Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,209 members, 7,818,707 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:26 PM

Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm (107133 Views)

Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 8:10pm On Jul 14, 2015
obamat:
Nedzze5 You are lucky getting all this snails o, there is no snail where I dey here in PHC can you help me get some I am planning to stock about 100 snails more hope the pen will be big enough

Sorry for late reply. The pen is big enough for 100 snails. I currently have 110 "big" snails in my pen, a white snail bucket so this one will house them and space will still remain.

As for stocking, where are you in PHC? Maybe we can meet and talk further about that.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 11:06am On Jul 15, 2015
Pictures of my new pen

3 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 15, 2015
Neduzze5:
Pictures of my new pen

N u did this yourself! wow! that's really cool. Why did you lay nylon on the floor of the pen?

I reside in Lagos and I am also intending on starting mine too. I figured a really big pen that can house a lot with category for eggs, the adults and the newly hatched. And I am thinking going commercial too, especially exporting them cos there's a high demand for big African snails. tho I dunno how easy or hard it is to export them.

Anyone got ideas?

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by obamat: 3:16pm On Jul 15, 2015
Neduzze5:

Sorry for late reply. The pen is big enough for 100 snails. I currently have 110 "big" snails in my pen, a white snail bucket so this one will house them and space will still remain.

As for stocking, where are you in PHC? Maybe we can meet and talk further about that.

I am in Agip Estate pls give me a call 08090448619 I will appreciate
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 7:14pm On Jul 15, 2015
Mattkent:

N u did this yourself! wow! that's really cool. Why did you lay nylon on the floor of the pen?

I reside in Lagos and I am also intending on starting mine too. I figured a really big pen that can house a lot with category for eggs, the adults and the newly hatched. And I am thinking going commercial too, especially exporting them cos there's a high demand for big African snails. tho I dunno how easy or hard it is to export them.

Anyone got ideas?

Yes... I did it myself. Very stressful something. Took me almost a week to get it done.

The nylon is to avoid small insects and ants from getting into the pen from the small holes underneath the penpen.

Dunno much about exportation of snails but when I get enough quantity of snails, I can then start talking about exporting.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 15, 2015
[quote author=Neduzze5 post=35901481]
Yes... I did it myself. Very stressful something. Took me almost a week to get it done.

The nylon is to avoid small insects and ants from getting into the pen from the small holes underneath the penpen.

Dunno much about exportation of snails but when I get enough quantity of snails, I can then start talking about exporting.[/quote

I have a good feeling your hard work will pay sooner or later, directly or indirectly. Keep it up bro. I wish a lot of we youths can take advantage of our resources.

I think it will be nice if we made prior inquiry abt the export stuff. I'm going to do that and share it hopefully

3 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 3:48pm On Jul 16, 2015
Mattkent:
I have a good feeling your hard work will pay sooner or later, directly or indirectly. Keep it up bro. I wish a lot of we youths can take advantage of our resources.

I think it will be nice if we made prior inquiry abt the export stuff. I'm going to do that and share it hopefully

Thank you dear. I'll begin researching into snail exportation. Hopefully, it will be worthwhile.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 4:04pm On Jul 16, 2015
Moved the pen to its new site yesterday but I was not able to take pictures of them.

But I took the pictures today.

Feed your eyes wink

Pic One is section for the bigger sized snails
Pic Two is section for the smaller sized snails
Pic Three is Picture of pen from afar

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by topcube(m): 8:49am On Jul 17, 2015
This is encouraging & honestly, I was there when you started this thread, I will only come, read comment & leave. So far, you're doing very great, you motivated me so much that I started researching, & from my findings, snail farming is prolific on a long time range. My question now is, what about those of us that are students schooling far away from home, can't we belong to this family? Knowning that, there are no spaces or farmland around hostels except my (our) room(s).

2 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 11:55am On Jul 17, 2015
topcube:
This is encouraging & honestly, I was there when you started this thread, I will only come, read comment & leave. So far, you're doing very great, you motivated me so much that I started researching, & from my findings, snail farming is prolific on a long time range. My question now is, what about those of us that are students schooling far away from home, can't we belong to this family? Knowning that, there are no spaces or farmland around hostels except my (our) room(s).

Thanks bro for the encouragement. As for the starting up of something, it would be really hard to begin this around the school environment especially with lack of space.

But if you have a sibling/siblings at home, you can set up a pen when you go for holidays and tell them to help you look after it very well for a little token.

And if possible, you can search around your school depending on how it is for snails which you'd add to the stock at home.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by JohnQueen(m): 10:53pm On Jul 17, 2015
I like this. Big ups bruv. Planning to start snail farming too, but still at the research phase for now.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 7:41pm On Jul 18, 2015
JohnQueen:
I like this. Big ups bruv. Planning to start snail farming too, but still at the research phase for now.

Thank you sir. You can ask me any questions you wish to know about snail rearing/heliciculture and I'll do my best to answer.

Start as soon as you can. The Xmas period is at hand!!

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 7:45pm On Jul 18, 2015
Good evening house. Today was clean up Saturday for my snails. Just cleaned up the pen and turned up the soil in the pen and removed the leftover food in there. In the course of cleaning up, I was able to retrieve 21 eggs from the pen. Some were buried deep in the soil while some were laid on the surface of the soil.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 7:48pm On Jul 18, 2015
I finished building my hatchery/nursery today although it is quite small but starting small helps you learn about the trade well so as to avoid costly mistakes when you enter into it on a full scale.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 7:53pm On Jul 18, 2015
Feed your eyes

Picture 1 is exterior view of my hatchery/nursery

Picture 2 is interior view of my hatchery/nursery

Picture 3 is the closer view of the hatchery section

Picture 4 is the closer view of the nursery section

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by JohnQueen(m): 8:25pm On Jul 18, 2015
Thank you sir. You can ask me any questions you wish to know about snail rearing/heliciculture and I'll do my best to answer.

Sure thing. Thanks
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by JohnQueen(m): 8:28pm On Jul 18, 2015

Sure. Will try ASAP
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Mtm5313: 3:59pm On Jul 27, 2015
Neduzze5:
Feed your eyes

Picture 1 is exterior view of my hatchery/nursery

Picture 2 is interior view of my hatchery/nursery

Picture 3 is the closer view of the hatchery section

Picture 4 is the closer view of the nursery section
good job, I think u supposed to cover d egg with small sand because they do lay egg inside it in bush.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 4:00pm On Jul 27, 2015
Mtm5313:

good job, I think u supposed to cover d egg with small sand because they do lay egg inside it in bush.

Yeah, I did that and they have already started hatching.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by kentochi(m): 10:41pm On Jul 27, 2015
Neduzze5:

Yeah, I did that and they have already started hatching.
well done bro am thinking of going to my village to pick snails at night. to start up my own snail farm.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 2:56pm On Jul 28, 2015
kentochi:

well done bro
am thinking of going to my village to pick snails at night.
to start up my own snail farm.

That would be real nice as you are sure that their reproductivity ratio is not impaired.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by kentochi(m): 12:46am On Aug 12, 2015
how is your farming going bro.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by kentochi(m): 5:15pm On Aug 18, 2015
Neduzze5:

That would be real nice as you are sure that their reproductivity ratio is not impaired.
Pls add me to the group snail farmers
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by plopapy: 5:58pm On Aug 18, 2015
Great job
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by plopapy: 6:40pm On Aug 18, 2015
The sales of snails depends largely on the shell size. The bigger the shell the more expensive it becomes.this is were I come in. We are into pure calcium production for snails most especially and other animals at a very cheap price. All u need do is put it anywhere in there pens and they will run towards it. No be joke oh. It helps the snail grow faster than u imagine. Archantina marginata will be ready for sales after 5months at 200 each, cos of the shell size, archantina archantina 7months also. For more and rapid egg production all snails need calcium supplements, u could Google that urself to believe me. It comes for a give away price of 200naira a pack, that can take u for two weeks with 50 big snails. It's it not cheap enough. Also we are giving it free of charge for first order for everyone any were u are in Nigeria, do you know y, because we are sure of our product and that u will call back for it. Except ur motive of rearing the snails is not for sales. Call me or WhatsApp me at 08032512493.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by macdot(m): 10:59am On Aug 19, 2015
plopapy:
The sales of snails depends largely on the shell size. The bigger the shell the more expensive it becomes.this is were I come in. We are into pure calcium production for snails most especially and other animals at a very cheap price. All u need do is put it anywhere in there pens and they will run towards it. No be joke oh. It helps the snail grow faster than u imagine. Archantina marginata will be ready for sales after 5months at 200 each, cos of the shell size, archantina archantina 7months also. For more and rapid egg production all snails need calcium supplements, u could Google that urself to believe me. It comes for a give away price of 200naira a pack, that can take u for two weeks with 50 big snails. It's it not cheap enough. Also we are giving it free of charge for first order for everyone any were u are in Nigeria, do you know y, because we are sure of our product and that u will call back for it. Except ur motive of rearing the snails is not for sales. Call me or WhatsApp me at 08032512493.
Can we see pictures of its revelations?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by FAJFARM(m): 10:02pm On Aug 21, 2015
Neduzze5:

Now as I said earlier, this is small scale breeding in a paint bucket. I just picked them up from around my compound today and I'll still pick up more later at night and in my farm too.

I don't know the species really but I think they are Achinata marginata.
Correction, is Archatina marginata not Achinata. Hug
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Bre(f): 2:11pm On Aug 23, 2015
Any further updates on the farm? I've been following for a while and I'm genuinely intrigued
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 12:34am On Aug 24, 2015
plopapy:

I've contacted you and I'd make my order soon.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 12:35am On Aug 24, 2015
macdot:

Can we see pictures of its revelations?

He's for real. I've been in contact with him for a while and the product actually exists. What we cannot actually verify is it does what it says it does.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 12:37am On Aug 24, 2015
FAJFARM:

Correction, is Archatina marginata not Achinata. Hug

Thank you very much Sir. It was mispronounciation I was always making when I started out.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 12:38am On Aug 24, 2015
Bre:
Any further updates on the farm? I've been following for a while and I'm genuinely intrigued

Yeah, my snails are doing well although they are on an egg laying break.

I hope they resume very soon.

I'm happier with the rate at which the newly hatched are increasing. It's a thing of joy for me.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

General Market/food Price ( weekly Update ) / How Do I Start Snail Rearing? / Maize Farming Startup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.