Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,653 members, 7,827,410 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

What Is The Right Age To Get Married? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is The Right Age To Get Married? (114791 Views)

When Is The Appropriate Age To Get Married? / What Is The Right Age For A Lady To Get Married? / What Is The Approximate Right Age For Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by treize(f): 2:18pm On Feb 17, 2006
wait until you become a guy, Rhodalyn cheesy

nice don't expect that to happen anytime soon cheesy
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by nicetohave(m): 2:21pm On Feb 17, 2006
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

i look forward to it happening in the year of never  cool

on the whole age matters only if you want it to be, but the law of the land stipulates certain age for marriage, and when youre in love please be ready to face the music together when you marry someone 10 to 20 years your senior/junior

I want to marry nowwwww  cry cry cry
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by treize(f): 2:37pm On Feb 17, 2006
do u have that special someone to ask?
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by madam: 4:18pm On Feb 17, 2006
People need to mature and find themselves before finding someone else and one does not truly mature till their late 20s, or 30's.

I actually support this, i think the issue is finding ones-self that include Financial , Emotional Stability, By Financial - I am not saying u must have millions but enough to take care of a home whether woman or man, By Emotional - knowing that marriage is not a bed of roses and that all those that have had successfully marriages have worked hard to get there,

I 4 one looking back , i know marrying at 20 4 me wld have been disastrous, any man marrying me wld have driven me out or i wld have killed him, cos i was younger and full of life (still exploring) and wanting everything my own way and exactly when i want it (which is not the case in marriage)

I am not saying that marry at 28-30 is the best ooh, but why the rush, make sure u are sure of what u want and its not just Love , cos when push comes to shove love wld be dancing to another tune, anyway i feel the older the better, maybe from 25 up (Financial, Emotional Independence inclusive)

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Feb 17, 2006
@nicetohave:

nicetohave:

I want to marry nowwwww cry cry cry

I feel u my broda.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by spicequeen(f): 4:58pm On Feb 17, 2006
Marriage is to my opinion about a give and take and learning to compromise.
I don't think there's really a right age to be married even though  in our African culture, most mums put pressure  on their kids especially the girls to get married earlyand produce grandkids. U have to be really ready to be able to take such a great leap after all marriage is not all about entering ur bed room and coming out with a change of clothes.
The person U are at 18 or 22 will not be the same person when U are say 10 years older from now. While maturity tops the list and financial security is important it's not the only determinant of marriageable age for me.

How many of us have learnt to love unconditionally?

How many of Us are willing to make a compromise for the sake of peace in the matrimonial home even if we believe we are right and our mate is wrong?
How many of us are willing to solve problems as they arise and not bear a grudge waiting for a dam to build before we explode?
 How many of us are ready to avoid the me first attitude and put our mate's interests ahead of ours?
The list is long but I think an agreeable age is between 27 and , when u are ready to make such a comittement; ready to love ur mate despite his /her faults.

Seun I think U shouldn't have said if a gal is 30 she should start panicky cos she's ben too choosy.  Tell me if U were a girl could U rather remain single or rush into marriage with a rascal etc  and in 2 or 3 yrs come out becos U want to fit in?
Most of us who are going on 30 and still single will gladly tie th knot if 'mr right' comes.
What about boys who want every girl they see to be Beyoncé are they not choosy too?
U can't buy happiness by being married and as much as I love to be married I'd rather remain single and make the best out of life than to marry a man who's selfish a chit and U name it!!!!
 Sisters out there don't give Up!! No matter how old people may claim U are any man who truly loves U will marry U. No need rushing into a marriage cos of some misguided societal view about acceptable marriage age.
Did our Creator specify what age is right for marriage? I'd like to know!!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by kimba(m): 8:52pm On Feb 17, 2006
whenever your heart tells you that its time, then its time.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Grizzly(m): 11:11pm On Feb 17, 2006
.,.,.When u've got nuf money and a big nuf "Summin-Summin", Well thats for the guys, snazzy tell 'em for the ladies.,.,nike4luv listen real good lol
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Grizzly(m): 11:13pm On Feb 17, 2006
.,.,.When u've got nuf money and a big nuf "Summin-Summin", Well thats for the guys, snazzy tell 'em for the ladies.,.,nike4luv listen real good
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Grizzly(m): 11:14pm On Feb 17, 2006
When u've got nuf money and a big nuf "Summin-Summin", Well thats for the guys, snazzy tell 'em for the ladies.,.,nike4luv listen real good lol
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Maxflame(m): 1:57pm On Feb 18, 2006
How about never! cheesy Like someone pointed earlier its just for child bearing and i for one think this planet is overpopulated. Humans are a virus that plagues this planet. Since you humans don't like your planet, we will take it from you! Bwahahahaaaa! And RIP for my comrads who crashe on the beach in lekki that you humans thought it was one of your domestic planes but didn't find anything coz it was a spaceship. We are comming! grin tongue
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Fimmy(m): 10:39am On Feb 26, 2006
to me i think its better for a girl to get married when she is still young maybe something like 15 years of age cos this is the best for her.(im only sugessting)
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by gem87(f): 10:51pm On Apr 05, 2006
when one is ready shld be it cld be 18 cld 30 wht do y'all think?
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Vieira(m): 12:08pm On Apr 06, 2006
People make me laugh sometimes o!

all those quoting 26 or 27 for a guy are only doing that becuase it seems far to them or they have already married at that age!

I can only speak for myself.

from about 21 I knew I would never marry before 30.

At 31 I decided that I was ready and I got married at 32.

I have friends who married at 28 and I have friends who are still not married and they are past the 36!!

For women I can only say one thing, if it is a Nigerian woman who is looking for a nigerian man, then ideally I would say by 30.

becuase knowing nigerian men and the way they think, If you are over 30 and not yet with a fiancee or serious guy but still looking, then you'll most likely be looking for a much older man who happens to be single.

Naija guys always go for a gap of 5 years or more at that stage.

But as someone said before happiness is what counts.

Getting married to anbody just becuase you think you are getting old can quickly lead to heartbreak and depression. Trust me I have seen it going on around me.

I wish all the ladies and guys luck in finding your spouse.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by babymine(f): 12:16pm On Apr 06, 2006
When you find the right mate. Lol grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Grizzly(m): 12:07pm On Apr 07, 2006
thank u very much I.B. if you got enuf money when u twenny, take the girl to the alter already, any questions, ??

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Vieira(m): 12:28pm On Apr 07, 2006
All I can say is a guy at 20 is not yet matured.

20 is way too young.

A guy needs to play and mess about before settling down.

unless he does when married sha!
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by gabriel7: 3:59pm On Apr 12, 2006
i would like to have some suggestions about my case, i'm 22 and i already have my bachelors degree, and good position where i work thank God, i'm a very independent person, but for sure i have mistakes like everyone does, my girlfriend is 22 also, and she is just about to finish her college, and we are going to get marry soon, can i have your opinion, what do you think about this decicion!!! it will help me a lot.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by treize(f): 6:15pm On Apr 12, 2006
18 oo
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by dominobaby(f): 8:53pm On Apr 12, 2006
Gabriel, 22 is quite young sha o, bt if u guys r okay with each other n are ready 4 d nu life, go ahead.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Vieira(m): 9:36am On Apr 13, 2006
gabriel, it is hard to make a judegment for someone else.

I would say 22 is definitely too young.

But in the end the decision is yours.

Ask other adults around you and get their opinions.

Life is short and at 22 you should really be at the stage where you are enjoying life and exploring it.

But everyone is different.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by shawna(f): 4:56pm On Jun 28, 2006
i think the right age for marriage would be like 25 cheesy
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by gem87(f): 8:36pm On Jun 28, 2006
nah, there s no right age
right person plus right time = marriage
and by timin i mean feel ready
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Saiesta(f): 4:03pm On Jun 29, 2006
There isn't a right age for marriage. I think you could get married when you know you're ready to make a long life journey with your husband or wife
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by MerC2(f): 8:34pm On Jun 30, 2006
ay, I dunno about other people but for me I'd love
to get married btwn 20 and 22 (AND I WILL, AMEN!)

For guys anything from 26 is cool. Younger, I don't think so!
Why? Maybe they won't be mature enuff for marriage.
Marriage is a lifetime issue o!

HOLLA AT YO GURL! kiss
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Estylove(f): 8:13pm On Jul 01, 2006
Hi,

The right age for marriage is not really the number of age but how mature the person is in dealing with issues of life. But to be more precise, i will say from age 20.

Well, i got married at age 20 and i am very happy i did because i am really enjoying myself now. Also, you have to get the right person if not the riverse will be the case. I have been married for four years and it feels as though we are still engaged.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by waffistyle(m): 10:11pm On Oct 29, 2006
for a man,
when you start earning a living.
for a woman
after puberty, cool
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by ell77(f): 11:15pm On Nov 21, 2006
What did someone say 15 for a girl? So how old should the man be that she marries 16? 35?
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by macalurs(m): 10:27pm On Dec 31, 2006
Gabriel,

I'm with you. I'm just as young as u are and if my girlfriend was here, I would'a married her.

Vieira is saying you should be mesing arround. Yeah, that could be a good advice. but what happens when you don't feel like messing arround, simply 'because you don't find it appealing, the same way the choices of pre-occupation vary for different people?

I've gone through things not many 30yr old men have gone through. Having left naija at 18 to US to stay on my own without a single relative nor black person, believe me I grew up. I had to. Am I mature? Well that depends on what you call 'maturity'. Do I know what I want? Yes. (But who doesn't think he knows what he wants?)

@topic. I say anytime you feel like it. Some of my most succesful friends got married at wierdly young ages-- 19 and 20. They're still living together and loving hard. There's no right or wrong. There's appropriate hence in-appropriate.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by toyboy1(m): 9:58am On Jan 04, 2007
As long as u r financially capable of takin care of a family, u r mature enough to take decisions on ur own witout being dependants on second/third parties and being psycological n emotionally balanced enough to handle a family, there should be no stopping you.
Age i have always said is nothing but number, attaining these three stages might take some less than 25yrs and anoda abt 32 yrs.
Cultures n traditions are also determinants u consider be4 marriage plans n these differ from climes to climes
one thing is so constantly true for all climes, marriage aint for KIDS.

Ladies dont get depaired wit the fact that u r approachin the 3 figure. u man is still out there, all u need do is pray n search. A female boss of mine got married at 41 n thats a testimony.

Compliments of the season, wishin you ALL awonderful, marvelous and resoundinly fulfilling 2007. hope your break was wonderful??
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by Soldier(m): 1:36pm On Feb 10, 2007
Bill Gates got married at 38 and his wife was 29. I dont know wether y`all knew that but I didnt until a few days ago when I was reading on him. Was quite surprised cos the guy has had enough money to look after a family since he was very young. He said he spent much time at work. No wonder he married a Microsoft employee.

I was " inspired" by this. I`m 25 and when I was younger I used to think I would get married at 25-26. Lately I`ve been thinking I`ll do it at around 29 cos the idea of doing it after turning 30 has always been "uncool" to me. But now I think I`ma wait much longer. If Bill did it at 38 then why should I rush. Serious. I can`t afford the burdens of a family at the moment and I`ll only have one when I can afford to provide for them.
Re: What Is The Right Age To Get Married? by macalurs(m): 8:48am On Mar 13, 2007
When your heart finds someone it can't afford to lose. . When your life is stuck to anothers like with glue. .

When it's just that girl/guy in the whole planet that you want. . When you both feel the same about each other. .

When you're past the infatuation phase. . When you realize-- through it all-- that he/she has been the one beside you. .

When you've roamed the world over, and seen none other. . When you're captivated by her mere breath. .

When you will kill for her. . and die for her. .

When she's everything you got. .

Yes you are ready.

But if she's just another girl. .

no you're not.

I'm the poorest of men. But I feel richer than kings when she's by my side. My lover whose finger posess absolutely no talent, whose temper sends bad cramps toward my rectum, whose english is not the most perfect, captivates my every being. I'm ready to spend the rest of my life with her. I don't care what the world thinks. wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Big Booty Chics...how Embarassing?! / The Trick I Used On My Girlfriend In Order To Know She's Been Cheating On Me / Queens Of Sex: Nigeria’s Multimillionaire Aphrodisiac Sellers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.