Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,047 members, 7,810,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" (32606 Views)

Nigerian Soldier Graduates With Distinction At U.S. Army War College / Adebola Irede Daniel Bags Distinction In UK (Photos) / Nigeria Investigating Connection Between Niger Delta Militants And IPOB - Sahara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Obiodunukwe: 3:05pm On May 24, 2015
barcanista:
It is an original piece and not plaguarised. I have added "Sources"

I didn't add them before because of ant*ispambot. Thanks bro

What will anti spam do?

1 Like

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Vivly(f): 3:07pm On May 24, 2015
ezeagu:

Do you know what a river delta is? If so, how can Cross River be in the Niger River Delta and not Abia? Before you answer, please look at a map of Nigeria.
I'm not talking of geographical location. I'm talking of resources.

1 Like

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Nobody: 3:13pm On May 24, 2015
Marotzke:
Correct man, the first time south south entered Nigerian political lexicon was in 1995 constitutional conference organized by Gen Abacha. The current geopolitical divisions were proposed by Alex Ekwueme and adopted by the house.
Like I said the term SS is an aberration as it represent no one. It never underwent referendum like the "MidWest", it was purely not pupilist as ethnic nationalities were not carried along. It doesn't matter whether Boro or Ekweme first mentioned it because Ekweme is an individual. I bet you that it would have been killed if it went through a referendum as it has no other basis other than allocation convenience.

By the way, Anthony Enahoro despite his political influence rejected and campaigned against the MidWest Creation even when majority of his people yearned for it all because of his own interest in the Western region government. Though the people's will prevailed. Sometimes the decision of a politician do not represent the people's wish.

4 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by xmich(m): 3:14pm On May 24, 2015
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Nobody: 3:15pm On May 24, 2015
Scholes007:
i wouldn't be surprise if someone (a Nigeria) disprove this due to ignorance or personal hatred
whether people like it or not the truth can never be surpressed.

1 Like

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Princecalm(m): 3:18pm On May 24, 2015
barcanista:
The social media is a good platform for education and enlightenment. Gradually, facts will be embraced and misconception done away with if we continue to provide helpful information.
there are so many who are far from the internet world, it will be almost impossible for write-ups like this to get to them.

1 Like

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 24, 2015
Vivly:

I'm not talking of geographical location. I'm talking of resources.
What makes you think Abia is not an oil producing state?

7 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Nobody: 3:20pm On May 24, 2015
Bro, thanks for the efforts put into the research and writing of this piece. Well done.

A lot of us do not really understand these differences.

You're appreciated. I found it really helpful!

1 Like

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by omonnakoda: 3:20pm On May 24, 2015
barcanista:
I mean "Sani Abacha" in 1995.
dailyindependentnig.com/2014/01/ethnic-groups-geo-political-regions-nigeria/
No you don't mean. Nigerians never say "sorry" or I was wrong"
It had nothing to do with revenue allocation as you claimed. So we can reasonably assume that everything else you have written has no credible factual underpinning!! and is just fuelled by an overdose of akpu? Analysis to be meaningful must be based on good facts. Your facts are NOT good

I am sorry but reproducing rubbish from Wikipedia just does not cut it

5 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Ishilove: 3:24pm On May 24, 2015
Good work barcanista. I was glad when I saw the work of Professor Egharevba among your sources because he is an authority in the history of Southern Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by HopeAtHand: 3:28pm On May 24, 2015
Very correct.

Now barcanista knowing no one can speak for the entire South South and/or Niger Delta region due to its diversity and varied interest, who did you consult before dragging all and sundry into Lower Niger Association??

9 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by einsteino(m): 3:28pm On May 24, 2015
There is no such thing as delta igbo. Get ur facts right

The people you call delta igbo do not share any ancestry with igbos, rather most have theirs from the binis.

3 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by omonnakoda: 3:28pm On May 24, 2015
Rather than cutting and pasting you should start by defining what does the Word "Delta" means? Next you should state the very fist literary reference to the term Niger Delta and how that has developed and then also the "confusion" that makes it necessary to do your piece or attempt the clarifications.

A very shoddy piece of shoddiness, I am afraid

3 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by anwe: 3:31pm On May 24, 2015
whether Niger Delta or South South na the same thing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by omonnakoda: 3:32pm On May 24, 2015
barcanista:
Like I said the term SS is an aberration as it represent no one. It never underwent referendum like the "MidWest", it was purely not pupilist as ethnic nationalities were not carried along. It doesn't matter whether Boro or Ekweme first mentioned it because Ekweme is an individual. I bet you that it would have been killed if it went through a referendum as it has no other basis other than allocation convenience.

By the way, Anthony Enahoro despite his political influence rejected and campaigned against the MidWest Creation even when majority of his people yearned for it all because of his own interest in the Western region government. Though the people's will prevailed. Sometimes the decision of a politician do not represent the people's wish.
Again this is wrong it had NOTHING to do with revenue allocation.

Please explain any formula known to man or spirits for revenue allocation that EVER mentioned the term; South-South

1 Like

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 24, 2015
Princecalm:
there are so many who are far from the internet world, it will be almost impossible for write-ups like this to get to them.
It is our responsibility to relay the information to them even if it is on person-2-person basis.
Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by brownlord: 3:33pm On May 24, 2015
Interesting read.

Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by brownlord: 3:35pm On May 24, 2015
tobtap:
WELL the OP is know for UNSUBSTANTIATED CLAIMS, but he try for this one..just dont get y he wrote this..to proof what? lipsrsealed

Get a life and get a brain.

Idiiot

4 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by omonnakoda: 3:36pm On May 24, 2015
For practical purposes today there is a Quasi-Legal definition of Niger delta for the purposes of infrastructure/resource allocation as far as activities of the NDDC is concerned. This does not coincide with the SS as it includes Ondo ,Imo and I believe Abia states

All you need to do is to go to the NDDC website.

It is true what they say a half educated person is a lot more dangerous than an uneducated one especially when he believes he is educated. He now develops an evangelical fervor to disseminate his "knowledge"

3 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Vivly(f): 3:36pm On May 24, 2015
barcanista:
What makes you think Abia is not an oil producing state?
I never said so.. I meant that it might as well not be an oil state because it has nothing to show for it. Compare it to other oil producing states that receives royalties and generates revenue from oil.

2 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Nobody: 3:37pm On May 24, 2015
omonnakoda:
Rather than cutting and pasting you should start by defining what does the Word "Delta" means? Next you should state the very fist literary reference to the term Niger Delta and how that has developed and then also the "confusion" that makes it necessary to do your piece or attempt the clarifications.

Mr man, I am not writing thesis that will appear ambigious for ordinary folks to grasp. I don't need to follow your guidelines. If you have objection to any item go ahead and state it. Don't drag me into unnecessary argument because I am not interested. I am more concerned with educating folks.

This is not an academic journal.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by fairheven: 3:38pm On May 24, 2015
barcanista:
Overtime people have used the term Niger Delta and South South interchangeably. I took my time to do extensive research and I consider it wise to share with the public.

Niger Delta
The Niger Delta is the delta of the Niger River at the Gulf of Guinea on the Atlantic Ocean in Nigeria. Historically and cartographically, the Niger Delta region consist of present day Rivers and Bayelsa states and Warri in (Delta state). These areas/states collectively is sometimes called Oil Rivers, as it was then the British Oil Rivers Protectorate established in 1884. The area was called Oil Rivers Protectorate because it was a major producer of palm oil. The area would be later part of the larger Niger Coast Protectorate after it was expanded in 1893 with Calabar as administrative office.

South South
The "South South" is an artificial geo-political zone created in 1995 by Gen Sani Abacha, and consist of Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta, Cross river, Akwa Ibom and Edo states. IBB had created six zones for "effective allocation of resources"

Historically, the "South South" has never been a single administrative entity. Let me explain...

Edo and Delta states
Though Warri (previously known as Delta Province) is/was part of the Niger Delta, the British in 1939 created the Western Region as a subset of Southern Nigeria and included Benin and Delta provinces in the region. The MidWest referendum of 1963 led to the creation of MidWest which included the Benin and Delta provinces from the Western Region after years/decades of agitation started by Benin Kings Oba Iweka II(in 1924) and Oba Akenzua II, Omo-Osiagie, Dennis Osadebe, Dalton Asemota, Okotie-Eboh etc and backed by super majority of Benin-Delta people. However, agitation by the "Niger-Deltans" within Bendel state for the creation of Warri State for the Niger Deltans(old Warri province), as well as call by the ANIOMAs for the Creation of ANIOMA state from the old Benin province led to the creation of Edo and Delta states in 1991.
(IBB forced Warri and ANIOMA people into one "Delta" state)

Akwa-Ibom, Cross river, Rivers and Bayelsa states
The four states were part of the Eastern Region in 1954 along with the present day 5 South Eastern States. Rivers and Bayelsa later formed "Rivers" State in 1967, while Akwa Ibom and Cross River became South Eastern state(later renamed Cross river state in 1976). Akwa Ibom state and Bayelsa state were splitted from Cross river(1987) and Rivers (1996) respectively.

Official "Niger Delta" States
President Olusegun Obasanjo in 2000 "expanded" Niger Delta to include SW Ondo state, SE Imo and Abia states , and SS Akwa Ibom, Edo and Cross river states. Thus, official Niger Delta states are the aforementioned plus the historical and cartographical Niger Delta (Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta states). All 8 states are the oil producing states in Nigeria.

Actually they are nine not eight

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by omonnakoda: 3:39pm On May 24, 2015
barcanista:
Mr man, I am not writing thesis that will appear ambigious for ordinary folks to grasp. I don't need to follow your guidelines. If you have objection to any item go ahead and state it. Don't drag me into unnecessary argument because I am not interested. I am more concerned with educating folks.

This is not an academic journal.
All your facts are wrong .Sorry but you are writing rubbish

1 Like

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by SpencerLewis(m): 3:39pm On May 24, 2015
barcanista:
Well it shouldn't take so much time to learn.
Barcarnista for once u've written something sensible since u abandoned APC for PDP. Keep it up. I Lucifer son of d morning is happy for u. Very educative!

2 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by brownlord: 3:39pm On May 24, 2015
omonnakoda:

Just shut up and open a thread for your nonsense if you are not satisfied, are you paying him for making a thread here before making unnecessary and unintelligent demand?

8 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by hansad: 3:39pm On May 24, 2015
Vivly:
It sounds totally unbelievable that Abia is part of the Niger Delta

Abians would gladly be part of Biafra than being associated with that Nigerdelta thing under one Nigeria.

All those southsouth, southeast, and Nigerdelta things were creations of Northern soldiers to divide people of the former southeast region so that no strong challenger can rise from former southeast of Nigeria as resources were being plucked from the former southeast region to sustain one Nigeria.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Macelliot(m): 3:39pm On May 24, 2015
Vivly:
It sounds totally unbelievable that Abia is part of the Niger Delta
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger_Delta

3 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by omonnakoda: 3:41pm On May 24, 2015
brownlord:

Just shut up and open a thread for your nonsense if you are not satisfied, are you paying him for making a thread here before making unnecessary and unintelligent demand?
Tell your mother to shut up and if the biitch does not listen smash her head with a hammer. Sango lo ma pa iya re

2 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by atlwireles: 3:41pm On May 24, 2015
barcanista:
Summary:
1. The Niger-Deltans in the "Real Sense" are people in the present day Rivers and Bayelsa states (old Rivers province), and Warri in the present day Delta state (old Warri/Delta province).

2. The “official” Niger Delta is an expression for the oil producing states of Ondo, Imo, Abia, Akwa Ibom, Edo, Cross River, Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa states. It is not exclusive to South South.

3. "South South" consist of 4 old Eastern states (Rivers, Bayelsa, Cross river and Akwa Ibom) and the old Midwest (Edo and Delta).

4. No single ethnic group can speak for "South South", as historical interests differs. For instance,
I) In Delta state, the Itsekiris are majorly pro-Yorubas. They majorly voted against Midwest region(preferring to be with the Yoruba Western region), and opposed the creation of Warri state. The Akoko-edos in Edo state are also pro-Yoruba and also opposed the creation of Midwest region.

III) The Binis, Esans, Ijaws, Igbos etc of Edo and Delta states have always lived harmonously since the fall of Benin Kingdom in 1897, formed alliances and supported each others interests. In fact, it was an Igboman(Anioma) Denis Osadebe that proposed Benin city to be the capital of MidWest/Bendel in 1963.

5. There is ethnic Igbo population in Delta (ANIOMA) and Rivers states. There is Ijaw ethnic population in Edo(Toru-Ibe Ijaws), Akwa Ibom (Eastern Andonis/Ibolo) and Ondo (Arogbo Ijaws) in addition to those in Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa states.

6. While the term "Niger Deltans" refers to people from Rivers, Bayelsa and Warri, the term "South Southners" refers to people that falls into the six states within the South South.

I hope we find this piece educating and Informative.

God Bless Us All

dailyindependentnig.com/2014/01/ethnic-groups-geo-political-regions-nigeria/
www.african-volunteer.net/niger_delta.html
www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ng_orp.html
www.vanguardngr.com/2011/02/the-true-story-of-delta-state-creation-by-otobo-akpeki-tosanwumi/

http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/ethnichistories/
EgharevbaLectures/Fifth-Omoigui.htm

OP, please check the votes total against your comment. They don't correspond. All tribes in the Midwest rejected the western region.

http://www.edo-nation.net/nowao1.htm

5 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by flokii: 3:42pm On May 24, 2015
Scholes007:
i wouldn't be surprise if someone (a Nigeria) disprove this due to ignorance or personal hatred

who carez?... as far as they don't secede.. No problem
Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by Nobody: 3:43pm On May 24, 2015
HopeAtHand:
Very correct.

Now barcanista knowing no one can speak for the entire South South and/or Niger Delta region due to its diversity and varied interest, who did you consult before dragging all and sundry into Lower Niger Association??
The Lower Niger Congress is a consortium of ethnic nationalities from the present day South East and South South. It doesn't seek to impose on anyone. The Ijaws for one will support/are in support of the ideology, same with others. However, a REFERENDUM will determine whether or not each ethnic nationalities will want secession according the LNC principle.

9 Likes

Re: Distinction Between Niger Delta, South South And "Niger Delta" by yusuftames(m): 3:43pm On May 24, 2015
To Hell with. Them All!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

US Officials Say Jonathan's Ministers Stole $6bn -oshiomole / Abdulkabir Adekunle Akinlade: Amosun’s Preferred Ogun APC Governorship Candidate / IPOB Sit-At-Home In Anambra: Catholic Priest, Sales Rep, NDLEA Operatives Injure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.