Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,129 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! - Literature (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! (101641 Views)

What Book Are You Reading Now / No More Room For Love- By Loudest Thoughts / What's The Most Captivating Story You Are Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by AmakaDNB(f): 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2015
dearpreye:

What is it all about? Chimamanda has written half of a yellow sun.
I can't really say much because the author has not released the book yet. I get to read it because I know the author personally. Like all books by Daniel Nkado, it is amazing, very sad though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 12, 2015
AmakaDNB:

I can't really say much because the author has not released the book yet. I get to read it because I know the author personally. Like all books by Daniel Nkado, it is amazing, very sad though.

What do you mean by SAD? Please.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by AmakaDNB(f): 3:00pm On Aug 12, 2015
dearpreye:

What do you mean by SAD? Please.
I cried.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 12, 2015
AmakaDNB:

I cried.

Hmmm....like seriously? Are is books that poignant? Some authors can elicit so great emetics in us.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by AmakaDNB(f): 3:07pm On Aug 12, 2015
dearpreye:

Hmmm....like seriously? Are is books that poignant? Some authors can elicit so great emetics in us.
Yea. You haven't read any of his works before?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 12, 2015
AmakaDNB:

Yea. You haven't read any of his works before?

I'm sure of that.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by AmakaDNB(f): 3:13pm On Aug 12, 2015
dearpreye:

I'm sure of that.
Little wonder.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 12, 2015
AmakaDNB:

Little wonder.

It appears the author is a good writer.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by AmakaDNB(f): 3:16pm On Aug 12, 2015
dearpreye:

It appears the author is a good writer.
Yea he is good. Try and read The Village Girl.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 12, 2015
AmakaDNB:

Yea he is good. Try and read The Village Girl.

Maybe much much later in the year.....probably by October. This one wey you dey hammer on his books so. ..It certainly promises a good read. Thanks.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by AmakaDNB(f): 3:18pm On Aug 12, 2015
dearpreye:

Maybe much much later in the year.....probably by October. This one wey you dey hammer on his books so. ..It certainly promises a good read. Thanks.
Yes yes. And he is a friend too
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2015
AmakaDNB:

Yes yes. And he is a friend too

Wow! That's nice. Are you also a writer? An aspiring one?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by AmakaDNB(f): 3:26pm On Aug 12, 2015
dearpreye:

Wow! That's nice. Are you also a writer? An aspiring one?

Aspiring is more like it but I love reading.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 12, 2015
AmakaDNB:

Aspiring is more like it but I love reading.

That's good. It's good to read. It affords us the opportunity to travel into the world of a lot of people, learn from their experiences, thereby making us better persons.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by AmakaDNB(f): 3:29pm On Aug 12, 2015
dearpreye:

That's good. It's good to read. It affords us the opportunity to travel into the world of a lot of people, learn from their experiences, thereby making us better persons.
Yeaa, well said

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 12, 2015
AmakaDNB:

Yeaa, well said

We won't stop learning.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by SunshineNYC(f): 4:21pm On Aug 12, 2015
The Brief Wondrous life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 12, 2015
SunshineNYC:
The Brief Wondrous life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz

Can you share a quote from the book?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by SunshineNYC(f): 5:06pm On Aug 12, 2015
dearpreye:

Can you share a quote from the book?

I'll share two smiley

"One thing you can count on in Santo Domingo. Not the lights, not the law. Sex. That never goes away. I didn't bother with the romance. I let take me to a love motel on our first "date". He was one of those vain politicos, a peledeísta, had his own big air-conditioned jípeta. When I pulled my pants down you never saw anybody so happy.
Until I asked him for two thousand dollars. American, I emphasized.
It's like Abuela says: Every snake thinks it's biting into a rat until the day it bites into a mongoose"

"More miracles, The next morning Oscar woke up and despite the tremendous tidings in his heart, despite the fact that he wanted to run over to Ybon's house and shackle himself to her bed, he didn't. He knew he had to cogerlo con take it easy, knew he had to rein in his lunatic heart or he would blow it. Whatever it was. Of course the nigger was entertaining mad fantasies inside his head. What do you expect? He was a not-so-fat fatboy who's never kissed a girl, never even lain in bed with one, and now the world was waving a beautiful puta under his nose.

It's historical fiction set partly in the Dominican Republic and partly in New Jersey. It chronicles the life of a very disfunctional family, particularly the main character Oscar who is a misfit living a tragic life.

There's a lot of Spanish words and phrases interjected but it's really a good book. I don't know what languages you speak but I've put meaning to the Spanish words as best I could.

Politicos - politician
Peledeísta - member of a specific party in the DR
Jípeta - A big SUV, commonly called a jeep no matter the make
Abuela - grandmother
Cogerlo con - With ease/ take it easy (not sure)
Puta - Ashawo grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
Reading must be made a habit. We must read every day. We must read purposefully and systematically. We must continue to seek personal development.

2 Likes

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by TheOkwukwe: 10:51pm On Aug 13, 2015
'Kabu Kabu' by Nnedi Okorafor was my last.
--
A collection of 21 stories weaved around these themes: magical realism, sci-fi and stuff related to that. I'll share some thoughts on this very soon sha.

Now, I'm reading 'Learn PHP In A Day' by Acodemy.
--
A book on a computer programming language known as PHP: HyperText Processor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 13, 2015
I'm currently reading Leading an inspired life...by Jim Rohn....It's being an awesome read. I'll recommend for anyone who's got the time and space to read a very great book on self development.

Discipline is the bridge that connects dreams to realities. No matter how noble, amazing and great our dreams may be, they will simply remain dreams if don't become disciplined in pursuing them. We can't achieve much in life without this vital and indispensable habit.

Good night.

2 Likes

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 14, 2015
We cannot move casually into a better future. We cannot casually pursue the goal we have set for ourselves. A goal that is casually pursued is not a goal; at best it is a wish, and wishes are little more than self-delusion. Wishes are an anaesthetic to be used by the unambitious, a narcotic that dulls their awareness of their own desperate condition.....Jim Rohn.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Mikwus(f): 3:30pm On Aug 14, 2015
Dear friend,

I'm at a loss for words. Jim Rohn, Oh! Jim Rohn. God bless his sweet soul

dearpreye:
We cannot move casually into a better future. We cannot casually pursue the goal we have set for ourselves. A goal that is casually pursued is not a goal; at best it is a wish, and wishes are little more than self-delusion. Wishes are an anaesthetic to be used by the unambitious, a narcotic that dulls their awareness of their own desperate condition.....Jim Rohn.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 3:34pm On Aug 14, 2015
Mikwus:
Dear friend,

God bless my colleague who directed me to this great man of wisdom. I doubt if I've paid any more attention to this man than I've ever done to another in the field of sef development!

It seems you have his books too.

1 Like

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 14, 2015
Mikwus:
Dear friend,

My dear, I have chosen to live and lead a targeted life. A life that follows my own script and design. No more haphazard living. No more ANYHOW living. No more default living. I must live a purposeful life. A life dedicated to being the very best I was designed to be.

I see a glorious and sunny future. I see the end already. It's clear in my soul and very obvious to my mind. I know where I'm headed. It's no more akin to a mirage. Targeted living. A conscious attempt to be of inestimable value.

It will take pains. It will demand less sleep. It will take sacrifices. Long years of discipline. It will take reading and planing into the late night. Sleep hasn't given me so much, though it's very necessary.

Forty years is just 10 World Cups away. It will soon be here. I'm willing to pay the price. And I'm backing my words with the appropriate actions.

2 Likes

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Mizzzbeee(f): 6:51pm On Aug 14, 2015
dearpreye:

My dear, I have chosen to live and lead a targeted life. A life that follows my own script and design. No more haphazard living. No more ANYHOW living. No more default living. I must live a purposeful life. A life dedicated to being the very best I was designed to be.

I see a glorious and sunny future. I see the end already. It's clear in my soul and very obvious to my mind. I know where I'm headed. It's no more akin to a mirage. Targeted living. A conscious attempt to be of inestimable value.

It will take pains. It will demand less sleep. It will take sacrifices. Long years of discipline. It will take reading and planing into the late night. Sleep hasn't given me so much, though it's very necessary.

Forty years is just 10 World Cups away. It will soon be here. I'm willing to pay the price. And I'm backing my words with the appropriate actions.
Awesome this is exactly what I want people to see and come to the point whereby they all live a God directed life a purpose driven Life... DEARPREYE pls finish dat chapter here pls smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 14, 2015
Mizzzbeee:
Awesome this is exactly what I want people to see and come to the point whereby they all live a God directed life a purpose driven Life... DEARPREYE pls finish dat chapter here pls smiley

Good evening, my good friend. I'm becoming more and more conscious of the fact that I'm responsible for MY life.

I'll endeavour to finish the chapter I'm on here.

Information motivates, and action brings the results.

1 Like

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by hector: 10:47pm On Aug 14, 2015
Americana by Chimamanda Adichie. I hope am not too late reading it nw..??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 10:49pm On Aug 14, 2015
hector:
Americana by Chimamanda Adichie. I hope am not too late reading it nw..??

You can never be too late reading what you've not read before.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by jfkenny(m): 11:04pm On Aug 14, 2015
Great thread ..would have been a lot better with download links..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by jfkenny(m): 11:05pm On Aug 14, 2015
dearpreye:

Can u send Leading an inspired life as an eBook

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (34) (Reply)

The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / The Day The World Ended / #my Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.