Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,827 members, 7,813,745 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:29 PM

Showcasing Igbo culture - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Showcasing Igbo culture (64974 Views)

The Importance Attached To The 2nd Child(orlu) In Igbo Culture. / Ekele (greetings, Well-wishing, Compliments, Regard, Salutation) In Igbo Culture / Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by iReport: 8:59pm On Mar 18, 2009
what do you mean by gay eyes?
please stop insulting the man
He's happily married
would you like someone saying such about your man?
Cant you see his bloodshot sexy eyes?. Don't they look gay to you? Because somebody is married doesn't mean he is not gay. He could be one and i don't know how you are so sure about it when you don't even know him.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by asha80(m): 9:08pm On Mar 18, 2009
Who you that osisi does not know him?Nigerians and i too know.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 12:29am On Mar 19, 2009
Tribute to the late Chief Oliver de coque
Rest in peace Nwoke oma

"[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZnyFVK_Ag0&hl=en&fs=1"><[/flash]
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 12:33am On Mar 19, 2009
Tribute to Chief Osita Osadebe

Rest in the bossom of our Lord,Nwoke di nma

[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiZozFgBoVw&hl=en&fs=1"><[/flash]
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by OgidiBoy(m): 12:40am On Mar 19, 2009
My Igbo brothers and sisters pls what is the name of a high chieftaincy title they give an important women in society? Osisi here deserve one for starting this thread. I've been enjoying all the youtube clips and pictures, keep it coming my people.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 1:26am On Mar 19, 2009
No no no no no no Osisi, if its a joke i think u've gone too far.

How can u come to my house take my picture and put it up on the internet.

Because u gave me one hand does not in any way justify ur actions.  angry
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Nobody: 1:27am On Mar 19, 2009
IGBO KWENU kiss kiss tongue
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 1:39am On Mar 19, 2009
OgidiBoy:

My Igbo brothers and sisters pls what is the name of a high chieftaincy title they give an important women in society? Osisi here deserve one for starting this thread. I've been enjoying all the youtube clips and pictures, keep it coming my people.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww
thanks a million.
after listening to Osondi Owendi by Osadebe I actually cried.
I can't believe he's gone
These songs just took me back to all my trips with Ekene dili Chukwu,The young shall grow and Osondu buses for long vacation especially to Northern Nigeria as a kid.
I'm watching the clips with my children and they're loving them too.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Hauwa1: 3:05am On Mar 19, 2009
i love watching my parents dancing to Osadebe and Coque's song. where i dey, i didn't know that they are gone cry
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 11:44am On Mar 19, 2009
OgidiBoy:

So invariably what ur saying is dat we should give Osisi title for cutting and pasting. Then what would we call her Cut and Paster 1 of Ala Igbo. ehhhhhnnnnn OgidiBoy? angry

Osisi come to me jare let me give u better title. Mrs Mu. wink

Hauwa how now, your face dey shine oooohhhhhh.  cheesy

Where is tpia and Aloy, we dont hear from them anymore. Have they settled? I think they should let us know whats going on. angry
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 4:55pm On Mar 19, 2009
Ikomi:

So invariably what ur saying is dat we should give Osisi title for cutting and pasting. Then what would we call her Cut and Paster 1 of Ala Igbo. ehhhhhnnnnn OgidiBoy? angry

Hauwa how now, your face dey shine oooohhhhhh.  cheesy

Where is tpia and Aloy, we dont hear from them anymore. Have they settled? I think they should let us know whats going on. angry

look at this okada hopper  grin
who dash you mrs?
Hauwa won't even look your way
I already warned her against your type.
Omoge you heard me ba ?
any man wearing bathroom slippers coming down from an okada holding a polythene bag is not God's will for you grin
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Ikomi(m): 6:58pm On Mar 19, 2009
Look at you, reigning thing. Okada, Ojuelegba to Mushin 10 bucks.

Its guys that ride on Okada that run things, at least in Lagos.

It even made a good song then. [flash=150,150]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0SIPraA1s4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6[/flash]

Osisi wont you let me take you on a ride on my Okada, make correct breeze blow you.  cheesy

Hauwa dont mind her, Okada is the local name, the correct name na bike.  cheesy
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by CrazyMan(m): 9:43pm On Mar 19, 2009
Wao Osisi this is a nice thread; I wondered why I never came across it all this while. That Song Osondi Owendi by osadebe you put there is one of my favourite songs.

Other high life musics from him I love are:

1.Abgalu Aka Na Azo Ani

2. Onye Amamife

3. Ogasi Amaka. (I really love this one)

4. America.

It’s a pity he’s dead; just like olive d’ couque cry cry cry

Do you listen to Oriental Brothers tracks, . . . they’re also nice. cheesy
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by OgidiBoy(m): 3:03am On Mar 20, 2009
Ikomi:

Hauwa how now, your face dey shine oooohhhhhh. cheesy

Ogbuagu!! Lion killer my brother so which title are you suggesting for osisi? I was digging in my old goat skin bag and I found this title for madam osisi, let me know what you people think.

Nwanyi gbue efi 1 of umuahia– The literary translation means a woman that has killed a cow (or caused one to be killed), because cows are expensive in the old days, women who achieve such feat are very much revered. In modern usage, it means a woman of mean.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by AfroCynic: 11:45am On Mar 20, 2009
Hmmn, I wonder if the so called Osu are allowed to take part in all this display of cultural pride!
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by presido1: 12:07pm On Mar 20, 2009
It seems you have something to do with this OSU. Dont let it run you down ok.
You have been following all the Osu thread all over NL.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by AfroCynic: 12:13pm On Mar 20, 2009
presido1:

It seems you have something to do with this OSU. Dont let it run you down ok.
You have been following all the Osu thread all over NL.

Because people like you wanna pretend it doesn't exist!
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by presido1: 12:15pm On Mar 20, 2009
AfroCynic:

Because people like you wanna pretend it doesn't exist!
Are u one?
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by AfroCynic: 12:16pm On Mar 20, 2009
presido1:

Are u one?

See the other thread. smiley
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by presido1: 12:19pm On Mar 20, 2009
AfroCynic:

See the other thread. smiley
nope ansa me here
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by ChinenyeN(m): 12:41pm On Mar 20, 2009
AfroCynic, you questions and thoughts, and whatever else you might like to say in regards to Osu are welcome, but confine them to the Osu thread, please. Do not turn this topic into what it wasn't meant to be. A while back, towards the beginning of this topic, I requested that the topic remain as is (it shouldn't be turned into Igbo vs. Other ethnicity or Igbo vs. Igbo, or random person vs. Igbo, or Igbo vs. Random person, or random person vs. random person. . . etc.). Apparently no one took me seriously. I'll repeat myself.

Leave this topic for showcasing Igbo culture as is, it should not degenerate into what it is not intended for. Thank you.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by AfroCynic: 1:23pm On Mar 20, 2009
ChinenyeN:

AfroCynic, you questions and thoughts, and whatever else you might like to say in regards to Osu are welcome, but confine them to the Osu thread, please. Do not turn this topic into what it wasn't meant to be. A while back, towards the beginning of this topic, I requested that the topic remain as is (it shouldn't be turned into Igbo vs. Other ethnicity or Igbo vs. Igbo, or random person vs. Igbo, or Igbo vs. Random person, or random person vs. random person. . . etc.). Apparently no one took me seriously. I'll repeat myself.

Leave this topic for showcasing Igbo culture as is, it should not degenerate into what it is not intended for. Thank you.

Because it makes you uncomfortable? Well it is a question regarding Igbo culture, though I am not sure it is an aspect of culture worth celebrating,
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by ChinenyeN(m): 2:33pm On Mar 20, 2009
AfroCynic:

Because it makes you uncomfortable? Well it is a question regarding Igbo culture, though I am not sure it is an aspect of culture worth celebrating,
Actually, no. It doesn't make me uncomfortable. Try not to read what's not there, when it comes to my posts. Too many people do that, only to be wrong. What I type is what I mean. Nothing more, nothing less.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 2:46pm On Mar 20, 2009
bu Dele Chinwe Ladejobi-Ukwu

My names can fill up a book. Here are the ones that I remember. I was born in Enugu State in Eastern Nigeria, far away from my father's hometown, Ijebu, in Western Nigeria. So, he named me "Bamidele" (Dele), a Yoruba name, which means "come home with me" (i.e. to the West). My middle name, "Chinwemma" is an Igbo name. I was named after my mother. "Chinwe" means "God owns" and "mma" means beautiful, nice, good, and so on. "Chinwemma" literally translates, "God owns everything beautiful/nice/good." This name may also be translated as "God is beautiful or good." My maternal grandmother named me "Enwelumokwu." My father is a moslem. My moslem name is "Bilikisu" (which I think means "the beloved one"wink. This name is believed to be the name of one of King Solomon's wives. My mother is catholic. My christian name is Dorian. I was born with the placenta, so our Hausa neighbors named me "Meliga" which means, "someone born with clothes on" or "someone born wearing clothes" (maybe that's why I love to shop a lot. I have to stay clothed!!). The list goes on ,

Below, I have compiled a few Igbo (Ibo) names and their meanings. The list is by no means comprehensive. I welcome suggestions and additions. Please see my compilation to learn more about the languages and cultures of Nigerian ethnic groups, including the Ijaws, Igbos, Hausas, and Yorubas.

Historical Background: [b]The Igbo calendar has an eight-market-day cycle instead of the regular seven-day week. In the Igbo language, a week is known as an "izu." There are four market days in Igbo tradition, Nkwo, Eke, Orie (or Oye) and Afo. Each must pass twice to make up an izu or one week.[/b]A child may be named to indicate the market day on which (s)he was born: Nweke (m), Okeke (m), Okereke (m) or Mgbeke (f) ; Nwafor (m), Okafor (m), or Mgbafor (f); Nwankwo (m), Okonkwo (m), Okoronkwo (m) or Mgbonkwo (f); and Nworie (m), Okorie (m), Okoghe (m) or Mgborie (f).

According to oral tradition, there were originally four days total in an "izu". The concept of an eight-day "izu" originated from a wealthy man who had eight sons. He named his sons after the four market days. When they were grown, he allocated a portion of land to each son at separate locations. Since family is very important to Africans, he made his sons promise to keep in touch with one another. The sons decided to use the market days as meeting days and to rotate it among themselves.
http://culture.chiamaka.com/igbonames.html
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 3:09pm On Mar 20, 2009
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by ChinenyeN(m): 3:12pm On Mar 20, 2009
**osisi:

According to oral tradition, there were originally four days total in an "izu". The concept of an eight-day "izu" originated from a wealthy man who had eight sons. He named his sons after the four market days. When they were grown, he allocated a portion of land to each son at separate locations. Since family is very important to Africans, he made his sons promise to keep in touch with one another. The sons decided to use the market days as meeting days and to rotate it among themselves.
http://culture.chiamaka.com/igbonames.html
This is interesting. As far as I know, the market days are a four-day rotation thing. I've not heard of the eight-day-cycle before. We (I'm assuming maybe this applies to Ngwa-Igbo) do though have Afo Ukwu and Afo, but that's only in relation to the size of the actual markets (if I'm remembering correctly), but not the day itself. Both Afo Ukwu and Afo are the same day.

Anyone know where in Igboland do they have the actual eight-day cycle, and how it works?
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by osisi2(f): 3:18pm On Mar 20, 2009
ChinenyeN:

This is interesting. As far as I know, the market days are a four-day rotation thing. I've not heard of the eight-day-cycle before. We (I'm assuming maybe this applies to Ngwa-Igbo) do though have Afo Ukwu and Afo, but that's only in relation to the size of the actual markets (if I'm remembering correctly), but not the day itself. Both Afo Ukwu and Afo are the same day.

Anyone know where in Igboland do they have the actual eight-day cycle, and how it works?

it's a four day market day but traditionally the markets n'azu every 8th day.
I'm sure of that.
In my hometown fo example there's eke market and there's eke ukwu in the next village and each one n'azu every 8th day.
and that's the same in all of Igboland.
The markets have their days every 8th day
I miss my grand mother cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by ChinenyeN(m): 3:30pm On Mar 20, 2009
So there is a rotation from market day to big market day? As in, say, the first four days there is an Eke day and the next four days there is an Eke Ukwu day. Am I understanding correctly?
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by presido1: 3:40pm On Mar 20, 2009
Its 8 days as the writter stated. Eke(eke ukwu), afo(afor ukwu) and so on.
The ukwu's are more secred than the ordinary once in Igbo tradition.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by ChinenyeN(m): 3:51pm On Mar 20, 2009
presido1:

Its 8 days as the writter stated. Eke(eke ukwu), afo(afor ukwu) and so on.
The ukwu's are more secred than the ordinary once in Igbo tradition.
Wow, I truly did not know that. So is there a rotation from from Eke for example to Eke Ukwu (four days later), and then the next four days it's back to Eke?
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by iReport: 8:49pm On Mar 20, 2009
@Osisi, nice onyeka soundtrack.

I didn't know cyril nri is Nigerian. I thought he is Ghananian. Onyeka Ibe is a very good painter and his oil works grace the addison galleries in FL. I don't think he has a full African blend in him because most of his works have European background. Why didn't they feature that igbo guy that battled mayor Gulliani in Ny court over his virgin mary art work ?. I will get his name later.
Re: Showcasing Igbo culture by Hauwa1: 9:09pm On Mar 20, 2009
osisi my sister, i dey hear o. i have told them o, anyone who is waiting for my food and never marry me go wait tire. wether na food for up or food for down, i no dey for chop and go business grin grin grin cheesy

if you jam me dey eat, i might ask you to join me maybe give you some to take home. notice i said maybe. we no marry, and you want come chop my beautiful meals, that no go happen cheesy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Excited Masquerade Poses With Catholic Priest After Meeting Him On The Road.PICS / The Afar People (redone) / Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.