Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,780 members, 7,831,511 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! - Family (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! (51502 Views)

I Hereby Denounce Feminism With Everything In Me. / Feminism: The True Colour / Girl Destroys Feminism In Just 3 Minutes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 10:04pm On Jun 05, 2015
Bukatyne, I thought you'd abandoned the discussion grin

Listen, you really must marshal your arguments better, and rebut more precisely. Half the time I'm convinced you either misread, or knowingly misinterpret what I write undecided. And please quit the appeals to emotion and whiney spiritualising, they ruin the little good work you do angry

Again; I have said that your take on the scriptural view on marriage omits certain specifics, and indeed, it knowingly wills them away. To do this you have to ignore certain verses altogether and put a spin on others.

My contention is that this arises due to your imbibing the feminist ideology. That is all the discussion required - anything extraneous should be left aside, or at least genuinely further the discussion at hand.

Emotionalism such as "TV does not sit on the board of heaven" does not progress this discussion - not that you know that for certain cool! And neither does spiritualising it by saying "God told me.

Indeed, God can tell an individual to tithe for a season or a reason, but it does not mean that tithing is mandatory for all Christians, and now all scripture has to be revised to make this practice doctrine.

So, more than happy to have this discussion, but only if you can keep it tight. As ever you are free to refrain.

1. Is a wife to obey her husband?
2. Does the role of husband come with authority over his household - including his wife?

TV

bukatyne:

4 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by ApexTitan(m): 10:45pm On Jun 05, 2015
Kay17:

Thankfully you saw how ridiculous that generalization was. Even in any context a bad leader will demonstrate bad leadership skills and make bad decisions because leadership in marriage or a family or at the workplace rely on the same leadership skills. So men are not natural born leaders, instead it spreads wildly between men and women. Therefore a skilled leader in skirts can be as good a leader in trousers.

I will repeat the point I have been trying to make again: In a marriage between a man and a woman the man is best suited to assume the leadership/dominant role. His very nature expects and demands that of him. If this notion is difficult to understand then perhaps the following statement should, upon careful consideration, make things clearer; in a marriage the woman is best equipped to play the child bearing role. This is not to say that this is the woman's only role but when question of child bearing is considered in a man/woman relationship this lot falls squarely on the woman. In the same vein questions of dominance/leadership fall squarely on the man. [In making this statement I am in no way implying that women are incapable of assuming any kind of leadership position, far from it, this assertion of male dominance is pertinent within the dynamics of inter-gender relations which in this case is marriage!]

Since men and women are equals and both can exhibit leadership skills, why place barriers against women. Maybe you need to admit you do not understand the vibrancy of womenfolk and instead try fixing her in a predetermined box.

You are still operating under a faulty premise. Men and women are not equal. They are complimentary. Just as the heart is not equal to the lungs and the eyes are not equal to the ears so are men not equal to women. By their very natures their existential experiences and functions are markedly different and yet complimentary as a whole.

As a man I am of the conviction that womanhood, true womanhood and not the caricatures that it is forced to assume today, is of the uttermost importance to humanity. A vitalising and ennobling influence as can be found nowhere else lies with the woman. I have no intentions of belittling her or stifling her potentials, I am only calling out a misconception that is the root of much that has gone wrong with our world today.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 10:50pm On Jun 05, 2015
ApexTitan:

I will repeat the point I have been trying to make again: In a marriage between a man and a woman the man is best suited to assume the leadership/dominant role. His very nature expects and demands that of him. If this notion is difficult to understand then perhaps the following statement should, upon careful consideration, make things clearer; in a marriage the woman is best equipped to play the child bearing role. This is not to say that this is the woman's only role but when question of child bearing is considered in a man/woman relationship this lot falls squarely on the woman. In the same vein questions of dominance/leadership fall squarely on the man. [In making this statement I am in no way implying that women are incapable of assuming any kind of leadership position, far from it, this assertion of male dominance is pertinent within the dynamics of inter-gender relations which in this case is marriage!]

You are still operating under a faulty premise. Men and women are not equal. They are complimentary. Just as the heart is not equal to the lungs and the eyes are not equal to the ears so are men not equal to women. By their very natures their existential experiences and functions are markedly different and yet complimentary as a whole.

As a man I am of the conviction that womanhood, true womanhood and not the caricatures that it is forced to assume today, is of the uttermost importance to humanity. A vitalising and ennobling influence as can be found nowhere else lies with the woman. I have no intentions of belittling her stifling her potentials, I am only calling out a misconception that is the root of much that has gone wrong with our world today.

Had to log back in to appreciate this post.

Ace!

TV

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 11:06pm On Jun 05, 2015
...I missed some bits in my haste. These are just courtesy responses and not part of the main convo.

bukatyne:
You do not believe in tithing/ sole Pastorship or head of a local assembly or that drinking alcohol is a sin. All those are also scripturally suspect to me.
Mandatory tithing is a part of the law and for Christians done away with. Believers are enjoined to give according to their hearts desires with no compulsion. Anyway, what if I claimed "God spoke to me about tithe", would it trump your reading of scripture? Regardless, I studied tithe inside out - it's what actually led me to NL - unless you have your own study to hand, please don't go there with me grin.

The local church is always headed by a plurality - of male grin - elders. Nowhere in scripture is a single person mandated to "rule" a congregation. That is the rule although I can see some atypical situations.

The Lord turned water into wine, was He an enabler of sin? Paul said "take a little wine for your infirmities sake". Wine is alcoholic and proven to be medicinal. The sin in alcohol is irresponsible/inappropriate/over consumption. Gluttony is also a sin - does that make food a sin ?

bukatyne:
And a husband and wife has equal agency in their marriage?

Really?

Equal agency?
Yes, in a polygamous setting the desires and wills of the multiple-side spouses are all compromised by each other. A biblical/monogamous marital union will not have that problem - only the wills/desires of the two are in play. Does not have anything to say about roles and responsibilities - please ask rather than wilfully mis-ascribe things. It's another area you need to work on.

TV
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by ApexTitan(m): 11:23pm On Jun 05, 2015
TV01:

Had to log back in to appreciate this post.

Ace!

TV

Gratias

smiley
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 1:07am On Jun 06, 2015
ApexTitan:

I will repeat the point I have been trying to make again: In a marriage between a man and a woman the man is best suited to assume the leadership/dominant role. His very nature expects and demands that of him. If this notion is difficult to understand then perhaps the following statement should, upon careful consideration, make things clearer; in a marriage the woman is best equipped to play the child bearing role. This is not to say that this is the woman's only role but when question of child bearing is considered in a man/woman relationship this lot falls squarely on the woman. In the same vein questions of dominance/leadership fall squarely on the man. [In making this statement I am in no way implying that women are incapable of assuming any kind of leadership position, far from it, this assertion of male dominance is pertinent within the dynamics of inter-gender relations which in this case is marriage!

Rather than address what I said, you are repeating what I have already addressed!

As a man I am of the conviction that womanhood, true womanhood and not the caricatures that it is forced to assume today, is of the uttermost importance to humanity. A vitalising and ennobling influence as can be found nowhere else lies with the woman. I have no intentions of belittling her or stifling her potentials, I am only calling out a misconception that is the root of much that has gone wrong with our world today.

Since men and women are not equal but complimentary then either the man or the woman is superior to the other. And since you are a man, you are obviously pushing the agenda that men are superior grin

Now this 'true womanhood' you talk about is the inferior weak woman. You want women to conform to your own image of womanhood which is a weak individual. We can disagree, its valid to disagree about this. But I do not want my mother or daughters to end up as weak creatures.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by cococandy(f): 1:09am On Jun 06, 2015
Who else is dizzy from all the long posts?

Dizzy-eye emoticon needed.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by NifemiOlu(m): 7:45am On Jun 06, 2015
cococandy:
Who else is dizzy from all the long posts?

Dizzy-eye emoticon needed.

Same here...

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by troy20(m): 8:16am On Jun 06, 2015
coogaluta:

My people. I'm in love with this guy cheesy kiss
she is a woman please
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by troy20(m): 9:56am On Jun 06, 2015
cococandy:
While I was growing up, I used to hear phrases like "ugwu nwanyi bu di ya"
Loosely translates to "a woman is not worthy of respect except she has a man in her life:husband"

As young as I was, I didn't need anyone to tell me how wrong those teachings were. Little little things that subtly encouraged women to believe they were worth nothing except with the approval of a man.

If it takes having to endure one jab or the other here and there to help promote the idea that as woman your life shouldn't be what it is dictated to you as or that your worth as a human being isn't tied to a man, then so be it.

I'm so unapologetic about my support for feminism. Very very so.
The useless guilt trips won't work as long as the discrimination still exists.

I'll try not act amused when folks coin new words like womanism abi na womanitarianism or equity (and all those other euphemisms) to try to get away from associating directly with the feminist core because of the bad rap,

It is what it is.
It is feminism. It is about gender equality.
cococandy see how you lie and twist a healthy igbo adage just to make your point.there is no length you wont go eh? "Ugwu nwanyi bu di ya" clearly means "the diginity of a woman is her husband".'di ya' is even a husband for christsake! it is a whole lot different from "a woman is not worthy of respect except she has a man in her life" whether loosely or not."ugwu nwanyi bu di ya"is an adage mostly used by older women towards younger women to emphasis the importance of respect and responsibility towards there husbands and homes.its more didactic.it is an adage mainly said to married women or intending wives as advice among other things a mother tells her married daughter as she builds her home.there is even a song created by women for it.cococandy knows it and more.so why twist a rich african cultural adage into such example to support your dark pursuites.anything to bring men to there knees eh? honestly its really cruel and malisciously wicked.this is just one of the reasons men are mistrustfull of the intents of feminism.am still struggling with my live experience of feisty feminists whom no doubt from actions are just out to get men and some comments here trying to describe the noble purpose of feminism.feminism is a nicely masked hatred of men and what we represent.i think men should be extreemly carefull of the women in their lives.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by crackhaus: 10:40am On Jun 06, 2015
Hmmmm, interesting... not surprised though, but still interesting gringrin

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by babygirlfl: 11:01am On Jun 06, 2015
Dignity= the state or quality of being worthy of honour or respect.

The dignity of a woman is her husband

The state or quality of being worthy of honour or respect of a woman is her husband.

The translation still put women down and is no different from cococandy's translation.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 11:45am On Jun 06, 2015
troy20:

cococandy see how you lie and twist a healthy igbo adage just to make your point.there is no length you wont go eh? "Ugwu nwanyi bu di ya" clearly means "the diginity of a woman is her husband".'di ya' is even a husband for christsake! it is a whole lot different from "a woman is not worthy of respect except she has a man in her life" whether loosely or not."ugwu nwanyi bu di ya"is an adage mostly used by older women towards younger women to emphasis the importance of respect and responsibility towards there husbands and homes.its more didactic.it is an adage mainly said to married women or intending wives as advice among other things a mother tells her married daughter as she builds her home.there is even a song created by women for it.cococandy knows it and more.so why twist a rich african cultural adage into such example to support your dark pursuites.anything to bring men to there knees eh? honestly its really cruel and malisciously wicked.this is just one of the reasons men are mistrustfull of the intents of feminism.am still struggling with my live experience of feisty feminists whom no doubt from actions are just out to get men and some comments here trying to describe the noble purpose of feminism.feminism is a nicely masked hatred of men and what we represent.i think men should be extreemly carefull of the women in their lives.

hahahaha!
cococandy has been busted - she feels she's the only one that knows igbo language.

nice spot, bro!

8 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 06, 2015
babygirlfl:

The state or quality of being worthy of honour or respect of a woman is her husband.

The translation still put women down and is no different from cococandy's translation.
I've unfollowed this thread long ago, and when I saw your comment, I had to check the posts here and it seems interesting.

*follows* grin

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by troy20(m): 1:43pm On Jun 06, 2015
babygirlfl:

you just picked a word out and it sums up the meaning of an entire sentence? I dont suppose thats how you studied to make your grades(no insult meant)but that adage was to emphasis the headship of a man in a home and is mainly used in such contexts.this is culture.no tribe respect women more than we do.and go verify we have the most number of women who where unable to get married doing well and duelly respected.but i forgot, feminism and feminists such as you does not recognise the headship of a man in his home.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by troy20(m): 1:57pm On Jun 06, 2015
VictoriaBee:

Anyone that doesn't agree with you men is a female.
I assume that Ewu4 abi na Ewuro4 is a man or transgender that transformed from a man to woman like those shemales that hate on female gender.
frankely speaking she is a woman.she has revealed it once.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by babygirlfl: 1:59pm On Jun 06, 2015
troy20:

you just picked a word out and it sums up the meaning of an entire sentence? I dont suppose thats how you studied to make your grades(no insult meant)but that adage was to emphasis the headship of a man in a home and is mainly used in such contexts.this is culture.no tribe respect women more than we do.and go verify we have the most number of women who where unable to get married doing well and duelly respected.but i forgot, feminism and feminists such as you does not recognise the headship of a man in his home.

It would be nice if you replied without any insult whether meant or not. I did not insult you neither did I quote you because I knew you were the type that like insulting people.
I understand Igbo very well and I know exactly what that adage means.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Ewuro4: 1:59pm On Jun 06, 2015
I think the thread has fufilled it's purpose.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by troy20(m): 2:00pm On Jun 06, 2015
babygirlfl:

It would be nice if you replied without any insult whether meant or not. I did not insult you neither did I quote you because I knew you were the type that like insulting people.
sorry
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by troy20(m): 2:00pm On Jun 06, 2015
babygirlfl:

sorry
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 06, 2015
troy20:
frankely speaking she is a woman.she has revealed it once.
Pics, pls?
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by babygirlfl: 2:06pm On Jun 06, 2015
troy20:

sorry

Thank you very much and great respect for you for apologising. If we all can calm down, we might just see where the other person is coming from. We don't have to change our stance but not argueing or insulting the other person gives us opportunity to get to the dept of discussion. Again thanks.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Ewuro4: 2:39pm On Jun 06, 2015
VictoriaBee:
Ewuro4, unlike you, my mother has a life and she doesn't come online to leak ass.

Dolt. cheesy

I see that. grin
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 06, 2015
Ewuro4:

I see that. grin
Says a transgendered. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (26) (Reply)

My Wife Says Her Libido Is Dead. / See What This Kid Is Wearing / Pregnant Naija Lady Bares Babybump In Shoot With Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.