Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,576 members, 7,837,180 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! (12649 Views)

Yoruba Youths Warn Northerners: Stop Being Economical With Truth, R / Patience And Goodluck Jonathan On A Date In New Jersey / Is Nigeria Still Towing The Path Of Democracy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Yujin(m): 3:18pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Seriously, that thread was penned with the highest inspiration and love I've felt in weeks, and it didn't involve name calling or hate words. Nigeria simply Hayes truth but someone's gonna tell them the truth.

I pleaded I be given the opportunity to modify where I broke the rules, but I'm yet to get a reply. What impudence!

And I wrote it on the move; I have no copy of it. Very painful.
When I say death to this Nigeria many fail to understand. What inspires such statements is the fact that Nigerians hate truth. I say again: death to anyone who hates truth. Death to this Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by atlwireles: 3:18pm On Jul 10, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Are u unaware that democracy returned to Nigeria in 1999..A military administrator should ask Abacha or Babangida for increased oil percentage for NDelta so they accuse him of treason and hang him?

If you are sincere then your analysis should be relative to the specific period in which had control of our destiny.We asked for 50% but got 13%.our leaders pillaged our resources.From Ibori to Uduaghan, Alams to Sylva and Dickson, Odili to Amaechi and Wike(surely), the stories are the same..combine the loot of these few men and it wil run into billions of dollars in a region begging for attention.

the way things are now, increased derivation percentage will amount to more money to loot.

Ask Gowon why he allowed derivation, ask Murtala why he cut it and Obj, why he abolished it, then introduced the land use decree. Please spare me your crap.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 10, 2015
Yujin:

When I say death to this Nigeria many fail to understand. What inspires such statements is the fact that Nigerians hate truth. I say again: death to anyone who hates truth. Death to this Nigeria.

We just change the system and most of our issues will go away. Do we have that courage or will? I very much doubt that.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by HopeAtHand: 3:23pm On Jul 10, 2015
atlwireles:

Ask Gowon why he allowed derivation, ask Murtala why he cut it and Obj, why he abolished it, then introduced the land use decree. Please Spare me your crap.

first, start by going to your Delta brother Nzeogwu grave, pour libations, wake his evil spirit and him why he overthrew the system of govt that benefited us most..When he answers correctly, i will travel to Jos to see Gowon.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by atlwireles: 3:23pm On Jul 10, 2015
HopeAtHand:

first, start by going to your Delta brother Nzeogwu grave, pour libations, wake his evil spirit and him why he overthrew the system of govt that benefited us most..When he answers correctly, i will travel to Jos to see Gowon.

Kid, get off this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by trillville(m): 3:27pm On Jul 10, 2015
barcanista:
I think you are getting this all wrong. One of the reasons why states are "ppor" is systematic. The system we currently practice is flawed and a problem itself. For instance, you have a situation where no state is allowed to shore up resources from mining the minerals resting underneath them all because the FG has Exclusive right. They have no choice but to wait for "Oyel" from the Niger Delta. When the oyel money comes, they share 70% among their friends and cronies and cry that they aren't getting enough from the FG. Cititizens can't ask questions because if they do, the Govs will say the allocation isn't enough. They will shift attention to the FG. It is very difficult to hold them responsible. All attention will be thr FG.

What will happen if we have an arrangement where 50% of the resources earnings will go to the center, 25% to the communities producing these resources and another 25% to states producing the resources? What will happen if the FG use a certain percent of its earnings on intervention program targetted at "poorer" states or states that runs into crises? What will happen when the Govs and Council Chairmen know that there is no FG to point accusing fingers to should there be complaint of failure from citizens? What will happen when citizens know that they are to owe their states(and themselves) responsible for any mismanagement? Won't these create platform for progress and development?

See what is happening....Governors that shared N3trillion from the ECA (apart from their statutory allocation) instead of giving account of their stewardship are crying of empty treasury. If there is fiscal federalism will their be room for any complain such as this? Wouldn't they have given account?

Now tell me, don't you think fiscal federalism will solve many of our problems?

If this view you have just written down is the common view of every person in support of true federalism, then there is nothing wrong with this view. My issue is that the poorer States can not be simply left to fend for themselves at this stage while the ND consumes 100 percent of the oil revenue. I am in support of your view.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by HopeAtHand: 3:31pm On Jul 10, 2015
atlwireles:

Kid, get off this thread.

good to know i replied your question the way you asked.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:37pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

You can't understand us. Never!
You don't even understand yourselves.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by atlwireles: 3:40pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

If this view you have just written down is the common view of every person in support of true federalism, then there is nothing wrong with this view. My issue is that the poorer States can not be simply left to fend for themselves at this stage while the ND consumes 100 percent of the oil revenue. I am in support of your view.

There are no poorer states in Nigeria, what we have are states, where their revenues are off the books. Take Zamfara for an example, billions of Naira in their lead mining never came into any government account. Most Nigerians never knew zamfara was exporting lead ore, till the lead poisoning saga made headlines in the country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by UncleJudax(m): 3:56pm On Jul 10, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Are u unaware that democracy returned to Nigeria in 1999..A military administrator should ask Abacha or Babangida for increased oil percentage for NDelta so they accuse him of treason and hang him?

If you are sincere then your analysis should be relative to the specific period in which had control of our destiny.We asked for 50% but got 13%.our leaders pillaged our resources.From Ibori to Uduaghan, Alams to Sylva and Dickson, Odili to Amaechi and Wike(surely), the stories are the same..combine the loot of these few men and it wil run into billions of dollars in a region begging for attention.

the way things are now, increased derivation percentage will amount to more money to loot.
I sure agree with you. These leaders are not in a hurry to repent, and use these billions for the betterment of their people.

This is where the need for strong institutions, especially the justice system, comes into play.

The sorry and compromised state of our Judiciary has seen many corruption charges thrown out the window. And we know why.

As a result, we have a situation where these politicians keep telling us that they are not looting our collective resources, at the same time we are not witnessing any major development.

It is a fact that Ibori for instance, would have been in the Senate or something, if not for the UK.

True federalism will have to be accompanied by robust and effective institutions for it to be a success. No doubt!
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by HopeAtHand: 4:10pm On Jul 10, 2015
UncleJudax:

I sure agree with you. These leaders are not in a hurry to repent, and use these billions for the betterment of their people.

This is where the need for strong institutions, especially the justice system, comes into play.

The sorry and compromised state of our Judiciary has seen many corruption charges thrown out the window. And we know why.

As a result, we have a situation where these politicians keep telling us that they are not looting our collective resources, at the same time we are not witnessing any major development.

It is a fact that Ibori for instance, would have been in the Senate or something, if not for the UK.

True federalism will have to be accompanied by robust and effective institutions for it to be a success. No doubt!

this is a reply for barcanista..i wanted to reply his post but i just left it..

this evil and corrupt system will ensure the regional/state organs, judicial system and other regional institutions will be used by the executive as the governor/premier wishes..the state police becomes a private army . the governor would have more leverage to continue in established corruption as technically he is answerable to no one anywhere.

infact what we have will be like mini countries in one...we as a people have not evolved our institutions to the level where true federalism will thrive efficiently..

we better tell ourselves the truth that we intend use true federalism as a medium to escape from Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by zendy: 4:12pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:
lets have a conversation. what do you hope nigeria will achieve by practising true federalism?

what are your primary concerns with nigeria as a nation? poverty?

do you believe that true federalism will resolve poverty in nigeria? why? and how?

other countries with oil that are mono-cultural such as venezuela and iran also suffer from the dutch disease of oil dependency. they do not have a multi-ethnic population so why do you propose true federalism as a cure for nigeria?

why not a system were all crude profits are used for infrastructural development as opposed the payment of salaries?

do you think the oil revenue is not enough to develop the whole of nigeria if used prudently?

dearpreye please answer me.

No I will answer you. The period Nigeria knew relative prosperity was when there was regionalism. That was when there was equity and fairness in Governance. Nobody could dominate another because the regions retained a large degree of autonomy as well as the larger share of what accrued from their lands. The unitary system being practiced now, besides being a deliberate ploy of the Northerners to keep a stranglehold on Nigeria, is also a conduit pipe of wastage and corruption. We do not need Governors in Nigeria or an all powerful president. Ojukwu declared Biafra because Gowon introduced the unitary system of Government which destroyed Nigeria. The major reason for all the agitation for secession is because of the norths refusal to agree to true federalism or con-federalism just because they are fixated on Oil

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 10, 2015
zendy:

No I will answer you. The period Nigeria knew relative prosperity was when there was regionalism. That was when there was equity and fairness in Governance. Nobody could dominate another because the regions retained a large degree of autonomy as well as the larger share of what accrued from their lands. The unitary system being practiced now, besides being a deliberate ploy of the Northerners to keep a stranglehold on Nigeria, is also a conduit pipe of wastage and corruption. We do not need Governors in Nigeria or an all powerful president. Ojukwu declared Biafra because Gowon introduced the unitary system of Government which destroyed Nigeria. The major reason for all the agitation for secession is because of the births refusal to agree to true federalism or con-federalism just because they are fixated on Oil

These are the injustices that ate causing the tension and rift within the society! You can't be shouting ONE NIGERIA while pressing down on my neck. It has never worked and never will.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Candyrain(m): 4:57pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

what if true federalism only leads to a civil war that ends with the last man standing laying claim to the oil wealth? why do you believe that true federalism will force states to start making use of their own resources? how does true federalism stop oil from being free money? the only issue after true federalism may be ownership of the free oil money.

are there no other ways to encourage states to develop resources within their states. why not stop all states including the niger delta states from receiving monthly stipends? why not make laws that ensure states are run solely on taxes? all oil revenue can then be used for national development projects and public goods such as roads and electricity dams for irrigation.

must any state recieve funding from oil?

Why focus only on the oil from the Niger Delta to be used for national development? What happens to all untapped natural resources in other states across the country such as gold, tin, bauxite etc? Policies should be made that enforce all states to harness the resources they have. This will increase their IGR for their use and since there won't be handouts from the centre they'll be prudent in utilizing it for it's citizen. This is what true federalism is.

And if I'm to go by what you are saying then not just ND oil but all natural resources across the country should be harnessed by the FG and used for national development. It won't be fair to exploit the ND oil alone and use it to build the nation while other natural resources in other states are left for the states to use.

Cc: dearpreye

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by HopeAtHand: 4:58pm On Jul 10, 2015
zendy:

No I will answer you. The period Nigeria knew relative prosperity was when there was regionalism. That was when there was equity and fairness in Governance. Nobody could dominate another because the regions retained a large degree of autonomy as well as the larger share of what accrued from their lands. The unitary system being practiced now, besides being a deliberate ploy of the Northerners to keep a stranglehold on Nigeria, is also a conduit pipe of wastage and corruption. We do not need Governors in Nigeria or an all powerful president. Ojukwu declared Biafra because Gowon introduced the unitary system of Government which destroyed Nigeria. The major reason for all the agitation for secession is because of the births refusal to agree to true federalism or con-federalism just because they are fixated on Oil

Ojukwu declared Biafra because Gowen introduced a unitary system of govt that desrroyed Nigeria

Absolute rubbish from you..Ironsi or Gowon who introduced Unitary system of govt?.

Even though you intend to make a subjective analysis, a little truth here and there helps smoothen it up.

Igbos scuttled the regional system, igbos introduced unitary system. Period..but im not putting the whole blame on them..Northerners also played a huge part in this mess and our fellow Niger Deltans with little they get from the FG havent done much either.

We should develop agriculture and mining sectors to supplement oil and also fight corruption like a people hanging on a thread for survival..We get these right and we are ready as a people.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jul 10, 2015
Candyrain:

Why focus only on the oil from the Niger Delta to be used for national development? What happens to all untapped natural resources in other states across the country such as gold, tin, bauxite etc? Policies should be made that enforce all states to harness the resources they have. This will increase their IGR for their use and since there won't be handouts from the centre they'll be prudent in utilizing it for it's citizen. This is what true federalism is.

And if I'm to go by what you are saying then not just ND oil but all natural resources across the country should be harnessed by the FG and used for national development. It won't be fair to exploit the ND oil alone and use it to build the nation while other natural resources in other states are left for the states to use.

Cc: dearpreye

My dear, thanks for that reply to him. I'm yet to understand how Nigeria will achieve meaningful development given this unfair and evil abuse of the resources of our region while other regions have their resources untapped. We've been telling them for decades that this system is fraudulent, parasitic and must be jettisoned so a more equitable and balanced system be put in its place.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Candyrain(m): 5:09pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

texans own rights to oil wells. the state does not own oil wells. the state receives taxes from individuals who own the oil wells as well as the federal government. what does it take to become a texan. move to texas. what does it take to become the owner of an oil well. buy land that has oil underneath it. any american can own an oil well in texas. this is not the same situation as your proposed true federalism, or is it?

It's the same actually. Whoever it is, be it a Yankee or anyone else, that owns an oil well in Texas, the fact remains that Texas govt make their money from them through tax, they pay a certain percentage to the centre and then keep the rest for itself. The owners of the oil wells ain't paying their tax directly to the centre neither is the centre collecting all the proceeds and then sharing it to all the 50 states or used for national development.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by zendy: 5:10pm On Jul 10, 2015
HopeAtHand:

Ojukwu declared Biafra because Gowen introduced a unitary system of govt that desrroyed Nigeria

Absolute rubbish from you..Ironsi or Gowon who introduced Unitary system of govt?.

Even though you intend to make a subjective analysis, a little truth here and there helps smoothen it up.

Igbos scuttled the regional system, igbos introduced unitary system. Period..but im not putting the whole blame on them..Northerners also played a huge part in this mess and our fellow Niger Deltans with little they get from the FG havent done much either.

We should develop agriculture and mining sectors to supplement oil and also fight corruption like a people hanging on a thread for survival..We get these right and we are ready as a people.

I disagree. Ironsi only promulgated a decree which centralised Government. The 4 regions were still in existence as at the time Ironsi was killed. It was Gowon who abrogated the regions and created States. Gowon and Ojukwu had already reached an agreement where Nigeria would be run as a confederation in the Aburi agreement. The faliure of Gowon to live up to the agreement he signed and the subsequent creation of states in contravention of the Aburi accord directly led to Ojukwu declaring Biafra and the war that followed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 10, 2015
HopeAtHand:

this is a reply for barcanista..i wanted to reply his post but i just left it..

this evil and corrupt system will ensure the regional/state organs, judicial system and other regional institutions will be used by the executive as the governor/premier wishes..the state police becomes a private army . the governor would have more leverage to continue in established corruption as technically he is answerable to no one anywhere.

infact what we have will be like mini countries in one...we as a people have not evolved our institutions to the level where true federalism will thrive efficiently..

we better tell ourselves the truth that we intend use true federalism as a medium to escape from Nigeria.
I take exception to your comment, if your fear is that fiscal federalism will bring about the break up of this country then you are living in stone age. Fiscal federalism will make the union stronger with the minorities having a strong voice and will not fear domination. Fiscal federalism is akin to having a *country* Inside a Country
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
I take exception to your comment, if your fear is that fiscal federalism will bring about the break up of this country then you are living in stone age. Fiscal federalism will make the union stronger with the minorities having a strong voice and will not fear domination. Fiscal federalism is akin to having a *country* Inside a Country

I also agree with you. All these agitation and rancour are traceable to this suffocating and cheating system. Any system that allows people to control their resources to a very large extent, will only foster unity and trust amongst it's people.

BTW,why are Nigerians always scared of separation? Are their lives totally dependent on another? I smell injustice there. Someone is certainly robbing another blind.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by atlwireles: 5:29pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:

I think his comment was very telling, he is afraid of strong state's executives, he is afraid of state judiciary, he is afraid of state police and he is afraid of resource control by the states . But above all, he is afraid of voters making the right decision over who/whom they elect to lead them. In other words, he likes what we have now.That was a very telling comment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Candyrain(m): 5:34pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

so why are you talking about true federalism rather than industrialisation. what country on earth has used true federalism as a means for industrialisation.

can't you see that is idea of true federalism only acts to divide nigerians as a people? what you should be doing is opening threads on issues that are preventing our industrial revolution and then seeking for contributions on how we can collectively go about building our nation.

i failed to notice that you said true federalism will solve a lot of our problems. my issue is how does in solve our issues. think of nigeria as a country and not just the ND. how would it force other people to make use of their resources.

One thing you should understand bro is that a unitary system of government will always overwhelm the centre just as we have in Nigeria because it's trying to take care of all the federating units alone but some will feel neglected and then there will be the talk to neglect. You said something somewhere that will true federalism stop the ND citizens from been lazy and ensure development? The answer is NO. Even with true federalism a state with so much wealth and resources can still be underdeveloped. It's left to the citizen to elect into office who can properly manage their wealth and use it for it's citizen. True federalism will always bring about industrialization only with a responsible Head (Governor).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 5:35pm On Jul 10, 2015
Candyrain:

One thing you should understand bro is that a unitary system of government will always overwhelm the centre just as we have in Nigeria because it's trying to take care of all the federating units alone but some will feel neglected and then there will be the talk to neglect. You said something somewhere that will true federalism stop the ND citizens from been lazy and ensure development? The answer is NO. Even with true federalism a state with so much wealth and resources can still be underdeveloped. It's left to the citizen to elect into office who can properly manage their wealth and use it for it's citizen. True federalism will always bring about industrialization only with a responsible Head (Governor).

Let me hope he sees your argument!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Candyrain(m): 5:51pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

it was not my intention to call any nigerian lazy, we are a great people and the niger deltans are particularly hardworking and creative people. my point is that the niger delta also does not need the sale crude oil as its primary source of funding. there are many developed countries without a drop of crude oil.

Dubai is what it is today because of it's oil. If the ND decides that they only want to use their oil as it's primary source of funding then it's their luck, it's their decision to make. Every region should be allowed to develop at their own pace with what they have.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 10, 2015
Candyrain:

Dubai is what it is today because of it's oil. If the ND decides that they only want to use their oil as it's primary source of funding then it's their luck, it's their decision to make. Every region should be allowed to develop at their own pace with what they have.

Quite straightforward!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jul 10, 2015
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by HopeAtHand: 6:52pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:

Im for fiscal federalism when the institutionalised corruption we have in Nigeria has been greatly reduced or eradicated else it amounts to furthering the system to its worst limits.

if you say fiscal federalism will kill corruption, please enlighten the house.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 10, 2015
trillville:

You see no time did the ND request 100% revenue from oil derivation. In fact, the proposal of ND in 2005 Confab was 25% for up to 5yeats and then 50% thereafter. My position has always remain that the state governments should not be the ones to control all the revenues that goes to their respective states. The communities must control at least 25% of these resources. We must also consider our brothers in other states that are not privileged enough so that nobody feel bad. The FG must set aside a certain percent (15% at least) of her earnings to serve as intervention to these states. We can always find a way to get out of our present misery.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Candyrain(m): 7:14pm On Jul 10, 2015
dearpreye:

Quite straightforward!

That's it bro. Let's just hope that the right thing will be done and those who can enforce it will emerge. I'm very certain there won't be agitation for Biafra republic if we are practicing true federalism. It's well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Candyrain(m): 7:17pm On Jul 10, 2015
ECOTERRORS:

I've been following ur post since the inception of this thread and I'm very impressed at your submission. This is a nice piece.
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by yang(m): 7:22pm On Jul 10, 2015
Re: Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth! by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 10, 2015
Candyrain:

That's it bro. Let's just hope that the right thing will be done and those who can enforce it will emerge. I'm very certain there won't be agitation for Biafra republic if we are practicing true federalism. It's well.

Of course sir. All the agitation is caused by this primitive injustice in the system. Period.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu: I Will Consult Lagosians Before Deciding On A Second Term / FCT Minister Mohamed Renames Abuja’s Maitama As Goodluck Jonathan District / Neo-colonialism In Nigeria, Why Nigeria Is Rich, But Many Nigerians Are Poor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.