Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,103 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers (41986 Views)

Fayose To Governors: Cut Your Minimum Wives Not Wages / Arase Reduces Number Of Policemen Attached To Governors From 150 To 62 / Another Shocker To APC Withing 3 Days....... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by SergeAlain: 7:53am On May 26, 2015
Na wa for we Nigerians!!!

We are so quick to shout Hosanna Hosanna, but when it is time to take painful decisions we are fast to shout Crucify Him! Crucify Him!!!

These are just the preambles, the game starts from May 29th. Before then anything APC/GMB does has no real impact. Therefore he can afford to play to the gallery.

When the kick off whistle gos we will know which of these promises are real.

The challenges with not relying on the Governors' recommendations (like PDP does-- the Governors only recommend) are as follows;
1. The constitution requires at least 1 minister from each state, who does GMB know in Ebonyi state or indeed Ekiti, the chances are that he will have to settle for someone sub-optimal from here since his network in the State is by far less than the Governor's

2. This introduces the initial seeds of discord within the party. Some of these Governors shed blood for him. If he knew he was not going to countenance their recommendations, why did he accept their campaign funds and support? States like Osun, Rivers, Ogun are in serious trouble now with unpaid liabilities to civil servants, contractors etc.

3.Centralization and personalization of the selection of the cabinet is not necessarily a good thing.

In my humble view, the best thing would have been to simply define the minimum criteria /CV for each ministerial candidate and allow recommendations from as many sources as possible Party leadership, State Govs, Multi-lateral agencies (World bank, IFC ati be be lo) etc.

The path he seems to have chosen is populist, but it is a slippery slope!! If he loses the support of these political big wigs too early in the game his road will be much rougher. Meanwhile the populace are as flighty as 17 year old girl. They are very gullible, easily deceived and have little or no patience.

Like i always say, there will be no dull moment after May 29th!!! Make we dey watch sha!!
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by hedonistic: 7:55am On May 26, 2015
Terabyteck:
The incoming president, who will be inaugurated on Friday, also gave an indication that he may not continue subsidy in the petroleum sector.

I believe Nigerians will not protest again for fuel ⛽ subsidy removal...

They went against GEJ for trying to remove this very subsidy.

Nigerians are not really interested in whether the subsidy is removed or not. They are only interested in not paying higher prices, which unfortunately, is what removing subsidies means in this warped country where a cartel controls the importation and marketing of petroleum products.

Nigerians protested against Jonathan because fuel prices skyrocketed from N65 to about N140 per litre when the subsidy was removed in 2012. Would they have protested if the price fell from N65 to N55 as a result of subsidy removal? No! So Buhari must be prepared to face the wrath of Nigerian masses if he removes subsidies and the price of fuel keeps skyrocketing as has been the case with diesel ever since subsidy on diesel was removed many years ago.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by maigemuu: 7:59am On May 26, 2015
efilefun:
This aint a fedora hat wearing drunkard who was "remote controlled" by some women and old fools.

GMB was there before and he's back to make the change he was forcefully stopped from making. May God Almighty Guide and protect him from the evil ones.

i hope IBB won't not take over his government again as he was forcefully removed previously?
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by Nobody: 8:01am On May 26, 2015
This shows buhari has guts!
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by help3852: 8:02am On May 26, 2015
Make I hear say obj and tinubu's list no make your final selection
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by SergeAlain: 8:07am On May 26, 2015
My brother unfortunately removal of fuel subsidies in Nigeria will always by and by result in petrol price increases, let us not deceive our selves.

Why? Because the price of petrol depends mainly on global oil prices and forex exchange rates. Especially as long as we import petroleum products.

i.e. Global oil prices rise = increase in global prices of refined petrol = partly addressed by strong Naira = moderate rise in fuel prices!

or Global oil prices fall = fall in global prices of refined petrol = weakened Naira (because more then 80% of the forex earnings come from oil) = tends to cancel out effect of fall in oil prices = minimal fall in local petrol prices.

Meanwhile, the long term demand for crude oil means that it is unlikely to fall below $70 in the medium to long term (according to the Men wey sabi).

hedonistic:

Nigerians are not really interested in whether the subsidy is removed or not. They are only interested in not paying higher prices, which unfortunately, is what removing subsidies means in this warped country where a cartel controls the importation and marketing of petroleum products.

Nigerians protested against Jonathan because fuel prices skyrocketed from N65 to about N140 per litre when the subsidy was removed in 2012. Would they have protested if the price fell from N65 to N55 as a result of subsidy removal? No! So Buhari must be prepared to face the wrath of Nigerian masses if he removes subsidies and the price of fuel keeps skyrocketing as has been the case with diesel ever since subsidy on diesel was removed many years ago.
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by Adeyinka12(m): 8:08am On May 26, 2015
Newdawn....
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by efilefun(m): 8:08am On May 26, 2015
Wake up this aint the military era.... and more over the top dogs in the military had been sent packing.
maigemuu:

i hope IBB won't not take over his government again as he was forcefully removed previously?
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by tabolaji: 8:11am On May 26, 2015
frisky2good:
Well, he needs the stupid senators to approve his nominees and guess who controls those senators........The governors.

listen to your thought! your are reasoning upside down my dear-make a u-turn.
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by Jesusloveyou: 8:12am On May 26, 2015
noblezone:
The constitution stated governors are to appoint Ministers.
If Buhari want to deviate from that, he needs constitutional amendment.

If he does that without an amendment, then he has broken the law.

If we support him to break the law because it suits us, then the law must be trashed completely and a new one done.

else, he will be teaching us to break the law that nothing will happen.
Anyway, he did break it before and nothing happened.

For those calling Jonathan names:
He was obeying the constitution of the Federal Republic of the Slave Camp, eemmm, sorry..Nigeria.

u must be an illiterate kid,and ur parents must be ashame for not wasting that sperm.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by menxer: 8:12am On May 26, 2015
Come to think of it, why do governors nominate names for ministerial positions, does the president nominate names for commissioners?
abeg make all man face their front. grin grin grin
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by daresimon(m): 8:14am On May 26, 2015
ryd3:
Walai I DE gbadun dis guy.... If I be woman I for spread my leg for am

Abeg u stil fi do am jor!!!

Jus bend down make d guy enter from the back.

U kno the way.
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by dewstar: 8:15am On May 26, 2015
A good step if/when he does this.
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by jidebaba69(m): 8:16am On May 26, 2015
That's what a leader is made of! He will not be tossed around by anybody he is here to do a job and stir this ship called Nigeria in the right direction.
God will give him the mental and physical strength to see it through. What he started in 1983 he will finish it now.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by Nobody: 8:20am On May 26, 2015
Jesusloveyou:
common sense is not common, how can he ignore power, wil he not use light in aso rock. has he not experience power blackout for d pass 16yrs or since 1960?
Whatever you mean by common sense is not common,if you're referring to me that you're very silly and immature. You don't have to insult me nor quote me,because I never quoted anyone. The last time I checked,i'm entitled to my view and opinion. Because you have free data doesn't mean you should insult anyone you feel like. won o ko e ni ile Iranu ti o ti jade ni. Omo oniran ki ran. Tell mummy to give you indomie noodles to eat.
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by hedonistic: 8:20am On May 26, 2015
SergeAlain:
My brother unfortunately removal of fuel subsidies in Nigeria will always by and by result in petrol price increases, let us not deceive our selves.

Why? Because the price of petrol depends mainly on global oil prices and forex exchange rates. Especially as long as we import petroleum products.

i.e. Global oil prices rise = increase in global prices of refined petrol = partly addressed by strong Naira = moderate rise in fuel prices!

or Global oil prices fall = fall in global prices of refined petrol = weakened Naira (because more then 80% of the forex earnings come from oil) = tends to cancel out effect of fall in oil prices = minimal fall in local petrol prices.

Meanwhile, the long term demand for crude oil means that it is unlikely to fall below $70 in the medium to long term (according to the Men wey sabi).

Exactly, and that is why Buhari is deceiving himself if he thinks Nigerians would applaud him for removing subsidies when he assumes office.

I have always maintained that you cannot put the cart before the horse in this subsidy matter. Nigerians can only approve subsidy removal when it translates to lower prices. This can ONLY happen when we have sufficient functional local refineries to meet local demand for petroleum products. If Buhari knows what he is doing , he should concentrate on fixing Nigeria's refineries and encouraging the construction of new ones BEFORE talking about removing subsidies. Otherwise, we will give him pure hell - worse than what Jonathan experienced in January 2012.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by philips70(m): 8:23am On May 26, 2015
hedonistic:

I believe what the guy is driving at is that the constitution stipulates that at least one minister MUST be appointed from each of Nigeria's 36 States.

It may be difficult for any president to personally know credible people to appoint from every single state of the federation, which means he must at times rely on recommendations/nominations by certain influential people in certain states. This is the rationale for the PDP's tradition of allowing governors recommend ministers. In Buhari's case, if it's not the governors that will recommend, we also hope that it wouldn't be equally discredited political power mongers like Bola Tinubu, Atiku, Saraki, etc? Otherwise, it wouldn't make any difference.

These credible Nigerians must not be recommended by influential people. Thing is there are technocrats who know technocrats around the country who are well known to him. Buhari sure has network of credible Nigerians around the country.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by ryd3(m): 8:23am On May 26, 2015
ichidodo:
That's just nasty....disgusting.
... and not disrespective ... Its a figurative way of showing how excited I am too see a true leader at last.
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by 49cents(m): 8:23am On May 26, 2015
PassingShot:
[s][/s]

Gibberish!

E don dey pain them

Lobbish......he must clear the mess he made

Nigerians don't just have pride as citizens....coupists are paid pensions as Head of State and you clap for them
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by Deluxii(m): 8:23am On May 26, 2015
Burger01:

Nada will happen to him. He's protected by God. Naija moses don arrivesmiley
Exactly no fear nothing will happen to Buhari coz God will not allow it. That's exactly the fear when the 1st black man (Obama) was elected as American President some years back but till today Obama is even enjoying his 8th years as the United State President hale and hearthy.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:24am On May 26, 2015
noblezone:
The constitution stated governors are to appoint Ministers.
If Buhari want to deviate from that, he needs constitutional amendment.

If he does that without an amendment, then he has broken the law.

If we support him to break the law because it suits us, then the law must be trashed completely and a new one done.

else, he will be teaching us to break the law that nothing will happen.
Anyway, he did break it before and nothing happened.

For those calling Jonathan names:
He was obeying the constitution of the Federal Republic of the Slave Camp, eemmm, sorry..Nigeria.

Governors don't appoint ministers, the President does. Before this time, as it's practised in the PDP, the governors recommended/nominated. Even at that, the President has the exclusive preserve to decline the recommendations.
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by TheAdvocate(m): 8:25am On May 26, 2015
If that's how Pa Buhari will govern, I see Tinubu in jail.
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by repogirl(f): 8:27am On May 26, 2015
When I see, then shall I believe!
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by dotune(m): 8:29am On May 26, 2015
U can see that this is isn't about APC, this is the sole reason we voted for Baba. Baba is teaching APC to embrace the CHANGE they are shouting. We r so full of hope. Even Jonathan and PDP will see that their Failure no get photocopy. May God strengthen Baba. Nigeria must be great again.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by TheAdvocate(m): 8:30am On May 26, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Governors don't appoint ministers, the President does. Before this time, as it's practised in the PDP, the governors recommended/nominated. Even at that, the President has the exclusive preserve to decline the recommendations.

The constitution says there shall be ministers and went further to say the President shall nominate and the National Assembly shall screen. The word "governor" was never mentioned anywhere near it. If I may ask, will the governors allow their local govt chairmen to nominate commissioners? I agree will ur postulations on all fours.
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:32am On May 26, 2015
Terabyteck:
The incoming president, who will be inaugurated on Friday, also gave an indication that he may not continue subsidy in the petroleum sector.

I believe Nigerians will not protest again for fuel ⛽ subsidy removal...

They went against GEJ for trying to remove this very subsidy.
There is nothing like subsidy.
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by agabaI23(m): 8:32am On May 26, 2015
Don't rejoice yet
When they chock him up he will deny saying this and claim he was misquoted.

We have heard these before
1. I will probe the military, I won't probe the military
2. I will probe past govt, I won't probe past govt...
3. I will make naira=dollar, I didn't say so
4. I will end Boko in 2 months, I did not say so
5. I will revive the economy, You have to be patient
6. The list goes on wink
7. Babaonechance kontinu
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:34am On May 26, 2015
TheAdvocate:

The constitution says there shall be ministers and went further to say the President shall nominate and the National Assembly shall screen. The word "governor" was never mentioned anywhere near it. If I may ask, will the governors allow their local govt chairmen to nominate commissioners? I agree will ur postulations on all fours.
Show me where I mentioned that the governors are in the Constitution in appointing ministers?
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by sweatlana: 8:36am On May 26, 2015
Take that asiwaju
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by sigmundfreud(m): 8:42am On May 26, 2015
The General is going Commando!
Re: Buhari Hands Shocker To Governors, Says They Won't Nominate Ministers by 49cents(m): 8:44am On May 26, 2015
SergeAlain:
Na wa for we Nigerians!!!

We are so quick to shout Hosanna Hosanna, but when it is time to take painful decisions we are fast to shout Crucify Him! Crucify Him!!!

These are just the preambles, the game starts from May 29th. Before then anything APC/GMB does has no real impact. Therefore he can afford to play to the gallery.

When the kick off whistle gos we will know which of these promises are real.

The challenges with not relying on the Governors' recommendations (like PDP does-- the Governors only recommend) are as follows;
1. The constitution requires at least 1 minister from each state, who does GMB know in Ebonyi state or indeed Ekiti, the chances are that he will have to settle for someone sub-optimal from here since his network in the State is by far less than the Governor's

2. This introduces the initial seeds of discord within the party. Some of these Governors shed blood for him. If he knew he was not going to countenance their recommendations, why did he accept their campaign funds and support? States like Osun, Rivers, Ogun are in serious trouble now with unpaid liabilities to civil servants, contractors etc.

3.Centralization and personalization of the selection of the cabinet is not necessarily a good thing.

In my humble view, the best thing would have been to simply define the minimum criteria /CV for each ministerial candidate and allow recommendations from as many sources as possible Party leadership, State Govs, Multi-lateral agencies (World bank, IFC ati be be lo) etc.

The path he seems to have chosen is populist, but it is a slippery slope!! If he loses the support of these political big wigs too early in the game his road will be much rougher. Meanwhile the populace are as flighty as 17 year old girl. They are very gullible, easily deceived and have little or no patience.

Like i always say, there will be no dull moment after May 29th!!! Make we dey watch sha!!

U sef what do u want

Jonathan let the big wigs have their way and where did it get him

Buhari does the opposite u criticse

Do you want the big wigs to keep on being the primary beneficiary of the government or what

I remain an unrepentant buhari opposser but his got it right here

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Abba Kyari Vs Monguno: Jokolo Says Buhari Recognises COS As ‘Deputy President’ / Kashim Shettima Visits Edwin Clark In Abuja (Photos) / Pls, Who Have An Idea About Alliance In Motion Global (AIM)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.