Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,525 members, 7,837,009 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! (12644 Views)

Yoruba Youths Warn Northerners: Stop Being Economical With Truth, R / Patience And Goodluck Jonathan On A Date In New Jersey / Is Nigeria Still Towing The Path Of Democracy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 10, 2015
Leopardd:
See that one thinking about staying without oil.

Chineke Nna men.

Oil go kill some people oh.

I couldn't believe what I saw there.

No thinking whatsoever. Just depend on oil.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 1:34pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

You're already beginning to sound angry and condescending.

i am not angry, i am just a bit tired of reading simple solutions to problems that are much bigger. we need to develope frameworks that will get our people out of the poverty the country is in. we do not need to be fighting amongst ourselves on resources that if properly managed will not just serve us but also our unborn grand kids.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

i am not angry, i am just a bit tired of reading simple solutions to problems that are much bigger. we need to develope frameworks that will get our people out of the poverty the country is in. we do not need to be fighting amongst ourselves on resources that if properly managed will not just serve us but also our unborn grand kids.

We shall be bigger mess if we don't change this current system. That's the simple truth. It hasn't worked for over 30 years. It will never work.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by OJUcrook: 1:36pm On Jul 10, 2015
Without True Federalism and Resource Control, Nigeria will forever remain stagnant

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by OJUcrook: 1:39pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

We shall be bigger mess if we don't change this current system. That's the simple truth. It hasn't worked for over 30 years. It will never work.
WORD !
unfortunately, how many exponent of True Federalism do we have among our politician today in Nigeria? Which of the major Political Parties included the restructureing of the Country in their campaign manifesto?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 1:40pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

If you're not from the Niger delta, what profits they make from their oil shouldn't be your business. You're thinking in this line because we're used to decades of free oil money.

Texts and other oil rich US states manage THEIR oil resources and pay taxes to the centre. In fact the US is so developed the President runs mainly only foreign policy and national defense.

Every state must bring their coins to the table. Those who have tin, gold and other resources must bring their profits to the centre to ballance this injustice. It's indeed a bigger picture.

texans own rights to oil wells. the state does not own oil wells. the state receives taxes from individuals who own the oil wells as well as the federal government. what does it take to become a texan. move to texas. what does it take to become the owner of an oil well. buy land that has oil underneath it. any american can own an oil well in texas. this is not the same situation as your proposed true federalism, or is it?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

is true federalism the answer? why should any state use oil revenues to pay salaries and run itself? you say oil revenue is not enough to develop nigeria, but there are countries without oil that are developed.

the situation of LG in jigawa and lagos may be a genuine issue, but is it true federalism that solves it? is the no other way for the ND states to earn revenue apart from direct sales of crude oil?
True federalism as practised by the USA is the best, there are some states in America that have Oil like Texas but they don't get revenue as much as New york. Oil is a curse and blessing, it made states to become lazy and couldn't look out for where they have comparative advantage over other states and develop along it.

ND has oil and Gas deposit, they also have good tourism spot, Fisheries and others which can yield billions of naira if properly harnessed.

The FG just need to stregthen the anti corruption agencies which will keep the kleptomanic governors in check if the want to feast on their state treasury

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 10, 2015
OJUcrook:
WORD !
unfortunately, how many exponent of True Federalism do we have among our politician today in Nigeria? Which of the major Political Parties included the restructureing of the Country in their campaign manifesto?

It's not difficult to know. Most of these folks never had personal vision and convictions before they dabbled into politics. They never had any beliefs.

They know our problems and the attendant solutions but their inability to see tomorrow aand plan ahead - something most blacks find hard to do, have refused to solve our problems.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 1:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

i am in support of a change of the current system. i believe most nigerians are also in support of a change. what i do not agree with you on is your idea that true federalism will some how make every state start to develop its own resources and then nigeria will become prosperous and we will all become magically rich and successful.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by southWASTE: 1:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
Agbaletu:
It is unfortunate that all the states look up to the centre to survive. My state was once known for Cocoa but i must confess to you all the Cocoa plantations are dead. I see no reason why a state cannot exploit its natural resources except FG approves such. Why should the Niger-Delta Oil be used to develop the rest of the country and even pay civil servants' salaries? This is not good enough!
This is the more reason why i like the Igbo people for asking for Biafra. I wish they will get it someday. It is high time we the chidren of Oduduwa started thinking in that line. I don't think things should continue this way.
You are right! imagine even osun state i love so much can't even pay her salary. The governor is just sitting idle and waiting for benevolence from oil proceeds to pay just salary of its worker

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by atlwireles: 1:44pm On Jul 10, 2015
When people talk about federalism in Nigeria most talk about oil. The issue I believe is about representative democracy. Yes money is part of it, but the central theme must be a government of the people, by the people and for the people. From Education, Justice, Commerce to religion etc, people MUST have the right to govern themselves as they see fit. In a multi tribal space like Nigeria, One size cannot fit all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

i am in support of a change of the current system. i believe most nigerians are also in support of a change. what i do not agree with you on is your idea that true federalism will some how make every state start to develop its own resources and then nigeria will become prosperous and we will all become magically rich and successful.

Actually oil has never built nations; people do.

True Federalism will solve a whole lot of our problems.

But we can only truly be rich if we manufacture things. Period.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jul 10, 2015
atlwireles:
When people talk about federalism in Nigeria most talk about oil. The issue I believe is about representative democracy. Yes money is part of it, but the central theme must be a government of the people, by the people and for the people. From Education, Justice, Commerce to religion etc, people MUST have the right to govern themselves as they see fit. In a multiple tribal space like Nigeria, One size cannot fit all.

Even if I hadn't hailed from the ND, I would still have supported true federalism. The current system just won't work.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 1:47pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
True federalism as practised by the USA is the best, there are some states in America that have Oil like Texas but they don't get revenue as much as New york. Oil is a curse and blessing, it made states to become lazy and couldn't look out for where they have comparative advantage over other states and develop along it.

ND has oil and Gas deposit, they also have good tourism spot, Fisheries and others which can yield billions of naira if properly harnessed.

The FG just need to stregthen the anti corruption agencies which will keep the kleptomanic governors in check if the want to feast on their state treasury
would oil not make the Niger delta states lazy? why should the niger delta states be lazy and the other states hardworking?

again to the best of my understanding, states in america do not own resources. people in states own the resources and pay taxes to the government. any person can become a citizen of any state. george w bush was governor of texas which is located in the mid west of us and his blood brother jeb bush was governor of florida which is down south.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jul 10, 2015
yang:
Just divide this zoo. We no want again.

In saner places, that dwarf el-rufai will be in an Underground prison cell hoping that Amechi does not rape him at Night.

They just steal from Biafra and take the money to give Jigawa State.

Then SUle Lamido and his ugly wives will use it to buy 22 cars and they call it One Zoo.

Tell me what is my business with a Baboon from Jigawa?? I cant even drink beer on the streets there.

Just Baboons and Monkeys Everywhere.

I believe the Biafra agitation is also anchored along these deceptions and injustices. If we restructure the system, I believe the agitation MAY discontinue. I may be wrong.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Raymondgabriel(m): 1:48pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

what if true federalism only leads to a civil war that ends with the last man standing laying claim to the oil wealth? why do you believe that true federalism will force states to start making use of their own resources? how does true federalism stop oil from being free money? the only issue after true federalism may be ownership of the free oil money.

are there no other ways to encourage states to develop resources within their states. why not stop all states including the niger delta states from receiving monthly stipends? why not make laws that ensure states are run solely on taxes? all oil revenue can then be used for national development projects and public goods such as roads and electricity dams for irrigation.

must any state recieve funding from oil?
Bro! First of all you need to understand what true federalism is! Federalism is a system of govt where the federal govt shares governmental powers with other component units(i.e state & L.govts). Two important features in US federalism that are not in Nigerian fed. are:- (1) states control all the resources within its territory(both airport, seaport, police etc ) and then pay allocation to the central govt. (2) issue of secession:- any state in US is free to seceed from the union which is not the case in Nigeria! In fact, it was the 'imediate cause' of Biafran war! I stand to be corrected!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 1:50pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Actually oil has never built nations; people do.

True Federalism will solve a whole lot of our problems.

But we can only truly be rich if we manufacture things. Period.

so why are you talking about true federalism rather than industrialisation. what country on earth has used true federalism as a means for industrialisation.

can't you see that is idea of true federalism only acts to divide nigerians as a people? what you should be doing is opening threads on issues that are preventing our industrial revolution and then seeking for contributions on how we can collectively go about building our nation.

i failed to notice that you said true federalism will solve a lot of our problems. my issue is how does in solve our issues. think of nigeria as a country and not just the ND. how would it force other people to make use of their resources.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Leopardd(m): 1:51pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

is true federalism the answer? why should any state use oil revenues to pay salaries and run itself? you say oil revenue is not enough to develop nigeria, but there are countries without oil that are developed.

the situation of LG in jigawa and lagos may be a genuine issue, but is it true federalism that solves it? is the no other way for the ND states to earn revenue apart from direct sales of crude oil?

Must u drag oil with ND?
See in Nassarawa they are digging up gold and selling in black market, they even did it that the little children there fell ill becus of the crude method they use, but the make millions out of it.
The FG was petitioned, but they blocked the letter from reaching to office of the President.
But they explore for gold and other precious stones, which they sell and share among themselves, but their eyes are fixated on oil in Owaza, ASA and Awo mmamma, Egbema, Ohaji and Eleme.

Even Satan weeps for the injustice in Nigeria.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

so why are you talking about true federalism rather than industrialisation. what country on earth has used true federalism as a means for industrialisation.

can't you see that is idea of true federalism only acts to divide nigerians as a people? what you should be doing is opening threads on issues that are preventing our industrial revolution and then seeking for contributions on how we can collectively go about building our nation.

Nigeria has never been truly United, and it's all due to the perceived injustice occasioned by a lopsided, suffocating system. We all know that salient truth.

I still hold my stand that taking the resources of one place to develop another will only cause more tensions as the case is today. And how can we think of industrialisation when these latent issues have not need addressed?

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by kaboninc(m): 1:55pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

Please, just stop arguing like this nau.

You talk of the industrialization in the US, what kind of system of government were they practicing and still do?

You talk of the Chinese industrialization, industrialization across Europe - in the UK, Germany? Was it a factor of the system of government?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 10, 2015
kaboninc:

Please, just stop arguing like this nau.

You talk of the industrialization in the US, what kind of system of government were they practicing and still do?

You talk of the Chinese industrialization, industrialization across Europe - in the UK, Germany? Was it a factor of the system of government?

Thank you. That's the point I've been trying to say since- the system of government plays a very vital role in the whole cycle of progress and development.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by OJUcrook: 1:59pm On Jul 10, 2015
Southwest:
You are right! imagine even osun state i love so much can't even pay her salary. The governor is just sitting idle and waiting for benevolence from oil proceeds to pay just salary of its worker
on the contrary, the Governor of Osun is not just sitting idle. Osun state argueably has the largest deposit of Gold in Nigeria but the system of Government we operate makes the issueance of minning licence a prerogative of the federal government under the exclusive list.

If we practise true federalism and resource country, a state like Osun wouldnt need to depend on the federal government for its fiscal responsibilities. Revenues can be generated from the tapping of solid minerals in the state

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jul 10, 2015
OJUcrook:
on the contrary, the Governor of Osun is not just sitting idle. Osun state argueably has the largest deposit of Gold in Nigeria but the system of Government we operate makes the issueance of minning licence a prerogative of the federal government under the exclusive list.

If we practise true federalism and resource country, a state like Osun wouldnt need to depend on the federal government for its fiscal responsibilitie. Revenues can be generated from the tapping solid minerals in the state

Thanks a million times.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 10, 2015
Agbaletu:
It is unfortunate that all the states look up to the centre to survive. My state was once known for Cocoa but i must confess to you all the Cocoa plantations are dead. I see no reason why a state cannot exploit its natural resources except FG approves such. Why should the Niger-Delta Oil be used to develop the rest of the country and even pay civil servants' salaries? This is not good enough!
This is the more reason why i like the Igbo people for asking for Biafra. I wish they will get it someday. It is high time we the chidren of Oduduwa started thinking in that line. I don't think things should continue this way.

It's the biggest fraud ever known to mortal man. And that's what's responsible for all the crises and aviation's within the system. Period!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by southWASTE: 2:06pm On Jul 10, 2015
OJUcrook:

If we practise true federalism and resource country, a state like Osun wouldnt need to depend on the federal government for its fiscal responsibilities. Revenues can be generated from the tapping of solid minerals in the state
who is afraid of true federalism?, ditto resource control?

what about other states without resources, yet don't owe?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 2:08pm On Jul 10, 2015
Leopardd:

Must u drag oil with ND?
See in Nassarawa they are digging up gold and selling in black market, they even did it that the little children there fell ill becus of the crude method they use, but the make millions out of it.
The FG was petitioned, but they blocked the letter from reaching to office of the President.
But they explore for gold and other precious stones, which they sell and share among themselves, but their eyes are fixated on oil in Owaza, ASA and Awo mmamma, Egbema, Ohaji and Eleme.

Even Satan weeps for the injustice in Nigeria.

this is not about dragging anything. nigeria is a country, we all use one currency. for businesses to succeed, the general population needs to be economically empowered. my direct question is how is true federalism going to reduce poverty in the north. all this talk of true federalism is based on greed and greed that is based on foolishness. dangote lost how much as a result of the recent fall in the value of the naira. so far the ND still sticks with the naira after true federalism, majority of their people will still be poor. this is the point i am trying to get across.

warren buffett is rich because the united states is rich. you heard dangote saying the other day that he does not have a house anywhere else but nigeria, why do you think that is? if more nigerians can afford to build houses, don't you realise that will make him richer.

why do you think western europe decided to use a unified currency (euro). why do you think china is becoming the largest economy in the world today, why do you think america has the largest economy on earth? because these countries have a market for their finished goods. this countries have populations that have the population to purchase their finished goods.

true federalism will only concentrate money in a few hands and nothing else. if the rest of the country is poor, who will the niger deltans produce goods to sell to. how will the economy of the niger delta grow.

i have had conversations with people from saudi arabia and kuwait. this are rich people but they privately complain about the situation in their country. they want to live in europe just like the rest of us. is this what you want for the niger delta?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by HopeAtHand: 2:09pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Every incident has a surface cause and a root cause. The root cause is what made the surface cause to remain. I'll be naive to rule out the place of visionary and focused leadership on the progress of a people.

In fact it was this foolishness of our leaders that converted our federal system into a unitary one. The primitive thieves saw the free money in the unitary system and then pounced on it. They won't let go without a fight.

It spells disaster for any nation so big and complex as ours to run a unitary system of government. It will never work, and NO amount of deception, payers will solve it. It's a structural issue.

For the purpose of clarity, what model do you propose, state or region-based true federalism.

i believe the true federalism will not solve Nigerias problems if good sincerel leaders are not elected into positions of trust either as governor, premier or head of govt institutions and parastatals.

The reason is the corrupt system Nigeria is now stuck in..I will use Niger Delta as a microcosm..Since the inception of democracy, there has been the renewed call for more attention to be given to the ND because it is responsible for Nigerias wealth and the effects of oil exploration..So 13% derivation was added to ND states, NDDC was created and also in 2007 Niger delta ministry.

When you look at all these, you realise that some effort was made to ease the plight of the Niger delta but we've had leaders who have looted the region and neglected their people..they have no excuses to give, it was them against their people.

Giving such leaders increased revenue courtesy of true federalism will not make them change their ways..i would love to see a country with strong institutions devoid of such industrial-scale corruption first before i clamour for true federalism.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by atlwireles: 2:11pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

would oil not make the Niger delta states lazy? why should the niger delta states be lazy and the other states hardworking?

again to the best of my understanding, states in america do not own resources. people in states own the resources and pay taxes to the government. any person can become a citizen of any state. george w bush was governor of texas which is located in the mid west of us and his blood brother jeb bush was governor of florida which is down south.

Sometimes people should make use of their brains, I really mean it. At what period in Nigerian history did oil become an issue in the Nigerdelta?

The people of Nigerdelta, were farmers, fishermen and traders since this geographical space called Nigeria was named. Even when oil became the central source of income, the Nigerdeltans still kept Nigeria as a top rubber and palm oil and Timber exporter. Cocoa and groundnut were already disappearing from farms across Nigeria. All thru the 80s with the coming of new industries in places like Sapele(ogorode power plant) Warri(refinery and DSC), PH with all the oil service industry. 80% of Niger deltans still remained Rubber and palm oil farmers, Fishermen, Ogogoro producers and traders.

Because people demand a fair share of what is taken from their backward, you want to call them lazy? Please tell me what you are doing for them, that makes you more hardworking, than a man or woman in the Niger delta? angry angry angry angry

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by amaben2020(m): 2:11pm On Jul 10, 2015
Viktor1983:
Following.
I'm wishing that only matured minds will come to discuss this thread. I know it will never happen though.
can they prove me wrong?
from your statement, I don't think you're One
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by kaboninc(m): 2:12pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Thank you. That's the point I've been trying to say since- the system of government plays a very vital role in the whole cycle of progress and development.

Of course, it does play a role in how an economy grows and develop.

I would have loved for a gradual transition to full resource control. There are some states in Nigeria that have so much abject poverty lurking around every square area within the state. They have a strong potential for growth but these potentials are very much untapped.

Problem now is: how trustworthy, credible, transparent can those saddle to begin harness and harvest to untapped potentials in the State?

Trilville, you can help here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 10, 2015
kaboninc:

Of course, it does play a role in how an economy grows and develop.

I would have loved for a gradual transition to full resource control. There are some states in Nigeria that have so much abject poverty lurking around every square area within the state. They have a strong potential for growth but these potentials are very much untapped.

Problem now is: how trustworthy, credible, transparent can those saddle to begin harness and harvest to untapped potentials in the State?

Trilville, you can help here.

I also support gradual introduction of true federalism. Maybe 10 or so years. That should give states enough time to think, explore and develop their own resources. That's the only way Nigeria can grow.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 2:17pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Nigeria has never been truly United, and it's all due to the perceived injustice occasioned by a lopsided, suffocating system. We all know that salient truth.

I still hold my stand that taking the resources of one place to develop another will only cause more tensions as the case is today. And how can we think of industrialisation when these latent issues have not need addressed?

you are making sense on the aspect of injustice. on the aspect of unity, the rich are united on plundering nigeria. they only divide with issues such as true federalism to confuse while they continue their looting spree.

if your thread was on improving the living conditions and welbeing of Niger deltans, i would have been your loudest supporter. but your thread seems to be about dividing the country i love so much, and i am tired of all this divisive arguments that lead to no good for any of us.

back to the issue of developing the niger delta, are there other ways of developing the niger delta apart from true federalism. would fighting corruption help. would direct intervention such as the building of more refineries and power plants aid in developing the region? would the enforcing all oil companies to move their head quarters to the niger delta aid in improving tax revenue to the states? i am sure there are other ways the ND can be improved on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Treat People With Gunshot Wounds, Accident Victims Before Police Report-El Rufai / Tambuwal To Chair Northern Conference On Restructuring / 2023 Presidency: Southern Governors’ Position May Alter PDP’s Zoning Arrangement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.