Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,938 members, 7,952,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:16 AM

Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple (2500 Views)

Justice Ademola’s Acquittal: Presidency Frowns As FG Appeals Judgment / Buhari's Return Put Off Again As Doctors Refuse To Give Clean Bill Of Health / Appeals Court Declares Senator Dino Melaye's Election Tribunal Should Be Retried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 5:15pm On Aug 13, 2015
A suburban Denver baker who wouldn't make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple cannot cite his religious beliefs in refusing them service because it would lead to discrimination, the Colorado Court of Appeals ruled Thursday.

The decision is the latest victory for gay couples, who have won similar cases in other states. Gay rights supporters and religious freedom advocates have passionately debated whether individuals can cite their beliefs as a basis for declining to participate in a same-sex wedding ceremony.

And it is bound to get more heated after the U.S. Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide.

In the Colorado case, Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop, declined to make a cake for Charlie Craig and David Mullins in 2012. They were married in Massachusetts but planned to celebrate in Colorado.

After the ruling, Phillips faces fines if he refuses to make wedding cakes for gay couples. Phillips has maintained that he has no problem serving gay people at his store but says that making a wedding cake for a same-sex wedding would violate his Christian beliefs.

His attorneys have said they would consider appealing up to the U.S. Supreme Court. They said there are bound to be more cases where businesses' religious convictions clash with gay rights.

In recent cases elsewhere, a bakery in the Portland, Oregon, area that declined to make a wedding cake for a gay couple two years ago was ordered to pay $135,000 in damages in July.

Two years ago, the New Mexico Supreme Court ruled that a photographer who wouldn't take pictures of a gay couple's 2006 commitment ceremony violated the state's anti-discrimination law.

And in Washington state, a florist has been fighting a lawsuit filed after she refused to provide services for a gaywedding in 2013.

Phillips' case started in Colorado's Civil Rights Commission, where Craig and Mullins filed their complaint. In December 2013, a judge for the commission ruled that Phillips discriminated against the couple and ordered him to change his store policy against making cakes for gay weddings or face fines.

Phillips then went to the Colorado Court of Appeals.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/masterpiece-cakeshop-gay-wedding-cake-discrimination?utm_content=buffer70402&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 13, 2015
hahahahahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

they should all get octopus to tell them which client to allow into their office premises or not before casala burst.
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 5:18pm On Aug 13, 2015
Sagamite was right cool
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 13, 2015
I believe people have the inherent right to refuse commercial services to anyone. Forcing florists or bakers to provide services to same-sex couples is tantamount to dictatorship.

4 Likes

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by doublewisdom: 5:40pm On Aug 13, 2015
The bakery can always say it has run out of flour.

5 Likes

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Sagamite(m): 5:47pm On Aug 13, 2015
So much for that ignorant but yet hackneyed "how does what 2 consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom affect you" that self-proclaimed "liberals" ask and feel it is an intelligent question.

5 Likes

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 5:48pm On Aug 13, 2015
CFCfan:
I believe people have the inherent right to refuse commercial services to anyone. Forcing florists or bakers to provide services to same-sex couples is tantamount to dictatorship.

I will simply say I can't bake that design. grin
I wonder why gay couples are always playing victim, what evidence do they have that they were turned down because they are gay?

Even if that's the case. Na them open shop for the person? Every business man reserves the right to provide services to whoever he deems fit. They gat too much rights over there o

4 Likes

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by crackhaus: 5:52pm On Aug 13, 2015
So I guess if the baker turns down the offer to bake for a gay couples' wedding because he/she has been overbooked, it won't be called discrimination huh..
I keep saying that these gay folks as well as their apologists are not only genetically malformed, but categorically & inherently stvpid.

I mean why do they keep trying to force people into accepting their shitty sexual orientation...

5 Likes

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 13, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

I will simply say I can't bake that design. grin
I wonder why gay couples are always playing victim, what evidence do they have that they were turned down because they are gay?

Even if that's the case. Na them open shop for the person? Every business man reserves the right to provide services to whoever he deems fit. They gat too much rights over there o
Nne, the case may go all the way to the US Supreme Court. I'll predict that the Court will hold that private businesses have the right to refuse service to anybody.
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Afam4eva(m): 7:02pm On Aug 13, 2015
This is what scares me about America. They talk of fundamental human right yet I'm forced to do what I don't want.

3 Likes

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by jmoore(m): 7:36pm On Aug 13, 2015
It is no longer " God bless America" but " God save America"

2 Likes

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Sagamite(m): 11:10am On Aug 15, 2015
CFCfan:

Nne, the case may go all the way to the US Supreme Court. I'll predict that the Court will hold that private businesses have the right to refuse service to anybody.

Look at how people are affected at work for not supporting homosexual agenda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicky_Morgan_%28politician%29#Minister_for_Women_and_Equalities

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Grayling#Gay_couples_in_B.26Bs_controversy

Those are 2 current cabinet ministers.

See the way they were dragooned to eventually publicly support homosexuality?

I have said it severally, it is not tolerated in the UK for any public figure (especially a politician) to publicly be against homosexual agenda.

The press and homosexual mafia will vilify that person.

And some fuuktards would turn around and ask that moronic question "how does what 2 consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom affect you"? Asking it feeling funky and intellectual.

Cretins!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by bonechamberlain(m): 11:14am On Aug 15, 2015
its a private business they can choose who to render their services to.
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by PAINGAIN: 11:20am On Aug 15, 2015
CFCfan:
this is d same as saying a baker should refuse services to someone bcus he is black. Although I am against gays but what I'm against is them getting married. I always ask, do they have to get married? Why can't they just b gay without marriage? Must marriage be involved?
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 10:28pm On Aug 16, 2015
Dictatorship? Infringement on human rights?

The same way there are state and federal civil rights laws that firmly prohibit employment discrimination, there are also anti-discrimination laws in places of public accommodation for reasons of race, color, national origin/ancestry, sex/gender, orientation, religion/creed and physical/mental disability. Even those "We Reserve The Right To Refuse Service" signs you'll occasionally spot hanging in some of your favorite businesses are almost pure decoration, and can only be enforced in circumstances revolving around the patron causing a public nuisance, refusing to pay for services rendered, etc. Rendering services to a gay/lesbian isn't tantamount to dictatorship, nor is it a human rights issue! I find the suggestion, among certain other ludicrous comments referencing this post, extremely amusing. Your rights only extend so far as they're not infringing on the rights of others.

Read up on Plessy vs. Ferguson, a landmark historic ruling that encouraged segregation and declared it constitutional to refuse services to an individual based on race back in late 1800's, and come to a realization on how far things have come and why its important to have anti-discrimination laws in our public businesses. Otherwise, you could as well argue that the same way a business shouldn't have to render services to flaming faggs, they should also be free as their name-day to pointedly refuse services to anyone based on race, religion, creed, or any reason they see fit in our free society today, and see how you like THAT idea. Yeesh!

5 Likes

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by revolt(m): 10:49pm On Aug 16, 2015
CFCfan:
NO LOOK AT IT THIS WAY. JEWS GENTILES, PAGANS, ISLAMISTS.....or black, white, coloured ppl....based on personal beliefs who do they have the right to discriminate against? The anti discriminatory laws were put in place to check racim. Now we know the kk as a religous sect blves the blackman to be a lower creature ie if hes a cake maker he will not render services to a negro ..the ANTI discriminatory laws illegalises ALL forms of discrimination, be it religous, political, socio cultural etc. Wonder wht the fuss is ef, simply mke the cakes ridiculously expensive wthout attributing it to their sexuality...errrm i knw tht sector isnt regulated by govt. too much ado bout this issue..

SAY NO TO DISCRIMINATION IN ANY FORM

1 Like

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by revolt(m): 10:55pm On Aug 16, 2015
Sagamite:

Look at how people are affected at work for not supporting homosexual agenda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicky_Morgan_%28politician%29#Minister_for_Women_and_Equalities

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Grayling#Gay_couples_in_B.26Bs_controversy

Those are 2 current cabinet ministers.

See the way they were dragooned to eventually publicly support homosexuality?

I have said it severally, it is not tolerated in the UK for any public figure (especially a politician) to publicly be against homosexual agenda.

The press and homosexual mafia will vilify that person.

And some fuuktards would turn around and ask that moronic question "how does what 2 consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom affect you"? Asking it feeling funky and intellectual.

Cretins!
REMOVE HOMOSEXUALITY AND REPLACE IT
WITH NEGRO EQUALITY.....hope u get the drift now.

1 Like

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by revolt(m): 10:58pm On Aug 16, 2015
crackhaus:
So I guess if the baker turns down the offer to bake for a gay couples' wedding because he/she has been overbooked, it won't be called discrimination huh..
I keep saying that these gay folks as well as their apologists are not only genetically malformed, but categorically & inherently stvpid.

I mean why do they keep trying to force people into accepting their shitty sexual orientation...
read the story, the baker said its against his religous belief.....he cud hve used another xcuse not discriminate....i mean there r loads of excuses naw.
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by crackhaus: 11:20am On Aug 17, 2015
revolt:
read the story, the baker said its against his religous belief..... he cud hve used another xcuse not discriminate.... i mean there r loads of excuses naw.
Isn't this the point I was making, or you just needed to type something contrary? grin

If I was a smart Baker and a gay couple required my services, I might as well make up another excuse so it's not seen as discrimination even when in my heart, I truly didn't accept because of their sexual orientation.

This is why I called them stvpid in my initial comment, because the joke would be on them... get it?
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 2:26pm On Aug 17, 2015
crackhaus:

Isn't this the point I was making, or you just needed to type something contrary? grin

If I was a smart Baker and a gay couple required my services, I might as well make up another excuse so it's not seen as discrimination even when in my heart, I truly didn't accept because of their sexual orientation.

This is why I called them stvpid in my initial comment, because the joke would be on them... get it?

It reminds of Muslim taxi drivers who're complaining about patrons bringing their dogs along for the ride. If your religion prohibits you from making contact with dogs, you probably shouldn't work in the public transportation sector where you'll come in contact with all kinds of pets, dogs especially and seeing eye-dogs inclusive. If your religion prohibits you from selling smokes and alcohol, maybe your shouldn't work at that corner store. If you're a darn florist, and you can't get yourself to arrange some flowers for a gay couple because of your religion, then you better get ready 'cuz gays don't joke with their bouquets!

As Americans, if we're trigger/gun happy, we're def money happy. And when we're unhappy, we sue! grin

You're a baker, aren't you? You'd better bake that damn cake before I sue your ar.se to oblivion! lol

Dude, you won't even know what hit you.

3 Likes

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 17, 2015
Sagamite:
So much for that ignorant but yet hackneyed "how does what 2 consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom affect you" that self-proclaimed "liberals" ask and feel it is an intelligent question.

Walahi, you're hilarious.
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by olapluto(m): 2:35pm On Aug 17, 2015
I am against homosexuality, but the law is correct against discrimination. However, there are reasonable limits. No one should be discriminated against on account of their 'modus operandi a sextum'. Once homosexuality is decriminalised in the US, it becomes a unacceptable to treat them differently.
However, I believe there are limits. You cannot expect a pastor who works at a bakery to help u draw a graphically homo design on a cake. Just like no supreme court can force a Muslim to make a cake with the holy prophet on it the way Charlie Hebdo does.
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by otabuko(m): 2:58pm On Aug 17, 2015
Am sure they'd make cake for i and my love...
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by crackhaus: 3:57pm On Aug 17, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

It reminds of Muslim taxi drivers who're complaining about patrons bringing their dogs along for the ride. If your religion prohibits you from making contact with dogs, you probably shouldn't work in the public transportation sector where you'll come in contact with all kinds of pets, dogs especially and seeing eye-dogs inclusive. If your religion prohibits you from selling smokes and alcohol, maybe your shouldn't work at that corner store. If you're a darn florist, and you can't get yourself to arrange some flowers for a gay couple because of your religion, then you better get ready 'cuz gays don't joke with their bouquets!

As Americans, if we're trigger/gun happy, we're def money happy. And when we're unhappy, we sue! grin

You're a baker, aren't you? You'd better bake that damn cake before I sue your ar.se to oblivion! lol

But I'm overbooked for the weekend and for lack of time and resources after being spread so thin, I can't accept your request for my services.

Why would you sue me for getting overbooked, isn't America the land of the free and home of the brave anymore?

5 Likes

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by gists: 4:10pm On Aug 17, 2015
Which kind wahala be this? Is it by force to render my service?
Is it not a violation of my fundamental human right to force me to do what I don't want to do - even if I don't cite religious belief.
SMH

1 Like

Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by omoharry(f): 4:28pm On Aug 17, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Are here you are ...A proud citizen of a very sick society called AMERICA...you should be ashamed of the nonsense that comes out of your mouth. Rubbish.
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 17, 2015
crackhaus:

But I'm overbooked for the weekend and for lack of time and resources after being spread so thin, I can't accept your request for my services.

Why would you sue me for getting overbooked, isn't America the land of the free and home of the brave anymore?

Sly you. That would've been the smarter approach. He should've known better.

Remember that controversy over the bar sign? We actually have one hanging locally. You can get away with certain things in some areas.
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 17, 2015
omoharry:
Are here you are ...A proud citizen of a very sick society called AMERICA...you should be ashamed of the nonsense that comes out of your mouth. Rubbish.

Lol. Don't tempt me. I'm not in that kind of mood. Simply point out the nonsense and dispute it.
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by crackhaus: 4:54pm On Aug 17, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

Sly you. That would've been the smarter approach. He should've known better.

Remember that controversy over the bar sign? We actually have one hanging locally. You can get away with certain things in some areas.
People should be allowed to choose who they want to render their services to regardless.
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 17, 2015
crackhaus:

People should be allowed to choose who they want to render their services to regardless.

In heterogeneous society like America, that opens up a Pandora's box better left untouched. If you're opening a business to the public, your business is open to the public. Catering to a gay person hardly makes you an LGBT supporter.
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by manny4life(m): 6:29pm On Aug 17, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

It's comments like this that seriously make me pity mankind. What are you talking about? Is a taxi ride "Public Transportation"? It's their taxi, their own vehicle and they obtained a city permit to ride it, what makes it "public transportation"? Like race, religion is a protected class and as such, if my religion bars me from such, then so be it. I can simply refuse a ride to anyone with animals because I want it. Same reason why retail stores bar persons with animals (except service animals) into the store. The store is the property of the owner, and just because they extend their service to you (public) doesn't mean you have a right to them.
Re: Appeals Court: Bakery Can't Refuse To Make Wedding Cake For Gay Couple by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 17, 2015
manny4life:

It's comments like this that seriously make me pity mankind. What are you talking about? Is a taxi ride "Public Transportation"? It's their taxi, their own vehicle and they obtained a city permit to ride it, what makes it "public transportation"? Like race, religion is a protected class and as such, if my religion bars me from such, then so be it. I can simply refuse a ride to anyone with animals because I want it. Same reason why retail stores bar persons with animals (except service animals) into the store. The store is the property of the owner, and just because they extend their service to you (public) doesn't mean you have a right to them.

My comment made you pity mankind?

Yes! Taxis are among the public accommodation services held accountable to anti-discriminatory laws. Why are you a taxi driver if you're refusing tired, travel-worn people left and right because they have vintage wines from their travels, are visibly gay, or are carrying a dog with them for Pete's sake. Clearly, you need to reconsider your job title if your religion prohibits you from carrying it out. Its common sense.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Lines Up El-rufai And 4 Other Witnesses Against Saraki / Ogundamisi Finally React To Buhari 2016 Budget - Photo / Johesu Threatens Indefinite Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.