Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (90600 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 08, 2009
*Hauwa*:

am so sorry to hear that, am so sorry. where did it happen? in nigeria? oh!! cry
was the mom force feeding the baby like our mom did?
i read babies should not be force fed.
Yea, sadly, she's being jailed. . . .until they find the autopsy of the baby.
complicated situation undecided

I don't know the real deal. But my mom told me a muddle of it through the phone (crying). . . .but God is good smiley smiley

*Hauwa*:

checked your profile, I'm not seeing anything na
Was going to show you how old he is. . . .but. . . . cheesy
Talking about the one with me ni o
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 2:15am On Apr 09, 2009
Handsome cheesy cheesy kiss
i will have a baby girl for him grin

thanks, u can take it off grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:17am On Apr 09, 2009
grin grin grin grin"
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:28am On Apr 09, 2009
does anyone know how to put youtube video on here?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:40am On Apr 09, 2009
~Sissy~:

be back

does anyone know how to put youtube video on here?
i DO i DO!!
My pleasure to help.

Ok, you ready?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:46am On Apr 09, 2009
1. Go to the embed of the youtube. . . .

2. Copy and past the link in the "post reply" box
for ex:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXW5-JaSP98&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. Now take from the link, the URL that (usually) ends with =1 wink
ex:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXW5-JaSP98&hl=en&fs=1

4. Click on the flask Icon under the B icon (B for bold) . Chane the size to any you want. from 200,200 to any such as 425,355.

[flash=200,200]http://[/flash] ------ > [flash=425,355][/flash]
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 3:16am On Apr 09, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

i DO i DO!!
My pleasure to help.

Ok, you ready?
i know where u learned that. . .
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 3:48am On Apr 09, 2009
@ Ebony I'm really sorry for you lost, my sympathies

yea, when a baby start choking, i think that is a mothers worst nightmare, cox at that moment you head will start spinning, confused on what to do next.

here is usually what i do

when a baby start choking

Give him/her five back blows with the heel of the hand. Lay the baby on top of your arm, with her head lower than her chest. Support baby’s head with your hand around the jaw and under the chest. Rest your arm on your thigh. Give five blows rapidly between the shoulder blades with the heel of your hand. Then turn the baby over.

Turn baby over between your hands. Place your free hand on baby’s back, and sandwich the child between your hands and arms. One hand holds the chest, neck and jaw while the other hand holds the back, neck and head with her face up. Rest this arm on your thigh so her head is lower than her chest.

Chest thrusts. Push on the chest five times with your fingertips on her breastbone. Your fingertips should be one finger-width below an imaginary line between your baby’s nipples. Your hand should come in from the side so that your fingertips run up and down the breastbone.

i also want you to watch this video from the American Heart Association, just to demonstrate more on what i said wink

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFRuiayTt_c[/flash]
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 3:55am On Apr 09, 2009
ebony

yay!!!

thanks baby kiss kiss

i got it grin grin grin yay!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 5:56am On Apr 09, 2009
@ sistawoman

there is nothing to be afraid or scared about. yea, when you had the sex talk with her you probably touched on the body changes too but not as in dept as you would have liked. you probably talked about sex in general like, what is sex, how to avoid getting pregnant, contraception, etc. but not about body changes like breast budding, hair, size, shape etc. Your daughter needs to understand the physical changes that will occur in her body during puberty. talk to her about:

* Body Fat Increases

like how Her body will begin to build up fat in the stomach, buttocks and legs. tell her that this is normal and that it gives her body the curvier shape of a woman!. Also touch on the body self esteem issue. you know most gals these days are deceived into believing that skinny is the new black. talk to her about liking her body, self image. it is very crucial at this early stage so as to build up her self esteem. the early the better.

*How Breasts begin to enlarge,

you know In most girls, puberty is more commonly recognized by breast growth. When her breasts start to develop, tell her that she may notice small, tender lumps under one or both nipples that will get bigger over the next few years. When the breasts first begin to develop, tell her it is not unusual for one breast to be larger than the other. and , as they develop, they will most likely even out before they reach their final shape and size. As her breasts develop, you know she may need a bra. Some girls feel that wearing a bra for the first time is exciting, it is the first step toward becoming a woman! However, some girls feel embarrassed, especially if they are among the first of their friends to need a bra. Be supportive and sensitive to her needs and reactions.

* Body hair

tell her that soft hair will start to grow in her pubic area. and that the hair will eventually become thick and very curly. tell her she also may notice hair under her arms and on her legs. Many girls will question whether or not they should shave this hair. There is no medical reason to shave; it is simply a personal choice. If she decides to shave, be sure to teach her to use warm water and soap, and a clean razor made for women. It is a good idea for her to use her own personal razor or electric shaver and not share one with family members or friends.

*Height and weight

tell her how her arms, legs, hands, and feet may grow faster than the rest of her body. Until the rest of her body catches up, she may feel more clumsy than usual. Typically, a growth spurt precedes the onset of menstruation (her "period"wink.

*Menstruation

Many concerns about puberty center on menstruation. Spend time helping your daughter prepare for her first period. There is no reason for a girl to be surprised by her menarche (first onset of her period), not knowing what is happening or why. Remember, menstruation may begin sooner than you expect. Certainly, once your daughter's breast development has started, the two of you should fully discuss the topic of menstruation. you can go more in dept with the biology on menstruation like why it is needed, what to expect etc. if you want.

* Hips

tell her that her hips will get wider and her waist will get smaller. and that this physical change also contributes to the curvier shape of a woman.

* Skin and hair

inform her that her skin may become more oily, and she will notice that she sweats more. and this is because her glands are growing, too. It is important to teach her to shower or bathe every day to keep her skin clean, and to use a deodorant or antiperspirant to keep odor and wetness under control. Despite her best efforts to keep her face clean, she still may develop pimples or acne. This is normal because her hormone levels are high. Almost all teenagers develop acne at one time or another. Whether her case is mild or severe, there are ways to keep acne under control. Talk to her doctor about treatment options for acne.

but most important on my list and personally for me is for you to teach to love and accept herself. self esteem and self worth are very important issues so don't forget to bring up the discussion.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 6:04am On Apr 09, 2009
@ hawua

if you are going to give him/her eba/garri make sure that it is super soft and make the balls into little bitty and cover it with plenty soups, also make sure the soup is not spicy. no fish bone. as for the rice, make it super soft also, you don't necessarily have to grind the rice with your teeth cox then you have eaten the whole thing with your mouth LOL. so just make sure that it is super soft and the stew no spicy/ if needed dont put too much
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 3:44pm On Apr 09, 2009
Nice advice you got there, sissy wink wink

~Sissy~:

@ Ebony I'm really sorry for you lost, my sympathies

yea, when a baby start choking, i think that is a mothers worst nightmare, cox at that moment you head will start spinning, confused on what to do next.

here is usually what i do

when a baby start choking

Give him/her five back blows with the heel of the hand. Lay the baby on top of your arm, with her head lower than her chest. Support baby’s head with your hand around the jaw and under the chest. Rest your arm on your thigh. Give five blows rapidly between the shoulder blades with the heel of your hand. Then turn the baby over.

Turn baby over between your hands. Place your free hand on baby’s back, and sandwich the child between your hands and arms. One hand holds the chest, neck and jaw while the other hand holds the back, neck and head with her face up. Rest this arm on your thigh so her head is lower than her chest.

Chest thrusts. Push on the chest five times with your fingertips on her breastbone. Your fingertips should be one finger-width below an imaginary line between your baby’s nipples. Your hand should come in from the side so that your fingertips run up and down the breastbone.

i also want you to watch this video from the American Heart Association, just to demonstrate more on what i said wink

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFRuiayTt_c[/flash]

I know this process, this is the one I said I wasn't going to do grin grin. . . . . You know, I took a class for this, dnt know where the whole thing I learned went.

Will surely watch the video wink

~Sissy~:

ebony

yay!!!

thanks baby kiss kiss

i got it grin grin grin yay!
U IZ WELCOME wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 1:35am On Apr 10, 2009
*wondering where the world is going to*

y cant y'all be discussing lipstick colour and the likes?

@toyinrayo
u took a class in assisting choking babies?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 9:22am On Apr 10, 2009
@ Ebony

my bad, didn't know u said no Heimlich Maneuver! grin

netotse:

there is a board for that!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:33pm On Apr 10, 2009
netotse:

@toyinrayo
u took a class in assisting choking babies?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
I said so, didn't I? wink

~Sissy~:

@ Ebony

my bad, didn't know u said no Heimlich Maneuver! grin

grin grin grin tis okay cheesy wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 4:53am On Apr 12, 2009
*this wont show up as romance on my stats so i wont get any grief from my friends. . . he he he*

@toyinrayo
wots wrong wiv doing that on a child? u're scared u'll apply to much force?

P.S. its official i am semi scared of u. . . wot on earth were u doing taking a course on choking babies?abi it has something to do wiv ur major abi minor

@sissy
u rarely see gels that deign to use the better parts of their brains esp on NL so this topic fascinates me(not to mention the fact that chief among its instigators is an 18-year old <---- shouldnt u be out getting drunk at that age grin)
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:06am On Apr 12, 2009
netotse:

*this wont show up as romance on my stats so i wont get any grief from my friends. . . he he he*

@toyinrayo
wots wrong wiv doing that on a child? u're scared u'll apply to much force?

P.S. its official i am semi scared of u. . . wot on earth were u doing taking a course on choking babies?abi it has something to do wiv ur major abi minor

@sissy
u rarely see gels that deign to use the better parts of their brains esp on NL so this topic fascinates me(not to mention the fact that chief among its instigators is an 18-year old <---- shouldnt u be out getting drunk at that age grin)
Nothing wrong. . . .but they're too fragile and yes yes, I'm scared of breaking or damaging their sternum. wink

Yes. wink

Who is 18? you took the joke serious, didn't you?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 5:47am On Apr 12, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

Nothing wrong. . . .but they're too fragile and yes yes, I'm scared of breaking or damaging their sternum. wink

Yes. wink

Who is 18? you took the joke serious, didn't you?
lol. . . i like to hit ppl off to get reactions
my verdict:not quite wot i expected. . . my guess is u're kinda used to ppl thinking u're younger/taking u for granted and it doesnt really bother u

about the issue at hand

thats not a valid reason o!(would u say u wont hv a child cos u're scared of crib death<----cant rem the official name) once u hold the child u'll be able to guage the right amt of force to apply i used to hate carrying babies cos i was afraid but its somefink u get over. . .

also the write=up says turn him over and pat

didnt know u cld study how to be a good wife in university. . . sey i shld send u my requirments and u'll find one of u're coursemates for me? wink grin

BTW ɹǝʇsɐǝ ʎddɐɥ !
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:55am On Apr 12, 2009
netotse:

lol. . . i like to hit ppl off to get reactions
my verdict:not quite wot i expected. . . my guess is u're kinda used to ppl thinking u're younger/taking u for granted and it doesnt really bother u
Younger? nah wink

netotse:

about the issue at hand

thats not a valid reason o!(would u say u wont hv a child cos u're scared of crib death<----cant rem the official name) once u hold the child u'll be able to guage the right amt of force to apply i used to hate carrying babies cos i was afraid but its somefink u get over. . .
HMM, we all have our phobia, be the reason weak or strong.

Yes yes, I think I'd panic if a baby starts choking in my hand. . . . wink embarassed

Am I scared of having a baby? NO. I rather anticipate birth than death. . . .so the thought of death cannot prevent me from having kids. . . .

Although I understand the point you're trying to make here, it still doesn't change anything.

netotse:

also the write=up says turn him over and pat
yea, but if you do sth wrong, you can damage their fragile bones or lungs. . . wink

netotse:

didnt know u cld study how to be a good wife in university. . . sey i shld send u my requirments and u'll find one of u're coursemates for me? wink grin

BTW ɹǝʇsɐǝ ʎddɐɥ !
ehrrm ehrrm, speechless.

Anywaz, this is a class required by all. . . .including YOU.

netotse:

BTW ɹǝʇsɐǝ ʎddɐɥ !
Same to you wink cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 6:08am On Apr 12, 2009
k. . . i'll give u credit, u didnt bite the bait the first time sha

Yes yes, I think I'd panic if a baby starts choking in my hand. . . .

Am I scared of having a baby? NO. I rather anticipate birth than death. . . .so the thought of death cannot prevent me from having kids. . . .

Although I understand the point you're trying to make here, it still doesn't change anything.

i hv jst seen you in a vision and u hv a yellow stripe running across ur belly grin(abi is it back?)
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 6:11am On Apr 12, 2009
netotse:

k. . . i'll give u credit, u didnt bite the bait the first time sha
i hv jst seen you in a vision and u hv a yellow stripe running across ur belly grin(abi is it back?)
Bait? when?

Wrong vision wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 6:21am On Apr 12, 2009
where i come from we dont see wrong visions. . . u best believe that!

are u a bodybuilder by chance?(tryna find a basis for this fear of your own strength)

*imagine that a troublesome romantic bodybuilder taking motherhood classes. . . am beginning to see another vision!*
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 6:26am On Apr 12, 2009
netotse:

where i come from we dont see wrong visions. . . u best believe that!

are u a bodybuilder by chance?(tryna find a basis for this fear of your own strength)

*imagine that a troublesome romantic bodybuilder taking motherhood classes. . . am beginning to see another vision!*
LOL, you came from heaven abi? Na God sent you? cheesy cheesy

Why do you think am a body builder?

Romantic? Nopppppppppppeeee!!

This is not motherhood class o
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 6:37am On Apr 12, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

LOL, you came from heaven abi? Na God sent you? cheesy cheesy

Why do you think am a body builder?

Romantic? Nopppppppppppeeee!!

This is not motherhood class o
u jst might be psychic!

for someone that spends a lot of time in 'romance' thats surprising(abi u're jst a tatafo*who on NL isnt?*)

lol. . . didnt say i thot u were one. . . same thing as the 18 year old thing. . . u're assuming.

am fagged out . . . need to sleep b4 church. . . am ouddie

P.S.
this isnt motherhood101?. . . oh ma days shocked
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 6:42am On Apr 12, 2009
netotse:

u jst might be psychic!

for someone that spends a lot of time in 'romance' thats surprising(abi u're jst a tatafo*who on NL isnt?*)

lol. . . didnt say i thot u were one. . . same thing as the 18 year old thing. . . u're assuming.

am fagged out . . . need to sleep b4 church. . . am ouddie

P.S.
this isnt motherhood101?. . . oh ma days shocked

Posting on Romance does not make one a romantic. . . .posting in Politics also does not make one a politician grin grin

This thread is motherhood 101, but the course we were discussing is not a motherhood class wink

Lo sun, omo kekere cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 10:09pm On Apr 12, 2009
TV in children's bedroom

your thoughts,

i like it? why

maybe/confused ? why

i don't like it ? why

have no idea? why
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:23pm On Apr 12, 2009
~Sissy~:

TV in children's bedroom

your thoughts,

i like it? why

maybe/confused ? why

i don't like it ? why

have no idea? why

Happy Easter. . . wink

I don't mind the thought of children having TVs in their room. Infact, I'm for it.

If you have parental controls on the TV, why not? You can block the channels you think is inappropriate.

You can't/shouldn't try to block your children from the outside world affairs.

If you're concerned about the amount of time the TV's been watched, then make a rule about it, including the time they start/ stop watching it.

Yes yes, we can't always know what our kids are doing or if they follow the rules or not. . . .[i]But [/i]the positives outweighs the negatives of watching TV. Especially if you teach your kids to be responsible
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 10:30pm On Apr 12, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

Happy Easter. . .  wink

I don't mind the thought of children having TVs in their room. Infact, I'm for it.

If you have parental controls on the TV, why not? You can block the channels you think is inappropriate.

You can't/shouldn't try to block your children from the outside world affairs.

If you're concerned about the amount of time the TV's been watched, then make a rule about it, including the time they  start/ stop watching it.

Yes yes, we can't always know what our kids are doing or if they follow the rules or not. . . .[i]But [/i]the positives outweighs the negatives of watching TV. Especially if you teach your kids to be responsible

hi dear happy Easter to you too wink wink so how many pot of rice and pepper soup did you cook today?

aha! i like this your answer so in your view supervision is the keyword. GOOD! wink wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:34pm On Apr 12, 2009
~Sissy~:

hi dear happy Easter to you too wink wink so how many pot of rice and pepper soup did you cook today?

aha! i like this your answer so in your view supervision is the keyword. GOOD! wink wink
LOL, no rice and pepper. I went Native on this one. . . . Solid food with obe efo (egusi soup cheesy grin grin )
My belly is so full, I think am falling asleep as I'm typing. cheesy tongue

Ahh, thanks. wink
And it's easier on you. . . .you have the TV outside to yourself if you need to watch it. Just send them up to their room to watch their TV grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:42pm On Apr 12, 2009
~Sissy~:

TV in children's bedroom

your thoughts,

i like it? why

maybe/confused ? why

i don't like it ? why

have no idea? why

They would have a children's sitting room with TV and all kinds of necessary gadgets, but no TV in rooms.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:46pm On Apr 12, 2009
I was watching Forensic files yesterday, a little girl got kidnapped, raped and killed because she took the elevator alone while her parents waited for her to get up stairs. She was walking home alone from school. . . .

The point of my "bla bla" is to ask, would you allow your kid to walk home alone and/or take the elevator alone?

Regardless of how safe we think our environment is, evil lurks in every corner.
Sometimes we don't even have a choice to the choice of picking them up or letting them walk home alone. Consequence of a working educated mother (sometimes).
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:47pm On Apr 12, 2009
@stillwater. . . .
I'm assuming that you won't restrict your teenage children the [i]privilege [/i]of having a TV in their room?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (44) (Reply)

My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story / Why Do Women Lose Interest In Sex After Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.