Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (90563 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by AjanleKoko: 2:57pm On Apr 05, 2013
I say again, it's when you have too many kids that you can isolate one as favourite undecided
Just have one child, maximum two, and they can all be your favourite at the same time. Singling out children is never good.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 7:55pm On Apr 05, 2013
in the next 5 years i hope to be able to engage in such convo. smiley
#i<3children
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by k4kenny(f): 2:27pm On Apr 08, 2013
Hi everybody. Nice thread.
My first son just turned 23 months old and I noticed his speech and vocabulary are not up to par with his age. According to the updates I receive from babycenter, his vocabulary should be up to 50 words and he should be able to communicate with short sentences, but my son can barely say 10 words clearly sad. Even kids that are months younger than he is are able to verbally communicate to an extent, though I try not to compare kids as every child has his pace. Even understanding simple commands like 'bring your cup' or 'sit down there' is a challenge and this is making potty training impossible sad .
I've tried everything from educational cds, speaking slowly to him in a singsong voice, singing and demonstrating.
I know kids are not to be rushed and shouldn't be compared to one another, but my question is: At what should I get worried about this and involve a professional? Apart from this issue, he's a handsome and healthy toddler as lively as ever cheesy.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 3:11pm On Apr 08, 2013
Ok. Thanks for dropping by K4.

I don't think u have anything to worry about yet as long as he isn't stuttering or stammering. My sister's son didn't start speaking properly till he was around 4, but now u won't believe it when they tell you he was slow to speak. But he started walking very early.

Like I would always say, I am not a professional in dis field so u may need to see your doctor or pediatrician so that they can observe his reflexes and be sure all is well.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by k4kenny(f): 4:53pm On Apr 08, 2013
Thanks Tgirl. He's not stuttering, his words are incoherent. I just wish he communicates more. I'll leave him to his own pace then. smiley
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by AjanleKoko: 4:54pm On Apr 08, 2013
k4kenny: Hi everybody. Nice thread.
My first son just turned 23 months old and I noticed his speech and vocabulary are not up to par with his age. According to the updates I receive from babycenter, his vocabulary should be up to 50 words and he should be able to communicate with short sentences, but my son can barely say 10 words clearly sad. Even kids that are months younger than he is are able to verbally communicate to an extent, though I try not to compare kids as every child has his pace. Even understanding simple commands like 'bring your cup' or 'sit down there' is a challenge and this is making potty training impossible sad .
I've tried everything from educational cds, speaking slowly to him in a singsong voice, singing and demonstrating.
I know kids are not to be rushed and shouldn't be compared to one another, but my question is: At what should I get worried about this and involve a professional? Apart from this issue, he's a handsome and healthy toddler as lively as ever cheesy.

How many teeth has he grown?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by k4kenny(f): 8:14pm On Apr 08, 2013
^^^he has 16 teeth. He grew his canines and 2 premolars together, that's 6 teeth at the same period. Does teething also affect their speech development
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by AjanleKoko: 2:36pm On Apr 12, 2013
k4kenny: ^^^he has 16 teeth. He grew his canines and 2 premolars together, that's 6 teeth at the same period. Does teething also affect their speech development

So I was once told by a paediatrician. My son also did not communicate clearly until he was over two years old. But he is fine now, and is regarded by all and sundry as a chatterbox embarassed
Though with 16 teeth, your boy seems to have a full quota at his age grin

Are you in Nigeria, and does he go to a day care? That can help sometimes.
I think if the child's motor functions are intact, i.e. he eats, walks or runs, sleeps, and plays normally, and doesn't fall ill or exhibit any odd behaviour, there is most likely nothing wrong. Some kids are lazy and don't learn too fast.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by k4kenny(f): 8:40pm On Apr 12, 2013
Lol I know 16 teeth is a full plate at his age, never made connection with speech and communication. We enrolled him to a daycare in January hoping for improvements but its still pretty much the same. His motor functions are superb but the odd behaviours I've noticed in him are his tantrums and his habit of biting people whenever he's angry. Sometimes I think the tantrums and biting may be connected to his speech delay.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 24, 2013
filcast: my son will be 1 year old in two weeks.what multivitamins can you recommend for him.we had given him ABIDEC,do we continue with dat or get a different stuff.He is healthy though,i just want to be very sure he's getting all necessary nutrients.
If u r still breastfeedin,and ur baby is eating quality food,then, that's ok.don't make d body to be dependent on drugs.drugs r drugs. They always hv long term effect. Most parents give multivitamins when their child is on drug eg antibiotics,otherwise there is no need for multivits.thanks
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 1:05am On May 07, 2013
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2320235/Why-stressful-number-children--BUT-mothers-MORE-relaxed.html

Why three is the most stressful number of children to have - BUT mothers of four are MORE relaxed

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 09, 2013
Whatever you parents do, just make sure you remember that They will not be "children" forever. Be sure to tone down on your role as the child matures into an adult, or you will eventually not be welcome in their life.

https://www.nairaland.com/1281750/parents-need-respect-children-too
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 12:13am On May 10, 2013
True. Sadly, it is often neglected in our African parenting mentality.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by EjiroOgoni: 11:44pm On May 11, 2013
My son is allowed to give the child 3 warnings and the 4th attempt of bullying, he should retaliate. I believe that this gives everyone time to take appropriate action.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by EjiroOgoni: 11:51pm On May 11, 2013
~Sissy~:
What to do if your child is being bullied (this what i learned)

Encourage your child to share his or her concerns. Remain calm, listen in a loving manner and support your child's feelings. Express understanding and concern. You might say, "I understand you're having a rough time. Let's work together to deal with this." Remind your child that he or she isn't to blame for being bullied.

Learn as much as you can about the situation. Ask your child to describe how and when the bullying occurs and who is involved. Ask if other children or adults have witnessed any bullying incidents. Find out what your child may have done to try to stop the bullying.

Teach your child how to respond to the bullying. Don't promote retaliation or fighting back against a bully. Instead, encourage your child to maintain his or her composure. He or she might say, "I want you to stop now," and then simply walk away. Suggest sticking with a friend or group of friends while on the bus, in the cafeteria or wherever the bullying seems to happen. Remind your child that he or she can ask teachers or other school officials for help.

Contact school officials. Talk to your child's teacher, the school counselor and the school principal. If your child has been physically attacked or otherwise threatened with harm, talk to school officials immediately to help determine if the police should be involved. Don't contact the bully's parents yourself. You may also want to encourage school officials to address bullying as part of the curriculum.

Follow up. Keep in contact with school officials. If the bullying seems to continue, be persistent.

Boost your child's self-confidence. Help your child get involved in activities that can raise self-esteem, such as sports, music or art. Encourage your child to make contact with friendly students in his or her class and develop his or her social skills.

Know when to seek professional help. Consider professional or school counseling for your child if his or her fear or anxiety becomes overwhelming.

Hi have you tried this approach and it works. Please let me know. I would love to get to this stage.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 3:02pm On May 13, 2013
~Sissy~:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2320235/Why-stressful-number-children--BUT-mothers-MORE-relaxed.html

Why three is the most stressful number of children to have - BUT mothers of four are MORE relaxed

@ Sissy,

DO u think it makes much sense?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 3:11am On May 14, 2013
EjiroOgoni:

Hi have you tried this approach and it works. Please let me know. I would love to get to this stage.

Is your child being bullied?

Tgirl4real:

@ Sissy,

DO u think it makes much sense?

It is an interesting "findings" to say the least. I'm not fully convinced however. The only thing that i'd agree with is the fact that having more makes you less of a "perfectionist". You learn to let go alot more and you have more hands etc
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 1:47pm On May 14, 2013
~Sissy~:

Is your child being bullied?

It is an interesting "findings" to say the least. I'm not fully convinced however. The only thing that i'd agree with is the fact that having more makes you less of a "perfectionist". You learn to let go alot more and you have more hands etc

Yeah!

But I don't think it applies to this harsh economic condition in this our beloved country. grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 8:10am On May 15, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Yeah!

But I don't think it applies to this harsh economic condition in this our beloved country. grin

Lol you think so,dont think some couples put economy into consideration with what im seeing these days lipsrsealed
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by BunnyB(f): 8:35am On May 18, 2013
I know dis is not part of the topic bt i just want to share my experience here and a mature advice will b needed. I don't know if am to b blamed or my family. Here is my story. My uncle used to ve sex with me when i was little (age 7-9) and i don't ve d courage to tell my parents about it. When i was 9yrs my brother found out about it and reported to my dad and i was almost beaten to d point of coma. And ever since, my dad ve no trust in me, my decisions, my life. I can't talk to any of my family members and i prefer a stranger dan dem. Even now i feel bad abt myself. Am over my childhood issues bt am still not comfortable abt myself cos my dad refused to give me a chance to prove myself. Am thrice the age now and he still treats me like a kid dat can't take full responsibilities of herself. Presently am havin issues with my dad and everybody. I keep askin myself if am at fault.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 8:36am On May 20, 2013
Dear Bunny B, I understand how you feel. I remember how my cousin almost slept with my younger sister, she was about 5 or 6 years, I was 8 years old and I screamed at him. He begged me not to tell anyone, but I told my elder brother and he gave him a stern warning. Today, there is no grudge or anger between us. I will advice you to talk to your mum/dad about it - how you feel about your childhood - relieve the pain by talking to your family, ask God to help you, heal your heart and most of all give your life to Christ and ask the Holy Spirit to help you. Don't let your past steal the blessings God has for your future nor allow the devil rob of your happiness in life. Wishing you all the best.

Bunny B: I know dis is not part of the topic bt i just want to share my experience here and a mature advice will b needed. I don't know if am to b blamed or my family. Here is my story. My uncle used to ve sex with me when i was little (age 7-9) and i don't ve d courage to tell my parents about it. When i was 9yrs my brother found out about it and reported to my dad and i was almost beaten to d point of coma. And ever since, my dad ve no trust in me, my decisions, my life. I can't talk to any of my family members and i prefer a stranger dan dem. Even now i feel bad abt myself. Am over my childhood issues bt am still not comfortable abt myself cos my dad refused to give me a chance to prove myself. Am thrice the age now and he still treats me like a kid dat can't take full responsibilities of herself. Presently am havin issues with my dad and everybody. I keep askin myself if am at fault.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by BunnyB(f): 10:32am On May 21, 2013
@Teeworld12, thanks u so much and thanks for d truthfulness.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by baby124: 3:59pm On May 21, 2013
Bunny B: I know dis is not part of the topic bt i just want to share my experience here and a mature advice will b needed. I don't know if am to b blamed or my family. Here is my story. My uncle used to ve sex with me when i was little (age 7-9) and i don't ve d courage to tell my parents about it. When i was 9yrs my brother found out about it and reported to my dad and i was almost beaten to d point of coma. And ever since, my dad ve no trust in me, my decisions, my life. I can't talk to any of my family members and i prefer a stranger dan dem. Even now i feel bad abt myself. Am over my childhood issues bt am still not comfortable abt myself cos my dad refused to give me a chance to prove myself. Am thrice the age now and he still treats me like a kid dat can't take full responsibilities of herself. Presently am havin issues with my dad and everybody. I keep askin myself if am at fault.

WOW. This is ridiculous. My dear am sorry you had such an experience. You are not at fault at all, your dad should be ashamed of himself honestly. That kind of story, i would have even been scared to tell my father, as the person may not live to see another minute. That is probably his sibling, and he has not brought himself to believe his brother can do such. I suggest you call a family meeting and table all these unresolved issues. Tell him he betrayed you as a father. After being raped at 7-9, and even years later he is still holding resentment. Face him and tell him to face the fact that you were raped, abused and taken advantage of by his family member. The reason why you didnt speak up early is probably because of how he reacted when he heard about it. I am so sorry about your experience. You need to seek counseling and psychological help for such a trauma.

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (Reply)

My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter / Why Do Women Lose Interest In Sex After Marriage? / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.