Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,482 members, 7,812,487 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:08 PM

Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm (106984 Views)

Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 12:21pm On Sep 28, 2015
obamat:
@omo17,
Its true they lay plenty eggs, My snails laid 80eggs and another 68 eggs in a batch but I dont know which one of them because I have both maginata and fulica but dyoungforester said its the fulica that lay so much like that but the funny part of is that the eggs is too tiny compare to what i had the last time which was 7eggs.
Can I tell you also that the eggs hatched less than two weeks. The number of eggs is dependent on the specie of snail you are keeping.

You are right bro.

The Achatina Achatina lays between 50 to 100 eggs in a batch.

The Achatina Fulica lays between 20 and 40 eggs per batch.

The Achatina Marginata lays between 5 and 15 eggs per batch.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by omo17(m): 2:35pm On Sep 28, 2015
obamat:
@omo17,
Its true they lay plenty eggs, My snails laid 80eggs and another 68 eggs in a batch but I dont know which one of them because I have both maginata and fulica but dyoungforester said its the fulica that lay so much like that but the funny part of is that the eggs is too tiny compare to what i had the last time which was 7eggs.
Can I tell you also that the eggs hatched less than two weeks. The number of eggs is dependent on the specie of snail you are keeping.

In ur write up, u said ur snails, am sure u av so many snails u kept togeda nd not one, if u read wat i wrote, i said dat 5eggs d guy was talking abt was probably laid by one snail nd he shd expect odas to follow. If u really want to know hw much eggs can lay, just kip them like 2 or 4 togeda for some time nd come back nd tell me d result.
I even read it where someone said he want to start with 2000 breeder stock nd expect to harvest 50000 snail in a yr, hw is dat possible. If u think dat is hw snail lays, den d world shd b filled up with snail by nao.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by obamat: 3:08pm On Sep 28, 2015
Omo,
most of these things we bring up here are not just mere talk but things that we are practicing and experiencing. some of us might not be doing this for business thing but for the fun of it and in the process we learn good things and we contribute what we have to the forum.
If someone told you he will get 50000 from 2000 its possible depending on how he planned to do it and species he is keeping. so you cant come up and say something is not possible when you have not even try it. i am taking time to write this because i am into the deal seriously and I am loving it sincerely so if I tell you something you should believe.
Back to the eggs, one of the snails dug a hole and laid 80 eggs inside while the other one laid 68 in another hole in the soil in different time. the eggs were not scattered around the pen.

3 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by crossblane1(m): 3:21pm On Sep 28, 2015
thank you all.the snails I am rearing is A.maginata.
just yesterday I gave them layer mash.and they seem to enjoy the meal.this afternoon some of their excreta is white while others are just like the feed.what will be the long time effect of this feed on them.
also I plan mixing this feed with grounded raw beans and vitamin c tablet.what do u guys think.

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by obamat: 7:21pm On Sep 28, 2015
@crossblane.
The effect of the feed is their retarded growth since that feed contains some salt which is negleible as far as death is concern but you can neutralize it by adding some quantity of garri instead of beans and if you can get limestone as a source of calcium. That's what I am feeding mine.
Also feed them that like twice a week while you feed them other things like watermelon and vegetables.
Do you also know they like sweetpotatoe and pawpaw leave introduce it as their meal too they will like it.
Thank me later
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by crossblane1(m): 7:34pm On Sep 28, 2015
obamat:
@crossblane.
The effect of the feed is their retarded growth since that feed contains some salt which is negleible as far as death is concern but you can neutralize it by adding some quantity of garri instead of beans and if you can get limestone as a source of calcium. That's what I am feeding mine.
Also feed them that like twice a week while you feed them other things like watermelon and vegetables.
Do you also know they like sweetpotatoe and pawpaw leave introduce it as their meal too they will like it.
Thank me later
thanks man.pls can I have ur contact no.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by crossblane1(m): 11:30am On Sep 29, 2015
What will be the effect on my snail if I add burnt grinded cow bone'grinded beans'grinded maize'grinded Guinea corn and grinded groundnut
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by koolpapa(m): 5:51pm On Sep 29, 2015
Hello house look at what I found in my snailnery today(slug) pls how can I manage this problem I don't no if their are more of them in the cage any body with any idear on how to handle this pls

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by bblondon4u: 10:34pm On Sep 29, 2015
koolpapa:
Hello house look at what I found in my snailnery today(slug) pls how can I manage this problem I don't no if their are more of them in the cage any body with any idear on how to handle this pls
Jeez, how did these creatures find their way into your snail pen
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by koolpapa(m): 9:05am On Sep 30, 2015
Same thing I have being thinking of since I found those slug yesterday.could it be tru the leaf I feed them,or they just craw in on their own?this is something I realy need to find out cos I lost like 4 snails last month and one this month and it realy get me worried cos my tot then was maybe is ant that stings them but now I dnt no what to belive againooo.
I am thinking of clean the cage but if any body in the house have better idear or have experience same pls kindly share as I dnt want to lose any more snailooooo
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by omo17(m): 9:31am On Sep 30, 2015
koolpapa:
Same thing I have being thinking of since I found those slug yesterday.could it be tru the leaf I feed them,or they just craw in on their own?this is something I realy need to find out cos I lost like 4 snails last month and one this month and it realy get me worried cos my tot then was maybe is ant that stings them but now I dnt no what to belive againooo.
I am thinking of clean the cage but if any body in the house have better idear or have experience same pls kindly share as I dnt want to lose any more snailooooo

Sorry for your loss, firstly wat method do u adopt in rearing ur snail, it it cage, pen, etc. Let us see it first, den will can knw hw to advice u.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by koolpapa(m): 7:38pm On Sep 30, 2015
I use cage,see pics bellow

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by omo17(m): 8:53pm On Sep 30, 2015
koolpapa:
I use cage,see pics bellow

Although i can't c d clear pic of ur cage, but if u can dig a hole like a gutter around ur cage nd pour used engine oil inside it or just a stand with 4 legs , u can ask a carpenter to do dat or a welder if it is a metal cage, nd a get a metal container, pour used engine oil nd dip d 4 legs inside d oil. Am sure by dis no insect will access to ur cage. Like i said i didn't get d clearer pic of ur cage.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 1:47pm On Oct 01, 2015
koolpapa:

Get a pet bottle, e.g Eva water bottle, cut it in such a way that the upper part look like a funnel.

Then turn that part and insert the part that we put in our mouth into the other part of the cut pet plastic bottle.

Use a cello tape to hold it all together.

Pour a little Star or Guinness beer into the bottle, position it around your pen close to a stone in such a away that the slug can crawl onto the stone and into the bottle.

You can make three or four of these and place them at strategic places around your pen. While placing one inside.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by koolpapa(m): 6:41pm On Oct 02, 2015
Neduzze5:

Get a pet bottle, e.g Eva water bottle, cut it in such a way that the upper part look like a funnel.

Then turn that part and insert the part that we put in our mouth into the other part of the cut pet plastic bottle.

Pour a little Star or Guinness beer into the bottle, position it around your pen close to a stone in such a away that the slug can crawl onto the stone and into the bottle.

You can make three or four of these and place them at strategic places around your pen. While placing one inside.

@ Neduzze5
Thanks for the inpute I will try it out
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by ijames: 8:57pm On Oct 02, 2015
Hello house, I have been following this tread and I really got Intrested in going into snail farming, but I am a bit scared as to how to sell them off after maturity cos I see a lot women going into the bush to catch this animals... Pls how lucrative is the venture in Benin city? Any meaningful response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by ijames: 8:58pm On Oct 02, 2015
Hello house, I have been following this tread and I really got Intrested in going into snail farming, but I am a bit scared as to how to sell them off after maturity cos I see a lot women going into the bush to catch this animals... Pls how lucrative is the venture in Benin city? Any meaningful response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by sweetseth: 12:52am On Oct 04, 2015
Hello house, av bin following the thread, i will like to start asap. I can't afford a cage now pls can i start with a bucket. Pls add me on whatsap 08034659677 thanks
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by whirlwind7(m): 10:36am On Oct 04, 2015
Neduzze5:

A little enlightenment, bro.
Are slugs attracted to beer? Why would a slug crawl towards the trap you described?
I have read where such homemade contraptions like this are used to trap insects, esp mosquitoes. Kindly explain how this works, and how it would be effective in keeping slugs at bay.
Gracias, senor.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 6:01pm On Oct 05, 2015
ijames:

We are not farming snails to go and start competing with the market women in the market. We farm with the aim of meeting the needs of large buyers, restaurants etc

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 6:04pm On Oct 05, 2015
sweetseth:
Hello house, av bin following the thread, i will like to start asap. I can't afford a cage now pls can i start with a bucket. Pls add me on whatsap 08034659677 thanks

Yes Sir, you can start with a bucket until you have the funds to expand.

I equally started with a bucket.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Glare247(m): 6:11pm On Oct 07, 2015
hello all,i will apreciate it if u add me up 07035595878
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by joeybankz: 9:13am On Oct 14, 2015
Properties Required Of an Indicator Organism for Heavy Metals

It is important that indicator organisms should not only be good accumulators of metals and of reasonable size (for easy analysis) but should reflect the changing availability of metals in some phase of the environment in this case, the sediments. The ability of some organisms to maintain relatively constant metal concentrations in their tissues clearly makes them unsuitable as indicators. Ideal indicator organisms should in addition be;

Present wherever and whenever heavy metals are present
Recognized
Common
Accessible
Relatively stationary
Long lived
Available at all times of the year.

General Science of Snails - Phylum: Mollusca; Class: Gastropoda

The Phylum Mollusca is a kind of invertebrate (i.e. those animals that lack what we call a back bone) (Campbell & Reece, 2005). The Mollusca also consists of different kind of snails and slugs, the oysters and also the clams, octopuses and then the squids. Most of these molluscs are one of the living things in the in marine habitats; however, most of them are all inhabitant on fresh land and also waters. They have soft body system and all of them are also protected with a hard shell. Some of them have lost their shells through so many years of evolution (Campbell & Reece, 2005). The mollusca body has been identify to have three main parts; first the muscular foot use in moving around, then a visceral mass which has most of its organs, and they have a mantle. The Molluscs in general has its separate sexes, but the snails, however are of her-maphroditic (Campbell & Reece, 2005). One of the eight zones for the phylum Mollusca is a Gas-tropoda which all contains the snails and also slugs. The Gastropoda are of marine, the freshwater or also the terrestrial living organisms.

They also have a asymmetric body that usually with a coiled shell, if the shell is at a present and a foot for its locomotion and also radula (Campbell & Reece, 2005). Several of the Gastropods has a single spiral shell that has often in a conical but also sometimes even the flat. They also have a rippling motion in their foot to any means of cilia. Most of the gastropods do graze on a algae or plants with their radular, and also most of the marine living gas-tropods have the gills (Campbell & Reece, 2005), except for the Pulmonata, who has also developed the pallial lung and can also breathe the air (Madsen, 1985a). The class of the Gastropoda comprises of three quarters of all the Molluscs, and also includes so many several sub-classes including the Pulmonata (Madsen, 1985b). All of these investigated snails are of the Pulmonates, which is genus in the Gastropoda.

http://www.joeyarticles.com/properties-required-indicator-organism-heavy-metals-2/
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by plopapy: 8:43pm On Nov 01, 2015
For intensive and free range snail farm setting up, and management, treatment of all kinds of snail disease and infection, management and control, questions and solutions for u. call me at 08135634933.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by orlard3(m): 4:24pm On Nov 04, 2015
pls add me to the watsapp group 08053030955
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by deteb(m): 4:28pm On Nov 04, 2015
please add me 08186098156
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Tonybills(m): 4:55pm On Nov 05, 2015
hello house,
please i just started a small snailry this morning with two species which i don't really have idea of their names,.

now i was told to fry the soul i want to sprinkle in their house to avoid earthworms and insect entering inside.

please i want to ask is it advisable to do this and what kind of food should i give them to grow fast.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Tonybills(m): 4:56pm On Nov 05, 2015
hello house,
please i just started a small snailry this morning with two species which i don't really have idea of their names,.

now i was told to fry the soil i want to use in their house to avoid earthworms and insect entering inside.

please i want to ask is it advisable to do this and what kind of food should i give them to grow fast.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Tonybills(m): 4:57pm On Nov 05, 2015
hello house,

now i was told to fry the soil i want to use in their house to avoid earthworms and insect entering inside.

add me in your whatsapp 08138834372
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Vallyview: 6:33pm On Nov 15, 2015
Bros i must say ur really doin a great job by opening dis tread,my qustion is,how do u grind d egg shell? Do u roast or sun dry them b4 grinding? What do u use in grinding d egg shell,am a smal scale farmer i have passion 4 pets

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 7:39am On Nov 24, 2015
Vallyview:
Bros i must say ur really doin a great job by opening dis tread,my qustion is,how do u grind d egg shell? Do u roast or sun dry them b4 grinding? What do u use in grinding d egg shell,am a smal scale farmer i have passion 4 pets

Thank you Sir.

All you need to do is to sun dry the egg shells and then grind. It's as simple as that.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by lordhugo(m): 12:03pm On Nov 24, 2015
plopapy:
For intensive and free range snail farm setting up, and management, treatment of all kinds of snail disease and infection, management and control, questions and solutions for u. call me at 08135634933.

Good morning sir,
Do you really treat snail "disease and infection"?

Please, I know you have experience in the field. You should be stating you can provide pest and predator free housing, best management practices , feed solutions and so on.

A "diseased or sick" snail dies more often than not.
I am sure you don't have snail drugs as is the case in treatment of other farmed animals.
Just my humble opinion and I might be wrong.

Peace bruh!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

General Market/food Price ( weekly Update ) / How Do I Start Snail Rearing? / Maize Farming Startup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.