Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,804 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) (55298 Views)

EFCC Seals Unoma Akpabio's School In Uyo. Photos / Gov.akpabio Opens The Ibom Tropicana Shopping Complex (pictures) / Akpabio Opens The Abak River Bridge Constructed By Julius Berger Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Forwetinnah: 6:59pm On May 23, 2015
abilitymodels01:
If it was an APC governor na #50bn dem for say dem take build d mall. I hope they don't corrupt our Buhari

Your Buhari's corruption has its own league....the league of the Abachas that didn't steal a penny from Nigeria, why? No one can actually trace their loot
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by kenedy175(m): 7:00pm On May 23, 2015
chuna1985:

Enugu had 2 good governors on the average over the last 16 years n also we were once the capital of eastern region, these are the reasons we are as developed as we are for now.

Giving some states 500 billion n others 100 billion as budget is bull crap sha, its best every governor is allowed to harness n use the resources in their States. or else every single president Will still fail
I agree with you. But it still boils down to the same thing. If every state is allowed to develop based on what they can get from there resources, don't you think akwaibom might still be Richer?
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by adanny01(m): 7:03pm On May 23, 2015
Blizzy9ja:
At least Akpabio has been going around commissioning projects whether they are completed or not at least they are close 2 completion... In Rivers state Amaechi has been running up and down causing chaos, making inciting statements and instead of commisioning projects he is spending money conducting an unnecessary LG election when there is a backlog of unpaid salaries owed workers... You should appreciate good things when u see dem

You are promoting mediocrity.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by grandstar(m): 7:14pm On May 23, 2015
peleson:
Abia state should stone that useless ta orji. And fashoa should explain why lagos has the highest state depth in africa and where 1.3Triion Naira each year generated In lagos goes to for 8years

Lagos state has at least 4 times the population of Akwa Ibom and it is highly urbanised making it more costly to run.

Look at spending per head And you know Lagos state is just managing.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by eminenta: 7:19pm On May 23, 2015
Nyc work akpabio...u r really. GODswill If nigeria na USA akwa ibom go b Beverly hills nd ABIA wud b Brolkyn
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by adexx1(m): 7:20pm On May 23, 2015
ROSSIKE:
How can that complex be only N300 million? Illiterate journalism.
naso me sef dey.luk am wonder ooo..
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Curiouscity(m): 7:26pm On May 23, 2015
gatiano:
First of all, The argument was over whether the Akwa Ibom government built it or Akpabio was just being honoured to inaugurate the opening.

That mall is a large retail center. It is in the retailing sector of the economy of that local government.
How many small retailing outlets are there in that local area (small shops, tailor, utility thing etc)? Probably 1000 or more, who have 1 or 2 saleboy or salegirls each. How many will tropical mall employ?

Before reaching the retailing end, There is the manufacturer-distributor-wholesalers(most wholesaler need warehouses or stores)- retailers who would probably depend on the 2nd stage distributors to bring goods or they would use paid transport themselves.

This big retail mall, will definitely by from the manufacturer. It is good when they buy from the local ones, It may and is actually cheaper to bring most goods from china/india (1.3 billion people working for a bed space) and indonesia etc.

Do you see how many businesses will go out, from the pictures above, there are also warehouses there a lot of them.

and

If the mall is divided into compactment for people to rent, It will be the same, only on a minimized level.

For me o
Akwa Ibom is a very fertile land (i won't waste a plot of it never)- Farming (manufacturing and creating a lot of agric employment), do not forget processing of the foods etc
That place has a lot of ranches, Fulani and Hausa jeolous that place die. Cow, goat, ram and diary products (manufacturing)
Akwa Ibom is a river area. Good and nice ferry transportation across the entire south. plus fishing industries with it processing and conserving fishes and fish products etc. Then all of these will have small wholesalers, small warehouse owners, small distributors(even one car), small retailers and infact small manufacturers.

Nigeria is no compactable for large and big business owners, even in the oil industries, that is why we have a lot of bunkerings which eventually causes oil spillages across the whole delta.
Nigeria is not a place for few or tens of billionaires, It is a place of millions of millionaires, together, we can be the highest living standard. That is my view.

Thanks for your response and civility while doing so.
You see, man is an insatiable being( according to my secondary sch. economics). Many people in Nigeria want the government to replicate things seen in the Western world, and you and me know that we are 'class sensitive'. Hence, people will prefer to shop in a large fancy mall with high price tag than patronize 'Ette Akpan Supermarket' or 'Okon Lagos Boutique' which are relatively cheap. We need change in our value system or call it re-orientation country-wide.

On the economic aspect, it will not kill the small scale business. I have had a chance to live outside Nigeria some yrs back. I see real big grocery chains like walmart and the likes, yet small business still strive in those cities. People patronize anyone base on their taste and satisfaction. Also, we are still courting big industrial investors, to create the desired industrial jobs. With these mall present in our cities, these industrialist can be assured of meeting world class service delivery and therefore confident in investing in the country.

On the other hand, these big malls can create jobs in the agricultural sector as you mentioned. The malls should be made to source for all their fruits and vegetables within the state, thereby creating jobs. The next administration should look in those this you mentioned so we can have food sustainability. What will be very bad and painful will be if the managers of this mall repeat what shoprite is doing presently in Nigeria - importing all their foodstuff, fruits and vegetables from South Africa. I think our government should kick against this.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by omooba969(m): 7:31pm On May 23, 2015
nsyforreal:

akpabio. God bless you for making akwaibomites proud.

Countless projects.

Making u lot proud? cheesy Laughing in chinese

Countless projects which r not community based or hw does dis shopping mall improve d living standard or quality of life of majority of Akwa-ibomites? Talk of attracting investors, hw many community-based projects r being funded by dis same investors? Wotz happening to d billions of naira in monthly allocation to d state? ---NO ACCOUNTABILITY

Guy, unless u av chosen to live in denial or better still not well informed, u need to knw dat dis politicians av robbed u so much dat ur mentality is nw damaged & spirit broken thereby not being able to knw d true meaning of growth & development.

U also need to knw dat none of dis 'miscreants-called-politicians' is praise-worthy, so abeg think twice cos ur destiny is nw in ur own hands & there's no limit to wot u can achieve as a human being.

Av fun.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by grandstar(m): 7:33pm On May 23, 2015
Flets:
The Lower Niger just missed a massive opportunity by a hair strand.

Uyo has been upgraded and positioned the next economic hub in West Africa. Akpabio succeded in putting up all major infrastructures required for a thriving metropolis..... and just one more thing was required......... sign the Ibaka seaport project and concession and Akwaibom would have taken Africa by storm.

GEJ was playing it cool not to offend the south west who believes the port business is their resource. He was just waiting to get back in 2nd term to kick start the project. The south west and North saw this and had to fight as hard as they could.

However common sense can only be delayed and not denied.
Why does Nigeria despite having over 700km coastline still operate only one Port only in the Lagos the south west?

Why was Atiku allowed a concession on Intels port in rivers state with import rates way higher than Lagos and only economical for oil and gas businesses?

Why has NPA refused to renew the dredging contracts for the ports in delta and crossriver state?

Why was a yoruba man few weeks back complaining that the NPA chairman position was the birthright of the southwest.

Nigeria remains a zoo and cesspit. Just because of the interest of a few yorubas, the economic potentials of a region is sidelined against common sense..... which will also help decongest lagos.

Some day that port will ressurect and population of lagos will be halved.

This is utter nonsense.

Blaming Yorubas is baseless.

The simple truth is that GEJ failed to accelerate the approval and development of the project
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by gatiano(m): 7:41pm On May 23, 2015
You are very right in your assertion Sir. Nigeria is a very densely populated country as compared to those of the europeans dwindling in people.
Curiouscity:

Thanks for your response and civility while doing so.
You see, man is an insatiable being( according to my secondary sch. economics). Many people in Nigeria want the government to replicate things seen in the Western world, and you and me know that we are 'class sensitive'. Hence, people will prefer to shop in a large fancy mall with high price tag than patronize 'Ette Akpan Supermarket' or 'Okon Lagos Boutique' which are relatively cheap. We need change in our value system or call it re-orientation country-wide.

On the economic aspect, it will not kill the small scale business. I have had a chance to live outside Nigeria some yrs back. I see real big grocery chains like walmart and the likes, yet small business still strive in those cities. People patronize anyone base on their taste and satisfaction. Also, we are still courting big industrial investors, to create the desired industrial jobs. With these mall present in our cities, these industrialist can be assured of meeting world class service delivery and therefore confident in investing in the country.

On the other hand, these big malls can create jobs in the agricultural sector as you mentioned. The malls should be made to source for all their fruits and vegetables within the state, thereby creating jobs. The next administration should look in those this you mentioned so we can have food sustainability. What will be very bad and painful will be if the managers of this mall repeat what shoprite is doing presently in Nigeria - importing all their foodstuff, fruits and vegetables from South Africa. I think our government should kick against this.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by omooba969(m): 7:59pm On May 23, 2015
themodernman:

Calling a man from the Northcentral you know nothing about an Akwaibomite shows how faulty your thought processing is undecided

Then ur comment was misleading( demonstrating as a fan of d Akwa-ibom guvnor), d reason u couldn't afford ursef any caution wen replying me. I 'm not so impressed by ur lack of self esteem & to write dis much in response to ur comment is wot I consider a waste of time.

Behave ursef baby.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Nobody: 8:00pm On May 23, 2015
Flets:

Uyo has been upgraded and positioned the next economic hub in West Africa. Akpabio succeded in putting up all major infrastructures required for a thriving metropolis..... and just one more thing was required......... sign the Ibaka seaport project and concession and Akwaibom would have taken Africa by storm.

GEJ was playing it cool not to offend the south west who believes the port business is their resource. He was just waiting to get back in 2nd term to kick start the project. The south west and North saw this and had to fight as hard as they could.

Why does Nigeria despite having over 700km coastline still operate only one Port only in the Lagos the south west?

Why was Atiku allowed a concession on Intels port in rivers state with import rates way higher than Lagos and only economical for oil and gas businesses?

Why has NPA refused to renew the dredging contracts for the ports in delta and crossriver state?

Why was a yoruba man few weeks back complaining that the NPA chairman position was the birthright of the southwest.

Nigeria remains a zoo and cesspit. Just because of the interest of a few yorubas, the economic potentials of a region is sidelined against common sense..... which will also help decongest lagos.

I totally disagree with your last statement. Lagos would become Mono-ethnic...more than 75% i predict.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Eshinwaju: 8:16pm On May 23, 2015
Flets:

Sick tribalist fo0l......you see Yoruba in every nook n crany of ur house
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Nobody: 8:28pm On May 23, 2015
kenedy175:

I agree with you. But it still boils down to the same thing. If every state is allowed to develop based on what they can get from there resources, don't you think akwaibom might still be Richer?

Akwa ibom might be richer, other States with no crude oil can even become richer.

If it is done, every state can harness what they have, And the best will make more money.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by PhockPhockMan: 8:29pm On May 23, 2015
Abagworo:
This has been there since 2012 or 2011. The commissioning is unnecessary waste of fund.
Bad belle, show us Okorocha’s own.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Nsiman(m): 8:32pm On May 23, 2015
If this is the Tropicana i know, i'm sorry for AKS. That project less than 25% completed and the amount here is in billions and not what the poster or site claims
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by idupaul: 8:33pm On May 23, 2015
ROSSIKE:

Me sef fear ..When 30 million and counting never finish better house
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Johnsmartinyang(m): 8:33pm On May 23, 2015
Abagworo:
This has been there since 2012 or 2011. The commissioning is unnecessary waste of fund.
...hmmm. smoking dry banana leaves makes d brain docile..try inhaling evostik.....what has ur governor done show us pissure...mbok
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 23, 2015
I guess you live in Abuja where you think money is valueless. land in Asokoro N300m
ROSSIKE:
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by EMANY01(m): 8:53pm On May 23, 2015
Flets:

Thanks for spotting the gaffes. ..... that is why I need a secretary. Are you available?

BADASS KNOCKOUT.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by solreb: 9:03pm On May 23, 2015
This mall can't be N300m when it is not boy's quarters. The journalist should get d figure right. It surely cost more than this.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by EMANY01(m): 9:21pm On May 23, 2015
grandstar:

Lagos state has at least 4 times the population of Akwa Ibom and it is highly urbanised making it more costly to run.

"Lagos state has at least 4 times the population of Akwa Ibom and it is highly urbanised making it more costly to run.

[/quote]

"Lagos state has at least 4 times the population of Akwa Ibom and it is highly urbanised making it more costly to run.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

With four times the population,a little over a third of the landmass, massive infrastructure advantage built up over a period of eighty years by the colonial and federal gorvernments all added to about five times the tax payer base, that Akwa Ibom has,I'd say that Lagos got the long end of the stick .
But you don't have to agree with me.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by ethicalUser(m): 9:22pm On May 23, 2015
ROSSIKE:
Have u been there Do u Knw how big that mall is? Don't judge by pictures plss.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by themodernman: 9:33pm On May 23, 2015
omooba969:

Then ur comment was misleading( demonstrating as a fan of d Akwa-ibom guvnor), d reason u couldn't afford ursef any caution wen replying me. I 'm not so impressed by ur lack of self esteem & to write dis much in response to ur comment is wot I consider a waste of time.

Behave ursef baby.

You just glorified stupidity with your counter response...feel free to continue ranting troll.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Nobody: 9:33pm On May 23, 2015
Seanixking:
Since Donald Duke Transformed Cross River State By Bringing In Tinapa,Obudu Cattle Ranch And Many Tourist Site. Nothing Good Has Been Done Since Imoke Came In, Just Increment In Taxation Is All He Knows How To Do. Can't Even Pay Workers In Time.

Am Proud Of Akpabio For Transforming Akwa Ibom State To A Tourist Destination.

Godbless, Goodluck Jonathan
Godbless Godswill Akpabio
Godbless, Nigeria

true talk.....guy, u dey cali?
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Anglovel: 9:49pm On May 23, 2015
Flets:

Unfolding drama nd commonsense. .
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by brushesz: 9:59pm On May 23, 2015
A
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Nobody: 10:00pm On May 23, 2015
All the awards uduaghan received so far should be withdrawn and given to akpabio. This man has good taste,and from what I've seen from the mall,it should be way over #300million,how much is that? It should be running into #800 to 1billion.
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by omooba969(m): 10:41pm On May 23, 2015
themodernman:

You just glorified stupidity with your counter response...feel free to continue ranting troll.

Very funny grin

U can do better baby. cheesy
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by PreciousGem(f): 10:57pm On May 23, 2015
How much per shop... I want to rent
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Seanixking: 11:38pm On May 23, 2015
smartireke:

yes, Am In Cali
Re: Tropicana Shopping Mall: Akpabio Opens N300 Million Facility In Uyo (photos) by Seanixking: 11:38pm On May 23, 2015
smartireke:

yes, Am In Cali

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kano Bomb Blast Scene - Victims & Bomber (Warning : Graphic Photos) / Lagos APC Primary: Live Updates, Results And Situation Report / Joe Igbokwe In Anambra For His Mother-In-Law's Burial (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.