Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,027 members, 7,814,508 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! (12568 Views)

Yoruba Youths Warn Northerners: Stop Being Economical With Truth, R / Patience And Goodluck Jonathan On A Date In New Jersey / Is Nigeria Still Towing The Path Of Democracy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 10, 2015
A few days ago, a seemingly innocuous thread I created here was taken down on the grounds it supported the Biafra Cause. I wrote that article in the deepest demonstration of loyalty to truth and fairness. I agree it may have violated a rule on the site but I'm still shocked it wasn't relegated to the secessionist/Ethnic section. It was removed and hidden. I'll still try to state the issues that Nigeria must address if it must experience meaningful development, progress and national peace.

For all intent and purposes, Nigeria can work if we all are willing to sit and talk sincerely about our myriads of problems. All the agitation for Biafra and other secessionist moves will simply fade into space if we can address this problems. And the problems aren't unknown to us.

A Borrowed System.

Our current constitution, which plays no small part in our stagnant situation, was s implied copied and styled after the US Constitution. It's advisable to endeavour to follow the pattern of a nation that runs one of the longest and largest democracies in the world. But it's retrogression and inimical to tailor our system after that of the US without considering our particular uniqueness. The Japanese, Koreans and the Chinese have been sincere and brave enough to design a constitution that fits their uniqueness, and that's largely responsible for their growth and development.

If Nigeria must grow, it must stop making little and biased amendments to the Constitution and get for itself a better and more participatory constitution. We don't practice something you don't own. So far, Nigeria is like a company that runs on another's policy. It has never worked.

True Federalism

Solve this problem, and see Nigeria on its part to growth. The current unitary system only breeds laziness, parasitism, mind boggling corruption and underdevelopment. I can write pages on this economic injustice. We've been only reading of Excess Crude Account, but when are we going to read of Excess Groundnut Account? No system can survive on this kind of shocking injustice. If a state has only 3 billion naira, can it tolerate an individual therein embezzling 2 billion naira out of it? No way. But that's the case with the current situation. States simply fold their arms till nd wait till end of money, collect allocations, squander it and them wait till the next month ending. The cycle never ends. If Nigeria doesn't address these situations, then human lives will surely be used to sustain the current Nigeria.

I'm shocked as to why a people will know their problems and keep playing the ostrich. No matter how long Nigeria runs, it has a date with these salient and solemn truths.

Nigeria, stop deceiving yourselves. For the sake of our peace and development, let's sincerely talk. With this current structure, THERE'S NO FUTURE!

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Viktor1983(m): 12:53pm On Jul 10, 2015
Following.
I'm wishing that only matured minds will come to discuss this thread. I know it will never happen though.
can they prove me wrong?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 12:53pm On Jul 10, 2015
lets have a conversation. what do you hope nigeria will achieve by practising true federalism?

what are your primary concerns with nigeria as a nation? poverty?

do you believe that true federalism will resolve poverty in nigeria? why? and how?

other countries with oil that are mono-cultural such as venezuela and iran also suffer from the dutch disease of oil dependency. they do not have a multi-ethnic population so why do you propose true federalism as a cure for nigeria?

why not a system were all crude profits are used for infrastructural development as opposed the payment of salaries?

do you think the oil revenue is not enough to develop the whole of nigeria if used prudently?

dearpreye please answer me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Emekamex(m): 12:55pm On Jul 10, 2015
->I share the same thought bro. The truth is that people will still avoid this thread or insult or call you names.
->Nigeria was never created with equality or fairness, hence the numerous problems we suffer.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by yang(m): 12:55pm On Jul 10, 2015
Just divide this zoo. We no want again.

In saner places, that dwarf el-rufai will be in an Underground prison cell hoping that Amechi does not rape him at Night.

They just steal from Biafra and take the money to give Jigawa State.

Then SUle Lamido and his ugly wives will use it to buy 22 cars and they call it One Zoo.

Tell me what is my business with a Baboon from Jigawa?? I cant even drink beer on the streets there.

Just Baboons and Monkeys Everywhere.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Agbaletu: 12:55pm On Jul 10, 2015
It is unfortunate that all the states look up to the centre to survive. My state was once known for Cocoa but i must confess to you all the Cocoa plantations are dead. I see no reason why a state cannot exploit its natural resources except FG approves such. Why should the Niger-Delta Oil be used to develop the rest of the country and even pay civil servants' salaries? This is not good enough!
This is the more reason why i like the Igbo people for asking for Biafra. I wish they will get it someday. It is high time we the chidren of Oduduwa started thinking in that line. I don't think things should continue this way.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Viktor1983(m): 12:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
yang:

In saner places, that dwarf el-rufai will be in an Underground prison cell hoping that Amechi does not rape him at Night.

Then SUle Lamido and his ugly wives will use it to buy 22 cars and they call it One Zoo.

Tell me what is my business with a Baboon from Jigawa?? I cant even drink beer on the streets there.

U didn't even wait for me to finish typing? Lol!
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Raymondgabriel(m): 12:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:
lets have a conversation. what do you hope nigeria will achieve by practising true federalism?

do you believe that true federalism will resolve poverty in nigeria? why? and how?

other countries with oil that are mono cultural such as venezuela and iran also suffer from the dutch disease of oil dependency. they do not have a multi-ethnic population so why do you propose true federalism as a cure for nigeria?

why not a system were all crude profits are used for infrastructural development as opposed the payment of salaries?

Let me start with you.

Why won't true federalism solve our problems?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Viktor1983(m): 1:00pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Let me start with you.

He asked u a question first? give him ur points.
keep it simple and nice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 10, 2015
Agbaletu:
It is unfortunate that all the states look up to the centre to survive

And that's the bane we have here. No one is thinking!

Just share the money and wait till another sharing period.

Why the mad rush to Abuja? It's the definition of madness.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jul 10, 2015
Viktor1983:

He asked u a question first?

OK. So let me start with his points though they be very many.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jul 10, 2015
Emekamex:
->I share the same thought bro. The truth is that people will still avoid this thread or insult or call you names.
->Nigeria was never created with equality or fairness, hence the numerous problems we suffer.

It's a risk I'm willing to take.

I don't want to even mention the fact the foundation was so faulty and dubious.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 1:02pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Let me start with you.

because our problem has nothing to do with the amount of income we make of oil but how we manage our income. it is like earning 1 million naira and spending it on expensive liquor and another person earning 500 thousand and buying a plot of land to build a house. we do not have our priorities straight.

true federalism will only provide more income to the niger delta region. if the region remains in nigeria, the people of the region will still be using the same currency with the rest of the country. if the naira falls, everyone will still suffer.

are you proposing a division of nigeria?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Viktor1983(m): 1:02pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

OK. So let me start with his points though they be very many.
nice one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Agbaletu: 1:09pm On Jul 10, 2015
I once argued with a friend a few months ago when i told him that his state should start generating revenue from lands. I was socked when he told me that what happen to the Oil & Gas in SS. I could not continue the discussion with him because he believes that the Niger-Delta Oil belongs to all Nigerians and not the oil producing communities or states. If no one is dragging my father's cocoa farms with me i see no reason why i should drag the ownership of oil with the Niger-Deltans. We have Kaolin and Bauxitic Clay in my village but nobody is exploiting them.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

other countries with oil that are mono-cultural such as venezuela and iran also suffer from the dutch disease of oil dependency. they do not have a multi-ethnic population so why do you propose true federalism as a cure for nigeria?

do you think the oil revenue is not enough to develop the whole of nigeria if used prudently?

I'll endeavour to do the little I can do on your questions.

And let me start from the scratch: Nigeria has a faulty and very dubious foundation. And we all know the significance of a good and fair foundation to a building and to a nation.

True Federalism simply means states managing the greater part of their resources and the centre having a little part. In essence, the 13 % derivation should actually go to the centre and not the other way round.

We have scores of mineral resources lying fallow and untapped up North. Imagine what will be the IGR of those states if they are being tapped and developed! Thousands of jobs will result, and you know how that impacts poverty.

True Federalism will force states to be more prudent with their scarce resources. Their meagre resources will force them to scrap useless schemes like Jerusalem or Mecca pilgrimage...Oil, free oil money, is a recipe for massive corruption and looting...

Our problems go beyond poverty. Though no government has succeeded in eradicating poverty.

The bigger problems is the economic injustice perpetrated by the Nigerian state. A lot of people feel they're being cheated and rightly so.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by HopeAtHand: 1:12pm On Jul 10, 2015
Dearpreye, enlighten the house more on the model of true federalism best suited for Nigeria and also if Nigerias present deteriorating situation is more a failure of structure and/or leadership.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Raymondgabriel(m): 1:13pm On Jul 10, 2015
yang:

seriously Iam ashamed that an adult will speak in this manner in the 21st century! Bro try and choose your words carefully! But you can forgive me if you are not an adult!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

because our problem has nothing to do with the amount of income we make of oil but how we manage our income. it is like earning 1 million naira and spending it on expensive liquor and another person earning 500 thousand and buying a plot of land to build a house. we do not have our priorities straight.

true federalism will only provide more income to the niger delta region. if the region remains in nigeria, the people of the region will still be using the same currency with the rest of the country. if the naira falls, everyone will still suffer.

are you proposing a division of nigeria?

If you're not from the Niger delta, what profits they make from their oil shouldn't be your business. You're thinking in this line because we're used to decades of free oil money.

Texas and other oil rich US states manage THEIR oil resources and pay taxes to the centre. In fact the US is so developed the President runs mainly only foreign policy and national defense.

Every state must bring their coins to the table. Those who have tin, gold and other resources must bring their profits to the centre to ballance this injustice. It's indeed a bigger picture.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Agbaletu: 1:20pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

If you're not from the Niger delta, what profits they make from their oil shouldn't be your business. You're thinking in this line because we're used to decades of free oil money.

Texts and other oil rich US states manage THEIR oil resources and pay taxes to the centre. In fact the US is so developed the President runs mainly only foreign policy and national defense.

Every state must bring their coins to the table. Those who have tin, gold and other resources must bring their profits to the centre to ballance this injustice. It's indeed a bigger picture.

I agree with this submission 100%.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Agbaletu: 1:20pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Texts and other oil rich US states manage THEIR oil resources and pay taxes to the centre. In fact the US is so developed the President runs mainly only foreign policy and national defense.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 1:20pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

I'll endeavour to do the little I can do on your questions.

And let me start from the scratch: Nigeria has a faulty and very dubious foundation. And we all know the significance of a good and fair foundation to a building and to a nation.

True Federalism simply means states managing the greater part of their resources and the centre having a little part. In essence, the 13 % derivation should actually go to the centre and not the other way round.

We have scores of mineral resources lying fallow and untapped up North. Imagine what will be the IGR of those states if they are being tapped and developed! Thousands of jobs will result, and you know how that impacts poverty.

True Federalism will force states to be more prudent with their scarce resources. Their meagre resources will force them to scrap useless schemes like Jerusalem or Mecca pilgrimage...Oil, free oil money, is a recipe for massive corruption and looting...

Our problems go beyond poverty. Though no government has succeeded in eradicating poverty.

The bigger problems is the economic injustice perpetrated by the Nigerian state. A lot of people feel they're being cheated and rightly so.

what if true federalism only leads to a civil war that ends with the last man standing laying claim to the oil wealth? why do you believe that true federalism will force states to start making use of their own resources? how does true federalism stop oil from being free money? the only issue after true federalism may be ownership of the free oil money.

are there no other ways to encourage states to develop resources within their states. why not stop all states including the niger delta states from receiving monthly stipends? why not make laws that ensure states are run solely on taxes? all oil revenue can then be used for national development projects and public goods such as roads and electricity dams for irrigation.

must any state recieve funding from oil?
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 1:22pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

what you fail to realise is that the oil belongs to whoever possesses the land. get that in your head.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by mensdept: 1:24pm On Jul 10, 2015
Nigeria was and still is a colony, put together to siphon the wealth within its "borders". That is why we are answering our slave masters name despite being "independent" for 50 years because we are mumu and can't reason.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

In a true Federalism, the states will control their resources and remit a percentage to the Centre for its use.

In true federalism, states potentials are developed, there will be robust and ssystematic develeopment of its economy because a buoyant economy makes for a larger IGR.

Nigeria is a multi cultural society where revenue allocation is not done on a fair basis which gives rise to imbalance in the society, gerrymandering is now the order of the day with the allocation of resources being the motive, how do you see a situation where Jigawa has more LG than Lagos or where the population of kano is larger than Lagos.

Oil revenue can NEVER be enough to develop infrastructure because of the volatility in the oil market which makes the revenue to fall daily. A lot of countries are discovering oil today and the commodity is falling , the FG needs to invest in Human resources which will bring in the highest revenue.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 10, 2015
HopeAtHand:
Dearpreye, enlighten the house more on the model of true federalism best suited for Nigeria and also if Nigerias present deteriorating situation is more a failure of structure and/or leadership.

Every incident has a surface cause and a root cause. The root cause is what made the surface cause to remain. I'll be naive to rule out the place of visionary and focused leadership on the progress of a people.

In fact it was this foolishness of our leaders that converted our federal system into a unitary one. The primitive thieves saw the free money in the unitary system and then pounced on it. They won't let go without a fight.

It spells disaster for any nation so big and complex as ours to run a unitary system of government. It will never work, and NO amount of deception, payers will solve it. It's a structural issue.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

what you fail to realise is that the oil belongs to whoever possesses the land. get that in your head.

You're already beginning to sound angry and condescending.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
Agbaletu:

I agree with this submission 100%.

Anything less than that amounts to gross injustice, and no society so structured can find peace. Injustice and peace are both sides of the same coin.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 10, 2015
mensdept:
Nigeria was and still is a colony, put together to siphon the wealth within its "borders". That is why we are answering our slave masters name despite being "independent" for 50 years because we are mumu and can't reason.

I decided to leave that part in the article. But you're totally in order. We're yet to have independence in the core sense of that word.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 1:31pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
In a true Federalism, the states will control their resources and remit a percentage to the Centre for its use.

In true federalism, states potentials are developed, there will be robust and ssystematic develeopment of its economy because a buoyant economy makes for a larger IGR.

Nigeria is a multi cultural society where revenue allocation is not done on a fair basis which gives rise to imbalance in the society, gerrymandering is now the order of the day with the allocation of resources being the motive, how do you see a situation where Jigawa has more LG than Lagos or where the population of kano is larger than Lagos.

Oil revenue can NEVER be enough to develop infrastructure because of the volatility in the oil market which makes the revenue to fall daily. A lot of countries are discovering oil today and the commodity is falling , the FG needs to invest in Human resources which will bring in the highest revenue.

is true federalism the answer? why should any state use oil revenues to pay salaries and run itself? you say oil revenue is not enough to develop nigeria, but there are countries without oil that are developed.

the situation of LG in jigawa and lagos may be a genuine issue, but is it true federalism that solves it? is the no other way for the ND states to earn revenue apart from direct sales of crude oil?
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Leopardd(m): 1:32pm On Jul 10, 2015
See that one thinking about staying without oil.

Chineke Nna men.

Oil go kill some people oh.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

7 Confirmed Dead In Suicide Attacks In Bama IDP Camp / 2019: We'll Dump PDP If Atiku Fails To Secure The Ticket - Atiku Campaign Group / Ovie Omo-Agege: Gulak's Murder Is Barbaric And Callous

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.