Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,504 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (90567 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Pataki: 10:33pm On Mar 09, 2013
Nothing wrong in absolutely and outwardly expressing love to your favorite child.

Parent should love unconditionally. However, this is most often not the case. When favoritism exists among siblings, it enables siblings to think, what can I do to get it right with my parents. Often attimes, we have become sterotyped to the norm that favoritism promotes hatred, bitterness and rancour in the family. This is however not the case in most situations.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 6:22pm On Mar 10, 2013
Pataki: Nothing wrong in absolutely and outwardly expressing love to your favorite child.

Parent should love unconditionally. However, this is most often not the case. When favoritism exists among siblings, it enables siblings to think, what can I do to get it right with my parents. Often attimes, we have become sterotyped to the norm that favoritism promotes hatred, bitterness and rancour in the family. This is however not the case in most situations.

Interesting perceptive. You don't think it can lead into a deep seated sibling discord well into adulthood?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by AjanleKoko: 10:15am On Mar 11, 2013
Pataki: Nothing wrong in absolutely and outwardly expressing love to your favorite child.

No vex, bros. But do you have any children?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by zayhal(f): 3:55pm On Mar 11, 2013
I think I can relate with what @pataki is trying to say. While growing up, my parents, dad especially didn't hide it that I was his favourite kid. He was so protective and bought me things more than the others. He took me out during weekends and holidays more than my siblings and traveled to see me in school more than he did with them. Through all of this, my brothers only makes jest of me to be daddy's girl. There has never been an iota of jelousy in them. They only tease me with it.

I think if siblings begin to hate their parents' favourite child, there's other underlying problems in the family. I have families around me now where the favourite kid is clearly identified without trouble.

But in a polygamous home identifying a favourite child can cause big trouble.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 7:32am On Mar 12, 2013
zayhal: I think I can relate with what @pataki is trying to say. While growing up, my parents, dad especially didn't hide it that I was his favourite kid. He was so protective and bought me things more than the others. He took me out during weekends and holidays more than my siblings and traveled to see me in school more than he did with them. Through all of this, my brothers only makes jest of me to be daddy's girl. There has never been an iota of jelousy in them. They only tease me with it.

I think if siblings begin to hate their parents' favourite child, there's other underlying problems in the family.I have families around me now where the favourite kid is clearly identified without trouble.

It could actually be the main problem especially when it goes beyond the "normal" mommy/daddy likes you better thing.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 4:24pm On Mar 12, 2013
I tend to agree with Zayhal on this, your relationship with your siblings will play an important part in how you handle favoritism, you can tease the perceived favourite about his/her status, you can player hate on the person or(my personal favourite) you can turn the person into a mule a la "go and ask daddy/mummy for xxxxx you know they will answer you" tongue
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 8:16am On Mar 13, 2013
^^^^

Longest tyme
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by chamotex(m): 10:37am On Mar 13, 2013
Tgirl4real: Sissy, I know say na u Chamo find come. tongue

I come in peace smiley
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 2:11pm On Mar 13, 2013
chamotex:

I come in peace smiley

U?? Where have u been?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by chamotex(m): 9:53am On Mar 14, 2013
Tgirl4real:

U?? Where have u been?

I replied your mail o. Or didn't you get it?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 2:03pm On Mar 14, 2013
I did. U missed ma bday parry. tongue
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by BZion(m): 1:23pm On Mar 15, 2013
Order your first aid kits for your cars and homes
Here is a high quality first -aid kit with content that is suitable for cars, homes, offices and churches. It is equipped with all you need to save lives in the case of an emergency. The kit has the following:
-a pair of scissors
Guaze pad
wet wipe
triangular bandage
CPR face shield
adhesive bandage
thick bandage
instant cold pack
non-adherent pad
emergency blanket
50 strip plasters etc

Call 08168974831 for orders in Lagos.

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by chamotex(m): 11:26pm On Mar 15, 2013
Tgirl4real: I did. U missed ma bday parry. tongue

sad sad
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 6:59am On Mar 16, 2013
chamotex:

sad sad

Lol
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by YorubaOmoge: 4:40pm On Mar 16, 2013
@Tgirl

Saw your post on the VN thread. Thanks lol.
I couldnt reply cuz I've been banned by sexkillz lol
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 5:51pm On Mar 16, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge: @Tgirl

Saw your post on the VN thread. Thanks lol.
I couldnt reply cuz I've been banned by sexkillz lol

Ohh! I see!

Lol
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by raqueal(f): 3:48pm On Mar 17, 2013
Alafia oo, sorry to digress

netotse: I tend to agree with Zayhal on this, your relationship with your siblings will play an important part in how you handle favoritism, you can tease the perceived favourite about his/her status, you can player hate on the person or(my personal favourite) you can turn the person into a mule a la "go and ask daddy/mummy for xxxxx you know they will answer you" tongue

I miss reading your diary. It's been a while,Pls update. Thanks
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by filcast(m): 12:03pm On Mar 23, 2013
my son will be 1 year old in two weeks.what multivitamins can you recommend for him.we had given him ABIDEC,do we continue with dat or get a different stuff.He is healthy though,i just want to be very sure he's getting all necessary nutrients.

1 Like

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by valueforlife: 1:05pm On Mar 25, 2013
nice topic
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 1:57pm On Mar 25, 2013
filcast: my son will be 1 year old in two weeks.what multivitamins can you recommend for him.we had given him ABIDEC,do we continue with dat or get a different stuff.He is healthy though,i just want to be very sure he's getting all necessary nutrients.

I'm not a medical personnel, but I am a mother. Ur baby doesn't need any multivitamin as long as he is healthy and he is eating well.

1 Like

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by filcast(m): 6:44am On Mar 26, 2013
Tgirl4real:

I'm not a medical personnel, but I am a mother. Ur baby doesn't need any multivitamin as long as he is healthy and he is eating well.
tanx dear.at least i can save some change for sumtin else
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 8:49pm On Mar 26, 2013
If your baby is eating right, i know toddlers can be "picky" eaters, but if hes at least getting "diverse" healthy food choices, i personally see no need for vitamins. however, there's nothing wrong in supplementing with vitamins as long as it is within the recommended daily dosage. It is up to you to decide. Also, you have make sure you aren't overdosing him on one type of vitamin esp if they are getting enough of it from food. if you do decide on vitamins, make sure it is in the right form to avoid choking. Always check with your pediatrician.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by AjanleKoko: 8:59am On Mar 27, 2013
filcast: my son will be 1 year old in two weeks.what multivitamins can you recommend for him.we had given him ABIDEC,do we continue with dat or get a different stuff.He is healthy though,i just want to be very sure he's getting all necessary nutrients.

Your son is probably still heavy on cereal, and not yet fully introduced to solids.
Most of the cereal products are fortified with vitamins, and as such you may not really need extra supplements unless a doctor advised you to do so.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 6:34am On Mar 28, 2013
Interesting study.

Many Babies Fed Solids Too Early

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/25/solid-food-for-infants_n_2948940.html?utm_hp_ref=parents-babies

"In the study, 40 percent of mothers said they gave their infants solid foods before the age of 4 months"
shocked shocked

"Studies have also linked the early introduction of solid foods with an increased risk of chronic diseases later in life, such as obesity and eczema. In addition, starting babies on solid foods early may reduce the duration of breastfeeding, and breastfeeding itself has been shown to have many health benefits for kids."
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Pataki: 11:13am On Mar 28, 2013
zayhal: I think I can relate with what @pataki is trying to say. While growing up, my parents, dad especially didn't hide it that I was his favourite kid. He was so protective and bought me things more than the others. He took me out during weekends and holidays more than my siblings and traveled to see me in school more than he did with them. Through all of this, my brothers only makes jest of me to be daddy's girl. There has never been an iota of jelousy in them. They only tease me with it.

I think if siblings begin to hate their parents' favourite child, there's other underlying problems in the family. I have families around me now where the favourite kid is clearly identified without trouble.

Thank you very much. You succinctly stated it better.

~Sissy~:

Interesting perceptive. You don't think it can lead into a deep seated sibling discord well into adulthood?
Nope. Siblings build the relationship they want with each other as the years go by. I could have chosen to hate my brother because my father punished me more than him. But no. My brother and I are good friends.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by netotse(m): 12:30am On Mar 29, 2013
~Sissy~:
^^^^

Longest tyme
Most def, been busy pretending to be an adult, how's things?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:12am On Apr 01, 2013
Lol. things are fine o

@ALL

HAPPY EASTER!!! hope you all had a wonderful and festive celebration!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 12:50pm On Apr 01, 2013
~Sissy~:
Lol. things are fine o

@ALL

HAPPY EASTER!!! hope you all had a wonderful and festive celebration!

Celebration is been good so far.

Where is Chamotex?

Happy birthday to u dear. #hugz n kisses#
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 7:59am On Apr 05, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Celebration is been good so far.

Where is Chamotex?

Happy birthday to u dear. #hugz n kisses#

I trust u had a wonderfunfilled easter cool

Champie, don disappear as always sad sad
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 8:24am On Apr 05, 2013
I don't/can't recall if this has been previously discussed in one of the 40+ pages of this thread, so pardon the lapse in memory if this is a repeat.

I'm sure you have heard parents- your own, families/friends, and maybe even you tell your kid(s),nieces, nephew etc they can be anything in life (esp career-wise), achieve what they want etc. Do you really think that line of thought/statement is true? Can your child truly become anything in life or be only better/best in what they are actually good at. Do you believe each child is born with a certain area of interest that they can be "efficiently" good at or does each child have a wide range of interest/career parts etc.

[size=4pt]I hope the main point was not lost in that whole preamble grin
[/size]
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 11:55am On Apr 05, 2013
U didn't miss d point babes.

I think both ways is possible. A child can actually be whatever once he puts his mind at it and work towards it from dat tender age. There will surely be exceptions though. But this approach isn't healthy. It breeds greedy, self-centered and over-ambitous kids.

But for me, I will rather encourage my child to work at being the best or be better at what he loves to do (his strengths, gifts and area of interest). I believe everyone has a gift for something. All of us can't be d same and we can't be everything. So, instead of encouraging my child to be ambitious, I will study him and encourage him towards his area of interest till he is matured enough to make his choices.

Pataki, I hail o.

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (Reply)

My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter / Why Do Women Lose Interest In Sex After Marriage? / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.