Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,622 members, 7,820,205 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' (28192 Views)

At What Age Should I Open Bank Account For My Child? / Woman Steals Bride’s Money At Wedding / A Bitter True Story Of My Child's Delivery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 19, 2015
tell hm d story of 'oyenusi'...tank me later
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by harry509: 9:29pm On Aug 19, 2015
Aminat508:
How do you react when you have a young child that steals? You've talked to him/her several times, told him/her everything that has to be said about the consequences of pilfering. You do ALL you can to provide his needs and wants. But he keeps 'doing it'. How do you help or stop such a child? A reader sent this in yesterday:

Hello,

My son steals from me, my husband, my mother, his grandparents, his friends, everybody!! Please, let's discuss this here because I'm sure I'm not the only mother having this problem. If it's not money, it's things as small as tiny toys and games from neighbors. Sincerely, it's gotten so bad I don't know what to do with him anymore. My husband and I now have locks on our bedroom door to keep him out.

Problem started when he was 11 and got into boarding school. He is 13 now. I've threatened him that next time he steals, I would have the police involved. Of course I don't want to or plan to do that but I don't know what else to do.

Source :http://www..com/talk/topic,250835.0.html
hmmmmm! Dis is terrible and sum how ooh. U better take him 2 deliverance center now ooh b4 he turn 2 dis......

1 Like

Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by Nobody: 9:31pm On Aug 19, 2015
Keep praying for him. He will grow pass the stage.
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by flokii: 9:31pm On Aug 19, 2015
Aminat508:
How do you react when you have a young child that steals? You've talked to him/her several times, told him/her everything that has to be said about the consequences of pilfering. You do ALL you can to provide his needs and wants. But he keeps 'doing it'. How do you help or stop such a child? A reader sent this in yesterday:

Hello,

My son steals from me, my husband, my mother, his grandparents, his friends, everybody!! Please, let's discuss this here because I'm sure I'm not the only mother having this problem. If it's not money, it's things as small as tiny toys and games from neighbors. Sincerely, it's gotten so bad I don't know what to do with him anymore. My husband and I now have locks on our bedroom door to keep him out.

Problem started when he was 11 and got into boarding school. He is 13 now. I've threatened him that next time he steals, I would have the police involved. Of course I don't want to or plan to do that but I don't know what else to do.

@OP stealing runs in your bloodline... either you or d father.. go figure

1 Like

Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by LOVEGINO(m): 9:31pm On Aug 19, 2015
Kleptomania? Na wa 2 u oo! Na sanko tins na.
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by GoodMuyis(m): 9:31pm On Aug 19, 2015
Prayer, Spiritual, Teaching, Watching, Nurturing, Monitoring... All have to be tried.

At this teenage, you have to be experimental, since you may not know why he do steel, in fact if he get caught himself may feel bad about it. I remember I myself do steal from my Mum a lot when was 9-11 (never from outsider) but getting to teenage I just develop hate for stealing because i dont feel comfortable doing it, mine should be miracle.

You have to be experimental on him, but dont be harsh on him. try to engage him in some activities, like house chores, let him do his assignment by himself in fact add more to his activities but not overwhelming.

If he doesnt lie then his case is just psychological and if he was engaged in some productive activities stealing habit may leave him soon. You yourself need to monitor him, ask him a lot of question that will bring him close to you, and be ready to provide the answer as well. try as much as possible to get close to you so he would be able to open his mind to you.

Pray for Him and teach him how to pray

Let me stop here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by Crativjosh(m): 9:31pm On Aug 19, 2015
Beat craze from the pikin body , then talk to him. assure him he wud receive twice the beating if he steals again. spare the rod, spoli the child.
I remember when i stole biscuit from our gatemans kiosk and i was caught, the beating my dad gave me, stills plays in my head clearly... deadly beating.
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by francizy(m): 9:33pm On Aug 19, 2015
Show him videos of people that were burnt for stealing..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by rman: 9:35pm On Aug 19, 2015
No child starts stealing at age 11, he probably started taking things not his at a very young age. By age 5, if a kid takes what is not his or hers without asking, they should be punished and counselled.

If he is a kleptomaniac, it is more psychological and you should try to find out when this kid probably crave your attention and support and you were not there.

The healing process is long but you have to start by getting closer to him and giving him responsibilities that requires trust. Open up the locked rooms or put the valuables there in his care. By passing the guilty verdict on him, he will definitely play the role of ''catch me if u can by revolting ''. Also, during holidays, ensure he is fully occupied in productive activities including sports. And you can teach him a skill that can earn him small change or let him develop one he is passionate about.

The process will be gradual and you should not feel depressed if he goes back to his old habits even when u think progress has been made. He is still young and the father needs to play a critical role in all of this. It is not all thieves that steal because of needs, sometimes it is a way for very smart kids to show us sometimes they can get away with it. You need to analyse properly to know which one is the reason for your kids stealing because same approach won't work for both.

The old ways of corporal punishment sometimes work, if the kid has genuine love and respect for your feelings. Because most kids do not like disappointing their parents. If you are not so sure of this, don't try corporal punishment as it will backfire big time.

Best of luck as I sincerely believe at his age, it is still not a lost cause.

2 Likes

Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by rafcrown(m): 9:35pm On Aug 19, 2015
REFER HIM TO THE SCHOOL COUNSELLORS-CONFIDENTIAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL APPROACHES.

1 Like

Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by shepherdnoble: 9:36pm On Aug 19, 2015
Take him to SCOAN prayer line.
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by IYANGBALI: 9:37pm On Aug 19, 2015
Take him to sharia state where his hands will be cut off if he steals. Remember what the bible says,if your right hand will make you steal,cut it off. Its better for him to live without hands than to disgrace you or tarnish your image

1 Like

Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by tete7000(m): 9:39pm On Aug 19, 2015
Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far away. (Proverbs 22:15)

13 Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish them with the rod, they will not die.
14 Punish them with the rod and save them from death. (Proverbs 23: 13-14)

1 Like

Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by anyicash(m): 9:40pm On Aug 19, 2015
Ask your hubby when he stopped stealing during his time; it will help you wait till ur son stops.
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by rman: 9:41pm On Aug 19, 2015
No child starts stealing at age 11, he probably started taking things not his at a very young age. By age 5, if he a kid takes what is not his or hers without asking, they should be punished and counselled.

If he is a kleptomaniac, it is more psychological and you should try to find out when this kids probably crave your attention and support and you were not there.

The healing process is long but you have to start by getting closer to him and giving him responsibilities that requires trust. Open up the locked rooms or put the valuables there in his care. By passing the guilty verdict on him, by denying him access to the rooms, he will definitely play the role of ''catch me if u can by revolting ''. Also, during holidays, ensure his is fully occupied in productive activities including sports. You also teach him a skill that can earn him small change or let him develop one he is passionate about.

The process should be gradual and you should not feel depressed if he goes back to his old habits even when u think progress has been made. He is still young and the father needs to play a critical role in all of this. It is not all thieves that steal because of needs, sometimes it is a way of very smart kids to show us sometimes they can get away with it. You need to analyse properly to know which one is the reason for your kids reason for stealing because same approach won't work for both.

The old ways of corporal punishment sometimes work, if the kid has genuine love and respect your feelings. Because most kids do not like disappointing their parents. If you are not so sure about this, don't try corporal punishment as it will backfire big time.

Best of luck as I sincerely believe at his age, it is still not a lost cause.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by northvietnam(m): 9:41pm On Aug 19, 2015
I see a Tinubu in the making, please rejoice cs Tinubu has reincarnated in your child
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 19, 2015
Aminat508:

Hello,

he will stop on his own, when your parents are self sufficient, but a child still steals, its most likely a phase, an adventurous rebellious phase, he question all and trying to find his way, letting his curiosity and whim lead him, right now his operating under the whip of his teenage stage, wisdom is not developed by words or in a day, genuie wisdom is the product of genuine contemplation,, give him time, he would out grow it, just keep scolding, teaching, pointing out whats right and do not waver in your resolve, hammer it into his head that his a good child, a good person, he will realize his falling short of his own expectations NOT YOURZ.
HIS LISTENING BUT NOT PAYING NOT PAYING ATTENTION, HE KNOWS WHAT IS RIGHT, THE WILL / REASON TO DO IS WHAT H3 LACKS.

IN OTHER TO GAIN CONTROL, YOU MUST HAVE LOST IT AT ONE POINT IN YOUR LIFE.

SOME SOULS ARE NATURA WONDERERS, NATURAL TROUBLED, VEXED, CURIOUS, SEEKERS ETC everyone is not the same, but end we all find our way.

I also went through that phase too, men i gave my parents tough time,and funny thing my dad was a soldier then, no punishment i did not do, down to been locked in guild room, i still gave them tough time, down to scaling fence, running away from home to sleep outside under bridge, roaming in the dead of the night, when i stole there money and am done spending when time for retribution comes i run out, spend weeks outside like one homeless child, but ma parents were more than capable parents, it still dnt stop me, but eventually i out grew it, i found a reason to stop, not stop stealing, stealing was never ma problem, desiring, curiosity, foolishness, lavishing lifestyle was ma problem, the word for it is i was stupid and lacked wisdom/sense. Am natural not a conformist,independent and stubborn yet curious and intelligent "thats when am not skipping school" and yet i'll still cum match untop all there heads and still cum out amongst top 10 in class, but keeping me in school was a problem, i get bored with routines, and following a definite methodology.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by romzyxy(m): 9:44pm On Aug 19, 2015
MsBliss:
Carry am go Army school or report him to one soldier then leave him in the soldier's care for just one day.Go back in the evening to pick up your changed son.

D man in u has spoken.
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by ismayl: 9:46pm On Aug 19, 2015
Aminat508:

Hello,

sell him
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by princealexndre(m): 9:46pm On Aug 19, 2015
Cutehector:
Only Jesus can save him
so dey should leave him alone.....jesus would help him if his mummy finds smtin tangible to do abt it...if nah me....nah to find beta cain flog hin head...i rembrd my time...afta some time it sinked in....i stopped
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by ismayl: 9:50pm On Aug 19, 2015
demmy0325:
.. That doesnt look normal to me anymre.. Involve God.. Go seek Ur pastor...

involve pastor!!!!!!.the woman go get pregnant in 2weeks period!
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by Chima541(m): 9:52pm On Aug 19, 2015
I am occupied and can't go into detail on the hint I will give u below but u can send ur number through my email (chimaj541@gmail.com) so that I can give ur a call by 7:30 tomorrow.
This are the hints:
first: The both parent background
second: The friends of child and
Thirdly: The school the child attends.
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by Siradedor1: 9:57pm On Aug 19, 2015
The best way to secure a child's future is to bring the child up in the way of the lord. For the lady i will advice you is to take that boy for prayers and counseling i guess is in the age of accountability (knows between good and bad).thank
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by yudee233: 9:59pm On Aug 19, 2015
Maybe he belongs Everybody and belongs to Nobody
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by SuperT(m): 10:00pm On Aug 19, 2015
Please let him go for Deliverance. Continuing Pray for him. He is Destiny Child that why Enemy want to kill him before
his time. Special child always confront a lot of Battle. His that will say no to the Devil.
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by uyosolo: 10:01pm On Aug 19, 2015
Am trying to guess where he got dat gene from, his mum or dad? All doz stealing una dey do, including stealin biro, pencil, ppls notebook nd handout, pants, giraffin, stealin meat from ur mother's pot, dere is alwys a payday... Remind urself how u stopped nd bliev he wud stop... Dnt be afraid
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by azimibraun: 10:02pm On Aug 19, 2015
GB Or JJ is what I will recommend for him.

General Beating or Jungle Justice.

Na Joke O! Just turn to God.
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by otabuko(m): 10:05pm On Aug 19, 2015
kaorama:
Ask ur Mum what she did when she was in the same situation.
that's harsh bro... You know some of these behaviours, it's not as if maybe the parents must have lived such lives...
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by Nobody: 10:08pm On Aug 19, 2015
Best remedy so far is to jail him.........lol
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by akin33(m): 10:08pm On Aug 19, 2015
Take him to church for deliverance. It is an arrow from the enemy. Don't mind whatever is your believe, just do that to save his future. If you are doing fetish, it will only expand the problem.
Re: ''What Should I Do? My Child Steals From Everyone'' by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 19, 2015
Yhu have to find out the type of person he is, his character might not be a recessive one, dominant character and personality type usually equals stubborn and independent people, if you the parents do not possess the character he posses that might be a problem, cause you can not see things the way he sees them, he might feel misplaced "i did". Balancing personality, identity in the world today is not as easy as it sounds, for someone with a sense of identity or a natural conformity its easy but for a natural seeker, wonderer, independent, intelligent person it is not easy, its a bit more complex.

-i wasnt taught to steal by anyone, truth of the matter is i had no friends.
-when my parents up their game, i up main resourceful smart for the sack of been smart, i also believe there is a way. The way i analysis ma parents activities like calculator back then.

Point is i was questioning, exercising what i did not understand but had within me. Its not enough to say a child is intelligent, a child can be crafty too, attention to details, resourceful etc but like everything in life skill are mostly tested negatively first until realization sets in.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Habits You Must Quit To Be Happy / Pastor Snatches Wife Of Church Member In Osun / Things Every Female In Her 20’s Should Know (MUST READ)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.