Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,322 members, 7,815,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:32 PM

Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm (107034 Views)

Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by FarmTech(m): 6:54pm On Sep 18, 2015
Neduzze5:

Yeah... WHoever gave you that advice was on point. If you can afford it, serve them that twice in a week.

Make sure there's a source of calcium for them. That can be gotten from well grinded eggs or you talk to <ahref=www.nairaland.com/plopapy>Plopapy</a>

Wow, that's not hw to make links in forums, use blockquotes[] instead. Remove "a href=" and replace with "url=". Use "http://" in your url. Eg [$url=http://dash.com]link[$/url]. IGNORE THE DOLLAR SIGNS.
[url=http;//www.nairaland.com/plopapy]Plopapy[/url]
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 7:17pm On Sep 18, 2015
FarmTech:

Wow, that's not hw to make links in forums, use blockquotes[] instead. Remove "a href=" and replace with "url=". Use "http://" in your url. Eg [$url=http://dash.com]link[$/url]. IGNORE THE DOLLAR SIGNS.
[url=http;//www.nairaland.com/plopapy]Plopapy[/url]

Lolz, that was how I learnt in HTML ooh.... Twas quite funny and got me banned. cheesy

Thanks to you, thanks to Pavore9

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by FarmTech(m): 7:52pm On Sep 19, 2015
Neduzze5:

Lolz, that was how I learnt in HTML ooh.... Twas quite funny and got me banned. cheesy

Thanks to you, thanks to Pavore9
Normally, forums don't allow it to prevent hacking.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by plopapy: 2:59pm On Sep 22, 2015
The more the calcium the more bigger ur snails are. Call 08032512493 for ur calcium supplements for snails
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by omo17(m): 7:37pm On Sep 22, 2015
base83:
Hi people, started my small pen abt 6 weeks ago with about 40 snail.
Hand picked them from around. I hope it expends to something bigger eventually.
My problem is that I noticed at the end of a week or two the pen becomes waterlogged even though I stopped watering it. This makes d snails hang in the cover even lost a small one cos it drowned. I really don't know if it's from the fruit n veggie or rain...
Been using grounded eggshell for calcium source n dey eat it well.
None of my eggs is hatching too ideas please...
1. The pen after I turn out the old soil n added fresh soil
2. A waterlogged pen

I av to be honest with u, don't expect this snail u hand pick to grow any bigger, I want to belif u pick dem up from the Bush, u have change there natural habitat, although dey will definitely mature but not in size, am talking from experience. in fact i still av some i picked last week again. The only hope for bigger snail is the one coming from there hatched egg, i want to bilif dey av started laying eggs, those one will definitely grow in size because this is the environment they were brought up. even with dat, dey can only attain the normal size u c around d Bush because there breed is different from d agric type u see being rear by farmers. Those snails u find in the Bush are different from the one being reared purposely for commercial purposes. D Bush type when they attain full size will always be small compare to the agric type. hp u get wat am saying. U can't rear d one u hand pick nd expect to make huge profit compare to d agric type, am using d phrase "agric type because I don't knw the name for the breeds, but definitely i knw wat am saying. in essence, wat am saying is dat if u want to practice commercial snail farming (purposely for selling) forget abt those hand picked nd go for gud breed. They are just different.

With regards to changing soil, do not change soil. those eggs won't hatch dat way. Leave d soil

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by crossblane1(m): 9:46pm On Sep 22, 2015
pls these snails are they achantina maginata'and from the pics are they all the same species?

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by crossblane1(m): 9:49pm On Sep 22, 2015
and this

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by FarmTech(m): 12:36am On Sep 23, 2015
omo17:

I av to be honest with u, don't expect this snail u hand pick to grow any bigger, I want to belif u pick dem up from the Bush, u have change there natural habitat, although dey will definitely mature but not in size, am talking from experience. in fact i still av some i picked last week again. The only hope for bigger snail is the one coming from there hatched egg, i want to bilif dey av started laying eggs, those one will definitely grow in size because this is the environment they were brought up. even with dat, dey can only attain the normal size u c around d Bush because there breed is different from d agric type u see being rear by farmers. Those snails u find in the Bush are different from the one being reared purposely for commercial purposes. D Bush type when they attain full size will always be small compare to the agric type. hp u get wat am saying. U can't rear d one u hand pick nd expect to make huge profit compare to d agric type, am using d phrase "agric type because I don't knw the name for the breeds, but definitely i knw wat am saying. in essence, wat am saying is dat if u want to practice commercial snail farming (purposely for selling) forget abt those hand picked nd go for gud breed. They are just different.

With regards to changing soil, do not change soil. those eggs won't hatch dat way. Leave d soil
Pls Permit me to correct this. There is nothing like agric snail yet, and I don't think there will be for a very long time. The ones u pick in the bush can still adapt and grow big. If u want baby snails that grow fast, hatch eggs from very big snails.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by base83: 8:08am On Sep 23, 2015
omo17:

oh thanks alot, never know that there are "agric" snails too. I will find out more about it though. Concerning the soil I have been removing the eggs from the main pen to another place, however none has hatch could that be the reason cos i moved the eggs? Please can u explain that better, cos i thought the bigger snails will eat d eggs if left together.
thanks agaain
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by omo17(m): 9:22am On Sep 23, 2015
FarmTech:

Pls Permit me to correct this. There is nothing like agric snail yet, and I don't think there will be for a very long time. The ones u pick in the bush can still adapt and grow big. If u want baby snails that grow fast, hatch eggs from very big snails.

I quiet understand u, and i think u shd understand wat i mean by d agric type, am talking about d popular African giant snail (Archachatina marginata) dat farmers normally rear for commercial purposes. this breed are different from the one u picked from bushes . pls go to any farm or market nd see for urself wat i mean by big snail, am sure u will see a big difference. Am yet to see snail picked from bushes nd breed to a large snail. Am also yet to see a farmer dat will tell me he/she started snailery from picking snail from bushes. No matter how dey adapt, dey always have certain size dey will reach, it won't command gud price in d market.
Am talking from experience. It's wat av done in d past. Am a confirm snail Hunter. cool

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by omo17(m): 9:34am On Sep 23, 2015
base83:

oh thanks alot, never know that there are "agric" snails too. I will find out more about it though. Concerning the soil I have been removing the eggs from the main pen to another place, however none has hatch could that be the reason cos i moved the eggs? Please can u explain that better, cos i thought the bigger snails will eat d eggs if left together.
thanks agaain
In as much as u place dem on soil, leave d soil, dey will always bore a hole nd lay inside. Make sure you wet d soil frequently. there is no way dey will eat d egg because d egg will always be inside d hole. Although u can also move d egg but it has to be immediately u notice d egg which I won't advice. Unless you av deep knowledge on it. Maybe you have even pack d newly hatched snail away with the soil.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by obamat: 9:36am On Sep 23, 2015
@omo17 i agree with you 100%, I bought some snails from market as I dont have bush in my area where I can pick and for three months now I didnt see any serious changes and to buttress your point, I collected some big sizes eggs from the girl selling the snails and prepared them for hatching , luckily 4 of 10 hatched and I am telling you the snails are just 5 weeks old now and their size is already nearing those ones I bought over 3 months ago I`ve resulted in consuming my old ones gradually and looking for eggs to start my own big size snails farm.

2 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by FarmTech(m): 11:51am On Sep 23, 2015
base83:

thanks agaain
Once again, there is nothing like agric snails. As for the eggs, separate them from the snails and keep them moist by burrying in a shallow soil and watering. I've hatched several snails that way.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by FarmTech(m): 11:55am On Sep 23, 2015
omo17:

I quiet understand u, and i think u shd understand wat i mean by d agric type, am talking about d popular African giant snail (Archachatina marginata) dat farmers normally rear for commercial purposes. this breed are different from the one u picked from bushes . pls go to any farm or market nd see for urself wat i mean by big snail, am sure u will see a big difference. Am yet to see snail picked from bushes nd breed to a large snail. Am also yet to see a farmer dat will tell me he/she started snailery from picking snail from bushes. No matter how dey adapt, dey always have certain size dey will reach, it won't command gud price in d market.
Am talking from experience. It's wat av done in d past. Am a confirm snail Hunter. cool
Snail size is a function of yrs. Keep bush snails for 2 yrs under good management condition and they'll attain the same size as the "agric snail". U can find a. Marginata in the bush.

2 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by FarmTech(m): 11:59am On Sep 23, 2015
obamat:
@omo17 i agree with you 100%, I bought some snails from market as I dont have bush in my area where I can pick and for three months now I didnt see any serious changes and to buttress your point, I collected some big sizes eggs from the girl selling the snails and prepared them for hatching , luckily 4 of 10 hatched and I am telling you the snails are just 5 weeks old now and their size is already nearing those ones I bought over 3 months ago I`ve resulted in consuming my old ones gradually and looking for eggs to start my own big size snails farm.
Nairalanders do u smell a rat with me here? Chei! U kept adult snails for 3 months. Then u hatch baby snails and kept them for 5 weeks. Size of 5 wks baby snails are now nearing the size of the adult. Guy, u don't know anything about snails.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by obamat: 9:29pm On Sep 23, 2015
Farm tech you can't just say something is not right when you've not seen it. I am telling you what I experience here. You can confirm from dyoungforester I bought 50 pieces of snail from him and I am telling you that the one I hatched 5weeks ago is near the size of some of those I bought from him. I was told those eggs are from Benin snails which are the largest.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by FarmTech(m): 11:47pm On Sep 23, 2015
obamat:
Farm tech you can't just say something is not right when you've not seen it. I am telling you what I experience here. You can confirm from dyoungforester I bought 50 pieces of snail from him and I am telling you that the one I hatched 5weeks ago is near the size of some of those I bought from him. I was told those eggs are from Benin snails which are the largest.
The eggs u bought from the girl or dyoungforester? Snails don't grow like that. Rethink.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by crossblane1(m): 5:48pm On Sep 25, 2015
sad story. I started snail farming just on Monday here and today I found a big centipede inside my cage.although I was able to kill it but it was able to kill one of my snail.do u guys have any way I can get rid of these pests.?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Baroba(m): 6:39pm On Sep 25, 2015
crossblane1:
sad story. I started snail farming just on Monday here and today I found a big centipede inside my cage.although I was able to kill it but it was able to kill one of my snail.do u guys have any way I can get rid of these pests.?

My young bro had the same issues though his was with soldier ants, he dug a shallow gutter round his pen and poured used engine oil inside it, since then he has never had any problems with pests. Give it a try.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by crossblane1(m): 6:44pm On Sep 25, 2015
Baroba:

My young bro had the same issues though his was with soldier ants, he dug a shallow gutter round his pen and poured used engine oil inside it, since then he has never had any problems with pests. Give it a try.
thanks but my snails house is a condemned fridge ad I placed it directly to the ground so as control the temperature and it's placed in a tight corner of my house.so that pattern won't be possible for me.any other suggestion?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 9:07am On Sep 26, 2015
crossblane1:
thanks but my snails house is a condemned fridge ad I placed it directly to the ground so as control the temperature and it's placed in a tight corner of my house.so that pattern won't be possible for me.any other suggestion?

Sprinkle condemned engine oil around the fridge once every week
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by crossblane1(m): 10:28am On Sep 26, 2015
Neduzze5:

Sprinkle condemned engine oil around the fridge once every week
thanks man
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by crossblane1(m): 4:24pm On Sep 26, 2015
I lost one snail today through dealth.reason unknown to me.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 5:14pm On Sep 26, 2015
crossblane1:
I lost one snail today through dealth.reason unknown to me.

No pictures?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by crossblane1(m): 7:28pm On Sep 26, 2015
Neduzze5:

No pictures?
sorry I disposed of the snail immediately.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by crossblane1(m): 7:51am On Sep 27, 2015
one of my snail layed 5 eggs today.is that normal'i thought they lay up to 100eggs in a batch.pls what can I feed them so as to increase egg production.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by omo17(m): 8:33am On Sep 27, 2015
crossblane1:
one of my snail layed 5 eggs today.is that normal'i thought they lay up to 100eggs in a batch.pls what can I feed them so as to increase egg production.
Don't be deceive by all those pple saying one snail can lay 1m eggs, dey don't lay that much, but am sure dat 5eggs was laid by one snail, although one snail can lay up to 10eggs or even more or even less. Expect odas to follow.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by crossblane1(m): 12:12pm On Sep 27, 2015
omo17:

Don't be deceive by all those pple saying one snail can lay 1m eggs, dey don't lay that much, but am sure dat 5eggs was laid by one snail, although one snail can lay up to 10eggs or even more or even less. Expect odas to follow.
name waoooo.see as they kill my joy.bros thanks sha.

but e get watin I go fit take dey feed them so that dem go produce many eggs for me.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by omo17(m): 12:54pm On Sep 27, 2015
crossblane1:
name waoooo.see as they kill my joy.bros thanks sha.

but e get watin I go fit take dey feed them so that dem go produce many eggs for me.

Ur joy has not been killed oo, if u want to make it big rearing snail, u must rear substantial amount. The no of snail u harvest is a factor dat determines hw profitable snailery is. I don't think there is any particular feed dat can make dem lay more, at least i haven't come across it yet, but just make sure you feed dem regularly.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by FarmTech(m): 12:57pm On Sep 27, 2015
omo17:

So far as feeding and environment is ok, they lay yr round.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by obamat: 11:26am On Sep 28, 2015
@omo17,
Its true they lay plenty eggs, My snails laid 80eggs and another 68 eggs in a batch but I dont know which one of them because I have both maginata and fulica but dyoungforester said its the fulica that lay so much like that but the funny part of is that the eggs is too tiny compare to what i had the last time which was 7eggs.
Can I tell you also that the eggs hatched less than two weeks. The number of eggs is dependent on the specie of snail you are keeping.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

General Market/food Price ( weekly Update ) / How Do I Start Snail Rearing? / Maize Farming Startup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.