Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,355 members, 7,836,457 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! (12639 Views)

Yoruba Youths Warn Northerners: Stop Being Economical With Truth, R / Patience And Goodluck Jonathan On A Date In New Jersey / Is Nigeria Still Towing The Path Of Democracy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

you are making sense on the aspect of injustice. on the aspect of unity, the rich are united on plundering nigeria. they only divide with issues such as true federalism to confuse while they continue their looting spree.

if your thread was on improving the living conditions and welbeing of Niger deltans, i would have been your loudest supporter. but your thread seems to be about dividing the country i love so much, and i am tired of all this divisive arguments that lead to no good for any of us.

back to the issue of developing the niger delta, are there other ways of developing the niger delta apart from true federalism. would fighting corruption help. would direct intervention such as the building of more refineries and power plants aid in developing the region? would the enforcing all oil companies to move their head quarters to the niger delta aid in improving tax revenue to the states? i am sure there are other ways the ND can be improved on.

How can you improve the wellbeing of Nigerians when you keep supporting the same unworkable model that has impoverished them in the first place?

I'm yet to meet a Nigerian more patriotic than me. It's just that my definition of patriotism is totally different from the conventional one. And I'm more loyal to truth than country. Till we change this system, no moving forward. That we love a people doesn't necessarily men we must live together. That's the bitter truth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Humorclux: 2:21pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

this is not about dragging anything. nigeria is a country, we all use one currency. for businesses to succeed, the general population needs to be economically empowered. my direct question is how is true federalism going to reduce poverty in the north. all this talk of true federalism is based on greed and greed that is based on foolishness. dangote lost how much as a result of the recent fall in the value of the naira. so far the ND still sticks with the naira after true federalism, majority of their people will still be poor. this is the point i am trying to get across.

warren buffett is rich because the united states is rich. you heard dangote saying the other day that he does not have a house anywhere else but nigeria, why do you think that is? if more nigerians can afford to build houses, don't you realise that will make him richer.

why do you think western europe decided to use a unified currency (euro). why do you think china is becoming the largest economy in the world today, why do you think america has the largest economy on earth? because these countries have a market for their finished goods. this countries have populations that have the population to purchase their finished goods.

true federalism will only concentrate money in a few hands and nothing else. if the rest of the country is poor, who will the niger deltans produce goods to sell to. how will the economy of the niger delta grow.

i have had conversations with people from saudi arabia and kuwait. this are rich people but they privately complain about the situation in their country. they want to live in europe just like the rest of us. is this what you want for the niger delta?
You have a point.
The north has alot of natural resource and some of them are being exploited without the goverment knowledge, They can also survive with their agriculture( you and i know that).
The south west have lagos, Ogun, while i don't have much knowledge abouth the other states in the south west.
The South East have every thing to survive in a true fedralism. From Human Resources to Natural Resources, they have it.

The South , they have abudant of crude which they can make good use of, take a look at Rivers, Delta, Akwa ibom and Calabar you'll see that they have the tendancy to survive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by stevecantrell: 2:23pm On Jul 10, 2015
true federalism will only be attained when individual states are finally allowed to INDEPENDENTLY mine their SOLID MINERALS. We've been sitting on $50 to 100 trillion in solid Min. while shouting "OIL ! OIL!! " over the years..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 2:23pm On Jul 10, 2015
atlwireles:

Sometimes people should make use of their brains, I really mean it. At what period in Nigerian history did oil become an issue in the Nigerdelta?

The people of Nigerdelta, were farmers, fishermen and traders since this geographical space called Nigeria was named. Even when oil became the central source of income, the Nigerdeltans still kept Nigeria as a top rubber and palm oil and Timber exporter. Cocoa and groundnut were already disappearing from farms across Nigeria. All thru the 80s with the coming of new industries in places like Sapele(ogorode power plant) Warri(refinery and DSC), PH with all the oil service industry. 80% of Niger deltans still remained Rubber and palm oil farmers, Fishermen, Ogogoro producers and traders.

Because people demand a fair share of what is taken from their backward, you want to call them lazy? Please tell me what you are doing for them, that makes you more hardworking, than a man or woman in the Niger delta? angry angry angry angry

it was not my intention to call any nigerian lazy, we are a great people and the niger deltans are particularly hardworking and creative people. my point is that the niger delta also does not need the sale crude oil as its primary source of funding. there are many developed countries without a drop of crude oil.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 10, 2015
Humorclux:

You have a point.
The north has alot of natural resource and some of them are being exploited without the goverment knowledge, They can also survive with their agriculture( you and i know that).
The south west have lagos, Ogun, while i don't have much knowledge abouth the other states in the south west.
The South East have every thing to survive in a true fedralism. From Human Resources to Natural Resources, they have it.

The South , they have abudant of crude which they can make good use of, take a look at Rivers, Delta, Akwa ibom and Calabar you'll see that they have the tendancy to survive

And then only the resources from one region are being used to distribute to and shared amongst all. What could be more unjust than that? It's treasonable to me if I don't curse this injustice.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 10, 2015
stevecantrell:
true federalism will only be attained when individual states are finally allowed to INDEPENDENTLY mine their SOLID MINERALS. We've been sitting on $50 to 100 trillion in solid Min. while shouting "OIL ! OIL!! " over the years..

We've been telling them since 22 BC! Our problems aren't spiritual.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by OJUcrook: 2:28pm On Jul 10, 2015
Southwest:
who is afraid of true federalism?, ditto resource control?

what about other states without resources, yet don't owe?
The politicians in Nigeria are the one against True Federalism.

The palavar of some state Governors owing workers salary was as a result of the financial recklessness of the pasat administarion, heck, even the FG at sometime owed its own workers salary too.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

would oil not make the Niger delta states lazy? why should the niger delta states be lazy and the other states hardworking?

again to the best of my understanding, states in america do not own resources. people in states own the resources and pay taxes to the government. any person can become a citizen of any state. george w bush was governor of texas which is located in the mid west of us and his blood brother jeb bush was governor of florida which is down south.
Did the groundnut made the North lazy, Did Cocoa made the SW lazy, Did Palm Oil made the East lazy? The ND are suffering from Oil curse because the amount of environment degradation there willl take the next 100 years to clean.

Oil is a free gift of nature to the ND just as Solid Minerals are to the North who fail to exploit it

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Viktor1983(m): 2:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
amaben2020:

from your statement, I don't think you're One

when Dearpreye created a similar thread like this, the thread was deleted by the mods, just because it involved a lot of hate words and name calling ,
I wrote what I wrote so it can have some psychological effects on anyone who might think the thread about war. its just my own Lil way of sustaining the discussion.
Are u not enjoying how civil the thread is ?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by OJUcrook: 2:30pm On Jul 10, 2015
stevecantrell:
may your days be long

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 10, 2015
Viktor1983:

when Dearpreye created a similar thread like this, the thread was deleted by the mods, just because it involved a lot of hate words and name calling ,
I wrote what I wrote so it can have some psychological effects on anyone who might think the thread about war. its just my own Lil way of sustaining the discussion.
Are u not enjoying how civil the thread is ?

Seriously, that thread was penned with the highest inspiration and love I've felt in weeks, and it didn't involve name calling or hate words. Nigeria simply Hayes truth but someone's gonna tell them the truth.

I pleaded I be given the opportunity to modify where I broke the rules, but I'm yet to get a reply. What impudence!

And I wrote it on the move; I have no copy of it. Very painful.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 2:35pm On Jul 10, 2015
Humorclux:

You have a point.

if the niger delta has all the oil wealth and the rest of the country is poor, the general population in the niger delta will still be poor. what creates wealth for the masses is business and what creates the need for business is having a market to sell goods to. why nigeria is a poor country is because our leaders are pennywise and pound foolish. they steal money to create businesses but have no one to use their services. if you've been to Abuja, you'll realise the large number of houses that are empty with no one living in them.

i give up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by OJUcrook: 2:35pm On Jul 10, 2015
HopeAtHand:

For the purpose of clarity, what model do you propose, state or region-based true federalism.

i believe the true federalism will not solve Nigerias problems if good sincerel leaders are not elected into positions of trust either as governor, premier or head of govt institutions and parastatals.

The reason is the corrupt system Nigeria is now stuck in..I will use Niger Delta as a microcosm..Since the inception of democracy, there has been the renewed call for more attention to be given to the ND because it is responsible for Nigerias wealth and the effects of oil exploration..So 13% derivation was added to ND states, NDDC was created and also in 2007 Niger delta ministry.

When you look at all these, you realise that some effort was made to ease the plight of the Niger delta but we've had leaders who have looted the region and neglected their people..they have no excuses to give, it was them against their people.

Giving such leaders increased revenue courtesy of true federalism will not make them change their ways..i would love to see a country with strong institutions devoid of such industrial-scale corruption first before i clamour for true federalism.
you make sense. I partially agree with you
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

if the niger delta has all the oil wealth and the rest of the country is poor, the general population in the niger delta will still be poor. what creates wealth for the masses is business and what creates the need for business is having a market to sell goods to. why nigeria is a poor country is because our leaders are pennywise and pound foolish. they steal money to create businesses but have no one to use their services. if you've been to Abuja, you'll realise the large number of houses that are empty with no one living in them.

i give up.

Don't give up just yet. We all know you have a valid point there. We are simply saying let's give it a try.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 2:38pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
Did the groundnut made the North lazy, Did Cocoa made the SW lazy, Did Palm Oil made the East lazy? The ND are suffering from Oil curse because the amount of environment degradation there willl take the next 100 years to clean.

Oil is a free gift of nature to the ND just as Solid Minerals are to the North who fail to exploit it

is the oil properly been exploited by the ND? why don't we have refineries? must we sell crude oil? can't we sell petrol and diesel? is the answer every region going on its own or nigeria developing a plan to properly harness its resources? no nigerian is lazy by the way.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Raymondgabriel(m): 2:42pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

you are making sense on the aspect of injustice. on the aspect of unity, the rich are united on plundering nigeria. they only divide with issues such as true federalism to confuse while they continue their looting spree.

if your thread was on improving the living conditions and welbeing of Niger deltans, i would have been your loudest supporter. but your thread seems to be about dividing the country i love so much, and i am tired of all this divisive arguments that lead to no good for any of us.

back to the issue of developing the niger delta, are there other ways of developing the niger delta apart from true federalism. would fighting corruption help. would direct intervention such as the building of more refineries and power plants aid in developing the region? would the enforcing all oil companies to move their head quarters to the niger delta aid in improving tax revenue to the states? i am sure there are other ways the ND can be improved on.
[b]
trillville:

[/b]
trillville:

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:43pm On Jul 10, 2015
There was no problem with our federalism, or it was over looked, till after the loss of Jonathan.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by atlwireles: 2:45pm On Jul 10, 2015
HopeAtHand:

For the purpose of clarity, what model do you propose, state or region-based true federalism.

i believe the true federalism will not solve Nigerias problems if good sincerel leaders are not elected into positions of trust either as governor, premier or head of govt institutions and parastatals.

The reason is the corrupt system Nigeria is now stuck in..I will use Niger Delta as a microcosm..Since the inception of democracy, there has been the renewed call for more attention to be given to the ND because it is responsible for Nigerias wealth and the effects of oil exploration..So 13% derivation was added to ND states, NDDC was created and also in 2007 Niger delta ministry.

When you look at all these, you realise that some effort was made to ease the plight of the Niger delta but we've had leaders who have looted the region and neglected their people..they have no excuses to give, it was them against their people.

Giving such leaders increased revenue courtesy of true federalism will not make them change their ways..i would love to see a country with strong institutions devoid of such industrial-scale corruption first before i clamour for true federalism.

Only dishonest people refuse to see the improvement the 13% derivation has made in the Niger delta. Please show us the miracles, the 87% you kept produced in Nigeria.

Give people back control over their lives, don't hide behind institutions. Nigeria central government kept almost 100% of the oil revenues between 1975 -2003, what was the result? The people on the Niger delta, were left with 100% of the problems.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 10, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
There was no problem with our federalism, or it was over looked, till after the loss of Jonathan.

I don't know of others. I've never failed to make this call known on my FB wall. The problems are deeper and bigger than GEJ loss or the victory of PMB.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

is the oil properly been exploited by the ND? why don't we have refineries? must we sell crude oil? can't we sell petrol and diesel? is the answer every region going on its own or nigeria developing a plan to properly harness its resources? no nigerian is lazy by the way.
the skewed federal system we practise today makes it possible for the centre to control everything and the component units to be @ their mercy. Do you know 2 states in the north can pull resources together And build refinery which will go a long way to generate income for them but its only possible if there is true federalism.

We can't stop selling crude oil because some countries prefe refining Their own fuel to tailor with their consumption pattern

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Raymondgabriel(m): 2:51pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

[b]
trillville:

[/b]
trillville:

[b]
trillville:

[b]
trillville:

[/b]
trillville:

[/b]
trillville:

[b]
trillville:

[/b]
trillville:

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:52pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

I don't know of others. I've never failed to make this call known on my FB wall. The problems are deeper and bigger than GEJ loss or the victory of PMB.

It seems you, Bärcanista and your friends no longer say anything about the Lower Niger. Why?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 10, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

It seems you, Bärcanista and your friends no longer say anything about the Lower Niger. Why?

You can't understand us. Never!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Leopardd(m): 2:55pm On Jul 10, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Because they evangelizing about Biafra.
Same thing, u know smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

i give up.
I think you are looking more at the ND oil forgetting that there are other sectors that can give you billions of naira. Examples of states that can survive without oil

Lagos: commerce, service, industry etc

Ogun: industry and agriculture

Anambra and Abia: commerce and industry

Ebonyi: agriculture

Kano: industry, commerce

Cross River/ akwa ibom: Tourism

Taraba, Benue, kogi, plateau: Agriculture, Tourism,
Sokoto, Katsina, osun Ekiti, Kaduna: solid minerals, Agriculture, commerce

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

please don't derail, stay on the topic

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 10, 2015
I think you are getting this all wrong. One of the reasons why states are "ppor" is systematic. The system we currently practice is flawed and a problem itself. For instance, you have a situation where no state is allowed to shore up resources from mining the minerals resting underneath them all because the FG has Exclusive right. They have no choice but to wait for "Oyel" from the Niger Delta. When the oyel money comes, they share 70% among their friends and cronies and cry that they aren't getting enough from the FG. Cititizens can't ask questions because if they do, the Govs will say the allocation isn't enough. They will shift attention to the FG. It is very difficult to hold them responsible. All attention will be thr FG.

What will happen if we have an arrangement where 50% of the resources earnings will go to the center, 25% to the communities producing these resources and another 25% to states producing the resources? What will happen if the FG use a certain percent of its earnings on intervention program targetted at "poorer" states or states that runs into crises? What will happen when the Govs and Council Chairmen know that there is no FG to point accusing fingers to should there be complaint of failure from citizens? What will happen when citizens know that they are to owe their states(and themselves) responsible for any mismanagement? Won't these create platform for progress and development?

See what is happening....Governors that shared N3trillion from the ECA (apart from their statutory allocation) instead of giving account of their stewardship are crying of empty treasury. If there is fiscal federalism will their be room for any complain such as this? Wouldn't they have given account?

Now tell me, don't you think fiscal federalism will solve many of our problems?

trillville:

this is not about dragging anything. nigeria is a country, we all use one currency. for businesses to succeed, the general population needs to be economically empowered. my direct question is how is true federalism going to reduce poverty in the north. all this talk of true federalism is based on greed and greed that is based on foolishness. dangote lost how much as a result of the recent fall in the value of the naira. so far the ND still sticks with the naira after true federalism, majority of their people will still be poor. this is the point i am trying to get across.

warren buffett is rich because the united states is rich. you heard dangote saying the other day that he does not have a house anywhere else but nigeria, why do you think that is? if more nigerians can afford to build houses, don't you realise that will make him richer.

why do you think western europe decided to use a unified currency (euro). why do you think china is becoming the largest economy in the world today, why do you think america has the largest economy on earth? because these countries have a market for their finished goods. this countries have populations that have the population to purchase their finished goods.

true federalism will only concentrate money in a few hands and nothing else. if the rest of the country is poor, who will the niger deltans produce goods to sell to. how will the economy of the niger delta grow.

i have had conversations with people from saudi arabia and kuwait. this are rich people but they privately complain about the situation in their country. they want to live in europe just like the rest of us. is this what you want for the niger delta?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Yujin(m): 3:09pm On Jul 10, 2015
I'll come to this thread later.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 10, 2015
Yujin:
I'll come to this thread later.

You're meaningful contribution will surely be appreciated.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by UncleJudax(m): 3:11pm On Jul 10, 2015
Agbaletu:
It is unfortunate that all the states look up to the centre to survive. My state was once known for Cocoa but i must confess to you all the Cocoa plantations are dead. I see no reason why a state cannot exploit its natural resources except FG approves such. Why should the Niger-Delta Oil be used to develop the rest of the country and even pay civil servants' salaries? This is not good enough!
This is the more reason why i like the Igbo people for asking for Biafra. I wish they will get it someday. It is high time we the chidren of Oduduwa started thinking in that line. I don't think things should continue this way.
Unfortunately, our politicians love the status quo. Lack of accountability is the major motivation for folks in government today.

We have got to put our feet down, and demand that the current system be changed.

Else, in 100years from now, we will all be gone anyway, the situation would still be bleak, if not worse.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by HopeAtHand: 3:11pm On Jul 10, 2015
atlwireles:

Only dishonest people refuse to see the improvement the 13% derivation has made in the Niger delta. Please show the miracles, the 87% you kept produced in Nigeria.

Give people back control over their lives, don't hide behind institutions. Nigeria central government kept almost 100% of the oil revenues between 1975 -2003, what was the result? The people on the Niger delta, were left with 100% of the problems.

Are u unaware that democracy returned to Nigeria in 1999..A military administrator should ask Abacha or Babangida for increased oil percentage for NDelta so they accuse him of treason and hang him?

If you are sincere then your analysis should be relative to the specific period in which had control of our destiny.We asked for 50% but got 13%.our leaders pillaged our resources.From Ibori to Uduaghan, Alams to Sylva and Dickson, Odili to Amaechi and Wike(surely), the stories are the same..combine the loot of these few men and it wil run into billions of dollars in a region begging for attention.

the way things are now, increased derivation percentage will amount to more money to loot.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jul 10, 2015
UncleJudax:

Unfortunately, our politicians love the status quo. Lack of accountability is the major motivation for folks in government today.

We have got to put our feet down, and demand that the current system be changed.

Else, in 100years from, we will be gone anyway, the situation would still be bleak, if not worse.

Simple. The system is a hindrance to the development of the people. A Nation shouldn't an albatross to the growth of its own people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Unpaid Salaries: FG Yet To Receive Fresh Bailout Request From States-the Punch / PDP Closes All Forms Of Campaigns Midnight Yesterday. / Sanusi For President In 2015?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.