Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,955 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (90601 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:11pm On Apr 12, 2009
@ Ebony

I'm Forensic files fanatic never miss it! grin grin

i think it depends on the age of the child and the neighborhood/ how far the place is. if she is a little girl i wouldnt take that chance of letting her go my BP is already high enough!

@ stillwater

any reason for your decision?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 11:25pm On Apr 12, 2009
for the tv thing i agree with stillwater (altho u can get one when u're 18). . . if u cant watch tv wiv ur children that takes a lot of fun out of raising them(i know. . . anytime any of my parents enters the sitting room i leave and it hurts. . . )

as for the lift and walking home from school alone, its always best to let the children move in packs if u cant hv someone pick them up(thats wot we did growing up) and of course u need to talk to ur children about the dangers of being in enclosed places with strangers!

@toyinrayo
ok. . . i hv to admit u hv a point on the CPR for children thing saw somefink like that when i was watching old CSI episodes tde. . . the gel died of positional asphyxiation (altho it was a rapist sha) u hv a valid reason to be scared/cautious
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:03am On Apr 13, 2009
~Sissy~:

@ Ebony

I'm Forensic files fanatic never miss it! grin grin

i think it depends on the age of the child and the neighborhood/ how far the place is. if she is a little girl i wouldnt take that chance of letting her go my BP is already high enough!
grin grin grin grin grin same here cheesy

Yea, but anything can happen within a short distance. I wouldn't pull it on the distance.

netotse:

as for the lift and walking home from school alone, its always best to let the children move in packs if u cant hv someone pick them up(thats wot we did growing up) and of course u need to talk to ur children about the dangers of being in enclosed places with strangers!
hmmm, right wink

netotse:

@toyinrayo
ok. . . i hv to admit u hv a point on the CPR for children thing saw somefink like that when i was watching old CSI episodes tde. . . the gel died of positional asphyxiation (altho it was a rapist sha) u hv a valid reason to be scared/cautious
Lol, see you grin grin

Ofcourse I do wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 3:05pm On Apr 13, 2009
TV's in the kids room interesting this came up as I just discussed this with their pediatrician last week when they went for their yearly's.

She recommended that I remove all TV's from the children's rooms because it is the greatest cause of sleep problems in children.
She also recommended that I not allow any TV during the school week and take my 2 hour a day TV time from 2 hours to 4 hours allowed per day only on the weekends.

As soon as spring break is over I will be implementing these rules.

In doing so I am hoping to encourage more reading, playing outside, science projects, learning new things and expanding their minds with things other than Hanna Montana.

Walking or taking the elevator a lone. One of my greatest fears is that something will happen to one of my children, so I have them go in packs if I am not able to go with them.
It is 5 of them all together and there are several neighborhood kids that I trust. So take a brother or a sister or a trusted friend but noone does anything alone.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 8:27pm On Apr 13, 2009
as for the tv thing, if the child is under the age of 16, i wouldn't allow it but above that i would give it a consideration however, with limitations and supervision. i had tv in my room when i was that age and it didn't in any way affect my studies. so it sometimes depends on the type of children others still do good academically or otherwise with/out it while others sucks with it.

@ Ebony on the elevator thing

that would be my biggest mistake to allow him/her to take it alone. i would never, too scary
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 8:59pm On Apr 13, 2009
So I'm the onlyone allowing the TV in the room?

LOL, see me! cheesy

@Sistawoman

I'd have to agree with your pediatrician, she seems to be making good points.

@sissy
true true wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 5:06pm On Apr 16, 2009
I will report back in a couple of months how the no TV in the bedroom thing is working.

I took ill this week so i was not able to pull the tvs from thier rooms but I plan on doing a spring cleaning of thier bedrooms this saturday, since the weather will be devine.

Spring cleaning usually consists of me hauling the matt. out the room and having them scrub them down then me going thru and throwing away all old toys, things, papers and clothes. Moving winter clothes to boxes and bringing out the spring things.

Twice a year they get a top to bottom from me. At this time I will move both tvs out the boys room and take the tv out of my daughtars room.

We will see how they fight this.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:35pm On Apr 16, 2009
sistawoman:

I will report back in a couple of months how the no TV in the bedroom thing is working.

I took ill this week so i was not able to pull the tvs from thier rooms but I plan on doing a spring cleaning of thier bedrooms this saturday, since the weather will be devine.

Spring cleaning usually consists of me hauling the matt. out the room and having them scrub them down then me going thru and throwing away all old toys, things, papers and clothes. Moving winter clothes to boxes and bringing out the spring things.

Twice a year they get a top to bottom from me. At this time I will move both tvs out the boys room and take the tv out of my daughtars room.

We will see how they fight this.
haba, Sistawoman, don't do that during the summer nah! tongue

Okay, plz report, this is experiment number 1.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:35pm On Apr 16, 2009
@House

How do you stop a child from being destructive?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 1:40am On Apr 17, 2009
der should be two sets of replies to this question. . . the naija one and the non-naija(dats ppl outside naija in civilized grin countries)

now abt ur question. . .
if its his/her toys the child is destroying its enough to say no new toys cos u destroyed the other ones

if its not i will beat d nonsense out of the child next time he(i'm already tired of typing he/she so much for being politically correct)sees another persons property he will be careful!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 1:51am On Apr 17, 2009
netotse:

der should be two sets of replies to this question. . . the naija one and the non-naija(dats ppl outside naija in civilized grin countries)

now abt ur question. . .
if its his/her toys the child is destroying its enough to say no new toys cos u destroyed the other ones

if its not i will beat d nonsense out of the child next time he(i'm already tired of typing he/she so much for being politically correct)sees another persons property he will be careful!
rotflmao, you're crazy grin grin grin

Beating a child won't solve anything, darl. It'll only make them more rebellious.

What if he starts destroying the house items nko? Such as glass cups, flower decorations, etc?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 2:06am On Apr 17, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

rotflmao, you're crazy grin grin grin

Beating a child won't solve anything, darl. It'll only make them more rebellious.

What if he starts destroying the house items nko? Such as glass cups, flower decorations, etc?

not the kind of beating i do!. . .seriously someone described it as beating the child with one hand and drawing him close with the other!

i hv a cousin thats like 7 now and when he was young i used to beat him a lot(not to hurt him sha. . . until he was 3) but i played with him more than anything as in he knew i wouldnt hesitate to beat him if he stepped outta line but he was like my own son and till today he will do whatever i tell him(i dont even beat him anymore) his parents even threaten him with my name sef grin

its not jst the beating o!. . . i cant explain it but esp with children there's a way u can hold a child and without saying anything tell him i love you to pieces(i used to do that to him a lot) [size=5pt]*never tried doing it to a gel tho she'd prolly spontaneously combust*[/size]

also did similar stuff with another set of cousins the key is to let them know that u wont take any nonsense but still be their friend

u sha get my point sey?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:21am On Apr 17, 2009
netotse:

not the kind of beating i do!. . .seriously someone described it as beating the child with one hand and drawing him close with the other!

i hv a cousin thats like 7 now and when he was young i used to beat him a lot(not to hurt him sha. . . until he was 3) but i played with him more than anything as in he knew i wouldnt hesitate to beat him if he stepped outta line but he was like my own son and till today he will do whatever i tell him(i dont even beat him anymore) his parents even threaten him with my name sef grin

its not jst the beating o!. . . i cant explain it but esp with children there's a way u can hold a child and without saying anything tell him i love you to pieces(i used to do that to him a lot) [size=5pt]*never tried doing it to a gel tho she'd prolly spontaneously combust*[/size]

also did similar stuff with another set of cousins the key is to let them know that u wont take any nonsense but still be their friend

u sha get my point sey?
awwww, I got you. cheesy cheesy

Same thing with moi. I was told to never play too much with them because they won't know when to get in line when told.

So I played, and still let them know who was older wink And yes, they do what I tell them to do.

But we're talking abt little kids here, below age 3, how do you STOP them from being destructive? little helions cheesy cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 2:29am On Apr 17, 2009
they understand at that age o. . .dont underestimate them i'm serious

if u're not up for the beating(coward) part then talk to them with a straight face and u can do the whole keep them in a corner thing. . .but letting them know they've done something wrong is important(even if they pretend as if they dont know)

its important to talk to them calmly esp when u're chastising them(gosh did i just use that word. . .i feel old) so they dont begin to perceive u as being unnecessarily emotional from a very young age!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:54am On Apr 17, 2009
netotse:

they understand at that age o. . .dont underestimate them i'm serious

if u're not up for the beating(coward) part then talk to them with a straight face and u can do the whole keep them in a corner thing. . .but letting them know they've done something wrong is important(even if they pretend as if they dont know)

its important to talk to them calmly esp when u're chastising them(gosh did i just use that word. . .i feel old) so they dont begin to perceive u as being unnecessarily emotional from a very young age!

You know what?

You should post here more often.

We need male posters too wink

Nice points, B.T.W
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 3:05am On Apr 17, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

You know what?

You should post here more often.

We need male posters too wink

Nice points, B.T.W

what! and spoil my street cred u most be joking *throwing up some serious signs*
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 3:13am On Apr 17, 2009
netotse:

what! and spoil my street cred u most be joking *throwing up some serious signs*
rotflmao. . . .what secret cred?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 3:32am On Apr 17, 2009
in case u hadn't noticed am a gangster n*gga-somebody, sh*t men, wazzup wazzup u kno wo m'sayin *holding up the westside sign and sagging my sokoto*
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:24am On Apr 17, 2009
netotse:

in case u hadn't noticed am a gangster n*gga-somebody, sh*t men, wazzup wazzup u kno wo m'sayin *holding up the westside sign and sagging my sokoto*
Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 4:37am On Apr 17, 2009
wots wrong now? according to my research(MTV base) the gangsters get all the gels (no mtv for my children!)
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:38am On Apr 17, 2009
netotse:

wots wrong now? according to my research(MTV base) the gangsters get all the gels (no mtv for my children!)
rotflmao, funny you mentioned the bolded part. cheesy cheesy

Well, grown women are not into the gansta stuff tongue wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 4:43am On Apr 17, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

rotflmao, funny you mentioned the bolded part.  cheesy cheesy

Well, grown women are not into the gansta stuff  tongue wink

i dont even watch it myself. . . too much temptation *i'd rather see the temptation in person*

yep but boys dont want grown women. . . they want the women in the videos
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:49am On Apr 17, 2009
netotse:

i dont even watch it myself. . . too much temptation

yep but boys dont want grown women. . . they want the women in the videos
What do [b]you [/b]want?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 4:54am On Apr 17, 2009
nice. . .u managed to see past the answer

the usual. . . nothing special jst gabrielle union  grin(my eye is not too big now)

its not the packaging thats important its the product. . .
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 4:55am On Apr 17, 2009
netotse:

nice. . .u managed to see past the answer

the usual. . . nothing special jst gabrielle union grin(my eye is not too big now)

its not the packaging thats important its the product. . .
LOL, keep wishing. tongue

Do you want a grown woman or those kinds they pay to dance naked in music videos?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 5:01am On Apr 17, 2009
ah ah! thats easy. . .i want the naked one now *so that my mother can now declare 40 days prayer and fasting and throw her out of my life!*
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 5:10am On Apr 17, 2009
netotse:

ah ah! thats easy. . .i want the naked one now *so that my mother can now declare 40 days prayer and fasting and throw her out of my life!*
grin grin grin grin you're a case.

Goodnight, baby wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 5:12am On Apr 17, 2009
odabo ma!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 5:21am On Apr 17, 2009
*trying taking his/her toys away for two or so days

*spanking, however make sure he/she understands that he is being spanked for that particular action. they are still young to fully understand that something is right or wrong but associating wrongness with pain, makes them understand that this isnt right

*try the straight talk express. look straight into his/her eyes,  that tell it like it is, this kind of put fear into them knowing that what they did is wrong. make sure you make eye contact with them this kind of shows them you are serious,

*try timeout and make sure during the process no toys to play with in there, just him/her alone and do tell him/her why they are in there

*try behavior chart with reward/punishment, maybe you tell him/her if you do this and not and you will get this/that on your chart (cool glitter, markers, stickers could work)
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Hauwa1: 4:25pm On Apr 17, 2009
Silk, your question made me remember a lady. a young woman with small kids. went with a friend to her place to braid during break. man! you should see the home!!! graffiti galore  grin she said she is tired of them  shocked

should pple wait till the kids are older to buy better stuff for their home?
do kids behave better with dad being there?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 7:40pm On Apr 17, 2009
As the kids were growing up I always had an area or space for them that they could destroy.

When they did come into the common areas I always had some sort of toy or other thing that i would give them when i told them no.

I would get down to eye level with the child tell them no pointing to the item in question then give them something they could play with and tell them to play with that.

For some reason even as little little ones my kids have always had this fear of me that i rarely have to repeat myself, unless of course we are talking about chores, and still to this day I just cut my eyes at them and they str8 right up.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 10:39pm On Apr 17, 2009
@sistawoman
i really like the idea of a punishment/reward chart but cant it cos the child to start to expect rewards for doing stuff he shld do normally?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (44) (Reply)

My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story / Why Do Women Lose Interest In Sex After Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.