Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,304 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:30 AM

The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) (2272 Views)

Ben Murray-Bruce shares Nigeria's Unfortunate Reality Of "Change" / Secession From Nigeria: An Invitation To Retrogression / Jonathan’s Statement That He’s Not Finished With Nigeria An Expensive Joke-muric (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by johnydon22(m): 2:17pm On Jun 02, 2015
I grew up with this stanza of the National anthem ringing into my ears right from the time i learnt how to speak To love our father's Land, with love and strength and faith"

I grew up to love dearly the country i found myself in and still do so, this thread is not an attack on any tribe but a call to order for we the leaders of today to take back our land, time to tell our father's of yesterday,
"Please it's Our turn, let us do it our way, seat back and watch"

The labour of our heroes past Who were our heroes ?

Nigeria was created in January 1914, when the Northern and Southern protectorates were merged under Lord Frederick Lugard.

What was the motive behind this union?
Let us hear directly from Lord Harcourt (Colonial Secretary) himself..
We have released the north (northern protectorate) from the leading strings of the treasury( British treasury).
The promising and well behaved youth(north) is now on an allowance on his own.
And is about to effect an alliance with a southern lady of means(Southern protectorate). I have issued the special license and Sir Frederick Lugard will perform the ceremony.
May the union be fruitful and the couple, constant Lord Harcourt (1st Januluary 1914)

The couple constant, We hope.

What did our Founding Fathers think? Did they buy this idea of One Nigeria? Let us look at some of their speeches to see if we can grasp a little of what they thought. .

Tafawa Balewa stated in the legislative council in 1948
“Since 1914 the British Government has been trying to make Nigeria into one
country, but the Nigerian people themselves are historically different in their
backgrounds, in their religious beliefs and customs and do not show
themselves any sign of willingness to unite... Nigerian unity is only a British
intention for the country.”

A look at this will show you he didn't think it was working, We all know he was later the Prime Minister of Nigeria.

He also stated in a speech in the Northern House of Assembly in kaduna (1952)
`the Southern people who are
swarming into this region daily in large numbers are really intruders.
We don`t want them and they are not welcome here in the North. Since the
amalgamation in 1914, the British Government has been trying to make Nigeria
into one country, but the Nigerian people are different in every way including
religion, custom, language and aspiration. The fact that we`re all Africans
might have misguided the British Government. We here in the North, take it
that `Nigerian unity` is not for us`.

And my question to this is, A man moving from one place to another in his COUNTRY, is he an immigrant or an intruder or just a citizen of the country exercising his franchise?

Then Again Our dearly respected Chief Obafemi Awolowo Once said in 1947
"Nigeria is not a nation. It is a mere geographical expression. The word Nigerian is merely a
distinctive appellation to distinguish those who live within the boundaries of Nigeria from those who
do not".

- Path To Nigerian Freedom, 1947

Is he right?
My question is to us leaders of today, The youths of Nigeria. Do we agree that our country is just a geographical expression?

In his autobiography “My Life” Sir Ahmadu Bello described the amalgamation
of the Northern and the Southern Provinces as
“The mistake of 1914.”

Let us not forget that Parties then were based on tribal tribal allegiance.. Example.
National Conference of Nigeria and Cameroon(NCPC) of which Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe belonged was An eastern dominated or inclined party.

Action Congress (AG) Obafemi Awolowo belonged was western inclined.

Northern People's Congess (NPC) was predominant in the North.

It is impossible to state important events in Nigeria without mentioning the Nigerian Civil War of 1967 of which in Aburi where the young leaders of the troubling Nigeria met to determine the fate of the nation.

Odumegwu Ojukwu stated
Let us go further apart and be together
When he proposed a Confederal System of Government of which his comrades agreed to after much discussions and healthy arguments.

It is also remarkable to say that; The Ending part of the Accord basked in the light of a friendly scenario, they laughed and played around as comrades in the army they all were. Ceremonial decorations were thrown off the window, Gowon was referred to as Jack (A named his comrades know him with in the military) while Ojukwu was called Emeka.. it was a friendly turn that didn't just end in a hand shake but a hug between Ojukwu and Gowon.

I have pointed this out to show our youths that these set of leaders (Ojukwu/Gowon) set had the chance to change Nigeria for good. they had the chance to correct the mistakes of our fathers.

We are in the 21st century, Nigeria is still battered from every angle by the same cankerwormous factors that have been rubbing us of our peace since 1914. . We have the likes of Niger/Deltar Militancy, MASOB, MASOP, OPC, Islamic Bank, Boko Haram Terrorism, Continued cries of marginalization from every angle.

Coming to Nairaland political section, I can rightly say that we are about to trail in the footsteps of our fathers.

No this is wrong, we should do it in our own way. . . The tribal grudge, sentiments, bigotry and hatred our fathers may have had in past is their own cup of tea and doesn't concern us.

Let us show them that Nigeria is more than just "A geographical Expression" that Nigeria is not "a mistake" That nigeria " Can stay together and be in peace"

The ball is in our court to correct these mistakes, not make the same mistake for the third time in history. We can teach our fathers what they failed to teach us.

I was stated in one of my threads about the need to employ real federalism in this system were many differences can be identified in us.

In a confederal system of government, A man from eastern region cannot
go to the west to vote or be voted for and same applies to others.

But we have employed a federal system of government and thus in doing
this we have broken down any wall separating us.

We have only one Federal Republic of Nigeria, and so in this FEDERAL
system of government, their is nothing like Igbo land, yoruba land, hausa
land, tiv land; what we have is Nigeria.

So a yoruba man in the north is not an immigrant or a visitor, he is at
home and have every right to own a property and contest for any post
there in the north be it governor or anything as long as he is voted for,
he is eligible and qualified.

An hausa man in the east is not an immigrant or a visitor, he is a
Nigerian in Nigeria and that is it.

Same goes for an igbo man in the west. That is true federalism.
But we are not doing that, the federal system in Nigeria is not true
federalism because people still think they own one specific region but
this is not true... FEDERALISM MEANS ONE NIGERIA and that is all.
https://www.nairaland.com/2268066/aburi-prophecy

This is my own little way of calling on our youths especially in this forum, let us teach our fathers what federalism means, let us forget tribalistic claims and think of One Nigeria.

Only us have the power to achieve this, and if we fail, what do we think our children will do. Will they fail like us too?

I think the time to act is now and now always. . They call us leaders of tomorrow, we have to refuse answering that and start seeing our tomorrow in today, we take our fate in our hands.

Let me stop here but not without showing my stance.. Nnamdi Azikiwe stated
Let us forget our differences and live together

Everyone can add to what i said but please no tribal inclined comments, and i call on the MODS to help and remove any comment they think is tribally tilted, we are trying to build not destroy...
Let the love that binds us together be stronger than ethnicity that separates us.

My Opinion. . . Thanks...

I am a Nigerian from Enugu state

I love Nigeria
I love Hausa
I love Yoruba
I love Igbo
I love Ijaw
Niger/Delta and every other tribes in the Four geographical points of Nigeria. . .
Let us actualize the last sentence of our Anthem.
"One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity"

LET US MAKE ONE NIGERIA, A REALITY

By Johnydon22

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 02, 2015
Nigeria is a fraud

14 Likes

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Rilwayne001: 2:27pm On Jun 02, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Nigeria is a fraud

Better prepare to hang yourself because Nigeria will remain for life, nothing like Biafra.

You try nonsense you rot in jail. This is Buhari era, not the clueless drunkard era undecided

GOD BLESS NIGERIA cool
GOD BLESS PMB cool
NAIJAFORLIFE.
Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by johnydon22(m): 2:29pm On Jun 02, 2015
Rilwyne001 and SHARIAREPORTERS This is exactly what am against....please stop it
Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Idiataqueen(f): 2:29pm On Jun 02, 2015
If d northern should stop thinking they are born to rule and d igbo and nigerdelta can also rule Nigeria is not ruleing o i mean rule it peacefully without dem promising hell, den wahalli i also believe Nigeria is one without dat abeg where is the exit road.
Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 02, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Better prepare to hang yourself because Nigeria will remain for life, nothing like Biafra.

You try nonsense you rot in jail. This is Buhari era, not the clueless drunkard era undecided

GOD BLESS NIGERIA cool
GOD BLESS PMB cool
NAIJAFORLIFE.
Am a niger deltan
I don't believe in one "nigeria"
And if we rise morrow
Nobody, not even Buhari will do anytin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by DickTator1: 2:32pm On Jun 02, 2015
@OP very intelligent write up, thumbs up for your research.

But it was unanimous by our past leaders that Nigeria is a scam by the Brits.

Awolowo captured it here with this epic:
"Nigeria is not a nation. It is a mere geographical expression. The word Nigerian is merely a
distinctive appellation to distinguish those who live within the boundaries of Nigeria from those who
do not".

- Path To Nigerian Freedom, 1947

1 Like

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jun 02, 2015
There can never be One Nigeria ,ask oba Akiolu.The tin is dat they don't even knw dat a confederal system will help the region's develop in a fast pace and mutual respect exist, but some old Generals (ty danjuma,northern generals) that own southern oil wells will make the country ungovernable for any government attempting a confederal system of governance.

5 Likes

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Macelliot(m): 2:41pm On Jun 02, 2015
ONE NIGERIA IN DECEIT
Chief Obafemi Awolow..
In 1947

Nigeria is not a Nation. Nigeria is a mere geographical expression.
In 1967, Ojukwu declared Biafra..
Awolowo told the Northern Leaders

If the Biafra secede from this country, the Oodua Nation will follow suite
The same Man sabotaged the Biafrans because of the One-Nigeria, he himself tagged a Mere geographical expression...

Typical example of a Yoruba Man..

3 Likes

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by PedroJP(m): 2:49pm On Jun 02, 2015
"Let is forget our differences and live together" Zik's self deception

Nigeria is a scam from Britain, that should have been rejected from onset. Soon, we will right the wrong of our leaders past.

Let's stop deceiving ourselves, there is nothing one in Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Macelliot(m): 2:50pm On Jun 02, 2015
Rilwayne001:

GOD BLESS NIGERIA cool
GOD BLESS PMB cool
NAIJAFORLIFE.
One Nigeria Indeed!
Threatening People with your one Nigeria...
Where was ONE NIGERIA when boko boys are clamouring for an Islamic state??
Where is ONE NIGERIA when Oba of Lagoon was threatening to drown a group of people from the same country for not sharing his own political idealogy?? You call that democracy?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Macelliot(m): 2:55pm On Jun 02, 2015
Where is ONE NIGERIA when the Fulani herdsmen where busy attacking, maiming, killing, and commiting mass slaughter on innocent citizens??

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jun 02, 2015
Rilwayne001:

GOD BLESS NIGERIA cool
GOD BLESS PMB cool
NAIJAFORLIFE.

I smell ur from the north.

Now tell me, Why is ur that u hate Biafra

Na ur business

Is it the oil in SS that u don't want to lose

Why try to keep Nigeria together when Yoruba says they want oduduwa republic, where igbos want Biafra, wen middle belt want republic of the middle belt n the SS want republic of the Niger delta

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by johnydon22(m): 2:56pm On Jun 02, 2015
DickTator1:
@OP very intelligent write up, thumbs up for your research.

But it was unanimous by our past leaders that Nigeria is a scam by the Brits.

Awolowo captured it here with this epic:

Yes bro, i agree they were unanimous about it.

You saw the quote of Lord Harcourt on the Amalgamation.

The union has been shaky since 1914, and it has survived for 101years now still as shaky as ever.

Since all this shakiness and unrest have not broken up the entity Nigeria, is it not better we all drop our grievances and make it liveable ..

Since separation have not been actualized why not forget about disrupting our peace and progress in the name of seeking separation

and

Work for our own common peace and progress, i think the notion of one NIGERIA will come naturally if this is achieved. (Peace and Progress)

1 Like

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 02, 2015
chuna1985:

Na ur business

Why try to keep Nigeria together when Yoruba says they want oduduwa republic, where igbos want Biafra, wen middle belt want republic of the middle belt n the SS want republic of the Niger delta

No mind dat guy
Na kwara pikin
Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Macelliot(m): 3:06pm On Jun 02, 2015
Biafra should sue the Nigerian Govt. to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for civil war genocide...
Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Rilwayne001: 3:13pm On Jun 02, 2015
chuna1985:

Na ur business

We love Igbo and niger deltans, We don't want them to go.
grin
God bless Nigeria cool
Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by DankemzI(m): 3:24pm On Jun 02, 2015
Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by RomanticAngela(f): 3:26pm On Jun 02, 2015
chigo93:
There can never be One Nigeria ,ask oba Akiolu.The tin is dat they don't even knw dat a confederal system will help the region's develop in a fast pace and mutual respect exist, but some old Generals (ty danjuma,northern generals) that own southern oil wells will make the country ungovernable for any government attempting a confederal system of governance.
Very convenient of you to blame Oba Akiolu, TY Danjuma, Northern Generals etc whilst exonerating your own covetous ibo leaders.

If not of the greed of the ibo coupist who killed other regional leaders whilst sparing theirs on Jan '66, Nigeria wouldnt be where it is now; if not of Aguyi Ironsi, an ibo man who abolsihed regionalism and foisted the unitary system of government on us, Nigeria might be a lot better now.

Blame the ibos

4 Likes

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by RomanticAngela(f): 3:28pm On Jun 02, 2015
OP, nice write up
excellent research
more ink to your pen

but you know what? I really pray Nigeria divides, i long for the day we will all go our separate ways. NIGERIA MUST DIVIDE

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jun 02, 2015
U are nt well informed. Go find out the reason for the coup,dat coup wz intended to make Azikiwe a casualty too,but it failed.
RomanticAngela:
Very convenient of you to blame Oba Akiolu, TY Danjuma, Northern Generals etc whilst exonerating your own covetous ibo leaders.

If not of the greed of the ibo coupist who killed other regional leaders whilst sparing theirs on Jan '66, Nigeria wouldnt be where it is now; if not of Aguyi Ironsi, an ibo man who abolsihed regionalism and foisted the unitary system of government on us, Nigeria might be a lot better now.

Blame the ibos

1 Like

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jun 02, 2015
Rilwayne001:

We love Igbo and niger deltans, We don't want them to go.
grin
God bless Nigeria cool

Well we don't Love the north because of their blood thirst n we definitely don't love the South West.

2 Likes

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:00pm On Jun 02, 2015
this is nice : lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by docsholz(m): 4:15pm On Jun 02, 2015
Op keep dreaming

1 Like

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 02, 2015
one nigeria bla bla blah! not until total Shariah is implemented.

1 Like

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by drake22: 4:36pm On Jun 02, 2015
Rilwayne001:

GOD BLESS NIGERIA cool
GOD BLESS PMB cool
NAIJAFORLIFE.

I know you hate Igbos so much.
Why did u like to live with people you hate?
Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 02, 2015
Macelliot:
Where is ONE NIGERIA when the Fulani herdsmen where busy attacking, maiming, killing, and commiting mass slaughter on innocent citizens??

And how is that the fault of Nigeria? In every country, there are bad people. So these people would always carry out their evil deeds regardless of country, tribe or religion. Have you forgotten 9/11? Did the US send out every Muslim because they are thought to be potential terrorists? There are Fulani herds men that are far more peaceful than people from your tribe or village, so don't use the action of a few to justify your proposed action. Now am tempted to ask: what you have done as a Nigerian to solve the problem? Stop whining about your country's problems, but seek ways to solve them. Trust me, you would be richer as a result.

I know it is best for Nigeria to remain one than be divided. Or else, we would fight each other until our Sun finally dies. Because there would be so many reasons to enter into a war after our disintegration. Do you also know that powerful Nigerians, from all tribes, have so much to lose if this country breaks? This is why I am 99.99% sure this country can never break again. We had our chance, but we blew it. Any other thing that groups like MASSOB or OPC does is just distraction.

Like it or not, ONE NIGERIA ! angry
Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Sweetguy25: 5:11pm On Jun 02, 2015
How can you succeed on a mission where your fathers all failed? Do you reason at all?

2 Likes

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by johnydon22(m): 5:22pm On Jun 02, 2015
Sweetguy25:
How can you succeed on a mission where your fathers all failed? Do you reason at all?

Because i am not my father and neither are you your father. . . We cannot live like them or for them, we live like us for us...

The social world is always evolving. . If everyone keeps doing exactly what their father did, am not sure if the world would move at all... Do i still reason at all?

1 Like

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by atlwireles: 5:25pm On Jun 02, 2015
There's nothing we can achieve in this current Nigeria. The experiment of the last 54 years has answered the people living or hoping on this pipe dream. Look at Yugoslavia, USSR, Czechoslovakia, are they better off today, than before?

I have always imagined a united states of western Europe, what a messy it would have been to mankind.

Nigeria is a failure, a bad business deal, time to pull the plug.

2 Likes

Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 02, 2015
atlwireles:
There's nothing we can achieve in this current Nigeria. The experiment of the last 54 years has answered the people living or hoping on this pipe dream. Look at Yugoslavia, USSR, Czechoslovakia, are they better off today, than before?

I have always imagined a united states of western Europe, what a messy it would have been to mankind.

Nigeria is a failure, a bad business deal, time to pull the plug.

Then do the unplugging for us.
Re: The Irony And Reality Of One Nigeria (an Opinion) by atlwireles: 5:43pm On Jun 02, 2015
theAtheist101:

Then do the unplugging for us.

You have already

(1) (2) (Reply)

Saudi King Books Entire Hotel For 3 nights Ahead Of His Meeting With Obama / Not Many Know That Fuel Is Still Sold @n120/ltr / How To Shutt Down The High Cost Of Governance In Nigeria By Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.