Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,922 members, 7,821,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (90667 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by amosexy: 4:41am On Mar 31, 2009
I have some questions everybody and will really appreciate peoples responds on this, How many candy can u give your kids in a day, can u let them have as much as they want in a day,Is it gud for kids to wake early in the morning demanding for candy,gum,chocolate e.tc and u give it to them ? Is it proper for parent to use candy to encourage their kids to eat ? I'm sorry to ask all this questions but eachtime my nephew (5yrs) wakes up cryin for candy and the mother givin it him,makes me feel sick. Does mother have to give their kids everything thing they demanded for ? Should mothers really be blamed for their kids bad behaviours ? Should a mother encourage her teenage daughter to use birth control pills ? Is it proper and Godly for a mother to take her child for an abortion when the foetus is healthy ?

I dont really know wat this world is turning to.Thanks
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 5:55am On Mar 31, 2009
amosexy:

How many candy can u give your kids in a day,

i'd say 2 or 3

amosexy:

can u let them have as much as they want in a day,

no, it is very unhealthy for them and it spoils them

amosexy:

Is it gud for kids to wake early in the morning demanding for candy,gum,chocolate e.tc and u give it to them ?

they are kids, so they dont really know whether it is good or bad, they just want candy. so that should be left to the parent to make that decision for them. and i dont think it is right to give them candy in the morning when they demand for it. cox then you are encouraging them to retain such behaviors which is not good.

amosexy:

Is it proper for parent to use candy to encourage their kids to eat ?

no, IMO i dont think it is proper for any reason, cox again you are encouraging a habit which in some cases maybe very hard to break and maybe too late.

amosexy:

Does mother have to give their kids everything thing they demanded for ?

i dont think that it is a good behavior/habit to encourage. the mother should learn how to say NO to some demands his son makes. it doesn't make her a better/good mother by giving him everything he demands. candies are not good for kids. it is sugar, so intake of it should be monitored.

amosexy:

Should mothers really be blamed for their kids bad behaviours ?

mothers are only ONE person. they cant carry everything on their head. i really think it is very UNFAIR to blame them for everything that goes wrong with their children behaviors. they cant do it all alone. it takes a village to raise a child. the father should be blamed equally for their children misbehaving if they are looking for whom to blame.

amosexy:

Should a mother encourage her teenage daughter to use birth control pills ?

the issue of using birth control, totally IMO, is a private decision. depending on the beliefs of the party involved. it may be seen as encouraging promiscuity which i dont think so. however, if i know that my daughter is sexually active, i would strongly advice her to use protection for own her sake. so that decision depends on the person religious/personals beliefs.

amosexy:

Is it proper and Godly for a mother to take her child for an abortion when the foetus is healthy ?

again this issue depends on the religious/personals beliefs of the person. i personally dont like and dont support abortion. so in my view i wouldnt do it however, everyone is different, many dont have a problem with it. so it depends on the person's beliefs to judge when it is wrong or right to do so.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 8:43am On Mar 31, 2009
You raised some thought provoking questions there. Sissy has done a good job so far. Let me add my two cents based on my religious background.

Mothers need to be strict and disciplined when training their kids. Like Sissy said, candy is unhealthy, so too much of it shouldnt be encouraged. Kids will always be kids. It is left for the mother to know when to say NO. Allowing your child to have his/her way doesnt mean you love the child. We need to be careful. And I believe mothers play salient roles in the lives of kids, so it's not a surprise that they are blamed for their children's misbehaviour. Let every mother spend enough time to train their kids up in the proper way.

Talking about abortion and birth control pills. I will never allow my daughter to go for an abortion. Once she is pregnant she delivers the baby. Also, I cant encourage my teenage daughter to use pills, rather I will teach her to abstain. Birth control kini? What is she doing with sex at that early age anyway? Let her go and taste it and bear the consequence. As long as I have brought her up according to biblical standards. Well, I am a christian if u need to know. Lol
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by amosexy: 2:00pm On Mar 31, 2009
@ Sissy thanx so much. If a mother encourages her daughter to use BC and she took advantage of it to start strewing around and at the end of the day she got silly ,contacted HIV or the womb stop workin becos of too much pills.The daughter will forever blame her mother and the mother might neva even forgive herself for encouraging it. So sissy , to ba ko waju si e ko ta,to ko eyin si e ko ta, a mo to ba ku iwo ni kan ko tun ero ara e pa(i will teach her how to stay away from sex but if she does it,she should face the consequences).

@Tgirl4real i'm sorry to have raised a thought provokin question but the truth is when you see the the way some mothers raises their kids,you will want to look yourself as being mean to your own kids.Eachtime i try to correct my sister on giving too much candies to her kids,you hear her givin some rubbish excuses that ,she just got back from work and the only thing she can use to make them happy is givin them everything they want. These kids hardly take healthy food and even if they will take,she has to beg them with candies.They call me MEAN-AUNT becos i dont offer them candies after meal.Is it that mothers find it had to say NO to their kids abroad especially nigerian women ? Is it easy for me to be mean becos their not my kids .I'm not a mother yet but i must tell u i'm scared of being one .
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by sistawoman: 3:04pm On Mar 31, 2009
Please dont be fearful of parenthood. It is the most important job that we will ever hold but it is nothing to fear. Just relax and do the best you can. Pray for your children and hope that they will take your training and remember it.

I dont think there are any right or wrong answers when it comes to raising children, with the exception to abuse. I think that since we dont get a handbook with cheat codes that we have to do the very best with what we have.

This thread I think is a great place for us to share training tips and concerns and from reading from others we learn a new way maybe of dealing with our children and getting them to do just as we try so hard to make them do.

About the candy and giving your child everything they want. At 5 that maybe simple enough to do but what happens when the items they demand start to raise in price? Will the parents still work themselves to the bone to get what they want just so the child wont fuss? What does this teach the child in the end? Does not the child learn that if i fuss enough mom and dad will just give it to me, I dont have earn it, i just have cry loud enough. Who is the adult, the child or the parent?

Children crave discipline. Children need rules. True love for your child is saying no when they dont need it.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by kay9(m): 4:05pm On Mar 31, 2009
~Sissy~:

i'd say 2 or 3 . . .

"Sissy". . . . . hmmm, howdy? smiley grin grin

@sista, Tg n evrybody else: Good work, good talk, good advice, yep. Keep it up, keep it up. Just browsing by. . .
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 4:47pm On Mar 31, 2009
Thanx Kay9
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by amosexy: 5:12pm On Mar 31, 2009
@ sisterwoman thanx so much, u have given me strenght to face the future.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 9:15pm On Mar 31, 2009
amosexy:

How many candy can u give your kids in a day,
In a day? That's too much. . . .I'd say at most 3 candies in a week.
Think of their teeth, think of their enamel, think of cavities wink

amosexy:

can u let them have as much as they want in a day
No, they spoil them. And do kids ever know what is really good for them?

amosexy:

Is it gud for kids to wake early in the morning demanding for candy,gum,chocolate e.tc and u give it to them ?
No, no no!!
No!
After 1pm is okay. But let them eat lunch first.
All those candies should be "snacks", something to bite on after lunch and before dinner tongue

amosexy:

Is it proper for parent to use candy to encourage their kids to eat ? I'm sorry to ask all this questions but eachtime my nephew (5yrs) wakes up cryin for candy and the mother givin it him,makes me feel sick.
Nah, questions are actually good.
No, like I said before, you begin to spoil them.
You can encourage your kids to eat by promising to take them to the park or see a movie or to a national park.
But with things that's not healthy for them? No.

After a while, they begin to see candy as a must for doing something, anything.

amosexy:

Does mother have to give their kids everything thing they demanded for ?
No, sometimes, you need to make them earn it.
DO NOT SPOIL YOUR CHILD!

amosexy:

Should mothers really be blamed for their kids bad behaviours ?
Well, I don't know.
What I believe is that both of the parent should be blamed.
Mothers are supposed to teach and educate their children morally and ethically, and the father is the enforcer.
He needs to make sure that his kids are learning the right things, and if any whooping is required, the father should do the whooping.

amosexy:

Should a mother encourage her teenage daughter to use birth control pills ?
No, either condom or abstinence.
Prevention is better than Solution.

amosexy:

Is it proper and Godly for a mother to take her child for an abortion when the foetus is healthy ?
No no no!!
Gosh no.

I'm sorry, but she WILL not be living under my roof. I can't stand the thought of teenage pregnancy.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by bigbumper(f): 9:22pm On Mar 31, 2009
Parental guide ko, shior, what happened to the good old pankere and koboko tongue tongue tongue
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 9:24pm On Mar 31, 2009
big_bumper:

Parental guide ko, shior, what happened to the good old pankere and koboko tongue tongue tongue
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked And here I was going to let you babysit my babe in the future shocked shocked
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by bigbumper(f): 9:38pm On Mar 31, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked And here I was going to let you babysit my babe in the future shocked shocked

Don't worry, none of the children I have handled has ever complained, yes they moan sometimes and tell me that, by law, I am not supposed to beat them, but I usually shut them up by telling them that the reason their parents are scared of beating them is because they are illegal aliens and could get deported cheesy grin cheesy

Yet, I still don't know why babies and children love me cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 9:49pm On Mar 31, 2009
big_bumper:

Don't worry, none of the children I have handled has ever complained, yes they moan sometimes and tell me that, by law, I am not supposed to beat them, but I usually shut them up by telling them that the reason their parents are scared of beating them is because they are illegal aliens and could get deported cheesy grin cheesy

Yet, I still don't know why babies and children love me cheesy cheesy cheesy
rotflmao. . . .you're crazy cheesy grin cheesy
I won't lie o, I kinda agree with you.
But just dntleave any marks sha grin grin

Once in a while cheesy

You know what?
I wonder why some parents beat their child when the child misbehaves, but hates it when another woman beats the child for the same reason she did. ,
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by bigbumper(f): 10:01pm On Mar 31, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

rotflmao. . . .you're crazy cheesy grin cheesy
I won't lie o, I kinda agree with you.
But just dntleave any marks sha grin grin

Once in a while cheesy

You know what?
I wonder why some parents beat their child when the child misbehaves, but hates it when another woman beats the child for the same reason she did. ,

LOL, abeg no agree with me o, I stopped doing that when I got to my twenties, now all I have to do to stop them in their tracks is give them my special look grin grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by bigbumper(f): 10:04pm On Mar 31, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

. . . You know what?

No one really likes being judged, so they see it as an affront to their person when you challenge their parenting skills or lack of cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:07pm On Mar 31, 2009
big_bumper:

LOL, abeg no agree with me o, I stopped doing that when I got to my twenties, now all I have to do to stop them in their tracks is give them my special look grin grin grin
LOL, are you stalking me?
That's what I do?

Once I give the long stare and angry body posture, they know not to cross me.
But the baby still does not get it. He just cries when he knows am angry, because he knows he did something wrong
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:08pm On Mar 31, 2009
I think you're my twin o shocked shocked

big_bumper:

No one really likes being judged, so they see it as an affront to their person when you challenge their parenting skills or lack of cheesy
Instead of being thankful that someone is helping teaching your child?
Oga o. . . .my aunt used to be like "e nan wan dada. elo batami" grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 10:24pm On Mar 31, 2009
Ebony, it is simple: Bami na omo mi ko denu olomo
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by bigbumper(f): 10:26pm On Mar 31, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

LOL, are you stalking me?
That's what I do?

Once I give the long stare and angry body posture, they know not to cross me.
But the baby still does not get it. He just cries when he knows am angry, because he knows he did something wrong

Like you, I have been around babies long enough to know that they can be so manipulative, chei cheesy As for your little one that cries because he knows he is guilty, let him cry, na hin get hin mouth, that is one of the reason Tylenol and Calpol was created cheesy Those fake tears don't last though, because as soon as you give in to them, the tears disappears straightaway cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by bigbumper(f): 10:32pm On Mar 31, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

I think you're my twin o shocked shocked
Instead of being thankful that someone is helping teaching your child?
Oga o. . . .my aunt used to be like "e nan wan dada. elo batami" grin grin

Oya come join me and Jennikadri so that we can become Nairaland's first and only triplet, I would gladly trade her in for you sef, her wahala is too much and is starting to affect my blood pressure grin I don't even have the gut to use my old username (Busy_body) again for fear of the fire and brimstone that people would rain on my head cheesy Can you imagine the calamity that would befall me if I innocently say hi to someone Busy_bodi had sent to their parents before shocked grin grin grin

Like Tgirl rightly said, that na no go area, unless you want them to swear for you behind your back for your asheju cheesy

Tgirl4real:

Hello stranger angry angry angry O ti kun le ki iyalode ni ale yi ni, ki nto fa eti mi, afara  angry angry angry grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:33pm On Mar 31, 2009
big_bumper:

Like you, I have been around babies long enough to know that they can be so manipulative, chei cheesy As for your little one that cries because he knows he is guilty, let him cry, na hin get hin mouth, that is one of the reason Tylenol and Calpol was created cheesy Those fake tears don't last though, because as soon as you give in to them, the tears disappears straightaway cheesy grin cheesy
rotflmao. . . . OMG!
You wan overdose your baby?

I was watching a Pediatric ER episode (My fave show), and a child was brought into the ER to be treated for overdoes of Tylenol. It was Halloween so candies were all around the house, the child must have thought the medications were also candies, swallow them. Pretty sad.

Which brought me to my next question:

How do you keep children away from the possibly harmful products such as medications and detergents in the house?
Because if they want to get it, they will CLIMB and get it!!

Tgirl4real:

LOL, translate : Help me beat my child to turn to sth sth? translate pla grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:34pm On Mar 31, 2009
big_bumper:

Oya come join me and Jennikadri so that we can become Nairaland's first and only triplet, I would gladly trade her in for you sef, her wahala is too much and is affecting my blood pressure grin grin grin

Like Tgirl rightly said, that na no go area, unless you want them to swear for you behind your back for your asheju cheesy

Hello stranger angry angry angry O ti kun le ki iyalode ni ale yi ni, ki nto fa eti mi, afara angry angry angry grin

true that, esp if it's in naija. cheiii! grin grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by bigbumper(f): 10:45pm On Mar 31, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

rotflmao. . . . OMG!
You wan overdose your baby?

Na that one you see, not saying anything, but do you know the power of Brandy(ogogoro) and the wonder and magic one drop of it can perform lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Ebony-Silk:

I was watching a Pediatric ER episode (My fave show), and a child was brought into the ER to be treated for overdoes of Tylenol. It was Halloween so candies were all around the house, the child must have thought the medications were also candies, swallow them. Pretty sad.

Aawww, that is pretty sad, not everyone is fit to be a parent, but then it could have been left around by mistake sha sad

Ebony-Silk:

Which brought me to my next question:

How do you keep children away from the possibly harmful products such as medications and detergents in the house?
Because if they want to get it, they will CLIMB and get it!!

LOL, translate : Help me beat my child to turn to sth sth? translate pla grin grin

You just have to be careful all the time. One thing about being a good parent is that once you have a baby, it turns your life upside down, your priorities in life changes, you see everything in a different perspective and your world constantly revolves around your children, so you are constantly thinking about them all the time and trying to make sure they come to no harm smiley

As per the translation, I don't really know how to "translate" it, but I know the meaning somehow sha, I wonder how I got A1 in Yoruba for my GCSE cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 31, 2009
Lol, pardon us that's never even taken a yoruba class grin grin

big_bumper:

Na that one you see, not saying anything, but do you know the power of Brandy(ogogoro) and the wonder and magic one drop of it can perform lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Aawww, that is pretty sad, not everyone is fit to be a parent, but then it could have been left around by mistake sha sad

You just have to be careful all the time. One thing about being a good parent is that once you have a baby, it turns your life upside down, your priorities in life changes, you see everything in a different perspective and your world constantly revolves around your children, so you are constantly thinking about them all the time and trying to make sure they come to no harm smiley

As per the translation, I don't really know how to "translate" it, but I know the meaning somehow sha, I wonder how I got A1 in Yoruba for my GCSE cheesy cheesy cheesy
True that. lol, your life is no longer yours once the babe pops in.

Yea, but How do you keep those materials safe?
Cabinet? Lock? What?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:02pm On Mar 31, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

Yea, but How do you keep those materials safe?
Cabinet? Lock? What?

have a cabinet and lock it and remember to hide those keys
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 11:06pm On Mar 31, 2009
~Sissy~:

have a cabinet and lock it and remember to hide those keys
So I can break the door in when I lose the key abi? embarassed tongue

@post
What do you do when a baby runs a high fever?
Do you take the baby str8 to ER or do you wait a while and massage the baby with a warm blankey or do you bath the baby?
Any medication be applied?

I mean, even when you get to ER, you have to wait for the doc. So is it better to treat the baby at home or take am str8 to ER?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:30pm On Mar 31, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

So I can break the door in when I lose the key abi? embarassed tongue

@post
What do you do when a baby runs a high fever?
Do you take the baby str8 to ER or do you wait a while and massage the baby with a warm blankey or do you bath the baby?
Any medication be applied?

I mean, even when you get to ER, you have to wait for the doc. So is it better to treat the baby at home or take am str8 to ER?

hahaha cheesy cheesy

you can always put the keys under your bed/pillow

if the fever is a mild one, then give him/her tylenol for children or an other similar children medication
and if the fever dont stop, then call the doc.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 11:31pm On Mar 31, 2009
~Sissy~:

hahaha cheesy cheesy

you can always put the keys under your bed/pillow

if the fever is a mild one, then give him/her tylenol for children or an other similar children medication
and if the fever dont stop, then call the doc.
For an infant yea, but for a baby?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 11:38pm On Mar 31, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

For an infant yea, but for a baby?

If the baby is less than 2 months old and her temperature is higher than 100.4 F, you should call her pediatrician immediately.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 11:45pm On Mar 31, 2009
~Sissy~:

If the baby is less than 2 months old and her temperature is higher than 100.4 F, you should call her pediatrician immediately.
Okay. . . . wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 9:18am On Apr 01, 2009
Ebony, na wa for all ya questions o. Anyway, Sissy and Iyalode answered. Lol

Translation: 'help me beat my child' doesn't go down well with the mother.

I think that is the best I can get o. Not that good with translations.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 12:21am On Apr 02, 2009
Tgirl4real:

Ebony, na wa for all ya questions o. Anyway, Sissy and Iyalode answered. Lol

Translation: 'help me beat my child' doesn't go down well with the mother.

I think that is the best I can get o. Not that good with translations.
Thanks. . . .kilo se questions mi na? tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply)

My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter / He Started Smuching His Mother When He Was 4yrs Old. True Life Story / My Wife’s Salary Was A Mystery Until I Discovered How Much She’s Truly Worth*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.