Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,762 members, 7,813,531 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

Showcasing Igbo culture - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Showcasing Igbo culture (64971 Views)

The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. / Ekele (greetings, Well-wishing, Compliments, Regard, Salutation) In Igbo Culture / Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by CrazyMan(m): 9:50pm On Mar 20, 2009
**osisi:

Below, I have compiled a few Igbo (Ibo) names and their meanings. The list is by no means comprehensive. I welcome suggestions and additions. Please see my compilation to learn more about the languages and cultures of Nigerian ethnic groups, including the Ijaws, Igbos, Hausas, and Yorubas.

Historical Background: The Igbo calendar has an eight-market-day cycle instead of the regular seven-day week. In the Igbo language, a week is known as an "izu." There are four market days in Igbo tradition, Nkwo, Eke, Orie (or Oye) and Afo. Each must pass twice to make up an izu or one week.[/b]A child may be named to indicate the market day on which (s)he was born: Nweke (m), Okeke (m), Okereke (m) or Mgbeke (f) ; Nwafor (m), Okafor (m), or Mgbafor (f); Nwankwo (m), Okonkwo (m), Okoronkwo (m) or Mgbonkwo (f); and Nworie (m), Okorie (m), Okoghe (m) or Mgborie (f).
Nice List you got there Osisi.

If I should be permitted to add a few more Ibo names and their meanings so yorubas and other tribes on this forum who might wish to give their children ibo names might benefit from it.

[b]Kelechi:
Thank God

Obinna: Father’s heart

Ezinne: Good mother

Ijeoma: Safe journey

Chidiebere: God is merciful

Chioma: God is good

Ngozi: Blessing

Nkechi: God’s own

Nkem: Mine

Uzochukwu: God’s way

Ikenna: Father’s strength

Ikechukwu: God’s strength.

Ogechi: God’s time

Onyekachi: Who pass God or who is greater than God?

Ebere: Mercy.

Chibuzor: God is the way.

Uchenna: Father’s mind

Uchechukwu: God’s mind.

Onyukwu: Big person

Ndidi: Patience

Onyebuchi: Who is like God?

Ada: Daughter

Eziwanyi: Good wife.

These are the ones I can remember for now; if you have any names you would wish to know the meaning, you can post it and I might help you out.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Nobody: 9:56pm On Mar 20, 2009
I just love the name Ada . . . hopefully my first child would be a girl, she's got a name already.

Crazykid more names pls.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by DeReloaded: 9:59pm On Mar 20, 2009
Poor alagolo aka "Mama Ada"
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Hauwa1: 10:56pm On Mar 20, 2009
Dereloaded, i thot it was you that uncle davidylan wanted o.

DeReloaded aka mama Ada.

i will show you how to cook a great snail soup for him. the way to his heart not forgeting ata in his soup is very important.

cheesy
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by presido1: 11:04pm On Mar 20, 2009
Hauwa Stingy tongue tongue tongue tongue
U berra get me ma ogbono soup b4 i go vex. cheesy cheesy
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 11:26pm On Mar 20, 2009
I already told TOH she's destined for Igboland.
mama Tochi grin
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by iReport: 2:50am On Mar 21, 2009
I already told TOH she's destined for Igboland.
mama Tochi
Don't y'all have enough drama queens already in your flock?. you want more? will you marry her for your younger brother?. Say the truth.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by tpia: 2:56am On Mar 21, 2009
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by iReport: 3:01am On Mar 21, 2009
Elumelu is a very arrogant piece of shit. Don't care he is a banking p diddy in Nigeria. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by iReport: 3:04am On Mar 21, 2009
I love me this igbo brother. Whoooooooom, he's foineeeeeeeeeeeeeee
[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF8ThV5Cmyc&hl=en&fs=1">[/flash]
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by tpia: 3:07am On Mar 21, 2009
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 3:18am On Mar 21, 2009
iReport:

I love me this igbo brother. Whoooooooom, he's foineeeeeeeeeeeeeee
[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF8ThV5Cmyc&hl=en&fs=1">[/flash]

I play that CD in my car all the time

My best song after Bianule is the Yoruba Igbo mix
Egbega.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by iReport: 3:27am On Mar 21, 2009
Another one with onyeka onwenu. I can't find the yoruigbo song on youtube.

[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78cC1dNDucg&hl=en&fs=1">[/flash]
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by DeReloaded: 3:54am On Mar 21, 2009
*Hauwa*:

Dereloaded, i thot it was you that uncle davidylan wanted o.

DeReloaded aka mama Ada.

i will show you how to cook a great snail soup for him. the way to his heart not forgeting ata in his soup is very important.

cheesy

*waka*  tongue No. He belongs to alagolo. Why else do you think she's been making all those baby threads?  She's giving us hints!  cheesy

Osisi, berra give Funmi someone from your family even if it's a local welder so she can stop crying up and down  wink
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Hauwa1: 4:10am On Mar 21, 2009
uncle can still have 2 eh even in rustic village  lipsrsealed shocked, there are many 2 bedrooms. one cooking okra soup (you) the other making oha soup. he likes oxtail and snail so remember that dear. don't let him suffer too much asking epi how to make simple oxtail stew  grin

[s]God! i wonder how that house would be like [/s]  grin

iya Ada/Nne Ada  cheesy
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Hauwa1: 4:13am On Mar 21, 2009
Nwoke Presido, you eh, continue to ask for ofe ogbono instead of you to go pay dowry. na so you tight reach shocked grin
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Nobody: 4:25am On Mar 21, 2009
I'll kill dafidi first then her shocked shocked grin

Plz na, no be because of him I dey make baby threads o. Dnt give the guy any ideas.
I just love kids tongue

Hauwa, e be like say you dey take style ask for application to be his 3rd wife? grin grin
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by presido1: 5:59am On Mar 21, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

Hauwa, e be like say you dey take style ask for application to be his 3rd wife? grin grin
Werrin concern u naw? Hauwa baby abeg no mind am u will the first and the only queen in ma kingdom.

*Hauwa*:

Nwoke Presido, you eh, continue to ask for ofe ogbono instead of you to go pay dowry. na so you tight reach shocked grin
nwanyi Hauwam wat if i come pay dowry finish u no come saby arrange okra, Ura and ogbono soup nko? U go refund me? grin grin grin
Infact ka anyi nwee two aside naw.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by iReport: 7:26am On Mar 21, 2009
Watch ibo boy and ms kelechi keep it real. Best hiphop song ever made in Africa.
[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YmNYMwsLNc&hl=en&fs=1">[/flash]
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by CrazyMan(m): 9:37am On Mar 21, 2009
I just love the name Ada . . . hopefully my first child would be a girl, she's got a name already.
Ada is a nice name; most Ibo parents prefet giving it to their first daughters; so it would be great for you to name your daughter Ada.
I'm even considering between Ada and Nkechi which one to choose.

Crazykid more names pls
Just tell me the ones you wish to know and I shall help you out. wink
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by CrazyMan(m): 11:48am On Mar 21, 2009
David, I've managed to compile a few more names at your request; hope you'll find them useful.

Kanayochukwu: begging or to ask God for something

Esomchi: To believe in God

Dimkpa Brave

Ojiofor Clear: conscience

Izuchukwu: God’s consent

Chidera; means Destiny

Enyinnaya: Father’s friend

Ezinwa: Child as a gift.

Isioma: good luck.

Obioma: Good Hearted

Amara: Grace

Nnanna: Grandfather

Nnenna: Grandmother

Ifunanya: Love

Obiuto: Happines -

Beluchi: to respect God

Uzoamaka, Uzodimma, Uzoma and Ijeoma: All mean good or safe journey.

If you have any names you wish you know the meaning post it here wink
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by iReport: 6:33pm On Mar 21, 2009
Translate these igbo names please:

Munachi

Imoni

chimamanda

kosi

kemdilim

Ameze

ifesinachi

ikomi

Mobi

Obasi

Rotanna

Rihanna cheesy

Queenisha
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Nobody: 6:40pm On Mar 21, 2009
Thanks crazykid, Nnenna is another one i really like. Chineke . . . i'm looking for an igbo chic to marry o.  cheesy
But Nne means grandmother urgh!

Anymore cute igbo names pls?
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by asha80(m): 8:06pm On Mar 21, 2009
Munachi-Me and God

Imoni-

chimamanda-My God will not fail me

kosi-Short form of Kosisochukwu which means How one followed God

kemdilim-My own remains with me I might be wrong thoughAmeze-

ifesinachi-The thing is from God

ikomi-ASk Ikomi cheesy

Mobi-short form of Amaobi which means Obi's compound or Do you know my heart depending on pronouncation

Obasi-God

Rotanna-Can also be Lotanna ,Chetanna which means Remeber God

Rihanna- cheesy

Queenisha-Ask Osisi lipsrsealed
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by presido1: 8:53pm On Mar 21, 2009
Asha=talkative grin grin
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by asha80(m): 9:10pm On Mar 21, 2009
@presido1

grin cheesy
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Hauwa1: 1:41am On Mar 22, 2009
eyaa, presido it is only mama that always add that to my name. i miss Nne oooo bu bu bu bu bu bu cry she's say Nwam all the time. Now you have added endearment to the Hauwa eyaaa  cheesy wetin man no go do for food sef  grin

as far as food is concern, no problem at all at all in that dept  grin no matter the kind grin

Ebony, me as third kini eh shocked grin
wo ma fi ounje pa okunrin yen fun iwo ati TOH  grin just one week inside my hut he will gather roundabout for back of him head grin
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 9:08am On Mar 22, 2009
@Hauwa

I read ur post about paying your dowry. As far as I understand that means your still tied to a culture, and invariably your not totally available for marriage, until this criteria is met, in other words your not absolutely available, since the village, clan or persons that should receive this dowry either in cash or services might decide they don't want it, which leaves the payer and you in a difficult position, cause you as a person have not been freed by your social superiors, or owners in terms of your village clan or culture. So I suggest.

Why don't you set yourself free, put yourself in the market, so that any suitor like Pres wont have to undergo the pain of having to pay the bride price - in this case a dowry - and there is a likely chance it might be rejected. Maybe because your family or village do not like his face (I don't either, so I won't blame them), or they don't like the village he comes from (Since his from Ani Ocha), or any other reason we can't forsee here.

So Ikomi says to Hauwa set youself free, go and pay your own dowry, in other that Pres would not need to go through a third party to have your hand in marriage, all he needs will be your consent and yours alone.  cheesy

How does that grab you.  wink

Think about it.  cheesy
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 22, 2009
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by grafikdon: 1:30pm On Mar 22, 2009
For those looking for cute Igbo names, here ya go

Zikora (Unisex) - Show the People

Chika (Unisex but more common among the females)  - God is great/test

Ola (Female) - Precious, pretty stuff, Ornament (gold/bronze/diamond. . . )

Zinachidi (Unisex) - Show that God exists

Somadina (Male/Female) - I will not exist alone (More like "No man is an Island"wink

Akunna (Female)- Father's wealth

Chetanna(Female) - Remember the father (ie God)

Enuma (Female)- Haven knows

Obinna (Male) grin grin - Will of the father (or you can say Will of God) Same as Uchechi/Uchenna/Uchechukwu

Chioma (Female) - Good fortune/luck.

Chisom (Female) - God is with me

Now for the not so cute or plain 'weird 'Igbo names . . .

Ogbenyeanu (female) - Out of the reach of the poor man  shocked shocked shocked (This mus be Abia/Imo state name  grin *hides from ***osis people  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed)

Ekwutosi (female) (probably the ugliest Igbo name when pronounced) - Do not ridicule. . .

Mgbeke(female) - Born on Eke market day. Unfortunately some silly people changed it to Bush village woman grin grin grin

Uchichi/Ochichi (male) - Midnight/Darkness

Meremereninukwampetenazu
- Hypocrisy  grin grin
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by iReport: 8:52pm On Mar 22, 2009
Meremereninukwampetenazu
WTF?. Who gives her child a name like that?. It won't even enter the name space for first names in America when filling official forms.

Another weird igbo name is that of the Nollywood actor: Ofiafuluagu. wink wink

Zikora (Unisex) - Show the People
I never knew Zikora is igbo name until I met the designer guy in MD. I thought the name is Italian.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by MrCrackles(m): 8:55pm On Mar 22, 2009
iReport:

Another weird igbo name is that of the Nollywood actor: Ofiafuluagu. wink wink

shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Excited Masquerade Poses With Catholic Priest After Meeting Him On The Road.PICS / The Afar People (redone) / Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.