending outside our fatherland is too much o embarassed embarassed embarassed

And i also strongly hope that the MALL MANAGEMENT will do a good job of maintaining the facility so that in a few years time it will not become an eyesore undecided

Last note - Lot's of openings/commissioning happening allover the country. The outgoing government officials want to tag their names over their rushed projects (Quality will be compromised) before they leave office. LoL tongue

Akpabio make sure there is light in this facility o (not generators)
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by dBard: 5:48pm On May 23, 2015
ozoigbondu:
This is a governor not the other one that spends billions to conduct lga elections that his sucessor will kick out anyways

Abi o...
sitting@home, no nepa light and no movement for an election nobody has shown interest in.
People don't even know where the polling booths are nor have I seen anyone that actually went out to vote.
Monies meant for unpaid salaries.

@post....Kudos to Gov Akpabio...
tho this is just good showmanship, Go out with a Bang.. grin
ozoigbondu:
This is a governor not the other one that spends billions to conduct lga elections that his sucessor will kick out anyways

Abi o...
sitting@home, no nepa light and no movement for an election nobody has shown interest in.
People don't even know where the polling booths are nor have I seen anyone that actually went out to vote.
Monies meant for unpaid salaries.

@post....Kudos to Gov Akpabio...
tho this is just good showmanship, Go out with a Bang..
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 23, 2015
OteDOLLAR:

Ask someone from Osun state about their own Ayegbaju market built buy Aregbe...
1. It was built and managed by a private company "Edward consults"
2. It hasn't been completed yet it was opened last year
3. Stalls sell for as much as 250K

NB: that "International Market" is not yet completed and not quarter has beautiful as this, yet it was said to av been built with billions

Moral: learn to appreciate a working Government above party lines. Thank You

Ignore the Osogbo Plebs.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by seunfape(m): 5:54pm On May 23, 2015
this man work can be compared with Donal duke in cross river state.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Emmanueledu(m): 5:56pm On May 23, 2015
This man is indeed a blessing to Akwa ibom state!
I can't believe this is the tropicana I used to visit bck then during my service year!wish to go bck to Akwa ibom some day...
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 23, 2015
fashiajones:

lol...So it because of d seaport that is while their is much population in lagos? let me remind you that kano is the largest when it comes to population according to npc.. secondly, not only akwa ibom is agitating for seaport also ondo state is also wanting that do, pls do your research and pls get facts And desist from been tribalistic, the failure of the pdp administration in this election was because of failure in governance,corruption, etc and the merger of the newly emerge apc...a question for you pls, pardon my ignorance probably the yorubas and hausas caused these...can u please please explain while their is no functioning refinery in Nigeria? y their is poor power supply? y corruption as become the order of the day? And terrorism?

You fool.

So you believe that Kano's population is the highest?

Try and venture out of that fetish enclave, Osogbo.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by masseratti: 6:10pm On May 23, 2015
peleson:
Abia state should stone that useless ta orji. And fashoa should explain why lagos has the highest state depth in africa and where 1.3Triion Naira each year generated In lagos goes to for 8years
have you seen the shopping malls owned by lagos state government? Google is your friend please make use of it.btw nice shopping mall for the people at Akwa Ibom.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Curiouscity(m): 6:11pm On May 23, 2015
gatiano:
It would bring in revenue, but most of it to the private owner and taxes to the govt. And that money in taxes won't be mathematically balanced to be used on people, even if corrupted officials don't swindle it. Such money would be used to develop the surroundings of the mall. The only thing that seems to be beneficial is that the mall will employ people, 120 staffs, while 5000 people loose their small businesses and their livelihood.

In a country such as Nigeria, whose population is very high and growing at a fast rate, small businesses should seriously be encouraged and big businesses should allow a lot of partnership especially the foreign companies.

Guy, your line of argument is making me curious. When you say 5000 people will loose that small business, how do you mean? Is the place erected where others were doing business before? What do you think should be the proper thing? Government own and government run? Or possibly make things there free or subsidized?
I have read all your posts here and I get confused the more. The area of people loosing their business or jobs is what I don't still get.

We all clamour for investors, now these guys are here (assuming your assertion that they are private coy is correct), you are saying they should not be welcomed or allowed to operate?
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Myself2(m): 6:11pm On May 23, 2015
peleson:

MINT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by ArodeTsolaye: 6:16pm On May 23, 2015
aresa will have a heart attack if he hears this news.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by abilitymodels01: 6:19pm On May 23, 2015
If it was an APC governor na #50bn dem for say dem take build d mall. I hope they don't corrupt our Buhari
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Panshow(m): 6:39pm On May 23, 2015
Akpabio would've been a better choice for PDP presidency than GEJ.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by chrisblack: 6:42pm On May 23, 2015
see bunch of mufu screeming because of a shopping mall. This is just pathetic after they will say uncommon transformation rubish.this is what private businesses do.you have spar,shoprite,justrite etc doing this all over the country. Have any of you check the unemployment rate in akwa ibom.have been there severally,despite the huge allocation.educational standard is still.poverty is pervelent.stop shouting over a mall .
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by austinesteve(m): 6:50pm On May 23, 2015
Aitee1 this your uncle dey try Ooooo!!!....hope say Udom Emmanuel will continue from where he stopped.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Forwetinnah: 6:56pm On May 23, 2015
...yet the man isn't blowing his vuvuzela. ...see Fashola's dept as at 2013, with nooooooothing to show for it. I wonder how much it is now, seeing that the APC states have incured the most dept so far that they're blaming on the FG

1 Share

Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by gatiano(m): 6:57pm On May 23, 2015
First of all, The argument was over whether the Akwa Ibom government built it or Akpabio was just being honoured to inaugurate the opening.

That mall is a large retail center. It is in the retailing sector of the economy of that local government.
How many small retailing outlets are there in that local area (small shops, tailor, utility thing etc)? Probably 1000 or more, who have 1 or 2 saleboy or salegirls each. How many will tropical mall employ?

Before reaching the retailing end, There is the manufacturer-distributor-wholesalers(most wholesaler need warehouses or stores)- retailers who would probably depend on the 2nd stage distributors to bring goods or they would use paid transport themselves.

This big retail mall, will definitely by from the manufacturer. It is good when they buy from the local ones, It may and is actually cheaper to bring most goods from china/india (1.3 billion people working for a bed space) and indonesia etc.

Do you see how many businesses will go out, from the pictures above, there are also warehouses there a lot of them.

and

If the mall is divided into compactment for people to rent, It will be the same, only on a minimized level.

For me o
Akwa Ibom is a very fertile land (i won't waste a plot of it never)- Farming (manufacturing and creating a lot of agric employment), do not forget processing of the foods etc
That place has a lot of ranches, Fulani and Hausa jeolous that place die. Cow, goat, ram and diary products (manufacturing)
Akwa Ibom is a river area. Good and nice ferry transportation across the entire south. plus fishing industries with it processing and conserving fishes and fish products etc. Then all of these will have small wholesalers, small warehouse owners, small distributors(even one car), small retailers and infact small manufacturers.

Nigeria is no compactable for large and big business owners, even in the oil industries, that is why we have a lot of bunkerings which eventually causes oil spillages across the whole delta.
Nigeria is not a place for few or tens of billionaires, It is a place of millions of millionaires, together, we can be the highest living standard. That is my view.

Curiouscity:

Guy, your line of argument is making me curious. When you say 5000 people will loose that small business, how do you mean? Is the place erected where others were doing business before? What do you think should be the proper thing? Government own and government run? Or possibly make things there free or subsidized?
I have read all your posts here and I get confused the more. The area of people loosing their business or jobs is what I don't still get.

We all clamour for investors, now these guys are here (assuming your assertion that they are private coy is correct), you are saying they should not be welcomed or allowed to operate?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Soldiers Pose With Dead Bodies Of Boko Haram Members After Attack In Sambisa / Maryln Ogar Demoted, Recalled From Study Leave - Nigeriantimes / I Remain In APC, Another Senator Included In The Defection List Cries Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.