Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,159 members, 7,829,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! (12619 Views)

Yoruba Youths Warn Northerners: Stop Being Economical With Truth, R / Patience And Goodluck Jonathan On A Date In New Jersey / Is Nigeria Still Towing The Path Of Democracy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 10, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Im for fiscal federalism when the institutionalised corruption we have in Nigeria has been greatly reduced or eradicated else it amounts to furthering the system to its worst limits.

if you say fiscal federalism will kill corruption, please enlighten the house.
You are putting the cart before the horse, one of the reasons why there is a high rate of corruption is because most of these governors depend on allocation from the centre and the citizens don't ask for accountabilty. A taxable economy will make citizenry to ask questions,

Fiscal federalism is the answer to our multi-faceted problems bedevilling us as a nation. We need it as fast as Yesterday

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 10, 2015
Candyrain:

I've been following ur post since the inception of this thread and I'm very impressed at your submission. This is a nice piece.
tnx, I'm enjoying this discuss that is devoid of bashing and name calling

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by HopeAtHand: 7:47pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
You are putting the cart before the horse, one of the reasons why there is a high rate of corruption is because most of these governors depend on allocation from the centre and the citizens don't ask for accountabilty. A taxable economy will make citizenry to ask questions,

Fiscal federalism is the answer to our multi-faceted problems bedevilling us as a nation. We need it as fast as Yesterday

Nope..Nigeria is way too corrupt to attempt that.

The citizens should hold the state governors accountable first for the IGR realised through their taxes..the citizens should get that right then we can know we are ready for something bigger.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 10, 2015
Let me invite other Nlanders to share in this discuss, omenka, panega, passingshot, cramjones, francizy, nigeriavenom, mizmycoli, firefire, mogidi, whynotthetruth, introvert, midollan agarawu23. Let's stay on the topic and not derail it please

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Candyrain(m): 8:38pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
tnx, I'm enjoying this discuss that is devoid of bashing and name calling

Exactly. I stay away from those thread filled with name calling and bashing. I don't drop a dot not to talk of contributing. It's disheartening seeing those things.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by NDPVF(m): 8:39pm On Jul 10, 2015
Whats going on,deapreye,i can neither quote,share,like or create post.
Seun,tell your mods to undo what they did to my account.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 10, 2015
NDPVF:
Whats going on,deapreye,i can neither quote,share,like or create post.

Seun,tell your mods to undo what they did to my account.

Something may be wrong somewhere. I just couldn't tell.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Mogidi: 9:05pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
Let me invite other Nlanders to share in this discuss, omenka, panega, passingshot, cramjones, francizy, nigeriavenom, mizmycoli, firefire, mogidi, whynotthetruth, introvert, midollan agarawu23. Let's stay on the topic and not derail it please

Thanks for the shout out.
I'm as miffed as dearpreye as to why the thread was taken down. I was on the verge of replying someone when it became apparent some overzealous MOD took it down.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jul 10, 2015
Mogidi:

I'm as miffed as dearpreye as to why the thread was taken down. I was on the verge of replying someone when it became apparent some overzealous MOD took it down.

I still dey vex at the moment. If only I had a copy if that thread. Bro, me no get this place again ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Mogidi: 9:14pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

I still dey vex at the moment. If only I had a copy if that thread. Bro, me no get this place again ooo

Bros na wa for overzealous MODs.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 10, 2015
Mogidi:

the thread is still open, no rule has been broken here
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 10, 2015
Mogidi:

Bros na wa for overzealous MODs.

They couldn't even give me the chance to have it modified. Truth hurts deeply.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 10, 2015
Candyrain:

Exactly. I stay away from those thread filled with name calling and bashing. I don't drop a dot not to talk of contributing. It's disheartening seeing those things.
what do you have to contibute to the last question Hope@hand asked me?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Mogidi: 9:20pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

They couldn't even give me the chance to have it modified. Truth hurts deeply.

The worst thing is that we don't know the MOD that deleted the thread, so unfair.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Mogidi: 9:21pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
the thread is still open, no rule has been broken here

I meant dearpreye's earlier thread, not this one my dear.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 9:23pm On Jul 10, 2015
Mogidi:

I meant dearpreye's earlier thread, not this one my dear.
ok, what do you have to explain about fiscal federalism
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 10, 2015
Mogidi:

The worst thing is that we don't know the MOD that deleted the thread, so unfair.

We couldn't tell.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by NDPVF(m): 9:27pm On Jul 10, 2015
Thanks bro,
dearpreye:

Something may be wrong somewhere. I just couldn't tell.
Thanks bro,they have rectified it.

But how on Jesus's name,did you create such thread as this,without "Ccing" me?.
Its annoying that you spent almost two pages educating people on the concept of true federalism.

I gave told you before,true federalism is the very last thing North will subscribe to.

That "Triville" of a boy is so annoying.

Anyway,thanks for doing justice to the thread,but this shouldn't have been your battle alone.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
NDPVF:
Thanks bro,Thanks bro,they have rectified it.

But how on Jesus's name,did you create such thread as this,without "Ccing" me?.
Its annoying that you spent almost two pages educating people on the concept of true federalism.

I gave told you before,true federalism is the very last thing North will subscribe to.

That "Triville" of a boy is so annoying.

Anyway,thanks for doing justice to the thread,but this shouldn't have been your battle alone.

Won't happen again. Thanks for the support.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Candyrain(m): 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
what do you have to contibute to the last question Hope@hand asked me?

Is it where he asked you to enlighten the house on how fiscal federalism can kill corruption?
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 10, 2015
Candyrain:

Is it where he asked you to enlighten the house on how fiscal federalism can kill corruption?
yes,
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Mogidi: 9:41pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
ok, what do you have to explain about fiscal federalism

Fiscal federalism look attractive in theory but in practice, especially in a country like Nigeria. The federal govt would still have the upper hand in any fiscal federation.
We don't need fiscal federalism, I'd rather we try "dual federalism" or outright devolution of power to states. Any system that puts the fed govt in charge of disbursing funds is bound to fail.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by pazienza(m): 9:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

would oil not make the Niger delta states lazy? why should the niger delta states be lazy and the other states hardworking?

again to the best of my understanding, states in america do not own resources. people in states own the resources and pay taxes to the government. any person can become a citizen of any state. george w bush was governor of texas which is located in the mid west of us and his blood brother jeb bush was governor of florida which is down south.

Why should you be bothered about Niger delta oil wealth and whether it be controlled by their states or individuals. Isn't this parasitism that you are displaying here. Can't you just face your own region and use whatever you have to develop it? Must you partake of ND crude oil wealth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Mogidi: 9:44pm On Jul 10, 2015
Candyrain:

Fiscal federalism won't kill corruption, I'd like any one with contrary views to explain how it would kill corruption.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Mogidi: 9:46pm On Jul 10, 2015
Devolution of power is the way forward, devolve power to states.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jul 10, 2015
Mogidi:

Fiscal federalism look attractive in theory but in practice, especially in a country like Nigeria. The federal govt would still have the upper hand in any fiscal federation.
We don't need fiscal federalism, I'd rather we try "dual federalism" or outright devolution of power to states. Any system that puts the fed govt in charge of disbursing funds is bound to fail.
I don't understand your *dual federalism* does it mean that the powers will be shared equaly btw the centre and component unit?
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Mogidi: 9:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
I don't understand your *dual federalism* does it mean that the powers will be shared equaly btw the centre and component unit?

Exactly.
Each state would be autonomous within its sphere.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Candyrain(m): 9:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
yes,

Fiscal federalism can't kill corruption. Fiscal federalism just as you stated in one of your post is like having a country within a country. As the case may be corruption can still eat up this *country* within the country if right institutions and policies that will checkmate it are not put in place.

Let's take Rivers state as an example. Practicing fiscal federalism would mean Rivers state get to control their resources and the governor there would act as the president. If proper policies and a terrible leader are not put in place gross mismanagement and embezzlement as we have in Nigeria would still be experienced there.

So fiscal federalism and corruption are two different things entirely and the former can't kill off or get rid of the later. Policies and laws that will be strictly adhered to are what can kill corruption.

Cc: HopeatHand
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by atlwireles: 10:11pm On Jul 10, 2015
Mogidi:

Exactly.
Each state would be autonomous within its sphere.

Do you see the need for some defined limitations to the powers exercised by the states?
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by francizy(m): 10:13pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:

When the fiscal federalism is introduced, that's when we'll know the States heavily dependent on the government at the center. When those states go super broke, they won't wait to be told in order to become innovated and creative thereby creating their own revenue streams...
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Mogidi: 10:21pm On Jul 10, 2015
atlwireles:

Do you see the need for some defined limitations to the powers exercised by the states?

Since we would remain in the same republic, the answer would be yes. "dual federalism" would curtail corruption, the present system where states goes for elephant and unsustainable projects would cease. Waste and corruption starts when governors starts hteir "own projects" rather than finishing the ones of their predecessors.
For example why would a small state like Ekiti spend billions operating an airport when neighbouring states are few miles away? It would greatly reduce waste, you spend what you earn, no more running to Abuja for bailouts. It would become very obvious who the incompetent governors are.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Mogidi: 10:23pm On Jul 10, 2015
francizy:

When the fiscal federalism is introduced, that's when we'll know the States heavily dependent on the government at the center. When those states go super broke, they won't wait to be told in order to become innovated and creative thereby creating their own revenue streams...

Except the state belong to the ruling party.
Buhari didn't ask Aregbese what he did with his allocation and most of the states owing belong to APC.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Akeredolu Condemns Murder Of Afenifere Leader’s Daughter, Orders Investigation / Gunmen Kill Four Persons, Burn Houses, Barns In Plateau / FIRS’ N228bn Budget Surpasses NASS, Judiciary, Many States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.