Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Have You Ever Been Bashed In Public Due To Grammatical Blunders? Share - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Have You Ever Been Bashed In Public Due To Grammatical Blunders? Share (26320 Views)

13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance / 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid / National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been Bashed In Public Due To Grammatical Blunders? Share by bigfrancis21: 4:25pm On Jun 15, 2015
adekunletosin:
striker its correct...what if it was used as an idiom/phrase in the context...or ar u emphasizing on simpe past....anyway bro so keep striking to learn more ooo

adekunletosin:
I quickly hold held the boy responsible that he caused me to make that err.... Thats how i saved myself o....

No it is not. You were clearly in past tense in your sentence when you used 'caused' and 'saved' and as tenses demand in English, your past tenses must be uniformly used when reporting a past event.
Re: Have You Ever Been Bashed In Public Due To Grammatical Blunders? Share by adekunletosin(m): 5:04pm On Jun 15, 2015
bigfrancis21:

No it is not. You were clearly in past tense in your sentence when you used 'caused' and 'saved' and as tenses demand in English, your past tenses must be uniformly used when reporting a past event.
ok noted and thanks bro...
Re: Have You Ever Been Bashed In Public Due To Grammatical Blunders? Share by Mega2010(m): 7:24pm On Jun 15, 2015
Starships4u:
guy everything about this your post freaked me out with confusion.... Upgrade to the latest edition of English
Thank you mr English....but "guy" is not an English word,mr know it all....Lie say u no understand Wetin I talk....smh
Re: Have You Ever Been Bashed In Public Due To Grammatical Blunders? Share by Harvard13(m): 7:41pm On Jun 15, 2015
VictoriaBee:
Igbo "tongue" is a slang and slang isn't acceptable in English.
its mother tongue interference
Re: Have You Ever Been Bashed In Public Due To Grammatical Blunders? Share by Starships4u(m): 8:21pm On Jun 15, 2015
Mega2010:
Thank you mr English....but "guy" is not an English word,mr know it all....Lie say u no understand Wetin I talk....smh
Oga sorry if I did annoy u, but yes I dint understand what u wrote there.....
Re: Have You Ever Been Bashed In Public Due To Grammatical Blunders? Share by omojeesu(m): 6:04am On Jun 16, 2015
omojeesu:
I was a new student in an 'ajebota' school, having come from an 'ajepaki' school. My first day in school the class teacher who taught English language asked why I didn't do a particular test. In reply, I said 'I am not here then' and the entire class exploded in laughter making gun shooting sounds.

I was later conferred with titles such as 'Rabon Zolo', 'rebon dele' and 'the fastest gun man from the west'. Today, I know better and still learning.

However, how good are we with our own indigenous languages and dialects which have become vernacular in our own land; and for which students are punished for if spoken on school premises?

Language is the centre of any people and culture. Take it away the people lose their identity. Colonialism has taken its toll on our languages in Black Africa.

..... paapa awa Yooba!!
Re: Have You Ever Been Bashed In Public Due To Grammatical Blunders? Share by Dubemkelly(m): 7:33am On Jun 16, 2015
tosyne2much:
I bet to disagree bro

Extreme end is tautology
Its not bro but Nigerians including the schooled ones do refer that as tautology, kindly check the word 'extreme' in. Cambridge Int'l Dictionary of English P 487. u would see the eg 'at the extreme end of the peninsula' and also p. 481 of the Longman Dic of Contemporary English (new edition) . One can say; extreme south, extreme point, extreme end, extreme limit etc. Extreme end means the place furthest towards the end. 'extreme' functions as an adjective and be confident to use and convince ur friends on the correctness of this expression.
Re: Have You Ever Been Bashed In Public Due To Grammatical Blunders? Share by Mega2010(m): 12:43pm On Jun 16, 2015
Starships4u:
Oga sorry if I did annoy u, but yes I dint understand what u wrote there.....
But u understood that "guy" is not an English word
Re: Have You Ever Been Bashed In Public Due To Grammatical Blunders? Share by Adedove(m): 7:47pm On Aug 04, 2016
Committing blunders in English is a thing I do overlook because: (1) English language, although is a world language, doesnt freak me. (2) when I was an amateur language interpreter in my church, I committed uncountable blunders and received different unpalatable responses which made me become thick-skinned. (3) My speaking and writing have developed a great deal over time. Rome wasnt built in a day. Mind d.way u mock 'committers of blunders' !!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Secondary School Boarding House List For Boys & Girls (Photo) / My Teaching Experience As A Corper/pyschologist In A Public And Private School. / Juniour WAEC Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.