Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,255 members, 7,815,391 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! (101391 Views)

What Book Are You Reading Now / No More Room For Love- By Loudest Thoughts / What's The Most Captivating Story You Are Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Aare2050(m): 2:04pm On Jul 14, 2015
Re-reading 'the beggars strike' by Aminata sow fall

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 14, 2015
whoisuche:

Read the Bible

Thank you. You can't finish reading that one. Thank you!
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by formerlyMbulela: 2:05pm On Jul 14, 2015
dearpreye:

Thanks. But why do we read more foreign authors than we do ours? It's worrisome!
Your worry is baseless.
There are four books stated above.
2 by Nigerians and two by other Africans.
So how did you arrive at your conclusion?
I read what I wish as I am a world citizen. If i find a good Nigerian book, i read, if i find a good book written by a Non-Nigerian, i read. I do not choose a book based on the nationality of its writer. That is small mindedness.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 14, 2015
Aare2050:

Why reading it again? Can beggars go on a strike? Tell me more, please!
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 14, 2015
formerlyMbulela:

Your worry is baseless.
There are four books stated above.
2 by Nigerians and two by other Africans.
So how did you arrive at your conclusion?
I read what I wish as I am a world citizen. If i find a good Nigerian book, i read, if i find a good book written by a Non-Nigerian, i read. I do not choose a book based on the nationality of its writer. That is small mindedness.

Too many strong words. All the same, thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by tohpahz(f): 2:06pm On Jul 14, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Get your head out of the books and take a nice long walk.

smiley

Nice long walk to where?? shocked
This one people are getting missing anyhow..
Hmmmm grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by vivaciousvivi(f): 2:07pm On Jul 14, 2015
I am currently reading "The Hunt for Atlantis" by Matt MaCdermott.
The plot of the novel is clearly implied by the title. Although its fictional, the lost city of Atlantis has always fascinated me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by adedayourt(m): 2:07pm On Jul 14, 2015
uzolexis:

I've read Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons...my life was never the same again afterwards. Dan Brown is.....

i wont advice a christain wit a febble mind to read it, if care iz nt taken it ll reoriantate one faith. i read his collection fr d fun of it dou. u cud try d movies too(all his books has d movie)

2 Likes

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 14, 2015
yamking:
thanks dearpreye,
its a good topic u just raised and I am glad I am making my first post on Nairaland on this topic. It is such a great habit to cultivate when it comes to reading books.

I am currently reading The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. The author mentioned 5 major purposes why God created us and sent us here.

1. You were planned for God's pleasure
2. You were formed for God's family
3. You were created to become like Christ
4. You were shaped for serving God
5. You were made for a Mission

I will also suggest this wonderful book for anybody who really hunger for success:

The success principles by Jack Canfield.

It is a mind blowing book.

Remain blessed.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful lines. Thank you!

Rick Warren is a great writer.

Jack Canfield? Will check it out.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Rilwayne001: 2:10pm On Jul 14, 2015
"STONE OF TEARS" by Terry Goodkind.

It is the second book in Terry Goodkind 's epic fantasy series 'The Sword of Truth'.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jul 14, 2015
Rilwayne001:
"STONE OF TEARS" by Terry Goodkind.

It is the second book in Terry Goodkind 's epic fantasy series 'The Sword of Truth'.

Brother, can you share some more thoughts on it?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 14, 2015
Rebsy:
Joel Osteen :Become A Better You.

Give us ONE WAY one can become a better person.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 14, 2015
unongu:
I am currently reading "The 27 Most Common Misconceptions About the Catholic Church" by Moses Unongu. May God bless the writer abundantly! Amen!!!

Wow!! You're the author? Good one.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Roidatom(m): 2:19pm On Jul 14, 2015
[size=20pt]Jewish Wisdom for Business Success by Rabbi Levi Brackman and Sam Jeff[/size]

[size=14pt]I've also got audio books, which include:[/size]
Think and grow rich
48 Laws of power
Smart cuts to be a millionaire

And 50 more books.
[size=20pt]You want any of them?[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 14, 2015
juddexy2:
OMG!!! I have been blessed by this Thread, motivation flowing steadily, inspirations abounding and knowledge pouring out from intellectual giants...I've vowed to increase my reading intensity..Knowledge is now going beyond power, its becoming life.

Well done OP!

Thank you! The are some of the most poignant words on this thread. I was reading THE ROAD LESS TRAVELLED. The benefits from the book were so much I needed to share with my people here; hence this topic.

Thanks for your contribution. All we need has been written. We just need to dig more.

If there's one thing the rich has over the poor, it's INFORMATION. The rich understand the rules of money; the poor only knows the money. The former is the producer while the latter is a mere consumer. Producers are always richer than consumers.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by JoeCutie(m): 2:24pm On Jul 14, 2015
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
* Prof. Langdon * The Courier *Check out for more details yourself grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by tuscani: 2:26pm On Jul 14, 2015
I AM READING THE KING OF TORTS by john grisham

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by leahcimzil: 2:26pm On Jul 14, 2015
barcanista:
Oga I gained the knowledge and left the College mid way... I no even wait till graduation (No time).

The Lord is Good grin
loL this is funny...I hope say yu dey make money sha...cos no be everybody be Bill Gate oh
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by dober(m): 2:29pm On Jul 14, 2015
Currently on "Where Rainbows End" by Cecelia Ahern So interesting. Watched the video too "Love Rosie"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 14, 2015
ngbede1984:
"THE RICHEST MAN IN BABYLON", BY GEORGE S. CLASON. The book is all about finance managemant by delves into savings and investments to secured ones future. Thank you very much OP, its realy true that "great leaders read daily, though not all readers are leaders, but all good leaders are readers. Its' realy good to read. As for me, the one i stated above of which i will be rounding up with it soon, is the fourth books i'm going to finish between January and then. The one i have red so far are as follows; "HOW TO MAKES FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE" BY DALE CARNIEGE; "BELIEVE YOU CAN, THE POWER OF A POSITIVE ATTITUDE" BY JOHN MASON; "THE PRINCIPLE OF SUCCESS", BY BRIAN TRACY". Also i have done with some chapters and pages from "THE BUSINESS @ THE SPEED OF THOUGHT", BY BILL GATES. Thanks once again OP. I like reading so much and is realy helping me, that is why i over cherished this your topic. Time will not permits me to gives summary of what some of those books were talking about, but they are all interesting books that anybody can get them and read. I salute you all nairalanders.

Thank you. Every person needs to read that Richest Man In Babylon. I'm planning to read it once again after doing so many years ago. We all need money but very few of us pay attention to the subject.

Thanks for the kind words.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by leahcimzil: 2:31pm On Jul 14, 2015
check out Steve Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. series of epic fantansy. I believe this is the best work ill ever come across.
I'm a Stepehen King lover too(have all his books smiley ...bad like that :p). reading is cool tho...can't imagine my life without a book. jeez

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Ihinmi(m): 2:33pm On Jul 14, 2015
Am currently reading 'Angels' by Charles Capps & Annette Capps

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 14, 2015
I am reading bridge to haven by francine rivers. I just got started on it and its been a very good read so far. Francine rivers never dissapoints me. Its a work of fiction about a baby girl dumped at the bridge of a small town. She is found by the town's pastor, pastor zeke, whose wife, marianne, insists on keeping the baby despite her weak heart condition. They both have a son, joshua. They name the baby abra. Few years later, marianne dies, abra has to be taken to a new home in town. She nurses a lot of hurt and bitterness towards God and pastor zeke. Joshua starts feeling things he shouldnt for abra....he is however called to war in korea as a medic. Thats where I am right now in the book.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Rilwayne001: 2:34pm On Jul 14, 2015
dearpreye:

Brother, can you share some more thoughts on it?

[b] Hmmmm...Just started reading the stone of tears, and damn, the book is interesting. One can't talk about the 'Stone of tears' without refering to the first book in the fatasy series i.e. WIZARD FIRST RULE.

Here is a summary of the WIZARD FIRST RULE:

The primary protagonist in Wizard's First Rule is
Richard Cypher , a young woods guide. Richard lives
in an area of the world known as Westland, which is
the only part of the world that at the time contains
no magic. The Westland is separated from the other
lands by a dangerous magical boundary that
prevents anyone without the aid of powerful magic
from passing through it. On the other side of the
boundary are many sovereign nations, jointly known
as the Midlands, and farther still past another
magical boundary lies the empire of D'Hara. Richard
works as a woods guide leading important political
figures through dangerous forests, while his
brother 's interests lie entirely in politics.

Richard is compelled to investigate the unsolved
murder of his father , who worked as a trader of
ancient artifacts. Investigating the only clue he has, a
small piece of vine, he happens upon a woman
named Kahlan Amnell , whom he helps keep alive as
she is being hunted by a group of four men sent to
assassinate her.

After Richard helps to save Kahlan's life, it is
revealed that Kahlan has come through the
boundary with the aid of five wizards searching for
the First Wizard, who is rumored to have crossed
into the Westland after the creation of the
boundaries. Richard takes Kahlan to his best friend
and mentor, Zedd. Richard collapses after showing
Zedd his vine piece, and Zedd recoils, saying it's a
snakevine.

When Richard wakes up the morning after being
healed from the bite by the snakevine, he identifies
Zedd as the First Wizard, and Zedd declares Richard
the Seeker of Truth because this was his final test.

The "Seeker" is a title which comes with many
responsibilities, primarily the Sword of Truth: an
ancient magical weapon forged by the powerful
wizards of old to enhance the righteous anger of the
Seeker of Truth. Zedd explains that while the Sword
is an awesome tool, Richard himself is the true
weapon. They begin their journey together to stop
Darken Rahl, the ruler of the eastern land of D'hara,
and prevent him from opening the boxes of Orden:
magical devices which can give absolute power over
life and death. Kahlan tells them that Rahl has two
of the boxes but requires the third before he is able
to make the magic work. Richard and Kahlan are
tasked with finding the third box and keeping it out
of Rahl's hands until the winter solstice, at which
time, unless Rahl opens a box, his life will be forfeit
to the magic of Orden.

However, due to an attack from some of the
creatures of the boundary, Richard and Kahlan are
forced to leave their companions in the care of Adie:
a mysterious bone woman and cross the boundary
alone. They journey to the village of the Mud People.

This tribe had the ability to contact spirit ancestors
for guidance. In order to seek out where the third
box of Orden is hidden, they ask for the ancestors
to be contacted. Overnight, Kahlan and Richard
share a passionate moment, and Richard asks what a
Confessor is, ending the moment. After finally
convincing the Mud people to comply by becoming
mud people themselves, they learn through a
gathering of the mud people's ancestors that only
the witch woman Shota, who is more feared than
any other person in all the Midlands, has the power
to reveal the location of the last box of Orden. While
in the gathering Darken Rahl slaughters several mud
people and kidnaps Siddin, the son of an elder.

Richard and Kahlan travel to Agaden Reach where
Shota tells them that the last box is in the hands of
Queen Milena. Kahlan finally tells Richard that a
Confessor uses the power of love to destroy a
persons mind, making them absolute slaves, able to
even die at the Confessors request. Shota also warns
Richard that both Kahlan and Zedd will use their
powers against him. From Agaden Reach, they travel
to Tamarang, seat of Queen Milena, meeting back up
with Zedd along the way.

Upon reaching Tamarang, they discover that the last
box is gone and eventually realize it was given to a
small girl named Rachel for safekeeping. Soon
Richard is separated from the group and he falls
into the hands of a Mord-Sith named Denna and
brutally tortured for a month. However, his innate
gentleness alters their relationship, and Richard
eventually breaks free of Dennas control after Denna
brings Richard to Darkhen Rahl to recite the Book of
Counted Shadows. Knowing that Denna has to die,
Richard turns the blade of the Sword white through
the power of his love and kills her. After helping a
dragon named Scarlet find her lost egg, he discovers
how to both beat Rahl, and be with Kahlan. Kahlan,
falsely thinking Richard dead by Rahl, enters the
Con-Dar, or Blood Rage. Thinking Richard is in fact
Rahl, she uses her powers on him. Rahl, thinking
Richard is now at his mercy, uses him to recite the
Book of Counted Shadows. In the end, Rahl opens
the wrong Box of Orden, under Richard's false
guidance, thus killing Rahl. Kahlan, alone by a pool,
orders Richard to leave, thinking he is still under her
power, and Richard reveals he was protected, by his
already complete and unconditional love for her.

Finally, it is learned upon Rahl's death that Rahl
raped Zedd's daughter, which resulted in Richard's
conception. Thus, Zedd is Richard's grandfather,
and Richard is the new Lord Rahl. Kahlan and
Richard set off for the Mud People's village to return
Siddin to his parents.
- Culled from wikipedia [/b]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 14, 2015
just finished norman vincent peale's 'the power of positive thinking' now reading 'talent is never enough' by john .c. Maxwell..brilliant books that change my perception of things...next is gonna be a half of a yellow sun..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by VickyRotex(f): 2:37pm On Jul 14, 2015
"The power of being positive" by Joyce Meyer

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by leahcimzil: 2:39pm On Jul 14, 2015
Aare2050:
Need to re read that ....Ive been re reading a couple of books I read wen I was younger, and I must say, they all have like whole new meanings now. take for example Animal Farm...wen I read it in pry and sec skool, it was just a book bout animals that could talk, but after rereading it of recent, I start to realise the political systems and the politics found in that book. Anoda example is Paulo cehlo's(not sure of the spelling) Alchemist...the book makes more sense now more than ever

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by mayor007(m): 2:42pm On Jul 14, 2015
ginawest:
I am currently reading 'midnight voices' by John Saul....very scary
can you please send this book to me? Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by VickyRotex(f): 2:45pm On Jul 14, 2015
Whynotthetruth:
In His Presence by E.W. Kenyon and my bible...

It is all about building faith through knowledge of the word of God, and confession of the word as well as eschewing sin consciousness...

Do you have an e-version of the book? If you do, can I get the link to buy/download? Thanks.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by benjaminiyke(m): 2:48pm On Jul 14, 2015
Am currently reading "48 laws of power" by Robert Green. Although this is my 5th time of reading it,I just love the tricks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by brirold(m): 2:48pm On Jul 14, 2015
Tired of asking pple around to take photos of you. Want to take group photos with no member excluded. Den u need a Monopod Selfie Stick..

Also,

Want to transfer files from between ur Smartphones/Tablets/Computers with ease (Plug and play, no cable required). Den u need OTG Flash Drive for Smartphones/Tablets/Computers

Also,
Working late at night on ur laptops and finding it difficult to see ur keyboard very well or need a quick reading lamp to use on ur power bank... Den u need 'Mini Light for laptops and powerbank'

For more information... Pls check my signature/profile.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by QueenSharon(f): 2:49pm On Jul 14, 2015
MizMyColi:
embarassedcry

I read newspaper.
I have no idea what book to read.
sad

Book of Life #Bible grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (34) (Reply)

The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / The Day The World Ended / #my Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.