Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! (101372 Views)

What Book Are You Reading Now / No More Room For Love- By Loudest Thoughts / What's The Most Captivating Story You Are Currently Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Banter1(m): 1:39pm On Jul 14, 2015
How to lose a guy in 60 seconds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by uzolexis(f): 1:41pm On Jul 14, 2015
Currently reading "Animal Farm" again after so many years.....I hate Napoleon angry angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 14, 2015
I just finished reading Long walk to freedom by Nelson Mandela...
And now ayaf to read Law of Contract by Prof Itse Sagay cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by uzolexis(f): 1:43pm On Jul 14, 2015
adedayourt:
Currently reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Author of Da'vinci Code, Angels And Demons

All about ancient symbologies, myth, occultism, mysteries

"Thrilling in the extreme- a definite page flipper"- New York Daily Times

I've read Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons...my life was never the same again afterwards. Dan Brown is.....
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Xxpress(m): 1:43pm On Jul 14, 2015
kasmail:
I so much love reading but i need mobile app dat can let me download books
Try Okada books

2 Likes

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by fourlarring(m): 1:44pm On Jul 14, 2015
Think Big by Dr Ben Carson

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by unongu(m): 1:44pm On Jul 14, 2015
I am currently reading "The 27 Most Common Misconceptions About the Catholic Church" by Moses Unongu. May God bless the writer abundantly! Amen!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by uzolexis(f): 1:44pm On Jul 14, 2015
ajepako:

Read: RunAway Jury

The Firm But Avoid Pelican Brief (Boring)

All by John Grisham

I've read all of them "Runaawy Jury, The firm and Pelican brief". All that I know about Law I owe to John Grisham smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by UjSizzle(f): 1:45pm On Jul 14, 2015
I'm reading Blindness by Jose Saramago.

The book was published in 1995 originally in Portugese, but copies have been translated into other languages. It's also been made into a motion picture.

The story begins with this quote:
If you have eyes, look
If you can look, see.

I'm still in the 34th page, but the book centers around 5 individuals who have been struck by 'white blindness'. Unlike regular blindness that leaves you see darkness like someone turned off the light, this one leaves you with an endless stretch of white light.
Almost unsettling as the victims put it.

I haven't gotten to the central theme of the plot yet, but going by what I've seen so far the author is probably trying to establish a major flaw in the way we live. We have eyes, but are really blind. We look, but see nothing. We don't perceive, don't feel.

We're taken through the individual fear of the characters as they learn to 'feel' their way through life and develop other sensory organs.

The story telling is also unconventional. Rather than use dialogues with quotation, the author jumbled up everything. New dialogues are indicated by a capital letter (within a sentence) and sometimes it's confusing who is speaking at a time.

So far I'm enjoying the read smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by uzolexis(f): 1:46pm On Jul 14, 2015
unongu:
I am currently reading "The 27 Most Common Misconceptions About the Catholic Church" by Moses Unongu. May God bless the writer abundantly! Amen!!!

You should read "Rome sweet Home" by Scott and Kimberly Hahn..that book lifted me when I was loosing faith, I think I need to read it again sef.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 14, 2015
uzolexis:
Currently reading "Animal Farm" again after so many years.....I hate Napoleon angry angry angry

Four legs good....two legs baad. grin

Oddly enough...I saw a cartoon film version of Animal Farm before I actually read the book when I was much younger.

George Orwell's satire of the progress of revolution....from idealism to cynicism.

(Almost read George Orwell's 1984...another of his famous books..ten years ago...but by then I was suffering from dystopian novels aversion. smiley)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 14, 2015
dearpreye:

Actually, more than 4 months. See below:

The sum of the first n terms of a geometric progression is 364. The sum of their reciprocal is 364 / 243. If the first term is 1, find n and the common ratio.

Good luck!
hahaha
good luck indeed!
I'm having some preliminary insights though. I might solve it within the week. :-)
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by unongu(m): 1:48pm On Jul 14, 2015
uzolexis:

You should read "Rome sweet Home" by Scott and Kimberly Hahn..that book lifted me when I was loosing faith, I think I need to read it again sef.
Will search for it and cancel... Thanx.

1 Like

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by TONYE001(m): 1:49pm On Jul 14, 2015
Every available Physiology textbook and material..
Guyton, Ganong, Sembulingham, Internet, etc..
Sidney Sheldon's If Tomorrow Comes...
Awake!
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by TONYE001(m): 1:49pm On Jul 14, 2015
Double post..
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by LazyGod(m): 1:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
Presently, I'm reading myself. I actually took the battle to the gate since middle of last 2 yrs realizing how much, knowing myself surpasses all knowledge acquirable.

Right now I'm breaking all ice - cracking my pinea body out of dormancy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by freeage7(m): 1:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
[quote author=BobUg28 post=35569639]BORROWING BRILLIANCE__The Six steps to business innovation by building on the ideas of others. written by David Kord Murray.

This has been one of my favourite handbook written by a renowned American author. In this book, David K Murray was telling us how every idea by the ancient great men on the forbes like Thomas Bayes, Charles Darwin, Allen Paul, Dan Bricklin, Abert Einstein,Thomas Edison, John D Rockfella et al... was either borrowed, plagiarised or stolen from the Neanderthals which brought them to limelight.

He went further to portray that "Every firm seeks for the best employee and the best should be abundant of Innovative ideas" so to get the best of innovative ideas, one has to work on (borrow from) the related idea(s) of others that the the secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your source.

"As a businessperson, you 'll combine the idea borrowed from your direct competitors with the materials borrowed from other industries with the more exotic materials collected from places unrelated to business, such as science, nature,or entertainment, and use the stuff to construct a truly creative business idea"[/quote
Baravo! ]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Sanjayd1(f): 1:50pm On Jul 14, 2015
I just finished Americanah by Chimamanda. Very interesting one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Shaadey: 1:51pm On Jul 14, 2015
practical magic
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by freeage7(m): 1:52pm On Jul 14, 2015
gensteejay:

I just downloaded the book you recommended and will start reading it tomorrow by God's grace, I hope it'll be a good read. These days, I read books on History and Politics most times when I'm free. And there are no quotes to share from the books, I only got impressed by the native intelligence, valor and statesmanship of George Washington after reading the history book about US.
Which site do u download books from pls? Are the downloads for free?
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by formerlyMbulela: 1:53pm On Jul 14, 2015
Just finished LOOKING ON DARKNESS by Andre Brink.
It is an apartheid era novel that talks about an actor who was imprisoned for falling in love across racial boundaries. Raw with political emotion and thought provoking, it explores the depths of how a man used his work as an artist to confront the tyranny of Apartheid.
Lovely book for any lover of South African literature.

Presently I have started reading HAPPINESS LIKE WATER by Chinelo Okparanta.
A collection of short stories. Looks promising but nothing extraordinary yet.
She is a former PH kid like me, so bonus points to her.

Next I will either read PENUMBRA by Songeziwe Mahlangu or NIGHT DANCER by Chika Unigwe. It depends to how the spirit leads me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Samguine: 1:55pm On Jul 14, 2015
dearpreye:

That author is one of the most brilliant Christian authors. Majority of his books are classics!

Thought he wrote MERE CHRISTIANITY!
Yes he did.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 14, 2015
Teempakguy:
hahaha
good luck indeed!
I'm having some preliminary insights though. I might solve it within the week. :-)

I've tried it for so long. No results. Be careful; pay attention to every word in it.
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by yamking: 1:57pm On Jul 14, 2015
thanks dearpreye,
its a good topic u just raised and I am glad I am making my first post on Nairaland on this topic. It is such a great habit to cultivate when it comes to reading books.

I am currently reading The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren. The author mentioned 5 major purposes why God created us and sent us here.

1. You were planned for God's pleasure
2. You were formed for God's family
3. You were created to become like Christ
4. You were shaped for serving God
5. You were made for a Mission

I will also suggest this wonderful book for anybody who really hunger for success:

The success principles by Jack Canfield.

It is a mind blowing book.

Remain blessed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by abdulslutsky(m): 1:57pm On Jul 14, 2015
Reading "The picture of dorian gray" by oscar wilde. Its a philosophical novel, an absolutely riveting read.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by diesel86: 1:58pm On Jul 14, 2015
dearpreye:

Hmm. Deep. Poignant. My studying the habits of the wealthy, the poor can also become wealthy. Sex, drugs and alcohol never really solve problems; they only postpone the problem and create a stronger hunger for more of sex and drugs. The cycle hardly breaks.

Sure bro, i read this book the first time about 2 years ago, reading it now makes a lot of sense, would recommend it for those who beleive they can legitimately become wealthy exponentially " contains some mind provoking stuff "

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 14, 2015
formerlyMbulela:
Just finished LOOKING ON DARKNESS by Andre Brink.
It is an apartheid era novel that talks about an actor who was imprisoned for falling in love across racial boundaries. Raw with political emotion and thought provoking, it explores the depths of how a man used his work as an artist to confront the tyranny of Apartheid.
Lovely book for any lover of South African literature.

Presently I have started reading HAPPINESS LIKE WATER by Chinelo Okparanta.
A collection of short stories. Looks promising but nothing extraordinary yet.
She is a former PH kid like me, so bonus points to her.

Next I will either read PENUMBRA by Songeziwe Mahlangu or NIGHT DANCER by Chika Unigwe. It depends to how the spirit leads me.

Thanks. But why do we read more foreign authors than we do ours? It's worrisome!
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by uzolexis(f): 1:58pm On Jul 14, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Four legs good....two legs baad. grin

Oddly enough...I saw a cartoon film version of Animal Farm before I actually read the book when I was much younger.

George Orwell's satire of the progress of revolution....from idealism to cynicism.

(Almost read George Orwell's 1984...another of his famous books..ten years ago...but by then I was suffering from dystopian novels aversion. smiley)

Animal farm is his only book i've read maybe i'll ook for 1984 but that'll be after i'm done reading a research article I came across wc spiked my interest "Do arab women care about feminism"...my next read after animal farm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by ngbede1984: 2:01pm On Jul 14, 2015
"THE RICHEST MAN IN BABYLON", BY GEORGE S. CLASON. The book is all about finance managemant by delves into savings and investments to secured ones future. Thank you very much OP, its realy true that "great leaders read daily, though not all readers are leaders, but all good leaders are readers. Its' realy good to read. As for me, the one i stated above of which i will be rounding up with it soon, is the fourth books i'm going to finish between January and then. The one i have red so far are as follows; "HOW TO MAKES FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE" BY DALE CARNIEGE; "BELIEVE YOU CAN, THE POWER OF A POSITIVE ATTITUDE" BY JOHN MASON; "THE PRINCIPLE OF SUCCESS", BY BRIAN TRACY". Also i have done with some chapters and pages from "THE BUSINESS @ THE SPEED OF THOUGHT", BY BILL GATES. Thanks once again OP. I like reading so much and is realy helping me, that is why i over cherished this your topic. Time will not permits me to gives summary of what some of those books were talking about, but they are all interesting books that anybody can get them and read. I salute you all nairalanders.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by juddexy2(m): 2:02pm On Jul 14, 2015
OMG!!! I have been blessed by this Thread, motivation flowing steadily, inspirations abounding and knowledge pouring out from intellectual giants...I've vowed to increase my reading intensity..Knowledge is now going beyond power, its becoming life.

Well done OP!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by whoisuche: 2:03pm On Jul 14, 2015
dearpreye:
We've been repeatedly told that readers are leaders. Also, that he who doesn't read has a very little advantage over the one that cannot read. To read is to learn and grow. We won't stay long enough to experience all life has to offer. We need to read to learn from the lessons and experiences of others.

It's very saddening that in this age, despite the overwhelming abundance of information, a lot of us don't really study.

All the information we need to succeed in life has been written. Be it on money, marriage, health, business, family, success itself, religion. Name it. It's been written.

I'm currently reading THE ROAD LESS TRAVELLED, By Scott Peck. It's being an awesome read. The author talked on pleasure, suffering, discipline, delayed gratification, child training and religion.

I'll talk briefly on self gratification. It's the ability to forego today's even legitimate pleasure for tomorrow's gain. Without it, wealth, health and joy will elude the individual. No one can truly succeed without this vital ingredient of life. To delay gratification is to prioritise. To delay gratification is to always look at the bigger picture.

The future is hardly far away. It comes pretty quiver than we can imagine. Time hasn't waited for anyone. If we must live a happier tomorrow, we must be mature and brave enough to delay gratification. I'll encourage as many as possible to get a copy of this great book and travel in the mind of the author.

So, let's see which book you're currently reading. Any book. And don't forget to drop a line or two from it. Thanks.

Lalasticlala and Ishilove, please let's do justice to this thread. Readers are leaders.

Cc: SarahBabyxx, ideykwum, Whynotthetruth, barcanista, Truckpusher, MizMyColi, et al.

Read the Bible
Re: Which Book Are You Currently Reading? Share Some Thoughts! by abouzaid: 2:03pm On Jul 14, 2015
the timeless way of building, the pattern language, engineering mathematics, advanced engineering mathematics, convenient homes, structural analysis etc i have a huge list to go through but limited time to do it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / The Day The World Ended / #my Life

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.